Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

Ye Worse User-name posted:

Holy crap PaintVagrant, why are you selling your Skorne?

Im super burnt out on em. I dont want to paint anymore turquoise desert elves :\

Time to move onto greener pastures, circle and cryx probably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
Terminus nommed eKaya tonight, despite my wife killing at least 20 Mechanithralls and half my bane thralls with two trampling Ferals. I got super lucky with my Necrosurgeons tough rolls and was able to keep churning them back onto the field. So happy I finally got a game in!

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Someone buy PV's army because it's dope as hell, also so he will stop whining to me about wanting to play Cryx or some poo poo. :owned:

Bellicose Buddha
Mar 16, 2009

The tongue like,
A sharp knife,
Kills,
Without drawing blood.
You sure you want to draw yours?
*Stares at pain vagrants Skorne* Holy poo poo man... What Cryx are you looking for?

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

PaintVagrant posted:

Im super burnt out on em. I dont want to paint anymore turquoise desert elves :\

DON'T DO IT! OH GOD! :negative:

WAR WAGON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Had to use flash in the last one to illuminate the undercarriage.

OMG IT IS SO AWESOME! ARRRGGHHHH! I still have the crew to paint, but I am totally happy with how it turned out!!!!

RECAP AFTER IMAGES: PV, DON'T DO IT!!!

dexefiend fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Feb 24, 2012

Bellicose Buddha
Mar 16, 2009

The tongue like,
A sharp knife,
Kills,
Without drawing blood.
Yeah, I am gonna second that... Stay true to the Skorne, yo. My minis look like such poo poo when I paint them... Seeing someone give up some with such a gorgeous paint job makes me a sad panda. :smith:

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

My hands arent broken guys ;)

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007

PaintVagrant posted:

I can't wait to see you paint circle or cryx poo poo, this is gonna be dope.

Acidix
Aug 8, 2007

Winner of the terrible contest

PaintVagrant posted:

what are you looking at doing w/ Cryx? Im looking for a good scheme.

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

I have a 6 point plan to stop the boats.....or turn them around or something....No wait what were those points again....Are there really 6?
Can some rich goon buy those Skorne and donate them back to PV. He should really keep them in a cabinet.

Fast_Food_Knight
Nov 23, 2007

Be nice, He's a knight!
He's just a fast food knight.
PV is gonna totally show up my cryx sometime soon :v:

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

Crazy Ferret posted:

Captain Daimano
Nomad
Rocinate
Full unit of Horgenhold Forgehold
Full unit of Steelhead Halbardiers
Full unit of Steelhead Rifleman
Mininum unit of Steelhead Cavalry
Stannis Brocker
Ragman
Lady Aiyana and Master Holt
Rhupert Carvolo

Forge Guard are kind of a waste without a speed buff, I'd drop them entirely. You've also got way to much Calvary in there, and the Nomad is a waste. Damiano is a big focus hog and he can really only run a single jack. I'd run a list like this personally.

Captain Damiano 6
Rocinante 9
Arcane Tempest Gun Mages (Leader and 5 Grunts)6
Arcane Tempest Gun Mage Officer 2
Mule 8
Steelhead Halberdiers (Leader and 9 Grunts) 6
Steelhead Heavy Cavalry (Leader and 4 Grunts) 10
Steelhead Riflemen (Leader and 5 Grunts) 5
Eiryss, Angel of Retribution 3
Reinholdt, Gobber Speculator 1
Rhupert Carvolo, Piper of Ord 2
Stannis Brocker 4

The Gun Mages + Mule combo with deadeye is just disgustingly good. Take snipe and use your jack marshall boost on the hit for a drat good chance to crit from 16' away, or if they're within 12' take crit brutal damage for some real shenanigans. You've got Eyriss to pop upkeeps and deall with focus campers, the gun mages themselves deal with stealth, and the steelheads are self-explanatory. Rupert is just there because he's Rupert.

J Bjelke-Postersen posted:

Can some rich goon buy those Skorne and donate them back to PV. He should really keep them in a cabinet.

Don't get me wrong they're beautiful models, but people are b-town are usually there to get a deal. I'm not sure it'll even move at the price PV wants for'em.

Tanon
Mar 14, 2011

I has a hat..
I wish I had anywhere close to that kind of dough because I'd buy them in a heartbeat. PV, your poo poo is amazing. Sad to see you sell it :(

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

PaintVagrant posted:

Well, that makes sense I guess, although if it was me with the amount of work that went into that army and how awesome they turned out I'd cling to them like a barnacle. Then again I am a tremendous packrat who will perish under an avalanche of my accumulated crap so ... yeah you probably made the right call.

Hope there's a bidding war!

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

The Aberrant posted:

Don't get me wrong they're beautiful models, but people are b-town are usually there to get a deal. I'm not sure it'll even move at the price PV wants for'em.

This is absolutely true, after a few days Ill advertise on cmon/etc and put them on ebay. May not get any bites there either.

UnkleBoB
Jul 24, 2000

Beginner's Version, Copyright,
1991 - Please Copy and Distribute
I really wish I had any cryx to trade into that. The price is a bit beyond what I can manage, and I've been wanting to get back into Skorne. And Christ P.V. you paint like some sort of demon(a golden demon? :v:).

How do you feel about installments?

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

I'd rather pay him for painting lessons instead of models :v:

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Korwen posted:

I'd rather pay him for painting lessons instead of models :v:

PV's Painting Symposium. I am down if you ever do throw one. I have a friend in MI I haven't seen in 8 years.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Id like to run some classes or something at a gencon, but I dont think Im making it this year sadly.

But, back to warmachine/hordes chat:

Is this a terrible list?

System: Warmachine
Faction: Cryx
Casters: 1/1
Iron Lich Asphyxious (*6pts)
* Cankerworm (5pts)
* Deathripper (4pts)
* Deathripper (4pts)
* Leviathan (9pts)
Bane Thralls (Leader and 9 Grunts) (8pts)
Bloodgorgers (Leader and 5 Grunts) (5pts)
Pistol Wraith (3pts)
Pistol Wraith (3pts)

Basically Im not tryign to making it super optimal, I just want something that can use a few models I already own. That being said, if its a huge piece of poo poo I will change it.

My thoughts on it:

Cankerworm owns
2 arc nodes for arcey goodness
Leviathan because guns are sweet, and Gaspy1 can have a lot of focus
Bane Thralls for slaying melee heavies/etc
Bloodgorgers for scything touch/screening gaspy
Pistol Wraiths for cleaning up dumb solos/support/deathchilling heavies I cant handle

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I got a half painted Cankerworm I'm never going to use. Want it?

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

crime fighting hog posted:

I got a half painted Cankerworm I'm never going to use. Want it?

How can you not use the cankerspanks!?

PM me, we can make some sort of deal if you want

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Aw yeah, burning some heretics up in this bitch.

Contemplating on whether to use the studio scheme for my Menites or not, the purple does look awesome.

Bellicose Buddha
Mar 16, 2009

The tongue like,
A sharp knife,
Kills,
Without drawing blood.
I think, besides a cheepo Terminus I might be able to swing getting, my next Cryx caster is gonna be pgaspy. This far in the future of course. I still need to finish my trollbloods. Man it is taking me forever to sit down and paint them.

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

I have a 6 point plan to stop the boats.....or turn them around or something....No wait what were those points again....Are there really 6?

Flipswitch posted:

Aw yeah, burning some heretics up in this bitch.

Contemplating on whether to use the studio scheme for my Menites or not, the purple does look awesome.

Two words: Flame decals.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Hot Rod Warjacks? we be onto something here.

Mikael Kreoss's avatar really makes me want to to do it in 3rd Street Saints style though, purple is a pretty rocking tone. I just to avoid white as painting it on my Infinity stuff has made me want to try something else. I'll have to flick through my concept art books for inspiration but I'm getting a huge Frank Herbert's Dune vibe off my Menites so I may look at doing something like the Sardaukar.

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

Flipswitch posted:

Hot Rod Warjacks? we be onto something here.

Mikael Kreoss's avatar really makes me want to to do it in 3rd Street Saints style though, purple is a pretty rocking tone. I just to avoid white as painting it on my Infinity stuff has made me want to try something else. I'll have to flick through my concept art books for inspiration but I'm getting a huge Frank Herbert's Dune vibe off my Menites so I may look at doing something like the Sardaukar.

3rd Street Menites would be pretty rad.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Tanon posted:

From the earlier eCaine talk, this is a list I'd recommend

Faction: Cygnar
Captain Allister Caine (*5pts)
* Ol' Rowdy (9pts)
* Squire (2pts)
Arcane Tempest Gun Mages (Leader and 5 Grunts) (6pts)
* Arcane Tempest Gun Mage Officer (2pts)
* * Hunter (6pts)
Greygore Boomhowler & Co. (Boomhowler and 9 Grunts) (9pts)
Captain Arlan Strangewayes (2pts)
Journeyman Warcaster (3pts)
Reinholdt, Gobber Speculator (1pts)

Rowdy is pretty much the best way to spend Caine's warjack points because he's super focus efficient and is a good bodyguard for super squishy Caine. Gun Mages marshall the Hunter because 6+4d6 Armor Piercing is A M A Z I N G. Arlan finishes up that module, and is also there to keep Rowdy around and possibly give him Evasive to let him bound through the lines to get to something squishy. Throw Heightened Relexes onto the Boomhowlers, and you suddenly have a 12/16 wall that refuses to die OR fall down. This also allows for shenanigans when Rowdy rushes into melee with whatever the Boomhowlers are tying up, and Tremors. The bad guys are knocked down, the Boomhowlers are not, and they proceed to mulch stuff heartily. Blur gives the Gun Mages DEF 18 at range, and that is just sickening. Journeyman... well, I included him more for fun than anything, he can Arcane Shield Rowdy for an ARM 23 beatstick which is absolutely hilarious. You could exchange him for Eiryss, or possibly 2 point solo of your choice + Stormcaller, etc. This list is basically tailored to tie stuff up, bog it down, and get it out of the way so that Caine can line up an assassination run.

If I had some Boomhowlers, I'd totally run this list. It's pretty brutal, to be honest.

I proxied this list and did really well against a Khador player yesterday, Caine is an absolute beast.

If you had to expand this list to 50 what would you do? I'm weary about adding more jacks because of how focus heavy Caine was when I played him. I was thinking a Lancer/Thorn for the node but I dunno how necessary it's going to be.

fadam fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Feb 24, 2012

Zenephant
Dec 31, 2009

fadam posted:

I proxied this list and did really well against a Khador player yesterday, Caine is an absolute beast.

If you had to expand this list to 50 what would you do? I'm weary about adding more jacks because of how focus heavy Caine was when I played him. I was thinking a Lancer/Thorn for the node but I dunno how necessary it's going to be.

A unit of rangers + The Black 13th is another 9pts. Maybe a hunter for the journeyman warcaster as well ?

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Co-sine posted:

A unit of rangers + The Black 13th is another 9pts. Maybe a hunter for the journeyman warcaster as well ?

Are rangers good? I never really had any problems hitting stuff yesterday, but I might have just gotten lucky.

I would really like to run the Black 13th though.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

They make assassinations pretty damned easy. Most cygnar stuff is in the rat 6-8 range already, a +2 makes even really high defense easy to hit with boosts.

Rat 8/9 cygnar jacks make casters poop themselves

Acceptableloss
May 2, 2011

Numerous, effective and tenacious: We must remember to hire them next time....oh, nevermind.

Crazy Ferret posted:

Anyone have any thoughts or criticisms on this list?

Captain Daimano
Nomad
Rocinate
Full unit of Horgenhold Forgehold
Full unit of Steelhead Halbardiers
Full unit of Steelhead Rifleman
Mininum unit of Steelhead Cavalry
Stannis Brocker
Ragman
Lady Aiyana and Master Holt
Rhupert Carvolo

I second dropping the Nomad. Damiano doesn't have the focus to run two 'jacks. He barely has enough to run one IMO. I think Brocker makes a good Sure Foot target because he can run around in the middle of all those steelheads and not get bogged down.

The forgeguard don't have any real synergy with Damiano, though they are really solid on their own. They might make a good Death March target, but then your whole army is going to be stuck behind their slow asses.

I've found Rorsh and Brine work well with Damiano because they don't need his focus and his feat helps mitigate Brine's pillowfistedness. If you're running them under the Highborn contract, they both basically get AD.

Tanon
Mar 14, 2011

I has a hat..

fadam posted:

Alright, here's what I would do. I'll add some alternatives at the bottom.

* Ol' Rowdy (9pts)
* Squire (2pts)
* * Defender (9pts)
Horgenhold Forge Guard (Leader and 9 Grunts) (8pts)
Gorman di Wulfe, Rogue Alchemist (2pts)
Rhupert Carvolo, Piper of Ord (2pts)

Basically, this is what I'd consider the "competitive-style" Cygnar list. Notice what's not in there? Yeah, no Cygnar melee units. Because they suck. Basically, with your extra 15 points, you upgrade the Hunter on the ATGMs to a Defender, add full Forge Guard with Rhupert for Tough/Pathfinder, and then 2 point solo of your choice. I chose Gorman, because he's all around amazing, but Madelyn Corbeau is a very good alternative. Basically, you're going to use the Boomhowlers as your frontline unit with Heightened Reflexes for no KD, then have them followed by the Horgenhold with Tough from Rhupert and Arcane Shield. That's a ARM 21 Tough unit with Reach Weaponmaster. Yeah. They'll hammer stuff into the next century. Once again, the purpose of the units are to tie things up and beat it out of the way to allow Caine to get to the caster for an assassination.

Alternately, there are a couple things you can do. If you want to add Rangers (which, I wouldn't, because your ranged units are relatively few and they're all really good RAT), drop the Defender back down to a Hunter and drop Gorman. Free five points. If you wanted to try adding in a Cygnar melee unit instead of another Merc unit, drop Gorman and the Horgenhold, and add in Stormguard. Use the extra point to grab a Stormsmith for Disruption as needed. They're not Weaponmasters, and AS only gets them to arm 18, but with Electro-leap they do a number to mass infantry units.

Basically, as you can see, after Gun Mages, Cygnar is really lacking for quality in the infantry department. Horgenhold and Boomhowler's are amazingly good units with our casters and will see tons of use throughout our lists. Same goes for Gorman, Rhupert, and Madelyn.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Tanon posted:

Alright, here's what I would do. I'll add some alternatives at the bottom.

* Ol' Rowdy (9pts)
* Squire (2pts)
* * Defender (9pts)
Horgenhold Forge Guard (Leader and 9 Grunts) (8pts)
Gorman di Wulfe, Rogue Alchemist (2pts)
Rhupert Carvolo, Piper of Ord (2pts)

Basically, this is what I'd consider the "competitive-style" Cygnar list. Notice what's not in there? Yeah, no Cygnar melee units. Because they suck. Basically, with your extra 15 points, you upgrade the Hunter on the ATGMs to a Defender, add full Forge Guard with Rhupert for Tough/Pathfinder, and then 2 point solo of your choice. I chose Gorman, because he's all around amazing, but Madelyn Corbeau is a very good alternative. Basically, you're going to use the Boomhowlers as your frontline unit with Heightened Reflexes for no KD, then have them followed by the Horgenhold with Tough from Rhupert and Arcane Shield. That's a ARM 21 Tough unit with Reach Weaponmaster. Yeah. They'll hammer stuff into the next century. Once again, the purpose of the units are to tie things up and beat it out of the way to allow Caine to get to the caster for an assassination.

Alternately, there are a couple things you can do. If you want to add Rangers (which, I wouldn't, because your ranged units are relatively few and they're all really good RAT), drop the Defender back down to a Hunter and drop Gorman. Free five points. If you wanted to try adding in a Cygnar melee unit instead of another Merc unit, drop Gorman and the Horgenhold, and add in Stormguard. Use the extra point to grab a Stormsmith for Disruption as needed. They're not Weaponmasters, and AS only gets them to arm 18, but with Electro-leap they do a number to mass infantry units.

Basically, as you can see, after Gun Mages, Cygnar is really lacking for quality in the infantry department. Horgenhold and Boomhowler's are amazingly good units with our casters and will see tons of use throughout our lists. Same goes for Gorman, Rhupert, and Madelyn.

Thanks a lot man, I'll try this stuff out ASAP. It'll be weird playing a Cygnar army that only uses like 50% Cygnar units.

My buddy is interested in starting this up but he doesn't have a lot of interest in any of the infantry models. What faction in WM/Hordes can get away with running the most Warbeasts/Warjacks while still remaining competitive?

Tanon
Mar 14, 2011

I has a hat..

fadam posted:

Thanks a lot man, I'll try this stuff out ASAP. It'll be weird playing a Cygnar army that only uses like 50% Cygnar units.

My buddy is interested in starting this up but he doesn't have a lot of interest in any of the infantry models. What faction in WM/Hordes can get away with running the most Warbeasts/Warjacks while still remaining competitive?

That's how Cygnar plays now. It kinda sucks. There is a bunch of bitching on the PP forums about it, but if you want to play straight Cygnar with no mercs, you're at a significant disadvantage. Even with them they're not top tier, but they're competitive.

As for your buddy, if he doesn't want to play infantry, I would suggest going with Legion of Everblight. Legion beasts are expensive and awesome, and generally you'll be able to get by with 3-4 beasts, like one unit, and some support solos. Absylonia is their main beast caster and she can run beasts and support solos and that's it (as a matter of fact, that's basically her tier list). Both Vayl's can run beast heavy, the Thagroshs like a unit for some of their buffs, but still run a ton of beasts. Most of their lists for any caster have two or three heavies, maybe a light or two, and a couple lessers.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

PaintVagrant posted:

Id like to run some classes or something at a gencon, but I dont think Im making it this year sadly.

But, back to warmachine/hordes chat:

Is this a terrible list?

Faction: Cryx
Iron Lich Asphyxious (*6pts)
* Cankerworm (5pts)
* Deathripper (4pts)
* Deathripper (4pts)
* Leviathan (9pts)
Bane Thralls (Leader and 9 Grunts) (8pts)
Bloodgorgers (Leader and 5 Grunts) (5pts)
Pistol Wraith (3pts)
Pistol Wraith (3pts)

Basically Im not tryign to making it super optimal, I just want something that can use a few models I already own. That being said, if its a huge piece of poo poo I will change it.

My thoughts on it:

Cankerworm owns
2 arc nodes for arcey goodness
Leviathan because guns are sweet, and Gaspy1 can have a lot of focus
Bane Thralls for slaying melee heavies/etc
Bloodgorgers for scything touch/screening gaspy
Pistol Wraiths for cleaning up dumb solos/support/deathchilling heavies I cant handle

pGaspy does indeed have a lot of focus, but he usually wants it all for himself. I'd drop the Leviathan for a Harrower, which can basically fuel itself with souls. I'd also drop one pistol wraith and fit a Warwitch in there.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Tanon posted:

That's how Cygnar plays now. It kinda sucks. There is a bunch of bitching on the PP forums about it, but if you want to play straight Cygnar with no mercs, you're at a significant disadvantage. Even with them they're not top tier, but they're competitive.

As for your buddy, if he doesn't want to play infantry, I would suggest going with Legion of Everblight. Legion beasts are expensive and awesome, and generally you'll be able to get by with 3-4 beasts, like one unit, and some support solos. Absylonia is their main beast caster and she can run beasts and support solos and that's it (as a matter of fact, that's basically her tier list). Both Vayl's can run beast heavy, the Thagroshs like a unit for some of their buffs, but still run a ton of beasts. Most of their lists for any caster have two or three heavies, maybe a light or two, and a couple lessers.

Cool I'll let him know.

There's a tournament coming up that requires two lists with two different warcasters. Do you think the bulk of those models will work in a 50pt list with Epic Haley/Thorn (I actually own these two so it would be super convenient).

Gay Polymers
Jun 14, 2005

I hear voices in my head
They talk to me
They understand
Where are my keys?
Not sure how kosher it is to post this here, but whatevs.

My brother is doing a badass kickstarter to get his wargame terrain off the ground. The stuff he does is amazing. This is what happens when you have an architecture degree, lots of free time, and you can't find a real job.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/101466427/tectonic-craft-studios-new-line-of-war-games-terra

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007

Gay Polymers posted:

Not sure how kosher it is to post this here, but whatevs.

My brother is doing a badass kickstarter to get his wargame terrain off the ground. The stuff he does is amazing. This is what happens when you have an architecture degree, lots of free time, and you can't find a real job.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/101466427/tectonic-craft-studios-new-line-of-war-games-terra

Hm-I think there is a SA thread somewhere for kickstarters. Also Maybe in the P&M thread? His stuff looks pretty neat-o.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.
PV, PM me if you'll sell individual bits. Dat Sentry!

• Locked thread