Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011

babies havin rabies posted:

Edit: I'm glad I got the early education from my parents outside the classroom and I think parents of all/no faiths should really be encouraged to have that discussion in the home first. Sex ed class was too much snickering and blowjob jokes to get as much good information out of.

I think you're absolutely right, but I also think people need to stop thinking about sexual education as one big talk you have with your kids. I got a series of age appropriate talks starting with "babies come from mommy and daddy" and ending with "... and that's why you wear a condom." I think it worked out very well because it let the information sink in, and plus I it made me feel comfortable going to my parents with any questions I had.

Of course I know of quite a few high schoolers whose sex education from their parents amounted to, no joke, "just keep it in your pants, son". So it's clear schools definitely have to do something, because it's clear not all parents are interested in providing any education.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
When I was 15, my dad sat me and my twin brother down, gave us a 36 pack of Trojans and said, "Don't make the same mistake I did".

MC Nietzche
Oct 26, 2004

by exmarx

rscott posted:

When I was 15, my dad sat me and my twin brother down, gave us a 36 pack of Trojans and said, "Don't make the same mistake I did".

The entirety of my sex education from my dad was "If you get a girl pregnant, you're on your own. P.S. don't bother coming home."

Sarion
Dec 24, 2003

Kim Jong III posted:

I think you're absolutely right, but I also think people need to stop thinking about sexual education as one big talk you have with your kids. I got a series of age appropriate talks starting with "babies come from mommy and daddy" and ending with "... and that's why you wear a condom." I think it worked out very well because it let the information sink in, and plus I it made me feel comfortable going to my parents with any questions I had.

This is pretty much how we're doing it with our kids. Around 6-7 our oldest got the "this is where babies come from talk". Now that he's eleven its time for more detail before he gets to Middle School. I know his school has some level of sex ed this year (5th Grade) but it's also South Carolina, so I doubt it goes beyond puberty.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I never had THe Talk with either parent, and I missed it during school.

At one point I think mom and I had a conversation that went "Hey you know how to have safe sex right?" "Yes." "Talk over, then."

Skyworks
Oct 2, 2010

by angerbutt

Dickeye posted:

I never had THe Talk with either parent, and I missed it during school.

At one point I think mom and I had a conversation that went "Hey you know how to have safe sex right?" "Yes." "Talk over, then."

We had mom and dad sit down with us and explain in detail why I was an uncle at 12. My oldest sister who had the kid was 26, it was drat awkward.

I wish I got a 'talk'. I just kind of learned through trial and error.

E: Likely why my wife and I are very open about this poo poo when any of the kids ask.

Skyworks fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Feb 24, 2012

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
I kinda wanna post that Tobias clip when he starts to give The Talk to George Michael on Arrested Development. "Well you see, when a man needs to prove to his wife that he's not... I mean, sometimes with great effort a man can achieve an...".

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Skyworks posted:

E: Likely why my wife and I are very open about this poo poo when any of the kids ask.
I've wondered how I'd deal with this when it comes up. How specific are you with your kids and what do you say when they keep probing the way kids do?

Skyworks
Oct 2, 2010

by angerbutt

jojoinnit posted:

I've wondered how I'd deal with this when it comes up. How specific are you with your kids and what do you say when they keep probing the way kids do?

We are pretty specific about things. Our kids are pretty young, but we are more than happy to talk completely honestly to our nieces and nephews. It is good experience.

We even take them to get condoms or the pill if they want. It is their choice, if they want to do it who are we to judge.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
My dad just bought me and my sister a book called Sex or something and said have at it. Luckily I was an avid Loveline listener and learned all I needed about sex ed from that. Although looking back, there are some horrible opinions espoused in that show...

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Dickeye posted:

I remember riding with my mom in the car, and I'm pretty sure I was already in college at that point so at least 19 years old, probably 20 or more. Our talk went something like, "So, uh, you know about sex, right?" "Yeah...?" "Any questions?" "Not really, I'm pretty sure I've figured most of it out by now." "Oh. Well, good."

It was a very surreal ten seconds.

Funnier, and more ironic, is that after my first wet dream a pamphlet appeared on my bed. The pamphlet's intent was to teach my religion's stance on nocturnal emission and masturbation, as well as to help parents talk about/avoid discussion about puberty. Its effect was that I learned, "You mean I can control it?! :fap:"

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

DarkHorse posted:

I remember riding with my mom in the car, and I'm pretty sure I was already in college at that point so at least 19 years old, probably 20 or more. Our talk went something like, "So, uh, you know about sex, right?" "Yeah...?" "Any questions?" "Not really, I'm pretty sure I've figured most of it out by now." "Oh. Well, good."

It was a very surreal ten seconds.

Funnier, and more ironic, is that after my first wet dream a pamphlet appeared on my bed. The pamphlet's intent was to teach my religion's stance on nocturnal emission and masturbation, as well as to help parents talk about/avoid discussion about puberty. Its effect was that I learned, "You mean I can control it?! :fap:"

1. That is hilarious.
2. What is the religious stance on nocturnal emissions? Wastin sperms there.

Skyworks
Oct 2, 2010

by angerbutt
Being honest about sexual relations and the consequences if you do not use protection is likely the best thing we can do for the kids. Honesty helps, they will ask you questions later if you are.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
My old man was so cute, he was raising my sister and I by myself (my mother left us) and you can tell he just wanted someone else to do this.

So around 12 or 13, he's like... "D'yaknow how alla that sex stuff works?", I almost died laughing it was like Norm Macdonald asking me.

"Yeah dad, we got classes in school, I know how it all works"

"GOOD!"

*back to the Eagles game*

What is strange is years earlier, I remember my grandmother having a weird pseudo-sex chat with me. She was watching some soap opera and I was playing Gameboy on the couch and she noticed me watching some kind of hot and heavy sequence that was a bit violent, so she asked me if I knew what rape was and I was just like :stare: and she explained to me what it was, why it was wrong, etc.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Bombadilillo posted:

1. That is hilarious.
It's been so long I can't even remember, but I'm pretty sure they're fine since they're involuntary. It's when it becomes voluntary that you enter a morally grey area, like if you try to facilitate NE somehow. Jerkin' it is of course an instant ticket to the fricassee.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

jojoinnit posted:

Practice on other kids before telling your kids about it. Spend some time at the local playground.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I forget how I learned about sex. Pretty sure it wasn't from my parents, the only serious talk I ever got from them was my dad talking about people didn't respawn in real life like they did in video games. Thanks dad, I think I've figured that out already.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Bombadilillo posted:

It's just God jerking you off and that's totally cool and not gay

Xarthor
Nov 11, 2003

Need Ink or Toner for
Your Printer?

Check out my
Thread in SA-Mart!

Lipstick Apathy
Correct me if I'm wrong, doesn't the natural planning/rhythm method require the woman to constantly monitor her body temperature to better assess when and when she isn't ovulating?

I too was a Catholic school kid, and I swear my crazy 7th/8th grade religion teacher sat us down and tried to explain that whole thing to us because it was "just as easy as other birth control!" As I recall there were 20+ steps but it all amounted to something like the woman had to have a temperature of between 97.4 and 99.1 degrees, and it had to be on the sixth day of the second week, and then you had a 3 hour window to have sex, but only if you were married and only for reproductive purposes.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Kim Jong III posted:

As an aside, using one of the calendar based methods can actually work very well. The Standard Days method has something like 95% effectiveness when properly used, which is pretty drat good for not using chemical contraception or a barrier.

5% of a baby seems like a lot.

Foyes36
Oct 23, 2005

Food fight!
The best formal sex ed I ever got was in a graduate physiology course. When I was 24.

It was pretty thorough though.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I can't remember when I learned about sex (I think it might have been an episode of Once Upon a Time... Life), but I remember our sex-ed in school referred to what I would translate as "intercourse" (משגל - an archaic term for sexual intercourse in Hebrew), and the way they described it it sounded like such a weird dancing ritual, and I didn't know how having sex fit into it exactly.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

jojoinnit posted:

I've always wondered what sexed class was like? Seems like it'd be really embarrassing. I know I wouldn't have wanted all my classmates to watch me try and put a condom on my banana.

The clearest memory from my grade 4 sex ed class was that a bunch of kids shoved their rulers into their shorts as they walked into the room on the first day. I don't remember much else from it, aside from the teacher bringing latkes to class later in the year.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I think I was about 8 when I got some basic sex ed, and that was because we had a pet turtle, and he was a randy little bitch. Once we got a female for him, my mom had to quickly explain why he kept trying to crawl over her back. Repeat for when parents decided to breed the Doberman we had too.

I did get basic sex ed in school, but it was all 'penis goes in vagina and makes baby.' Pretty boring stuff.

niggerstink420
Aug 7, 2009

by T. Fine

Doc Hawkins posted:

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

I went to a Catholic school K-5 only, and then for some reason in my public middle school we were exempt from health and gym if we took both Spanish and gifted class, which I did. Training to be goons early or something :v:

At one point in 8th grade gifted we got three days of STD picture slideshows, and that's it. And when I was about .. 10? My mom thrust What's Happening to My Body For Girls at me, clearly very embarrassed, told me not to read the boy chapters, and then said to ask if I had any questions. Sure, mom, you made it very comfortable to come ask you questions.

I had the internet by 13 years old (1994!), and I guess I ended up learning a lot there? I know that I am very grateful that by the time I had sex for the first time, I was adamantly "no condom = no sex," though no thanks to my parents.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
That's hopefully were my kids will be. We stressed that we would like them to be married first, but if you feel you want to have sex, be sure to really be in a committed relationship at to trust and know the person they are going to sleep with really well.

Also when my daughter hits 15 we are going to get her birth control if she wants it, not just because to stop babies being made, but for acne and hormone balancing also.

The boy is 14 and already knows the same things and knows where to get condoms.

I really believe that if you remove the guilt and mystery over sex, it goes a long way, and psychology backs me up on this one. You can't plan a family if you freak out one day and go nuts on the opposite gender in a hormone induced sex rage filled with guilt and crying afterwards. :v:

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

jojoinnit posted:

If they ask, answer. There's seriously no reason to leave sex some kind of unknowable mystery. Kids not knowing about sex is pretty much a modern/urban thing anyway. Few kids who grow up raising livestock ever have to wonder where babies come from (as my farmgirl mom put it, "we would watch the cows humping all day long.").

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum

Deuce posted:

The withdrawal method is not perfect under any circumstances who the gently caress told you that?

No poo poo it doesn't work. Wife was on the pill, I withdrew as a backup, and I ended up with twins. We now got one of those plastic "T" things that blocks the eggs.

Aeka 2.0 fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Feb 25, 2012

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Not a chain letter, but it seems like a good exercise into seeing how college football fans regard how to deal with 'criminals'

http://collegefootball.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=2150&tid=170963761&mid=170963761&sid=1144&style=2

Sarion
Dec 24, 2003

pillsburysoldier posted:

Not a chain letter, but it seems like a good exercise into seeing how college football fans regard how to deal with 'criminals'

http://collegefootball.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=2150&tid=170963761&mid=170963761&sid=1144&style=2

Brain damage... that'll teach her!

I get the distinct impression that the posts on that thread would have been no different if he had shot her.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Doc Hawkins posted:

That's actually better than you get with condoms or contraception pill in practise.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Nenonen posted:

That's actually better than you get with condoms or contraception pill in practise.

It's incredibly disingenuous to compare perfect use of one method with practical use of other methods.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Piell posted:

It's incredibly disingenuous to compare perfect use of one method with practical use of other methods.

I'm not comparing anything, you blithering idiot.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

"Better" is a kind of comparison in my country.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Yeah, "better than" inherently implies a comparison.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Yeah, "better than" inherently implies a comparison.

I wasn't comparing methods to another (as Piell claimed), are you now happy?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Nenonen posted:

I wasn't comparing methods to another (as Piell claimed), are you now happy?

What were you saying?

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Xarthor posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, doesn't the natural planning/rhythm method require the woman to constantly monitor her body temperature to better assess when and when she isn't ovulating?

I too was a Catholic school kid, and I swear my crazy 7th/8th grade religion teacher sat us down and tried to explain that whole thing to us because it was "just as easy as other birth control!" As I recall there were 20+ steps but it all amounted to something like the woman had to have a temperature of between 97.4 and 99.1 degrees, and it had to be on the sixth day of the second week, and then you had a 3 hour window to have sex, but only if you were married and only for reproductive purposes.

Interestingly enough, my parents never gave me any "talk". I got it in 6th grade at a Catholic school. It was surprisingly comprehensive, and when I switched to public school for high school I got an additional class that wasn't bad considering how rural the school was. I guess I got really lucky.

downout fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Feb 26, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

niggerstink420
Aug 7, 2009

by T. Fine
This is the thread for sharing personal experiences re: birds & bees.