Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Are there any free statistic banks out there on total QB sacks/hits/hurries per defense?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Its Miller Time
Dec 4, 2004

Didn't someone post a good resource that showed Sanchez was the worst under pressure? Trying to find it now.

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/01/31/pressure-and-the-2011-quarterbacks/

Dey Yah
Dec 18, 2010
I just remembered that the Seahawks used to be an AFC team. They moved them to the NFC during the division restructuring in 2002 and brought the Texans into the AFC. I'm wondering why the Texans weren't just made an NFC team from the start. Anybody know what the deal is with that? huh?

Zorkon
Nov 21, 2008

WE CARE A LOT

Dey Yah posted:

I just remembered that the Seahawks used to be an AFC team. They moved them to the NFC during the division restructuring in 2002 and brought the Texans into the AFC. I'm wondering why the Texans weren't just made an NFC team from the start. Anybody know what the deal is with that? huh?
Probably because the Cowboys are already in the NFC.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

Dey Yah posted:

Here's the 2001 alignment
pre:
East 	        Central 	West          East 	    Central 	West
Buffalo 	Baltimore 	Denver 	      Arizona 	    Chicago 	Atlanta
Indianapolis 	Cincinnati 	Kansas City   Dallas 	    Detroit 	Carolina
Miami 	        Cleveland 	Oakland       NY Giants     Green Bay 	New Orleans
New England 	Jacksonville 	San Diego     Philadelphia  Minnesota 	St. Louis
NY Jets 	Pittsburgh 	Seattle       Washington    Tampa Bay 	San Francisco
                Tennessee
The NFL knew it should go to four divisions per conference--with 16 teams per conference, why insist on three divisions--so they knew the four divisions would be North, South, East and West. Add Houston to any of those four cardinal directions and you kinda have to pick South. Putting them with San Francisco would have been ridiculous.

So if they're in the South of one of the two conferences, yeah, I guess it could have been NFC and each would have 16, but then you'd have the new NFC West as San Francisco, Arizona, St. Louis...? Do you really take Minnesota in there? And in the NFC South you now have Atlanta, New Orleans, Houston, Tampa Bay, and Carolina on the outside looking in. It would kind of be a logjam on both sides. Switching Seattle broke up a couple half-rivalries but it was the better solution.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
Also, the Houston Oilers were an AFL team originally, so there's a bit of history behind a Houston team in the AFC.

bvlah
Aug 21, 2003
A stupid typo
What exactly is a scheme? Is it a particular strategy that a coach will use for a specific opponent or is it more like wrinkles added to a frequently used play?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

bvlah posted:

What exactly is a scheme? Is it a particular strategy that a coach will use for a specific opponent or is it more like wrinkles added to a frequently used play?

A scheme tends to be less specific than either of those, it generally refers to the general gameplan or philosophy. I've heard it referred to defense more than offense. A defensive alignment utilizing three down lineman and four linebackers could be called a "3-4 defense" or a "3-4 scheme." An offense based off of lining up a 4+ receivers on every play would probably be called a "spread offense" but I've never or rarely called it a "spread scheme."

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I have no real proof of this but I think scheme is generally used to describe a kind of broad type of gameplanning or strategy. 4-3 and 3-4 get called schemes, you'll hear about zone blocking schemes and blitz schemes. I suppose I'd define a 'scheme' as I usually hear it (from announcer/analyst types I mean) as a plan to account for whatever the other team might do and/or create mismatches that you can take advantage of.

There's probably a technical way coaches think of scheming that I'm not aware of, I'm just thinking of how I hear regular idiots like most of us talk about things.

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!
Scheme is one of those words that has several meanings and they all depends on the speaker and context.

For example, Rex Ryan and Greg Manusky both run a 3-4 defense, but their schemes are wildly different. Sean Payton and Mike McCarthy run the same offense and use basically the same scheme (aggressive downfield dropback passing using flood, levels and smash concepts) with minor personal variations.

Philosophy is related to scheme, but they are not the same. Your philosophy will dictate your scheme.

The broad scheme of an offense or defense is what you draw up on the blackboard and it would be successful everytime against a hypothetical opponent running a base defense/offense. This is your offensive system, so to speak. Of course opponents don't always play their base packages and even within their base packages players won't always play honest, and sometimes game situations dictate optimal playcalls, but this doesn't change that you have a core set of principals threaded through a majority of your offense or defense upon which you rely to be successful.

You also have schemes that are an overarching set of rules applied to a certain action, like blocking. You have zone blocking schemes, in which every run play with a zone blocking rule set or scheme will involve the same responsibilities for each player, regardless of if it is inside, outside, left, right etc. Similarly there are various pass blocking schemes that use the same rule sets. An example of this might be your 7 step drop series, which employs BoB (Big on Big) protection for numerous plays. No 2 plays in the 700 series might be the same, but the offensive lineman will use the same rules to block each time. (This all applies to that hypothetical perfect world, x's and o's on the blackboard scenario, as we will see in the next paragraph why some rules might change.)

Now on an weekly basis, you can scheme or gameplan. Say that you are the New York Jets, and you have an upcoming game against the Cowboys. You are afraid DeMarcus Ware might paralyze Mark Sanchez on the field because Wayne Hunter is the worst tackle in football and even the best tackles have a real hard time blocking Ware 1v1. You will (or you should) scheme to neutralize this pass rush threat by using players out of the backfield to chip block, keeping in a TE, changing line protections to slide towards Ware in certain situations etc.

Now on the level of a single play, there is a scheme, or the actual schematics of formation, alignment, technique, assignment, etc. Individual plays are often prone to gameplan scheme tweaks on a weekly basis and also incorporate some of the rule set schemes like zone blocking, and usually are part of the broad offensive system scheme.

So scheme can refer to many different things, you just have to rely on the context to determine how it is meant.

PUNCHITCHEWIE
Apr 4, 2009
IF I'M TALKING ABOUT FOOTBALL, IGNORE ME. I'M A FUCKING IDIOT.

Dey Yah posted:

Also Seattle was really terrible in the AFC West, no real rivalries developed, and all their home games seemed to be half empty so a fresh start was probably for the best.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

Pron on VHS posted:

Are there any free statistic banks out there on total QB sacks/hits/hurries per defense?

Not sure if is will be as detailed as what you are looking for, but I know Wolfram Alpha recently uploaded a bunch of NFL data. You can find some example queries you can run listed here: http://www.wolframalpha.com/examples/NationalFootballLeague.html

I used this to pull some stats on QB's for their first few years (Romo, Peyton, Eli) in some simple analysis. And I tried to look up defense sacks in a year, and it looked like it pulled the data.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Question for the UK NFL fans in here, what's the best place to watch games? Is there a website that streams them/has them available to download afterwards (legally)? I don't mind paying a subscription fee.

Frankston fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Mar 9, 2012

Jamsque
May 31, 2009

Frankston posted:

Question for the UK NFL fans in here, what's the best place to watch games? Is there a website that streams them/has them available to download afterwards (legally)? I don't mind paying a subscription fee.

How much do you not mind paying a subscription fee? I drop ~£160 every year on NFL Gamepass, which streams every game live and glorious EXCEPT the two that Sky broadcast on Sunday afternoon, and gives you access to an archive of every game in either full (with adverts trimmed) or compressed (just live play) versions. Last year they also provided the 2010 and 2009 archives but I'm not sure if that will be the same this year. The games that Sky shows are held out of the archive for a week but most other games go up the day after they happen.

I think it's very good value for money, except when the Eagles play in one of the blacked-out games. Unfortunately it doesn't last in to the playoffs, so I usually buy a one-off month of Sky for that (they have a web player for subscribers too).

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Jamsque posted:

Gamepass

Do they do a cheaper package for single teams only? £160 seems expensive for a lot of games I won't watch. I've decided to support the Eagles too, are they frequently blacked-out?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Frankston posted:

There are lots of online streams for NFL games that are usually posted in the game-day threads. Their legality and quality are sometimes questionable, but they're free.

Jamsque
May 31, 2009

Frankston posted:

Do they do a cheaper package for single teams only? £160 seems expensive for a lot of games I won't watch. I've decided to support the Eagles too, are they frequently blacked-out?

They do offer a cheaper package that is one team only, I can't recall how much it is.

The Eagles tend to be in two or three blacked out games a year in my experience.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

The Arena season has begun! Is/will there be a thread?

This year I've become a season ticket holder for the Sabercats, and my first arena game ever kicks off in 150 minutes.

DUNCAN DONUTS
Mar 27, 2010

by XyloJW

Malloreon posted:

This year I've become a season ticket holder for the Sabercats, and my first arena game ever kicks off in 150 minutes.

I would like to read one, I don't know loving anything about arena ball.

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
sobriety is for the weak and the stupid

Malloreon posted:

No reason you can't start one. A good enough first post and it would probably take off.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
I was at that Sabercats game too. A goal line stand to win a 71-70 game? sure!

Edit: not to derail.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What exactly is the Rex Ryan foot fetish scandal, I totally missed it when it happened and I want to laugh along with the rest of you.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

zoux posted:

What exactly is the Rex Ryan foot fetish scandal, I totally missed it when it happened and I want to laugh along with the rest of you.

His wife is apparently starring in foot fetish videos.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Basically it was dug up that there's a number of videos out there and information on swinger and fetish websites that match up with Rex and his wife, and when the New York media pounced, he admitted it.

And yeah, the videos were of the two of them doing foot fetish stuff apparently.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ok thanks. I thought it had to do with someone else, maybe a player, lusting after his wife's feet or something but that was probably some joke post I read.

Tahm Bwady
Aug 7, 2008

Its 1 thing to jump and be able to land on 2 feet but I had no idea I was landing in Heaven.Hope all is well on this good Friday
This is something I've wondered about for awhile and I just thought now to ask. Why do teams exchange late-round draft picks in the same round in a trade? It seems like it happens in almost every trade.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy

Tahm Bwady posted:

This is something I've wondered about for awhile and I just thought now to ask. Why do teams exchange late-round draft picks in the same round in a trade? It seems like it happens in almost every trade.

Sometimes it's Belichick loving around, but other times it's a way to tweak the value of a trade.

Player A for Player B is straightforward.

Player A for Player B plus 4th round pick is straightforward, but maybe that's a little too much and team B doesn't have a later round pick or team A isn't interested.

Player A plus 6th round pick for Player B plus 4th round pick doesn't cost either side a player for speculation, but it lets Team A get a little more for their player.

Basically, each pick has some monetary value and picking one spot earlier is worth X dollars. Trading picks lets you get down to a fair trade more precisely.

nnnAdam
Jul 8, 2007

Strength in Numbers

Kalli posted:

Basically it was dug up that there's a number of videos out there and information on swinger and fetish websites that match up with Rex and his wife, and when the New York media pounced, he admitted it.

And yeah, the videos were of the two of them doing foot fetish stuff apparently.

Maybe I'm remembering wrong, but the whole thing seemed to blow over fairly quick. Considering the market and the personality involved you figured it would have been a lot bigger and looking back it doesn't seem like it was. Like it was a week or so of jokes and then kind of gone.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Yeah, pretty much. Part of it is he admitted it, and it's so ridiculous and over the top that outside of bad puns, what can you really say?

Dude just likes feet and kinky sex. :ms:

KettleWL
Dec 28, 2010
Plus it's pretty hard for ESPN to report on 24/7 without using the vaguest terms imaginable.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA
He killed it with that press conference - there's no way to do a follow-up

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

Reminder that Belichick benched Wes Welker for the first drive in an actual playoff game that they went on to lose, for this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WCb17psf8A

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
aka basically the only player press conference I really remember. God drat that was funny

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA
As good a time as any to post the best player interview ever

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJshw2Axsqc

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Quick question: Fantasty football is when? I want to start a troll team. Could the Funhouse help me think of the best troll team? Tebow is a must I imagine.

EDIT:

Blackula69 posted:

As good a time as any to post the best player interview ever

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJshw2Axsqc
HOOOLLEEEE SHEEET. That is amazing.

Herr Tog fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Apr 6, 2012

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Herr Tog posted:

Quick question: Fantasty football is when? I want to start a troll team. Could the Funhouse help me think of the best troll team? Tebow is a must I imagine.

It's impossible to troll people in fantasy football unless you're good at working the waiver wire. Any other option and people will ignore you.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Declan MacManus posted:

It's impossible to troll people in fantasy football unless you're good at working the waiver wire. Any other option and people will ignore you.

Allow me to elaborate; my idea is to pick over rated players and ones with eastern euproean last names and some how mess up everyone elses team picks and come out with 1:1 win/loss ratio. I don't even know the waiver wire. I have never done fantasy sports.

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!

Herr Tog posted:

Allow me to elaborate; my idea is to pick over rated players and ones with eastern euproean last names and some how mess up everyone elses team picks and come out with 1:1 win/loss ratio. I don't even know the waiver wire. I have never done fantasy sports.

Going .500 with a poorly drafted team is not going to troll anyone. If anything it's going to aid them.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

McKracken posted:

Going .500 with a poorly drafted team is not going to troll anyone. If anything it's going to aid them.

Welp shows how much I know. At least I'll get some good giggles from it.
Any recommendations for overrated players for me to draft and cackle madly by myself with?

By the way thank you everyone for your corrections.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I'd say the best troll would be to actually kick everyone's asses if they expect you to not know much. I'm sadly no help with good or bad fantasy advice, the Armchair QB subforum will have plenty of fantasy folks chatting once we get a little closer to the actual season.

I just watched that Bart Scott interview again and I think my favorite thing about it is that he lands before doing the interview.

• Locked thread