Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Hard to compress this one down enough, but

e: Aaaand part two

No way I can fit the really long one in under 2 megs :(

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Feb 24, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Gwaihir posted:

"Clarkson"'s power slide in the vett was more impressive.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Gwaihir posted:

Link it?

:)

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!

fivre posted:

He only watches the parts that only include James May, a la https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QypmXbwD1k

This was great, I think they both found a perfect match for each other!

On a side note, it's so hilarious that they made that car a Buick, sat in it at a local auto show (Regal GS) and the dealer told me it was the first manual Buick he had ever seen in his long time working there. He said the reason he was the one at the show was because he was the only employee at his dealership who could drive stick!

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

God they've gotten good with the music and editing since the first season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgZkhzLHJDM&t=73s

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

CLONE STAAAAMP

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Killbot posted:

Tanner can be a douche but the dude can certainly drive.

Show would be better if the other two could drive also.

D C posted:

CLONE STAAAAMP

Wonder what they had there that they had to clonestamp

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Fucknag posted:

God they've gotten good with the music and editing since the first season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgZkhzLHJDM&t=73s

Yeaaaa, at 1:30 this is the best shot. Not enough UNPH for that.

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

~what is art, baby dont post, dont post, no more~

no seriously don't post

Jusupov posted:

Show would be better if the other two could drive also.

Wonder what they had there that they had to clonestamp

Probably a road.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

jamal posted:

but then they wouldn't have the stig.

Tanner driving stuff is my favorite part of the US version.

The Stig doesn't actually do anything in Top Gear US. And I don't think they've really sold the idea of him/it as a character. You have to know The Stig from the UK series to get the point of him.

Also, as much as I love Warburton, they should really change the segment to "B-list Star in a 2nd Rate Car."

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Gwaihir posted:

Yeaaaa, at 1:30 this is the best shot. Not enough UNPH for that.

Yessssss that was exactly it. Loved it.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

CornHolio posted:

Next week's Top Gear US looks like it should be awesome.

Looks like they have to take a notoriously dangerous car, 'fix' what made it dangerous, and enter it in a demo derby. Looks like the cars end up being a Pinto, a Corvair, and a Suzuki Samurai, which was shown rolling violently.

Actually one of those wasn't originally all that dangerous until the safety features which no other car has to this day were ripped out because of cost saving measures.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

FogHelmut posted:

The Stig doesn't actually do anything in Top Gear US. And I don't think they've really sold the idea of him/it as a character. You have to know The Stig from the UK series to get the point of him.

Also, as much as I love Warburton, they should really change the segment to "B-list Star in a 2nd Rate Car."
I think the most they've done with him was with the moonshine challenge when he drove the police car...I think that's all they really need to do to establish the character more, have him involved with the challenges with Stig's non interactions with the hosts.

They probably should've just kept "star in a reasonably priced car", assuming the Suzuki is reasonably priced at least.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

CornHolio posted:

Next week's Top Gear US looks like it should be awesome.

Looks like they have to take a notoriously dangerous car, 'fix' what made it dangerous, and enter it in a demo derby. Looks like the cars end up being a Pinto, a Corvair, and a Suzuki Samurai, which was shown rolling violently.

So for the Corvair they just need to inflate the tires correctly? :v:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Fucknag posted:

So for the Corvair they just need to inflate the tires correctly? :v:
Personally, I think they should each pick a member of the general public/audience and have them do the challenges in order to figure out if the cars are actually dangerous to the layman or just dangerous to knobs.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
British judge throws out Tesla's lawsuit against Top Gear...again

C'mon, Tesla, accept defeat and move on already.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Spotted something better than the Challenger.

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave

Sockington posted:

Spotted something better than the Challenger.

haha, good eyes

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Quincy Smallvoice posted:

haha, good eyes
I'm blind, explain.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

ColHannibal posted:

I'm blind, explain.

AE86!

Rakekniven
Jun 4, 2000
Forum Veteran
Top Gear USA has really come a long way, but they still need to replace Adam. Tanner and Rutledge have both developed a host personality that's entertaining.

I agree about the US Stig being a little bit redundant though, they need to figure out a way to seperate him from Tanner.

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug
There was an interview I read somewhere where Rutledge actually said that Tanner is their Stig. The Stig is barely worth mention on TGUS though, so it's not a big deal.

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

I almost got run over by a Fisker here in Brooklyn while riding my bicycle the same day I watched the episode. Looked great, but gently caress it.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

I actually like Adam the best of the TGUS hosts personality-wise*, but dude's not a good driver. It's a shame that they're just not going to have any good speed-related challenges because the skill gap between Tanner and the other two is just too wide. I'm surprised the producers haven't at least sent him through a defensive driving course or something.

Is it me or do the studio segments seem like they're increasingly out of place in the US show? None of the challenges use their own track and it feels like the flow gets broken whenever they cut back to it. And whoever decided they needed to put those establishing shots of the car driving into the hangar was... wrong.

Still, with under 20 episodes down I'm impressed with how good the show's getting.

*The "fellas!" bit is getting old, though...

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Can someone explain to me why the Ferrari FF's AWD system is so much better than any other rear-biased AWD system (like ATTESA)? Because I'm not getting why people be jizzing over it.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Internet Meme posted:

Can someone explain to me why the Ferrari FF's AWD system is so much better than any other rear-biased AWD system (like ATTESA)? Because I'm not getting why people be jizzing over it.

It weighs less overall and allows the engine to sit lower in the chassis. I don't think people are jizzing over it...both Clarkson and the posters in this thread feel it's a bit of a miss.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

AlmightyPants posted:

There was an interview I read somewhere where Rutledge actually said that Tanner is their Stig. The Stig is barely worth mention on TGUS though, so it's not a big deal.

I'm quite sure Tanner is US Stig. US Stig tends to get cars sideways more than necessary on the track...very similar driving style to Tanner.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Tricky Ed posted:

I actually like Adam the best of the TGUS hosts personality-wise*, but dude's not a good driver. It's a shame that they're just not going to have any good speed-related challenges because the skill gap between Tanner and the other two is just too wide. I'm surprised the producers haven't at least sent him through a defensive driving course or something.

Is it me or do the studio segments seem like they're increasingly out of place in the US show? None of the challenges use their own track and it feels like the flow gets broken whenever they cut back to it. And whoever decided they needed to put those establishing shots of the car driving into the hangar was... wrong.

Still, with under 20 episodes down I'm impressed with how good the show's getting.

*The "fellas!" bit is getting old, though...

Americans are stupid and would probably complain wondering how the star got from the track to the studio.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Ola posted:

It weighs less overall and allows the engine to sit lower in the chassis. I don't think people are jizzing over it...both Clarkson and the posters in this thread feel it's a bit of a miss.
Considering how over-complicated it is, I would hate to see the bills if that front diff goes in it

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

You Am I posted:

Considering its design, I would hate to see the bills if it breaks

I have edited your post in order to make it applicable to every Ferrari ever made.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755
I'm on my tear through Top Gear, beginning S2E5 right now. I do hope the Car Sales Talks end soon, although James May's dulcet tones work far better than Jason Dawes' blubbery garble in such segments.

Also of note, I was messing about with VLC settings:

Terrifying.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Internet Meme posted:

It's not, I dont think anyone is overly impressed.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
Goddamn it Clarksons teeth let down the side.

djdanno13
Apr 20, 2004

Killing Nazi Zombies since June 14 1775

Cojawfee posted:

Americans are stupid and would probably complain wondering how the star got from the track to the studio.

I don't get why they have to start the BsSc segment with the star at the track and doing the lap first? It just all seems so oddly timed. Especially since they then mention about their time with stig.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
In the Pony Express challenge, I would have begged the producers to let me drive the Stang on the grass and dirt route. It'd pretty much be the best part of Vanishing Point :black101:

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Feb 26, 2012

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Matlock posted:

I'm on my tear through Top Gear, beginning S2E5 right now. I do hope the Car Sales Talks end soon, although James May's dulcet tones work far better than Jason Dawes' blubbery garble in such segments.

I believe they end after season 2. Seasons 3 and 4 are where the show really got into its groove.

Killbot
Jun 19, 2003

You know, you kids really ought to stop getting involved with this stuff.

Tricky Ed posted:

I like how Adam keeps Tanner in line, usually by insinuating something about his sexuality.

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp
I started watching the early 'new' top gear, and the first thing that struck me was how empty the studio was, the second thing that struck me was Clarkson creaming himself over a loving Citron van.
I really didn't mind the consumer stuff, I wish they actually had more affordable cars on the show instead of exoticia.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
They are replaying a film from the last Top Gear DVD?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
Nm

jojoinnit fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Feb 26, 2012