Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schmendrick
Aug 22, 2003

(Insert stupid MMO name here.)

Armor-Piercing posted:

Training mode and online lobbies are good. I'm a little worried about the whole 10,000 DLC customization items though, especially since Quest mode wasn't mentioned at all.

They're probably all the items from the arcade versions. I have no quarrel with this if it means Lau will get the tiger mask... that moves with his mouth! Here's hoping for a demo with at least Jean and Taka playable.

Please don't screw this up, Sega. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Oh, 10,000 items isn't all of them? I was worried it meant all the stuff you would normally unlock through Quest was now going to be DLC and thinking that might mean Quest was gone entirely. If it's 10,000 items on top of what you get in Quest though, that's fantastic.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

interrodactyl posted:

Is the game worth playing at all? I might pick it up just to mash around in training mode, but there's a smaller scene for that game than there is for IaMP.

It's not bad really. It's not great either, but if you like the characters or have any interest in the series you'll probably enjoy it.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Schmendrick posted:

They're probably all the items from the arcade versions. I have no quarrel with this if it means Lau will get the tiger mask... that moves with his mouth! Here's hoping for a demo with at least Jean and Taka playable.

Please don't screw this up, Sega. :ohdear:

If it is an XBLA title they have to release a demo for it, that's MS policy. However don't expect that demo til release day probably.

I really want this to turn out well, I am like the only person in Canada who likes VF. I want to show people the real power then send them back to school :mad:

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Summer is gonna be a really good season for VF. There's a VF tourney coming up in Glasgow, so maybe that could birth a scene, along with the release of this game.

Schmendrick
Aug 22, 2003

(Insert stupid MMO name here.)

Evil Canadian posted:

If it is an XBLA title they have to release a demo for it, that's MS policy. However don't expect that demo til release day probably.

I really want this to turn out well, I am like the only person in Canada who likes VF. I want to show people the real power then send them back to school :mad:

If it's any consolidation, my cousin, a guy who runs a comic shop with a manager, and I are the only people in Bucks County/Philly portions of PA who really want VF5:FS to be awesome (Honeslty, my cousin and I are the only two in our parts of PA who want this game). I would actually buy both versions of the game to play it with people if they don't screw this up.

It's gonna be nice to have some games without stupid comeback mechanics or gimmicks endorsed by douche bags like Max or Gootecks/Ross (SC5's new stuff isn't really gimmicky, and SC5 is actually fun so it's okay).

40 OZ
May 16, 2003
OH MY GOD

I KNOW LAST TIME I SAID THIS IT WAS ACTUALLY A TF2 VIDEO BUT HERE IS TOMO OHIRA PLAYING STREET FIGHTER 2 HF IN 2012

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8b2JQ1nnCeI

edit- if eventscrubs or something already posted it then dont be too mean

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

40 OZ posted:

OH MY GOD

I KNOW LAST TIME I SAID THIS IT WAS ACTUALLY A TF2 VIDEO BUT HERE IS TOMO OHIRA PLAYING STREET FIGHTER 2 HF IN 2012

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8b2JQ1nnCeI

edit- if eventscrubs or something already posted it then dont be too mean

Would anybody at Eventhubs even know who Tomo is?

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
I don't know if there are any midwestern FG goons around, but apparently this tournament is gonna be a pretty big deal:

I'm trying to get a crew from my college to go and be in the 5v5, and I'll probably enter like every game as well. Y'all should come! It's in very northern indiana, just past the michigan border.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Whose the best in the Midwest?!?!

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...

Wezlar posted:

Whose the best in the Midwest?!?!

Terrible fonts, terrible grammar.
"Regester"?
AAKBFALJFBASLDJFBASDLFB

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
It's a drat shame that people can get away with running three capcom titles at tournaments now, and still not have melty or arcana or blaz or whatever.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Countblanc posted:

It's a drat shame that people can get away with running three capcom titles at tournaments now, and still not have melty or arcana or blaz or whatever.

All of those games are dead. Soooooo... who cares.

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.

Countblanc posted:

Oh man, let's get hype for those 8 man Blazblue tournaments.

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

Waterbed posted:

All of those games are dead. Soooooo... who cares.
Dead, esoteric, overly complicated. You can pick a lot of terms to describe them.

I wouldn't care so much if there wasn't a constant torrent of posts about these games in every fighting game related thread. It feels pretty old by this point.

For example:

Cinroth posted:

Someone needs to kick down the door and run up to the catatonic Spooky with one of those big rear end syringes full of Melty Blood and inject it straight in his heart before he crosses the line. heh get it? cross the line. loving lmao
Discussion not even about anime fighting games, let's talk about how anime fighting games are better than unreleased product.

This is only an example of the old, tired opinions that add no substance to the conversation and show them clinging, limpet-like, to a long sunken ship.

brian
Sep 11, 2001
I obtained this title through beard tax.

Sestze posted:

For example:

Discussion not even about anime fighting games, let's talk about how anime fighting games are better than unreleased product.

This is only an example of the old, tired opinions that add no substance to the conversation and show them clinging, limpet-like, to a long sunken ship.

You really went with that as your example? An intentionally awful series of puns about spooky sounding tired on a stream?

Where the gently caress is the opinion in that?

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

brian posted:

You really went with that as your example? An intentionally awful series of puns about spooky sounding tired on a stream?

Where the gently caress is the opinion in that?
Aw man, you're going to make me trudge through a lot of pages of passive aggressive goonposts to find more poo poo like that?

I hate you.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Sestze posted:

The joke is that Spooky, being primarily a Melty player and commentator, would be much more energetic if that game were involved.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*
Man, it's the Midwest and all, but northern Indiana is way too far to drive for a bunch of fighting games I haven't even been able to practice recently.

Zexerous
May 5, 2006

No Alibi. No Justice. No Dream. No Club.

Jmcrofts posted:

I don't know if there are any midwestern FG goons around, but apparently this tournament is gonna be a pretty big deal:

I'm trying to get a crew from my college to go and be in the 5v5, and I'll probably enter like every game as well. Y'all should come! It's in very northern indiana, just past the michigan border.

Holy poo poo. This is the last place I would expect that flyer to get posted. I'm actually helping out with this tournament. I'm gonna be doing the lovely no commentary stream (unless I can score a mic, which isn't likely) and most likely doing all the poo poo behind the scenes to make sure everything runs smoothly. We planning on having 6 set ups at the moment but if anyone can bring extra setups that would be pretty awesome too.

As a side note, the venue has that american gladiators jousting. Yeah we might run a side tourney on it if I can talk the owner into giving us a deal for a decent rate of time on it.

disclaimer: No way did I do that flyer. I have no photoshop skills at all.

double edit: I have no problems running anime fighters on the side if there's enough demand for them.

Zexerous fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Feb 24, 2012

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Zexerous posted:

Holy poo poo. This is the last place I would expect that flyer to get posted. I'm actually helping out with this tournament. I'm gonna be doing the lovely no commentary stream (unless I can score a mic, which isn't likely) and most likely doing all the poo poo behind the scenes to make sure everything runs smoothly. We planning on having 6 set ups at the moment but if anyone can bring extra setups that would be pretty awesome too.

As a side note, the venue has that american gladiators jousting. Yeah we might run a side tourney on it if I can talk the owner into giving us a deal for a decent rate of time on it.

Good poo poo, I didn't realize you were a goon. This got posted on my scene's regional forum on SRK so I figured I'd cross-post it here. I'll try to find you and say hi if I make it out.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Wait you mean like the suspended platform with the double ended foam staffs or something else?

Zexerous
May 5, 2006

Jmcrofts posted:

Good poo poo, I didn't realize you were a goon. This got posted on my scene's regional forum on SRK so I figured I'd cross-post it here. I'll try to find you and say hi if I make it out.

Do you remember who posted it on SRK? Was it ShinkuGadoken?

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

Wait you mean like the suspended platform with the double ended foam staffs or something else?

Yes, but it's not as high up as you think. Maybe a foot off the ground if that.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Kind of an odd question, but what are some basics for fighting game commentating? I may have a chance to commentate for some silly Soul Calibur V scrub stream my friends are doing, and I figure I might as well give it a shot. :shobon:

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS

Zexerous posted:

disclaimer: No way did I do that flyer. I have no photoshop skills at all.

double edit: I have no problems running anime fighters on the side if there's enough demand for them.

Haha, I'll be out for this too. Been talking with Zex about it for a while. I still need to try to find the proper mic for your mixer.

If I could get my Marvel 2 cabinet buried out of storage I'd be able to bring a full setup along. Guess I'll just have to bring my ps3/sf4/marvel along.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Zexerous posted:

Do you remember who posted it on SRK? Was it ShinkuGadoken?

Some guy with the username BlackBeltStatus.

E: also it should be no problem for me and some of my friends to bring setups.

Zexerous
May 5, 2006

Jmcrofts posted:

Some guy with the username BlackBeltStatus.

E: also it should be no problem for me and some of my friends to bring setups.

Ok, that's the lead guy there. Cool to know that SRK link is getting out there. We've really been trying to push it to get a good turnout for Mega Play. I'm in discussion with them to start hopefully some kind of either bi weekly or month tournament for our area. The owner seems rather keep on helping me make it work. We've got a decent amount of space, they used to have laser tag in the space we set up in.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS

Zexerous posted:

Ok, that's the lead guy there. Cool to know that SRK link is getting out there. We've really been trying to push it to get a good turnout for Mega Play. I'm in discussion with them to start hopefully some kind of either bi weekly or month tournament for our area. The owner seems rather keep on helping me make it work. We've got a decent amount of space, they used to have laser tag in the space we set up in.

You realize the Jousting is going to be way more hype than any of the fighters.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Zexerous posted:

While I've got you hear, question. On SRK I read they were trying to keep this whole thing family friendly so people need to watch their language etc. Is there any kind of money match etiquette that comes with this as well? Are they off-limits?

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Thinking about buying a new stick. Torn between quanba q4raf

http://www.gremlinsolutions.co.uk/products/qanba-q4raf-arcade-fighting-stick.htm

And the new SFxT pro stick.

Any advice would be amazing.

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.

Mega Comrade posted:

http://www.gremlinsolutions.co.uk/products/qanba-q4raf-arcade-fighting-stick.htm

Qanba's are multi-console by default since China doesn't give a gently caress about patents, if you have both a PS3 and a 360 or plan to own both at some point, pick up the Qanba.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Qanba is dual-console, MadCatz stick is not. I've heard good things about the Qanba so if being able to play on 360 and ps3 with one stick is important to you I'd say go for that.

e;fb.

As a side note, I didn't realize how much I needed a dual-console stick until I got one. Now I couldn't live without it. I go to tourneys and stuff though so that makes it matter a lot more.

ImperialGuard
Jan 10, 2010

PunkBoy posted:

Kind of an odd question, but what are some basics for fighting game commentating? I may have a chance to commentate for some silly Soul Calibur V scrub stream my friends are doing, and I figure I might as well give it a shot. :shobon:
Game knowledge is an important thing. You don't want to sound like Adam Sessler that one time he did commentary at EVO.

It also (seems) to help to have someone else commentating with you so that you can split the duties of talking about the action and talking about more analytical game knowledge stuff.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Mega Comrade posted:

I've got the eightarc branded version of the Qanba and honestly it's a great stick. The first one they sent me had a problem with the multi-console switch, but I emailed them and had a replacement shipped out the next day. Since then the new stick has been working perfectly and it feels extremely solid.

If you go anywhere that you have access to both consoles you can't beat them, especially for what it would cost you to go to the effort of dual modding a TE or Hori stick.

Grab the Qanba unless you're 100% sure you'll never need a dual modded stick.

Edit: Plus I think the SFxT sticks looks really tacky and cheap.

Zexerous
May 5, 2006

Jmcrofts posted:

While I've got you hear, question. On SRK I read they were trying to keep this whole thing family friendly so people need to watch their language etc. Is there any kind of money match etiquette that comes with this as well? Are they off-limits?

Actually I'm waiting on the Indiana Gaming Commissions opinion if it's considered gambling or not. If it's not we can probably handle things in house. If it's not, you guys should probably take care of however much you're going to play for will be before you get to the tournament.

But yeah, it's a family friendly environment, so the manager of Mega Play has stressed to me that the language should be kept PG-13 at the best. It's one of those things I've gotta respect no matter what my personal opinion is.

YeehawMcKickass posted:

You realize the Jousting is going to be way more hype than any of the fighters.

I totally realize this.

Zexerous fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Feb 24, 2012

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

PunkBoy posted:

Don't get too caught up in play by play. poo poo happens too fast, and commentary where you're just narrating is bad commentary.

Not Dave
Aug 9, 2009

ATAI SUPER DRY IS
BREWED FROM QUALITY
ENGREDIENTS BY USING
OUR PURE CULTURE
YEAST AND ADVANCED
BREWING TECHNIQUES.
The Qanba is also 50 USD cheaper than the Madcatz, and is basically all the exact same parts! Some people have complained about the start button, either its placement and accidentally hitting it, or how lovely it is and needing to be replaced (mine didn't even work), but opening up and swapping out parts is even easier with the Qanba than a Madcatz stick.

Also I'd really like to go to that NW Indiana thing since its only 2 hours away, but I haven't played a fighting game with a real life human aside from one weekend 4 months, so that's too far to drive just to feel out of place and goony.

rocket USA
Sep 14, 2011

Zexerous posted:

As a side note, the venue has that american gladiators jousting.

It's a 3 hour drive from Indy but I'm going to try to make it up just for this.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..

Sestze posted:

Dead, esoteric, overly complicated. You can pick a lot of terms to describe them.

I wouldn't care so much if there wasn't a constant torrent of posts about these games in every fighting game related thread. It feels pretty old by this point.

For example:

Holy christ you are obnoxious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cinroth
Dec 11, 2008

Has it never occured
to you that this club
is overpopulated?

Jmcrofts posted:

The joke is that Spooky, being primarily a Melty player and commentator, would be much more energetic if that game were involved.

Esoteric, overly complicated joke.

• Locked thread