Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bulging Nipples
Jan 16, 2006
This is the best workout song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viJ5W-E3EJc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LARRY JEW
Jan 7, 2010

Mopey Dick
I know there's a decent amount of Cam'ron fans in here and personally I never got really into him, where's a good place to start with him? The only songs I'm really familiar with are Killa Cam, Triple Up and a few others off Killa Season. I have no idea what else of his to check out/is he doing anything these days?

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Bulging Nipples posted:

This is the best workout song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viJ5W-E3EJc
Hahaha, true, the soundtrack of my early teens. I remember around the same time DMX's Grand Champ had come out and I was heavily bumping that as well as Obie Trice's debut album (it's a real shame he hasn't come out with another real studio album of new material after leaving Shady Records. I'm glad Bottoms Up is FINALLY coming out).
Good times...2003 was a pretty good year for rap music, I guess. If I remember right Get Rich or Die Tryin' had come out recently around then and Encore hadn't come out quite yet so Eminem hadn't entered his post-prime decline (I do often see people arguing that there were some foreshadowing signs on The Eminem Show though, but I disagree. I don't remember really being disappointed by an Eminem record until that ominous day where I purchased and listened to Encore the first day it came out, at like age 16. I did end up buying Relapse though, so I guess I didn't quite learn my lesson at the first opportunity to do so.)

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Feb 24, 2012

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

goldblums eyes posted:

as the really drunk aggressive black chick behind me on the bus last night stated, "when I listen 2 dat nigga waka i just finna punch a bitch in her mawfukkin face. u cum at me da wrong awy and waka playin? i'm layin yo fuckin rear end out COOOOLLLLLD bytch"

Just wondering, how do you pronounce "bytch"? Is it the same as "bitch?" Or was she just so black that you just KNEW she was somehow misspelling the word when speaking it? And same with "2", I always assumed that in spoken language there was little difference in pronunciation. And when writing it's typical to spell out individual numbers (depending on convention, I've heard that anything less than and including the teens should be spelled rather than written). Also are you sure she really said "mawfukkin"? You sure it wasn't "muthafuckkin"? or "mufucking"?

All of us in this rap thread do appreciate your attempt to make sure we know you're "down" by showing just how ignorant and uneducated you believe blacks to be.
-------------------

On less blatantly-racist matters, I approve of the new thread title. Also grime is great for working out, as a couple of people have pointed out.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
Why do people hate him that much? I know he's a nutjob with the conspiracy stuff, but that stuff has always been in rap.

farmtrill
Feb 2, 2006

Mike Tysons CARFAX posted:

I know there's a decent amount of Cam'ron fans in here and personally I never got really into him, where's a good place to start with him? The only songs I'm really familiar with are Killa Cam, Triple Up and a few others off Killa Season. I have no idea what else of his to check out/is he doing anything these days?

his best album imo is come home with me, also the first few dipset volume mixtapes from around then are great. then id maybe check the purple haze record and the last few dipset group tapes from around then, i think they go up to around volume 6. the best recent cam is probably the boss of all bosses 2.5 mixtape but id start with early 2000s stuff first

goldblums eyes
Jan 11, 2011

alansmithee posted:

Just wondering, how do you pronounce "bytch"? Is it the same as "bitch?" Or was she just so black that you just KNEW she was somehow misspelling the word when speaking it? And same with "2", I always assumed that in spoken language there was little difference in pronunciation. And when writing it's typical to spell out individual numbers (depending on convention, I've heard that anything less than and including the teens should be spelled rather than written). Also are you sure she really said "mawfukkin"? You sure it wasn't "muthafuckkin"? or "mufucking"?

All of us in this rap thread do appreciate your attempt to make sure we know you're "down" by showing just how ignorant and uneducated you believe blacks to be.
-------------------

yup, by transcribing what one really hood chick said into how she would've typed it makes me think all blacks are uneducated. I liked this post until the very end

blitzkreig.bmp
Aug 7, 2008

Rottin' and Rollin'

goldblums eyes posted:

yup, by transcribing what one really hood chick said into how she would've typed it makes me think all blacks are uneducated. I liked this post until the very end
is this supposed to be sarcastic? Because it sounds earnest when you look at your other post

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

goldblums eyes posted:

yeah it's obvious those "hood" blacks don't type right like us whites

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

come home with me is my fav cam album. id be surprised if you havent heard oh boy or hey ma. diplomatic immunity 1/2 is great as well in my opinion.

ps, love the loving thread title

Jock Mocken
Apr 7, 2005

on point like a unicorn, strapped like tha unabomb
everyday a work day but dont wear a uniform
Gucci Mane a dapper don, capper like a Capricorn

farmtrill posted:

his best album imo is come home with me, also the first few dipset volume mixtapes from around then are great. then id maybe check the purple haze record and the last few dipset group tapes from around then, i think they go up to around volume 6. the best recent cam is probably the boss of all bosses 2.5 mixtape but id start with early 2000s stuff first

Yeah Come Home With Me is good but Cam has owned since he was a Junior Mafia ghostwriter and running with Ma$e. Confessions of Fire and SDE definitely got some joints too. Basically listen to all Cam'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VvgdM7UTHE

there's only a video for the original version of What Means The World To You but the remix has UGK, Ludacris, Trina, and a young Juelz Santana so listen to that instead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cKic2mvbOs

also yeah appreciate the title change, thanks het :)

and regarding weird orthography I did a group project last semester with a dude who didn't really use any slang in his texts but substituted Ks for every single hard C. it was strange to see like "kompile" and "okkur"

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Jock Mocken posted:

and regarding weird orthography I did a group project last semester with a dude who didn't really use any slang in his texts but substituted Ks for every single hard C. it was strange to see like "kompile" and "okkur"

Iirc don't Bloods do that? I remember reading it somewhere but could be false, obviously.

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

In 2020, we're going to make the end of Fight Club real.

savinhill posted:

Why do people hate him that much? I know he's a nutjob with the conspiracy stuff, but that stuff has always been in rap.

For me it's a combination of taking himself really seriously, being really bad, having worse fans and being a prick to the rappers who have to share the stage with him.

Like, everyone I know who has gone to an ImmTech show either in the audience or as a fellow performer says he starts every set off with something like "Alright, now that that human being poo poo is over..." re: whoever played before him.

He also talks poo poo on his lovely white conscious rap loving Alex Jones watching audience and is a huge prick to his fanbase because he sees himself as being super hard and raw and doesn't like that his music only attracts crowds of lovely white people, but I mean I don't really fault him for that since ImmTech fans deserve to be punished. I have heard that cited as a reason some of my friends who have seen him live don't like him though.

goldblums eyes
Jan 11, 2011

waht does an immortal technique fan even look like

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic

alansmithee posted:

Just wondering, how do you pronounce "bytch"?

when you add the b"iyi"tch to the middle part

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlBMRIk7LZg&noredirect=1

there seem to be various spellings

chopper city
May 30, 2009

you in the choppa zone
where choppas is a must

alansmithee posted:

Iirc don't Bloods do that? I remember reading it somewhere but could be false, obviously.

Yeah, and crips put a k after every b or just switch out every b for c's. At least this crip kid I know does it on facebook and it's infuriating to read.

Any song with this beat has me goin hard in the gym (and I have like 8 of them on my ipod but I remember this one specifically, the dipset one is pretty dope too) http://youtu.be/t9Nbnq3sJOk I think fast pacing is more important than hardcore lyrics. DMX and Waka Flocka just pumps me up to shoot someone not lift weights lol. I don't know what grime is, is it different than regular UK rap? I like that there lowkey dude.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

SLAMMYsosa posted:

For me it's a combination of taking himself really seriously, being really bad, having worse fans and being a prick to the rappers who have to share the stage with him.

Like, everyone I know who has gone to an ImmTech show either in the audience or as a fellow performer says he starts every set off with something like "Alright, now that that human being poo poo is over..." re: whoever played before him.

He also talks poo poo on his lovely white conscious rap loving Alex Jones watching audience and is a huge prick to his fanbase because he sees himself as being super hard and raw and doesn't like that his music only attracts crowds of lovely white people, but I mean I don't really fault him for that since ImmTech fans deserve to be punished. I have heard that cited as a reason some of my friends who have seen him live don't like him though.
To be fair though, a lot of rappers take themselves too seriously, childishly diss other performers, throw around homophobic slurs, see themselves as super hard and raw to a delusional level, and often babble about all kinds of political conspiracy bullshit. Don't all those things sound super familiar in terms of rappers?
I mean, if I'm being honest here and identify the reasons you provided there and the reasons others give...the core things you despise about him are prevalent in a shitload of rappers that are beloved in this thread and in general.
I think a lot of NMS rap fans just like trying to seem hip/superior/witty by specifically ragging on Immortal Technique, because he's like one of those easy target cliche names that you see mentioned by oblivious fools who are like "I dig INTELLIGENT RAP, conscious underground hip hop braaaa" ala DefJux dudes and Sage Francis.

Not that I'm a fan (or hater) of Immortal Technique or anything. It's obvious he's not a particularly talented rapper in terms of flow or lyricism or anything at all. I liked him when I was like, 14, and I think he's one of those rappers where you discover him in like junior high or something and think he's amazing and then grow up to other much better poo poo.

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Feb 25, 2012

K-Flow
Nov 20, 2004

Jock Mocken posted:

Confessions of Fire and SDE definitely got some joints too. Basically listen to all Cam'

It really blows my mind cam doesn't get stick over that confessions of fire album cover. I guess in a time before no homo you could do those kind of album covers. Everytime I see it I think of that Simpsons episode where the gay steel mill worker says "We work hard, we play hard"

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

man what happened to Weezy, one minute he's releasing great mixtapes and the next he's playing guitar, falling off his skateboard and signing Limp Bizkit

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Limp Bizkit, Busta Rhymes, Drake, Lil Wayne, Nicki Minaj, Tyga, Mystikal, all on the same label now.
I would espouse the US government tactically nuking that room just to finally eliminate Drake, Fred Durst, and Nicki Minaj. Sure, you get a lot of innocent losses like Wayne and Busta but I think I'm willing to make those sacrifices for the greater good of hip hop.

The Lucas
Dec 28, 2006

mistermojo posted:

man what happened to Weezy, one minute he's releasing great mixtapes and the next he's playing guitar, falling off his skateboard and signing Limp Bizkit

Birdman signed them.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

mistermojo posted:

It didn't happen overnight. Weezy done so much syrup he even fall off slow.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

If immortal technique called me a human being I would just be :rolleye:

aniero
Oct 11, 2009

Watched MTVs 'Hottest MCs in the game' which was a complete waste of time.

So, question: most underrated? Go!

(not historically, current acts only)

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

aniero posted:

Watched MTVs 'Hottest MCs in the game' which was a complete waste of time.

So, question: most underrated? Go!

(not historically, current acts only)
I don't really know how to rank them, or if underrated would also mean overlooked...and underrated by who exactly...but some names that come off the top of my head are like...
Obie Trice, Lloyd Banks, R.A. the Rugged Man, and uhhhhh maybe Crooked I and/or Chino XL?

aniero
Oct 11, 2009

I didnt think much about the criteria, I guess I tend to think of it in terms of 'poo poo that the radio/MTV overlooks' but whatever comes to mind first works as well.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
The radio/MTV isn't interested in real rap, so I don't think you could even call it "overlooking."

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

SLAMMYsosa posted:

I saw him at Rock the Bells two years ago in NYC and randomly after a song he went: "Ayoooo! Ayoooooooo! Look at the nearest woman to your left... Look her in the loving eyes!!!! There's a good chance that she was raped in her lifetime... Look her in the eyes!!!!! This woman to your left might have been raped in her life!! She might have never loving told anyone but she was loving RAPED!!!! How do y'all feel about that poo poo!!?!? Etc. Etc. Etc."

He totally lost the crowd and more than half the fans left to find someone else to listen to. I've never seen the mood killed quicker than that in my life. It was awkward just being in hearing distance of the stage.

chopper city
May 30, 2009

you in the choppa zone
where choppas is a must

RCarr posted:

I saw him at Rock the Bells two years ago in NYC and randomly after a song he went: "Ayoooo! Ayoooooooo! Look at the nearest woman to your left... Look her in the loving eyes!!!! There's a good chance that she was raped in her lifetime... Look her in the eyes!!!!! This woman to your left might have been raped in her life!! She might have never loving told anyone but she was loving RAPED!!!! How do y'all feel about that poo poo!!?!? Etc. Etc. Etc."

He totally lost the crowd and more than half the fans left to find someone else to listen to. I've never seen the mood killed quicker than that in my life. It was awkward just being in hearing distance of the stage.

This actually INCREASED my respect for him. How terrible of him for challenging the status quo right??

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

:fella:Life is overwhelming:fella:
If I was raped I certainly wouldn't want someone staring at me trying to figure out if I was or not.

Iraff
Dec 29, 2008

jesus christ, that approaches michael scott levels in terms of "heart in the right place but insanely loving inappropriate"

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

RCarr posted:

Hahaha, he did the same thing when I saw him a few years ago. Except the scary part is people were cheering along. It wasn't quite random though, it was after he played "Dance with the Devil" and he started talking about "people ask me if this song is real, and i tell them 'yeah, this poo poo happens everyday'"

I've seen IT twice and both times it was just a weird mixture of really silly and uncomfortable and sad. Surprisingly nice guy IRL though

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
New Rugged Man album coming: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-2n5JYmzTk

Bulging Nipples
Jan 16, 2006

The Doo Do Chasers posted:

If I was raped I certainly wouldn't want someone staring at me trying to figure out if I was or not.

haha seriously, outting potential rape victims at a fuckin concert, great idea

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

In 2020, we're going to make the end of Fight Club real.

TheFallenEvincar posted:

To be fair though, a lot of rappers take themselves too seriously, childishly diss other performers, throw around homophobic slurs, see themselves as super hard and raw to a delusional level, and often babble about all kinds of political conspiracy bullshit.

Yeah, I mean it's not like ImmTech is alone in having any of these qualities individually, but like you said he is an easy target because he has all of them in spades.

I think what really does it is he sort of embodies everything that can be lovely about rappers. Like he has all the arrogance of a "conscious" rapper while fronting like he's all hard like a lovely "ignorant" rapper would. Not to mention the lovely battle rapper ethos he has too.

Plus, his music is impossibly bad.

I don't know, I think there are a lot of rappers who come close to ImmTech in a lot of these areas. See: the Strange Famous, Def Jux and Rhymesayers rosters. But as terrible as Sage and Slug are, ImmTech manages to be worse in every way and then some.

That rape banter sounds awful. I hear he likes to tell his white audiences poo poo like "at least you aren't at a klan rally..." which I guess is accurate since white power rallies are probably on the short list of Worse Ways To Spend Time Than Going To An Immortal Technique Concert

eighty-four merc fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Feb 25, 2012

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

SLAMMYsosa posted:

Plus, his music is impossibly bad.

I don't know, I think there are a lot of rappers who come close to ImmTech in a lot of these areas. See: the Strange Famous, Def Jux and Rhymesayers rosters. But as terrible as Sage and Slug are, ImmTech manages to be worse in every way and then some.
People think Sage and Slug (or say, Aesop Rock) are genuinely terrible? You also seem to just toss in the entire DefJux and Rhymesayers rosters too, I don't know...
I mean they have their hits and misses and embarrassingly lame moments, and most of them were the rap of my junior high years, but I think "terrible" is a bit much. Even saying they come anywhere close to Immortal Technique in terms of quality seems unfair.

To each their own, but I can still bump stuff like A Healthy Distrust or Labor Days even now (probably, I don't feel like risking shattering my nostalgia and actually doing so) and I think Atmosphere's EPs and LPs of the last two or three years have been pretty decent. I look forward to Aesop Rock finally coming out with a new solo LP whenever that happens. Same with Cage if he's dropping the weird emo rap-rock singsong bullshit he ruined his last album with.
Honestly Brother Ali's probably my favorite rapper right now and the only rapper other than maybe Kanye West that I can still actually shell out money and pay for new albums from without getting uneasy/nervous about it (though that'll change eventually, maybe his upcoming album Mourning in America and Dreaming in Color or collaboration album with Freeway will be harbingers of decline). They're not representative of my taste in rap in general or even my general taste in music and it annoys me when oblivious people who don't know much about rap still do that cliche bullshit about holding them up as purveyors of "real" or "intelligent" hip hop...but I definitely don't think they're anywhere near "terrible".

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Feb 26, 2012

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

The Lucas posted:

Birdman signed them.
Why the gently caress would anyone sign Limp Biscuit nowadays? I don't pay much attention to pop culture or much modern music at all nowadays, but I doubt there's any type of demand for a Limp Biscuit comeback.

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

TheFallenEvincar posted:

People think Sage and Slug (or say, Aesop Rock) are genuinely terrible? You also seem to just toss in the entire DefJux and Rhymesayers rosters too, I don't know...
I mean they have their hits and misses and embarrassingly lame moments, and most of them were the rap of my junior high years, but I think "terrible" is a bit much. Even saying they come anywhere close to Immortal Technique in terms of quality seems unfair.

To each their own, but I can still bump stuff like A Healthy Distrust or Labor Days even now (probably, I don't feel like risking shattering my nostalgia and actually doing so) and I think Atmosphere's EPs and LPs of the last two or three years have been pretty decent. I look forward to Aesop Rock finally coming out with a new solo LP whenever that happens. Same with Cage if he's dropping the weird emo rap-rock singsong bullshit he ruined his last album with.
Honestly Brother Ali's probably my favorite rapper right now and the only rapper other than maybe Kanye West that I can still actually shell out money and pay for new albums from without getting uneasy/nervous about it (though that'll change eventually, maybe his upcoming album Mourning in America and Dreaming in Color or collaboration album with Freeway will be harbingers of decline). They're not representative of my taste in rap in general or even my general taste in music and it annoys me when oblivious people who don't know much about rap still do that cliche bullshit about holding them up as purveyors of "real" or "intelligent" hip hop...but I definitely don't think they're anywhere near "terrible".

This. Cage and Brother Ali bore the hell out of me and Atmosphere is hit or miss but Aesop Rock is talented as gently caress. He was one of the first rappers I got into in high school.

savinhill posted:

Why the gently caress would anyone sign Limp Biscuit nowadays? I don't pay much attention to pop culture or much modern music at all nowadays, but I doubt there's any type of demand for a Limp Biscuit comeback.

They released an album last year and don't quote me on this but I think it did pretty well- well enough to get them headlining spots in European festivals. I really think that this is just some bizarre attempt for Birdman to "diversify" his label or something. It's not like he himself is doing anything big these days.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
this forever

JetLife

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HORNEY VAPE BRO
Jun 14, 2009

Slackerish posted:

I really think that this is just some bizarre attempt for Birdman to "diversify" his label or something. It's not like he himself is doing anything big these days.

It definitely seems like something Cash Money's doing to expand the brand into rock music. Birdman and Slim are both in their 40's I believe, and they might not be quite with it as far as what the kids are into these days like they were 5, 10, 15 years ago.

• Locked thread