Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
They could have designed it to use 5v like ios devices and when you have a bad ac adapter you can just go buy anything made for an ipad instead of having to order their own $30 power brick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
So what format is the plug?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Splizwarf posted:

So what format is the plug?

The transformers and galaxy tabs are both proprietary i think. The dell streak used PDMI. and a bunch of them use barrel plugs.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Don Lapre posted:

They could have designed it to use 5v like ios devices and when you have a bad ac adapter you can just go buy anything made for an ipad instead of having to order their own $30 power brick.

The iPad has its own proprietary connector so that wouldn't do any good unless your cable was still in good shape, in which case any number of 110VAC->5VDC adapters would work.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
The Galaxy Tab is PDMI with two of the pins reversed, IIRC, because I have a Streak and the Tab's connector fits but doesn't work.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

The iPad has its own proprietary connector so that wouldn't do any good unless your cable was still in good shape, in which case any number of 110VAC->5VDC adapters would work.

The ipad chargers arn't hard wired. Its just a brick with a usb connector thats designed to put out 2.1a.

Splizwarf posted:

The Galaxy Tab is PDMI with two of the pins reversed, IIRC, because I have a Streak and the Tab's connector fits but doesn't work.

If its not electrically compatible then it might as well not be pdmi.

ModestMuse
Jun 25, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your GPS
I'd be a heavenly person today
The Prime charge puts out 15 VDC / 1.2 Amps
USB port is 0.5 VDC / 0.5 Amps.
iPad charge does 5 VDC / 2.0 Amps

*my source is some dude on a forum

so can a microUSB output 15 VDC at 1.2 Amps?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

ModestMuse posted:

The Prime charge puts out 15 VDC / 1.2 Amps
USB port is 0.5 VDC / 0.5 Amps.
iPad charge does 5 VDC / 2.0 Amps

*my source is some dude on a forum

so can a microUSB output 15 VDC at 1.2 Amps?

USB is 5v @ .5a. However lots of laptops and motherboards can do 5v @ 2.1a now.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Don Lapre posted:

The ipad chargers arn't hard wired. Its just a brick with a usb connector thats designed to put out 2.1a.

That's why I mentioned "any number of 110VAC->5VDC adapters." Similar adapters are made by Samsung, RIM and several third parties. That's still doesn't solve the problem of the proprietary connector on the device itself. It's not so bad with Apple since the cables are easy to find due to ubiquity, but other manufacturers without a large install base are just being jerks by making a new connector.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

That's why I mentioned "any number of 110VAC->5VDC adapters." Similar adapters are made by Samsung, RIM and several third parties. That's still doesn't solve the problem of the proprietary connector on the device itself. It's not so bad with Apple since the cables are easy to find due to ubiquity, but other manufacturers without a large install base are just being jerks by making a new connector.

Most of the issues people are having is their bricks failing, not the cables. Alot of people on XDA were actually asked to send their tablet back with their ac adapters when the bricks failed.

They had no other option other than ordering the correct proprietary brick online, and when the transformer first came out you couldn't even do that.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Don Lapre posted:

Most of the issues people are having is their bricks failing, not the cables. Alot of people on XDA were actually asked to send their tablet back with their ac adapters when the bricks failed.

They had no other option other than ordering the correct proprietary brick online, and when the transformer first came out you couldn't even do that.

We're on the same page. Proprietary connectors are terrible. There's only three reasons I can think of that they didn't use USB:
  • They didn't want to go outside of the USB spec with a higher amperage.
  • They wanted to make more money by forcing customers to buy their adapters.
  • Incompetence.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Don Lapre posted:

If its not electrically compatible then its not PDMI

That's why I specified that it was PDMI with some screwy pins. Changing the pinout doesn't make it not a PDMI-shaped plug.

On the one hand, yes, on the other hand, there's 30 pins in a PDMI connector and in an Apple dock connector, and as I understand it USB doesn't come close to the available bandwidth of either one. PDMI was started with the intention of having an industry-wide free alternative to the Apple dock, which costs money to license. It didn't get the traction they expected.

Personally, I wish manufacturers would just license the loving thing so iPod docks worked with everything.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
I'm not sure if my Keyboard dock is working like it's supposed to. My tablet's barely been off the dock today, since I've mostly been using it as a stand as it sits next to me at work all day, but the pad is at 73% power and the keyboard is at 92%. I see the pad's power declining quite a bit faster than the keyboard's.

Does the keyboard only really supply the tablet with power when the tablet is low? I expected it to basically drain off the keyboard as long as the keyboard is actually plugged into it, constantly keeping the tablet at 100% until undocked.

Edit: A bit of research on ASUS's site says that the keyboard itself only actually charges the tablet if it goes below 70%, and only charges it up to 90% A bit odd and not exactly intuitive, but it makes enough sense.

Frozen Peach fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Feb 24, 2012

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Splizwarf posted:

as I understand it USB doesn't come close to the available bandwidth of either one.

USB2 is 480Mbps (60MB/s) which is more than any (current) mobile device can handle. Also, It appears the charging spec was updated to a maximum of 5A over a year ago, so my first bullet earlier is invalid.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

USB2 is 480Mbps (60MB/s) which is more than any (current) mobile device can handle. Also, It appears the charging spec was updated to a maximum of 5A over a year ago, so my first bullet earlier is invalid.

That was a stupid thing for me to say anyway because the other end of the cable is standard USB. :hurr:

What is the upshot to PDMI and Apple's dock then? I thought I'd read about this but can't search it up at work.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Splizwarf posted:

That was a stupid thing for me to say anyway because the other end of the cable is standard USB. :hurr:

What is the upshot to PDMI and Apple's dock then? I thought I'd read about this but can't search it up at work.

They have audio/video outs so you can have a dock that plays stuff through them.

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account

Splizwarf posted:

If I understand the question correctly, all the additional pins allow other functionality in a pretty straightforward manner. For instance, there's video/audio out pins. A device doesn't need to talk to the iDevice via USB (though it can), all you need is a dock to split out the signal and ship it to your stereo/TV/etc.

http://pinouts.ru/PortableDevices/ipod_pinout.shtml

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
That explains how the Streak dock has headphone/speaker and HDMI out available. Thanks.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
If anybody else with a TF101 was stupid like me and took the OTA and lost root, you can get it back with this. Just make sure you only choose option 1. Don't use it to install CWM.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

Don Lapre posted:

Most of the issues people are having is their bricks failing, not the cables.

A lot of the brick problems at least are either pin related (they might need to be bent slightly out) or (a lot more common) put in a ziplock back and thrown into your freezer for a while to reset the thermal cut-out. Personally I've only known one case where either of those two things didn't fix the problems with the brick.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

That isn't fixed, and a thermal cutout should reset itself at room temperate.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

Cakefool posted:

That isn't fixed, and a thermal cutout should reset itself at room temperate.

It can. Its just a hell of a lot faster (especially on a warm day) to freeze it for a little while. Especially if it happens on a 40 degree celsius day like it was here the other week.

Secret Sweater
Oct 17, 2005
dup
The battery is one of the more annoying aspects of my transformer. I shouldn't have to feel like I need to glue heatsinks to it to feel like I'm not in danger of burning my house down.

Captain Kevbo
Oct 14, 2000

Vykk.Draygo posted:

If anybody else with a TF101 was stupid like me and took the OTA and lost root, you can get it back with this. Just make sure you only choose option 1. Don't use it to install CWM.

Nice! Worked like a charm and I`m posting from a rooted TF101 with ICS. Thanks!

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime

Captain Kevbo posted:

Out of curiosity, why do you feel like you need root on your tablet? I rooted my transformer pre ICS and I never even ended up using anything that required root access.

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

I was raised on the dairy, Bitch!
Just had my first ICS system crash on my TF101, so that's fun. The best part is where it was stuck in a boot loop until I did a manual hard reset.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Captain Kevbo posted:

So, uh, did you guys do anything special to get it to recognize that there's an update? I've got one at work, but it keeps telling me there's no update available for it.

Secret Sweater
Oct 17, 2005
dup

rotaryfun posted:

Out of curiosity, why do you feel like you need root on your tablet? I rooted my transformer pre ICS and I never even ended up using anything that required root access.

adblock and titaniumbackup

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

I was raised on the dairy, Bitch!

Kreeblah posted:

So, uh, did you guys do anything special to get it to recognize that there's an update? I've got one at work, but it keeps telling me there's no update available for it.

I had to tell it to check, but then it found it.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

Secret Sweater posted:

adblock and titaniumbackup

Give AdAway a try instead of Adfree. It's open source and allows you to add your own filters if you find one they missed.

Personally, I root for AdAway, LBE Privacy Guard, Titanium Backup (not just for backup but also to clean out included bloatware), Tasker (technically doesn't require root), SetCPU, Chainfire 3D and sometimes custom roms/kernels if I'm bored and feel like flashing something over the top of whatever I'm using at the time.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.

Secret Sweater posted:

The battery is one of the more annoying aspects of my transformer. I shouldn't have to feel like I need to glue heatsinks to it to feel like I'm not in danger of burning my house down.

That's kinda odd. Mine has never gotten hot to the touch in any activity. Is this while charging? 3D gaming? Netflix streaming? I'm curious, that doesn't sound right.

Secret Sweater
Oct 17, 2005
dup
While charging. Anything over like 30 minutes of charging makes it go Fukushima Daiichi status and the outside of it has literally gotten too hot to touch before I unplug it.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Jethro posted:

Just had my first ICS system crash on my TF101, so that's fun. The best part is where it was stuck in a boot loop until I did a manual hard reset.

Yep, me too. Was sitting here watching TV and looked down at my Transformer. It was at the boot screen, then froze. I had to hold down the power button - it rebooted and seems to be working...for now.

Damnit Asus. Here we go with the Prime-like reboots. Sigh.

Secret Sweater
Oct 17, 2005
dup
Just finished installing ICS. A lot nicer for most stuff. Still hopelessly unresponsive for some things (multitask menu is still a laggy turd)

Overall pretty nice, but still has improvement required. If they fix -all- the UI lag poo poo I'll be a happy camper.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.

Secret Sweater posted:

While charging. Anything over like 30 minutes of charging makes it go Fukushima Daiichi status and the outside of it has literally gotten too hot to touch before I unplug it.

That shouldn't be happening. It might need service.

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

rotaryfun posted:

Pretty much the only root apps I use is SetCPU (give a little more power to play hidef mkv files) and volume+ (i can't hear poo poo)

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Secret Sweater posted:

My power brick gets nuclear, but the Transformer is just hot. Not untouchable though.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

hotsauce posted:

My power brick gets nuclear, but the Transformer is just hot. Not untouchable though.

Couple people have seriously attached heatsinks and solved their problems.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Jethro posted:

That happened to me too! Haven't noticed anything wrong apart from that though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Don Lapre posted:

Couple people have seriously attached heatsinks and solved their problems.

That's just loving terrible. Do people seriously think that is acceptable or something?