Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

crashdome posted:

Fox is awesome. You keep two pistols in her hands (pref low AP ones with HP ammo) and she will NOT disappoint if guys get too close.

Actually I've found that, with ambidextrous mercs, loading one pistol with regular / AP ammo and the second one with HP / Glaser works remarkably well. The first bullet will wear down the armor and the second will do massive damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Burning Mustache posted:

Actually I've found that, with ambidextrous mercs, loading one pistol with regular / AP ammo and the second one with HP / Glaser works remarkably well. The first bullet will wear down the armor and the second will do massive damage.

Does it actually work that way? Or do you just get lucky? cause if it works that way it's loving stupid.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

SpookyLizard posted:

Does it actually work that way? Or do you just get lucky? cause if it works that way it's loving stupid.

I don't think it does work that way. I think HP actually deals more damage to armour because the highly increased damage is applied to the armour itself rather than the person wearing it.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.
Regular ball ammo for pistols does wear armor down pretty well in my experience, and HP / Glaser does more damage if the armor is worn down, so it does work.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.
So how does 1.13 handle scopes, reflex sights, and lasers all existing on the same weapon at the same time? Are all their bonuses cumulative or does it pick one attachment to use based upon range to target?

What does adding underarmor to vests do?

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Copper Vein posted:

So how does 1.13 handle scopes, reflex sights, and lasers all existing on the same weapon at the same time? Are all their bonuses cumulative or does it pick one attachment to use based upon range to target?

If by underarmor you mean inserts, then they make the armor a shitload more effective. Adding a ceramic insert adds like 50 armor to your vest. Seeing how most vests have like 30ish armor, that's a whole lot.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Or if you mean the "underarmor shirt" add-on, it helps with your camo.
See the thing is, having camo value on your armor is a moot point because the camo value of whatever LBE vest you put on top of it completely overrides it. The underarmor camo shirt just gives you 5% more camo value despite the LBE gear.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Copper Vein posted:

Bonuses are cumulative, but situational. Lasers only provide a benefit out to their maximum range, the longest being I think 30 tiles for the Rifle LAM. Reflex sights provide their benefit no matter what because they reduce the number of aiming levels regardless of range, but scopes are only good past their minimum range which does pose a serious problem if someone with a 7x or 10x scope gets ambushed.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Ceyton posted:

I always play with drop-all on, and alt-LMB selling disabled. It just makes more sense that way.

This is what I do. Drop everything + no selling from inventory + drastically increased repair times to reduce the effect of getting “too good” guns early. You can still use them, but just like carting around stuff to sell, if you come across a well-equipped group of blackshirts, you now have to move all those shiny new guns back to home base where “team repair stuff” sits and does nothing else than work in the repair sweat-shop 24/7 to keep stuff in order. Picking up a gun from the ground and trying to use it is a good way to get yourself killed after your shiny new gun jams for 8 rounds in a row…

As a side-effect, any time a nice gun drops with a barrel-extender attached, it's basically lost to me — shooting the extender off because I want to attach something else will hurt the gun as well and increase the already painfully long repair time. This change also makes you take a much closer look at the repair difficulty of some of the “better” guns and come to the conclusion that, nah, a simple AR15 or AK family gun might be a much better choice for clearing the road from roaming soldiers, because there's no point in wasting precious gun maintenance time on such a routine and unrewarding task.

FellowAmerican
Oct 2, 2007
I'm too busy philosophizing to get up
The game with 1.13 was running fine until I adjusted some things in the .ini editor. After that, I would get the error message about tilesets not matching. Even when I tried to reinstall it, I would get the same message. I used the installer that was in the op. Vanilla JA2 will run fine, I really want to get all the cool 1.13 goodies though.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Burning Mustache posted:

Regular ball ammo for pistols does wear armor down pretty well in my experience, and HP / Glaser does more damage if the armor is worn down, so it does work.

Yeah but one shot? That seems pretty ridiculous.

the pole or the dole
May 21, 2009

Tippis posted:

This is what I do. Drop everything + no selling from inventory + drastically increased repair times to reduce the effect of getting “too good” guns early. You can still use them, but just like carting around stuff to sell, if you come across a well-equipped group of blackshirts, you now have to move all those shiny new guns back to home base where “team repair stuff” sits and does nothing else than work in the repair sweat-shop 24/7 to keep stuff in order. Picking up a gun from the ground and trying to use it is a good way to get yourself killed after your shiny new gun jams for 8 rounds in a row…

There really should be a way to toggle what items you want to always drop, being able to turn off guns and armor but leave all the ammo would work really well for me, going back to the airport just for ammo is really tedious, also selling/deleting 2 pages of pants and helmets gets boring real fast.

Jarf
Jun 25, 2006

PLATINUM

Who wants this?

Tell me in one sentence why you want Jagged Alliance 2.

I'll be back later to gift it to the best reason (or just give it to the only person that replied).

hairrorist
Mar 29, 2011
So I just decided to do a new playthrough while I wait for BiA to become worthwhile. I've seen people discussing good starting mercs and referring to multiple gear sets--is there a way to change their starting loadout in 1.13?

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Jarf posted:

Who wants this?

I'll be back later to gift it to the best reason (or just give it to the only person that replied).

I have never actually completed a full game of Jagged Alliance 2 due to save game corruption, reformats, having to give the disk back to my friend, etc. despite having done pretty much everything else possible. I want to replay it with 1.13 and maybe possibly see the ending this time.

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

Why can they not just makes Jagged Alliance 2 with the silent storm engine. :(

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I don't understand this game but would like to. Where is my mission indicated? How do I get civilians on my side? Where the hell is miguel? How do I travel to other areas?

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The mission is to kill Deidrana. There's nothing else. She's on Meduna, on the south side of the island. You must conquer cities to gain loyalty. each city has 3 to 5 squares and you gain loyalty in that city the more squares you conquer. Losing a square will net you a penalty in loyalty. Loyalty allows you to train and recruit militias which can defend your cities, freeing your mercs to attack other locations.

Miguel is in Omerta. When you first land in Arulco and fight off the enemies in the first map you'll find a little boy and a woman in the ruins of the village. Give them the letter your first mercenary has and she'll guide you to the hideout.

After talking to them you can recruit Ira right away. They'll ask for supplies, which can be obtained by talking to the priest in Drassen. When they get their supplies you can come back to the camp to recruit Dimitri. After four cities liberated you can recruit Carlos and with 5 you can finally get Miguel. You can travel to other areas by moving your mercs to the side you want to go, hugging them to the "wall" and pressing the new icon that will show up. Alternatively, you can go back to the tactical map (bottom right corner) and move your mercs like that.

The normal order of the campaign is usually Drassen, Chitzena, although because it's so far away you might be better off going after Cambria. After these three cities you should either hit Grumm , the industrial heart of Arulco, or Alma, the military center. Each will be tough, much tougher than the first three cities.

I think that covers it. Don't forget to use IMPs and to use the 1.13 mod if you're not doing it already.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Also make sure to actually talk to people in your first game. Citizens actually give quite a bit of info. There's a number of things to do in the towns themselves, such as capturing the mine.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
Could someone please clarify the 1.13 inventory system? Love this game to bits but being accustomed to vanilla version I started the 1.13 yesterday and Scope had binoculars on the right (greyed out) side of the inventory. A backpack I presume? I tried putting the binoculars somewhere else but then the whole inventory greyed out and I had to put it on the ground. What am I doing wrong?

Austen Tassletine
Nov 5, 2010
As it's your first time through, it's worth being aware of the history screen in the laptop. Outstanding 'quests' will be in red.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Mans posted:

Miguel is in Omerta. When you first land in Arulco and fight off the enemies in the first map you'll find a little boy and a woman in the ruins of the village. Give them the letter your first mercenary has and she'll guide you to the hideout.

edit: NM, i'll start over

Donovan Trip fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Feb 25, 2012

hairrorist
Mar 29, 2011
So am I a dummy or is there only a single set of starting equipment for each merc? People keep talking about how great it is to hire Wolf with his fifth gear set, which includes a para. But I dunna how.

x!te bike
May 2, 2008

Are you playing with the latest 1.13 build?

Ceyton
Oct 9, 2004

YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!

Terminally Bored posted:

Could someone please clarify the 1.13 inventory system? Love this game to bits but being accustomed to vanilla version I started the 1.13 yesterday and Scope had binoculars on the right (greyed out) side of the inventory. A backpack I presume? I tried putting the binoculars somewhere else but then the whole inventory greyed out and I had to put it on the ground. What am I doing wrong?

To access items in "big" backpacks, you need to click the zipper icon - then you're immobile until you zip it back up. Big packs also increase your movement AP costs and prevent you from jumping / climbing, so it's not a good idea to carry them into combat.

Small packs occupy a separate inventory slot, but you can't use both types of pack at once - unless they're the TIMS backpack set, which your IMP merc starts with.

hairrorist posted:

So am I a dummy or is there only a single set of starting equipment for each merc? People keep talking about how great it is to hire Wolf with his fifth gear set, which includes a para. But I dunna how.

Press the "Kit" buttons under the inventory display on their AIM pages.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Thanks for the tips. There is a LOT to learn in this game, which is great since I nearly lost my left hand in an injury yesterday and need an in depth game I can play one handed.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

Ceyton posted:

To access items in "big" backpacks, you need to click the zipper icon - then you're immobile until you zip it back up. Big packs also increase your movement AP costs and prevent you from jumping / climbing, so it's not a good idea to carry them into combat.

Small packs occupy a separate inventory slot, but you can't use both types of pack at once - unless they're the TIMS backpack set, which your IMP merc starts with.

That makes sense. Thanks!

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.
I'm pretty sure somebody posted about mercs being able to repair while riding in the hummer. If I set a merc that's in the hummer, but not driving, to repair, he gets out. What am I missing?

Also getting a runtime error that effectively CTDs when telling the repairing Steroid to get in the hummer from the map screen.

hairrorist
Mar 29, 2011
Hmm, mine has no kit buttons. Maybe I buggered the install?

Jarf
Jun 25, 2006

PLATINUM

edit, ignore this post

Jarf fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Feb 25, 2012

FiddlersThree
Mar 13, 2010

Elliot, you IDIOT!

Jarf posted:

Who wants this?

Jarf, do you mind if I link to this post in my LP thread? I think there are at least a few people in there who don't have the game, and who might jump at the chance for a gifted copy.

Jarf
Jun 25, 2006

PLATINUM

FiddlersThree posted:

Jarf, do you mind if I link to this post in my LP thread? I think there are at least a few people in there who don't have the game, and who might jump at the chance for a gifted copy.

Fine by me.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

echronorian posted:

Thanks for the tips. There is a LOT to learn in this game, which is great since I nearly lost my left hand in an injury yesterday and need an in depth game I can play one handed.

The game can pretty much be played with a mouse, though there are a few shortcuts (like the ever necessary CTRL+SHIFT+F/A/M), that you'll need the keyboard for.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

echronorian posted:

Just a tip in your special circumstance, typically people use the 'r', 'p', 'c', 'j' (run, prone, crouch, jump to rooftop respectively) keys to control their merc movements and it saves a lot of time. But a lot of people don't also know that these are all also mapped to PgUp and PgDown (it just goes in order, PgDn to move downwards in stance, PgUp to move upwards in stance including jumping to roof). So you have the most common hotkeys on either side of the keyboard. Hope that helps!

I don't think you really need any other hotkeys except for sorting inventory. After every battle push shift+f, shift+s to sort the sector inventory. Alternatively just push ctrl+shift+f and it will do both of those commands for you. Then you can push ctrl+shift+a to auto make ammo boxes (which you can drag on top of weapons of matching caliber and it'll put equvivalent clips in the merc's inventory).

More info here: http://ja2v113.pbworks.com/w/page/4218351/ja2_and_1_13_hot_keys

Edit: Double clicks will also make your dudes run instead of walk.

FormerFatty
Jul 18, 2006
Is there any way to activate Sci Fi mode after you've started a game of 1.13? I'm about half way through and I want to try out all the future weaponsy stuff.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't think you, you can try changing the weapons from sci fi mode to regular mode to see if they appear, but i doubt it works.

So, i looked at the XML files and there are recon, stealth ops, medic, mechanics and field op armors, basically improved version of regular twaron, guardian, kevlar vests and the like.

They look pretty good and seem awesome but for some reason they're blocked entirely from the game. You can't buy them in BR nor does the enemy use them. Anyone know if it's alright to put this on Bobby Rays or will it crash my game?

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

Mad Pills posted:

going back to the airport just for ammo is really tedious

If you're using 1.13, get the ice cream truck early and keep a crate of ammo in it for each caliber you're fielding. That should hold you until you get a few SAM's knocked out and can fly a few mercs back & forth with ammo crates in their hands.

E: Or complete the Estoni quest for gas

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

Who should I hire to train milita in Drassen while I romp around and take bullets to the head? I'm using Flo, Igor, Barry, Ira, Gumpy.

Baytor
Oct 4, 2010

Well, never mind! Commando missions are much more fun than girls anyway!

Mans posted:

So, i looked at the XML files and there are recon, stealth ops, medic, mechanics and field op armors, basically improved version of regular twaron, guardian, kevlar vests and the like.

They look pretty good and seem awesome but for some reason they're blocked entirely from the game. You can't buy them in BR nor does the enemy use them. Anyone know if it's alright to put this on Bobby Rays or will it crash my game?

If I remember correctly they were added a few years ago before the new inventory, basically you could attach things like knives and canteens and other miscellaneous bits and pieces to them in order to free up space in in your mercs' inventories. They may also have had camo bonuses (I think the stealth ones make you sneak like a mad bastard too).

Can't see any reason why they wouldn't work if you enabled them with the XML editor, but they don't really serve much of a purpose now that there's a load of webbing and assault vests in game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Sistergodiva posted:

Who should I hire to train milita in Drassen while I romp around and take bullets to the head? I'm using Flo, Igor, Barry, Ira, Gumpy.

A leveled Ira is one of the best militia trainers in the game, but Hitman, Wolf, Ice, and Len all do fairly well at training militia, and Buns does a sort of okay job too (she hates Gumpy, though, so she probably won't sign on with you).