Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you

idonotlikepeas posted:

Sky Watcher and the Angel (25) is the best chapter. That's really all there is to say about it.
No argument here.

For second favorite, I'd have to choose The Coward Heart. One of the most intense chapters in the comic. I also have a soft spot for A Handful of Dirt, if only because that's where I really started enjoying the art.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
Huh. That's quite a leap from fairies.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Field trip? This is the court.

Or it could be where Anthony's been hanging out.

EDIT: Actually, the name implies something too small for those kinds of things. Maybe Kat's helping building it or studying it.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

SPACE DAD

Aceofblue
Feb 26, 2009

I think my favorite would have to be Ch 26 - The Old Dog's Tricks. I really love anything to do with the forest, plus it has Fox Call at the end. :3: Hwaiiieee!

gobbledygoat
Jun 4, 2011

Ask me about
Steaming Early-onset Accessperger's

Free Logical Fallacies only in 2014!
Do not listen to a thing I say.
I'm hoping it'll be a continuation of the story of the story of the moon-girl

monkifish
May 14, 2009

MikeJF posted:

Field trip? This is the court.

Or it could be where Anthony's been hanging out.

EDIT: Actually, the name implies something too small for those kinds of things. Maybe Kat's helping building it or studying it.

My first thought when I saw the satellite (or whatever it is) was that it looks kinda like a bird, specifically the bird that Alistair turned into. So yeah, maybe Kat does have something to do with building it. Or maybe I'm just talking out my rear end.

First post in the thread! Been reading the comic for a couple years now and it's the only comic that I remember to check without fail every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. I'm hoping we'll see more of the psychopomps, especially the Moddy Dhoo, I really liked his design.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
My first thought was that Annie's father is calling from a satelite phone, due to being way out in the wilderness somewhere.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
You know, the guardian's article today on Antimony makes Annie's name heavily ironic.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/grrlscientist/2012/feb/24/1

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
My god, this cliffhanger is killing me. That update on Wednesday was just cruel.

Can't wait for what's coming next.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Fangz posted:

You know, the guardian's article today on Antimony makes Annie's name heavily ironic.

You mean poisonous and with barely any use on the modern world aside as a fire retardant? Or is it the ancient Egyptian make-up part? :v:

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

That update on Wednesday was just cruel.

Monday. And we are going to be waiting a while more until anything develops from there.

Torgover
Sep 2, 2006

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
If there's one thing I dislike about Gunnerkrigg Court it's that every Friday it makes me wish the weekend was over already.

My guess was Anthony in space, but googling "microsat" gives me microsatellite, suggesting he's not actually on that satellite.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Saoshyant posted:

You mean poisonous and with barely any use on the modern world aside as a fire retardant? Or is it the ancient Egyptian make-up part? :v:

The part where doctors used it to kill their wives?

Also I'd like to point out that antimony is closely related to bismuth again. :pseudo:

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

That satellite actually made me think of the Sky Watcher. My guess is the satellite itself is a small robot.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Waffnuffly posted:

That satellite actually made me think of the Sky Watcher. My guess is the satellite itself is a small robot.

Aren't all satellites, in a way?

Or do you mean intelligent and from the same origins as the court robots.

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature
Microsatellites is also the name used to describe some regions of non-coding DNA that are extremely variable and prone to mutation. Being so variable, they're widely used in population genetics and other fields where you use DNA to discriminate very close relationships. Like that of father and daughter.

The comic's use probably has nothing to do with it, but still. :3:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

MikeJF posted:

Most satellites don't have moving parts, since moving parts are easy to malfunction, and how the hell are you going to fix a satellite? So they're not really robots unless you also happen to qualify your ipod as a robot for some reason.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Fister Roboto posted:

Most satellites don't have moving parts, since moving parts are easy to malfunction, and how the hell are you going to fix a satellite? So they're not really robots unless you also happen to qualify your ipod as a robot for some reason.

Most satellites do have small thrust ability generally used for attitude control and adjusting their orbits, by my understanding.

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh

MikeJF posted:

Most satellites do have small thrust ability generally used for attitude control, by my understanding.

Yeah, nobody likes a mopey, depressed satellite.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Fister Roboto posted:

There is, if so equiped, 'deployable' parts, like solar panels, etc, which move once inserted into orbit, but never move again. But generally speaking, no, nothing that is constantly moving.

MikeJF posted:

Most satellites do have small thrust ability generally used for attitude control and adjusting their orbits, by my understanding.

Yes. And also to make sure if you didn't design it right, it doesn't just end up spinning out of control (this can happen!).

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Some satellites have moving parts inside them.

1stGear posted:

Yeah, you really need to bear with the early chapters. The art will get fantastic and the writing will become excellent, but it had some growing pains to go through first. You will not regret sticking with it.

I had to badger that jabroni so much.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

wyoming posted:

The part where doctors used it to kill their wives?

That is indeed exactly what I was thinking of...

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

MikeJF posted:

Yeah, intelligent like the Sky Watcher itself was (the little bug-lookin' bot) is what I was imagining. It even looks almost like it has a head and "wings" (due to the solar panels).

As usual I'm probably completely off-base here

Buff Skeleton fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Feb 24, 2012

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I like that after Chapter 31, Annie is showing emotions now.

I think my favorite chapter is 34, though, for a few reasons. In particular because it seemed like Annie was getting annoyed that Jack was actually more interested in Zimmy than her.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
Okay, adding to the previous post...

I've been doing a self-imposed challenge of painting 82 Lancia Deltas in Forza 4. So, taking the design from that Eclipse, here are cars 46 of 82 and 47 of 82.

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.
First being annoyed at the faerie derail for taking us away from the orbital mechanics chat, now a discussion on the inner workings of satellites. Gunnerkrigg fans are an odd bunch. Hopefully we can mirror the comic in being equally split between hardcore technophiles and ardent creatives.

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature

Fargo Fukes posted:

First being annoyed at the faerie derail for taking us away from the orbital mechanics chat, now a discussion on the inner workings of satellites. Gunnerkrigg fans are an odd bunch. Hopefully we can mirror the comic in being equally split between hardcore technophiles and ardent creatives.

These things aren't mutually exclusive :colbert:

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Cyphoderus posted:

These things aren't mutually exclusive :colbert:

I daresay the most interesting people are a mix of the two.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

Mad theorizing time from a newer reader:

Rereading chapter 35 makes me wonder why Coyote gave Annie his tooth, especially given what it did to Shadow 2 when it cut him. I'm guessing it's much more than a simple ultra-sharp knife, I mean it's Coyote we're talking about here.

The question is why would he give it to her, and not care who in the court knows (With the exception of Jones? Renard did keep it hidden from her.) but be so protective the forest people's knowledge of it (the bind and his emphasis to keep it from Ysngrin as well.)

I suppose it could be for Annie's sake, given how much many foresters seem to hate people from the court and how they idolize Coyote and what their reaction might be to knowing that she was given such a great gift, but I can't help but thinking that there's something more. Jeanne would be a possible reason, but Coyote has never mentioned her at all or the Waters in any detail so that's unlikely unless his great secret is somehow connected to her and the Court's device.

I know it's wild speculation, but I can't help myself. I'm hooked hard on this and wanted to blab a bit.

I'm really curious what's going to happen if they use it in their confrontation with Jeanne, and I'm REALLY happy that Parley didn't cut herself trying to test that blade.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!

ATP_Power posted:

The question is why would he give it to her, and not care who in the court knows (With the exception of Jones? Renard did keep it hidden from her.) but be so protective the forest people's knowledge of it (the bind and his emphasis to keep it from Ysngrin as well.)

He probably didn't want a bunch of forest folk hounding him for teeth. People in the court don't really have any pull with the guy, so who cares if they know.

The guy already has one rock for a tooth, he probably doesn't want add to that number.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Dodgeball posted:

He probably didn't want a bunch of forest folk hounding him for teeth. People in the court don't really have any pull with the guy, so who cares if they know.

The guy already has one rock for a tooth, he probably doesn't want add to that number.

But the Rocks and stones are powerful teeth of his..

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

Dodgeball posted:

I actually read it as he's an elemental being in the truest sense and all of his teeth are rocks already. (ref: http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=486)

I don't see Coyote as too worried about things like replacing teeth given how easily he did it and that he grabbed the Moon from the sky to prove a point, that seems well below his concern.

Given how it was presented as a trifling gift for a small insult, and then the lengths he went to protect the knowledge of it inside the forest makes me think he has some plan for it in the longer run.

But this is Coyote we're talking about, so who knows? He probably has an agenda, and I can't wait to get more insights into it.

e:fb

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Every rock in the world is already one of Coyote's teeth, and if he needs one to be put back in his mouth where it belongs, he can easily arrange that. He is a god - a fallible and whimsical one, but a god no less - and has the power and the long vision commensurate with that status.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

Bongo Bill posted:

Every rock in the world is already one of Coyote's teeth, and if he needs one to be put back in his mouth where it belongs, he can easily arrange that. He is a god - a fallible and whimsical one, but a god no less - and has the power and the long vision commensurate with that status.

You may want to keep in mind that the only source of that information is Coyote himself. All we know for a fact is that he's extremely powerful (swatting Ysengrim like a bug, his control over the ether, shapeshifting, his tooth), but he's almost certainly a huge fibber.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Anyone wanna bet there will be some form of satellite-based laser in the next chapter?

Cos I do, and it will be awesome.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

thespaceinvader posted:

Anyone wanna bet there will be some form of satellite-based laser in the next chapter?

Cos I do, and it will be awesome.

Microsat five is a LLCA

(that's Large Laser Cow Array)

(The array is large, the laser cows are regular sized)

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!

karmicknight posted:

My main concern would be being constantly pestered by the beings that surround him, regardless of whether it hurts to pull a god-tooth or the ease of its replacement. Also, the forest people are his people, so it would restrict Annie's use of it over there, where as, who cares what she does with it in the Court.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

karmicknight posted:

Read that chapter again (obviously) and now I'm wondering who's body renard stole. That seems like the sort of thing that would be important.

Hammer Backspace
Jan 3, 2011

we're gonna throw a world domination slumber party and we're not inviting any boys!!!!

Zenzirouj posted:

You may want to keep in mind that the only source of that information is Coyote himself. All we know for a fact is that he's extremely powerful (swatting Ysengrim like a bug, his control over the ether, shapeshifting, his tooth), but he's almost certainly a huge fibber.

He also pulled the moon out of the sky on a whim, which doesn't exactly suggest he's penny ante either. Either way, he is the (joint) most sinister and mysterious character around at the moment. And he does it all while still being a real fun guy to hang around with. What I'm trying to say here is Coyote is the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Hammer Backspace posted:

He also pulled the moon out of the sky on a whim, which doesn't exactly suggest he's penny ante either. Either way, he is the (joint) most sinister and mysterious character around at the moment. And he does it all while still being a real fun guy to hang around with. What I'm trying to say here is Coyote is the best.

I guess my take on Coyote is a little different, based on my impressions from reading a bit of native american folklore. I'm not sure how much Sidell's Coyote differs from my interpretation of him, but that's to be seen.

I see Coyote as a playful and sometimes benevolent trickster, one who is purposeful in what he does, but not malevolent. I don't see him as a Loki. Coyote seemed to favor and help man (afterall, it was Coyote who came up with the plan to steal fire from the fire beings and give it to man, and in doing so resulted in the white on Coyote's tail, as well as the stripes and curled tail on the squirrel.) Actually...it seems the one feature that Sidell forgot...

So, mysterious, yes. Sinster, no. But, that depends on Sidell and where he's going with it; as much of my impressions of Coyote do not come from the comic, and allowing some huge assumptions on my part.