Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
That is actually much more respectable. Roping people into your imaginary world to make yourself feel special, that is just pathetic. Roping people into your imaginary world to take their money -- why, that is what most entertainment is about!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

Shbobdb posted:

That is actually much more respectable. Roping people into your imaginary world to make yourself feel special, that is just pathetic. Roping people into your imaginary world to take their money -- why, that is what most entertainment is about!

I just had the saddest thought of a fat, lonely man in Nigeria sending dozens of emails every night. He doesn't even want to trick people into sending him money, he just wants to be called a princess :smith:

slow dive
Mar 13, 2007

Father Lucifer, you never looked so sane.

Wedemeyer posted:

Holy hell you are lucky it wasn't as bad or crazy as that Final Fantasy house :psyduck: There wasn't any 'gifting' of money or expensive jrock items, were there?

I do count myself as lucky as I never feared for my life. There hardly ever any food in the house. Janelle would yell at me or get angry at me for eating what little we did. The place would've been a sty if not for Mimi's OCD, Janelle never lifted a finger to help clean around the house but Mimi would go into conniptions if the place was even a little dirty, so she and I kept it clean. Janelle would spend long hours asleep during the day and then stay up all night typing, texting, or chatting on the phone with muses and engaging in phone and cyber sex. Or regular sex if one of her muse pals was staying over, which happened nearly once a month toward the end.

The fact still remains that nearly everyone I knew fell into the muse scene and Janelle manipulated my own friends into paying more attention to me than her by having their muses engage in relationships, and then sexual relations. Like the FF House person I tried to avoid being home as much as possible, hanging out in the cemetery next to my apartments until daylight ran out. One day I came home from having been out all day (I worked my fast food job, showered and changed clothes and left again) to find Janelle seated in the living room listening to Tokio Hotel, which is a German band I find to be terrible.

I just knew this meant she would say she would soon have a Bill (makeup-wearing vocalist of the band) muse, since it was a band Mimi and Sarah loved, and I asked her to take it to her own room so I could have some peace and quiet on my own space, since I slept in there and she had one of the bedrooms. We argued over it and I ended up storming out, just walking around the highway for hours feeling trapped and not knowing what I would do. There was no end in sight. She threatened to call the cops and tell them I was suicidal, and then she called my parents to talk to me, though it was late at night.

When she did come to get me, it was as one of her muses, stern-faced, saying 'Janelle was very upset and worried with you. You can't treat her like that, she really worries.'

AS for gifts, Jrock collector's stuff has always been expensive. Nothing particularly stands out in terms of gifting things, but she did pay for expensive dates and outings for her friends-as-muses, taking them on lavish dates she could hardly afford. She sent some muse flowers after a fight, and many things like that. She also went all the way to London to visit other musey friends. It was definitely something she threw a lot of money at, and she definitely used money to spoil the housers of any muses her muses were banging. Except me, of course, because as her boyfriend, I had already been secured.

Re: LJRP. You take a lot of people who are playing a game that centers around pretending to be other people and detaching from reality. Since it's online, you're generally not all that accountable for your behavior toward others. To say that there's drama is to say that water is wet. I don't know that it bears that much discussion unless people really think they're there characters. Even people becoming offended and holding grudges on behalf of their characters if fairly commonplace. Yet all I can say is that it's still less crazy than what I went through with Janelle.

General Panic
Jan 28, 2012
AN ERORIST AGENT

Guesticles posted:

Can you explain to me exactly what's going on with that situation (and what country this story takes place in)? Lady was renting property, and tenants were trying to buy it?

(I don't want to derail, but i'm really curious and you don't have PMs)

It was in England, she owned a property with a couple of flats let on long leases (like, 99 years long - effectively, the tenants owned those flats, it wasn't just like renting somewhere from week to week or month to month).The tenants wanted to buy ownership of the whole property from her. The law in England allows tenants of flats on long leases to club together and buy the owner out. It's called "leasehold enfranchisement."

What really pissed her off was that the tenants had put a notice on the title register so the world knew they were doing this. She couldn't just sell the place over their heads and gently caress off. Anyone sensible would just have haggled with them for the best price. She ended up taking it to court, and losing.

sweetroy
May 23, 2011
thats a space bar

man i hate yall
FINALLY caught up with this thread, I'd like to add to the wave of "jesus christ what" being thrown towards the people in those stories. This is.... substantially more tame than those.

I'd just started an IT course at TAFE, which is like community college for Americans. At first everyone was a bit awkward around each other, but the shared experience of being a nerd was enough to get most of us to talk to each other, and eventually bond. One of these guys, I'm gonna call him John, kind of kept to himself and mostly just stared at his laptop. Over the first few weeks, when he did talk, he dropped a few references to being a 4chan user and added the occasional joke to whatever conversation was happening at the time. Assuming he was just a typical nerd who was bad at social skills (he was far from the worst), I tried to include him in conversation and get him to open up.

For a few months everything went okay, everyone became mates and chatted to each other, until one day we had to do some group project and someone offhandedly asked him to grab us a company logo. He turns to a mate of mine (who is also a fellow goon) and says "Hey, how about we use this?"

I have never seen anyones face drop quite like it. The smile that had previously been on his face just drained away, and he physically recoiled from the screen, before staring at John's beaming face for a good five seconds. Apparently it was a highly detailed rendering of Naruto and Sakuro having sex while Sakura was cut into pieces. Yep.

:stonk: WHY WOULD YOU SHOW ME THAT? WHY DO YOU HAVE THAT?
:reject: Maybe we could use that!
:stonk: WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU? WHY DO YOU HAVE THAT?
:reject: Because Sakura is a whore!
:stonk: (completely not hearing what John is saying) WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU

My poor goon mate walked out and we didn't see him for a little while, and John sort of looked around at the rest of us who hadn't seen it, and sat back down. Evidently that reaction got through to him because we got a wordart image as the project logo. This set the tone for our future interactions with him.

Another time, as we walked into class from break, we saw that he'd been sitting at one of the computer bays watching something on his own. We walked over to him, and just as he turned to look at us we saw the screen. I'm not sure why he thought it would be socially acceptable to watch Panty and Stocking With Garterbelt in a public place but he had, and just over his shoulder I could see subtitled anime people going at it. He gave us one of his somewhat unhinged grins and asked us if we wanted to watch it.

We declined.

The final and probably worst thing is unfortunately partially my fault. A friend and I were talking about the new MLP series, and he overheard. He came over with the typical 4chan attitude about it, and we both essentially just said "Okay, well we're going to be over here talking about it. Bye." He walked off and we thought no more of it until a few days later, when he came in with a gigantic grin on his face, sat down in front of us and said "I'm a brony."

He started watching episodes in class, started wearing tshirts with ponies on them, changed his facebook picture to ponies, and would gush at us about his favourite episodes. He slowly drifted towards the seedier areas of the fandom (read: most of the fandom), and the last I saw he'd changed his steam display picture from the lizard pinup he'd had before (did I mention he was a furry?) to some pony gore picture. He's been blocked ever since.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Commissar posted:

Another time, as we walked into class from break, we saw that he'd been sitting at one of the computer bays watching something on his own. We walked over to him, and just as he turned to look at us we saw the screen. I'm not sure why he thought it would be socially acceptable to watch Panty and Stocking With Garterbelt in a public place but he had, and just over his shoulder I could see subtitled anime people going at it. He gave us one of his somewhat unhinged grins and asked us if we wanted to watch it.

what amuses me about this part of the story is that that show had a lot of open contempt for this kind of guy, it showed fantasy obsessed people like this guy as having their own "classroom for losers" in the literal sewer with toilets for desks.

most otakus HATED the show.

moonsour
Feb 13, 2007

Ortowned
Hopefully I can provide some insight into "the other side" and the why behind a lot of really weird things some people in this thread do.

I was "that kid" for the longest time. I also knew a couple weirdos as well, AND if anyone's curious I can try to remember some stories from my time on Sanguinarius (the vampire forum). I was a regular in their IRC channel, and regularly chatted with Sangi as well as SphynxCatVP, both of whom have been goon targets in the past. At one point I assisted the website with answering member-submitted questions, and deleting the troll submissions.

I didn't start going off the "deep end" until sometime in 8th grade, and went completely weird once I hit high school, when I met Ronda (name changed, obv). Ronda has had her own kinds of DeviantArt drama, as well as being so socially awkward that I witnessed her own father laugh as he said she would die a virgin. If I can remember specific stories, I'll post them. She's nowhere near as batshit as other posts in this thread.

My own awkwardness stemmed from the fact that I was home alone A LOT. I was the only child of a single mom, so once I started going home after school in 5th grade instead of daycare, I was left to my own devices, whatever they may be. I suck at recalling the order of things, so I'll just divide them by subject instead.

The Smelly Kid
I was the smelly, greasy kid. I was very uncomfortable talking to my mom about anything, and she gave up trying to get me to regularly brush my teeth around 2nd grade. Stickers, rewards, etc. were completely ineffective, and she threw her hands up.

My mom never showers; only takes baths, so that's what I did. I took a bath once or twice a week, and I considered that to be clean. I only ever really washed my hair, since I didn't really think there was "a point" in washing the rest of me, since it was soaking in soapy water. :downs:

Like I said, I was uncomfortable talking about personal things with her, so when I started to hit puberty I "hid" it from her. I didn't lie or anything, she just never asked. She knew since she was doing the laundry and I was using her pads, but to this day (I'm 24) I have never talked with her about periods or anything that I can recall.

I put off wearing deodorant for a long time, because I was scared to ask her about that too. When it started to be an unavoidable thing, I just used her's. Same goes for shaving. My mom never taught me about shaving, or how to do it. I just started using her razor and a bar of soap.

I rarely brushed my hair, even though it was super long. I usually only brushed it after a bath, which as I mentioned was bi-weekly. I did eventually switch to showers, but it was pretty much the same routine, just standing instead of sitting.

All these things, coupled with being relatively poor, meant I looked like total poo poo, and though I won't say my mom didn't care, she put no effort into shaping me up. Knowing her she probably figured she'd just let me do my thing, or something.

I could not smell myself. I had no idea how bad it was except for days when I forgot to wear deodorant, or hadn't felt like taking a shower for 5+ days. Even then I usually figured I could hide it by just not raising my arm in class. I had a few friends, but none of them told me any of this. They never said my breath reeked, or that I had major BO, or that I smelled like cigarette smoke 24/7 because my mom is a chimney.
E: Sometimes classmates would ask bluntly, "Why do you smell?" but who takes poo poo like that seriously when they're not your friend, and to the best of your knowledge talks poo poo about you?

I maintain to this day that if I had known the full extent of my "reputation" in high school, I could certainly have begin my road to building up my executive functions much quicker. I've been diagnosed with depression since then, and things are going much better.

I'm willing to answer questions on the "super gross, how the gently caress did you live with yourself" aspects of being a social leper. :) I'm not perfect, but I'm much better now. I credit much of my improvement to SA, oddly enough, but that's another story. :)

Taking requests for:
Psychic Vampire
The Vampire Meetup
Animorphs! The love square
The Pokemon Trainers' Table
Animorphs out! N*Sync in!
Ronda is a Biter
The internet makes it... All better?

moonsour fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Feb 24, 2012

Guesticles
Dec 21, 2009

I AM CURRENTLY JACKING OFF TO PICTURES OF MUTILATED FEMALE CORPSES, IT'S ALL VERY DEEP AND SOPHISTICATED BUT IT'S JUST TOO FUCKING HIGHBROW FOR YOU NON-MISOGYNISTS TO UNDERSTAND

:siren:P.S. STILL COMPLETELY DEVOID OF MERIT:siren:

General Panic posted:

It was in England, she owned a property with a couple of flats let on long leases (like, 99 years long - effectively, the tenants owned those flats, it wasn't just like renting somewhere from week to week or month to month).The tenants wanted to buy ownership of the whole property from her. The law in England allows tenants of flats on long leases to club together and buy the owner out. It's called "leasehold enfranchisement."

What really pissed her off was that the tenants had put a notice on the title register so the world knew they were doing this. She couldn't just sell the place over their heads and gently caress off. Anyone sensible would just have haggled with them for the best price. She ended up taking it to court, and losing.

I figured that was what was going on, but that's what confused me; why didn't she just negotiate with tenants? Mental disease aside, selling the place should be selling the place, right? :confused:

Lazaruise
Jan 25, 2009
Little Miss RKO, just post them all it'll be interesting to see it from the other side.

moonsour
Feb 13, 2007

Ortowned

Lazaruise posted:

Little Miss RKO, just post them all it'll be interesting to see it from the other side.

I can't sleep, so I'll get to writing about Ronda shortly. I'm still debating exactly how much information I want to make public, since a good portion of it has never been seen by or told to anyone.

Fake edit: On second thought, the pokemon table was in 6th grade, and thusly happened first. Awkward 11 year olds, coming right up!

Real edit: Gonna edit the pokemon table into this post, since I don't think it's really all that long, and I guess pretty :smith: if you think about it too hard.

The Pokemon Lunch Table

In 6th grade my school had those lunch tables in the gym that folded out of the wall. Because it was a rather crowded school, there were an additional two tables on top of the stage. One of those was "our" table.

I have no idea HOW it started, but the group had all been excitedly Pokemon red/blue which had just been released! I didn't own a gameboy, but I was determined to get myself into this group. Even though I didn't have the game, and didn't even own a game system beyond a NES (this was in 1998/99), I asked my mom to buy me the game guide, so I could see all the different pokemon, and read about what they were all doing!

As they all progressed through the game, they began to assign each other pokemon types, generally basing them around all the gym leaders. I, ever the hanger-on, asked what I could be. I was delegated to electric, and immediately formed my team going from the strategy guide. I was completely baffled by everyone's recounting how they captured their pokemon, and kept wondering why I wasn't "finding" any for myself. They were catching new ones that weren't even their type, so I should too!

It's really hard for me to place myself back into the logic of an socially starved 11 year old girl, but I do remember searching around my room for places where "pokemon might live". The next day at school I told everyone I caught an oddish in my potted plant at home, and if they batted an eye at that, I sure didn't see it. So I carried on like that, just making up places where I would catch pokemon, so I could talk to the others at the lunch table about it.

I'm fairly sure that I didn't believe I was ACTUALLY catching pokemon, but I definitely remember trying as hard as I possibly could to see them.

As an aside, one of the boys, Randy, had the same guide as me. My book had a slightly bent binding, but was in very good shape. One day I couldn't find my book anywhere and was justifiably upset. Either the next day, or the same day, Randy hands me the book. Except all the pages were falling out. I asked him what happened to it, and he said he didn't know. Later at lunch, Randy takes out his own book, and the binding was loving bent.

I never called him on it, since I didn't believe I had enough proof to convince anybody, but whenever I see him at conventions, a small part of me still thinks, gently caress you, Randy.

Like I said, this one's minimally crazy, and more the desperate acts of a little girl to try to fit in, but to those other kids at the table I may very well have sounded totally batshit to them, which is why I'm including it. The crazy from the other side.

moonsour fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Feb 24, 2012

Lyz
May 22, 2007

I AM A GIRL ON WOW GIVE ME ITAMS

Commissar posted:

We declined.

Could be like one guy I knew in college, who would brag about setting his wallpaper to porn and leaving it out in the open where people could see it while he "went to the bathroom," to gross them out. Usually pointed at groups of women, of course. This guy was massively obese and abrasive and rude to everyone, so I guess he thought he had to be even more gross to get revenge on everyone for not liking him.

Finally I got fed up with his bragging about his idiotic means of trolling everyone and told him that he'd LOVE tubgirl.com. I guess that was a bit too gross for even him so he mostly left me alone after that. Sometimes, the dregs of the internet can come in handy.

skipThings
May 21, 2007

Tell me more about this
"Wireless fun-adaptor" you were speaking of.

Lyz posted:

fat, rude goony person

Interesting, I knew one of those as well, he wore a button down shirts with Hentai imagery on it and bragged about how there is no hentai genre he didn't know of

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I'm still trying to figure out why, even if you're into misogynist snuff porn, you would ever suggest it as a logo for a school project. How disconnected from reality do you have to be to think that eviseceratedsakura.jpg is going to look good on a Powerpoint in front of your professor?

Valex
Nov 28, 2009

by astral
It was probably a joke, albeit an incredibly unfunny one

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Valex posted:

It was probably a joke, albeit an incredibly unfunny one

Yes, while other people might have done Goatse or Lemon Party he chose Naurto Guro porn. :stare:

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Little Miss RKO posted:

Hopefully I can provide some insight into "the other side" and the why behind a lot of really weird things some people in this thread do.

I was "that kid" for the longest time. I also knew a couple weirdos as well, AND if anyone's curious I can try to remember some stories from my time on Sanguinarius (the vampire forum). I was a regular in their IRC channel, and regularly chatted with Sangi as well as SphynxCatVP, both of whom have been goon targets in the past. At one point I assisted the website with answering member-submitted questions, and deleting the troll submissions.

I didn't start going off the "deep end" until sometime in 8th grade, and went completely weird once I hit high school, when I met Ronda (name changed, obv). Ronda has had her own kinds of DeviantArt drama, as well as being so socially awkward that I witnessed her own father laugh as he said she would die a virgin. If I can remember specific stories, I'll post them. She's nowhere near as batshit as other posts in this thread.

My own awkwardness stemmed from the fact that I was home alone A LOT. I was the only child of a single mom, so once I started going home after school in 5th grade instead of daycare, I was left to my own devices, whatever they may be. I suck at recalling the order of things, so I'll just divide them by subject instead.

The Smelly Kid
I was the smelly, greasy kid. I was very uncomfortable talking to my mom about anything, and she gave up trying to get me to regularly brush my teeth around 2nd grade. Stickers, rewards, etc. were completely ineffective, and she threw her hands up.

My mom never showers; only takes baths, so that's what I did. I took a bath once or twice a week, and I considered that to be clean. I only ever really washed my hair, since I didn't really think there was "a point" in washing the rest of me, since it was soaking in soapy water. :downs:

Like I said, I was uncomfortable talking about personal things with her, so when I started to hit puberty I "hid" it from her. I didn't lie or anything, she just never asked. She knew since she was doing the laundry and I was using her pads, but to this day (I'm 24) I have never talked with her about periods or anything that I can recall.

I put off wearing deodorant for a long time, because I was scared to ask her about that too. When it started to be an unavoidable thing, I just used her's. Same goes for shaving. My mom never taught me about shaving, or how to do it. I just started using her razor and a bar of soap.

I rarely brushed my hair, even though it was super long. I usually only brushed it after a bath, which as I mentioned was bi-weekly. I did eventually switch to showers, but it was pretty much the same routine, just standing instead of sitting.

All these things, coupled with being relatively poor, meant I looked like total poo poo, and though I won't say my mom didn't care, she put no effort into shaping me up. Knowing her she probably figured she'd just let me do my thing, or something.

I could not smell myself. I had no idea how bad it was except for days when I forgot to wear deodorant, or hadn't felt like taking a shower for 5+ days. Even then I usually figured I could hide it by just not raising my arm in class. I had a few friends, but none of them told me any of this. They never said my breath reeked, or that I had major BO, or that I smelled like cigarette smoke 24/7 because my mom is a chimney.
E: Sometimes classmates would ask bluntly, "Why do you smell?" but who takes poo poo like that seriously when they're not your friend, and to the best of your knowledge talks poo poo about you?

I maintain to this day that if I had known the full extent of my "reputation" in high school, I could certainly have begin my road to building up my executive functions much quicker. I've been diagnosed with depression since then, and things are going much better.

I'm willing to answer questions on the "super gross, how the gently caress did you live with yourself" aspects of being a social leper. :) I'm not perfect, but I'm much better now. I credit much of my improvement to SA, oddly enough, but that's another story. :)

What up gross-kid buddy?

I had a fairly similar experience growing up. I only showered once a week or so. I hated showering because I hated being cold and wet after I got out. I also grew up with a single mom and didn't talk to her about puberty or anything. I remember her telling me once to never shave, so I never did. I tried to borrow her electric razor when one of the girls in my dance class called out my armpit hair. She'd do it every class and make me feel incredibly ashamed.

I only found out that I smelled when I was in 10th grade and was called to the councilors office. She told me that both teachers and students were telling her that I smelled and asked if there were any problems at home. I said no, cause my mom was a teacher and I didn't want to get her in trouble. I should have said, "Yes, my house is disgusting and full of garbage and it makes me really depressed."

I've learned proper hygiene since then. :)

sweetroy
May 23, 2011
thats a space bar

man i hate yall

Antivehicular posted:

I'm still trying to figure out why, even if you're into misogynist snuff porn, you would ever suggest it as a logo for a school project. How disconnected from reality do you have to be to think that eviseceratedsakura.jpg is going to look good on a Powerpoint in front of your professor?

Yeah, I've got no idea either. He was a pretty weird dude but that was by far the weirdest thing he did.

So there was one other guy in my TAFE course who was a tad off, who we're going to call Robert. Robert at first seemed like a pretty normal guy, and he played Dwarf Fortress like I do, which somewhat endeared him to me. He showed up every day in a business shirt, business pants and had a leather briefcase, which was somewhat jarring to see in what was otherwise universally a collection of tshirts and jeans.

Eventually he drifted to the outside of the main social group, by virtue of being both quiet and occasionally weird. We decided that we were gonna have a LAN party, and after some quick discussion we didn't ask Robert because not only did he not seem to be interested in the type of games we played, but also because the guy hosting didn't really want him to come to his house. So the plans were made and we all rocked up to our mates house that night, and we set up in his shed to play some games.

At about 8:00 we heard a tremendous thumping on the side of the shed, and as we all recoiled in pain from the exceptionally loud noise it made, we saw Robert's head pop around into the door and grin like a madman. Apparently he'd listened in to the conversation we'd had (which we admittedly hadn't been that quiet about) and had googled the address and shown up. With no computer. We all looked at each other and kind of shrugged. Those of us with headphones on thanked god for the blessing he had bestowed upon us, and we left it to the host to deal with. His response was essentially "Okay, well, I guess he can stay?".

A few minutes later my goon mate from the last post and I went to get some food and grab some alcohol. Robert offered to come with us, but we pointed out that my friend's two door car only had two seats and he wouldn't fit. Luckily it was dark so he didn't see the three seats in the back. When we returned we found out he'd walked into town (he didn't have a car) to get alcohol. When he returned, he was carrying a 1 litre bottle of Jack Daniels, and was taking swigs. While normally that would be cause for celebration, rather than consternation, a few of us wondered how well he could hold his drink. These fears would turn out to be well founded.

After grabbing some food from inside the house, he walked out and sat down in the shed, talking poo poo about anything and everything to anyone who would listen. Again, those of us with headphones just turned up the volume but those without had to just grin and bear it. After about ten minutes of him rambling on, he got up to get more food from inside. When he left, someone got up and locked the shed door, and we all breathed a sigh of relief. He was about halfway through the bottle of jack by this point.

We hear heated conversation coming from outside, and eventually the sound of loudly raised voices. I had headphones on for most of it, but this is a transcribed version of what I've been told went down. There were three people involved, Robert, the party host, and a guy we're gonna call Steve

Robert: Man you suck, party host! har har har I am so drunk!
Host: Sure you are.
Robert: Whatever man, I am drunk, I don't even care.
Steve: You're not drunk, you're an idiot
Robert: You're an idiot! You're the biggest idiot here
Steve: WHAT? I DIDN'T SHOW UP HERE UNANNOUNCED, UNINVITED AND UNWANTED
(note: Steve was pretty crazy too. And drunk)
Steve: WHO INVITED YOU? WHY ARE YOU HERE? YOU DON'T EVEN HAVE A COMPUTER
Robert: He invited me! *pointing in the direction of Host*
Host: No I didn't.
Steve: SEE? NOBODY WANTED YOU HERE. WHY DO YOU WEAR A SUIT TO TAFE? EVERYONE WEARS REGULAR CLOTHES BUT YOU WEAR FANCY CLOTHES. WHY?

At this point, Robert desperately cast around to find support, only to find that everyone had either bailed or was yelling at him. Drunk, confused, and upset, he walked over to the shed door, only to find it locked and unopenable. Everyone was against him. There was only one logical solution.

Kick the door down.

It was quite jarring to be sitting in there happily playing games, only to have someone attempt to kick a steel door down. It made a tremendous noise, and moved the door quite far out of its natural position. He tried again, but the door held firm. By the time he went for the third kick, the others had gotten to him and restrained him, and asked us to open the door. We wrenched the door open with some difficulty, and he stormed in and grabbed his bag and bottle of jack, and rolled off into the night, screaming and cursing.

When he came in to tafe a few days later he was wearing a tshirt and jeans, so that accomplished something, I guess.

moonsour
Feb 13, 2007

Ortowned

Nessa posted:

What up gross-kid buddy?

I had a fairly similar experience growing up. I only showered once a week or so. I hated showering because I hated being cold and wet after I got out. I also grew up with a single mom and didn't talk to her about puberty or anything. I remember her telling me once to never shave, so I never did. I tried to borrow her electric razor when one of the girls in my dance class called out my armpit hair. She'd do it every class and make me feel incredibly ashamed.

I only found out that I smelled when I was in 10th grade and was called to the councilors office. She told me that both teachers and students were telling her that I smelled and asked if there were any problems at home. I said no, cause my mom was a teacher and I didn't want to get her in trouble. I should have said, "Yes, my house is disgusting and full of garbage and it makes me really depressed."

I've learned proper hygiene since then. :)

Ronda, who I'll briefly write about later, was the only one who back-handedly called me out on being kinda smelly. We were having a sleepover at her use, and chilling in the living room, almost certainly watching her latest "imported" (un-subtitled) anime. Also almost certainly DBZ or Digimon, since those were the only two marginally approved by her Very Christian mom.

She quietly whispered something to her bff, who then asked me to go upstairs with her. I followed, and she quietly said that Ronda's mom didn't like smelly feet touching her blankets and couch cushions, and handed me a washrag.

:smith:

Space.Plant
Jul 23, 2006

Little Miss RKO posted:

Ronda, who I'll briefly write about later, was the only one who back-handedly called me out on being kinda smelly. We were having a sleepover at her use, and chilling in the living room, almost certainly watching her latest "imported" (un-subtitled) anime. Also almost certainly DBZ or Digimon, since those were the only two marginally approved by her Very Christian mom.

She quietly whispered something to her bff, who then asked me to go upstairs with her. I followed, and she quietly said that Ronda's mom didn't like smelly feet touching her blankets and couch cushions, and handed me a washrag.

:smith:

Smelly kids represent. :smith:
I disliked taking a bath since I hated getting wet (unless it was for swimming, I love swimming :downs:) and I rarely had clean clothes. No one really told me I smelled unless is was a passing comment. My sisters, sis' boyfriend, and I where at a theme park and me and her boyfriend went on a log fume ride. I don't know why, since I hated getting wet, especially when I had normal clothes on. After the ride ended and we were significantly wet, I hear the boyfriend mutter to my sister, "Did she take a bath? She stinks!" It wasn't until I hit puberty that I started really caring for my hygiene, now that I could use deodorant and a razor to shave my legs and armpits, just like an adult!!

I was a lazy kid, and sometimes getting me to brush my teeth was a chore. I remember when I was 12, my dad pulled me out of my bed by my ankles to make me brush my teeth. I make sure to do so everyday, even when my teeth feel grimey.

Part 2 of Mr. Despair will be posted tomorrow. I have to look through some logs to make sure my chronology of the happenings is right.

RKO, I'm curious about the Animorph stuff, vampires too!

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

:shroom::shroom:

Commissar posted:

Yeah, I've got no idea either. He was a pretty weird dude but that was by far the weirdest thing he did.

So there was one other guy in my TAFE course who was a tad off, who we're going to call Robert. Robert at first seemed like a pretty normal guy, and he played Dwarf Fortress like I do, which somewhat endeared him to me. He showed up every day in a business shirt, business pants and had a leather briefcase, which was somewhat jarring to see in what was otherwise universally a collection of tshirts and jeans.

Eventually he drifted to the outside of the main social group, by virtue of being both quiet and occasionally weird. We decided that we were gonna have a LAN party, and after some quick discussion we didn't ask Robert because not only did he not seem to be interested in the type of games we played, but also because the guy hosting didn't really want him to come to his house. So the plans were made and we all rocked up to our mates house that night, and we set up in his shed to play some games.

At about 8:00 we heard a tremendous thumping on the side of the shed, and as we all recoiled in pain from the exceptionally loud noise it made, we saw Robert's head pop around into the door and grin like a madman. Apparently he'd listened in to the conversation we'd had (which we admittedly hadn't been that quiet about) and had googled the address and shown up. With no computer. We all looked at each other and kind of shrugged. Those of us with headphones on thanked god for the blessing he had bestowed upon us, and we left it to the host to deal with. His response was essentially "Okay, well, I guess he can stay?".

A few minutes later my goon mate from the last post and I went to get some food and grab some alcohol. Robert offered to come with us, but we pointed out that my friend's two door car only had two seats and he wouldn't fit. Luckily it was dark so he didn't see the three seats in the back. When we returned we found out he'd walked into town (he didn't have a car) to get alcohol. When he returned, he was carrying a 1 litre bottle of Jack Daniels, and was taking swigs. While normally that would be cause for celebration, rather than consternation, a few of us wondered how well he could hold his drink. These fears would turn out to be well founded.

After grabbing some food from inside the house, he walked out and sat down in the shed, talking poo poo about anything and everything to anyone who would listen. Again, those of us with headphones just turned up the volume but those without had to just grin and bear it. After about ten minutes of him rambling on, he got up to get more food from inside. When he left, someone got up and locked the shed door, and we all breathed a sigh of relief. He was about halfway through the bottle of jack by this point.

We hear heated conversation coming from outside, and eventually the sound of loudly raised voices. I had headphones on for most of it, but this is a transcribed version of what I've been told went down. There were three people involved, Robert, the party host, and a guy we're gonna call Steve

Robert: Man you suck, party host! har har har I am so drunk!
Host: Sure you are.
Robert: Whatever man, I am drunk, I don't even care.
Steve: You're not drunk, you're an idiot
Robert: You're an idiot! You're the biggest idiot here
Steve: WHAT? I DIDN'T SHOW UP HERE UNANNOUNCED, UNINVITED AND UNWANTED
(note: Steve was pretty crazy too. And drunk)
Steve: WHO INVITED YOU? WHY ARE YOU HERE? YOU DON'T EVEN HAVE A COMPUTER
Robert: He invited me! *pointing in the direction of Host*
Host: No I didn't.
Steve: SEE? NOBODY WANTED YOU HERE. WHY DO YOU WEAR A SUIT TO TAFE? EVERYONE WEARS REGULAR CLOTHES BUT YOU WEAR FANCY CLOTHES. WHY?

At this point, Robert desperately cast around to find support, only to find that everyone had either bailed or was yelling at him. Drunk, confused, and upset, he walked over to the shed door, only to find it locked and unopenable. Everyone was against him. There was only one logical solution.

Kick the door down.

It was quite jarring to be sitting in there happily playing games, only to have someone attempt to kick a steel door down. It made a tremendous noise, and moved the door quite far out of its natural position. He tried again, but the door held firm. By the time he went for the third kick, the others had gotten to him and restrained him, and asked us to open the door. We wrenched the door open with some difficulty, and he stormed in and grabbed his bag and bottle of jack, and rolled off into the night, screaming and cursing.

When he came in to tafe a few days later he was wearing a tshirt and jeans, so that accomplished something, I guess.

Man, I was feeling pretty sympathetic towards Robert until he tried to kick the door in. However, I've had friends do more stupid and destructive things while drunk.

snowballdragon
Dec 25, 2011

And this, is a level beyond a Super Saiyan

skipThings posted:

Interesting, I knew one of those as well, he wore a button down shirts with Hentai imagery on it and bragged about how there is no hentai genre he didn't know of

How in the hell could any self-respecting person walk out of their house with a hentai shirt?

Somewhat related, I used to know this one kinda socially awkward dude (he was a friend of a friend) who wore an XXL shirt that featured a very suggestive drawing of Krystal from Starfox on it one day. I questioned him about it and he replied "You think this is bad? you should see my other shirts. :smug:" I tried my best to avoid him after that.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Where do you even buy a hentai shirt? I know furry shirts you can buy through fur fandom, and the mall will take care of your standard flames/dragons/Goku nerd shirt, but hentai shirts?

sweetroy
May 23, 2011
thats a space bar

man i hate yall

fork bomb posted:

Man, I was feeling pretty sympathetic towards Robert until he tried to kick the door in. However, I've had friends do more stupid and destructive things while drunk.

Yeah I wasn't too sure on posting it, because some people are legitimately mean there, but I figured there was enough there to warrant posting it. I've got one more story with someone who is completely batshit that I've just remembered, but it's gonna take a while to write up.

Antivehicular posted:

Where do you even buy a hentai shirt? I know furry shirts you can buy through fur fandom, and the mall will take care of your standard flames/dragons/Goku nerd shirt, but hentai shirts?

One of the best shirts I've ever seen was a hen wearing a tie. Gonna assume that isn't the kind of shirt you're thinking of.

ZarathustraFollower
Mar 14, 2009

Antivehicular posted:

I saw some in the mall in Austin. The store was one of those super cheap asian import shops you go into for shits. They were short sleeve button ups for $2 and felt like a burlap sack. About half had anime characters from the 80s and the other ones had topless and full nudity anime girls in spas and in moonlight. My friend took a pic of them, but I don't have it.

The store also sold fantasy swords and knifes.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

ZarathustraFollower posted:

I saw some in the mall in Austin. The store was one of those super cheap asian import shops you go into for shits. They were short sleeve button ups for $2 and felt like a burlap sack. About half had anime characters from the 80s and the other ones had topless and full nudity anime girls in spas and in moonlight. My friend took a pic of them, but I don't have it.

The store also sold fantasy swords and knifes.

Man, I think I've been to that place. I guess I missed the hentai shirts, but they did have a lot of anime goods of widely varying taste levels, so I can buy it.

(For the record: we mostly went in for shits and giggles, but we ended up buying a little wooden chicken for the kitchen counter. Sadly, their insane fiber-optic tree lamps cost more than we were willing to spend for fiber-optic tree lamps, however sweet.)

SlaveToTheGrinds
Apr 3, 2010

Antivehicular posted:

What's really messed up is Hot Topic is carrying Hetelia shirts now. So so sad. And Bronie stuff. My god this thread is leaking into the real world.

Valex
Nov 28, 2009

by astral
I've seen the brony stuff but are they really selling Hetalia stuff? I didn't know people liked that show enough for it to be sold in a place like Hot Topic

sweetroy
May 23, 2011
thats a space bar

man i hate yall

SlaveToTheGrinds posted:

What's really messed up is Hot Topic is carrying Hetelia shirts now.

No. No. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012
Why oh why did geekiness have to turn profitable?

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Hmmm I wonder why

Lady of the Beech
Dec 16, 2011

I clearly just want to be a good friend and bring all my AMAZING FRIENDLINESS to bear on your problems.
Some of my best friends are into Hetalia.

I'm not sure what to think of that.

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012
Just be emotionally prepared to sever contact with them if necessary, Beech.

It is how I have adapted to this sort of thing.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Space.Plant posted:

A bit of background infomation. One of our mutual friends had sex with her now boyfriend and posted about it on a private journal. Mr. Despair was slightly shocked, but seemed alright...but kept asking for details of it. After that, it was all fine and dandy. Until I brought up that I had sex a year ago (for the first time!! Woowee!!1) to him in a chilled out convo. He suddenly said he felt sick, went silent and kept speaking in ellipses.
:reject: HOW'S THE WEATHER ON WHORE ISLAND??? <:mad:>

Couldn't you see that he was The One? He was always polite and listened to your boring bullshit stories and never complained when you blathered on and on about your tedious feelings. Didn't you feel the connection between you two when he made that mixtape using all the favorite songs you may have mentioned once in passing but were diligently noted in Space.Plant.favorites.xls for future reference? CAN'T YOU SEE YOU BROKE HIS HEART????

================================
Reading your story and others in this thread is really fascinating because it seems that being a poorly socialized dork isn't gender specific. I remember a lot of awkward moments and humiliating events from middle school and high school that seem to be a lot more common than I thought. I'm happy to read that all of you grew out of that stage and it does give hope that maybe someone who is sitting around all dirty and gross and mad at girls or guys for never returning their affections will read this thread and see a little something of themselves in here. Hopefully they'll try and make a positive change in their life.

What's chilling is to read about Denise and others who are *still* caught up in these fantasy worlds long into adulthood.

SlaveToTheGrinds
Apr 3, 2010

Valex posted:

I've seen the brony stuff but are they really selling Hetalia stuff? I didn't know people liked that show enough for it to be sold in a place like Hot Topic

I've become chummy with the local HT crew due to us all being old fucks and basically they're all ashamed of it. But the one shirt they have has pretty much sold out except for the smalls. I can't help but find that hilarious. They also have Dr.Who stuff which apparently came to the store by my house by accident but to everyone's shock sold out pretty quickly. So maybe the Dr.Who balances out the horridness of the Hetalia?

I am so happy that my daughter grew out of her Sonic phase because she was dangerously close to becoming that kid. Unlike a lot of the parents in this thread we talked to her incessantly about hygiene and how making friends and getting out of your own world is important. She's still pretty quiet but is coming out of her shell. I hope that all of you guys with the poo poo parents have grown up fairly well adjusted and have learned from thier mistakes. The biggest thing I got from all of this is that I am so glad I have got into the things the kid is so I know what she's looking at and where she's going with things. Every so often I mention some thing I read on fandom secrets to her and I get the eyerolls and the nooo mom I am not into that. Ahh sorry rambling but some of this stuff makes me so sad and a lot of it could have been easily prevented by parents removing their head from their asses.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

SlaveToTheGrinds posted:

Unlike a lot of the parents in this thread we talked to her incessantly about hygiene and how making friends and getting out of your own world is important. She's still pretty quiet but is coming out of her shell.
:hfive: You rock.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

MadRhetoric posted:

Out of all the characters in Gundam Wing, she wanted you to call her Dorothy when you made love?

A lot of these stories are sad and disturbing, but that's just plain odd.

Oh It wasn't making love, friend. But yes, she wanted me to call her Dorothy Catalonia. She also wanted me to play Gundam on my TV as we hosed. The second time we hosed, she was incredulous that I would not put it on my TV. She's hot and probably bullied every guy into doing what she wanted during her lifetime, but I just wasn't going to do it. But your point does have merit. Of all the characters one could chose, she chose an odd one.

Edit: Yeah, it's pretty cool to hear about all the people who had such awkward upbringings and social experiences. My parents were busy working and my mom grew up in Korea. I didn't know anything about social norms, and my parents were both in school when I was young so they were pretty broke until my mid-teenage years so I didn't get all the typical cool things or know of them. My dad was horribly awkward about teaching me general things like how to shave. Eventually I figured it all out and I guess I'd say I was a "late bloomer" and nobody would know about my omg embarrassing past except I still collect some nerdy things. It's actually quite an opposite experience now where I meet someone and they make a lot of assumptions about me and then later they're surprised that I have some niche hobbies and interests like the Magic Pro Tour and eSports gaming and watching Gundam.

So, like many in this thread, don't worry parents. Your kids may just end up like us here posting and we're all pretty normal. I think.

Blinkman987 fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Feb 25, 2012

skipThings
May 21, 2007

Tell me more about this
"Wireless fun-adaptor" you were speaking of.

snowballdragon posted:

How in the hell could any self-respecting person walk out of their house with a hentai shirt?

Somewhat related, I used to know this one kinda socially awkward dude (he was a friend of a friend) who wore an XXL shirt that featured a very suggestive drawing of Krystal from Starfox on it one day. I questioned him about it and he replied "You think this is bad? you should see my other shirts. :smug:" I tried my best to avoid him after that.

You pretty much answered the question yourself, he was an enormous fat person with "nice-guy" syndrome, that person had no self-respect. In retrospect my whole social circle should be thankful to him, we were all creepers, socially-awkward or ill-tempered more or less, but we sure didn't want to become him, he was the signalfire of the point of no return.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

skipThings posted:

the signalfire of the point of no return.
I think that's what this thread's really about for a lot of us. Comparing our own eccentricities to the ones getting mentioned in the thread, and saying "Well, ok, at least I'm not as bad as that guy", and doing out best to keep it that way.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I think the second-most socially awkward person I've known was this one guy from college... Hard to describe, so I'll just touch on some key points.

- He would sprint from class to class with his arms at his side, like an anime ninja or something. One of my friends once asked him why he did that and he replied "Oh, I'm playing Pac-Man and I can't let the ghosts catch me!" :ghost:
- He was unkempt. His hair was always a curly, oily mess. He always wore a smelly gray sweatshirt and ratty old jeans. The best description I could give to his scent would be... a wet, rotting pile of leaves.
- Played Magic: the Gathering Online on his laptop during class. One time I witnessed him getting his rear end kicked within the first few turns and he told his opponent "nice topdecking, fag!" He wasn't trolling or joking around - he was very much visually shaken by his loss.
- He also played IRL Magic, but he didn't play with assembled decks or participate in drafts - he would just proxy ridiculously overpowered decks (i.e. play with fake cards), and I mean old-school broken poo poo like Fireball + Black Lotus + Mox gems decks that are almost guaranteed wins.

But you know what? Despite all of this, he actually did really well in his classes and went on to graduate school. I even ran into him at a convention a few months ago so I struck up a conversation... but it was soon very apparent that he hadn't changed one bit. He also made my wife very uncomfortable. He tried to follow us up to our room to hang out but I wasn't having any of it.

Honestly, overall he is a nice guy but the way he presents himself just makes people really uncomfortable. I really hope he realizes how he behaves because he'll be just fine if he takes steps to minimize the creep factor.

Now, the #1 most awkward person I knew? That was me, and I'll be happy to reveal more when I have some time later.

Blinkman987 posted:

Oh It wasn't making love, friend. But yes, she wanted me to call her Dorothy Catalonia. She also wanted me to play Gundam on my TV as we hosed. The second time we hosed, she was incredulous that I would not put it on my TV. She's hot and probably bullied every guy into doing what she wanted during her lifetime, but I just wasn't going to do it. But your point does have merit. Of all the characters one could chose, she chose an odd one.

It's been a while since I watched that show, but wasn't Dorothy Catalonia pretty much Relena's crazy lesbian stalker? At least that's the vibe I seem to recall...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Lady of the Beech posted:

Some of my best friends are into Hetalia.

I'm not sure what to think of that.

My best friend is a Hetalia fan, and I told her if I ever catch her saying things like "Well it wasn't in Hetalia so obviously the Holocaust never happened" I was going to run her over.

• Locked thread