Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

rotinaj posted:

The way I found to "cheese" the game was "play it every chance I got to find out what events end poorly when you take X, Y or Z action, then take the action that results in positive results".

I don't really see what you guys mean. I should have been taking bad results, because they're more in-character?

We're telling you that the way the events work makes that strategy sub-optimal long term. Losing a few weaponthanes or magic is minor compared to tribal dissolution. And unless they changed the game radically for the iOS from the PC version, the same event should have different solutions at different times - something your clan ring will alert you to but otherwise can mess you up.

However, the Eurmali solution to dragons or those weird scaled rat things are pretty much always the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Is there actually a solution to the rats? The best thing I've been able to do is to have a trickster lure them away, as that at least doesn't result in my thanes getting mauled, but they always come back. I have never played a game where they didn't show up.

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

rotinaj posted:

The way I found to "cheese" the game was "play it every chance I got to find out what events end poorly when you take X, Y or Z action, then take the action that results in positive results".

I don't really see what you guys mean. I should have been taking bad results, because they're more in-character?

Those choices don't always lead to bad things! In fact, taking the "wrong" choice can give you some of the best results in the game. You are completely wrong.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

A good example of clan tradition is outlawing people. If you let people off for various offences they could be outlawed for, you are much more likely to get a negative reaction for outlawing someone in the future. This can cause real problems with that bloody woman who keeps calling for the chief to step down. I've never managed to shut her up without outlawing her, but if you have a history of leniency you may find the whole tribe rallies round and you have to let her stay.

I was really excited to see an update listed, so its been a bit of a let down really. I won the long game twice (peace clan with Humakti queen, War clan with Urox king) and stopped playing regularly. I hope the universal version adds some new stuff.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

andrew smash posted:

Is there actually a solution to the rats? The best thing I've been able to do is to have a trickster lure them away, as that at least doesn't result in my thanes getting mauled, but they always come back. I have never played a game where they didn't show up.

I mean it's pretty much only a bad event. The trickster solution basically costs you nothing so that's the closest thing to a "solve." The other solutions either get the thanes or the carls pissed off, so if the balance of your clan has one or the other unhappy you should take that into account but that's pretty much it. It's frankly a kind of annoying event.

The events that are really great are the ones about court cases. I always felt like they let me do a lot to shape the character of my clan and tribe, and it always felt good knowing that my tribe was made stronger by my even-handedness.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Needlerats are only triggered by exploring your tula. So once you've unlocked all the crafting extras, stop exploring your tula. I think there are a few other things you can find there, but none of them are particularly important or worth risking the constant harassment of the needlerats.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

You can get the Catmen to wipe them out if you are lucky enough to have the ultimate cat lineage.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

freebooter posted:

Needlerats are only triggered by exploring your tula. So once you've unlocked all the crafting extras, stop exploring your tula. I think there are a few other things you can find there, but none of them are particularly important or worth risking the constant harassment of the needlerats.

But i want the grey neeeeeeet!

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Pwnstar posted:

You can get the Catmen to wipe them out if you are lucky enough to have the ultimate cat lineage.

Ha, this is something I've never even seen before. That's awesome.

seebs
Apr 23, 2007
God Made Me a Skeptic
Yeah, part of the brilliance of this game is that "most rewarding choice in terms of immediate effects" is not always the same as "best long-term strategy".

I have done quite well with a clan that is utterly consistent in giving people extra chances, etcetera; sure, sometimes we get burned, but the fact that we are behaving in ways pleasing to the ancestors makes up for a lot.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

andrew smash posted:

Ha, this is something I've never even seen before. That's awesome.

When they show up you get the option to give them one of your cat things as a gift. They might say your cats are tainted but sometimes they freak out and see that this is a pure, ultimate godly cat and they cry tears of joy as they go off to genocide rats in honor of your clan.

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

Pwnstar posted:

When they show up you get the option to give them one of your cat things as a gift. They might say your cats are tainted but sometimes they freak out and see that this is a pure, ultimate godly cat and they cry tears of joy as they go off to genocide rats in honor of your clan.

Oh, I don't think that is quite the same thing. The Yinkiin people just get rid of your vermin, which basically translates to being able to store more food - the Needlerats are a terrifying pest event that don't seem to go away once you start to get them.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

I actually wrote to the developers about needle rats, asking if it was a bug that you could never get rid of them. They said no, you just haven't got to the conclusion of the event yet. That was it, no more info. So there is a way...

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Sanford posted:

I actually wrote to the developers about needle rats, asking if it was a bug that you could never get rid of them. They said no, you just haven't got to the conclusion of the event yet. That was it, no more info. So there is a way...

Tricksters had better be involved.

I really wish I could play this game, unfortunatly the fact that I live in Britain and am unwilling to buy an i"thing" at the moment has kind of meant that a bit unlikely.

Its still so interesting to hear you guys talk about it though, is anyone thinking of doing a second LP?

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

gowb posted:

Oh, I don't think that is quite the same thing. The Yinkiin people just get rid of your vermin, which basically translates to being able to store more food - the Needlerats are a terrifying pest event that don't seem to go away once you start to get them.

Well once that happened I didn't run into any more Needlerats so maybe I was just lucky.

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

I sent David Dunham a message asking about the universal version, and got this reply.

quote:

Art is delayed, so there's no progress to report. It will however be Universal — we're only making one build, so if you buy now, it will eventually work better on iPad.

So I caved and bought it! I am, however, already very disappointed that they took out the Battle of Extinguish Field as the earliest clan event! None of the others seem to be battle oriented. :(

I guess the Hundred-Day Hunt will be my go-to, or maybe the Marking Bone. Even though Extinguish Field didn't give a particularly good blessing, I felt like it gave me better success in battle. Oh well.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Sanford posted:

I don't know what the conclusion would be, i've gone through the long game a couple of times and done any number of other screw around games. Once they start showing up, they keep coming back every few years and I've never noticed anything different about it that would seem to indicate I can change the event at all. Oh well, they're not a huge deal.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
I've been playing this again lately, and man, this game knows how to keep you on your toes. Things seem to work out for the better, though.

Early on, I get a bad harvest to start with, meaning that for the next five years I am constantly starving while trying to keep everyone alive and healed. Only by conducting constant trade missions can I keep enough food to prevent a large scale die-off. But then, a wandering tribe came into my tula and tried to bite off a piece of land; I was able to convince them to integrate, and then immediately had a portion of my tribe split off, leaving me net positive in terms of actual decent farmers and oxen. Managed to form a tribe after a while, and buy myself leadership, and everyone seems pretty happy about the whole thing so far. Wish I still had a trickster, though.

The other fun thing that I did was convincing the dragonnewts that another new tribe was a threat; they raided them pretty badly, so I wandered in and straight up told them that I had sent the dragonnewts, and then took all their poo poo and left. Instant feud. Later they came back and said they wanted peace. Nice to see they're quick to drop the whole "you sold us out to dragonkin and then stole our poo poo" issue.

Also holy gently caress capturing/ransoming trolls is profitable. Took 60 of them captive in battle, got 300 goods for them. I am a terrible person and I love it.:woop:

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Be careful of the troll god, she can get pissed off if you keep doing that and you may need to placate here which will cost you.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Tulip posted:

But i want the grey neeeeeeet!

Pretty sure exploration treasures are randomly generated and can be found anywhere on the map. Off the top of my head the only stuff unique to the tula is:

a) all the crafting materials (gems, clay etc.)
b) needlerats
c) stones with which you re-enact a battle for magic
d) maybe the dragon cart? might be a random event

I think there are a number of events (weaponthane fleeing the Pharoah, foreign clansmen poaching on your land, the rock spirit) which can be triggered by either exploring your tula or just randomly, and have interchangeable text.

Once you've done some thorough exploring you'll exhaust everything new there is, and be faced with endless events of either bark-clad shamans demanding sacrifices (and threatening real, possible events - not sure whether failure to sacrifice would trigger them or not) or the shaman warrior woman who kidnaps one of your party.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

freebooter posted:

Pretty sure exploration treasures are randomly generated and can be found anywhere on the map. Off the top of my head the only stuff unique to the tula is:

a) all the crafting materials (gems, clay etc.)
b) needlerats
c) stones with which you re-enact a battle for magic
d) maybe the dragon cart? might be a random event

I think there are a number of events (weaponthane fleeing the Pharoah, foreign clansmen poaching on your land, the rock spirit) which can be triggered by either exploring your tula or just randomly, and have interchangeable text.

Once you've done some thorough exploring you'll exhaust everything new there is, and be faced with endless events of either bark-clad shamans demanding sacrifices (and threatening real, possible events - not sure whether failure to sacrifice would trigger them or not) or the shaman warrior woman who kidnaps one of your party.

Grey net and the other kind of crappy treasures that i usually trade for other better treasures can be found in a lot of places, but your tula is pretty safe for exploring so that's usually how i do that if for some reason i really want some captives.

The bark-clad shaman thing always messed with my head. I was never able to figure out how exactly it worked out but hey i was willing to burn a few cows just in case that stopped me from getting chaos spawn or some poo poo.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
Well I'm continuing my proud tradition of being a horrible person.

Despite forging a reputation as a just and generous clan, and having been the most powerful, wealthy, and did I mention incredibly generous shining example of true Orlanthi virtue, the rest of the sniveling, craven scum that were part of my tribe somehow failed to understand the prophecies and wishes of the Gods. My wizard-king had lead them for 25 years, and I guess that they felt that they had some sort of right to see another clan lead. Despite my continued generosity, their foolishness led them to nominate a different king for the tribe than my 20 year old with renowned leadership, combat, magic, and customs. I had even performed a heroquest for this moment!

So I sabotaged the rites. The would be king died.

Then they selected another king. Yet again he had an unfortunate accident.

At last they saw the wisdom of the Gods and chose the king that I wanted. And yet again, a torrent of food, goods, and cows fell upon them, perhaps realigning them to the the path of rightness and virtue.

I am sure nothing bad will come of this.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Tiler Kiwi posted:

Well I'm continuing my proud tradition of being a horrible person.

Despite forging a reputation as a just and generous clan, and having been the most powerful, wealthy, and did I mention incredibly generous shining example of true Orlanthi virtue, the rest of the sniveling, craven scum that were part of my tribe somehow failed to understand the prophecies and wishes of the Gods. My wizard-king had lead them for 25 years, and I guess that they felt that they had some sort of right to see another clan lead. Despite my continued generosity, their foolishness led them to nominate a different king for the tribe than my 20 year old with renowned leadership, combat, magic, and customs. I had even performed a heroquest for this moment!

So I sabotaged the rites. The would be king died.

Then they selected another king. Yet again he had an unfortunate accident.

At last they saw the wisdom of the Gods and chose the king that I wanted. And yet again, a torrent of food, goods, and cows fell upon them, perhaps realigning them to the the path of rightness and virtue.

I am sure nothing bad will come of this.

This particular form of betrayal, as massive as it is, hasn't screwed me too badly in the past. It's hard to get two kings in a row, and honestly unless i have somebody truly incredible (the baby from the wandering female that had 4 legendary stats by the time she came of age and then claimed she wasn't destined for kingship haha too bad) i prefer to let somebody else have the first king slot - forming a solid tribe tends to leave my clan's resources fairly exhausted.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
Yeah, I was hoping to get on the grand victory tour quickly, so I got pretty annoyed when everyone started running around screaming about the destiny of being the NEXT king of the tribe after my current king was old. I had paid through to nose to get the tribe formed and to get the kingship, so I wasn't really in the mood to have some halfwit clan that I had been pumping full of goods and feasts a chance to sit some fatassed chaos-loving stickpicker on my throne and steal all the glory.

I felt like the murdering was simply fulfilling the prophecies of my greatness in its own, mysterious way.

edit: The game seemed to agree, and I managed to get through the endgame with little trouble. Its not like I was killing kin or anything important.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I picked up this game yesterday (virtually at the same time as I got my iPad :v:). I've read the LP, the manual, and played a little while but I'l still at a bit of a loss as to what to do from moment to moment (besides the overarching goal of 'don't die, form a tribe'). Is there any advice on what to do/what not to do/dear god don't do this that anyone can offer?

Also, what the hell, stop failing Orlanth and Aroka at the seduction stage, god you are the worst boytoy ever :mad:

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

- Explore. Explore everywhere.
- Sacrifice to the gods to unlock all the rituals (also unlocks heroquest info)
- Establish trade routes, send trade missions
- Pay back your favours. Ask other people for favours due.
- Raid (Fire and Storm only) and cattle raid (anytime)
- Give other tribes gifts
- Throw feasts
- Build up your defences
- Reshuffle your ring every now and then

A lot of those things require being wealthy, mind. In the early years it's just a constant struggle for survival.

The most important thing by far you can do to start establishing a wealthy clan is to get your harvest right. The intial balance is way off. The first thing I do every time I start a game, before even organising my ring, is to go to the food page and switch stuff around. Clear a shitload of woodland (and turn all your hunters into farmers). Don't tinker with the specific crops you plant, it pisses the gods off, just clear enough woodland that you have a yield between 1000-1200. Then recruit more farmers (to stop the ring whingeing about how people are overworked), but try to keep your population below 1000, because othwerise the game gets uncomfortable and keeps trying to make your clan split up. Get a Barntar shrine, get an Ernalda shrine, get some more cows, and pretty soon you'll be having a bumper crop every year. Only so much will spoil every year, so eventually it becomes self-perpetuating and you'll have years of bad harvests without even noticing. I usually have a reserve of about 2500 or 3000 grain. Grain becomes your base trading good and the key to acquiring everything else.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Ledneh posted:

I picked up this game yesterday (virtually at the same time as I got my iPad :v:). I've read the LP, the manual, and played a little while but I'l still at a bit of a loss as to what to do from moment to moment (besides the overarching goal of 'don't die, form a tribe'). Is there any advice on what to do/what not to do/dear god don't do this that anyone can offer?

Also, what the hell, stop failing Orlanth and Aroka at the seduction stage, god you are the worst boytoy ever :mad:

Sacrifice to Malia, raid the ducks.

edit: Also I set my wheat harvests to 55%, and the other two at 25% and 20%. I feel that helps prevent starvation, but it might be causing it for all I know. Didn't piss any gods off.

Also get the Earthblood/Sun/Rain blessings on to keep your crops alive, and then get Truesword as well. Get blessings that boost your combat ability in general instead of ones that only work if you use a specific tactic (then again I just did Charge every single battle and that worked out for me so).

Tiler Kiwi fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Feb 27, 2012

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011

Tiler Kiwi posted:

edit: Also I set my wheat harvests to 55%, and the other two at 25% and 20%. I feel that helps prevent starvation, but it might be causing it for all I know. Didn't piss any gods off.

Are you playing the PC version? I'm pretty sure they took out harvest management from the iOS version due to boring.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Oh c'mon you nubs, that's terrible advice about crops. Getting your harvest right makes a huge difference in getting through the early years, and it requires a little more oversight than that.

You have barley, wheat, and rye. Don't let any of them drop off below 15% or the grain mothers will get pissed and trash your harvest. The default setup (mostly barley, some wheat, a little rye) is pretty solid for most years - wheat is the most responsive to weather conditions so will fail hardest or succeed best, rye is the hardiest and will always give a good but suboptimal output, and barley is in between (also it is used for Orlanthi beer and has its own blessing). However, and this is Among The Most Important Commandments of King of Dragon Pass, sometimes you will get a message that this year will be particularly good or bad for harvest. If this is the message on the left hand of your screen during the sacred time, the first thing you should do during sea season is either crank your wheat up (if good) or your rye up (if bad). ESPECIALLY if you get the "this year will be a particularly bad harvest" message or w/e it is. If you gently caress up and have like 50% wheat during a bad harvest year you will get clobbered.

This segues to the whole point of "pay attention to your sacred time omens." Quite a few of them aren't very useful, but if you see a sword above your tula you have a goddamn job to do, same with the harvest ones or the heroquest ones.

You need to build up your clan, which means think about what assets have the longest term viability. Knowledge of rituals is the longest-term asset, defenses are fairly long term and really help things out, trade agreements are usually fairly stable, increasing traits on younger clan nobles is a good investment. Cows, food, goods, magic, and weaponthanes are all pretty easy come easy go, and cows and sheep are barely worth worrying about.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Yeah, there is no crop selection in the iOS version.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Tiler Kiwi posted:

Sacrifice to Malia, raid the ducks.

This sounds like a horrid idea because that goddamn duck.

I had him as my avatar for a while, actually, I should bring him back :v:

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
Yeah, I had no clue that the crops worked like that. Starvation was a huge problem for me at the start, but later on I could pretty much ignore it and I had such a large reserve from the good years that I didn't need to care about the bad ones. If I got a few years of bad harvests, then I just send a fleet of traders out to buy up all the foods.

What I really had problems with was sheep shortages. You can't buy sheep, and they're important for shrine upkeep.

And come on, they're ducks. They whine that they want to be treated like Orlanthi, so they better get used to being raided like one. :colbert:

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
Don't teach them that raiding you is A-OK, they will duck your face clean off your head.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I'm pretty much lost when it comes to clan ring organization. Can anyone lay down some ground rules to work with, either during the initial reorganization or later?

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
One time I raided the ducks, kicked their butts, and completely took over their land. And then the rest of the beastmen raided my clan and completely destroyed me. Don't raid the ducks.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Ledneh posted:

I'm pretty much lost when it comes to clan ring organization. Can anyone lay down some ground rules to work with, either during the initial reorganization or later?

You want:

Someone good at every skill.
Seven different gods.
Roughly even male/female split.
Your clan patron represented as the chieftain.

You can break any of these rules--the first two will make your clan weaker, though. You get less magic if you double up on some gods, and if you don't have anyone good at a given skill, that's a class of random events you'll fail pretty much every time. Failing the fourth rule will piss off your thanes.

The third rule is interesting... if you break it hard enough, long enough, it will become a new clan tradition. Thus, you can have a clan run entirely by men, or by women. But then having a 'minority' voice on your clan ring will damage your fertility.

(Damaging your fertility isn't bad, you might want to do that on purpose)

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
If you grow like crazy, you'll get too big and end up with too many mouths to feed. Having a shitton of kids can be doom.

Also, get all of the trade goods as quickly as possible. Green clay, glowing rocks/amulets, iron, ivory, and... There's one more, but I always forget. Search your tula until you find at least four of the five. Once that happens, you can and should make a temple to Uralda to keep Calf Blessing running all the time. Once you have that up, you should run the Issaries temple to keep your Market running profitably. Once you have that, make sure you have your maximum number of trade routes running.

This'll give you a surplus of cows and goods, that can get you through the lean times. A stockpile of food is nice, but food vanishes in the blink of an eye. One really bad year can be disastrous. Multiple can be a game over, plain and simple.

Edit: Raiding the ducks is bad. Very bad. They can and will whoop your rear end mightily.

Make friends with the ducks. I always had good, good luck making a trade route with 'em.

rotinaj fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Feb 27, 2012

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

Ledneh posted:

Here is some good advice for each season that I've been thinking about. None of this is hard fact, just a lot of speculation based on a lot of observation. I don't think anybody knows the hard facts about this game.

Sea is a very pleasant season. The weather is great and the fields are being planted, so everyone is in the mood to work. I think this makes trade missions more likely to succeed, and maybe a slight boost to diplomacy. It is also the best season to send explorers. Heroquesting during this season is probably a bad idea, as everyone is busy.

Fire is hot, hot, hot! Nobody has anything to do and everyone is irritable and sweaty. Diplomacy missions are a bad idea, though Trade missions seem to work fine. Raiding of course is the best idea during this time, though other clans will be more ready for them. Exploring is also good during this season, though not as good as during Sea. I'd imagine Elmal, being the god of the sun, likes his heroes to quest during Fire, but that bastard's quest is so hard that it is difficult to tell.

Earth is the best season for diplomacy. The weather is cooling off, and everyone is doing the happy work of harvesting, so tempers are low and everyone is looking forward to partying. This is a good season for peaceful heroquests, and for earth-associated gods like Ernalda or Uralda. Trade also does well in this season, especially requests for food.

Dark is a cold, lonely season, so people are eager to talk if you can get a mission through. Exploring your tula is the general thing to do early on, or you could sacrifice to the gods, because there really isn't much else to do. Dark gets boring as heck later in the game - you could try raiding, which no one expects, and will net you magic if you choose ice demons as your ancestral enemy. Humakt probably appreciates heroquests during this season, being Death and all.

Storm is a good season. The weather is somewhat unpredictable, but you can essentially do anything, and two big heroquests have an increased chance of success (Orlanth's, obviously). Be sure not to send your ring members on any long missions during this season, though! They'll be gone for Sacred Time and your ring will be considered incomplete, so you'll lose a bit of magic and be unable to put points into whatever category they contribute to - Trade for me, usually, which is bad because if Trade magic goes down, I usually lose a route.

Hope this helps! :D

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
The ducks near your tula are weak and cowardly but their cousins will burn your fields and kill your children while you watch and cry. Don't antagonize the ducks!

More specifically, you can torment the ducks to a certain extent if you really want to, but soon their buddies will show up and tell you to knock it off and when they do you better listen.

andrew smash fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Feb 27, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Tiler Kiwi posted:

And come on, they're ducks. They whine that they want to be treated like Orlanthi, so they better get used to being raided like one. :colbert:

Seriously they are way more dedicated to Humakt and Urox than you are and this is motherfucking disastrous for you if you get into a fight. They are the least likely to pick a fight and the most likely to win it. For the love of god their Uroxi berserkers are literally bull-men.

• Locked thread