Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Beer_Suitcase posted:

edit: One question/issue I have is when I try to play the episodes on my Xbox the subs can't be seen because they are off the screen. The only episode I have been able to watch on my Xbox without an issue is the Pac-man 2 one.

Are you using an old tube type television? We don't stay out of the TV safety.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Beer_Suitcase posted:

edit: One question/issue I have is when I try to play the episodes on my Xbox the subs can't be seen because they are off the screen. The only episode I have been able to watch on my Xbox without an issue is the Pac-man 2 one.

If you're using XBMC on a standard old Xbox...

1. There's an option somewhere to adjust where subtitles appear.
2. You might want to downsample the videos if you're streaming them.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right

Fickle Fascination posted:

If anyone wants any custom sizes / colours, just let me know.

Turned this into a wallpaper for the Samsung Galaxy Note. Obviously anything with a smaller screen/resolution should go.

(Click for bigger, 800*1280).

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...
Makes a great Vita lock screen as well. Good words of advice before you get back into your game:

Downloadable version here.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*
From Arino's blog on the GCCX homepage:

Arino's Final Challenge as a 30-something: "Pilotwings"
Thank you very much for all the encouraging faxes, Imatsubu messages [like a Twitter for celebrities where fans can send messages], and birthday wishes.
T(・□・)H(´∀`)A゙(≧△≦)N(`0´)X(^o^)!

I was surprised to see so many faxes from children and people from overseas.
ΣΣΣ(・∀・ノ)ノ!!!!!!!!

In portraits of me, whether they be from children or from overseas, drawing stubble and the line beneath my nose seems to be the standard.
Like this (´(ェ)`)?

Now for apologies.
Those who wished to record "Behind The Scenes of the Robo-G Movie," "Barasu," and "Let's Go to More Onsens!" This wasn't the network's fault. It's the Chief's fault.
(´・ω・`) Sigh... <( _ _ )> bow

Even after receiving a 4-hour extension, I couldn't clear it. My 40-year old brain has failed me.
Braaains( ゚◇゚)=●ノ´д`)ノ Eeek!!!

I'm sorry for spending 7 hours on stage 7, but I think the staff should apologize to me for my aid Emoto's shortcomings.
( =”=) glaaare (((((;-_-) _-) _-) shuffle shuffle

I learned two things from finishing my last challenge as a 30-something today.
One: staff members who've graduated the staff will succumb to the pressure of playing in front of a camera.
tremble shiver ((((o(°□°≡゜Д゜)o) tremble shiver

Two: The staff members who wished me a happy birthday were only present for the main event.
I don't even know where the birthday cake went.
Hm? 「(・ω・`)≡(´・ω・)> What what??

Abe didn't expect today's extension. In the bathroom, him and the other tech staff went "My work today is starting soon."
[The show ended at 6 AM and Abe was scheduled to start his next job at 7 AM]
I'm sorry to both of you.
(´:ω;`) tears <( _ _ )> bow

I'm exhausted so I'm going home.
m(°□°m))) ))) ))))

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
So lately I've got the worst itch for NES era gaming so I wanted to ask you guys how you play your games. Some of you have mentioned you've ordered online some games Arino has faced and I'd like to get into them as well. Specifically I'd like to buy a NES/Famicom because emulators ironically can't emulate that pristine KACHO feel to gaming.

I've been researching online and apparently NES is pisseasy to make region free. However, a regular western NES (I'm European btw) uses a different form of cartridges from the Famicom so I don't think that will by itself enable me to play Famicom goodness.

Apparently AV Famicom, the grey toploader model, is a good alternative, if you can get your hands on a Japanese version with somewhat modern (read: not RF) video/audio input. Anyone have any experience on that? Is there some alternative like SupaBoy, the handheld SNES that can be plugged into a modern TV set?

jyrque fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Feb 25, 2012

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away
I don't know why, but Go by Train is so much more interesting than it should be.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

cronox2 posted:

Makes a great Vita lock screen as well. Good words of advice before you get back into your game:

Downloadable version here.

I am going to use the hell out of this.

Time to watch Go by Train!

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

Random Stranger posted:

Are you using an old tube type television? We don't stay out of the TV safety.

Yuuup! This is my problem. But hey it was a free TV.

Primoman
Jan 23, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Could I also put down the request for more Vita-formatted GCCX screens? Preferably stuff with the king and queen sprites, or any funny/cool image of the Kacho himself?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

zari-gani posted:

Abe didn't expect today's extension. In the bathroom, him and the other tech staff went "My work today is starting soon."
[The show ended at 6 AM and Abe was scheduled to start his next job at 7 AM]
I'm sorry to both of you.
(´:ω;`) tears <( _ _ )> bow

I thought Abe worked for Gascoin directly (as opposed to being a freelancer). You'd expect that Kan would give him the day off or arrange for the second string guy to fill in on his duties the next day.

So hey, who wants a special episode promo courtesy of the astounding Nagoyan? He found this video while working an episode that's being edited right now.

For what it's worth the source video was pretty rough a couple of different ways so there isn't any option for better quality video. But this is short and it's something you're going to want to see:

http://depositfiles.com/files/bmgwzyyij

Download torrent81 (1 file; 132.47 MB)
View torrent stats

Silentman0 posted:

I don't know why, but Go by Train is so much more interesting than it should be.

Insulting a train game? That means we're doing only your least favorite episodes from now on!

jyrque posted:

So lately I've got the worst itch for NES era gaming so I wanted to ask you guys how you play your games. Some of you have mentioned you've ordered online some games Arino has faced and I'd like to get into them as well. Specifically I'd like to buy a NES/Famicom because emulators ironically can't emulate that pristine KACHO feel to gaming.

I've been researching online and apparently NES is pisseasy to make region free. However, a regular western NES (I'm European btw) uses a different form of cartridges from the Famicom so I don't think that will by itself enable me to play Famicom goodness.

Apparently AV Famicom, the grey toploader model, is a good alternative, if you can get your hands on a Japanese version with somewhat modern (read: not RF) video/audio input. Anyone have any experience on that? Is there some alternative like SupaBoy, the handheld SNES that can be plugged into a modern TV set?

The big issue for you in Europe is going to be the PAL/NTSC divide. Japan (like the US) used NTSC for the television signal and it's very different from the European standard of PAL. So you'll need a television that can support NTSC signals otherwise all this isn't going to work. There are people out there who modify Famicoms to put out different signals but this isn't a simple or cheap task.

A cheap option here is a USB television receiver for your computer. I picked one up for $10 that supports every television format on earth and easily jumps between regional differences in signals.

The gray famicom is pretty drat expensive (it's like the NES-2 in that regard). IIRC they start around $150. Famicom stuff isn't that cheap anymore but you can essentially triple the price if you want that version.

Another option is that there are modern famicom clones. They may not support every single game but they're relatively cheap and simple to get working. (There's about two dozen famicom games with special chips for extending features; Contra, Castlevania 3, and Gimmick are three of those that have been featured on the show.)

You're also going to have an issue with different power standards but since those old game consoles ran on DC and used an adapter I'm sure you'll have no trouble finding a universal one that will work for you.

A few other things: get ready for really short cords. The ones on the famicom controllers (which are fixed to the system) are about two feet long. I just got a Super Famicom in the mail yesterday and even that controller cord is only three feet.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Feb 25, 2012

Acolyte!
Aug 6, 2001

Go! Rocket Kiwi! Go!

jyrque posted:

A handful of old NES titles (Gyromite is notable for this but there's a list) have adapters inside because they just use the Japanese board. I have a Famicom Gyromite on my keychain for this very reason. You can snatch one of those and then just use the Famicom game with the adapter.

joek0
Oct 13, 2011

Random Stranger posted:

I thought Abe worked for Gascoin directly (as opposed to being a freelancer). You'd expect that Kan would give him the day off or arrange for the second string guy to fill in on his duties the next day.

So hey, who wants a special episode promo courtesy of the astounding Nagoyan? He found this video while working an episode that's being edited right now.

For what it's worth the source video was pretty rough a couple of different ways so there isn't any option for better quality video. But this is short and it's something you're going to want to see:

http://depositfiles.com/files/bmgwzyyij

Download torrent81 (1 file; 132.47 MB)
View torrent stats

[spoiler]Does this mean that a sub for Genpei Touma Den is coming?[spoiler]

joek0 fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Feb 26, 2012

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Acolyte! posted:

A handful of old NES titles (Gyromite is notable for this but there's a list) have adapters inside because they just use the Japanese board. I have a Famicom Gyromite on my keychain for this very reason. You can snatch one of those and then just use the Famicom game with the adapter.

This is not a common thing. I've picked up a copy of pretty much every game that might have a famicom adapter in it that I could find for $2 or less and had no luck at all finding one. If you're in a store you can feel the weight difference supposedly but I'm apparently not that good at it.

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...

Random Stranger posted:

This is not a common thing. I've picked up a copy of pretty much every game that might have a famicom adapter in it that I could find for $2 or less and had no luck at all finding one. If you're in a store you can feel the weight difference supposedly but I'm apparently not that good at it.

If the video I saw about this was right it was that the only versions with the Famicom adapters in them were the original black box NES games that were sold in the NYC test launch of the system.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ

Random Stranger posted:

Yeah, the Famicom converter carts are going to be a little heavier near the bottom compared to ones that don't have them. Here's a guide about them that gives a few tips on what to look for when you're looking for one. I'm still in the process of trying to find one myself for my collection, but I haven't found any as of yet.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

cronox2 posted:

If the video I saw about this was right it was that the only versions with the Famicom adapters in them were the original black box NES games that were sold in the NYC test launch of the system.

From what I've read it was to make up for a manufacturing shortfall in 1986 which was out of that Christmas '85 period.

You can tell that the launch only thing isn't true since there are third party games that might have the adapter in them (Rygar, Raid on Bungeling Bay) and those weren't available until things went wide.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
That was a fun episode. No continues made it very harsh, I think he should have been given 1 from the start and he'd almost certainly have met the other goal they initially set.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Crotch Bat posted:

That was a fun episode. No continues made it very harsh, I think he should have been given 1 from the start and he'd almost certainly have met the other goal they initially set.

Is this a spoiler?

Mister Chief fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Feb 26, 2012

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Silentman0 posted:

You'd think it's super boring by description, it's actually not. The games are pretty interesting, even more so if you love trains.

No continues is harsh, but it's a bit realistic if you ask me, because a real train driver wouldn't gently caress up then have some people come by and reset the train to its proper position. :v:

Zeether fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Feb 26, 2012

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Primoman posted:

Could I also put down the request for more Vita-formatted GCCX screens? Preferably stuff with the king and queen sprites, or any funny/cool image of the Kacho himself?

The gentlemen and scholars over at NeoGAF found out that the Vita supports transparent images as backgrounds, and it'll show the wavy lines with the image overlaid onto it. If you can grab the sprites on their own, it'd be as simple as putting them onto a transparent 960x544 png and transferring them to your vita. They'd probably look nice in the corner of the screen.

Erwin Tuwonwon
Oct 30, 2011

zari-gani posted:

Even after receiving a 4-hour extension, I couldn't clear it. My 40-year old brain has failed me.
Braaains( ゚◇゚)=●ノ´д`)ノ Eeek!!!

Man, Arino is more emoticon crazy than a 12-year-old. Still, this one was pretty great.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

Random Stranger posted:

Insulting a train game? That means we're doing only your least favorite episodes from now on!

I wasn't dissing it, I'm just surprised that something so mundane was made into a game so cool.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

jyrque posted:

The greatest secret from the Retro Game Discussion thread: http://global.rakuten.com/en/category/toys_games/video_games/

Go there and browse categories or search directly - you get aggregate results from a ton of Japanese shops and shipping is worldwide. If you want Famicom stuff for non-ripoff prices it's the place to go.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Silentman0 posted:

I wasn't dissing it, I'm just surprised that something so mundane was made into a game so cool.

Okay, but I'm watching you for any anti-trainism.

This reminds me that I wanted to post a bit about the Yamanote Line since it is a big part of the episode and I doubt that most of you are familiar with it. While you really didn't need to know more about it than it's a train line for the show I thought some of you might like to know a bit more.

The Yamanote Line is the major commuter artery in Tokyo. It is a loop and in the first Go by Train game you could drive less half of it.

(Obviously not geographically accurate but it gives you an idea of how the stations are placed.)

It is a pretty big line; it took me over half an hour to go from one side to the other (sadly the Chuo line in the picture wasn't an option for me). It is constantly packed; 3.5 million people ride it every day.

If you want to drive the line I recommend getting Go By Train! Final (Densha de Go! Final) for the PS2 since it is my personal favorite of the regular series (I like the companion Train Simulator series better and the two series have essentially merged onto one track becoming Railfan on the PS3). It's got more options, more stations, and generally more to do. It's also easier since it isn't an arcade port like what Arino was playing.

FWIW, I don't think the graphics looked a lot like the real stations even by PS1 standards.

techknight posted:

The greatest secret from the Retro Game Discussion thread: http://global.rakuten.com/en/category/toys_games/video_games/

Go there and browse categories or search directly - you get aggregate results from a ton of Japanese shops and shipping is worldwide. If you want Famicom stuff for non-ripoff prices it's the place to go.

FWIW I got a little bit better prices through Amazon.co.jp marketplace but Rakuten can generally beat them on shipping since to use the marketplace you have to use an intermediary service.

OTOH the service I use, tenso.com, is currently offering up to 4000yen off on international shipping for things purchased from Rakuten. You ship the item(s) to your Japanese mailbox that Tenso maintains and then they handle shipping. The deal is supposed to be you pay 1000 yen for the shipping and then the next 4000 yen of shipping expenses are covered.

Oh, and thanks a lot techknight. Now I won't be able to find anything good when I place my next order. :argh:

Bradster
Aug 14, 2004

Ryan Reynolds brings a brilliant new form of acting in every movie he does!

Beer_Suitcase posted:

One question/issue I have is when I try to play the episodes on my Xbox the subs can't be seen because they are off the screen. The only episode I have been able to watch on my Xbox without an issue is the Pac-man 2 one.

I had the same problem. You can adjust the overscan in XBMC. Also if you use the zoom function you can zoom out a bit and fit the video better. Either way will work they are both in the video options when playing a video.

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

Here's a Vita start screen I made based on the castle sprites that were posted here a little while ago. It's pretty simple/sparse/imperfect, but I think it gets the job done. I did include the throne & candleabras originally, but then you were peeling away all but the top of the throne, which looked weird.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Just watched the Go by Train episode and it has to be one of my all time favourites. I especially liked the bento box challenge.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Mister Chief posted:

Just watched the Go by Train episode and it has to be one of my all time favourites. I especially liked the bento box challenge.

I know! Try finding something that tasty-looking within 100 yards of a Greyhound station.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*
I put this together:

(click for large)

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
Haggleman in the window. :psyduck:

Was the original drawing the same size as the poster?

joek0
Oct 13, 2011

zari-gani posted:

I put this together:

(click for large)

I actually thought the dragon and bird on the throne represented US and Japan. I thought that the bird was an eagle which represented the US and that the dragon represented Japan.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ

zari-gani posted:

I put this together:

(click for large)

The attention to detail in that picture, as well as the US trip one, is astounding. I wouldn't be surprised if they're thinking about asking you to do more art for the show on a regular basis. :)

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
When Arino pulled that model train out of his pocket, I had flashbacks to Money Train, of all things.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Ahaha I didn't even see the Bird and Dragon the first time I saw that poster. That rules. :v:

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

I'd buy that poster.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

joek0 posted:

I actually thought the dragon and bird on the throne represented US and Japan. I thought that the bird was an eagle which represented the US and that the dragon represented Japan.

It works on many levels.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Yea, if you got rid of the "Happy Birthday Arino-Kacho!" I'd legit buy it as a poster.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

zari-gani posted:

(click for large)

What was the episode where a fan got Arino to sign the Sakuma Asako cart that he had tracked down and purchased?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
Oh man that train episode was perfect. Loved every minute of it. The SA team is amazing. Thank you guys!