Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Commercial kitchens just cover the vats overnight, if that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Yes, it will be fine. In fact, I never do the whole "strain and refrigerate" thing because frankly it's too much of a pain in the rear end. Of course, I'll use the deep fryer for something every couple of days, and I'll run a strainer through if there's debris.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
I am making mushroom ketchup, New Orleans remoulade and one or two other condiments for a little pack for someone as a gift.

Would these things

be ok for storage? There is no cap. It is a standard plastic condiment container you'd find at a hot dog joint.

Would it be better off in mason jars?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

THE MACHO MAN posted:

I am making mushroom ketchup, New Orleans remoulade and one or two other condiments for a little pack for someone as a gift.

Would these things

be ok for storage? There is no cap. It is a standard plastic condiment container you'd find at a hot dog joint.

Would it be better off in mason jars?

I use those all the time. It's not pretty, but I just wrap plastic wrap over the top an bottom of it when I refrigerate it.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Why the bottom?

Also, they make squeeze bottles with caps, I bought a bunch at Ralph's

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:

Steve Yun posted:

Why the bottom?

Also, they make squeeze bottles with caps, I bought a bunch at Ralph's

Im guessing he meant top and bottom of the cap?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I just wrap it all the way around so it stays on.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Oh. To get it to stay on, put the plastic over the mouth (leave a decent margin on the edge) then screw the spout on. Then horrible dried poo poo doesn't accumulate in the top, because you can wash the top out while everything's still runny before you put it away.

AquaticIguana
Apr 29, 2009

I dabble in honky sorcery from time to time.
What's a good borscht recipe? I have a ton of beets want to do something besides roasting them.

cent0r
Feb 19, 2007
Excuse me if this has been asked before but this thread is loving huge:

Can somebody recommend a chefs knife that's reasonably cheap but can cut like a boss? I've been thinking of finally investing in a good knife. Cheers!

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

cent0r posted:

Can somebody recommend a chefs knife that's reasonably cheap but can cut like a boss? I've been thinking of finally investing in a good knife. Cheers!

Here you go!

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

cent0r posted:

Ricola recommended a great, cheap knife. Here are some quick knife care tips: 1) never use your knife on a really hard surface, like your marble countertop or a metal sheetpan, or heaven forbid, a glass cutting board. 2) Get a honing steel, learn to use it. Your knife edge will actually bend a little before it goes dull; honing (that fancy swish swish thing you see all the time in movies and tv) simply realigns the edge so your knife cuts better. 3) Try not to use a knife block; it usually ends up becoming dirty and moldy, making your knives dirty every time they go in one. Use a magnetic strip, or if you must use a block, make sure your knives are dry before you put them in. 4) Don't, for the love of god, put your knives in the dishwasher. It'll gently caress up both your knife and your dishwasher (well, it'll gently caress up your dishwasher much less than the knife, but still, bad idea). 5) A sharp knife is a safe knife. Dull knives require more pressure to cut, which can lead to bad accidents. Get a knife sharpener (but be careful and get goon recommendations before you pick one up; a bad sharpener can really gently caress your knife up) or get it professionally sharpened every few months.

Properly caring for a nice knife will make your kitchen time so much safer, easier, and enjoyable. Pick up that Victorinox Ricola recommended and have at it!

cent0r
Feb 19, 2007
Awesome, cheers guys. We've got an ordinary whetstone for sharpening our knives and a honing steel as well.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Is it just me or do cheaper knives resist rust better than high end knives? What's different in the steel recipe?

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002
Bandit at 6 'o clock - Pull my finger

Steve Yun posted:

Is it just me or do cheaper knives resist rust better than high end knives? What's different in the steel recipe?

Some high end knives use high carbon steel for its improved edge granting abilities, but they can stain or rust. High performance, high maintenance. The cheapest knives just use a lovely and soft stainless alloy, so while they wont rust, they will not hold an edge for anywhere as long and can't ever get quite as sharp an edge as good stainless or carbon steel due to the properties of the metal itself. The good stainless knives use a stainless alloy that can both resist rust and stains, as well as hold an edge.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I don't think anyone's reading the roux thread anymore so, I made this roux with the Alton Brown oven method.

Does that look right? I've never made roux before and have no way to judge.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

I don't think anyone's reading the roux thread anymore so, I made this roux with the Alton Brown oven method.

Does that look right? I've never made roux before and have no way to judge.

That kind of looks like you're spooning a poop out of a toilet.

edit: what kind are you trying to make? That's incredibly dark and will not have much thickening power compared to a white roux.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Feb 25, 2012

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I'm making gumbo, so I believe the darker the better for that.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

I'm making gumbo, so I believe the darker the better for that.

It looks fine for a brick/chocolate roux other than the whole poop thing.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

It's my first gumbo, so it will probably be lovely.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

pnumoman posted:

Ricola recommended a great, cheap knife. Here are some quick knife care tips: 1) never use your knife on a really hard surface, like your marble countertop or a metal sheetpan, or heaven forbid, a glass cutting board. 2) Get a honing steel, learn to use it. Your knife edge will actually bend a little before it goes dull; honing (that fancy swish swish thing you see all the time in movies and tv) simply realigns the edge so your knife cuts better. 3) Try not to use a knife block; it usually ends up becoming dirty and moldy, making your knives dirty every time they go in one. Use a magnetic strip, or if you must use a block, make sure your knives are dry before you put them in. 4) Don't, for the love of god, put your knives in the dishwasher. It'll gently caress up both your knife and your dishwasher (well, it'll gently caress up your dishwasher much less than the knife, but still, bad idea). 5) A sharp knife is a safe knife. Dull knives require more pressure to cut, which can lead to bad accidents. Get a knife sharpener (but be careful and get goon recommendations before you pick one up; a bad sharpener can really gently caress your knife up) or get it professionally sharpened every few months.

Properly caring for a nice knife will make your kitchen time so much safer, easier, and enjoyable. Pick up that Victorinox Ricola recommended and have at it!

Nice post, thank you. Questions:

Is there a goon recommendation for learning to use a honing steel well?

What about the knife blocks made of many thin plastic rods? I ask because they're washable so that bullet's dodged, but I'm wondering if there's any unique downside to those other than aesthetic dislike. A magnetic strip isn't doable in my situation.

What does a dishwasher do that's bad for a knife (assuming it's isolated rather than hitting stuff)?

Who the gently caress invented the glass cutting board? CutCo?

I am interested in the goon recommendations for a knife sharpener, and seconding that a sharp knife is a safe knife. I think this can't be overstressed.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Splizwarf posted:

I am interested in the goon recommendations for a knife sharpener, and seconding that a sharp knife is a safe knife. I think this can't be overstressed.

I have this stone and it is awesome:
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/bester1200.html

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.
Does anyone know anything about halogen ovens? I saw one of them in a store, but I'm finding it surprisingly hard to find decent (non-promotional) information about them. Are they just a dumb gimmick, or can you legitimately prepare most of your meals with them? What kinds of food can they cook?

I'm pretty much garbage at cooking, but the idea of low-effort food preparation that's still a step up from "throw instant noodles in microwave" is appealing. Does anyone here use these things?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Ashenai posted:

Does anyone know anything about halogen ovens? I saw one of them in a store, but I'm finding it surprisingly hard to find decent (non-promotional) information about them. Are they just a dumb gimmick, or can you legitimately prepare most of your meals with them? What kinds of food can they cook?

I'm pretty much garbage at cooking, but the idea of low-effort food preparation that's still a step up from "throw instant noodles in microwave" is appealing. Does anyone here use these things?

quote:

Converts electrical energy into intense heat. Seals juices and enhances natural flavor. Twice the flavor in half the time. Moves air around speeding up cooking time and cooks food evenly from all sides.

The Flavorwave Oven® miracle is a breakthrough that turbo cooks all your favorite foods up to three times faster, with no added fat or your money back.

You can even cook frozen solid foods right out of the freezer! Cook mouth watering turkey in 20 minutes rather than 90 minutes, cook Lasagna in 15 minutes instead of an hour, and you can even bake delicious cinnamon buns in just minutes. Whether your food is fresh or frozen, you can bake, broil, roast, toast, sear, brown, barbecue, steam, reheat, and more, faster than ever before.

The Flavorwave Oven® secret is the combined use of halogen heat, infrared waves, and convection cooking, so food is cooked faster and juicier. Fats and oils are removed and food is always cooked to perfection. With Flavorwave Oven® cooking, you could lose weight while enjoying all your favorite foods.

Best of all, Flavorwave Oven® clean up is a breeze - Add warm water, a bit of detergent and set it to self-clean or simply place in the dish washer. Either way your job is done.

Set it to cook and your off the hook! Juicy vegetables, mouth-watering steaks, savory chicken and grilled seafood have never been easier and tastier. Plus it’s perfect for Christmas time when you need the extra oven space just take it your friends or relatives!

Every part of this sounds like bullshit. Get a pressure cooker if you want no-effort, superfast awesomethings.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

The halogen lamp ovens are dumb. It's basically tossing your food under one of the heat lamps you see at lovely buffets.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

Splizwarf posted:

Nice post, thank you. Questions:

Is there a goon recommendation for learning to use a honing steel well?

What about the knife blocks made of many thin plastic rods? I ask because they're washable so that bullet's dodged, but I'm wondering if there's any unique downside to those other than aesthetic dislike. A magnetic strip isn't doable in my situation.

What does a dishwasher do that's bad for a knife (assuming it's isolated rather than hitting stuff)?

Who the gently caress invented the glass cutting board? CutCo?

Dunno what to tell you about the honing steel; my cousin taught me, and he learned at culinary school, so I don't have a video or anything. But it's not that difficult; just think you're making steel shavings of the honing steel, and do it for both sides. As long as you keep a very shallow angle, you should be fine. Just don't do a Gordon Ramsay-esque rapid fire honing until you're confident about the angle required for your knife and you've practiced alot.

If the knife block is washable and breathable, it should be fine. Just remember to wash it often.

It's most the agitation knocking the knife around, so you ruin the blade as it hits against the racks, and at the same time, it makes cuts in the plastic coating so your racks start to rust. It's not so much the knife rattling around and hitting the plates as it is the racks themselves. So you definitely should not put knives in dishwashers.

And gently caress Cutco.

Oh, and I go get my knives sharpened, so I have no recommendations for sharpeners. Stones like the one gravity recommended are great, but read up on the process and follow the directions! It's not too difficult, but take the time to be a little spergy about the angle with regards to the knife you are sharpening, and don't ignore the lube requirements for whatever stone you use.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
"The dome breaks in less than one year. Not worth it and they will not replace it
piece of poo poo" - someone on youtube talking about the FlavorWave

Also, there are zillions of videos on youtube on how to use a honing steel

LuckyDaemon
Jan 14, 2006

Lower your standards.
This means dating fat girls because you can't do better.
Does anyone know when the old chili thread was posted? I've been trying to find it in the archives but with no luck. I have a monstrosity nonpurist recipe posted there that I really need to find.

Windyblade
Oct 17, 2005

I hope we're still friends after I taser you.
I actually happened to have it bookmarked: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3261214&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Here are the two I've got bookmarked:

Jerkstore's thread

Dunkman's thread

Edit: :argh: Damnit!

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Ashenai posted:

Early concept design for the flavorwave:

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
^^^^^ Seems about right

Does anyone have a good recipe for Brat buns/sausage rolls?

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I'm making Oeufs a la neige for a dinner party tonight. I'm going to chill the crème anglais after I make it, but how long can the ouefs meringue hold up? If I finish the meringues right before I plate dinner will there be a loss in quality if I leave them sitting out for dessert?

edit: Turned out great. I didn't realize the meringue was so stable after the poaching. It was really the first time I had worked with egg foam without then folding it in to lighten a batter or something so it was really fun and my guests had a great time with such an "interesting" dish--you don't really know what it is supposed to taste like until you try it.

Hed fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Feb 26, 2012

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

I don't do steak much.

1.5" filet mignon, on cast iron. Pre-heat pan on stove, pre-heat oven to 450. Sear on stove, oven for ~3min a side.

Sound good?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

with tenderloin, I wouldn't even bother tossing it in the oven. Just a minute on each side to get a good sear then off to a plate to rest. I do love a really rare tenderloin though.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

pnumoman posted:

If the knife block is washable and breathable, it should be fine. Just remember to wash it often.
What are you doing to your knife block that it needs washing at all, much less needing it often?

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

SubG posted:

What are you doing to your knife block that it needs washing at all, much less needing it often?

I don't use a knife block, but I find that tons of people that do just slot in wet knives or poorly dried knives which leads to mold. I figure it's best to give advice assuming people are lazy. Plus, it can't hurt to wash off the dust every so often.

Serendipitaet
Apr 19, 2009
I'm trying to clean the metal grease filters in my kitchen's vent hood. It's a student house so I assume I'm the first person trying to do that in a couple of years.

The things are completely gummed up. I put them in the dishwasher and that seemed to help a bit, but there's still a lot of gummed up grease.

What could help? Oven spray? Soaking them in detergent for a day or so?

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Serendipitaet posted:

I'm trying to clean the metal grease filters in my kitchen's vent hood. It's a student house so I assume I'm the first person trying to do that in a couple of years.

The things are completely gummed up. I put them in the dishwasher and that seemed to help a bit, but there's still a lot of gummed up grease.

What could help? Oven spray? Soaking them in detergent for a day or so?

Oven cleaner. The kind you don't have to turn the oven on for. Let it set overnight, and the grease will wipe off, as if by magic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Econosaurus
Sep 22, 2008

Successfully predicted nine of the last five recessions

If I want to make vegetable soup do I just throw a bunch of veggies in water? What spices/how much is good to toss in? Do I need to get some kind of chicken or beef broth as a base?

Edit: I also came across a bag of dried red thai chilies. Can I use them in recipes that want regular red thai chilies or will they not work well?

Edit2: Also any good rice and lentil recipes?

Econosaurus fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Feb 26, 2012