Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Agesilaus posted:

Taco chat is one of the worst aspects of american culture. Death to tacos

Ok grumblefish, we've put up with a lot, but now you've gone too far.

nm fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Feb 24, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

topheryan
Jul 29, 2004
what's the deal with how they make quesadillas at felipe's and anna's and boca grande in cambridge. is the "grilled burrito" style quesadilla more authentic, because I definitely never had any like that in california or the southwest

also where's all the good tacos in this town, i need some taco trucks

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

J Miracle posted:

It's still nothing like law school

--a niche appellate nerd

Yay we've established law school is useless at teaching you the practice of law.

It's like going to architecture school for five years and being given a hammer on your first day on the job.

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

MEET ME BY DUCKS posted:

also where's all the good tacos in this town, i need some taco trucks

should've thought of that before you came to massachusetts :smug:

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

CaptainScraps posted:

Yay we've established law school is useless at teaching you the practice of law.

It's like going to architecture school for five years and being given a hammer on your first day on the job.

You guys just don't value that they taught you how to "Think Like a Lawyer"TM. It was totally worth the 150k because of my new and exiting ability to "Think Like a Lawyer"TM.

topheryan
Jul 29, 2004

Red Bean Juice posted:

should've thought of that before you came to massachusetts :smug:

what's wrong with this terrible state, why are there seafood trucks selling 12 dollar sandwiches but no tacos

tau
Mar 20, 2003

Sigillum Universitatis Kansiensis
Ok, taco chat has me down for getting tacos at some point today. Any recommendations for the Denver area?

I've only been to: http://www.patzcuaros.com/ and http://www.dcorazonrestaurant.com/ (LoDo's location). I loved both of them, but I really don't have the experience that you all seem to have when it comes to authentic tacos/burritos.

Guide me, wise ones.

EDIT: And I've been to http://www.restauranteur.com/laloma/

tau fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Feb 24, 2012

Stop
Nov 27, 2005

I like every pitch, no matter where it is.

Stop fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Jan 30, 2013

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

I Am Not A Lawyer but I can say I've enjoyed Pinche Tacos while drunk in Denver.

edit: I cannot speak for their authenticity, however, as I am not familiar in the study of the One True Taco

plester1 fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Feb 24, 2012

tau
Mar 20, 2003

Sigillum Universitatis Kansiensis

plester1 posted:

I Am Not A Lawyer but I can say I've enjoyed Pinche Tacos while drunk in Denver.

edit: I cannot speak for their authenticity, however, as I am not familiar in the study of the One True Taco

Nice. I've heard their whiskey selection is great! Double-whammy!

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:

CaptainScraps posted:

I actually think architecture is a really good analogy. While you're in school, you can think of whimsical and crazy things that are theoretically interesting, challenge existing structures (lol) etc. But then you graduate and you're drawing up plans for another 3 bed, 2 bath, colonial with granite countertops or proofreading a structured credit agreement to make sure all the blanks were filled in.

And that realization completely sucked the desire to do anything out of me once I got an SA. Why bother?

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

The Dagda posted:

Edit: you're at Berkeley, right? Didn't they just build a new Gordo's on Telegraph? I remember the Gordo's on College being fairly good, maybe you'll have luck there if you don't want to haul your rear end all the way out to Oakland or SF.

They did indeed, and the locations are pretty much equidistant to my house. It's the best game in town and there are times when their carnitas is legitimately awesome but it's been hit and miss for me the last couple times I've been. Even at its best it is not better than many places in SD.

Penguins Like Pies
May 21, 2007

Roger_Mudd posted:

You guys just don't value that they taught you how to "Think Like a Lawyer"TM. It was totally worth the 150k because of my new and exiting ability to "Think Like a Lawyer"TM.

I don't think I actually learned how to "Think Like a Lawyer"TM. Can I get a refund?

Colorblind Pilot
Dec 29, 2006
Enageg!1
Woo hoo! I got a 1L Summer Associate in NY Biglaw!

Go to law school, plenty of jobs, die happy!

Agesilaus
Jan 27, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Omerta posted:

I actually think architecture is a really good analogy. While you're in school, you can think of whimsical and crazy things that are theoretically interesting, challenge existing structures (lol) etc. But then you graduate and you're drawing up plans for another 3 bed, 2 bath, colonial with granite countertops or proofreading a structured credit agreement to make sure all the blanks were filled in.
R
And that realization completely sucked the desire to do anything out of me once I got an SA. Why bother?

That's not how I remember it at all. I just remember a load of meaningless bullshit, usually about subjects that I couldn't give a toss about. Law school no basis in reality, doesn't challenge anything, nothing crazy happens there (at least not in a good sense), and there is nothing more boring than the drudgery of the bluebook.

Then I started real life law work and found myself with plenty of challenging and interesting cases. Gonna challenge existing structures by demanding trial by ordeal sometime soon; still performing research, though.

Agesilaus fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Feb 25, 2012

Vander
Aug 16, 2004

I am my own hero.

Colorblind Pilot posted:

Well, you know what they say about having high hopes, soaring into the sky...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2OS2pwrZTI

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Stop posted:

The West Village Dos Toros isn't that great. Feels and tastes like a glorified chipotle but ymmv.

Edit. There's a pretty good food truck that stops at Thompson and Bleeker on some nights

I'll stop by there sometime, thanks for the tip.

To be honest, I do head over to Spanish Harlem sometimes, I've found some pretty tasty tacquerias over there. Very different from what I'm used to, though, and the only thing I've had over there was tacos. Sometimes, I just want something big, foil-wrapped, and full of goddamn everything.

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep
Staten Island has an amazing couple of streets full of awesome taquerias and Latin bakeries within walking distance of the ferry. And while you're there, you might want to try the best Sri Lankan and Liberian food in the country. Yes, I know you're not actually going to go there.

Edit: Also if you want a giant foil-wrapped burrito-like thingy, get a Caribbean/South Asian roti on Staten Island, also walking distance from the ferry.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

MoFauxHawk posted:

Staten Island has an amazing couple of streets full of awesome taquerias and Latin bakeries within walking distance of the ferry. And while you're there, you might want to try the best Sri Lankan and Liberian food in the country. Yes, I know you're not actually going to go there.

Edit: Also if you want a giant foil-wrapped burrito-like thingy, get a Caribbean/South Asian roti on Staten Island, also walking distance from the ferry.

I would it if wasn't 4000mi away and gas didn't cost 4.40 :(

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:
This is causing a huge clusterfuck at my school
http://abovethelaw.com/2012/02/this-is-how-you-apply-to-be-dean-of-your-law-school-even-if-it-means-you-wont-get-the-job/#more-138265

quote:

It reads like a true, Jerry Maguire-style “mission statement.”

Emory Law Professor Howard Abrams submitted an application to become the next Dean of Emory Law School, and boy did he call out the school and legal academia for the whole backwards process of choosing deans and running law schools. Emory Law has had a rocky relationship with its students over the past few years, and Professor Abrams wants it to stop. He wants Emory to get better. He wants law schools to get back to providing value to the students instead of just taking their money.

And, as a result, he probably has no chance of actually getting the job…

Abrams starts his three-page law dean application with the classic “I do not want to be the next dean of the Emory Law School. And that may be my strongest qualification.” But it doesn’t take long before he’s slamming the way the law school treats its customers, the students:

I believe two things concerning administration of the Emory Law School: (1) the faculty should run the Law School; and (2) the Law School should be run for the benefit of the students. Currently, neither of those is true though not out of deliberated decision nor meanness of spirit. Rather, the law school has acceded to a series of deans who (out of the best of intentions) have expanded their role at the expense of the faculty. And the goals of the Law School have never been identified with sufficient precision.

I believe the goal of the Emory Law School should be to help our students lead happy and productive lives and to contribute to their local communities and to the greater society. To do this, we need to give them the tools to succeed after law school however they define success, we must maximize the opportunities for them to realize their dreams, and we must find new ways of supporting our students whose dreams take longer to realize.

A law school run for the benefit of students? Dear God man, are you mad? Next you’ll be suggesting that the school’s U.S. News ranking isn’t the single most important factor to any well functioning law school:

For too long, the Emory Law School has emphasized appearance over substance. I understand this emphasis: we have been told that a dean’s tenure is tied to the US News and World Report rankings, and so a dean who believes he can improve the school must first ensure he remains in a position to do so. One advantage of shifting from a bureaucratic model of administration to a faculty-run model is to prevent decanal retention policy from driving law school strategy.

I really wish that line would show up in the Emory prospective student brochures: “Here at Emory, we value appearance over substance and our dean’s job security is directly tied to our U.S. News rank.” I mean, nobody is going to seriously dispute the truthfulness of that statement, right?

The thing is that now Emory leaders have a choice: they can keep going down the same, flawed path they and a bunch of other law schools have been trying for years, or they can go with a dean who has some ideas about how to bring law schools back to the basics of helping students.

It’s not like all of Abrams’s ideas are radical. They’re just student-focused:

Regardless of what our students do and who they may advise, the world now requires an entrepreneurial approach in all aspects of commerce. We need to develop that spirit in ourselves; we need to help foster it in our students. We need a small business clinic. We need to better understand what our students do after graduation, and then we need to help them do it.

We need to teach more. Law faculties have used the US News and World Report rankings as justification for moving significant resources out of classrooms and into faculty offices: only faculty scholarship, we are told, will increase our peer reputational ranking. But as we all know, while the best legal scholarship really is very good, most legal scholarship (because publication decisions and editing are done by second-year students) is not good and rarely is read. Producing innovative courses and teaching methods likely will improve our reputation as much as the publication of one or two or three journal articles that are of interest only to other academics and often not even to them. Innovation in the classroom certainly will benefit our students.

But I know why Abrams won’t get the job. Abrams is willing to put his money, and Emory’s money, where his mouth is:

And I think we need to change our financial aid program dramatically. I would shift most or all financial aid into student loans with interest deferred until graduation and with reduction of interest and principal payments for up to five years depending on post-graduation income. That is, those of our students who seek and achieve immediate financial success can afford to bear the full cost of their legal education. But those students who have other goals or whose goals cannot immediately be achieved should have the burden of their debt reduced for a reasonable period. This has the added benefit of tying the Law School’s economic interest to that of its students: if the students cannot find jobs, the school does not get paid.

If the students can’t find jobs, the school doesn’t get paid? Now that is crazy talk. Why would a law school adopt a business model that has risk over one that is guaranteed to work so long as the flow of incoming lemmings remains strong? As we’ve seen time and time again, university presidents and administrators are not often motivated by a sense of responsibility to their students. Emory doesn’t have to tie its financial success to that of its students, and there’s no reason to think they will do so willingly.

Howard Abrams’s dean application is probably dead in the water. But that doesn’t mean it was a waste of time. When Emory hires, whoever, to do exactly the same kind of disingenuous crap as the last guy, they won’t be able to say they had no other options.

You can read Abrams’s full letter on the next page. It’s worth the read; it should be the model for any person who is applying for dean of a law school who is committed to something other than taking advantage of gullible law students.

Ani
Jun 15, 2001
illum non populi fasces, non purpura regum / flexit et infidos agitans discordia fratres
That's pretty excellent. I'm quoting his letter here because it's worth reading and it's better than the ATL version with crappy commentary.

quote:

Statement of Howard E. Abrams Regarding the Next Dean of the Emory Law School

I do not want to be the next dean of the Emory Law School. And that may be my strongest qualification.

I believe two things concerning administration of the Emory Law School: (1) the faculty should run the Law School; and (2) the Law School should be run for the benefit of the students. Currently, neither of those is true though not out of deliberated decision nor meanness of spirit. Rather, the law school has acceded to a series of deans who (out of the best of intentions) have expanded their role at the expense of the faculty. And the goals of the Law School have never been identified with sufficient precision.

I believe the goal of the Emory Law School should be to help our students lead happy and productive lives and to contribute to their local communities and to the greater society. To do this, we need to give them the tools to succeed after law school however they define success, we must maximize the opportunities for them to realize their dreams, and we must find new ways of supporting our students whose dreams take longer to realize.
I have some thoughts on how those goals can be achieved, and so do others. I believe that the wisdom of a group far exceeds the wisdom of its individual members, and for that reason it must be a united faculty that leads the law school forward. While our past deans and their most trusted associates have sought success for our students, they lack the experience and collective judgment that the faculty as a body can offer. And by reengaging the full faculty in primary decision-making, those members of the faculty who have been marginalized will become invigorated. Accordingly, I would have the faculty chose a Committee of Committees, and this CoC would then determine the membership of all other law school committees. Committees would select their own chairpersons. Endowed chairs should be awarded by existing holders of endowed chairs; teaching award recipients should be selected by past honorees.

For too long, the Emory Law School has emphasized appearance over substance. I understand this emphasis: we have been told that a dean’s tenure is tied to the US News and World Report rankings, and so a dean who believes he can improve the school must first ensure he remains in a position to do so. One advantage of shifting from a bureaucratic model of administration to a faculty-run model is to prevent decanal retention policy from driving law school strategy.

We need to have a faculty more in touch with the general legal community. That means, I think, less teaching by adjunct faculty and more teaching with adjunct faculty. We need to have more team teaching by law school faculty with other law school faculty and more team teaching with other members of the University, especially members of the Business School and Medical School faculties.

This will also help us increase – and we need to dramatically increase – the entrepreneurial atmosphere of the law school. Regardless of what our students do and who they may advise, the world now requires an entrepreneurial approach in all aspects of commerce. We need to develop that spirit in ourselves; we need to help foster it in our students. We need a small business clinic. We need to better understand what our students do after graduation, and then we need to help them do it.

We need to teach more. Law faculties have used the US News and World Report rankings as justification for moving significant resources out of classrooms and into faculty offices: only faculty scholarship, we are told, will increase our peer reputational ranking. But as we all know, while the best legal scholarship really is very good, most legal scholarship (because publication decisions and editing are done by second-year students) is not good and rarely is read. Producing innovative courses and teaching methods likely will improve our reputation as much as the publication of one or two or three journal articles that are of interest only to other academics and often not even to them. Innovation in the classroom certainly will benefit our students. I would return to a four course annual teaching package, though with more team teaching as part of those packages.

And I think we need to change our financial aid program dramatically. I would shift most or all financial aid into student loans with interest deferred until graduation and with reduction of interest and principal payments for up to five years depending on post-graduation income. That is, those of our students who seek and achieve immediate financial success can afford to bear the full cost of their legal education. But those students who have other goals or whose goals cannot immediately be achieved should have the burden of their debt reduced for a reasonable period. This has the added benefit of tying the Law School’s economic interest to that of its students: if the students cannot find jobs, the school does not get paid.

There are very many things about running a law school that I do not know. I do not know why we have had the same number of students since I arrived 30 years ago but the number of administrators has increased dramatically. I do not know why we are unable to replace members of the faculty who have retired or passed away. I do not know why the Provost has asked that dean candidates describe their vision for the law school in no more than three pages. Perhaps most importantly, I do not know why Robert Howell Hall Professor of Law Richard D. Freer will not be our next dean: he is our best teacher, one of our very best scholars, and he has the strongest relationship of any member of the faculty with the bench and bar. But I do know that we need new leadership and new vision. If we cannot get the most obvious candidate, perhaps it should be me.

Howard E. Abrams
Professor of Law

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUdB8gCMcXI

Howard E. Abrams
Professor of Law

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
The only problem I have is that "entrepreneurial" is often a code word for "There are no jobs, so start a small business that is almost certain to fail due to the same market conditions that caused the shortage of jobs in the first place." Seriously, "I can't find a job" is probably the worst reason ever to start your own company.

Lilosh
Jul 13, 2001
I'm Lilosh with an OSHY

Colorblind Pilot posted:

Are you a URM or LGBT or otherwise diverse? I only ask because I've literally never heard of a 1L summer associate gig going to a non-diverse applicant.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Konstantin posted:

The only problem I have is that "entrepreneurial" is often a code word for "There are no jobs, so start a small business that is almost certain to fail due to the same market conditions that caused the shortage of jobs in the first place." Seriously, "I can't find a job" is probably the worst reason ever to start your own company.

I guess it could lead to a ton of hyper-specialized practices, but even then you need some firm experience just to learn how to write briefs and motions and how to file them.

If I can't get a government job, I'm definitely considering a practice that just specializes in agricultural work like farm program payment/crop insurance management, Chapter 12 bankruptcies, and USDA NAD appeals. There can't be more than 100 people doing that nationally right now, and most of the existing ones are ancient. That still leaves the issue of marketing yourself and actually getting the clients through the door, though.

Mons Hubris fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Feb 26, 2012

Stop
Nov 27, 2005

I like every pitch, no matter where it is.

Stop fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Jan 30, 2013

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Question: how long after application do you generally hear from places? I got waitlisted at Georgetown fairly quickly, and Columbia rejected me a little bit ago, but the others I haven't heard from and it's been about eight weeks now. Should I follow up with admissions offices, or would that be being a pest?

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

Lilosh posted:

Are you a URM or LGBT or otherwise diverse? I only ask because I've literally never heard of a 1L summer associate gig going to a non-diverse applicant.

It's not that uncommon at good schools. Pre-2009 25% of the class would get them. Now...probably more like 10%.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

HiddenReplaced posted:

It's not that uncommon at good schools. Pre-2009 25% of the class would get them. Now...probably more like 10%.

I was just about to post pretty much this. As an '08 graduate I think pretty much everyone in my class who wanted a big firm summer associate their 1L year got one. Of course now several of those people don't have jobs at all so...yeah, times have changed.

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon

Lilosh posted:

i had one. i am white + lovely student

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Lilosh posted:

Most of our 1L SAs were whitebread.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
Are you a Summer Associate or some kind of clerk/researcher, because not all large firms give 1Ls the SA label even if they do pretty much what the 2L summers do.

Unamuno
May 31, 2003
Cry me a fuckin' river, Fauntleroy.
So close to being done with this bar exam. Pass or fail (most likely the latter, cause lol @ remembering all the rules well enough to express them on an essay, and the MBE is only worth 1/3) at least I'll be done.

Allahu akhbar!

Fluffykins
Mar 26, 2010

Unamuno posted:

So close to being done with this bar exam. Pass or fail (most likely the latter, cause lol @ remembering all the rules well enough to express them on an essay, and the MBE is only worth 1/3) at least I'll be done.

Allahu akhbar!

Agreed. I've gone from not caring about it, to devoting my waking life to learning it, to realizing there is no way I can learn all that poo poo.

I'm just gonna do some MBE stuff today and read over model essay answers. My plan is if I blank on an essay, to just make up a plausible-sounding rule and make it seem like I know what I'm talking about. Confidence, man.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Fluffykins posted:

My plan is if I blank on an essay, to just make up a plausible-sounding rule and make it seem like I know what I'm talking about. Confidence, man.

I'm avoiding doing MEE questions by posting in this thread. :ssh:

It is really a lot about confidence and the ability to just plow through. I'm sure it was talked about at the time, but summer 2011 exam had a MEE question about interlocutory appeals and when they were proper. It was one of those great times you could tell when people were getting to the question by watching them, because they would get a really confused look on their face. Anyway, I had no idea what I was talking about and I got an average score for the question (which is, of course, much more than is needed to pass.)

At least I don't have to deal with the MBE this time around. :woop:

Lilosh
Jul 13, 2001
I'm Lilosh with an OSHY

Feces Starship posted:

i had one. i am white + lovely student

Hey, check your email when you get a sec. I emailed you about a week ago about the sublet you mentioned a few pages back.

Colorblind Pilot
Dec 29, 2006
Enageg!1

sigmachiev posted:

Are you a Summer Associate or some kind of clerk/researcher, because not all large firms give 1Ls the SA label even if they do pretty much what the 2L summers do.

I'm a Summer Associate and I'm just sort of part of the 2L SA class. They told me that most people I work with won't even know I'm a 1L since they're integrated into the SA class. And from what I hear, 1Ls get permanent offers at the end of the summers just like 2Ls, so that means I can officially stop giving a poop about law school.

I'm not a URM or anything, but I do have a tech background and work experience.

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep
Even if firms call them Summer Associates, summer associates at Biglaw firms are still clerks. Since I was a little baby, I remember my dad always talking about the "law clerks" at his little firm. Biglaw firms may use that fancier sounding title, but make no mistake about the fact that you're clerking at these firms.

topheryan
Jul 29, 2004
tech background seems even better for getting a 1L SA position than URM

I haven't met any classmates with tech backgrounds without an SA position if they wanted one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon

Lilosh posted:

Hey, check your email when you get a sec. I emailed you about a week ago about the sublet you mentioned a few pages back.

sorry. replied to u