Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VotGs
Dec 15, 2003

Don't mind me.
The crocodile skinks remind me of the helmeted swamp skink I saw pictures of. Which immediately reminded me of Toothless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cassiope
Jul 7, 2010

Man, the living creature, the creating individual, is always more important than any established style or system.
Except for cats.
I want one just so I can name it Toothless. That's such an awesome movie.

edit: Do you know the species name?

Cassiope fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Feb 22, 2012

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
drat, one of our rescue cats is a black furrball named Night Fury. When my mom saw the movie, she understood the name.

Otherwise movie/TV names include: Zuko, Ty Lee, Azula/Toph; Alien, Ripley; Alice and Cheshire.

And Chewie the leopard tortoise, so named after some encounters with a rescue dog who was rehomed asap.

Olive Bar
Mar 30, 2005

Take me to the moon
All of my pets have tv names. The leopard gecko is Tuco, Breaking Bad. The beardie is Oscar the Grouch, Sesame Street. The rats are Benjamin, Jack, and hurley, Lost. And Russel and Talbot, True Blood. It's a sickness.

Taliaquin
Dec 13, 2009

Turtle flu
This might be a dumb question, but here goes. I have two RESs, both six years old, who have been living with my parents since I'm now living abroad for school (the UK doesn't allow RESs in thanks to assholes releasing them everywhere). In a few weeks I'm flying home for a visit, and I'm actually a little worried that my turtles won't be as receptive to me being around anymore. For context, one of them has always been rather friendly in general (he likes being handled, uses people for warmth, follows people around, is just a curious and sociable little guy all around), but the other has always been rather standoffish and kind of a grumpy thing. In the past, the grumpy one (Rosencrantz) has been really receptive to me. She doesn't like being handled and she won't bask if people are in the room, but she's always tolerated being handled by me, and as long as I don't startle her, in the past she doesn't mind if I'm in the room while she basks. Sometimes, if I was working near the aquarium, she even swam up and followed my movements.

I'm worried, though, that since I haven't been around them in about 9 months and since they've been living with other people, that they're going to see me as a stranger now ... which will be bad A) because they're my turtles and I love them to death, and B) their aquarium is kept in my room back home, so I'll be sleeping where they are. I don't want to stress them out. Should I expect them to regard me as a stranger and act accordingly? Or will they likely recognize me and allow some toothbrush butt-scratchin'?

Bonus:
A badly-lit pic of Rosencrantz hiding in a crate: Claws! :black101:

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

Taliaquin posted:

Bonus:
A badly-lit pic of Rosencrantz hiding in a crate: Claws! :black101:

Please tell me the other one is named Guildenstern. :pray:

Taliaquin
Dec 13, 2009

Turtle flu

hyperhazard posted:

Please tell me the other one is named Guildenstern. :pray:
Yep. Although I did nickname him Fat Potato, a moniker he still receives whenever he's being lazy. Which isn't very often, as he's energetic as hell, except in winter. Guil's the friendly one.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
They might take a little time to re-warm up to you, but I wouldn't be worried. I was gone for over a year from my mom's house, and when I came back, all the tortoises bumrushed me come feeding time. They hadn't seen me in about 16 or more months and they did fine.

Anhedonia
Jan 2, 2006

If you are reading this, the 9/11 club is not keeping my half-french ass down enough. Also I forgot my crazy pills...AGAIN!
Hey, I'm a new owner of a beautiful baby blue panther chameleon. I'm not really sure what to expect to be honest, at the store he was really playful and crawling all over me but now that I brought him home (in a really nice 2 foot by 4 foot terrarium with tons of plants for him to climb on) he's nervous and reserved. I know I'm jumping the gun because I only got him yesterday but I really want him to like me! Is there anything I can do or is this just a patience exercise?

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Anhedonia posted:

I'm not really sure what to expect to be honest, at the store he was really playful and crawling all over me but now that I brought him home (in a really nice 2 foot by 4 foot terrarium with tons of plants for him to climb on) he's nervous and reserved.

You've got it pretty backwards there. Reptiles don't...do playful, that's a mammal/bird thing. In the store he was stressed out and roaming around, terrified and upset. Now that he's home where it's quiet, he's engaging in normal chameleon behavior. They're territorial loners, not social mammals.

Anhedonia posted:

I know I'm jumping the gun because I only got him yesterday but I really want him to like me!

If you want a pet that will like you, you probably shouldn't have gotten a reptile. At best they just kinda tolerate you. AFAIK chameleons are really display pets.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I found a 1 yr old crested gecko on Craigslist I've been talking to the owner about. For a nominal fee I get the gecko, cage, and a whole crate of heat lamps and supplies that could be used on other setups. I asked about temps and food and I was told kept at 'normal' room temps with feeding Repashi 3 times a week and crickets once or twice a week which seems to be in the normal feeding ranges? I'd like to give an animal a good home, they want to give it up because their job requires them more and more to be away and they don't like having to constantly talk to their room mate about care. Does this sound like something to look into? Just going off of dollar value its about 1/3 what everything would cost brand new retail.

RabbitMage
Nov 20, 2008

VotGs posted:

A DRAGON IRL

Oh god, I need this right now.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I can't believe you glassbeadazzled their stuff. There won't be any issues with the glass getting too hot? Because it's awesome.

Nope, I have an under the tank heater and I tested it without the geckos in it for about 48 hours before adding them, I stuck some little felt pads to the bottom of it to lift it slightly off the bottom of the tank which seems to insulate it pretty well.

HOWEVER, they are completely freaked out by it and have stayed completely stressed all week and don't want eat/come out at all. I think the beads are too reflective and it confuses the hell out of them and they're not happy, so I'm going to have to take it down this weekend and I'm so mad because I spent like 5 hours bedazzling that thing and I love it :negative:

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

Dr 14 INCH DICK Md posted:

I found a 1 yr old crested gecko on Craigslist I've been talking to the owner about. For a nominal fee I get the gecko, cage, and a whole crate of heat lamps and supplies that could be used on other setups. I asked about temps and food and I was told kept at 'normal' room temps with feeding Repashi 3 times a week and crickets once or twice a week which seems to be in the normal feeding ranges? I'd like to give an animal a good home, they want to give it up because their job requires them more and more to be away and they don't like having to constantly talk to their room mate about care. Does this sound like something to look into? Just going off of dollar value its about 1/3 what everything would cost brand new retail.

Sounds pretty good to me. Let me know if you end up getting it.

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

mushroom_spore posted:

If you want a pet that will like you, you probably shouldn't have gotten a reptile. At best they just kinda tolerate you. AFAIK chameleons are really display pets.

This.

Reptiles aren't a good choice if you're looking for affection, and panther chameleons are a worse choice than most. Chams get stressed out pretty easily by being handled, not to mention that panthers get pretty big, and males can be mean as poo poo.

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

RabbitMage posted:

Oh god, I need this right now.

Spend the extra money and get a CB baby then. Here's a good site detailing their care.

http://www.tribolonotus.com/MAINPAGE.htm

ZarathustraFollower
Mar 14, 2009

Are you going to take better care of it then your spider?

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

ZarathustraFollower posted:

In his defense, he set up that widow the way I set mine up. It was also an adult when he got it and may have been on its way out to begin with.

Not defending him leaving its corpse in the cage for months though.

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009

Anhedonia posted:

Hey, I'm a new owner of a beautiful baby blue panther chameleon. I'm not really sure what to expect to be honest, at the store he was really playful and crawling all over me but now that I brought him home (in a really nice 2 foot by 4 foot terrarium with tons of plants for him to climb on) he's nervous and reserved. I know I'm jumping the gun because I only got him yesterday but I really want him to like me! Is there anything I can do or is this just a patience exercise?

Not really. As others pointed out, reptiles aren't anything like most pets in terms of what people generally think of when they get an animal-they aren't affectionate or playful. The absolute best you can really hope for with a reptile is them being relaxed enough with you to use you as a heat source.

Also it sounds like you're trying to handle him a lot, which is something you want to avoid with a new reptile. Give him a week or two to settle in and make sure he's eating well first. Even then chams aren't really hands on reptiles, they prefer to be left alone.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Get it, send it to me, otherwise you're going to end up with like 500 of them because oh my god they are the most addictive little guys. I've been sick as gently caress for the past couple of weeks and I think I've spent like 15% of my time cooing over cresteds and working with my two. They are impossibly cute.

Speaking of, would it be normal for a little 4.5g gecko to develop portholes that late? I know patterns change and all, but I want to make sure I'm not crazy. The little flame is slowly getting perfect little white round dots, three each side, in a little line. Oh, and apparently I smelled like food last time I was handling it. I ended up getting licked a few times.

Superconsndar posted:

Nope, I have an under the tank heater and I tested it without the geckos in it for about 48 hours before adding them, I stuck some little felt pads to the bottom of it to lift it slightly off the bottom of the tank which seems to insulate it pretty well.

HOWEVER, they are completely freaked out by it and have stayed completely stressed all week and don't want eat/come out at all. I think the beads are too reflective and it confuses the hell out of them and they're not happy, so I'm going to have to take it down this weekend and I'm so mad because I spent like 5 hours bedazzling that thing and I love it :negative:

Aww, that's unfortunate. I wonder if they'd be okay with it if you used matte beads? Or can they see colors/faintly see colors and the mix would bother them?

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Like Centipede said, it just kind of up and died :( The snake's still doing really well, and I guess I slipped into a serious funk for a few months without even realising it. Posting about my living situation has really made me feel accountable about keeping my room like a normal person's and it's been going very well for keeping it organised. It is a valid point though, but things have definitely improved on my end and continue to improve.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Speaking of, would it be normal for a little 4.5g gecko to develop portholes that late? I know patterns change and all, but I want to make sure I'm not crazy. The little flame is slowly getting perfect little white round dots, three each side, in a little line.

They are not going to fully settle into their final color scheme until at least the sub-adult stage. A 4.5g crested is still technically a hatchling, even if it is several months old. I am not certain about portholes specifically, but I wouldn't be surprised if they could still come in as the gecko grows. Dalmatian spots certainly can appear as the gecko ages.

ZarathustraFollower
Mar 14, 2009

Like Centipede said, it just kind of up and died :( The snake's still doing really well, and I guess I slipped into a serious funk for a few months without even realising it. Posting about my living situation has really made me feel accountable about keeping my room like a normal person's and it's been going very well for keeping it organised. It is a valid point though, but things have definitely improved on my end and continue to improve.

Inverts up and die unexpectedly yes, but the whole leaving the body in the cage for so long is more of what worried me.

I did skim your e/n thread, and I am glad it seems like yo're getting out of the 'funk' you were in.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Inverts up and die unexpectedly yes, but the whole leaving the body in the cage for so long is more of what worried me.

You're absolutely right. There wasn't any excuse for that, I simply just really didn't want to open that cage. I think I'm through with spiders for a good while, it was pretty nerve wracking just having it in the house. Even taking it down off the shelf made my skin feel like it was crawling, and I just don't need to have something like that around.

RabbitMage
Nov 20, 2008

Big Centipede posted:

Spend the extra money and get a CB baby then. Here's a good site detailing their care.

These are probably not something I can have, but yeah, I saw those were WC and it made me a little sad.

Pardalis
Dec 26, 2008

The Amazing Dreadheaded Chameleon Keeper

Anhedonia posted:

Greetings new panther servant, welcome to caring for a delicate living piece of art that hates you most of the time. If you haven't checked out the chameleon forums, you should head over there and do some reading to brush up on your husbandry. Chameleons need tall screen enclosures, no substrate, live plants, frequent misting, and no handling. They are not "playful" animals- they stress easily and will die if you handle them often. If you want him to like you, put him in a quiet, low traffic area of the house and leave him alone. You can try hand feeding him a few weeks later after he has settled in and he may learn to see you as a provider of food and water, but that is the closest to being "liked" by a chameleon you will get. They are delicate, sensitive animals and don't make a good pet in the way that people typically want a pet. Many won't ever let you see them drink or eat, and some are downright aggressive or painfully shy.

Some end up being fat puppies that beg for food every time they see you. They still don't like to be touched at all or looked at for too long, though.

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

the whole leaving the body in the cage for so long is more of what worried me.

I don't know about regular spiders, but tarantulas do have the unexplained tendency to occasionally play dead for unknown reasons. Years ago I thought my little G. pulchripes was gone, as he wouldn't respond to anything for the better part of an hour. Then he suddenly revived and was perfectly fine. :iiam:

When my adult GBB passed I left her in the tank a few extra days with some water just to be sure. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice oh god don't bite me you crazy blue bitch :gonk: She didn't curl or anything, so it was hard to tell.

I don't know Dr's situation, and months is pretty excessive. But I think leaving the corpse alone until you're sure it's a corpse isn't in itself a bad thing with inverts.

Anhedonia
Jan 2, 2006

If you are reading this, the 9/11 club is not keeping my half-french ass down enough. Also I forgot my crazy pills...AGAIN!

Pardalis posted:

Greetings new panther servant, welcome to caring for a delicate living piece of art that hates you most of the time. If you haven't checked out the chameleon forums, you should head over there and do some reading to brush up on your husbandry. Chameleons need tall screen enclosures, no substrate, live plants, frequent misting, and no handling. They are not "playful" animals- they stress easily and will die if you handle them often. If you want him to like you, put him in a quiet, low traffic area of the house and leave him alone. You can try hand feeding him a few weeks later after he has settled in and he may learn to see you as a provider of food and water, but that is the closest to being "liked" by a chameleon you will get. They are delicate, sensitive animals and don't make a good pet in the way that people typically want a pet. Many won't ever let you see them drink or eat, and some are downright aggressive or painfully shy.

Some end up being fat puppies that beg for food every time they see you. They still don't like to be touched at all or looked at for too long, though.

Thanks a bunch for the help, I did hand feed him a bit and he seems to be happier. I'll try not to pick him up for a while unless he climbs on me.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I'd like to echo that there are few lizards who actually will tolerate/like handling less than a chameleon. A rhino iguana, for example.

Goddamn you little hognose snake Cheshire, for deciding you don't want to eat but keep acting like you do!

VotGs
Dec 15, 2003

Don't mind me.

Big Centipede posted:

I forgot I posted those pics, and had no idea of the species name. Thanks for that link!

Saturniid19
Aug 1, 2006
brought to you by North Central Positronics

Cowslips Warren posted:

Goddamn you little hognose snake Cheshire, for deciding you don't want to eat but keep acting like you do!

I posted a few months ago that my baby hog wouldn't eat. Here's what worked for me.

She stopped eating in November, so I brumated her for six weeks starting in December. She still wouldn't eat so, on the suggestion of a breeder, I took away her water for two days prior to feeding. At feeding time, I dunked the thawed pink in warm water. She's always been a good drinker so the idea was that drinking the water off the pink would trigger a response. She ate the pink before I even had a chance to put the lid on the feeding container. The next week, same thing, but I had to cover the container for a couple hours and let her eat in peace. I think I'm in the clear at least until next winter.

I think the biggest issue was her sensitivity to the photoperiod because the temperature didn't change much inside and it's been a very mild winter here. She does see natural light though, so she definitely noticed winter was coming. I tried cutting off heads, braining, various feeding containers, live pinks, day, night, scenting, everything I knew. I was about ready to take her to the vet before I tried the water trick.

Depending on how long it's been since your snake ate, you may also try a smaller meal. Good luck! It can be very stressful, but you just need a lot of patience.

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

Saturniid19 posted:

I posted a few months ago that my baby hog wouldn't eat. Here's what worked for me.

She stopped eating in November, so I brumated her for six weeks starting in December. She still wouldn't eat so, on the suggestion of a breeder, I took away her water for two days prior to feeding. At feeding time, I dunked the thawed pink in warm water. She's always been a good drinker so the idea was that drinking the water off the pink would trigger a response. She ate the pink before I even had a chance to put the lid on the feeding container. The next week, same thing, but I had to cover the container for a couple hours and let her eat in peace. I think I'm in the clear at least until next winter.

I think the biggest issue was her sensitivity to the photoperiod because the temperature didn't change much inside and it's been a very mild winter here. She does see natural light though, so she definitely noticed winter was coming. I tried cutting off heads, braining, various feeding containers, live pinks, day, night, scenting, everything I knew. I was about ready to take her to the vet before I tried the water trick.

Depending on how long it's been since your snake ate, you may also try a smaller meal. Good luck! It can be very stressful, but you just need a lot of patience.

I had a sub-adult female Western hog go for like 6 months without eating, then one day she started pounding mice like nothing happened. They're like balls sometimes in that respect.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Big Centipede posted:

I had a sub-adult female Western hog go for like 6 months without eating, then one day she started pounding mice like nothing happened. They're like balls sometimes in that respect.

Yeah, one of my female balls Ripley went a goddamn year without feeding after being bitten by a mouse. No braining, prekilled, color change, rats, etc got her interested. Then one day she fed and it's been good since.

Alice is a pretty good eater, Ches is less (then again Alice ate the day I brought her home) and right now the balls and sand boas are in a pre-breeding funk so NO one wants to eat.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I brought home my Crestie, named Geiko :v: It came in the Zoomed enclosure with all the decorations I posted above. I also got a cricket thing with some tubes in it, a big tub of yellow cricket gel, a decade's worth of repashi food, a giant heat lamp of pretty nice quality I'm going to test out for the hot side of my ball's tank, and a UV light. I didn't handle (her? I don't see a bulge and I'd assume this old you could tell visually?) because my hands were dirty from work but the owner did take it out so I could see. Very, very calm and well mannered, I was warned it likes to jump so take caution when handling. Other than that, everything sounded good. Apparently he bought it as a baby at last year's Seattle reptile expo from a breeder there.

Just missed: a non blurry picture of licking an eyeball :3:

I've currently got it set up next to the cool side of my python tank with a piece of cardboard cut to completely block any possibility of sight between the two tanks, is this ok? I just set it down there and can easily find another spot, I just happened to have some room.

Pardalis
Dec 26, 2008

The Amazing Dreadheaded Chameleon Keeper

Anhedonia posted:

Thanks a bunch for the help, I did hand feed him a bit and he seems to be happier. I'll try not to pick him up for a while unless he climbs on me.

I'm sorry, I don't think I was clear enough. You don't handle chameleons at all. They are not a pet to hold, touch, or bother. They will literally die from the stress of it and you shouldn't be giving him the opportunity to "climb on you". Leave him in his screen cage, provide lots of cover via live plants such as pothos or schefflera, hand feed him if he will accept it, and don't do anything to stress him out. Chams are very cute animals but are adapted to life hidden in tree canopies, far away from predators and where they blend in best. Constantly seeing us/dogs/kids/whatever is stressful enough for them without being handled ("grabbed by large predator") on top of it. Him climbing up is him acting on instinct to escape you, not to be like "hey dad". Does he drink for you when you water him?

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

I brought home my Crestie, named Geiko :v: It came in the Zoomed enclosure with all the decorations I posted above. I also got a cricket thing with some tubes in it, a big tub of yellow cricket gel, a decade's worth of repashi food, a giant heat lamp of pretty nice quality I'm going to test out for the hot side of my ball's tank, and a UV light. I didn't handle (her? I don't see a bulge and I'd assume this old you could tell visually?) because my hands were dirty from work but the owner did take it out so I could see. Very, very calm and well mannered, I was warned it likes to jump so take caution when handling. Other than that, everything sounded good. Apparently he bought it as a baby at last year's Seattle reptile expo from a breeder there.

Just missed: a non blurry picture of licking an eyeball :3:

I've currently got it set up next to the cool side of my python tank with a piece of cardboard cut to completely block any possibility of sight between the two tanks, is this ok? I just set it down there and can easily find another spot, I just happened to have some room.

Welcome to the most addicting little shits you can possibly keep.

hypnotoad
Dec 16, 2007

But shakin' its all I know!

Big Centipede posted:

Welcome to the most addicting little shits you can possibly keep.

This. This times a thousand. Oh god.

Speaking of which, I picked up a new one myself today!

Also picked up my very first leachie! I'm in love already. :3:

MUST OWN ALL GECKOS :shepface:

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Leachies remind me of fuzzy blue tongue skinks. Speaking of that, Jackie better be done hiding for shedding, I want some pics of the beast.

Angela Manaconda
Aug 1, 2010
I just got my first reptile ever! A gorgeous little beardie named Paarthurnax. I picked him up at the reptile expo in Etobicoe today. Expect pictures when I am back home at 2 in the goddamn morning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hypnotoad
Dec 16, 2007

But shakin' its all I know!

Angela Manaconda posted:

Paarthurnax

The best name. :3:

• Locked thread