Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

BisonDollah posted:

31. Rebel Without a Cause (1955, Nicolas Ray)
It's the man Brando on a motorbike and wearing a gay hat, that's about all I know about it.

That's The Wild One. This is Rebel Without a Cause:

Apocalypto was drat good. It's gorgeous and thrilling, and the characters are extremely well-written. They're accessible without being anachronistic, and much of their development comes on the move, which is just so loving impressive. Gibson managed to revive a lost culture within the confines of a forgotten genre. Would love to see more chase films, but would also love to see more films set in the Mayan Empire. I guess this didn't open floodgates, but maybe someone'll take the inspiration and make a movie about the day-to-day of Mayan life.

Zogo, In the Heat of the Night for you.

New list:

The Whole Shootin' Match This is another one of those ones that I'm really intrigued by but somehow am never in the mood for.

The Darjeeling Limited I have never enjoyed a Wes Anderson movie, but I feel obligated to watch them.

Deep Red Two hour version or hour and a half version?

Senso Always up for a melodrama.

Man's Castle Borzage crazy.

My Brother's Wedding So there's a director's cut that's like a half hour shorter? Which should I see?

Ils or The Strangers Hear good stuff about these two, but French extremism turns me off.

new: Rumble Fish I liked The Outsiders, I guess?

Montenegro or Sweet Movie I loved WR and the Eclipse set, but I've avoided Sweet Movie because I heard it sucks and Montenegro because the poster is crap.

Szerelem This looks fantastic, but somehow I can't get myself to sit down for it.

Finished from this thread:
Au Hasard Balthazar (8/10), In the Mood for Love (8.5/10), La Dolce Vita (6.5/10), Anatomy of Murder (9/10), The Grand Illusion (9/10), Ben-Hur (8.5/10), Gone with the Wind (9/10), Black Orpheus (8/10), The Departed (4/10), Midnight Cowboy (5/10), The Red Shoes (9.5/10), Harvey (8.5/10), M. Hulot's Holiday (7.5/10), Trouble in Paradise (8/10), Ugetsu Monogatari (8/10), All That Heaven Allows (9.5/10), Blow-Up (8/10), If... (8/10), The Bad & The Beautiful (7.5/10). Autumn Sonata (9/10), Harold and Maude (3.5/10), L'Atalante (8/10), Anticipation of the Night (8.5/10), Cleo from 5 to 7 (8/10), Wavelength (7/10), Saddle the Wind (7/10), Partie de campagne (7.5/10), My Neighbor Totoro (7/10), Shadows (8/10), Odd Man Out (8/10), Don't Look Now (8/10), Dead Ringers (7.5/10), Written on the Wind (8.5/10), My Winnipeg (8/10), On Dangerous Ground (8.5/10), The King of Comedy (8.5/10), Berlin Express (7/10), The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (8.5/10), 3 Women (8.5/10). Harakiri (9.5/10), Zelig (7.5/10), Veronika Voss (7.5/10), Late Spring (8/10), Soldier of Orange (7/10), Vivre Sa Vie (8.5/10), The American Friend (7.5/10), The Endless Sumer (7.5/10), Yesterday Girl (7.5/10), Battleground (8/10), Two-Lane Blacktop (8/10), Chimes at Midnight (9/10), Trash Humpers (6/10), The Docks of New York (9/10), The Fallen Idol (9/10), Fires on the Plain (9/10), Tomorrow I'll Wake Up and Scald Myself with Tea (7.5/10), The Americanization of Emily (8.5/10), I Am a Fugitive from a Chain Gang (8/10), The Mirror (8.5/10), The Thin Man (8.5/10), Danger: Diabolik (7.5/10), Sweet Sweetback's Baadasssss Song (7.5/10), Black God White Devil (8/10), Little Fugitive (8/10), Drunken Angel (7.5/10), Funeral Parade of Roses (9/10), How to Train Your Dragon (8/10), Across 110th Street (7.5/10), The Hypothesis of the Stolen Painting (8/10), The Wind (8.5), Portrait of Jennie (7/10), Primer (8/10), To Catch a Thief (8/10), The Fantastic Mr. Fox (4/10), Getrud (8.5/10), Our Hospitality (9/10), Les Diaboliques (8/10), The Awful Truth (8/10), Duel in the Sun (6.5/10), A Guy Named Joe (6/10), Quiet City (5/10), People on Sunday (8.5/10), Nothing but a Man (8.5/10), Spring Summer Winter Fall and Spring (8/10), Comradship (7.5/10), Too Early, Too Late (4/10), Wooden Crosses (7.5/10), White Zombie (8.5/10), No Highway in the Sky (8/10), The Wanderers (8.5/10), My Son My Son What Have Ye Done (7/10), Our Town (9/10), The Winning of Barbara Worth (8/10), Red Riding 1974 (7/10), Grand Hotel (8/10), Rapt (8/10), The Champ (7/10), Red Beard (8.5/10), Rendez-vous d'Anna (8/10), Two Thousand Maniacs! (7/10), The Old Dark House (7.5/10), The Tarnished Angels (8/10), Ordet (9/10), Pigs and Battleships (8/10), The Naked City (8/10), The Ninth Configuration (4/10), Sling Blade (8.5/10), Le Trou (8.5/10), I Know Where I'm Going! (7.5/10), The Hangover (7.5/10), Body Heat (7.5/10), Night Moves (8.5/10), The Earrings of Madame De... (8/10), Toto, Peppino, e la Malafemmina (7/10), Short Cuts (9/10), The Mystery of Picasso (8/10), The Wisdom of Crocodiles (6.5/10), To Be or Not to Be (9/10), Barfly (5.5/10), Billy Liar (8/10), Hana-bi (7.5/10), The Fighter (8/10), Cop Land (8/10), Cairo Station (8.5/10), Beware of a Holy Whore (8/10) That Obscure Object of Desire (8.5/10), The Structure of Crystals (8.5/10), Farewell, My Lovely (8/10), The Blue Angel (7.5.10), Amadeus (8/10), A Time to Love and a Time to Die (8.5/10), Mike's Murder (8/10), I Saw the Devil (7/10), Advise and Consent (8/10), Little Man, What Now? (8.5/10), Outrage (7.5/10), Electra Glide in Blue (8/10), Gentlemen Prefer Blondes (8/10), The Man from Nowhere (7/10), Apocalypto (8/10)

Total: 140
Best: All That Heaven Allows
Worst: Harold and Maude

penismightier fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Feb 22, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

melvinthemopboy3
Sep 29, 2008

penismightier posted:

Deep Red Two hour version or hour and a half version?

Two and half version.

Alice was an excellent piece of surrealism. Svankmeijer's vision of characters like the White Rabbit and the Caterpillar were original and interesting. The Queen and King of Hearts were done fantastically as well. It seemed to really highlight the aspect of the story dealing with Alice's coming of age. There's a lot of menstruation and vaginal images in the film, especially near the beginning. I need to see more Svankmeijer.

3.5/4

Updated List!
1. Mandabi - I've enjoyed all the Ousmane Sembene I've watched, and this one's on instant queue.

2. Hour of the Wolf - Loved The Seventh Seal and Persona, so I think it's about time for some more Bergman.

3. Maniac! - I've heard this is a slasher classic, and I find Joe Spinell to be one of the creepiest actors ever.

4. Matinee - As a William Castle fan, this sounds right up my alley.

5. Butch Cassidy and the Sunday Kid - Watched The Sting a few months ago and really enjoyed it. Paul Newman and Robert Redford can't be beat!

6. Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer - Always been interested in this.

7. Alice Detour - I've heard that this is a film noir classic.

8. Barfly - I've enjoyed the Bukowski that I've read, and it's been sitting on my hard drive for a while.

9. 42nd Street - I haven't seen any Busby Berkeley, and this seems like a good place to start.

10. Sunrise - Looking to expand my knowledge of silent cinema, and I've loved every Murnau I've seen.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

melvinthemopboy3 posted:

10. Sunrise - Looking to expand my knowledge of silent cinema, and I've loved every Murnau I've seen.

Go for it.

Dersu Uzala was pretty good, a nice look into friendship between people from different backgrounds and cultures. At some points it gets a little to sappy, though not enough to get your eyes rolling as Maksim Munzuk sells really well his character. The gorgeous cinematography and beautiful landscape bring the expedition parts alive, could watch wild Siberia for hours if Kurosawa & Co. were behind the camera. The tundra scenes were probably the highlight of the film.

Only have Madadayo left to watch from Kurosawa now.

SHAME:

The Dead The last film John Huston made.

Samurai Rebellion Want to watch more Kobayashi before getting around to The Human Condition.

Leningrad Cowboys Go America Road trip!

The Man Who Knew Too Much Alfred Hitchcock remakes Alfred Hitchcock.

The Red Shoes Ballet with the Archers.

Hannah and Her Sisters Roger Ebert calls it the best movie Woody Allen ever made.

Short Cuts Not sure what this one is about other than it is an Altman film and lasts for three hours.

The Seven Year Itch The one with Marilyn Monroe and a subway grate.

Shoot the Piano Player Shoot him down!

All that Heaven Allows A favourite around these parts.

Have watched so far 69 movies: Barton Fink, Sweet Smell of Success, The 400 Blows, Rocky, Videodrome, Charade, The Double Life of Veronique, Ace in the Hole, Easy Rider, Dark City, Gosford Park, Seven, Hard Boiled, Mystic River, The Magnificent Ambersons, Midnight Cowboy, A Serious Man, A Hard Day's Night, Manhattan, Bram Stoker's Dracula, Hamlet, The Curse of the Were-Rabbit, The New World, Carlos, Blood Simple, Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me, Gangs of New York, The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, Burn After Reading, Mesrine:Killer Instinct, Mesrine: Public Enemy nrº1, The Enigma of Kaspar Hauser, Wild Strawberries, Repulsion, The Long Good Friday, Island of Lost Souls, A Matter of Life and Death, Peeping Tom, Beauty and the Beast, Zodiac, After Hours, Nights of Cabiria, The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, The Man Who Wasn't There, Encounters at the End of the World, The Cameraman, Hard Eight, The Purple Rose of Cairo, My Darling Clementine, The Virgin Spring, Dodes'ka-den, The Girl Who Played with Fire, The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest, Chimes at Midnight, Miller's Crossing, Wild at Heart, Hausu, Letter from an Unknown Woman, Shame, Pather Panchali, Aparajito, World of Apu, Cobra Verde, Richard III, L'Âge d'or, The Outlaw Josey Wales, The Age of Innocence, Mr. Hulot's Holiday, Dersu Uzala.

Brian Fellows
May 29, 2003
I'm Brian Fellows
Are you kidding me? Watch Samurai Rebellion. TENSE.

Dial M For Murder is classic Hitchcock, which is great. Reminiscent of Rope for obvious reasons, but this was fleshed out quite a bit more so it didn't feel like a long episode of Alfred Hitchcock presents. I love how tense some scenes get (the original plot the movie revolves around, the telling entry into the apartment to end the film) despite the seemingly cheery disposition of the film. Again, stock Hitchcock, but that's not a bad thing.

1. The Truman Show- I'm always surprised when I see how highly rated this is. I always like Jim Carey so it sounds worth watching at least.

2. Raising Arizona- Will it be the Nicholas Cage I love or the one I hate?

3. Pather Panchali- Are you kidding me, this has been on Youtube this whole time? Pick this movie.

4. The Last Picture Show- Working my way through America Lost and Found set. Not loving the movies so much but I am far more impressed with Jack Nicholson than I was before

5. Before the Devil Knows You're Dead- MODERN Lumet.

6. Giant- James Dean movie I haven't seen.

7. Gomorrah- Italian crime movie that's apparently looking good.

8. Kiss Me Deadly- Criterion noir of some sort.

9. Made in USA- Godard. You know, I may have seen this one, I just get it confused with a couple of other misc. Godards laying around. I get a free "pick something else on my list" if I start watching and have already seen it.

10. Ride with the Devil- No idea.

Watched (this time): The Lady Eve

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Deep Red had a lame story, poo poo acting, and was like a sold hour too long. It is also loving STONE COLD GORGEOUS. Oh my god, loving sumptuous. Totally rewarding as a purely visual experience. A lot of the camerawork reminds me of Fellini. The Goblin score was great, too, but their Dawn of the Dead work is better.

Brian Fellows, Raising Arizona is one of very few Cage roles I really like. Let's see what you make of it.

New list:

The Whole Shootin' Match This is another one of those ones that I'm really intrigued by but somehow am never in the mood for.

The Darjeeling Limited I have never enjoyed a Wes Anderson movie, but I feel obligated to watch them.

new: The Last Emperor Long.

Senso Always up for a melodrama.

Man's Castle Borzage crazy.

My Brother's Wedding So there's a director's cut that's like a half hour shorter? Which should I see?

Ils or The Strangers Hear good stuff about these two, but French extremism turns me off.

Rumble Fish I liked The Outsiders, I guess?

Montenegro or Sweet Movie I loved WR and the Eclipse set, but I've avoided Sweet Movie because I heard it sucks and Montenegro because the poster is crap.

Szerelem This looks fantastic, but somehow I can't get myself to sit down for it.

Finished from this thread:
Au Hasard Balthazar (8/10), In the Mood for Love (8.5/10), La Dolce Vita (6.5/10), Anatomy of Murder (9/10), The Grand Illusion (9/10), Ben-Hur (8.5/10), Gone with the Wind (9/10), Black Orpheus (8/10), The Departed (4/10), Midnight Cowboy (5/10), The Red Shoes (9.5/10), Harvey (8.5/10), M. Hulot's Holiday (7.5/10), Trouble in Paradise (8/10), Ugetsu Monogatari (8/10), All That Heaven Allows (9.5/10), Blow-Up (8/10), If... (8/10), The Bad & The Beautiful (7.5/10). Autumn Sonata (9/10), Harold and Maude (3.5/10), L'Atalante (8/10), Anticipation of the Night (8.5/10), Cleo from 5 to 7 (8/10), Wavelength (7/10), Saddle the Wind (7/10), Partie de campagne (7.5/10), My Neighbor Totoro (7/10), Shadows (8/10), Odd Man Out (8/10), Don't Look Now (8/10), Dead Ringers (7.5/10), Written on the Wind (8.5/10), My Winnipeg (8/10), On Dangerous Ground (8.5/10), The King of Comedy (8.5/10), Berlin Express (7/10), The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (8.5/10), 3 Women (8.5/10). Harakiri (9.5/10), Zelig (7.5/10), Veronika Voss (7.5/10), Late Spring (8/10), Soldier of Orange (7/10), Vivre Sa Vie (8.5/10), The American Friend (7.5/10), The Endless Sumer (7.5/10), Yesterday Girl (7.5/10), Battleground (8/10), Two-Lane Blacktop (8/10), Chimes at Midnight (9/10), Trash Humpers (6/10), The Docks of New York (9/10), The Fallen Idol (9/10), Fires on the Plain (9/10), Tomorrow I'll Wake Up and Scald Myself with Tea (7.5/10), The Americanization of Emily (8.5/10), I Am a Fugitive from a Chain Gang (8/10), The Mirror (8.5/10), The Thin Man (8.5/10), Danger: Diabolik (7.5/10), Sweet Sweetback's Baadasssss Song (7.5/10), Black God White Devil (8/10), Little Fugitive (8/10), Drunken Angel (7.5/10), Funeral Parade of Roses (9/10), How to Train Your Dragon (8/10), Across 110th Street (7.5/10), The Hypothesis of the Stolen Painting (8/10), The Wind (8.5), Portrait of Jennie (7/10), Primer (8/10), To Catch a Thief (8/10), The Fantastic Mr. Fox (4/10), Getrud (8.5/10), Our Hospitality (9/10), Les Diaboliques (8/10), The Awful Truth (8/10), Duel in the Sun (6.5/10), A Guy Named Joe (6/10), Quiet City (5/10), People on Sunday (8.5/10), Nothing but a Man (8.5/10), Spring Summer Winter Fall and Spring (8/10), Comradship (7.5/10), Too Early, Too Late (4/10), Wooden Crosses (7.5/10), White Zombie (8.5/10), No Highway in the Sky (8/10), The Wanderers (8.5/10), My Son My Son What Have Ye Done (7/10), Our Town (9/10), The Winning of Barbara Worth (8/10), Red Riding 1974 (7/10), Grand Hotel (8/10), Rapt (8/10), The Champ (7/10), Red Beard (8.5/10), Rendez-vous d'Anna (8/10), Two Thousand Maniacs! (7/10), The Old Dark House (7.5/10), The Tarnished Angels (8/10), Ordet (9/10), Pigs and Battleships (8/10), The Naked City (8/10), The Ninth Configuration (4/10), Sling Blade (8.5/10), Le Trou (8.5/10), I Know Where I'm Going! (7.5/10), The Hangover (7.5/10), Body Heat (7.5/10), Night Moves (8.5/10), The Earrings of Madame De... (8/10), Toto, Peppino, e la Malafemmina (7/10), Short Cuts (9/10), The Mystery of Picasso (8/10), The Wisdom of Crocodiles (6.5/10), To Be or Not to Be (9/10), Barfly (5.5/10), Billy Liar (8/10), Hana-bi (7.5/10), The Fighter (8/10), Cop Land (8/10), Cairo Station (8.5/10), Beware of a Holy Whore (8/10) That Obscure Object of Desire (8.5/10), The Structure of Crystals (8.5/10), Farewell, My Lovely (8/10), The Blue Angel (7.5.10), Amadeus (8/10), A Time to Love and a Time to Die (8.5/10), Mike's Murder (8/10), I Saw the Devil (7/10), Advise and Consent (8/10), Little Man, What Now? (8.5/10), Outrage (7.5/10), Electra Glide in Blue (8/10), Gentlemen Prefer Blondes (8/10), The Man from Nowhere (7/10), Apocalypto (8/10), Deep Red (8/10)

Total: 141
Best: All That Heaven Allows
Worst: Harold and Maude

penismightier fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Feb 23, 2012

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I'm waiting patiently for you to hate something more than Harold and Maude.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I'm waiting patiently for you to hate something more than Harold and Maude.

I dunno man. I really hate Harold and Maude.

I'm interested to see when All That Heaven Allows gets knocked off.

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009

penismightier posted:

PM, you get to watch Darjeeling Limited, since it was the only one on your list I've actually seen besides The Strangers. The only thing I remember about The Strangers is the Joanna Newsom song and I'll be damned if her music shouldn't be used in more horror movies.

My list of things I've been meaning to watch but haven't gotten around to:

1. Straw Dogs

2. Poltergeist

3. Texas Chainsaw Massacre

4. Rolling Thunder

5. Southern Comfort

6. Tree of Life, Thin Red Line

7. The Rapture (1991) - Been meaning to watch this for probably 8 years or so :/

8. Repulsion, Rosemary's Baby

9. Maniac Cop

10. The Third Man

My first post in this thread but I figured its time to get off my rear end and stop watching 80s slashers.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

foodfight posted:

10. The Third Man

It's a classic.

Samurai Rebellion starts off pretty slowly(Actually the whole film is slow), but I found the family drama and the social aspect of the film quite interesting, kinda forgot it was a film about samurais till the duels started. It's drenched in heavy melodrama and a couple of times it seems to be repeating scenes and points, but it's a pretty good emotional journey and on the later parts of the film, quite tense. Mifune and Nakadai are great as usual(Nakadai has the worst agents, he always loses in duels to Mifune.) and there's some lovely B&W composition to fill the eye. Not as strong as Harakiri, but a rewarding viewing nonetheless.

SHAME:

Hannah and Her Sisters Roger Ebert calls it the best movie Woody Allen ever made.

Short Cuts Not sure what this one is about other than it is an Altman film and lasts for three hours.

Shoot the Piano Player Shoot him down!

The Wages of Fear Something about nitroglycerin.

Have watched so far 70 movies: Barton Fink, Sweet Smell of Success, The 400 Blows, Rocky, Videodrome, Charade, The Double Life of Veronique, Ace in the Hole, Easy Rider, Dark City, Gosford Park, Seven, Hard Boiled, Mystic River, The Magnificent Ambersons, Midnight Cowboy, A Serious Man, A Hard Day's Night, Manhattan, Bram Stoker's Dracula, Hamlet, The Curse of the Were-Rabbit, The New World, Carlos, Blood Simple, Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me, Gangs of New York, The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, Burn After Reading, Mesrine:Killer Instinct, Mesrine: Public Enemy nrº1, The Enigma of Kaspar Hauser, Wild Strawberries, Repulsion, The Long Good Friday, Island of Lost Souls, A Matter of Life and Death, Peeping Tom, Beauty and the Beast, Zodiac, After Hours, Nights of Cabiria, The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, The Man Who Wasn't There, Encounters at the End of the World, The Cameraman, Hard Eight, The Purple Rose of Cairo, My Darling Clementine, The Virgin Spring, Dodes'ka-den, The Girl Who Played with Fire, The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest, Chimes at Midnight, Miller's Crossing, Wild at Heart, Hausu, Letter from an Unknown Woman, Shame, Pather Panchali, Aparajito, World of Apu, Cobra Verde, Richard III, L'Âge d'or, The Outlaw Josey Wales, The Age of Innocence, Mr. Hulot's Holiday, Dersu Uzala, Samurai Rebellion.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut
My calculator doesn't like pianos. I asked it for a random number, and it says you should Shoot the Piano Player.

Rocky is not quite what I was expecting. It's not so much a boxing movie as a movie about a guy who is a boxer. Most of the movie focused on life in his working class neighborhood, and those scenes were alive. All the major characters were well-developed, and while they were all flawed (Mick and Paulie both tried to ride Rocky's coattails but didn't do much for him earlier), they also had a humanity that you could believe. I also liked Creed's portrayal as a man who was once a great fighter but had gone so long without a real challenge that he was now more businessman than athlete, until Rocky reminded him. In a sense, Rocky brought out the best in both himself and his challenger. I do have to say that I didn't find the actual boxing that convincing- it seemed obvious most of the time that they weren't really hitting each other. However, since the movie was more about characters than fighting, that's not enough to seriously hurt it.

Rating: 3.5/4

24. The Great Dictator- I think this Chaplin kid may be going somewhere. Maybe I should take a look at one of his movies.

26. Battleship Potemkin- I have no idea what this is about- is it Russian, I think? I don't know, but it's on so many best of all time lists that I figure I should put it on mine.

27. Gattaca- Another on the embarrassingly long "owned but not watched" list. This is sci-fi, I think having something to do when genetic engineering? I was thinking maybe it was a prison, but that's Attica. As you can see, I'm mostly blind on this one.

28. Sophie's Choice- I really have no idea what this is, but I've seen it referenced a lot lately. I'm not sure why, but I figure there must be a reason.

29. Gandhi- Bald Ben Kingsley takes on the British Empire. P.S. Ben Kingsley is British. Sure, why not.

30. Platoon- "Hey, dad, I made a Vietnam movie, too!" "That's nice, Charlie." "Ah, screw you! I'm gonna go snort coke off a hooker's rear end." Also the Green Goblin is in this.

36. My Dinner with Andre- This stars Wallace Shawn. I liked the movie where he kidnapped princesses with Andre, but he died in that one... I assume this is a prequel?

37. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid- The fall's gonna kill you, and something about the Bolivian Army :confused: in the end. That's all I know about this one. William Goldman talked about writing this in the introduction to Princess Bride- sounded good.

38. Easy Rider- I think this is about Jack Nicholson getting high? Well, I know it's the forefront of the American New Wave/Indie movement, so I'm sure it's worth seeing.

40. Predator- Let's make this the 80's action movie slot (I've got a few more to take its place later). I saw bits of this once, including the ending, but not much.

Okay, tell me what I’m watching!

Shame relieved: The Godfather: 3.5/4, The Godfather Part II: 4/4, Taxi Driver: 4/4, Casablanca: 4/4, Duck Soup: 2/4, Pulp Fiction: 4/4, Barton Fink: 3.5/4, Annie Hall:3/4, Rashomon: 4/4, Blade Runner: 3.5/4, Chinatown: 4/4, Nashville: 3.5/4, Goodfellas: 4/4, The Seven Samurai: 4/4, Superman: 2/4, The Exorcist: 3/4, A Face in the Crowd: 3.5/4, The Seventh Seal: 2.5/4, Treasure of the Sierra Madre: 3.5/4, Apocalypse Now: 4/4, 2001: A Space Odyssey: 2.5/4, The Deer Hunter: 3/4, Schindler's List: 4/4, The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari: 3/4, Young Frankenstein: 3.5/4, Yojimbo: 3.5/4, Brazil: 3.5/4, Hamlet: 4/4, The Aviator: 4/4, Rocky: 3.5/4

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Jurgan posted:

I do have to say that I didn't find the actual boxing that convincing- it seemed obvious most of the time that they weren't really hitting each other.

I don't believe it gets realistic until part 6.

Watch Gandhi.

In the Heat of the Night - This film is about clashing cultures amidst a murder mystery and the premise is pretty clever. A man is in town waiting at the train station while he's picked up for murder. This man happens to be a homicide detective.

I liked just about every scene between Gillespie and Virgil. A lot of these films that deal with social/racial/political issues become overly melodramatic and filled with caricatures but the motivations of these characters are believable. The racial aspects are overt but underneath the characters are somewhat self-serving and human.

This film could be a case study for a very, very long time about this period of history.

IMDb list:

new #145 Warrior - MMA Drama doesn't look too appealing or enticing. I did follow the UFC casually when it was first created back in the 90s but then they started adding gloves and other rules and I lost interest quickly. 2/23/12

#247 3 Idiots - Read some reviews but that's all. 1/17/12

#256 Before Sunrise - Relatively recent and I haven't even heard of it. 12/29/11

Academy Award for Best Picture:

1980 Ordinary People - Heard of it but haven't seen it. 2/1/12

1968 Oliver! - I'm a little familiar with the story. 2/7/12

1966 A Man for All Seasons - Know nothing about this one. 2/14/12

Procrastination list:

The Prowler - Heard this was an overlooked classic slasher film. Zito directed Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter (which is my favorite of the series). The poster is :waycool: too. 2/15/12

Less Than Zero - I saw some of this movie on TV when I was ~5 years old and now it's nearly 25 years later and it's been buried in my head all these years to watch the whole thing. 2/17/12

Pink Floyd The Wall - Another one that looks interesting. 2/20/12

About Schmidt - Heard this was worth seeing. 2/21/12

PS I noticed this is my 141st movie watched in this thread. Tied with penismightier. Movies we've both seen due to the thread:

In the Mood for Love
Anatomy of Murder
The Grand Illusion
Gone with the Wind
My Neighbor Totoro
Harakiri
How to Train Your Dragon
Les Diaboliques
Spring Summer Winter Fall and Spring

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Zogo posted:

#256 Before Sunrise - Relatively recent and I haven't even heard of it. 12/29/11

I'm picking this one, but only if you promise that no matter how you feel about it, you'll still watch the sequel, as it is both necessary and superior.

Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans (1927): Wow, talk about a full day! First your husband comes within inches of brutally murdering you, but then he repents by taking you out for the night of your life in the city! And as though his homicidal tendencies simply could not be quelled, he once again falls prey to his ire and tries to strangle his mistress. But, oh, you didn't drown! So it's cool, you'll live blissfully as the sun rises behind your house! Jokes aside, this is a marvelous picture, with a mind-bogglingly creative style that seems way ahead of its time. It's funny, delightful, and occasionally unintentionally amusing with regard to its ridiculous relationship dynamics. It's deservedly a stone-cold classic and easily one of the best silent movies I've ever seen. 90/100

Also watched this bad boy in the stupidly long interim:

Withnail and I (1987): I'm not sure I get the rage here. For the most part it feels rather emotionally dead, and a final connection at the film's resolution doesn't do a whole lot to make up for it. It's hard for me to even think of things to say about it; that's how cold it was for me. All the "jokes" were delivered so dryly that they were difficult to even appreciate. I guess Richard E. Grant was good? 60/100 (note: I learned a lot more about social class elements of the era after I wrote this, and it certainly makes it more interesting, though I still feel kinda blah about it.)

1. Three Colors: Blue: I've lollygagged around with these long enough.

2. The Color of Pomegranites: Not much of an idea of what to expect here, but a trusted friend of mine recommends it with the highest esteem.

3. The Man from Laramie: I wasn't really too high on the other two Mann/Stewart Westerns I've watched, but I'm willing to check this out.

4. Notorious: I may have seen this as a kid, but I remember nothing.

5. The Americanization of Emily: I want to get my Paddy on.

6. The Hidden Fortress: Kurosawa movies tend to put me in a nice glow after watching one of his movies, and I gather that this one is no different.

7. L'Atalante: Bona-fide French classic.

8. La Dolce Vita: Sweet Christ, this is long.

9. Harakiri: Is there anyone that doesn't really love this?

10. Red River: I'm pretty sure I've seen this, but I was probably 6 or 7 and don't remember a thing about it.

Watched - The Godfather Part II, City of God, Paths of Glory, North by Northwest, The Bridge on the River Kwai, Fanny and Alexander, 8 1/2, The Rules of the Game, His Girl Friday, The Wages of Fear, Rashomon, Stroszek, The French Connection, Singin' in the Rain, Cries and Whispers, Grand Illusion, Gaslight, Aliens, Wild Strawberries, Scenes from a Marriage, M, Tokyo Story, Blue Velvet, Nashville, The Great Dictator, Forbidden Planet, Satantango, The Apartment, Shane, Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans

Desiato
Mar 8, 2006

Thy next foe is...
Kull the Conqueror you get Harakiri, one of the few Samurai films that stacks up well against Kurosawa's.

Fanny and Alexander definitely ranks among Bergman's finest works. It took me a long while to track down the 5 1/2 hour miniseries version but it was worth it, I finished the last 4 hours in almost a single sitting this afternoon while completely entranced. I've never been able to fully comprehend every theme or facet of a Bergman movie and once again he starts with the tangible then slowly movies beyond reality. The plot begins firmly grounded and then it slowly begins weaving in elements of fantasy with an almost fairy tale like sensibility. Needless to say the script was excellent, I've often found Bergman's characters dry and hard to identify with but this time I enjoyed and was moved by every single character, even the bishop. Also the grand speeches and exposition that Bergman loves to insert were among some of the finest he has put into a film (and if anything that's what he's best at). Overall I enjoyed it a lot and am looking forward to watching it again soon.

LIST OF SHAME:
1.The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp: I adore Powell and Pressburger but I've only seen two of their films.

2.*NEW*The Conversation: When Coppola was at his best and I still haven't seen it.

3.Three Colors: White: Continuing the trilogy

4.Cul-de-sac: Wasn't the biggest fan of Repulsion, hoping to get a better feel for early Polanski.

5.Memories of a Murder: South Korea's almost always a hit.

6.Tokyo Twilight Have never seen an Ozu that I haven't loved.

7.The Filth and Fury: Documentary about the Sex Pistols, why not?

8.The Goddess: More Satyajit Ray.

9.Le Beau Serge: Considered the first film in the French Nouvelle Vague movement.

10.Y Tu Mama Tambien: Children of Men is awesome, time to finish off Alfonso Cuaron's films

Watched: Masculin Feminin, Les Diaboliques, The World of Apu, Stalag 17, Wings of Desire, Island of Lost Souls, Dogville, Wages of Fear, The Phantom Carriage, I am Cuba, Twilight Samurai, Andrei Rublev, Curse of the Jade Scorpion, Orpheus, Three Colors: Blue, Mean Streets, Fanny and Alexander

Desiato fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Feb 24, 2012

Atheistdeals.com
Aug 2, 2004

Desiato posted:

3.Three Colors: White: Continuing the trilogy

I like The Conversation a little bit more than White, but I also like Red a little bit more than The Conversation, so you get White.

Glengarry Glen Ross is a tour de force of sharp, profanity-laced dialogue delivered by some amazing actors. Jack Lemmon in particular is outstanding, and Baldwin is magnetic in his scene. I have no idea why this wasn't a big hit when it was originally released, this movie is fantastic.

1920s: The Last Laugh - Murnau won me over with Sunrise, I look forward to seeing more of his movies.

1930s: It Happened One Night - Might as well put another Capra film here.

1940s: The Best Years of Our Lives - This sounds pretty interesting, I suppose.

1950s: Rififi - Heist films are pretty cool.

1960s: Army of Shadows - All I know about this is that it's bleak. Really bleak, apparently.

1970s: Cries and Whispers - I haven't been emotionally destroyed by a movie in a while, maybe this can do it for me.

1980s: Time of the Gypsies - One of my highest PSIs on Criticker but I never really see it talked about much.

1990s: Glengarry Glen Ross Being John Malkovich - I pretty much love every other Charlie Kaufman film that I've seen, so I should really like this too.

2000s: The Pianist - Next on the IMDb top 250.

L'Atalante - Next highest on the They Shoot Pictures list.

Watched/Criticker Tier: The Seventh Seal 10, Moon 8, Barton Fink 10, The Thin Blue Line 9, Cool Hand Luke 9, Citizen Kane 10, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind 10, Rear Window 10, North by Northwest 9, Goodfellas 10, Casablanca 10, City Lights 8, Seven Samurai 10, Bicycle Thieves 9, Do the Right Thing 10, The Battle of Algiers 9, On the Waterfront 7, Wild Strawberries 10, The Trial 10, Adaptation 9, Unforgiven 10, Annie Hall 9, The 400 Blows 9, Diabolique 8, Mulholland Dr. 10, Dirty Harry 5, The 39 Steps 8, Aguirre: The Wrath of God 10, 8 1/2 9, Boogie Nights 9, A Streetcar Named Desire 7, Raiders of the Lost Ark 10, The General 9, Pickpocket 7, Pulp Fiction 10, Amadeus 10, Lawrence of Arabia 10, Eraserhead 8, The Lady Vanishes 8, The Wild Bunch 8, A Clockwork Orange 7, Platoon 7, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas 9, Ikiru 10, Jules and Jim 10, The Asphalt Jungle 8, M 9, The Thin Red Line 9, Dial M for Murder 9, The Sting 8, Once Upon a Time in the West 9, The Exterminating Angel 9, A Woman Under the Influence 10, Singin' in the Rain 9, Scenes From a Marriage 10, Badlands 8, City of God 10, The Gold Rush 7, The Maltese Falcon 9, The Conformist 9, The Shawshank Redemption 8, High and Low 10, It's a Wonderful Life 7, Days of Heaven 9, Le Samourai 6, The Night of the Hunter 10, Metropolis 10, The New World 10, Persona 8, Manhattan 9, Some Like It Hot 7, The Rules of the Game 10, Nights of Cabiria 7, The Graduate 10, Pather Panchali 10, Punch-Drunk Love 9, Grand Illusion 8, The Hustler 8, The Great Escape 8, Close Encounters of the Third Kind 7, Memento 9, Forbidden Planet 7, Stagecoach 7, The Usual Suspects 6, The Big Sleep 8, Modern Times 7, Tokyo Story 9, Seven 9, The Searchers 6, The Battleship Potemkin 6, Videodrome 8, Léon: The Professional 6, American History X 4, The Grapes of Wrath 7, The Wages of Fear 9, Bonnie and Clyde 6, Mean Streets 8, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington 8, American Beauty 6, The Great Dictator 7, Children of Paradise 10, La Dolce Vita 4, The Deer Hunter 8, Ben-Hur 5, Magnolia 9, Rushmore 10, MASH 4, Spirited Away 8, The Cranes Are Flying 9, Monty Python and the Holy Grail 7, Sunrise 9, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid 6, The Lives of Others 8, Casino 8, Naked 1, Glengarry Glen Ross 9 (Total: 116)

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Atheistdeals.com posted:

1950s: Rififi - Heist films are pretty cool.

This one is indeed pretty cool.

Shoot the Piano Player is a delightful tragicomedy and a clever pastiche of American romance and noir films of the 40's. The duel with the bar owner was brilliantly funny, it's so ridiculous and unreal yet makes total sense, considering the characters and the world around them. It clips along quite nicely, Aznavour gives a great performance, Truffaut uses a lot of inventive technique without indulging himself and it's overall a highly entertaining film.

SHAME:

Minority Report Never finished watching this one for some odd reason.

Have watched so far 71 movies: Barton Fink, Sweet Smell of Success, The 400 Blows, Rocky, Videodrome, Charade, The Double Life of Veronique, Ace in the Hole, Easy Rider, Dark City, Gosford Park, Seven, Hard Boiled, Mystic River, The Magnificent Ambersons, Midnight Cowboy, A Serious Man, A Hard Day's Night, Manhattan, Bram Stoker's Dracula, Hamlet, The Curse of the Were-Rabbit, The New World, Carlos, Blood Simple, Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me, Gangs of New York, The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, Burn After Reading, Mesrine:Killer Instinct, Mesrine: Public Enemy nrº1, The Enigma of Kaspar Hauser, Wild Strawberries, Repulsion, The Long Good Friday, Island of Lost Souls, A Matter of Life and Death, Peeping Tom, Beauty and the Beast, Zodiac, After Hours, Nights of Cabiria, The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, The Man Who Wasn't There, Encounters at the End of the World, The Cameraman, Hard Eight, The Purple Rose of Cairo, My Darling Clementine, The Virgin Spring, Dodes'ka-den, The Girl Who Played with Fire, The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest, Chimes at Midnight, Miller's Crossing, Wild at Heart, Hausu, Letter from an Unknown Woman, Shame, Pather Panchali, Aparajito, World of Apu, Cobra Verde, Richard III, L'Âge d'or, The Outlaw Josey Wales, The Age of Innocence, Mr. Hulot's Holiday, Dersu Uzala, Samurai Rebellion, Shoot the Piano Player.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Electronico6 posted:

This one by Powell & Pressburger.

a radii hike posted:

Ace in the Hole - Vicious Billy Wilder satire? Sign me up!
This was a pretty accurate assessment of the picture. It was also cruel, caustic, funny, bitter, witty, punishing (that loving DRILL), tragic, all those kinds of adjectives. It makes a really nice companion film to Network in that while both films were considered outrageous in their time, they have now become matter-of-fact. Kirk Douglas is gripping as the amoral newspaper reporter Charles Tatum who finds a great story about a man trapped in a tunnel (essentially functioning as Tatum's moral barometer) and wants to extend it as long as possible. His insatiable greed for fortune & noteriety begins to infect everyone around him: the trapped man's callous wife (Tatum's mirror of his darkest impulses), a corrupt sheriff, a weak-willed contractor, indeed the whole of America as more and more gather to cheer on this spectacle. Oh, Tatum will realize when he's gone too far, but it's gonna be too loving late to do anything productive by that point.

All That Heaven Allows - I love what I've seen of Fassbinder, and he loved Sirk, so I wanna see what that's all about.

An Autumn Afternoon - I've burned through nearly all of the single Ozu releases, as well as the Silent and Late Ozu boxsets. Let's finish up what I have (until I inevitably buy that combo-pack of The Only Son/There Was a Father).

Cutter's Way - A critic I enjoy reading said this was his favorite film of the 80s. I probably won't agree with him, but it's obscurity intrigues me and hey, Jeff Bridges.

La Dolce Vita - I guess this is one of the two big Fellinis I have to see, so I'll just put this here.

The Magnificent Ambersons - Welles is always worth a watch, even if compromised.
My Dinner with Andre - I blind-bought this before the Community episode. :smug:
Persona - Maybe I should've seen this before 3 Women :confused:

Rashomon - I really haven't seen much of major Kurosawa.

The Thin Red Line - I'll have technically seen all of Malick's features once I see this.

Wooden Crosses - I blind-bought the Bernard Eclipse set on the basis that this obscure French film about WWI was some kind of hidden gem. Now, I'll be motivated to see if this was true or not.

Shameless: Days of Heaven, McCabe & Mrs. Miller, Sansho the Bailiff, Ikiru, L'Avventura, 3 Women

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Wow, Bob, wow. Fire walk with me.

a radii hike posted:

Rashomon - I really haven't seen much of major Kurosawa.

Get on that, pronto.

While Black Moon isn't a chore it isn't an easy film to classify in terms of enjoyment. It was interesting, a step or two away from fascinating, and incomprehensible when judging solely on surface values. It works like a dream, full of non sequiturs and moments that seem real only with too many fantastical elements thrown in for it to be so. The themes of sexual discovery and corruption are evident (Even more so later when you consider the war at the beginning is being fought by men and women on opposite sides and it is certainly beautiful to look at. Animals are more verbal than the human characters, supposing that humans are themselves more animalistic than they'd normally care to admit. It's a film that seems to be a simple experiment, a deviation from the norm. I like in the essay included in the DVD booklet where Louis Malle is quoted as saying that any time a plot thread started to develop, he'd cut it. The lack of narrative structure is intentional but that doesn't mean it's a masterpiece. It's interesting with fleeting moments of intensity and brilliance but it doesn't hold together entirely.

Loved the unicorn.

LIST O SHAME:

1) The Last Detail - Swearing sailors sounds superb.

2) Five Easy Pieces - Going to keep watching the America Lost and Found Box Set.

3) Long Goodbye - Altman + Chandler = winning combo...right?

4) Manhattan Murder Mystery - More Allen because there's just so drat much.

5) The Sweet Hereafter - Third time the charm with Egoyan? I didn't like Speaking Parts at all and I only mildly liked Felicia's Journey.

6) Carlos - Will likely watch this in segments...don't have five hours to kill too often.

7) Mystery Train - Only Jarmusch I haven't seen.

8) The Apartment - Back with the IMDB list.

9) Haxan: Witchcraft Through the Ages - Silent doc about witchcraft. Been meaning to see this for years.

10) Stalker - I've seen and liked a couple Tarkovsky but keep hearing this one getting love.

SHAME BE GONE:Wild Strawberries, Sunset Blvd., The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, Our Man in Havana, Breathless, Phenomena, Withnail & I, 12 Angry Men, The Cranes Are Flying, Fitzcarraldo, Amadeus, Paths of Glory, Blow Out, Cronos, Hausu, City Lights, Easy Rider, The Lives of Others, Salo, In the Bedroom, The Killing of a Chinese Bookie, Cars, Brand Upon the Brain!, The Great Dictator, Double Indemnity, Point Blank, Cool Hand Luke, 127 Hours, Black Narcissus, Lawrence of Arabia, The Sting, A Woman is a Woman, Life of Brian, Last Picture Show, The Company of Wolves, Tree of Life, Life is Beautiful, Young Frankenstein, Cinema Paradiso, Some Like it Hot, Shotgun Stories, Singin' in the Rain, Precious, Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance, The Rules of the Game, Frost/Nixon, All About Eve, Bronson, The Searchers, Bicycle Thieves, American Graffiti, A Christmas Story, The Phantom Carriage, The Changeling, Repulsion, Kagemusha, Irreversible, The Virgin Spring, The Red Shoes, Deconstructing Harry, Metropolis, Che, The Island of Lost Souls, Revanche, Black Moon (TOTAL: 65)

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Bringing Up Baby was pretty good but not great. I think it was a little overshadowed by the purely sublime M. Hulot's Holiday, which I watched last night but Baby got a drew good laughs out of me. Certainly the plotting is entertainingly intricate and Katherine Hepburn is always wonderful but Grant didn't seem to be operating at the top of his game (he's way, way funnier in Arsenic and Old Lace) and there's a huge sag between the loss of Baby and everyone getting arrested. The visual effects used for the leopard are incredibly good, I didn't even notice there were any until they're being chased through the forest by the circus leopard (though there is one shot with a fake leopard that's really silly-looking). I don't really have any intention to return to this, though.

7/10

I also saw City Lights on a whim (we're test-driving Hulu Plus), and it's one of the more lovely silent films I've seen so far. Not my favorite Chaplin, that would go to Modern Times...maybe second-favorite. The boxing segment goes on a little long, it has the feel of an idea Chaplin had for a short and he wedged it into the film. It doesn't help that he ultimately loses, which makes the whole sequence sort of a plot cul-de-sac. And how beautiful is that last scene? Answer: really, really beautiful.

9/10

SHAAAAAAME

1) Au revoir les enfants - I watched like fifteen minutes of this and then turned it off. I don't remember why. It's good, apparently.

2) Hiroshima mon amour - I was perplexed by but really loved Last Year At Marienbad. I'm not really sure what this is about but it's the most interesting-looking movie next on TSPDT.

3) L'Atalante - I honestly don't know anything about this but man, number 14 on TSPDT must mean something.

4) I Know Where I'm Going! - gently caress me, I've rented this like four times and for some reason I never watch it, which is retarded because I love Powell and Pressburger.

5) Safety Last! - That's probably not a great idea, I hope Harold Lloyd has insurance.

6) Vivre sa vie - Replacing a new-wave with a new-wave, this is another meant-to-never-saw. Great that it's on Blu now. I think I skipped this one for A Woman Is A Woman when they were doing a Godard retrospective at SIFF.

7) Baraka - Put it on Netflix queue after seeing Koyaanisqatsi, never got it up to the top three because half of my dogged devotion to Koyetc is the Philip Glass score and the theme about industrialization. But apparently it's like mindblowingly cool or something I dunno.

8) Les Enfants du paradis - It's long and old and French and I hated Port of Shadows but gently caress it, bring on the poetic realism.

9) L'Avventura - I've only seen one Antonioni film and I didn't care for it, but here it is on the TSPDT list.

10) The Magic Flute - This has been in my Netflix since I was like 13. I love this opera and I love Ingmar Bergman.

Jules et Jim 6/10, Saving Private Ryan 9.5/10, Fitzcarraldo 9/10, The 39 Steps 7/10, Notorious 7/10, Run Lola Run 8/10, Downfall 7.5/10, The Searchers 7.5/10, Tokyo Story 7/10, Gone With The Wind 10/10, Touch Of Evil 9.5/10, Ikiru 7.5/10, The Apartment 7/10, Bicycle Thieves 7/10, Moon 7/10, The Color Purple 7.5/10. The French Connection9.5/10, The Leopard 8/10, Yojimbo 8.5/10, Sanjuro 8/10, Das Boot8.5/10, The Conformist 8/10, Breathless 9/10, Where The Wild Things Are7.5/10, Vertigo 9/10, Raging Bull 10/10, Ordet 7/10, City Of God 9/10, The Wages Of Fear 9/10, Aguirre, The Wrath Of God 9/10, The Mirror 9.5/10, Through A Glass Darkly 10/10, On The Waterfront 6/10, The Straight Story 9/10, Lawrence Of Arabia 8.5/10, Dial M For Murder, 8/10 Winter Light 10/10, The Silence 9/10, Badlands 8/10, The Wrong Man 7/10, In The Mood For Love 9.5/10, Secret Honor 10/10, Gosford Park 10/10, Viridiana 7.5/10, The Exterminating Angel 9/10, Seven Samurai 10/10, Rashomon 9/10, The Godfather: Part II 10/10, La Dolce Vita 10/10, The Princess Bride 9/10, Bringing Up Baby 7/10, City Lights 9/10 (total: 50!)

Ratedarg, I hope you have nuts for Stalker

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Bringing Up Baby was pretty good but not great. I think it was a little overshadowed by the purely sublime M. Hulot's Holiday, which I watched last night but Baby got a drew good laughs out of me. Certainly the plotting is entertainingly intricate and Katherine Hepburn is always wonderful but Grant didn't seem to be operating at the top of his game (he's way, way funnier in Arsenic and Old Lace) and there's a huge sag between the loss of Baby and everyone getting arrested. The visual effects used for the leopard are incredibly good, I didn't even notice there were any until they're being chased through the forest by the circus leopard (though there is one shot with a fake leopard that's really silly-looking). I don't really have any intention to return to this, though.

7/10
Aww, I was hoping you'd like it more. I always return to it, for the insane cast of characters up to and including GEORGE, GEORGE, GEORGE!! My favorite scene is probably the leopard on the roof of the psychiatrist's house. But Hulot is amazing, too. I love them both.

edit: oh heck yeah http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dTBdhmvjrQ

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
Magic Hate Ball, how about Baraka next?

Personally just finished The Warriors, found it HD on youtube.
Great film. Just really enjoyable. Did I ever get a surprise when I see an actor who looks pretty much EXACTLY like my fiancee:

Haha, I can't get over this, it's not even just the angle, he looks just like him, but my guy has a little cleft in his chin.
Anyway, back to the film.
Such a great flow, it was extremely well paced. Good characters and just enjoyable all together. I can't say there's too much to say about this film because it's really straight-forward but I definitely recommend it to anyone who hasn't seen it and wants a good kick back with popcorn kind of movie. Just the right amount of fight scenes, I bet if this film was remade today they'd go to much into it. Not knowing everything about every character was actually refreshing. Not a complicated movie by any means but it works.
8.5/10.

1.Taxi Driver- I've heard raves reviews about this movie but just haven't come across it. Sounds like it would be a good movie to curl up with one evening.

2. 2001:A space Odyssey- Same reason as the above.

3. The Warriors- I think this looks like a good movie, but just haven't gone out of my way to find it really.

4.Se7en- I used to be really squeamish so I couldn't handle this film, but I love thriller/horror now so I should be good.

54 40 or fuck fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Feb 25, 2012

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

fenix down posted:

Aww, I was hoping you'd like it more. I always return to it, for the insane cast of characters up to and including GEORGE, GEORGE, GEORGE!! My favorite scene is probably the leopard on the roof of the psychiatrist's house. But Hulot is amazing, too. I love them both.

I didn't hate it or anything, it just didn't knock me over like I expected it would, which is funny because Hulot had me on the floor. It's opposite day or something. I'd probably see it again in the theater, though, all good comedies explode with an audience.

Toriori posted:

Magic Hate Ball, how about Baraka next?

OH
MY
GOD
FINALLY

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Toriori posted:

1.Taxi Driver- I've heard raves reviews about this movie but just haven't come across it. Sounds like it would be a good movie to curl up with one evening.

Here ye go.

Stalker is excellent. It's slow but never dull. The exposition is subtle and forces you to take care in paying attention. Once the three men hit the "zone" things get weird and skin-crawly. The transition in colouration was expertly done and made sense in the context of the film. What really struck me about the horror/sci-fi elements in the zone is that this type of tale could be filmed in a remote location for a small budget. Tarkovsky relies on mood and foreboding instead of special effects and jump scares. There is a sense of dread and one of doubt following the three men as the film deals with themes of faith, morality and pride. Fantastic movie, and one that I will likely be telling all my friends to see.

LIST O SHAME:

2) Five Easy Pieces - Going to keep watching the America Lost and Found Box Set.

5) The Sweet Hereafter - Third time the charm with Egoyan? I didn't like Speaking Parts at all and I only mildly liked Felicia's Journey.

6) Carlos - Will likely watch this in segments...don't have five hours to kill too often.

9) Haxan: Witchcraft Through the Ages - Silent doc about witchcraft. Been meaning to see this for years.

10) Badlands - Malick and serial killers!

SHAME BE GONE:Wild Strawberries, Sunset Blvd., The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, Our Man in Havana, Breathless, Phenomena, Withnail & I, 12 Angry Men, The Cranes Are Flying, Fitzcarraldo, Amadeus, Paths of Glory, Blow Out, Cronos, Hausu, City Lights, Easy Rider, The Lives of Others, Salo, In the Bedroom, The Killing of a Chinese Bookie, Cars, Brand Upon the Brain!, The Great Dictator, Double Indemnity, Point Blank, Cool Hand Luke, 127 Hours, Black Narcissus, Lawrence of Arabia, The Sting, A Woman is a Woman, Life of Brian, Last Picture Show, The Company of Wolves, Tree of Life, Life is Beautiful, Young Frankenstein, Cinema Paradiso, Some Like it Hot, Shotgun Stories, Singin' in the Rain, Precious, Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance, The Rules of the Game, Frost/Nixon, All About Eve, Bronson, The Searchers, Bicycle Thieves, American Graffiti, A Christmas Story, The Phantom Carriage, The Changeling, Repulsion, Kagemusha, Irreversible, The Virgin Spring, The Red Shoes, Deconstructing Harry, Metropolis, Che, The Island of Lost Souls, Revanche, Black Moon, Stalker (TOTAL: 66)

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Ratedargh posted:

This one is quite fun.

I really liked the central Ballet performance in The Red Shoes, the gorgeous technicolor and directorial wizardry also help up making for the very dull acting, some poor melodrama, and a rather contrived and silly ending. I think I was expecting a bit more from it really.

SHAME:

Smiles of a Summer Night A comedy by Ingmar Bergman?

Have watched so far 72 movies: Barton Fink, Sweet Smell of Success, The 400 Blows, Rocky, Videodrome, Charade, The Double Life of Veronique, Ace in the Hole, Easy Rider, Dark City, Gosford Park, Seven, Hard Boiled, Mystic River, The Magnificent Ambersons, Midnight Cowboy, A Serious Man, A Hard Day's Night, Manhattan, Bram Stoker's Dracula, Hamlet, The Curse of the Were-Rabbit, The New World, Carlos, Blood Simple, Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me, Gangs of New York, The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, Burn After Reading, Mesrine:Killer Instinct, Mesrine: Public Enemy nrº1, The Enigma of Kaspar Hauser, Wild Strawberries, Repulsion, The Long Good Friday, Island of Lost Souls, A Matter of Life and Death, Peeping Tom, Beauty and the Beast, Zodiac, After Hours, Nights of Cabiria, The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, The Man Who Wasn't There, Encounters at the End of the World, The Cameraman, Hard Eight, The Purple Rose of Cairo, My Darling Clementine, The Virgin Spring, Dodes'ka-den, The Girl Who Played with Fire, The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest, Chimes at Midnight, Miller's Crossing, Wild at Heart, Hausu, Letter from an Unknown Woman, Shame, Pather Panchali, Aparajito, World of Apu, Cobra Verde, Richard III, L'Âge d'or, The Outlaw Josey Wales, The Age of Innocence, Mr. Hulot's Holiday, Dersu Uzala, Samurai Rebellion, Shoot the Piano Player, The Red Shoes.

Brian Fellows
May 29, 2003
I'm Brian Fellows
Wages of Fear. I didn't think I'd be interested by it, now it's one of my favorite movies. Very good.

Raising Arizona was hilarious and super witty, which is exactly what I'd expect from the Coen brothers. The escape scene (don't need to specify if you've seen the movie) is one of the funniest and awesomest things I've ever seen. Also really loved the Biker From Hell. Some foreshadowing for Nic Cage's future starring role in the Ghost Rider movies! (I'm sad that I can make that plural "movies" in that sentence).

1. The Truman Show- I'm always surprised when I see how highly rated this is. I always like Jim Carey so it sounds worth watching at least.

2. The Exerminating Angel- Bunuel that I haven't seen yet. Man it's easy to watch Criterion movies thanks to Hulu.

3. Pather Panchali- Are you kidding me, this has been on Youtube this whole time? Pick this movie.

4. The Last Picture Show- Working my way through America Lost and Found set. Not loving the movies so much but I am far more impressed with Jack Nicholson than I was before

5. Before the Devil Knows You're Dead- MODERN Lumet.

6. Giant- James Dean movie I haven't seen.

7. Gomorrah- Italian crime movie that's apparently looking good.

8. Kiss Me Deadly- Criterion noir of some sort.

9. Made in USA- Godard. You know, I may have seen this one, I just get it confused with a couple of other misc. Godards laying around. I get a free "pick something else on my list" if I start watching and have already seen it.

10. Ride with the Devil- No idea.

Watched (this time): The Lady Eve, Raising Arizona

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Brian Fellows posted:

This is pretty terrific.

Woody Allen is hit and miss but even his misses are usually entertaining. Manhattan Murder Mystery starts really well. The first half is right up there with a lot of his best work. The dialogue, the characters and the overall set up of the premise of an unexpected, maybe murder. It's like a neurotic Rear Window. It unravels in the final act to the point of absurdity but it's still fun. Alan Alda is the best of the cast, every scene he's in is a treat. The climax misses its mark and the movie falls flat despite the great opening half. So it's not up there with my favourite Allen, I'd say it's on the same level as Bullets Over Broadway and Whatever Works and just below Zelig. It's better than Scoop, at least.

Thank you Netflix for having this at the ready.

LIST O SHAME:

4) All About My Mother - I have never seen an Almodovar...

10) Badlands - Malick and serial killers!

SHAME BE GONE:Wild Strawberries, Sunset Blvd., The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, Our Man in Havana, Breathless, Phenomena, Withnail & I, 12 Angry Men, The Cranes Are Flying, Fitzcarraldo, Amadeus, Paths of Glory, Blow Out, Cronos, Hausu, City Lights, Easy Rider, The Lives of Others, Salo, In the Bedroom, The Killing of a Chinese Bookie, Cars, Brand Upon the Brain!, The Great Dictator, Double Indemnity, Point Blank, Cool Hand Luke, 127 Hours, Black Narcissus, Lawrence of Arabia, The Sting, A Woman is a Woman, Life of Brian, Last Picture Show, The Company of Wolves, Tree of Life, Life is Beautiful, Young Frankenstein, Cinema Paradiso, Some Like it Hot, Shotgun Stories, Singin' in the Rain, Precious, Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance, The Rules of the Game, Frost/Nixon, All About Eve, Bronson, The Searchers, Bicycle Thieves, American Graffiti, A Christmas Story, The Phantom Carriage, The Changeling, Repulsion, Kagemusha, Irreversible, The Virgin Spring, The Red Shoes, Deconstructing Harry, Metropolis, Che, The Island of Lost Souls, Revanche, Black Moon, Stalker, Manhattan Murder Mystery (TOTAL: 67)

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
^^^i command you to watch Badlands

Taxi Driver Wow, what a film. I love De Nero and Scorscesse so I knew I was in for something good. While not as much bang bang killing bad guys, and was a little slow in some parts but overall I was really satisfied. The build up, the score, the Jodie Foster playing her sad but realistic role extremely well. 8/10

3. The Warriors- I think this looks like a good movie, but just haven't gone out of my way to find it really.

4.Se7en- I used to be really squeamish so I couldn't handle this film, but I love thriller/horror now so I should be good.

54 40 or fuck fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Feb 27, 2012

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Toriori posted:

^^^i command you to watch Badlands

Taxi Driver Wow, what a film. I love De Nero and Scorscesse so I knew I was in for something good. While not as much bang bang killing bad guys, and was a little slow in some parts but overall I was really satisfied. The build up, the score, the Jodie Foster playing her sad but realistic role extremely well. 8/10

Generally you should be adding a new movie every time you take one off. Otherwise, you'll be out of movies in two more rounds. You want to keep the list large enough so the person below you has a number of choices. Most people have a list of ten, some do five, but you've only got two on your list. Try to think of a few new ones.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Toriori posted:

2. 2001:A space Odyssey
Both movies you listed are also on my list of movies I haven't seen but I know more about 2001, so that's what I'll recommend.

Alright before I start I want to say that I enjoy watching movies a lot, if I actually like them. I'm not a huge fan of going to the cinema, and at home I feel like I don't have time for watching movies, or I don't have the ones I want to see. I've had some success with watching movies online but I can get distracted easily so that doesn't always work. That said, I do like movies and I have seen a lot of the classics, but there are also a lot of films that I never found time for.

Every Rocky Movie - Not the best movies on this list, but certainly the most embarrassing. I'm a huge fan of boxing and a huge fan of the Rocky series. I can probably name most of the characters and a number of actors in these movies but I've never actually seen them. I've seen plenty of clips though, enough that I've probably seen enough the whole first movie out of order.

Casablanca - I saw this when I was younger, but I can't remember it and I didn't pay a lot of attention to it.

Fistfull of Dollars/A Few Dollars More/The Good The Bad And The Ugly - I started watching A fistful of Dollars online, but I never finished. What I saw looked very good though.

Movies with seven in the title: Se7en, The Magnificent Seven, Seven Samurai, Seven Year Itch, Seventh Seal, Seven Pounds. - Maybe I subconsciously hate the number 7 or something. Truth be told I'm not that interested in seeing any of the movies on this part of the list any time soon, but if you think it's worth it I'll do it.

2001: A Space Oddessy - I've seen parts of this and I'm interested. Probably one of the bigger barriers I have with this is that I know the major things that happen in it.

The Usual Suspects - This is another movie I've started watching online but then stopped when somebody pulled me away for some reason.

Man on the Moon - I love Andy Kaufman. I like Jim Carry in his more serious roles. This movie should be perfect for me.

Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb - Actually I have seen this movie, but I was not paying much attention and as a result I didn't really appreciate it. Some of my friends have told me that I need to see it again so I can understand how good it really is. I respect the opinions of these friends and they have rarely led me wrong before but I've never gotten around to it.

A Christmas Story - Similar to the above entry but instead of just not liking this movie I hated it. Seriously, I payed attention but I just loathed every second I had to watch this movie. At the time I really wanted to be doing something else, so that could have factored into it. I'm not looking forward to seeing this movie again, but I was a lot younger the first time I saw it so maybe I'll get more out of it next time.

The Rocky Horror Picture Show - There's a live version in my area and somebody I know wants to go see it and was asking me to come along. I kind of had a whole conversation with them without letting on that I hadn't seen it, using only what I know from secondary sources.

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005

MildManeredManikin posted:

Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb - Actually I have seen this movie, but I was not paying much attention and as a result I didn't really appreciate it. Some of my friends have told me that I need to see it again so I can understand how good it really is. I respect the opinions of these friends and they have rarely led me wrong before but I've never gotten around to it.

I think you should watch this one because I watched it when I was 12 and would like to see it again, but will it be as good? Only you can tell me.

How are you all otherwise. I've wanted to enter into this thread for a while and here I am. These are all movies in my queue on Netflix streaming.

A. They Call me Mr. Tibbs -- In The Heat of the Night is great so how much better will this movie be?

B. The Iron Giant -- I like every other B. Bird but how good can this Vin Diesel star vehicle be?

C. 3 Women -- I Love Altman but heard this was a bad Altman. Is it???

D. Earth Girls Are Easy -- How Easy?

E. Certified Copy -- Abbas you wowed me in Ten, Where's My Friend's House?? and The Close-Up.

F. Enter the Void -- I Want to Die

G. Alphaville - Breathless rules. A Woman is a Woman sucks. What about this movie?

H. White Mane -- Can a white horse learn a life of love?

I. White Dog -- Can a white dog learn to be less racist than the 2004 SA forums?

J. Twilight of the Ice Nymphs - I liked "Saddest Music," and I liked "My Winnipeg."

Penfold the Brave
Feb 11, 2006

Crumbs!

Dr. Video Games 0081 posted:

B. The Iron Giant -- I like every other B. Bird but how good can this Vin Diesel star vehicle be?

It's a straight up good movie. You should give it a go.

1. Yojimbo - I don't know why I haven't seen this yet, just one I haven't gotten around to I guess. I liked Seven Samurai a lot.

2. Chinatown - My distaste for Roman Polanski is based entirely on his rapey behaviour rather than his work as a director. I have made no special effort to watch his movies as a result, but I hear that Chinatown is pretty amazing.

3. Manhattan/Annie Hall - I have never watched a Woody Allen movie. I think partly because I don't find him that funny so I assume I won't find his movies funny? Could well be wrong though. I haven't gone out of my way not to watch his work.

4. Citizen Kane - I have no idea how this happened and it's probably my most shameful one.

5. Singin' in the Rain - I really dislike musicals. They make me feel uncomfortable and embarrassed, particularly in the moment they stop talking and break into song. I can tolerate and even enjoy animated musicals but I don't see myself getting any enjoyment out of this movie.

6. 2001: A Space Odyssey - I'm not opposed to watching this (been meaning to get around to it) but my husband has seen it and tells me it is really slow, which puts me off a bit.

7. Gone With the Wind - Seems to be one of those movies that a lot of people haven't gotten around to. I have seen bits and pieces of it on TV over the years, but nothing that compelled me to sit and watch all of it.

8. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest - Kinda hosed up and too much information to be volunteering to strangers on the internet, but this was my drunk/abusive father's favourite movie when I was a kid and he was obsessed with it. I know it's supposed to be a great movie and I would probably enjoy it a lot, but I have actively avoided it over the years because I know he loves it. Stupid, I know, and probably time I moved past it.

9. Rebecca - One of the few Hitchcock movies I haven't seen yet. The novel is on my list but I haven't read it yet, so I will probably watch the movie directly after I read it.

10. Taxi Driver - Another shameful admission. It's referenced so much in tv and other movies that I almost feel like I have seen it, but I should probably just sit down and watch it, particularly since it's De Niro's signature role.

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Penfold the Brave posted:

3. Annie Hall - I have never watched a Woody Allen movie. I think partly because I don't find him that funny so I assume I won't find his movies funny? Could well be wrong though. I haven't gone out of my way not to watch his work.

Start here. If you don't like it, you may be hard pressed to enjoy his work. I will say that you should see Match Point no matter how you feel about Annie Hall because it is such a departure. Personally, I love Annie Hall even though it's not my favourite Allen (that would be either Sweet and Lowdown, Hannah and Her Sisters or Vicky Cristina Barcelona). You also may like Zelig because it's over the top ridiculous.

It's odd watching Badlands knowing it was made by Terrence Malick. It's so straightforward compared to his recent work. The narration didn't work for me all the way, there was too much exposition that could have been handled by simply showing. For example, Spacek narrates that her father was furious when he found out she had lied to him about seeing Kit so he shot her dog as punishment. Why say this? It showed it, it made sense and this explanation was unnecessary. That said, Spacek's delivery throughout the movie is unsettling. She's so detached and it makes her creepier than Kit who is a gun wielding maniac. Warren Oates was wasted in his role.

I also watched The Long Goodbye, which is instantly one of my favourite Altman flicks. I can see where some might not like Gould in the role but I loved it. I'm a sucker for private eye movies and I was a big fan of the book this was based on. It's slick, stylish and a ton of fun.

LIST O SHAME:

3) Anatomy of a Murder - The poster, the cast, and yet I've only just heard of it.

10) Crimes and Misdemeanors - More Woody Allen...I gotta see them all!

SHAME BE GONE:Wild Strawberries, Sunset Blvd., The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, Our Man in Havana, Breathless, Phenomena, Withnail & I, 12 Angry Men, The Cranes Are Flying, Fitzcarraldo, Amadeus, Paths of Glory, Blow Out, Cronos, Hausu, City Lights, Easy Rider, The Lives of Others, Salo, In the Bedroom, The Killing of a Chinese Bookie, Cars, Brand Upon the Brain!, The Great Dictator, Double Indemnity, Point Blank, Cool Hand Luke, 127 Hours, Black Narcissus, Lawrence of Arabia, The Sting, A Woman is a Woman, Life of Brian, Last Picture Show, The Company of Wolves, Tree of Life, Life is Beautiful, Young Frankenstein, Cinema Paradiso, Some Like it Hot, Shotgun Stories, Singin' in the Rain, Precious, Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance, The Rules of the Game, Frost/Nixon, All About Eve, Bronson, The Searchers, Bicycle Thieves, American Graffiti, A Christmas Story, The Phantom Carriage, The Changeling, Repulsion, Kagemusha, Irreversible, The Virgin Spring, The Red Shoes, Deconstructing Harry, Metropolis, Che, The Island of Lost Souls, Revanche, Black Moon, Stalker, Manhattan Murder Mystery, Badlands, The Long Goodbye (TOTAL: 69)

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

It's nice to see some new faces in the thread!

Atheistdeals.com
Aug 2, 2004

Ratedargh posted:

10) Crimes and Misdemeanors - More Woody Allen...I gotta see them all!

This is a great one.

I really liked Rififi. The centerpiece heist scene is amazing, the way sound is used in that sequence really heightens the tension. The rest of the film is very good as well, I thought most of the characters were pretty strong. The only problem I can think of is that the club owner and his brothers weren't very interesting antagonists. I didn't really like the title song that the club girl sings either, it felt out of place. But those are minor problems, it's a great film regardless.

1920s: The Last Laugh - Murnau won me over with Sunrise, I look forward to seeing more of his movies.

1930s: It Happened One Night - Might as well put another Capra film here.

1940s: The Best Years of Our Lives - This sounds pretty interesting, I suppose.

1950s: Rififi Ugetsu - Sansho the Baliff was equally amazing and depressing, I hope I like this one just as much.

1960s: Army of Shadows - All I know about this is that it's bleak. Really bleak, apparently.

1970s: Cries and Whispers - I haven't been emotionally destroyed by a movie in a while, maybe this can do it for me.

1980s: Time of the Gypsies - One of my highest PSIs on Criticker but I never really see it talked about much.

1990s: Being John Malkovich - I pretty much love every other Charlie Kaufman film that I've seen, so I should really like this too.

2000s: The Pianist - Next on the IMDb top 250.

L'Atalante - Next highest on the They Shoot Pictures list.

Watched/Criticker Tier: The Seventh Seal 10, Moon 8, Barton Fink 10, The Thin Blue Line 9, Cool Hand Luke 9, Citizen Kane 10, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind 10, Rear Window 10, North by Northwest 9, Goodfellas 10, Casablanca 10, City Lights 8, Seven Samurai 10, Bicycle Thieves 9, Do the Right Thing 10, The Battle of Algiers 9, On the Waterfront 7, Wild Strawberries 10, The Trial 10, Adaptation 9, Unforgiven 10, Annie Hall 9, The 400 Blows 9, Diabolique 8, Mulholland Dr. 10, Dirty Harry 5, The 39 Steps 8, Aguirre: The Wrath of God 10, 8 1/2 9, Boogie Nights 9, A Streetcar Named Desire 7, Raiders of the Lost Ark 10, The General 9, Pickpocket 7, Pulp Fiction 10, Amadeus 10, Lawrence of Arabia 10, Eraserhead 8, The Lady Vanishes 8, The Wild Bunch 8, A Clockwork Orange 7, Platoon 7, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas 9, Ikiru 10, Jules and Jim 10, The Asphalt Jungle 8, M 9, The Thin Red Line 9, Dial M for Murder 9, The Sting 8, Once Upon a Time in the West 9, The Exterminating Angel 9, A Woman Under the Influence 10, Singin' in the Rain 9, Scenes From a Marriage 10, Badlands 8, City of God 10, The Gold Rush 7, The Maltese Falcon 9, The Conformist 9, The Shawshank Redemption 8, High and Low 10, It's a Wonderful Life 7, Days of Heaven 9, Le Samourai 6, The Night of the Hunter 10, Metropolis 10, The New World 10, Persona 8, Manhattan 9, Some Like It Hot 7, The Rules of the Game 10, Nights of Cabiria 7, The Graduate 10, Pather Panchali 10, Punch-Drunk Love 9, Grand Illusion 8, The Hustler 8, The Great Escape 8, Close Encounters of the Third Kind 7, Memento 9, Forbidden Planet 7, Stagecoach 7, The Usual Suspects 6, The Big Sleep 8, Modern Times 7, Tokyo Story 9, Seven 9, The Searchers 6, The Battleship Potemkin 6, Videodrome 8, Léon: The Professional 6, American History X 4, The Grapes of Wrath 7, The Wages of Fear 9, Bonnie and Clyde 6, Mean Streets 8, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington 8, American Beauty 6, The Great Dictator 7, Children of Paradise 10, La Dolce Vita 4, The Deer Hunter 8, Ben-Hur 5, Magnolia 9, Rushmore 10, MASH 4, Spirited Away 8, The Cranes Are Flying 9, Monty Python and the Holy Grail 7, Sunrise 9, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid 6, The Lives of Others 8, Casino 8, Naked 1, Glengarry Glen Ross 9, Rififi 8 (Total: 117)

Penfold the Brave
Feb 11, 2006

Crumbs!

Ratedargh posted:

Start here. If you don't like it, you may be hard pressed to enjoy his work. I will say that you should see Match Point no matter how you feel about Annie Hall because it is such a departure. Personally, I love Annie Hall even though it's not my favourite Allen (that would be either Sweet and Lowdown, Hannah and Her Sisters or Vicky Cristina Barcelona). You also may like Zelig because it's over the top ridiculous.

Ok, I watched Annie Hall today. Sadly it didn't do a lot for me - I liked its honesty and it had a lot of good ideas that I can see have been massively influential on other, more recent movies I have seen (500 Days of Summer being the most obvious example I can think of off the top of my head - another movie that left me cold, funnily enough). I will try Match Point based on your recommendation but I suspect that I just don't care much for Woody Allen's sense of humour.

Atheistdeals.com, watch It Happened One Night. It's an old fashioned screwball comedy but the dialogue and performances are excellent (which is funny because Gable and Colbert apparently both really hated the script).

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

I will try Match Point based on your recommendation but I suspect that I just don't care much for Woody Allen's sense of humour.

Good thing because it isn't a comedy. Also, you need to re-post your list so the next person who posts here has someone to choose for.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

10. Taxi Driver - Another shameful admission. It's referenced so much in tv and other movies that I almost feel like I have seen it, but I should probably just sit down and watch it, particularly since it's De Niro's signature role.

Watch this one.

Kull the Conqueror posted:

I'm picking this one, but only if you promise that no matter how you feel about it, you'll still watch the sequel, as it is both necessary and superior.

Yea, I will. The other one isn't that much farther down the IMDb list last I checked.

Before Sunrise - Julie Delpy and Ethan Hawke were good in their roles but this was just too big a dose of an extended date for me. I would rather go on a double-date with these people then watch the date through a TV. I'd rather interject some new ideas into the cliched dynamics of many of their topical discussions. Instead I had to helplessly watch.

It didn't feel like there was a break in the film. I don't think there's any subject I like seeing covered unrelentingly. e.g. I like car chase scenes but I wouldn't want to watch one that lasted 90 minutes.

My favorite scenes involved the palm reader and poem writer.

also watched:

Less Than Zero - I found this interesting primarily because I had seen parts of it so long ago and it was probably the first film I saw in any capacity that dealt with adult issues and not tame "kid topics." The film genuinely scared me as a youngster but not so much now.

First and foremost it's a depressing film no matter how you look at it (even though it's completely toned down compared to the novel). It's about what I'd imagine is going on with "The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills" when the cameras are off. And the fact that Robert Downey, Jr. is playing a character that would later parallel his future (cocaine problems) in some ways adds a very weird aspect to the film. James Spader, Andrew McCarthy and Jami Gertz are the other main characters.

I was reading trivia on the film and a sequel to the original book has been written and may become a film at some point. I like the trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8TsEr7CK9s

PS Brad Pitt is supposedly in the film but I didn't see him.

IMDb list:

new Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire - It's been a few months. Might be time for another one of these. 2/28/12

#145 Warrior - MMA Drama doesn't look too appealing or enticing. I did follow the UFC casually when it was first created back in the 90s but then they started adding gloves and other rules and I lost interest quickly. 2/23/12

#247 3 Idiots - Read some reviews but that's all. 1/17/12

Academy Award for Best Picture:

1980 Ordinary People - Heard of it but haven't seen it. 2/1/12

1968 Oliver! - I'm a little familiar with the story. 2/7/12

1966 A Man for All Seasons - Know nothing about this one. 2/14/12

Procrastination list:

The Prowler - Heard this was an overlooked classic slasher film. Zito directed Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter (which is my favorite of the series). The poster is :waycool: too. 2/15/12

Pink Floyd The Wall - Another one that looks interesting. 2/20/12

About Schmidt - Heard this was worth seeing. 2/21/12

new Another Woody Allen film - (Ranked from favorite to least favorite..I've seen Annie Hall, Sleeper, Love and Death and Manhattan). What next? 2/28/12

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Zogo posted:

new Another Woody Allen film - (Ranked from favorite to least favorite..I've seen Annie Hall, Sleeper, Love and Death and Manhattan). What next? 2/28/12

You get Deconstructing Harry.

Oh man didn't know truck driving was that intense, at least in the second half of The Wages of Fear that is. The first hour is painfully slow and has this air of repetitiveness to it, but after that it's quite the thrilling ride. Is the William Friedkin remake worth watching?

SHAME:

Smiles of a Summer Night A comedy by Ingmar Bergman?

Rushmore I enjoyed everything I seen from Wes Anderson so far, high hopes for this.

Have watched so far 73 movies: Barton Fink, Sweet Smell of Success, The 400 Blows, Rocky, Videodrome, Charade, The Double Life of Veronique, Ace in the Hole, Easy Rider, Dark City, Gosford Park, Seven, Hard Boiled, Mystic River, The Magnificent Ambersons, Midnight Cowboy, A Serious Man, A Hard Day's Night, Manhattan, Bram Stoker's Dracula, Hamlet, The Curse of the Were-Rabbit, The New World, Carlos, Blood Simple, Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me, Gangs of New York, The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, Burn After Reading, Mesrine:Killer Instinct, Mesrine: Public Enemy nrº1, The Enigma of Kaspar Hauser, Wild Strawberries, Repulsion, The Long Good Friday, Island of Lost Souls, A Matter of Life and Death, Peeping Tom, Beauty and the Beast, Zodiac, After Hours, Nights of Cabiria, The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, The Man Who Wasn't There, Encounters at the End of the World, The Cameraman, Hard Eight, The Purple Rose of Cairo, My Darling Clementine, The Virgin Spring, Dodes'ka-den, The Girl Who Played with Fire, The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest, Chimes at Midnight, Miller's Crossing, Wild at Heart, Hausu, Letter from an Unknown Woman, Shame, Pather Panchali, Aparajito, World of Apu, Cobra Verde, Richard III, L'Âge d'or, The Outlaw Josey Wales, The Age of Innocence, Mr. Hulot's Holiday, Dersu Uzala, Samurai Rebellion, Shoot the Piano Player, The Red Shoes, The Wages of Fear.

Electronico6 fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Feb 29, 2012

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Ratedargh posted:

Spacek narrates that her father was furious when he found out she had lied to him about seeing Kit so he shot her dog as punishment. Why say this? It showed it, it made sense and this explanation was unnecessary.

Spacek's delivery throughout the movie is unsettling. She's so detached and it makes her creepier than Kit who is a gun wielding maniac.

I think you answered your own question there. The narration isn't there for exposition, it's to get you into the strange mindset of Spacek's character and her perspective on the events.

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Electronico6 posted:

Rushmore I enjoyed everything I seen from Wes Anderson so far, high hopes for this.

Here you go, my favourite Anderson.

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

I think you answered your own question there. The narration isn't there for exposition, it's to get you into the strange mindset of Spacek's character and her perspective on the events.

Yeah, I get that and I don't think the narration failed entirely. It was effective in spots but I felt, upon my initial watch, that it was a bit overdone. Maybe I'll hold a different opinion the second time through. Overall it was a minor gripe anyway.

Now Crimes and Misdemeanors is excellent. I've watched a good chunk of Allen's films, not close to all, and I find it interesting that he's able to keep his analysis on relationship structures fresh. Sometimes his movies do fall flat but others, like this one, it really works on all fronts. The themes of guilt and morality in Judah's story create a portrait of a damaged man who makes his own bed and deals with the consequences. Meanwhile, we have Cliff in a loveless marriage who is hopelessly devoted to his floundering career and his niece. He struggles with a new love and how it may affect his current marriage. Really solid work, one of my favourite first viewings of an Allen film that is complex, dramatic and at times very funny.

LIST O SHAME:

1) The Last Detail - Hated Being There, but I should give Ashby another shot.

3) Anatomy of a Murder - The poster, the cast, and yet I've only just heard of it.

10) Tokyo Story - I've put off Ozu for too long. I know I should have seen something of his by now but I have no excuse.

SHAME BE GONE:Wild Strawberries, Sunset Blvd., The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, Our Man in Havana, Breathless, Phenomena, Withnail & I, 12 Angry Men, The Cranes Are Flying, Fitzcarraldo, Amadeus, Paths of Glory, Blow Out, Cronos, Hausu, City Lights, Easy Rider, The Lives of Others, Salo, In the Bedroom, The Killing of a Chinese Bookie, Cars, Brand Upon the Brain!, The Great Dictator, Double Indemnity, Point Blank, Cool Hand Luke, 127 Hours, Black Narcissus, Lawrence of Arabia, The Sting, A Woman is a Woman, Life of Brian, Last Picture Show, The Company of Wolves, Tree of Life, Life is Beautiful, Young Frankenstein, Cinema Paradiso, Some Like it Hot, Shotgun Stories, Singin' in the Rain, Precious, Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance, The Rules of the Game, Frost/Nixon, All About Eve, Bronson, The Searchers, Bicycle Thieves, American Graffiti, A Christmas Story, The Phantom Carriage, The Changeling, Repulsion, Kagemusha, Irreversible, The Virgin Spring, The Red Shoes, Deconstructing Harry, Metropolis, Che, The Island of Lost Souls, Revanche, Black Moon, Stalker, Manhattan Murder Mystery, Badlands, The Long Goodbye, Crimes and Misdemeanors (TOTAL: 70)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.

Zogo posted:

I was reading trivia on the film and a sequel to the original book has been written and may become a film at some point. I like the trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8TsEr7CK9s

Not only is there a follow up to the book, the characters in the book discuss the fact that there was a movie made about them and react to it pretty much like you did. It's a really weird experience and I hope if they make a movie of Imperial Bedrooms they'll get the cast from Less Than Zero, if only to gently caress with my head even more.