Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Yep, she's a shiba.

Bonus photo of Ike and Juno assisting with some yard work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nolen
Apr 4, 2004

butts.

Steve French posted:

We learned yesterday that Juno's dislike for jackets exceeds her love for balls:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gN2oGdHVXE8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zah4pgfwaXw

Mona does both of these things!

From the "ears sideways, excited shake" to the "gently caress this, i'm not moving until you remove these clothes" look.

Repost from earlier in the thread:

Tibby
Mar 24, 2004

happy bamboo cup

Steve French posted:

We learned yesterday that Juno's dislike for jackets exceeds her love for balls:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gN2oGdHVXE8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zah4pgfwaXw

I particularly like the part in the first vid where she's clearly thinking "gently caress giving this ball back, it's MINE!"

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Hi, we recently picked up a Siberian-ish dog from the shelter and am trying to pinpoint her exact breed or if she is a mix since she seems to be an pretty unusual dog (to me at least). Here are some pictures, she is about 10 months old and pretty underweight since I guess she wasn't a fan of being in the shelter:

As you can see in the last picture, she straight up looks like a llama from the back. Her frame is really lean and lanky compared to what you would see from a Siberian and her coat isn't nearly as think, but I hesitate to say she is a mix because whoever the Siberian parent was would have had really dominant genes I guess. My wife thinks she looks most like a Seppala, but from what I understand they are pretty rare. Any ideas?

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

My dog thinks he's a pretty lady.

She could be a husky aussie mix.

Whatever she is, she is darn cute. I love the llama. :3:

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?
Yeah for whatever reason I'm seeing some kind of collie/sheepdog in her. What a cutie.

Nione
Jun 3, 2006

Welcome to Trophy Island
Rub my tummy
A question for you guys about chows - do they have the same type of coats as huskies, the kind that you can't shave down or they'll permanently be messed up? I ask this because Saturday a woman brought her chow/corgi mix (seriously the most adorable, stumpy legged, fluffy dog I've EVER seen) into the shop to get groomed. The mardi gras pet parade was yesterday and they ended up deciding to shave him like a lion. It was the awesomest thing I've ever seen, completely shaved on the back legs/hindquarters with fur gradually increasing in length over his shoulders to a big puffy mane on his head. Oh, and she left long hairs on the very tip of his tail. I'm pretty sure EVERY fluffy short-legged dog should be shaved like this, but was curious about it messing up his coat?

Also, a woman who works with Midwest Akita Rescue came in and tried to get me to adopt an Akita/ACD mix named Romeo that they just got in. He's in foster right now, but they don't have him on their website yet or I'd post pictures. He's smaller than an average Akita, almost all white with the darker markings around his eyes/ears and freckles on his nose! But I can't imagine the level of crazy that would result from an Akita/ACD mix. Definitely not a good fit for us, and we can't have a dog anyway! SO tempting, though.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Yeah, thanks I do see a bit of sheepdog in her as well I think. It is a bit strange since she is every bit Siberian in mannerism (she does the husky sleep ball and will talk/howl occasionally) and general appearance. But her frame is really large so I guess she will probably be a massive dog someday. I didn't think Siberans got that big but I am no expert by any means

For some context, here is her next to our Bluetick who isn't exactly small.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

REBIRTH OF HARDCORE PRIDE!

Nione posted:

A question for you guys about chows - do they have the same type of coats as huskies, the kind that you can't shave down or they'll permanently be messed up?

Yes. I'm pretty positive they have a double coat that should not be shaved.

Goetta posted:

But her frame is really large so I guess she will probably be a massive dog someday. I didn't think Siberans got that big but I am no expert by any means

Generally they don't, they are roughly 40-65lbs but since she's a mix it's a little up in the air. She is adorable though and you shouldn't hesitate to post ridiculous amounts of pictures in this thread.

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

Nione posted:

Chow coats?

Yeah, they shouldn't be shaved (I wouldn't, anyway. Besides, they have lovely coats!). I've seen a lot of chow owners do this cut, though, including a former Detroit Lion who lived across the street from the hub's old house. :3:

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

Goetta posted:

Yeah, thanks I do see a bit of sheepdog in her as well I think. It is a bit strange since she is every bit Siberian in mannerism (she does the husky sleep ball and will talk/howl occasionally) and general appearance. But her frame is really large so I guess she will probably be a massive dog someday. I didn't think Siberans got that big but I am no expert by any means

Looks like a Husky/Border Collie mix to me. She's just gorgeous.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.
So, interesting news. The trainer we're planning on working with for Tonka (foster pit)is a local Shiba breeder who has actually titled Shibas and Akitas in Obedience. She also runs the tri-state Shiba rescue.

And apparently she also has Kai Ken, which is awesome.

Am I correct in assuming that anyone who can excel in Obedience with Japanese primitive breeds should know their poo poo?! :xd:

My sister in law is so surprised and pleased with how well Ghost has settled in. Aside from being a leash puller, and her dog Scylla regarding him as devil-spawn, he is really REALLY well behaved for a 9 month puppy who had no prior training.
And he's a pretty, pretty boy!

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast
We had a little visitor last week while her masters were sunning it up in Mexico. She was a bit defensive to Niko's attempts at play at first but by the end of her stay she was routinely antagonizing him and breaking her housedog mold by running around in our backyard and getting dirty.

Emi, looking about twice as large as she really is for some reason

Niko relaxing in peace, away from that crazy little bitch

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Goetta posted:

Hi, we recently picked up a Siberian-ish dog from the shelter and am trying to pinpoint her exact breed

How much does she weigh, and how tall at the shoulder? Yeah, huskies are SUPPOSED to be small, but there are tons of BYBs out there who think otherwise. :rolleyes: There are plenty of oversized huskies out there that are "purebred". She could just be a skinny, oversized, piebald husky. :3:

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

TVs Ian posted:

So, interesting news. The trainer we're planning on working with for Tonka (foster pit)is a local Shiba breeder who has actually titled Shibas and Akitas in Obedience. She also runs the tri-state Shiba rescue.

And apparently she also has Kai Ken, which is awesome.

Am I correct in assuming that anyone who can excel in Obedience with Japanese primitive breeds should know their poo poo?! :xd:

Aaah, no poo poo, you know Pam? That's awesome, she's a very cool lady. :3: I actually almost got a dog from her before we got Koji, but she talked to me on the phone for quite some time to get a feel and tell me what I should be looking for.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

paisleyfox posted:

Aaah, no poo poo, you know Pam? That's awesome, she's a very cool lady. :3: I actually almost got a dog from her before we got Koji, but she talked to me on the phone for quite some time to get a feel and tell me what I should be looking for.

We live like not even 20 minutes from her but she and my wife have emailed back and forth a bit over the years. Pam was always teaching at facilities a bit beyond our spending limit on gas but now that we both work closer to home AND she's teaching at our vets office this is so going to happen!

Still waiting on our actual on-the-phone consult but it IS Westminster week so, we kind of expected a lag :)

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

Don't let anyone tell you the Shiba isn't poised and graceful. WHAT. MAJESTY.

Pretty_Llama
Nov 11, 2009

Goetta posted:

Both of our siberians were skinny just like that when we first got them, and then filled out to a more appropriate weight as they got older. I think we got them both when they were between a year and two years old and each weighed roughly 30 pounds, with a really awkward lanky frame. Now they are both at 50 pounds or so (depending how lazy they get and how much I spoil them) and look like a "normal" husky.

Either way she is really nice looking, I love the llama comparison!

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

I have a random Shiba question, how are they with other dogs? I've been pretty obsessed with Shibas for a while, and we own another dog who can be nervous around some dogs, but is getting a lot better. My current dog is pretty lazy and is a lab/American bulldog mix, but we wanted a slightly more energetic dog eventually because there's an 8 year old here, and we're considering getting a dog he can play with and roughhouse with a little, as our current dog doesn't really play at all, just kind of lazes around (and because I would like a dog that might draw him out of his shell).

Basically the house dynamic is that I work at home and take care of the 8 year old most of the time, and I'm 20 weeks pregnant currently (I'm not planning on getting the shiba until sometime next year or the year after) but basically I'll be doing most of the walking, training, and socializing which I am totally okay with, but my roommate (who is the 8 year old's dad) will take really long walks or runs with both dogs in the evening and a medium walk (like a half mile) in the morning, and I'll be walking 3-4 times during the day. So there will be plenty of exercise since this apartment doesn't have a backyard.

So :words: in summary: there's two adults (one home full time), will be an infant (that will not be left alone with either dog), an 8 year old, and another dog, all in a two story apartment (it's more like a townhouse I guess, though), with several daily walks and runs. Does that sound like a pretty okay setup for a shiba inu?

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

Yeah, though I'd definitely recommend an adult if you wanted to get one while your baby was still a baby/toddler. Be prepared that there might be some rescues that will see a child that young and be wary to adopt to you, too.

It's also a lot easier to judge the personality of the dog when they are already an adult (or at least young adult.) Koji thinks kids are fascinating and walking treat dispensers, while at the same time, hasn't met a dog he didn't like (which isn't always necessarily a good thing, but he's agile and charismatic enough nothing has happened. Yet.) One off my friend's Shibas LOVES kids but is extremely picky and snarky around dogs. The other Shiba is terrified of kids and is a bit snarky around dogs (but this one is all talk.) I mean, if you want a Shiba as a second dog, they make wonderful family pets. If you find the right one, that is. ;)

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

I'm not a Shiba expert, but any that I've met have been very hands-off and not interested in rough housing or other physical forms of interaction.

I think the breed in general is not well suited for interacting with kids. Individual dogs may vary.

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

a life less posted:

I'm not a Shiba expert, but any that I've met have been very hands-off and not interested in rough housing or other physical forms of interaction.

I think the breed in general is not well suited for interacting with kids. Individual dogs may vary.

Well, and also know that rough housing, at least as I've experienced it, always involves mouthing. Koji chews on my arm and makes for a mad dash at anything he can grab. It hurts sometimes and playtime like that is something we worked very long and hard on Koji learning when it is and isn't appropriate. They are extremely mouthy, especially when riled up (and even WORSE as puppies.) My dog is also pretty standoffish. My friend's dog claims laps in the name of Jirtonia. I'd say he's the exception rather than the norm, though the older they get, the more...close they seem to like to be. Koji's new thing is to suck up to guests who come in, especially when they sit on the floor. They have their own version of closeness, which many people see as "they don't love me, they aren't listening." They just have their own agenda, is all.

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

I'll probably get something else anyways (as my excuse is basically BUT I REALLY LOVE SHIBAS) but I'm planning on getting a dog that's around a year or two old, regardless of breed. Would primitive breeds in general be recommended in that kind of situation or would I be better sticking with something else? My roommate honestly doesn't mind most breeds as long as it's not so small or of a body type that our stairs or kid would present a problem for it.

The kid currently doesn't roughhouse as is, but I figured something that would want to play at all would be okay with him, but he bruises easy so mouthing probably wouldn't factor in well.

We're considering a lot of different dogs, so I just wanted to see what the sthoughts for shibas might be. Sounds like we might be better off with a different breed, which is fine by me. :3:
We didn't want a husky or mal because apartment, plus we've owned high-energy dogs which I know huskies can tend to be (never owned a mal though) and we both would prefer something a little more low-key, but still playful.
Sooo Shibas probably wouldn't be our best bet, but thanks for the input anyways. I might get one much later in life, but for now we're probably better off getting something different.

Pretty Cool Name
Jan 8, 2010

wat

Socialize, socialize, socialize and be very careful with the kid and you should be fine, really.

Kiri koli
Jun 20, 2005
Also, I can kill you with my brain.

Pretty Cool Name posted:

Socialize, socialize, socialize and be very careful with the kid and you should be fine, really.

I would add that, if you're getting an older dog, to make sure you select one with a known history that was well socialized as a puppy. It isn't trivial to socialize an older dog who wasn't socialized well as a puppy and may have hidden issues. Personally, I wouldn't adopt a primitive breed dog while I had a small child. Primitive breeds are in general pretty independent and can be very unforgiving. Not that they can't be great around kids, but I would just want to know the dog really well and to have their body language down cold before handling one and a young child. Actually, I'd feel the same way for pretty much any dog, but I'm super paranoid, so ymmv.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

You know what's really cute? A whole herd of Shibas laying beached in the sunshine in a kennel yard.

You know what's really annoying? A Kai Ken barking the entire time you're trying to do an obedience lesson. :3:

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

WolfensteinBag posted:

How much does she weigh, and how tall at the shoulder? Yeah, huskies are SUPPOSED to be small, but there are tons of BYBs out there who think otherwise. :rolleyes: There are plenty of oversized huskies out there that are "purebred". She could just be a skinny, oversized, piebald husky. :3:

She is about 22" from the top of the shoulder to the ground. She is probably somewhere between 35-40 pounds now that she is starting to put on some weight after a few weeks of good food.

e: Here is another picture

GOOD TIMES ON METH fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Feb 26, 2012

Kiri koli
Jun 20, 2005
Also, I can kill you with my brain.

Goetta posted:

OH GOD, WHAT IS THAT THING!? PLEASE DON'T STEAL My SOOOOOOOUL!!!!

nolen
Apr 4, 2004

butts.
Yesterday was Mona's birthday.

Entering her young 20s (3 years-old).

Shebrew
Jul 12, 2006

Is it a party?

nolen posted:

Yesterday was Mona's birthday.

Entering her young 20s (3 years-old).

I love that her face seems to just read disappointment that her cake isn't bigger.

Happy (belated) birthday! :toot:

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

:toot: Happy Birthday, Mona!

I have some new tricks to teach Koji now. :3:

http://youtu.be/cg5wx80P-Zs?hd=1

BuG
May 3, 2002
Kitsune <3<3<3
A Kody and Mishka update, Kody sure has grown over the last few months!

Him during the snow still looking tiny!

Him hanging with Mishka and wanting some treats!

Him taking up a whole queen sized bed to himself!

And the final one of him looking huge with a wrecked kitchen in the background.

He's just about 7 months now so he can only get bigger which is going to be lots of fun and games :)

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Goetta posted:

She is about 22" from the top of the shoulder to the ground. She is probably somewhere between 35-40 pounds now that she is starting to put on some weight after a few weeks of good food.

Believe it or not, she's actually in standard:

Siberian Husky Standard posted:

Height: Dogs, 21 to 23 1/2 inches at the withers. Bitches, 20 to 22 inches at the withers.
Weight: Dogs, 45 to 60 pounds. Bitches, 35 to 50 pounds. Weight is in proportion to height. The measurements mentioned above represent the extreme height and weight limits with no preference given to either extreme.

lizardking
Feb 5, 2010

Hail to the fucking Victors

BuG posted:

A Kody and Mishka update, Kody sure has grown over the last few months!

Him during the snow still looking tiny!

Him hanging with Mishka and wanting some treats!

Him taking up a whole queen sized bed to himself!

And the final one of him looking huge with a wrecked kitchen in the background.

He's just about 7 months now so he can only get bigger which is going to be lots of fun and games :)

I want to steal your dog, holy poo poo so cute! One day when I have the space and requisite money...

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

Shiba Mom from Hi-Jinx Shibas exercising her pups. If I wanted to get a B&T puppy, I'd absolutely try to get a Hi-Jinx, I love Pat's dogs. I think I exploded from the cute puppies. :3: They were born late January this year.

Porterhaus
Jun 6, 2006

Zero to Gyro

paisleyfox posted:

Shiba Mom from Hi-Jinx Shibas exercising her pups. If I wanted to get a B&T puppy, I'd absolutely try to get a Hi-Jinx, I love Pat's dogs. I think I exploded from the cute puppies. :3: They were born late January this year.

As the soon to be proud owner of one of these adorable black and tans, I approve this post. She sent me this video earlier today and I must have watched it at least 50 times already. I was seriously just about to post this. Are you based out of the midwest Paisley?

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

SHUT UP I am SO jealous! :swoon:

I'm actually in Texas, I help run the Shiba Rescue of Texas down here. I just love Pat Doescher's dogs so much, she's got the best B&Ts.

Which one are you getting? :3:

Porterhaus
Jun 6, 2006

Zero to Gyro

paisleyfox posted:

Which one are you getting? :3:

I'm doing the good owner thing and letting her choose. I do know that it will be one of the male black and tans. She has stated they are all so "good natured" and similar in temperament that she is having trouble deciding. She welcomed me waiting until the ninth week to pick mine up so that she had an extra week to decide which one she was keeping. I'll be sure to pass along which one he is when I find out for sure!

(Also, check out my post in the new owner thread and let me know if there is anything I'm missing.)

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

Ooh, I'm excited for you! :D She won't do you wrong.

And if you don't post a million pictures when you get him, I'm coming after you and claiming your puppy as my own. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

REBIRTH OF HARDCORE PRIDE!
I don't remember if I posted about all of it in here, the training thread or the random thread, but as some of you may know we were in a really lovely situation since May 2011 where we couldn't use our backyard in the house we were renting because the neighbors had a Doberman that constantly attacked the fence if our dogs were out there. Kaidan's separation anxiety really started ramping up this year in part because he hadn't been outdoors offleash in 6+ months, and he loves exploring, running (but bad hips), and just laying around outside. I was walking him 2+ miles a day and training him often for stimulation but the destruction kept happening, we'd come back within 90 minutes to his crate pad being torn up, and holes in the carpet outside the crate from him reaching through the bars and scratching (compare this to his old self where 4 hours was no issue).

The rest of the story regarding the landlord is all pretty E/N but we started looking to buy a house at the end of January and we closed early last week! We got all moved in over the weekend and we are mostly settled and the dogs just love it. They are super excited to have a yard again. Since Sunday we've had to leave them for a couple 1-2ish hour stretches due to overlap in school/work schedules and Kaidan hasn't even as much as ruffled his crate bedding. I expected him to adjust over time and get back to where he was but drat this was just instant. I'm so proud of him :3:

Here's a picture of him in the new house a couple days before we actually moved in. The two collars is because he gets fussy about his collar tags when the leash is connected next to them so I use a separate collar for the leash when we go on walks, I just hadn't taken it off yet. I'll be taking way more pictures again in the near future once the weather turns around.

• Locked thread