Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
Just upped from $15 to $110 because god drat, a Blu-Ray, a boxset, the soundtracks, a poster..? Holy poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beanpants
Oct 27, 2004

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Just upped from $15 to $110 because god drat, a Blu-Ray, a boxset, the soundtracks, a poster..? Holy poo poo.

Yeah, I'm considering it myself.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

That was a great video. I wouldn't be disappointed if the documentary was just more of that.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Hakkesshu posted:

That was a great video. I wouldn't be disappointed if the documentary was just more of that.

Seriously, I was like "pfft, what would I want with some dumb documentary, just gimme the drat game" and then I spent 35 minutes watching them just talk about adventure games, and when it ended I was like "Man, if only there were a way to get even more behind the scenes looks at Tim and Ron making games together OH WAIT".

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Does Tim Schafer sail or something? I couldn't help but notice that sitting behind Tim was what is almost certainly a remnant of a kevlar sail. I realize that they on occasion will make bags and other items out of old sails, but generally they only sell those items to sailors. Also SF is sort of the regional sailing mecca so,

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Hadlock posted:

Does Tim Schafer sail or something?

It's a possibility. He's a man of many hobbies.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Of course he sails. His name is Tim Schafer, and he wants to be a pirate.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Crappy Jack posted:

Of course he sails. His name is Tim Schafer, and he wants to be a pirate.

The important question is, does he have any fine leather jackets for sale?

Actually, that would be a pretty cool kickstarter reward.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I sorta knew Tim Schafer before, but not until this thread did I really know who he is.

Why do I like him so much? He just seems so.. drat cool :)

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Tony Montana posted:

I sorta knew Tim Schafer before, but not until this thread did I really know who he is.

Why do I like him so much? He just seems so.. drat cool :)

Because he is. Now go play Day of the Tentacle and Grim Fandango because you're a bad person until you do.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
In related news:-

Wasteland 2 Kickstarter is for real and happening soon.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Brian Fargo posted:

"I was quite surprised at how little interest there was"

I'm afraid the same will be case for this project.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Crappy Jack posted:

Because he is. Now go play Day of the Tentacle and Grim Fandango because you're a bad person until you do.

But... I don't think there's any way to do this. :(

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Regy Rusty posted:

But... I don't think there's any way to do this. :(

Buy the games.

https://scummvm.org to play Scumm games on your modern PC.

http://quick.mixnmojo.com/software/grim-fandango-setup to install Grim Fandango on your PC.

Now quit wasting time, you're making Tim sad by not playing his games.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Hakkesshu posted:

I think he should set the initial goal low and see what happens, because people will be less inclined to contribute if they see million than if they see a few hundred thousands. He might be setting himself for failure by aiming too high, but I still hope Wasteland 2 will happen.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
@BrianFargo
It's official! Mark Morgan who composed the music for @Fallout 1 and 2 has signed on to help do the same and set the mood for #wasteland.

First thing I've heard about this game that makes me somewhat excited.

Neutron Bandit
Apr 28, 2008

lordfrikk posted:

I think he should set the initial goal low and see what happens, because people will be less inclined to contribute if they see million than if they see a few hundred thousands. He might be setting himself for failure by aiming too high, but I still hope Wasteland 2 will happen.

The RPG is a much more expensive genre I'd hazard and perhaps one million is as low as he dared.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I really think he should have waited a bit longer. I'd wager a lot of people are still hurting from their donations to Tim and won't be able/willing to donate.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Megazver posted:

Mark Morgan

Megazver posted:

Mark Morgan

Megazver posted:

Mark Morgan

Take my 15 bucks and shut up.

I was curious about this Wasteland 2 thingy, but this settled the deal.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Crappy Jack posted:

I'm 30 years old! I have!

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Saoshyant posted:

Take my 15 bucks and shut up.

I was curious about this Wasteland 2 thingy, but this settled the deal.

:hawaaaafap:

Fargo's definitely pushing the right buttons.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Yeah, I'm really curious and hopeful the Wasteland 2 kickstarter will take off.

I strongly suspect that the number of fanatic old-school RPG fans is at least as large as the number of old-school adventure games fans.

Fingers crossed, and all that.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Hakkesshu posted:

Haha dude its going to double its expected goal. Isometric rpgs have an even bigger niche audience than adventure games and the world has kickstarter fever. He's got my 20$.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to

Megazver posted:

@BrianFargo
It's official! Mark Morgan who composed the music for @Fallout 1 and 2 has signed on to help do the same and set the mood for #wasteland.

First thing I've heard about this game that makes me somewhat excited.

Just take my loving money already and treat me like the whore I am.

This is excellent news.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Ron Gilbert :swoon:

Seriously, I've realized why those old games were interesting and cool and funny. Because the people who made them were interesting, cool people. Imagine that.

AntiPseudonym
Apr 1, 2007
I EAT BABIES

:dukedog:

the black husserl posted:

Haha dude its going to double its expected goal. Isometric rpgs have an even bigger niche audience than adventure games and the world has kickstarter fever. He's got my 20$.

I dunno, Adventure games had an incredibly wide audience and Schaefer is a really well-known name. I know a tonne of people whose entire gaming history can be summed up with Day Of The Tentacle, Monkey Island and maybe a Mario game or two. People that are holding out for a pure isometric RPG and aren't satisfied by the modern incarnations of RPGs seems like it would be a much smaller (If not vocal) crowd.

Although I'm more than happy to be proven wrong. I'd say it's likely that Fargos project will get less overall contributers, but higher average contributions than Double Fine.

Either way, it'll be a good test as to whether this has just been a once-only fluke riding on the back of Schaefer's charisma or if Kickstarter-funded niche titles are really a viable option.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Tony Montana posted:

I'm 30 years old! I have!

Do it again! You probably forgot how to do some of the puzzles.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

I remember when I was in high school I ordered Grim Fandango off of Amazon with some money I got for my birthday. They shipped me a small book of essays by Booker T. Washington instead but since it was ten bucks I never bothered to correct it. Later I tried getting a copy of Starship Titanic because the idea of playing a game by Douglass Adams was very appealing and instead I got the book written by Terry Jones (not bad, BTW).

I feel like I'm just not fated to play adventure games so I never really have. If something goes horribly wrong with this project just saying sorry right now for having kicked in $15.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Nobody today remembers the name Brian Fargo, and nobody today remembers Wasteland. Fargo has no real sob story to tell, no real modern cult classics to back him up. Like Tim Schafer said, if just a single element of the circumstances surrounding Double Fine's kickstarter was gone, it would have failed (or at least been far less successful). The Wasteland 2 kickstarter has like 3 or 4 missing aspects. He was talking like he'd set the goal for $1 million. I just can't see that happening.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Nobody today remembers the name Brian Fargo, and nobody today remembers Wasteland. Fargo has no real sob story to tell, no real modern cult classics to back him up. Like Tim Schafer said, if just a single element of the circumstances surrounding Double Fine's kickstarter was gone, it would have failed (or at least been far less successful). The Wasteland 2 kickstarter has like 3 or 4 missing aspects. He was talking like he'd set the goal for $1 million. I just can't see that happening.

Its not about Brian Fargo, it's about the legacy of isometric RPGs. A lot of people remember Wasteland and the Gold Box Games and Fallout 2.

Look, ipod docks and stick figure webcomics pull millions on kickstarter. Code hero just made $100,000. I think a new cRPG will make its goal. But I guess we'll have to wait and see. :)

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Maybe I'm missing something, but why would a new isometric RPG cost over $1M to make but Schafer budgeted his adventure game for $400k? Where would the extra money be needed?

Valen
Oct 1, 2009

Armor-Piercing posted:

Maybe I'm missing something, but why would a new isometric RPG cost over $1M to make but Schafer budgeted his adventure game for $400k? Where would the extra money be needed?

The Double Fine Adventure game was originally going to be very limited in scope. Only a couple of hours long before the Kickstarter blew up with money. People expect RPGs to be much longer then that, so it would probably need a significantly larger budget.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

And the adventure game was budgeted at 300k (100k was for the documentary). It wasn't even going to have voice acting. It was going to be really small and novel. Now it's spiraling into this huge project that's probably going to end up being almost as big as the lucas arts games.

Its not about Brian Fargo, it's about the legacy of isometric RPGs. A lot of people remember Wasteland and the Gold Box Games and Fallout 2.

Look, ipod docks and stick figure webcomics pull millions on kickstarter. Code hero just made $100,000. I think a new cRPG will make its goal. But I guess we'll have to wait and see. :)

I hope you're right.

Besson
Apr 20, 2006

To the sun's savage brightness he exposed the dark and secret surface of his retinas, so that by burning the memory of vengeance might be preserved, and never perish.
This video is worth it for the documentary alone. My pledge was initially just for the game, but that Gilbert/Schafer conversation was so fun and interesting that I am really glad I ended up going the $30 tier.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Armor-Piercing posted:

A RPG is probably going to need a longer development cycle. That's probably most of the cost difference. Six months or whatever Doublefine was initially thinking for their adventure game isn't going to cut it for a real Wasteland 2.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I think the success of Wasteland 2 depends entirely on their project video. I think it could potentially reach $1 million if they pitched it right. I can't really see it being as successful as Double Fine under any circumstances, though.

But hey, it's a really interesting time for games if this all works out. I feel that many niche games will have a pretty good chance of being funded if they actually put effort into their pitches.

The whole bubble will burst as soon as they start charging Europeans in euros, though :argh:

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Megazver posted:

Mark Morgan

Am... I... dreaming? :flashfap:

Gaph
May 15, 2007

Do backers have to completely fund a game, or could it work with publishers so it's dual funded? Kickstarter is proof of interest in your game + capital raised, could you then shop it to publishers even looking to just match the amount raised? Especially for advertising, localization, platforms, retail -- to spread it farther than just the original backers.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Gaph posted:

Do backers have to completely fund a game, or could it work with publishers so it's dual funded? Kickstarter is proof of interest in your game + capital raised, could you then shop it to publishers even looking to just match the amount raised? Especially for advertising, localization, platforms, retail -- to spread it farther than just the original backers.
The only rule on kickstarter is that you have to reach your goal on the site, through the site, or no one gets charged and no one gets any money.

So, if you get a huge chunk of money for your project and it doesn't go through kickstarter (say if someone just hands you a check for a couple thousand dollars) it doesn't help your kickstarter any.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

The only rule on kickstarter is that you have to reach your goal on the site, through the site, or no one gets charged and no one gets any money.

So, if you get a huge chunk of money for your project and it doesn't go through kickstarter (say if someone just hands you a check for a couple thousand dollars) it doesn't help your kickstarter any.

Well except there's nothing stopping you from depositing the check and then donating the money to your own kickstarter.

• Locked thread