Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Has anyone else had issues updating their TF101? Everytime I download the update and tap install, it "checks integrity" of the download and fails the check, cancelling. This has happened 3 times now, rebooting between attempts.

I'm on a stock and up-to-date (3.2.1) TF101 in Canada.

e: 4th attempt failed, this time I even swapped out wireless routers in case the network was corrupting the download or something. What the heck.

CLAM DOWN fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Feb 25, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Kevbo
Oct 14, 2000

rotaryfun posted:

Out of curiosity, why do you feel like you need root on your tablet? I rooted my transformer pre ICS and I never even ended up using anything that required root access.

I use a permissions manager to deny some permissions to apps that clearly don't need them. For example, there is no reason why most games need to know my location and have full access to the network and my personal data.

Captain Kevbo
Oct 14, 2000

Kreeblah posted:

So, uh, did you guys do anything special to get it to recognize that there's an update? I've got one at work, but it keeps telling me there's no update available for it.

I just went through Settings and told it to check for an update this morning; no magic or additional apps needed for me.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

That's just loving terrible. Do people seriously think that is acceptable or something?

That was one guy on the internet, and it was on the charger, not the tablet. It's quite common for AC adapters to get warm but your tablet shouldn't be getting that hot.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

That's just loving terrible. Do people seriously think that is acceptable or something?

No... Nobody has said that it's acceptable. Which forum are you reading?

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

While using it my TF101 can get warm, but if you want real heat my SGS2 at stock cpu/voltages feels like it goes thermonuclear while playing games.

Smeego
Sep 9, 2001

japan sucks

Kynetx posted:

No... Nobody has said that it's acceptable. Which forum are you reading?
YOSPOS

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime

kevdude posted:

Has anyone else had issues updating their TF101? Everytime I download the update and tap install, it "checks integrity" of the download and fails the check, cancelling. This has happened 3 times now, rebooting between attempts.

I'm on a stock and up-to-date (3.2.1) TF101 in Canada.

e: 4th attempt failed, this time I even swapped out wireless routers in case the network was corrupting the download or something. What the heck.

Weird, worked first try on mine. Maybe try a factory reset then apply?

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
ICS is...so...drat...sexy :love:. Still a few bugs here and there, but overall a much more pleasant experience than Honeycomb.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Smeego posted:

YOSPOS
I think you mean XDA.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I think you mean XDA.

Mostly it'd just be nice if every single issue with an Android tablet didn't have at least one person coming in saying "HOW DO YOU ALL THINK THIS IS ACCEPTABLE" when nobody here has said it is.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

sethsez posted:

Mostly it'd just be nice if every single issue with an Android tablet didn't have at least one person coming in saying "HOW DO YOU ALL THINK THIS IS ACCEPTABLE" when nobody here has said it is.
Use the report button.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Dodoman posted:

ICS is...so...drat...sexy :love:. Still a few bugs here and there, but overall a much more pleasant experience than Honeycomb.

I love the browser. Somehow it even does things I'd expect to be base system functions like selecting text, copying and pasting better than Dolphin does on ICS.

Unfortunately I just had a "sleep of death" that I could only solve by forcing into recovery mode and choosing to cold boot. Not looking good for tf101 ICS.

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

:golgo:
EVERYONE EXCEPT THE HOT WOMEN
:golgo:
I updated my wife's TF to ICS, now it's incredibly slow and the market thinks half the apps aren't installed when they are :sigh:

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
A weird thing I've experienced with ICS on my TF is all the elements of the home screen disappearing. Like, I'll see the background and I can swipe between the screens, but I don't see anything else (no icons, widgets, menu bar, anything). If I tap around on the screen, though, programs will launch. Only a reboot will fix it. It's happened two or three times, but I don't see what causes it.

Is there an easy way of getting a custom power button menu? When I was running the Prime ROM, holding down the power button would give me the option to shutdown, reboot, or reboot into recovery. That was so convenient and I'd like to have it back. Searching around on XDA was futile.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

Galaxy Note 10.1 promo has leaked ahead of MWC. Not so surprising since the writing was already on the wall from the previous leak, but this one is much more definitive.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Vagrancy posted:

Galaxy Note 10.1 promo has leaked ahead of MWC. Not so surprising since the writing was already on the wall from the previous leak, but this one is much more definitive.

Took me a second to realize that this was something other than one of many Samsung tablets, which cover nearly all sizes from 5" to 10" in 1/4" increments.

If not for Samsung's lovely but deserved rep for not updating software after a release, this might be worth looking into. I really want a good tablet with a real stylus, even if some people think I shouldn't.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005

Samsung have announced the Galaxy Tab 2 10.1

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
So they are releasing 2 10.1" tablets?

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

It seems odd that the new tablet announcements I've seen are still on the same Tegra dual core processors. Are ASUS and Acer(A700) the only guys on the bandwagon with kal-el among the tablet bigs right now?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

So other than that having ICS and a redesigned housing because of them getting sued in the EU (see also: the "Galaxy Tab 10.1n" for sale in Germany), this is different than the current Galaxy Tab 10.1 how?

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

kitten smoothie posted:

So other than that having ICS and a redesigned housing because of them getting sued in the EU (see also: the "Galaxy Tab 10.1n" for sale in Germany), this is different than the current Galaxy Tab 10.1 how?

It uses Samsung's own SoC which supposedly runs much smoother than the old Tegra 2 the current 10.1 uses, and has a microSD slot, which the first one didn't have.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Tatsujin posted:

I updated my wife's TF to ICS, now it's incredibly slow and the market thinks half the apps aren't installed when they are :sigh:

Welp, looks like you're gonna need to replace that with a ICS native (or other) tablet when it comes out. Don't know what to tell ya.

I'm not sure you should waste much more time on it, really. Just roll it back to the original version it had, get a new tablet, and sell it. It's going for a good price on eBay, so it might not be a bad idea to just sell it now before a bunch of new tablets appear on the scene and lower the resale price.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
As far as I can tell, ICS made my Transformer a little jittery and slow in places (although admittedly much snappier in others), and replaced the old font with some new horrible one. Also the UI is all glossy and shiny and bleh.
Guess it's finally time to look into rooting it.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
You must be the only person who doesn't like the new font. What about it don't you like?

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
I have no idea. I do realize it's extremely subtle, though, and I'm the sort of person who gets whiny over stuff like this.
Also I do recognize their intention of "make it easier to see on small screens" is legitimate, and think they were successful. Zoomed out tiny text is actually much more legible now than from what I remember. I think it might be that the curves are much tighter? That would allow it to be thinner and smaller while still being legible.

I stand by my dislike of the glossiness/shininess, though. Bleh.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I thought Roboto was pretty ugly when I put it on my Incredible, but I'll say that it is better than the horrific Droid Sans

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Tatsujin posted:

What steps have you tried so far?

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
My transformer should be fixed and returned in the next few days, how do I go about getting ICS?

Zoodpipe
Jun 24, 2004

This is an important call. So, shut the fuck up.
Fallen Rib

Kazy posted:

It uses Samsung's own SoC which supposedly runs much smoother than the old Tegra 2 the current 10.1 uses, and has a microSD slot, which the first one didn't have.

Has there been any additional information as to when Samsung will release Ice Cream Sandwich for the original Tab 10.1?

Is it still a vague timeframe of Q1?

ModestMuse
Jun 25, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your GPS
I'd be a heavenly person today

GreatKesh posted:

My transformer should be fixed and returned in the next few days, how do I go about getting ICS?

Settings -> About Tablet -> System Update -> Check for Update

^^^ Samsung seems more concerned with releasing 10 more tablets than updating anything that they've already sold

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Ohmigosh ICS has spellcheck. All is forgiven. I mean I'm still going to try and figure out how to change this dumb font and stuff but still. Wow.
Also text selection is significantly better.
Also also ASUS seems to have gotten the mouse pointer back as an option (for when you're using the trackpad, instead of the circle).

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Tatsujin posted:

I had the same thing happen, for some reason it didn't list Google +, Amazon Kindle and Dropbox on My Apps anymore, but it worked when I went to their market pages and chose to install again or update.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Dodoman posted:

You must be the only person who doesn't like the new font. What about it don't you like?
Not really. It's not a very good font.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Says one guy.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

According to that guy since it's not original it's not good.

:what:

The rip-off part may be true, but it doesn't change my opinion of it. It looks good on my transformers screen. It's sharp and clear and, most importantly, looks better than the old font.

Dodoman fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Feb 26, 2012

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

It really is bad. A mish-mashed Helvetica knock-off that exists because Helvetica can't be included in an open source OS.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

The more I read about this font the more I think I must dislike it because I'm using it on a tablet. On a phone it's probably fine, but a tablet lets enough of it onscreen in a single line that something about it gets grating.
Like, there're fonts that are great for smaller notes or short lines or whatever, that you would hate to have to read a book in. This is one of them. For me, at least.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

My Linux Rig posted:

Welp, looks like you're gonna need to replace that with a ICS native (or other) tablet when it comes out. Don't know what to tell ya.

I'm not sure you should waste much more time on it, really. Just roll it back to the original version it had, get a new tablet, and sell it. It's going for a good price on eBay, so it might not be a bad idea to just sell it now before a bunch of new tablets appear on the scene and lower the resale price.

Seriously? Software upgrades can go wrong, it does not matter whether its Windows or OSX or iOS or Android.

Ditching a device completely because the upgrade hasn't gone smoothly is incredibly stupid advice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005

Here's a longer write up by a typographist had similar first impressions but changed his mind

Toady posted:

Helvetica knock-off

Only to the degree that Helvetica is a knock-off of Akzidenz-Grotesk. The line lengths are similar, but it has a very different overall feel to Helvetica and Helvetica Neue.

Vagrancy fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Feb 26, 2012