Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Changed the upper and lower radiator hoses on the ITR, also the fluid and the thermostat. It now comes up to temperature when it's cold out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

trouser chili posted:

Changed the upper and lower radiator hoses on the ITR, also the fluid and the thermostat. It now comes up to temperature when it's cold out.

Had that same problem. Integras run colder than poo poo no matter what. Mine takes forever to warm up even on tepid days. When the thermo was broken the temp needle would barely move at all. There was at least one very cold drive to Waco and back a couple of Christmases ago :v:

Normal Person
Oct 14, 2011
Had a lovely time replacing the overdue spark plugs and blown A/C blower motor on my V8 Touareg today. By the way, gently caress you VW/Porsche for every under-the-dash job on this platform.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Anybody in Boise who would like to help me with this job? I will pay in Cigs/Beer/Pizza anything. I'm poor and this is the first time I have felt like I am in way over my head. :smith:

Painsaw
Jul 3, 2008

Butts lol
Finally got rid of the vibration problem in my 1977 international scout. Been chasing that goddamn thing for over a year. Turns out it was the front driveline all along. Removed it, vibration gone. Yay!

However, it shouldn't have been a problem. That means either my transfer case is messed up somehow (it was in 2HI and the front driveshaft was spinning somehow?) or my front locking hubs are shot.

Also my throttle cable is sticking :(

Apok
Jul 22, 2005
I have a title now!
I have an 04 350z. I had a bit of rattle on my rear passenger shock, which is a common problem. I installed new tokico d spec shocks and hotchkis springs but the rattle persisted. While checking the bolts for correct torque I snap a stud.

Today I sanded the stub down, drilled through it and jb welded a new bolt in. For those of you that don't know the z has a gigantic rear crossbar which makes accessing the welded stud impossible from the top (where it's welded). Therefore I had to drill through the bolt and widen the hole to fit the slightly bigger new bolt in.

The funny thing is that the jb welded bolt felt so much sturdier than the lovely stock studs. It's a common problem to have the studs snap before you torque it into spec

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

oh god how did this get in here I am not good with carburetors

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Painsaw posted:

Finally got rid of the vibration problem in my 1977 international scout. Been chasing that goddamn thing for over a year. Turns out it was the front driveline all along. Removed it, vibration gone. Yay!

However, it shouldn't have been a problem. That means either my transfer case is messed up somehow (it was in 2HI and the front driveshaft was spinning somehow?) or my front locking hubs are shot.

Also my throttle cable is sticking :(

You got lock-o-matics? They're notorious for locking up stupidly. As for the throttle cable, I don't recommend the OEM style units. Had too much trouble from them, I've hacked a LOKAR cable kit into it. If you've got a thermoquad or Holly 2210 two-barrel no hacking is necessary, but they won't fit the Holly 2300 correctly.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Car ate ANOTHER loving BELT. :wtf: Limped it about 1/2 mile to AutoZone with no alternator, water pump, or power steering (temp gauge got to a little above 1/2, but it threw the belt before it warmed up). Got another belt, this one was warrantied. Start installing the belt, discover the idler pulley is about to fall off. And it's a cheap idler pulley replacement - no grooves, no ridges, just smooth plastic, so when it wobbles the belt jumps around and gets caught on anything and everything.

So pissed I didn't notice the loose idler before. To get any kind of wrench on the idler you have to pull one of the motor mounts and lift the engine a bit on that side, which requires pulling the alternator and its brackets. Start to finish in AutoZone's parking lot was about 45 minutes, though I had a floor jack and a block of wood in the trunk.

Also, helped a friend change the timing chain guides on his the KA24E he bought off of Craigslist. Why the gently caress he bought a KA24E for a project car (2.4L with 130HP) is beyond me, particularly when the 240SX shell he has doesn't have an intact harness; but the chain had worn a nasty groove into the timing cover. At least it hadn't jumped, and the chain looks to be in good shape. I would hate to do that with the engine in the car.

timb posted:

If you get fired for it, all you have to do is call up the labor board. They'll take care of it REAL quick.

Edit: And if you do quit/get fired later on for any reason, if you've kept your pay stubs, you can demand your back wages to meet minimum wage. The company has 30 days to pay you or the labor board WILL get involved. When the labor board gets involved, so does the IRS.

A lot of these places don't give pay stubs anymore, or even paper checks. Direct deposit or you ain't getting paid - if you don't have a checking account, you get a prepaid debit card with some hilarious per-swipe fees. Want a pay stub? Ask the store manager to print one - some are dicks about it, though my boss didn't give 2 shits about people having them and gave me his password so I could print my own. Needed them for school financial aid, my 2011 income was less than 1/4 of my 2010 income and they wanted proof before adjusting my 2011-2012 aid.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I installed one of these

with these

using these

and

on one of these

It was a pain the rear end.

edit: oh yeah these too:

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Feb 22, 2012

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
Yesterday I put new trunk lifts on my 2002 Monte Carlo after they quickly got weak and died entirely. It was like $35 for the pair. I was worried about installation because I didn't see any visible bolts that I could remove, but when they arrived and I realized it was just a ball joint you pop off at both ends it was super easy and now I can put things in my trunk without it coming down on my head.

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.
I cleaned all the poo poo off the hood release latches on my 850 so I can reliably get it open :v:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I hired a mobile ase certified mechanic to finish the timing chain job. 150$. I feel ashamed as this is the first time I have ever hired someone to get me out of the poo poo. :smith:

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006

ratbert90 posted:

I hired a mobile ase certified mechanic to finish the timing chain job. 150$. I feel ashamed as this is the first time I have ever hired someone to get me out of the poo poo. :smith:

Don't feel bad, I had to do the exact same thing last month. Started a timing belt change on my GTI, old belt slipped because something broke off from the guard and got caught in the gears before I had marked it.

I had a really good idea of how to set the timing from scratch, but I was scared shitless because it's an interference engine and I didn't want to take the risk.

Turns out a guy who worked at the local Advance Auto was also an ASE certified mechanic who happened to do a lot of personal work on VWs. Asked if he would come out and help me, he spent 5 hours showing me all sorts of cool tricks and helped me get the entire thing buttoned back up.

Car started like a champ. He only asked for $50. I gave him $150 without blinking an eye.

Nothing wrong with admitting you're in over your head and getting help.

HATE TROLL TIM fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Feb 23, 2012

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I'm glad I did. The VQ was ran hard and never maintained well it looks like. We got the upper oil pan off (both seals were leaking,) and the timing chain cover off.

Problems:
Timing chain was real REAL loose.
Main timing guide was chewed up.
Cam chain A was loose :gonk:
Plastic bits all over the inside of the timing chain cover
Front main leaks
Front upper oil pan leaks
Front Valve Cover leaks
Front Valve cover Spark plug seals leak.

Thank god for a timing chain kit and a full gasket kit! Finally, a good running VQ30DE with no leaks!

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

First time I've been on the highway since getting new tires (1.5 to 2 weeks?). Car was difficult to control, kept trying to dart off in new and exciting directions. I've never had the alignment checked, but the tires seem to wear evenly and I've never had problems with it pulling before. It was like someone removed every bushing in the front end.

Checked the tire pressures about an hour after I got home. LF was 45 PSI. RF was 52. Door sticker says 28, tire sidewalls says 35 max. :wtf: I figure they're not completely cooled after 1 hour, but goddamn. I dropped them to about 30, though I won't be driving it again until Sunday.

I've never had anyone overinflate tires that badly before. A lot of shops are guilty of inflating to the max sidewall pressure (usually 35), but 35 doesn't make a massive difference in handling vs the recommended 28.

Detroit Q. Spider posted:

Had that same problem. Integras run colder than poo poo no matter what. Mine takes forever to warm up even on tepid days. When the thermo was broken the temp needle would barely move at all. There was at least one very cold drive to Waco and back a couple of Christmases ago :v:

My LS warmed up really quick - if it was above freezing, I had heat within half a mile, assuming I started it and let it idle for 10-15 seconds before taking off. Temp gauge was up to normal within 5 minutes. Also, cardboard is your friend when you have a stuck thermostat, just cut up an old box and shove it in front of half (or 3/4) of the radiator and keep an eye on the gauge.

My KA24DE Altima takes loving forever to warm up. At least a mile and a half before I get anything resembling heat from the heater, and 5+ miles before the needle gets to "normal". Before the new thermostat it would take about 20 minutes to get any heat whatsoever.

ratbert90 posted:

I'm glad I did. The VQ was ran hard and never maintained well it looks like. We got the upper oil pan off (both seals were leaking,) and the timing chain cover off.

Problems:
Timing chain was real REAL loose.
Main timing guide was chewed up.
Cam chain A was loose :gonk:

Nissan seems to consider timing chain guides to be a maintenance item. :gonk: My KA24DE's chain rattles for a few seconds at startup, which tells me either one of the guides is gone or the tensioner is clogged with sludge. And being a FWD version of the KA24DE, pulling the timing cover is impossible without pulling the engine. Thankfully I hardly drive at all since moving - the car might get 5 miles put on it during the week, weekends see anywhere from 20 to 100 depending if I go down into Dallas or not.

Just helped a friend change a tensioner on his KA24E - one was completely gone, and judging from the gouges in the block and timing cover, has been gone for a long time. Thankfully the engine wasn't in the car, so the only challenge was trying to find all the timing cover bolts buried under 2 inches of solidified oil.

edit: vvvv this tire shop was the most shady I've ever dealt with, I should have walked when they started trying to switch poo poo around on me, but they didn't start that until they'd already removed my old tires from my wheels. also 35 was the max rated on my tires.... so 10-17 psi over the max. I get to fix a couple of crossthreaded lugs next week too. I've been to 24 hour tire shops in the heart of the ghetto that did better work, though at least this one didn't try to sell me rimz.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Feb 24, 2012

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

some texas redneck posted:

First time I've been on the highway since getting new tires. Car was difficult to control, kept trying to dart off in new and exciting directions. I've never had the alignment checked, but the tires seem to wear evenly and I've never had problems with it pulling before.

Checked the tire pressures about an hour after I got home. LF was 45 PSI. RF was 52. Door sticker says 28, tire sidewalls says 35 max. :wtf: I figure they're not completely cooled after 1 hour, but goddamn.

I had the exact same thing happen to me. Bouncing all over the highway on a road trip after getting an alignment so I checked the pressure when I stopped for gas. 45PSI all around, max was 32/30 front rear normally. 45PSI was the max rated pressure listed on the side of the tire, could a tire shop really be that dumb?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

law abiding rapist posted:

could a tire shop really be that dumb?

Is Schwarzenegger hard to spell without help from the squiggly red line? The answer to both: usually, for most people, probably.

Of course, then you have the opposite, where my Delta had 42psi on the door sticker, but shops refused to put above 30 in the tires rated for 55 on their sidewalls.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Nissan seems to consider timing chain guides to be a maintenance item. :gonk: My KA24DE's chain rattles for a few seconds at startup, which tells me either one of the guides is gone or the tensioner is clogged with sludge. And being a FWD version of the KA24DE, pulling the timing cover is impossible without pulling the engine. Thankfully I hardly drive at all since moving - the car might get 5 miles put on it during the week, weekends see anywhere from 20 to 100 depending if I go down into Dallas or not.

Just helped a friend change a tensioner on his KA24E - one was completely gone, and judging from the gouges in the block and timing cover, has been gone for a long time. Thankfully the engine wasn't in the car, so the only challenge was trying to find all the timing cover bolts buried under 2 inches of solidified oil.

Even better yet was timing for the cams was in the middle of a compression stroke. :cool: Good job Nissan! I love your engines and cars, but gently caress the timing chain on these things. When I pulled the cam tensioners I just laughed, they were ready to fall apart and had a groove about half a millimeter deep in both of them.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Ordered new door handles inside and out, a front fender, side mirror, valve cover gasket, trunk lid, and a front turn signal for my second car, a completely beat down and rough looking 1999 Toyota Corolla.
I am going to revive it back from it's sorry state and get it nice and shiny, or at least not as embarrassing to drive! Going to start a project thread once I install the first round of parts/repairs!

What it used to look like only a few years back and my goal of what it should look like again:

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Voltage posted:

Going to start a project thread once I install the first round of parts/repairs!

On paper, this sounds boring as gently caress, but I can't wait to see it. :)

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

GutBomb posted:

I installed one of these
with these
using these
and
on one of these
It was a pain the rear end.
edit: oh yeah these too:

Thanks for the detailed info and :google: images. :jerkbag:

Oil change day on the wife's van. With the garage full of poo poo, it's time to make some nice ink-blot style oil stains on the driveway again (winter day - driveway faces north and makes the undercarriage a wind tunnel).

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Stuff cardboard boxes in under the sides and back, go in from the front. Take a lamp.

Tentacle Party
Jul 2, 2003

(breathing intensifies)
After arriving at my new tropical address with the biggest garage of my life, I ripped the front bumper off...

REMOVED

Lots more rough roads up here so i'm worried about stray rocks. Already have a pin hole stone chip on the bonnet.

Tentacle Party fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Jan 4, 2013

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Tentacle Party posted:

After arriving at my new tropical address with the biggest garage of my life, I ripped the front bumper off...
Wow. That is an enormous garage. What is it, double deep two-car?

Tentacle Party
Jul 2, 2003

(breathing intensifies)

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Wow. That is an enormous garage. What is it, double deep two-car?

Almost. Its about 1 1/2 deep 2 car with a workshop area at the end. The guy who built it restored old CB Hondas and Z1s. Dude knew the value of a good garage.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

Tentacle Party posted:

Almost. Its about 1 1/2 deep 2 car with a workshop area at the end. The guy who built it restored old CB Hondas and Z1s. Dude knew the value of a good garage.

Goddamn, I want your garage and your car.

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Bunny-Bee makes me happy!
How far north did you come Tentacle Party?

As for me; I took my 18' wheels off and put the factory 17's back on because I absolutely chewed the rears up being a chucklefuck in the wet.

Tentacle Party
Jul 2, 2003

(breathing intensifies)

tobu posted:

How far north did you come Tentacle Party?

Sunny Innisfail. Work made the choice for me.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

My LS warmed up really quick - if it was above freezing, I had heat within half a mile, assuming I started it and let it idle for 10-15 seconds before taking off. Temp gauge was up to normal within 5 minutes. Also, cardboard is your friend when you have a stuck thermostat, just cut up an old box and shove it in front of half (or 3/4) of the radiator and keep an eye on the gauge.

Huh. My Integra's always taken forever to warm up, even when it's warm out. This is with a fresh thermo and everything (it would literally never heat up when I had a stuck thermo). I've toyed with the idea of blocking off the radiator but :effort:

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Bunny-Bee makes me happy!

Tentacle Party posted:

Sunny Innisfail. Work made the choice for me.

That's not too far in QLD terms then. Innisfail isn't so bad really but if you ever end up in the Ville let me know.

Zuiko-Digital
Aug 31, 2007
forever digital!
Went from:

to:

Took a lot of sanding, and panics about breaking the needles. Couldn't reach the mph lettering with sandpaper or screwdriver, so I'll be covering the back with some black paper so the green doesn't shine through. Why automakers in the 90s believed green was an acceptable interior lighting colour is beyond me.

Next will be full LED conversion to get rid of the hot spots, and to illuminate the needles properly.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

Zuiko-Digital posted:

Why automakers in the 90s believed green was an acceptable interior lighting colour is beyond me.

I may be pulling this out of my rear end, but I think that's for the same reason night vision goggles are green; the eye is most sensitive to those wavelengths of light. :science:

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

Rorac posted:

I may be pulling this out of my rear end, but I think that's for the same reason night vision goggles are green; the eye is most sensitive to those wavelengths of light. :science:

It is the color we have the broadest discernible spectrum of intensities.

Your eyes suck HARD at blue. Red is next best from green...

http://nfggames.com/games/ntsc/visual.shtm

See? YOU SUCK.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Zuiko-Digital posted:

Couldn't reach the mph lettering with sandpaper or screwdriver, so I'll be covering the back with some black paper so the green doesn't shine through.

I actually kind of like the effect of the MPH numbers being green.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
added STi splitters, replica lip and STi fog light covers.

for reference this is what it looked like long ago with a stock front end

goddamn this little iPhone camera sucks

horns aren't off center, just looks that way. Think the car is done until the summer time... put so much money into it (in fun stuff) over the winter. Worth it though.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

Ew.

Zuiko-Digital
Aug 31, 2007
forever digital!

MiniFoo posted:

Ew.

In your living room?!

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Best place to tear down a carb. Even a clean one like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

Zuiko-Digital posted:

In your living room?!

Do you remember the beginning of War of the Worlds where Tom Cruise is rebuilding an engine in his kitchen?

I secretly envied him.