Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

:pcgaming:
Quite the jape. You want an ear? I can get you an ear, believe me. Must needs, Ser. Gods, I can get you an ear by nightfall, with Lancel and Osmund Kettleblack and probably Moon Boy for all I know. The Others take these amateurs...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Ashrik posted:

Are these points supposed to be in disagreement? Asha manipulates that one guy who loves her, to very little effect. How many battles/castles/moots must she lose and how long she be imprisoned before she can be branded a bit of a gently caress up? So much of her story seems to thematically mirror Cersei's with the The Gurm's take on penis-envy.

As for Theon, change that but to an and and that sentence compares the two even more closely.

She manipulated that one guy, first because he was a potential supporter at the kingsmoot, and then because he wasn't much of a fighter and her manipulation inspired him to fight harder than he might otherwise have done.

She lost one moot where she was highly unlikely to win anyway due to her sex, and which she mainly seemed interested in as a platform for decrying the senselessness of this latest rebellion. The battle she lost was one forced on her due to a complete lack of options, not a blunder.

I suppose I'll grant Theon, though.

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.

Ravus posted:

Yup. He's a really odd looking guy in the books. That guy ^^^ is not odd. He's generic. And butch looking. And black. These are all SEPARATE faults with the physical aspect of the casting. Not a call that all black people look alike and all gay people need to be queens. Jesus gently caress bad thread, stop being so thin skinned.

If he pulls it off then massive props to him, Syrio-actor-guy nailed his part without looking exactly right so it can happen.

You're forgetting TV audiences. There's only so many well dressed, bald, portly white fellows you can stick in a show before you confuse Johnny Casual. They didn't just make this show for the cynical, hardcore fans.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009

Arms_Akimbo posted:

You're forgetting TV audiences. There's only so many well dressed, bald, portly white fellows you can stick in a show before you confuse Johnny Casual. They didn't just make this show for the cynical, hardcore fans.

Thank god too, it pains me to say this but all the rape and nihilism would end the show prematurely before The Red Wedding which is the ultimate troll.

Dany's jesuit odyssey in the desert should be called the Red Wedding

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

whowhatwhere posted:

She manipulated that one guy, first because he was a potential supporter at the kingsmoot, and then because he wasn't much of a fighter and her manipulation inspired him to fight harder than he might otherwise have done.

She lost one moot where she was highly unlikely to win anyway due to her sex, and which she mainly seemed interested in as a platform for decrying the senselessness of this latest rebellion. The battle she lost was one forced on her due to a complete lack of options, not a blunder.

I suppose I'll grant Theon, though.

She lets Theon cop a feel, that has to count for something. It's not like Gurm just puts creepy poo poo in his books for no reas...

oh.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

IRQ posted:

She lets Theon cop a feel, that has to count for something. It's not like Gurm just puts creepy poo poo in his books for no reas...

oh.
Did you really expect GRRM to resist putting some more brother/sister incest in his novels?

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
I do my best to ignore that it continued all the way to the castle, even after he tried to cop a feel.

The initial flirting and such I can excuse on the grounds that she's trying to understand his character, but I'm pretty sure that by the time he groped her she'd already gotten all she needed on that front.

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I thought Theon flat out hosed Asha, but I got confused with the salt wives thing anyways. Is this not the case?

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Dead Man Posting posted:

I thought Theon flat out hosed Asha, but I got confused with the salt wives thing anyways. Is this not the case?

No, you're thinking of the captain's daughter on the ship that brought him back home. He just felt up and flirted with Asha on the way to the castle.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Urdnot Fire posted:

No, you're thinking of the captain's daughter on the ship that brought him back home. He just felt up and flirted with Asha on the way to the castle.

Plus the awks meeting when he ran into the captain's daughter with Asha and turned on the charm.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
Don't forget that Asha grabbed his junk too, knowing who he was.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
I'm not one for fanon, but I refuse to acknowledge the canonicity of that scene. gently caress GRRM.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

whowhatwhere posted:

I'm not one for fanon, but I refuse to acknowledge the canonicity of that scene. gently caress GRRM.

It can't be stated enough: Gurm hates everybody.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009

Urdnot Fire posted:

Ahhh, the classic scene when Theon made her "taste the sea", something I'm sure Aeron Greyjoy is well accustomed to.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

bigmcgaffney posted:

Ahhh, the classic scene when Theon made her "taste the sea", something I'm sure Aeron Greyjoy is well accustomed to.

By pulling her hair, no less. Truly Theon Greyjoy is the pinnacle of gentleman-hood. The best part is he's thinking about his dad during the whole thing.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

New (poo poo quality) GoT trailer here.

Legitimately cool stuff:

-Dragonfire
-The Comet
-Melissandre in Shadow Baby Birth-giving pose
-Stannis being announced on-screen
-Rob all but confirming that Jeyne and that crap is going to be in here (wasn't that ASoS? It has been a while and those books are ever so dense)
-Shots of minor characters we all love to jerk off to

and more curiously, nothing about Theon whatsoever.

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

mind the walrus posted:

Legitimately cool stuff:

-Dragonfire
-The Comet
-Rob all but confirming that Jeyne and that crap is going to be in here (wasn't that ASoS? It has been a while and those books are ever so dense)

Worse trailer than the first but whatever new screens of Stannis so it's cool

Stay Safe fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Feb 26, 2012

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I'm not reading far enough into that thread to discover why the title is NO GRRM, sorry. It's probably hilarious and/or pathetic, and almost certainly lemony.

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I'm not reading far enough into that thread to discover why the title is NO GRRM, sorry. It's probably hilarious and/or pathetic, and almost certainly lemony.

Pretty sure some goon waltzed right in there and said "Well, as GRRM portrays women in his "A Song of Ice and Fire" series, I believe that..."

Then there's 20 pages of rape.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Maybe! I've been going backwards through it, and there's actually some pretty interesting discussions. There's also a lot of things that I, with my heteronormative caucasian cisgendered privilege, give no fucks about.

And then there's this blog post, a fairly funny critique of George "Rape Rape" Martin's opus.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I read the first 20 pages or so of that thread back when it started and it was the standard argument over whether transpeople should be considered male/female with one fantastically dense moron with his heels dug in and everyone else telling him how stupid he is.

I'd love to know how they got to Gurm but 200 pages? No thanks.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

IRQ posted:

I'd love to know how they got to Gurm but 200 pages? No thanks.
Skimming through the last few pages, it seems they got started when someone brought up the blog post Blade_of_tyshalle linked.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I'm pretty sure he lifted that title from one of our past bad threads.

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I've skimmed the last two pages of that thread.

This thread is like the exact opposite of that thread.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

It has quality posts?

Wili
Apr 7, 2010

ppppbbbbtttthhhhhhttppp!
Is it so brilliant it becomes absolutely terrible?

zocio
Nov 3, 2011
Am i to assume that they don't jape about nuncles, nipples and scat?

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Maybe! I've been going backwards through it, and there's actually some pretty interesting discussions. There's also a lot of things that I, with my heteronormative caucasian cisgendered privilege, give no fucks about.

And then there's this blog post, a fairly funny critique of George "Rape Rape" Martin's opus.

That blog post is hilarious and dumb. I love reading it to laugh at it.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses

Factor_VIII posted:

No quote? Surely the could have put something along the lines of "imma gonna cut your little girl's ear up! :ese:"

By the way, what about a Hodor card? (Though I will be disappointed if its text isn't a string of "Hodor".

Deadly:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Ross posted:

Deadly:
I guess that fits. Hodor is a killing machine that would make the Terminator hang its head in shame after all.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

IRQ posted:

I'm pretty sure he lifted that title from one of our past bad threads.
The Bad Thread has had some awesome titles throughout it's many incarnations over the years. I imagine one could measure the hate growing towards Gurm just by looking at a list of the thread titles in chronological order.

savinhill fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Feb 26, 2012

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

mind the walrus posted:

Legitimately cool stuff:

-Dragonfire
-The Comet

Makes sense to bring in Jeyne early, as to be honest, we don't see Robb do much in ACoK, given he's not a POV character and Cat goes off and does her thing for half the book. It'll be less out of left field and make things feel more developed by the time we get to the Red Wedding.

I think there's a brief shot of Theon in that trailer, but they're probably not going to focus on him much in previews. We all know Theon well, but if all you've seen is season one, he didn't really stand out too much. "Oh yeah, that other Stark brother who likes having sex with whores and is a bit of a dick... wait, he's not a Stark? Who the hell is Rickon Stark then?"

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

I'm surprised the Hodor card isn't an enchantment or whatever for the Bran card, like a Chariot in MtG.

Azure_Horizon posted:

That blog post is hilarious and dumb. I love reading it to laugh at it.

I particularly enjoyed the mocking names for Brienne.

Blade_of_tyshalle fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Feb 26, 2012

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

I'm surprised the Hodor card isn't an enchantment or whatever for the Bran card, like a Chariot in MtG.

Bran is more of a parasite on (or rather: in) Hodor.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

But Hodor is very nearly an inanimate object. He's just an artifact card, like a Phyrexian War Beast.

Tap 3 mana of any colour to play Hodor, a 2/2 artifact creature with Trample. If Bran Stark is also in play, Hodor automatically takes any and all damage intended for Bran, no matter the source or type. If you would bury Hodor, tap 1 Green mana to regenerate his health and destroy Bran, changing Hodor to a 3/3 artifact creature as an instant.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Bran, of course, can take over any creature/dimwitted sapient card the opponent has played.

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Bran is obviously going to play a huge role with the Wall arch soon.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

whowhatwhere posted:

Bran, of course, can take over any creature/dimwitted sapient card the opponent has played.

Makes him a great counter to Dany. Tap 5 water to poo poo water, 2 damage to every card in play except Daaaario.

Maytag
Nov 4, 2006

it's enough that it all be filled with that majestic sadness that is the pleasure of tragedy.
You think Bran can warg into wights?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART

Dead Man Posting posted:

Bran is obviously going to play a huge role with the Wall arch soon.

By soon you mean like 2017, right?