Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Awesome Animals posted:

So, there is a small chance I'll be moving to N. Cali, Orange County. How far is that from some of you N. Cali players?

Orange County as in the Orange County by LA in South CA? Or is there another Orange County I'm not familiar with?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Yeah that's southern California, south of Los Angeles. I think a few people play at Anaheim but I've never met them.

You sure you have the right county?

sevorak
Apr 27, 2011
Lost to a team with no goalie last night. And broke one of my sticks. Ugh. It was the team that should be playing 3-4 leagues higher, but still, awful game. All kinds of turnovers in the defensive zone, odd man rushes, etc.

This team is frustrating as gently caress to play against though. When your have three or four dudes faster than anyone on the other team, some of whom are still learning to skate, and take slapshots from the point when half the other team can barely take a wrist shot maybe you shouldn't be in a beginner's league.

One of their dudes went down awkwardly and was obviously shaken up after colliding with one of our guys and his teammate just skated around him screaming at him to get up when he didn't spring to his feet right away. :downs: At least I know they're douchebags to each other too.

Ugh. Sorry for the :rant:. Did not get much sleep last night because of the late game and I'm tired of playing against this team.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

sevorak posted:

Ugh. Sorry for the :rant:. Did not get much sleep last night because of the late game and I'm tired of playing against this team.

I feel ya. Going back a few posts ago I'm looking forward to a few phenoms going coast-to-coast on us tonight. Game is at 9.30pm and I don't know if I have it in me to go out for beers that late to take the edge off, either.

Kashew
Feb 1, 2009
I ENJOY TALKING IN CIRCLES AND LEADING THREADS INTO POINTLESS DERAILS. DO NOT RESPOND TO MY POSTS, YOU ARE ONLY ENABLING ME TO CONTINUE BEING AN IDIOT. JUST IGNORE ME, PLEASE.

Awesome Animals posted:

So, there is a small chance I'll be moving to N. Cali, Orange County. How far is that from some of you N. Cali players?

....Orange County is deep, deep, deep in SoCal.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Has anyone in these parts had custom jerseys made with "cad printing" or "print and cut"?

It seems reasonably cheap for one off jerseys, but I'm having trouble finding details about durability or appearance. That is, can you run this stuff through the wash, and/or does it peel off after three months?

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Orange County as in the Orange County by LA in South CA? Or is there another Orange County I'm not familiar with?

sellouts posted:

Yeah that's southern California, south of Los Angeles. I think a few people play at Anaheim but I've never met them.

You sure you have the right county?

Kashew posted:

....Orange County is deep, deep, deep in SoCal.

I don't know what's right anymore. lol. I'm sorry for being an idiot. It is OC. I got confused because the reason of the move is because of my gf's grad school, and she applied to a school in Sacramento and one in Orange County. I'm mixing everything up.

The Dark Souls of Posters fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Feb 23, 2012

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
I know there are rinks in Anaheim and Yorba Linda for sure.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Anaheim Ice and KHS are 2 rinks in Anaheim. I'm sure there are others but they're just too far and I'm spread pretty thin as it is.

I have drop ins at Burbank (Pickwick) & Panorama City (Valley Ice Arena) and play in leagues in El Segundo at Toyota Sports Center and in Torrance and Bay Harbor.

If you want to come up to LA county to skate let me know and I can get you info once you get here.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
Anaheim Ice (Disney Ice, ducks practice facility)
KHS (Glacial Gardens)
Artesia (Michelle Kwans rink)
Westminister (old grocery store)
Yorba Linda (old grocery store)

Then a bit further theres 2 rinks in Ontario, and the handfull of rinks surrounding LA

D C fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Feb 24, 2012

Kashew
Feb 1, 2009
I ENJOY TALKING IN CIRCLES AND LEADING THREADS INTO POINTLESS DERAILS. DO NOT RESPOND TO MY POSTS, YOU ARE ONLY ENABLING ME TO CONTINUE BEING AN IDIOT. JUST IGNORE ME, PLEASE.
drat. I miss having multiple hockey rinks nearby. I have the one. The next nearest is at least an hour away.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

Are they booing the power play?

I was saying Boo-urns!
So last night my team had the pleasure of call against us due to what has to be one of the worst USA hockey rules. Our got was jumped by someone on the other team and in the scuffle the guys helmet fell off. So our played received a major and was kicked out of the game. Problem is that the guy had a half shield and a chin strap 6 inches too big. It slipped right off..

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

poser posted:

So last night my team had the pleasure of call against us due to what has to be one of the worst USA hockey rules. Our got was jumped by someone on the other team and in the scuffle the guys helmet fell off. So our played received a major and was kicked out of the game. Problem is that the guy had a half shield and a chin strap 6 inches too big. It slipped right off..

Yeah, I think that rule is kind of ridiculous too. But he should prob fix his chinstrap anyway...

Kashew
Feb 1, 2009

poser posted:

It's like not tying your jersey down. Stupid rule in most cases, but just do it.

toxicsunset
Sep 19, 2005

BUY MORE CRABS

Benson Cunningham posted:

Where are you doing 8$ stick times? I used to play in Delmont, but now I play in North Kittaning, Warrendale, Rostravor, and sometimes Castle Shannon. (These are all places around Pittsburgh for anyone who is confused)

Stick time at Ice Castle(Castle Shannon) is most def. $8 for an hour and a half. It's in the AM, 10:00 to 11:30 if i recall correctly, but during the summer they run weekends also. There's pickup of varying quality all over the place if you know the right guys. It's over now but I used to know of a $5 for 3+ hour session at Schenley monday nights from midnight til the guy who runs it gets tired(anytime from 2:00 to as late as 4:15 before). There's a guy who overcharges that runs about a million pickup games but charges like $15 for an hour. There's, again, now over due to weather saturday nights at schenley for $10 for two hours. Another one thursday nights at south park for $10 for an hour. If you go on craigslist you can find guys advertising their ice time and poo poo sometimes. Or just ask around.

toxicsunset fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Feb 24, 2012

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I took a puck in the ribs tonight and a decent bruise is showing up, but you know what is really bugging the gently caress out of me? The papercut like slice I put in my finger drying off my skates and accidentally rubbing against the blade. :argh:

Seriously, paper cuts (or I guess blade cuts in this case) are the worst thing in the world.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

xzzy posted:

I took a puck in the ribs tonight and a decent bruise is showing up, but you know what is really bugging the gently caress out of me? The papercut like slice I put in my finger drying off my skates and accidentally rubbing against the blade. :argh:

Seriously, paper cuts (or I guess blade cuts in this case) are the worst thing in the world.

I still have a big rear end scar on the outside of my thumb that I got after sharpening a pair of skates when I was 18, big triangle flap of skin was shaved off, bled like crazy too.

(I finished sharpening the skates, I was the only one there and there was a lineup)

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
Lost 6-4 with the empty net at the end tonight. It was a loving battle. Our captain broke his wrist tonight and is now out 6-8 weeks. gently caress the C-leaguers playing in D-league.

El Nam
Jan 14, 2007
We found Charlie

Awesome Animals posted:

I don't know what's right anymore. lol. I'm sorry for being an idiot. It is OC. I got confused because the reason of the move is because of my gf's grad school, and she applied to a school in Sacramento and one in Orange County. I'm mixing everything up.

I skate mostly at Anaheim Ice and Westminster Ice. PM me and we can play a super fun Thursday morning skate at AI.

El Nam
Jan 14, 2007
We found Charlie

D C posted:

$5.50 for 2 hours of drop in

$5.50 for 6 hours of stick and puck.

Where are you from?

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

El Nam posted:

Where are you from?

Vancouver, ice in Richmond.

Kashew
Feb 1, 2009
Just baked my skates...they fit so much better. Breaking in equipment is fun.

diapermeat
Feb 10, 2009
Thought I would post this because of how much these helped me out.

I swapped to wax laces to keep my skates nice and tight throughout the game. Only problem was after a few games, the front of my foot, where it connects to my leg, started to really hurt. Up to a point where I could barely skate.

I then found these:

http://www.gformcanada.com/Lace_Bite_Gel_Pad_p/lbg.htm
(they have a US store as well) (Also, I dont' work for these guys, nor am I getting referral poo poo, just a plug for something that helped me out)

I can say that these things work WONDERS. No more pain, and I can tighten the skates as much as I want.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Lace bite seems to depend on the skate, and I'm not sure what the controlling factor is. An obvious thing to check would be the amount of padding on the tongue, but most skates I've tried have seemed pretty equivalent in that department.

And yet, I can winch down on my Eastons until my fingers bleed and I never get lace bite. The Reeboks I owned previous? If I didn't get the tension just perfect my ankles would be in burning agony within 20 minutes.

diapermeat
Feb 10, 2009

xzzy posted:

Lace bite seems to depend on the skate, and I'm not sure what the controlling factor is. An obvious thing to check would be the amount of padding on the tongue, but most skates I've tried have seemed pretty equivalent in that department.

And yet, I can winch down on my Eastons until my fingers bleed and I never get lace bite. The Reeboks I owned previous? If I didn't get the tension just perfect my ankles would be in burning agony within 20 minutes.

I'm using a year old pair of Bauer X:20's (i'm at work, can't confirm the #). Wasn't planning on buying new skates for a few years, so this is a cheap solution I guess.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

diapermeat posted:

I'm using a year old pair of Bauer X:20's (i'm at work, can't confirm the #). Wasn't planning on buying new skates for a few years, so this is a cheap solution I guess.

What I've noticed with Bauer and my feet is that their skates improve greatly usually above the $200 range, so X4 and up are generally great on my feet with no signs of lace bite. I originally wanted a pair of X3s because they were black and white but after trying them out, I got really bad lace bite on the tongue because it was thinner and less rigid.

Lace bite is essentially just pressure points from the tightening of the laces focused on a small area. A good thick tongue and boot will keep their structure to spread the pressure from the laces across more of the foot than one small area. Usually the more you spend on a hockey skate, the stiffer the boot and tongue will both be. A good tongue should be semi rigid especially down the center. The boot itself will help with lace bite if it keeps its shape from flexing too much.

I dont really know if those things will work at all, to me they seem like they would actually feel worse but who knows. It seems that the best protection would be to add some rigidity between your tongue and your laces with a molded piece of plastic or cardboard or something.

This is essentially what Im talking about.
http://www.icewarehouse.com/descpage.html?pcode=LBPAD

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

The last time I used wax laces they yanked a couple of eyelets out of my skates. Granted they're 12 year old Graf 705s (best drat pair of skates I've ever owned, hence the 12 years), and I also hate the feeling of wax on my hands. I've never had lace bite issues with them either.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

shyguy posted:

The last time I used wax laces they yanked a couple of eyelets out of my skates. Granted they're 12 year old Graf 705s (best drat pair of skates I've ever owned, hence the 12 years), and I also hate the feeling of wax on my hands. I've never had lace bite issues with them either.

I don't like wax laces either, but unwaxed are even worse. Skating for 10 minutes and feeling your foot float around in the boot because the laces stretched out is a hell of a lot more annoying than waxy fingers.

Laces in general just suck because they're so imprecise.

Ski boots are so much easier. :smith:

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

^^^ Good point, my snowboard boots own. Easy to put on, and comfy as hell.

I have Vapor X:50s and I can crank the laces down as hard as I want and never get any lace bite.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

poser posted:

So basically a Bertuzzi chin strap? Completely useless.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

trilljester posted:

So basically a Bertuzzi chin strap? Completely useless.

Agreed. Todd Bertuzzi is completely useless.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Bert owns. You shut up.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Feb 25, 2012

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

I suffered some lace bite on my x-20's too. It was when I was first learning to skate backwards and was getting some extra pressure there, the lace cut a divot into the tongue. It went away after I improved my technique and made sure the laces where always flat(important). My current x-50's have an armored tongue, never had a bite problem.

Edit: Oh and to chime in on prices. Im in Southern Maine, there are like 5 rinks within 30 min of me. But I only skate at the 2 closest, day pickup is $5 for an hour at one and $8 for an hour twenty at the other. That one has night pickup $10 for an hour twenty. I haven't gotten into a league yet so I don't have detail but I think its generally only like 250-300 per player. Oh and the adult clinic I did was 260 for 7 2hr sessions.

Fingat fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Feb 25, 2012

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Don't worry, Tyler Myers is holding it for you...

xzzy posted:

I don't like wax laces either, but unwaxed are even worse. Skating for 10 minutes and feeling your foot float around in the boot because the laces stretched out is a hell of a lot more annoying than waxy fingers.

Laces in general just suck because they're so imprecise.

Ski boots are so much easier. :smith:
I put a lace lock around the ankle bend used some zipper lacing to help hold it or something like that. It's a bit of a chore to lace and unlace sometimes, but once they're in...goddammit they never let go. Never feel sloppy in my boots. It's great.

These thingies:
http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/zipperlacing.htm
http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/locklacing.htm

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Benson Cunningham posted:

Where are you doing 8$ stick times? I used to play in Delmont, but now I play in North Kittaning, Warrendale, Rostravor, and sometimes Castle Shannon. (These are all places around Pittsburgh for anyone who is confused)

As toxicsunset said, Ice Castle in Castle Shannon has $8 stick time for 90 minutes. It's weekdays 10-11:30 or 3:40-5:10pm. The late one sometimes changes by an hour or so. I also would recommend not going to the late one unless you feel like trying to not run over little kids the whole time. Also rear end in a top hat instructors give kids private lessons then and literally set up pylons covering like half of the zone by the net. It's loving bullshit.

e:

toxicsunset posted:

Stick time at Ice Castle(Castle Shannon) is most def. $8 for an hour and a half. It's in the AM, 10:00 to 11:30 if i recall correctly, but during the summer they run weekends also. There's pickup of varying quality all over the place if you know the right guys. It's over now but I used to know of a $5 for 3+ hour session at Schenley monday nights from midnight til the guy who runs it gets tired(anytime from 2:00 to as late as 4:15 before). There's a guy who overcharges that runs about a million pickup games but charges like $15 for an hour. There's, again, now over due to weather saturday nights at schenley for $10 for two hours. Another one thursday nights at south park for $10 for an hour. If you go on craigslist you can find guys advertising their ice time and poo poo sometimes. Or just ask around.

I had someone mention to me at Ice Castle that he'd go to that midnight stuff at Schenley. It sounds like it'd be the most awesome thing ever. I also never thought to check craigslist. What category is it under?

Look Around You fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Feb 25, 2012

ZebraBlade
Mar 26, 2010

Something is rotten in the state of Denmark
I played hockey for 14 years in Minnesota, but haven't played for at least 4 or 5 years and haven't bought a stick in 6 or 7. How do I choose one of these new fan-dangled carbon fiber sticks? How durable are they compared to wood? I broke many sticks in my Varsity years and I really cant afford $200 a month on sticks. Is there still a good place to find wood sticks? Will I ever stop asking questions?

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Durability: Composite sticks can literally last years, but that's usually not the case. I wish I could give an average, but it really varies from person to person. I've had some really good luck with sticks and really bad with others. I have a Warrior stick right now that has lasted me a year and a half at least, and another I had bought in the summer that recently snapped. And I've bought a composite stick that broke after the second skate (though this is a rarity), and the replacement did to. (They come with a 30 day warranty so for you're guaranteed to get at least 30 days from it.)

In general though, you get your monies worth. You can pick up composites on sale as cheap as $60, and a pretty good one ranging from $100-120; $200 is steep and I'd never spend that much on a stick. A good wooden stick costs about $30 and does not have near the durability of a composite stick. Anyone who used a wood stick growing up knows that after a couple months or so, a wood stick starts to "die" because the fibers inside the stick break from flexing it to shoot, pass, whatever. It usually gets to a point where you can't shoot worth a drat and have to buy a new stick. This is if the blade doesn't crack first.

Though a blade on a composite stick may snap or crack, it's a little harder to than with a wooden one. Plus, composite sticks flex back to their original point and don't lose any whip to the flex over time like wooden sticks do, which is why people prefer them and can use them for years at a time.

Choosing a stick: Flex and curve are the two most important. I don't think I need to tell you what kind of curve you need, but most everyone seems to go with 85 or 100 flex. If you're used to a wooden stick, go with 100. Some brands are whipier than others. Warriors tends to be stiffer, whereas Eastons tends to be very whippy.

Gio fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Feb 26, 2012

Green Submarine
Oct 21, 2000

There will come soft rains...

ZebraBlade posted:

Is there still a good place to find wood sticks?

http://www.cbhockey.com/

Outside of outfits like that one, manufacturers are cutting back dramatically on the range of options they offer in wood.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Don't worry, Tyler Myers is holding it for you...

ZebraBlade posted:

I played hockey for 14 years in Minnesota, but haven't played for at least 4 or 5 years and haven't bought a stick in 6 or 7. How do I choose one of these new fan-dangled carbon fiber sticks? How durable are they compared to wood? I broke many sticks in my Varsity years and I really cant afford $200 a month on sticks. Is there still a good place to find wood sticks? Will I ever stop asking questions?
One of the downsides of going with wood these days is that most of the wood sticks being produced are entry level. There are not very many companies making high quality wood sticks nowadays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toxicsunset
Sep 19, 2005

BUY MORE CRABS

Look Around You posted:

As toxicsunset said, Ice Castle in Castle Shannon has $8 stick time for 90 minutes. It's weekdays 10-11:30 or 3:40-5:10pm. The late one sometimes changes by an hour or so. I also would recommend not going to the late one unless you feel like trying to not run over little kids the whole time. Also rear end in a top hat instructors give kids private lessons then and literally set up pylons covering like half of the zone by the net. It's loving bullshit.

e:

I had someone mention to me at Ice Castle that he'd go to that midnight stuff at Schenley. It sounds like it'd be the most awesome thing ever. I also never thought to check craigslist. What category is it under?

Under "community" just search "hockey". You get better results in winter months obvs