Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prog Doctor
Feb 28, 2010
I work at my alma mater's radio station, and they've foolishly decided to get rid of all the vinyl. They want to go completely digital...

But apparently, the music program there breeds morons - they tried to sell the records for $1 each, but hardly anyone bought any. So now they're letting the DJs go through them and take what they like. I seem to be one of only a handful who still has a turntable, because no one appears to be taking any...

After a few months of the "take whatever you like" policy, I'm still finding cool stuff. Yesterday I brought home "And Close As This", and "In A Foreign Town" by Peter Hammill, and Dick Heckstall-Smith's "A Story Ended", featuring Dave Greenslade, Graham Bond, and Jon Hiseman.

Previous finds include "In The Wake of Poseidon", "Lizard", "Islands", "Discipline", "Three Of A Perfect Pair", and "Beat"; "2112", "Grace Under Pressure", and "Hold Your Fire", and Renaissance's debut. I already had them on cd, but who could pass up all those free albums?

Anyone want me to keep an eye out for anything in particular? I will say that generally, the record sleeves will be anything from worn, to poo poo condition, but the records have generally remained in great condition.

Prog Doctor fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Feb 19, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Crippled Black Pheonix's new album is very good and has a lot of progressive elements to it, though it's still mostly post-rock with a touch of psychedelic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLiR_MT6toQ

Catgirl Al Capone fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Feb 19, 2012

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich

a medical mystery posted:

Crippled Black Pheonix's new album is very good and has a lot of progressive elements to it, though it's still mostly post-rock with a touch of psychedelic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLiR_MT6toQ

I love this thread. Apart from the silly name, this band is very cool. Got some serious Pink Floyd-esque lead guitar going on.

velvet milkman fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Feb 19, 2012

Gimmedaroot
Aug 10, 2006

America and Islam are not exclusive and need not be in competition. Instead, they overlap, and share common principles of justice and progress, tolerance and the dignity of all human beings.
-Barack Obama
Just found out Rick Wakeman might be in a power trio with Tony Levin on bass. Tony just finished with an all improv trio that Alan White played on. Makes me think Tony misses the hell out of Bruford. Hell, who doesn't?

solids2k
Mar 5, 2010
I just happened upon news that Ian Anderson has written and recorded a sequel to Thick As A Brick which is to be released April 2nd of this year! Apparently it is technically a solo effort, which means no Martin Barre, and that fact has me skeptical but I can't help but be intrigued. The brief samples in the promo video linked below definitely sound to be in the spirit of the original so I can't help but be a little bit excited.

Thick As A Brick 2 Promo; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7jZMCBEsZM

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

solids2k posted:

I just happened upon news that Ian Anderson has written and recorded a sequel to Thick As A Brick which is to be released April 2nd of this year! Apparently it is technically a solo effort, which means no Martin Barre, and that fact has me skeptical but I can't help but be intrigued. The brief samples in the promo video linked below definitely sound to be in the spirit of the original so I can't help but be a little bit excited.

Thick As A Brick 2 Promo; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7jZMCBEsZM

There was an interview I read with Steven Wilson (who mixed it) which had a bit on this:

Steven Wilson posted:

Ian said to me “I’ve written Thick as a Brick 2.” I said “That’s interesting.” He told me about this very interesting concept of what would have happened to Gerald Bostock, the eight-year-old kid that supposedly wrote the lyrics, originally. He said it looks at what path his life would have taken. It sounded like a really interesting concept. But I’ll be perfectly honest, part of me also was very skeptical that he could pull it off. There’s always a danger in doing a sequel and it doesn’t just apply to music but to movies and books—it can never live up to the expectation if the original is an established classic, as Thick as a Brick is. I talked with Ian about it and said “If you’re going to do it, you have to do it with the original musical palette. You have to go back and use acoustic guitar, flutes, harpsichords, glockenspiels, and all the things that made the original special. You have to keep it a very organic record and almost go back to the spirit of 1972.” He seemed totally onboard with that and the record is good. I’m not going to say it’s as good as the original, but it’s a very strong piece of work and a credible attempt by one of the legends of ‘70s progressive music to recapture the zeitgeist and feeling of their greatest work.

Speaking of Steven Wilson I am just listening to the 5.1 DTS mix of Deadwing for the first time and it is something else :swoon:

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

The fact that Steven Wilson was involved makes me even more afraid of what it will sound like, but I will still listen to at least 10 minutes of it.

solids2k
Mar 5, 2010
I had no idea Steven Wilson was involved but I feel like his involvement should be a good thing, especially from that interview excerpt. I'll definitely be giving it a fair shot and listening to it with an open mind.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
Its funny how Steven Wilson has become the figurehead for progressive rock lately

Henry Fungletrumpet
Dec 1, 2008
Not really. I can't think of another person on the scene who's actively involved themselves in so many projects, both as writer, performer or producer, so it's only natural that he'd become something of a poster boy. He's a loving great producer though, so I can't say I mind when his name turns up in the liner notes.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

If any of you guys are interested, here's the whole interview. It's long but a good read

nihil morari
Sep 24, 2011

by Ralp

david puddy posted:

If any of you guys are interested, here's the whole interview. It's long but a good read

Thanks. Good read indeed.
SW is a cool dude.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:

Henry Fungletrumpet posted:

Not really. I can't think of another person on the scene who's actively involved themselves in so many projects, both as writer, performer or producer, so it's only natural that he'd become something of a poster boy. He's a loving great producer though, so I can't say I mind when his name turns up in the liner notes.

absolutely, the remastering job he did on Lizard is the best remaster I've ever heard of anything - like it completely changes what the album is about

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I'm really curious what the Storm Corrosion project is going to sound like. I'm guessing it's going to lean way more on the side of prog than on metal.

Speaking of Opeth, I just saw them in Taipei and they were amazing as usual. I'm not quite sure the Taipei audience was prepared for the set they got. Basically everyone was loudly shouting for songs from Blackwater Park during the entire first half of the show. Mikael actually had to remind the audience that he was only going to be playing songs on the set list.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

I am really excited for Storm Corrosion, and have no idea what to expect. I read somewhere that there is only drums on 15-20% of the music, and also that it's the opposite to what everyone will think it is. I'll definitely be keen to get my hands on the blu-ray release of it

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

david puddy posted:

I am really excited for Storm Corrosion, and have no idea what to expect. I read somewhere that there is only drums on 15-20% of the music, and also that it's the opposite to what everyone will think it is. I'll definitely be keen to get my hands on the blu-ray release of it
With a name like Storm Corrosion, I'm expecting noise more than prog.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

I'm expecting dark, jazzy freakout prog with a sprinkling of industrial. Sort of like Lizard mixed with Relayer mixed with The Downward Spiral remixed by Phillip Glass on acid. With barely any drums.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

JAMOOOL posted:

Its funny how Steven Wilson has become the figurehead for progressive rock lately

I just get the feeling he's becoming the next incarnation of Fripp as the Rosetta Stone of Prog.

Gao
Aug 14, 2005
"Something." - A famous guy
I'm surprised I haven't seen mention of one of my favorite albums:

666 by Aphrodite's Child

While I doubt most of you have heard of this band, you've probably heard of their keyboardist, Vangelis, or at least heard the music he composed for Blade Runner. This album was the result of him trying to move his psychedelic rock band to a more progressive, experimental sound, and it ended up breaking up the band. It's a concept album about the book of Revelation, and the music ranges from accessible, radio friendly tunes to atmospheric pieces to hard rock instrumentals, culminating in a 20 minute masterpiece called All the Seats Were Occupied. The album really needs to be listened to as a whole, particularly to fully appreciate the last track I linked, so if you like anything you heard here, you really need to track down a copy of this album.

And on a completely unrelated note, you guys might like this humorous article Rick Wakeman wrote about his time in Yes.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

666 is a seriously ridiculous record, and my vinyl copy is easily one of the records I'd save if my studio were burning down. I found out about it via 'Cosmic' Ray Cromie, late-night avant-garde DJ on Penn State student radio since the 70s, when he was a student. He'd show up during my afternoon time slot to check the mail, and since I pushed my slot on the afternoon classic rock show kinda prog, he and I would get into ridiculous conversations at times.

That said, Four Horsemen is loving crushing.

VVV - At least it's not the AV Club's recent Chris "Steve Howe" Squire incident.

hexwren fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Feb 27, 2012

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
My favorite part is how they misspelled his name in the photo caption.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

I never knew if 666 was really considered 'prog' (their other two albums certainly aren't! even though they are quite good), but yes it's a pretty incredible album, amazing and kinda terrible at the same time. It's weird that there are hardly any "proper songs" after "Four Horseman", as it's pretty much all instrumental jams and narration, but it works!

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

This is hilarious, thanks for posting it

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Anybody else here going to NEARfest Apocalypse? Tickets went on sale 38 minutes ago, but there are apparently still seats available online for the 3-day bundle if you hurry.

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

Didn't think many people liked 666, it is a really interesting, cool album. Do any of like Socrates Drank the Conium? Lots of prog elements in their music, and they also happened to have Vangelis play on/produce an album later in their career.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5fZIVk1tV8 is the result

Pickled Foetus
Jan 20, 2009
There's some new clips of TAAB2 on the Jethro Tull website. http://www.jethrotull.com/

I'm amazed at how good Ian's voice sounds. He's sounded loving terrible the last few years, but here he sounds like he did on Stormwatch. I don't own any post-70s Tull albums, but I'll definitely be buying this.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

So I just found out that as a teenager, Steven Wilson was the keyboard player in a New Wave band called Pride of Passion, later changing their name to the Blazing Apostles. Here is a live clip, our hero is on the far left of the stage:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JR3Gjhx970

And a photo from a live gig:

Prog Doctor
Feb 28, 2010

Iucounu posted:

So I just found out that as a teenager, Steven Wilson was the keyboard player in a New Wave band called Pride of Passion, later changing their name to the Blazing Apostles.

And to think that two years later he released "On A Sunday Evening Of Life" as Porcupine Tree...

On a different note, anyone familiar with Jade Warrior? I just picked up their 1975 album "Waves". It's alright. It's jazzy - the kind of album you could play as background music at a family dinner, and no one would mind.

Katina
May 3, 2009

Iucounu posted:

And a photo from a live gig:

He's a beautiful man.

I'm actually doing an interview with him next week, so if anyone has any great questions in mind, let me know.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Katina posted:

He's a beautiful man.

I'm actually doing an interview with him next week, so if anyone has any great questions in mind, let me know.

Print out photo of baby SW. Get photo of SW holding photo. Post.

glompix
Jan 19, 2004

propane grill-pilled
Hello prog thread! I'm just really getting into the genre after years of just listening to Rush, Opeth, Enslaved, and that sort of stuff since high school. Listened (heavily) to the majority of Crimson and (early) Yes over the year or so now I'm looking for more.

Iucounu posted:

This man. After reading all the Steven Wilson love in this thread, I had to check PT out. Wow. Loaded up all of their stuff on Spotify in chronological order, and about to finish In Absentia. I already love this band.

Thanks, goons! :allears:

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

Prog nerds: My two man prog rock project just released our first demo. This is one of our more straightforward tunes, but it gets pretty proggy in places:

http://soundcloud.com/metamusique

Prog Doctor
Feb 28, 2010

Iucounu posted:

Prog nerds: My two man prog rock project just released our first demo. This is one of our more straightforward tunes, but it gets pretty proggy in places:

http://soundcloud.com/metamusique

I like it! Reminds me of Crippled Black Phoenix. Once you get a full EP or album recorded, let me know!

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

Prog Doctor posted:

I like it! Reminds me of Crippled Black Phoenix. Once you get a full EP or album recorded, let me know!

Will do! We should have a 4 or 5 track EP done by June.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

glompix posted:

Hello prog thread! I'm just really getting into the genre after years of just listening to Rush, Opeth, Enslaved, and that sort of stuff since high school. Listened (heavily) to the majority of Crimson and (early) Yes over the year or so now I'm looking for more.

This man. After reading all the Steven Wilson love in this thread, I had to check PT out. Wow. Loaded up all of their stuff on Spotify in chronological order, and about to finish In Absentia. I already love this band.

Thanks, goons! :allears:

Be sure to check out Insurgentes and Grace For Drowning, too. At the moment, Insurgentes is my favourite SW work.

BSchlang
Mar 27, 2009
A track from Storm Corrosion supposedly popped up on Youtube. A lot of people are calling it fake, but it sure sounds like Mikael Akerfeldt on vocals, and Soundhound can't identify it as any other song. I sure hope it's legit, because it sounds awesome. Kinda reminds me of "To Rid the Disease"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64behhTZ8K0

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

BSchlang posted:

A track from Storm Corrosion supposedly popped up on Youtube. A lot of people are calling it fake, but it sure sounds like Mikael Akerfeldt on vocals, and Soundhound can't identify it as any other song. I sure hope it's legit, because it sounds awesome. Kinda reminds me of "To Rid the Disease"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64behhTZ8K0

I'm a little suspicious. I believe it's Mikael Akerfeldt, but I have a few issues with it: that section is lifted directly from "To Rid The Disease" which seems a little more lazy to me than it does self-referential in a cool way (like shades of Close to the Edge in Yes' Tales From Topographic Oceans"). Also, it doesn't really sound tight enough or polished enough to strike me as an official release, but maybe that's what they were going for, I don't know. The drums sound sloppier than I would expect from something with Steven Wilson's name on it. The abrupt ending is also a little curious.

My money is on demo/bonus track if anything, not an album track.

Iucounu fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Mar 17, 2012

Velocirocktor
Oct 18, 2006

And it's just a little bit of Cretaceous Castle Magic
It's a track called Mordet i Grottan from Sorskogen, an unreleased collaboration Mikael did with Dan Swano. He definitely reused the chorus for To Rid The Disease, but since the track was unreleased I can't blame him, it's a nice melody.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Since I know some people here will be interested, The Red Masque have a Kickstarter project to fund their new album, which will (hopefully) be produced by Bob Drake, who did the recent Art Bears and This Heat remasters.

If you haven't listened to them yet, you're missing out on one of the best avant-prog bands of the past decade. Fossileyes in particular is loving fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Katina
May 3, 2009

Rust Martialis posted:

Print out photo of baby SW. Get photo of SW holding photo. Post.

This is the only thing you guys want me to ask Wilson?
Somehow, I am not surprised.