Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

Philip J Fry posted:

I just played both of IV's expansions again and the game's controls have not aged well at all. Any time you got into a gunfight in close quarters, it was impossible to aim and get line of sight at poo poo and you'd get stuck to walls and all sorts of other crap while being filled with lead. Looking at you, Snow Storm in the burned-out hospital. Red Dead's controls were exponentially better though and felt far more fluid and responsive. My only other gripe with IV is the Vaseline-Vision and horrible shadows (console version anyway.) Still loved the game and had a blast with it.

Snow Storm was my kryptonite, I'd get so pissed and failed it so many times. I'd move through a corridor and someone would run past me 2 feet away and the auto-aim would spaz out while I took multiple shotgun rounds to the face. That really wasn't the best environment to show off GTA's gunplay. I ended up cheesing the mission somehow, I think I got a car in there eventually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Snow Storm isn't that bad. I find the mission pretty easy. It's funny how some of us find some missions easy as poo poo, and others find the same mission hard as hell.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast
That was the only one that gave me recurrent trouble. It was mostly just getting hosed over by the camera, but when I finally beat it I hauled rear end down the road and wandered into Burger Shot looking like pre-Robocop Murphy after getting target-practiced by Boddicker's goons.

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

Himuro posted:

Snow Storm isn't that bad. I find the mission pretty easy. It's funny how some of us find some missions easy as poo poo, and others find the same mission hard as hell.

It's easier when you find there's a boat next to the building.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
I just kill the guys in the building and when the cops come I run away from the building as fast as possible while avoiding cops, steal a cop car and bail out of there.

csidle
Jul 31, 2007

The problem with Snow Storm is that you'd be getting caught out by enemies in front, above and to the side any all kinds of poo poo. That's poo poo's not cool in a game where the combat controls aren't that great. It works in Half Life 2 because it's a fast paced mouse controlled shooter, but GTA 4 is a rather clunky console game and you can't have poo poo like that going on. So gently caress that mission.

That's the strength of Three Leaf Clover, that it's pretty much a linear but incredibly awesome mission. The only hard part is the evasion at the end and I didn't really have problems with it. I'm not saying you're stupid and poo poo for not finding it easy although you are but it's odd because it shouldn't as hard as a mission like Snow Storm.

csidle fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Feb 24, 2012

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I originally sucked at Snow Storm because I tried to take on the cops and would eventually be swamped. You really just need to haul rear end and kill sparingly. It's a mission that tricked me into thinking it was harder than it actually was.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Timeless Appeal posted:

I originally sucked at Snow Storm because I tried to take on the cops and would eventually be swamped. You really just need to haul rear end and kill sparingly. It's a mission that tricked me into thinking it was harder than it actually was.

Pretty much. Haul your rear end your out of there asap kill only dudes who are in your way. As soon as the cop cutscene plays you should really be running towards the front so you can steal a cop car.

I found myself really enjoying the more open GTAIV missions because they allowed to take guys out in my own order, with my own style. The construction mission was great for this. It makes sense because my favorite GTA missions are always the more open missions.

My favorite mission in the series is Expresso 2 Go. No GTA mission requires that you know the entire city, from top to bottom, all the best routes and shortcuts, all while executing a plan of action in a specific order to pass the mission as much as that mission. GTA3 really did have the best GTA missions aside from 2.

Jupiter Jazz fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Feb 24, 2012

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
The key to Snow Storm is patience, grenades and leaving immediately when the cops show

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Espresso 2 Go was pretty aggravating for me the first few times until I was able to really formulate a route around all the different areas of the city. Then it became awesome.

Similarly, the mission where you have to get Ray to the airport with a very short time limit without taking the Shoreside Vale bridge was super frustrating. Was there even another way you could do it besides taking the underground tunnel? I would always take the tunnel for that mission, and my car would get beat to hell because I'd be weaving in and out of traffic in narrow spaces and I kept hitting other cars. By the time I got Ray to the airport, my car was one hit away from catching on fire.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Espresso 2 Go was pretty aggravating for me the first few times until I was able to really formulate a route around all the different areas of the city. Then it became awesome.

Similarly, the mission where you have to get Ray to the airport with a very short time limit without taking the Shoreside Vale bridge was super frustrating. Was there even another way you could do it besides taking the underground tunnel? I would always take the tunnel for that mission, and my car would get beat to hell because I'd be weaving in and out of traffic in narrow spaces and I kept hitting other cars. By the time I got Ray to the airport, my car was one hit away from catching on fire.

Take a fast vehicle that's durable like a Stinger, don't bring a Comet. The tunnel is one route, or you can take the subway tracks. There are three possible routes you can take and that mission is all about pressure. Just keep your finger pressed to the gas and try to get the car dinged as little as possible.

Another fantastic GTA3 missions: Waka Gashira Wipeout. Assassinating Kenji can be a total bitch. I remember a lot of creative ways people would do to complete that mission.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...
Anyone with the PC version of GTAs before GTA 4 know if the xbox 360 controller works? The keyboard controls are bad, but on the bright side, I've learned to embrace my screwups for GTA and it's a lot more fun.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

r1ngwthszzors posted:

Anyone with the PC version of GTAs before GTA 4 know if the xbox 360 controller works? The keyboard controls are bad, but on the bright side, I've learned to embrace my screwups for GTA and it's a lot more fun.

I have San Andreas and it doesn't.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

AngryCaterpillar posted:

I have San Andreas and it doesn't.

It doesn't work natively, but you can get XPadder, download a profile, make a couple of changes to the layout in game, and then it will work fine.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

You can spawn yourself a tank because gently caress that mission.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY
The gently caress-you of that mission was that he gives you his unused bulletproof Patriot after dropping him off.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The first time I played through GTA3, I got in this big shootout with the cops right after I got in the bulletproof Patriot for the first time to test out whether or not it was really bulletproof. I got out of the car for some reason and was shot to death by an Army guy with an M4 or whatever that assault rifle was with the lightning fast fire rate. So I died, and when I respawned and went to go grab the car again, it was gone. I guess because I had taken it out of the garage.

Oops! :suicide:

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

The first time I played through GTA3, I got in this big shootout with the cops right after I got in the bulletproof Patriot for the first time to test out whether or not it was really bulletproof. I got out of the car for some reason and was shot to death by an Army guy with an M4 or whatever that assault rifle was with the lightning fast fire rate. So I died, and when I respawned and went to go grab the car again, it was gone. I guess because I had taken it out of the garage.

Oops! :suicide:

Another reason why GTA needs Saints Row's garage system.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Himuro posted:

Another reason why GTA needs Saints Row's garage system.
They already added a pretty good system in Gay Tony where you could call Henrique to bring you a new car, and the list changed depending on what mission reward vehicles you had already received.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Timeless Appeal posted:

They already added a pretty good system in Gay Tony where you could call Henrique to bring you a new car, and the list changed depending on what mission reward vehicles you had already received.

The point is, I want the game to save any car I put in my garage and respawn it for a tiny fee if it's destroyed.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice

Himuro posted:

The point is, I want the game to save any car I put in my garage and respawn it for a tiny fee if it's destroyed.

A tow truck/body shop setup would work great, and add new minigames to play.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
I love Saint's Row 3's garage system for Saint's Row, but it's just way too easy for GTA. I want the responsibility of taking care of my cars, it adds to the roleplaying element since they've made it painfully clear that GTA isn't gonna be the wacky funtime game with arcade handling that Saints Row is. Might as well keep them separated. That being said, I certainly wouldn't mind if there were an exotic car dealership like the ferrari and bike ones in gta4 that made it easy to get your hands on nice cars anytime you want as long as you can outrun the cops. Just give us access to more cars easily and maybe leave one or two that are super rare and we'll only come across in the wild on or a specific mission.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
It all depends on if there's customization. If you get a nice car, paint it a nice color, fix it up and make it really kickass, then you should be able to get it when you need it. If it blows up once, or gets left behind on a mission, or any of the other things that eliminates a car, then you will never drive it because you'll be too afraid to lose it. It's what happened in GTA SA.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Master Twig posted:

It all depends on if there's customization. If you get a nice car, paint it a nice color, fix it up and make it really kickass, then you should be able to get it when you need it. If it blows up once, or gets left behind on a mission, or any of the other things that eliminates a car, then you will never drive it because you'll be too afraid to lose it. It's what happened in GTA SA.

Yeah, as great as it was GTA SA had a good deal of the railroading that took over GTA IV. I'll never forget when you meet Cesar, learn about the car customization, get to pimp out a sweet lowrider...and then you don't get to use your customized car in the actual lowrider race.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Not to mention vehicles you win through game progression or rare vehicles. Who wants to use that bullproof car when it'll blow up and be gone forever?

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

The worst is when garages would randomly lose your cars anyway. So long, reward vehicles! I barely used you since it you were too easy to lose forever even without this bug.

I liked that VCS let you purchase the unlocked vehicles at car dealerships and had bulletproof cars outside of every business once you took over all of them. It was a great reward for putting up with its stupid gang warfare system.

Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

Whats the point of rare or special cars when 90% of GTA missions say gently caress the time it took to find a Sabre GT or Sultan RS etc, please drive this POS slow junker to the mission.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Jigoku San posted:

Whats the point of rare or special cars when 90% of GTA missions say gently caress the time it took to find a Sabre GT or Sultan RS etc, please drive this POS slow junker to the mission.

Ahahaha good point.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Jigoku San posted:

GTA IV was a bit better about this in that they would have the mission car, but you could usually drive your own car. The larger problem was when the mission ended up having you leaving you car by some great distance and/or getting in another vehicle. You car would vanish.

Lost and the Damned fixed this in a couple of ways. In a lot of missions, it's specified that your bike is brought somewhere else. Johnny's Hexer also respawns. The latter only works since it makes sense for Johnny to already have a favorite bike that he likes to ride. The former doesn't even always happen.

Honestly, I don't like the SR garage system for dumb immersion reasons. They already have a system for easily accessing good cars. I think they just need to incorporate a system for keeping better track of your car. Also, I'd appreciate you actually being able to buy cars.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Timeless Appeal posted:

Also, I'd appreciate you actually being able to buy cars.
This is hilarious in the context of these games, but hell, it'd make sense in GTA IV where you end up with ridiculous amounts of cash and nothing to spend it on.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Immersion is one of the last things I care about so I say do it.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got
One of my favorite things from GTA3 was getting randomly carjacked in shady parts of town, chasing down the carjacker, and beating the everliving poo poo out of him. Sometimes you'd lose your car though.

Now that I think about it, I spent a lot of time chasing random peds. The "fleeing" driving AI was pretty good in the GTA3 era games.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Knightmare posted:

One of my favorite things from GTA3 was getting randomly carjacked in shady parts of town, chasing down the carjacker, and beating the everliving poo poo out of him. Sometimes you'd lose your car though.

Now that I think about it, I spent a lot of time chasing random peds. The "fleeing" driving AI was pretty good in the GTA3 era games.

I loved that too. I was hoping that GTA4 would have random muggings in dark alleys and poo poo.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

Knightmare posted:

On both the PC and iPad versions, I sometimes make the drive all the way from the towers in Shoreside Vale to Portland and back to get a booby trapped car to leave around the towers.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

Knightmare posted:

I've lost count of the missions I've failed/had to try again because at some point during the mission I would spot this one red shirted fuckstain and then I'm driving my car off the road trying to kill him.

Which would end up with my car on fire and parked in a tree so I gotta chase him on foot and ...some people might get killed in the firefight and then the cops show up and shits all going crazy and I got some twat yelling in my ear about whatever mission it was I screwed up but damnit, that red shirted guy stole 10 bux, I had to!

Or when I'm trying to do a mission and I'm carefully driving along, obeying the traffic laws etc... oh sweet there's a ramp over that house gently caress yeaaaaah! Oh my car landed on a policeman.

And now I'm running for my life dodging gunfire, hiding behind trashcans and leaping from rooftop to rooftop and ohgod now I got 3 stars

Wait, what was the mission again?

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Knightmare posted:

Yeah I remember that! Those thieving bastards would also pickpocket you aswell. The cool thing is that they did these things to other NPC's aswell. Was always fun to watch an old geezer get carjacked, only to help out by ramming the offender and pulling him out of the car, leaving him to get beat up by aforementioned geezer.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Yeah, in terms of "immersion" GTA3 trilogy felt more alive.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Im just really hoping that GTAV is basically the gameplay of Chinatown Wars with the engine of GTAIV. That would be the perfect game to me.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
As king as they don't include another mission like the one where you had to dance in a dragon costume parade thing. That poo poo sucked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

GAY RETARD posted:

Im just really hoping that GTAV is basically the gameplay of Chinatown Wars with the engine of GTAIV. That would be the perfect game to me.

The drug dealing economy game + the side business model from VCS = oh hell yes

• Locked thread