Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Ponies ate my Bagel posted:

Snag a DRZ and throw on exhaust, big bore, carb, airbox mod and a cam, you'll be running around 45-50 HP and still be out less than a new 690.

Yeah but it'll be much less reliable and get horrible gas mileage. And it'll still need suspension work and brake work in order to get on the level of the KTM. And a diet.

So...what I'm saying is, having done this...if you're going to buy a DRZ, buy a DRZ. If you want more just save and wait for the KTM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Or buy two DRZ's for the cost of the KTM and be that guy.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

You'll be the coolest motherfucker in the world, until a 690 wheelies by at 90mph.

Real response: They are different beasts. You can be totally happy forever with a DRZ. 690 is a different level. It's... really something.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?

Not a 690, but not eight grand either.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

Gnaghi posted:

Not a 690, but not eight grand either.

The only thing I did to my 625 was throw a good brake rotor and pads on mine and de-peashooter the exhaust (first owner had the carb restrictor removed) and it was a phenomenal bike. Not 690 levels of awesome but definitely better than the couple DRZ's I've ridden. Basically, the 625 is at the level you can get a DRZ to after throwing a bunch of mods at it. And it's still going to have better suspension. :haw:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

needknees posted:

The only thing I did to my 625 was throw a good brake rotor and pads on mine and de-peashooter the exhaust (first owner had the carb restrictor removed) and it was a phenomenal bike. Not 690 levels of awesome but definitely better than the couple DRZ's I've ridden. Basically, the 625 is at the level you can get a DRZ to after throwing a bunch of mods at it. And it's still going to have better suspension. :haw:

They weigh less too.

Because of all the parts they rattle off.
:thurman:

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

How will the 625 perform on the highway? I'll be on it for like 10-15 minutes on my way to school. I ride a ninja 500 now so if it comparable or better I'll be fine. Also what should I look for if I go look at that bike?

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

KidDynamite posted:

How will the 625 perform on the highway? I'll be on it for like 10-15 minutes on my way to school. I ride a ninja 500 now so if it comparable or better I'll be fine. Also what should I look for if I go look at that bike?

That ad was an old screencap of mine, there aren't any 625s around for less then 5k now.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

KidDynamite posted:

The 625 is one of the worst highway bikes because of how much it vibrates, but that didn't stop me from riding it everywhere when I had one. I was okay with the discomfort because I just don't really give a gently caress, but I would get a numb hand or numb fingers from the vibration after an hour or so on the highway. Power was fine, thing will do over 100 in a short amount of time.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

http://newjersey.craigslist.org/mcy/2840666312.html

What do you guys think about this?

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

KidDynamite posted:

http://newjersey.craigslist.org/mcy/2840666312.html

What do you guys think about this?

Are you looking into tarding it out since you're posting it here? The price is a bit high for that mileage and age, especially if what you want is a supermoto. This is one of the older LC4 engines which tended to have some issues around this time in its life (between 10 and 15k miles) like bearings and various gaskets failing, so expect to do some maintenance over and above oil changes and valve adjustments.

That said, it looks nicely farkled and the suspension is in good shape, so that's worth something.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

I just want a sumo. I've contacted so many KTM dealers in the tri-state area and none of them are getting new 690's. Every 690 on craigslist is out in California where I would have to buy sight unseen and get shipped. Just such a hassle. Maybe a DRZ and use the extra cash to mod it.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

If you are willing to spend the money on an old LC4 and the extra cash to motard it, just get a DRZ. The older LC4's are not too trustworthy to begin with, and once they get older, it just gets worse.

Besides, buying a supermoto is always cheaper than buying an enduro and converting it.

A DRZ with a jet kit, pipe and 3x3 mod wont give up too awfully much to an old LC4.

That, or take the money you would spend on the bike and supermoto gear and find at least a 625 LC4.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Olde Weird Tip posted:

If you are willing to spend the money on an old LC4 and the extra cash to motard it, just get a DRZ. The older LC4's are not too trustworthy to begin with, and once they get older, it just gets worse.

Besides, buying a supermoto is always cheaper than buying an enduro and converting it.

A DRZ with a jet kit, pipe and 3x3 mod wont give up too awfully much to an old LC4.

That, or take the money you would spend on the bike and supermoto gear and find at least a 625 LC4.

I just went through this and a lot of guys were able to find DRZ 400 SM's with several mods pre-installed in the $4k range. Mine was stock with 5k miles @ $3800, if you're in an area that allows it you can always throw dirt wheels on the DRZ and do some offroading too. You can probably get a second wheelset a good bit cheaper for a DRZ than the others. The after market is also pretty huge so you can farkle it out.

I love KTM's, but the DRZ was pretty much at the edge of my range anyways.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Olde Weird Tip posted:

Hooligan Ray, first cousin of Layer Dan and Stan Derrup.

Dr. Joe Rider: motorcyclist; tuner, law-abiding citizen. Searching for a way to tap into the hidden fueling gains that all 4-stroke engines have. Then an accidental overdose of Hooligan Rays alters his body chemistry. And now when Joe Rider sees a stretch of pavement, a tight curve or concrete stairs, a startling metamorphosis occurs. The creature is driven by acceleration and pursued by critical Harley fanboys. [Rider:] "Mr. Dan, don't make me wheelie. You wouldn't like me when I wheelie." The creature is wanted for a reckless driving violation he most certainly committed ten times over. Joe Rider is believed to be off-road, and he must let the world think that he is off-road, until he can find a way to control the raging beast that dwells beneath him.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
So I eventually would like to re-gear the DRZ a bit. I'd like just a little bit more low end grunt power. I don't really ride highway or above 70 much at all. My daily commute is 9 miles of curves and about 4 miles of flat 2 lane 55mph road.

I don't ride highway at all, I prefer to circumvent the highway in any way possible even at the risk of adding miles/time to have a good ride.

Anyone have experience with a small gearing change that would benefit me?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Down a tooth in the front.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Z3n posted:

Down a tooth in the front.

So that goes from a stock 15 to 14 in front right? I'vet yet to even pull the cover for the front sprocket on the DRZ to check the stock size. Does it matter who I buy the sprocket from, are there any brands I should avoid?

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
Just for conversation sake, I have -3 teeth on the back wheel and it owns for high speed riding and fuel consumption. Average 54MPG too which is nice especially when I have done the 3x3mod, rejet and have an exhaust. Maybe I'm losing out on some SICK WHEELIE STUNTIN or whatever but it really made the bike work well for me in freeway riddled LA.

Minty Swagger fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Feb 24, 2012

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

BotchedLobotomy posted:

Just for conversation sake, I have -3 teeth on the back wheel and it owns for high speed riding and fuel consumption. Average 54MPG too which is nice. Maybe I'm losing out on some SICK WHEELIE STUNTIN or whatever but it really made the bike work well for me in freeway riddled LA.

If I was commuting on super slab, I'd definitely go that way. As is I get to ride twisties to and from work on a nearly deserted road. I want a little more low end grunt because all the corners are pretty short and there's not a lot of time to build speed between them. I'm not using anywhere near all of my available traction so I'd like to get a bit more power to the ground at mid-range speeds around 35-45mph.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

For small-bore bikes, I'm a fan of gearing down so you hit terminal velocity in 5th (or 6th) gear right around redline and then throw massive bar end weights on to kill the vibes. Most modern engines can handle extended high-RPM running just fine.

MotoMind fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Feb 24, 2012

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
I'm probably going to drop 1 in the front or go up 3 at the back on my drz aswell, currently its pegged out at 98 mph indicated in top gear, its not really comfortable above 90, so i'd rather have the fun factor of more acceleration.
Also want to do it because I suck at wheelies, i'd like to be able to pop it up in third a bit easier, with the stock gearing i can only get it to do a sad little hop.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
Congrats if you can get it up in 3rd. As is mine comes up really low in 2nd only. After 25 you're outta luck if you want to power it up. I'm 1 down in the front if I remember correctly.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
My DRZ doesn't currently pop wheelies, I don't know if it's the bike's fault or my fat asses fault. I don't mean it can't, it just doesn't do it. I find most of the time I'm running in 3rd or 4th though and having to shift a lot between them to hold my 35-45 avg. cornering spd.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

With the dirtbike gearing I could get the front to lift in 4th. 5th if I used a rise.

With the "balanced" gearing, it would lift in first, clutch up in second, bounce in third, 4th took a hill, prayers, and hating the clutch.

You're already running short gearing if you're doing 3rd or 4th to hold 35-45 mph cornering speed. I'd be in second or third and reving it out.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Z3n posted:

With the dirtbike gearing I could get the front to lift in 4th. 5th if I used a rise.

With the "balanced" gearing, it would lift in first, clutch up in second, bounce in third, 4th took a hill, prayers, and hating the clutch.

You're already running short gearing if you're doing 3rd or 4th to hold 35-45 mph cornering speed. I'd be in second or third and reving it out.

I should probably be in second and third, I'm just being a pussy about it. I really wish the bike had a tach, but not enough to add one lol. What is the redline on the DRZ and is it an issue if it bangs off the limiter a few times before I shift?

I'm trying to go slowly and not get overconfident. I've only had the bike for a week and I know I'm nowhere near familiar with it yet. That being said it's so hard to go slow and this bike is so much damned fun.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

There is a soft limiter on the S models, you can run it straight into it and it's not a big deal. Don't keep it there, obviously, but why would you do that?

Limiter is 10k. If you get an E model CDI it moves it up to 10.5k and has a hard limiter rather than a soft one.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Ive been pondering similar on my 690sm, for some reason i have in my head i think its just not accelerating hard enough.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Aargh posted:

Ive been pondering similar on my 690sm, for some reason i have in my head i think its just not accelerating hard enough.

That's the perfect way to describe how I feel about mine. It's fun it's quick but I'd like a little more out of it.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Need to re-gear mine as well. Good for track days at little tally but there is no reason a CRF needs to hit 130+. It already lifts the front through third with hard acceleration and a little tug so different gearing should be fun.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

I've been thinking of regearing the Husky too. The track I was on last year was super tight so I could use some extra pep to keep up with retarded fast converted 450s. Now that organization is out of business so I'm going to have to see what OVRP in NY is like.

Also still need an exhaust and re-jet. :sigh:

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
Any reason not to get an Aluminum sprocket?

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
They wear faster. Not a real big issue on a supermoto I wouldn't think. Less mass is a nice trade off.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
They wear faster than ye olde steel.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
Got it, buy 2!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I run the aluminum 7075-T651 sprockets from https://www.pbisprockets.com on my Bandit and they've held up really well, as well as being pretty cheap from PBI.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Olde Weird Tip posted:

I run the aluminum 7075-T651 sprockets from https://www.pbisprockets.com on my Bandit and they've held up really well, as well as being pretty cheap from PBI.

I was looking at this, https://www.denniskirk.com/lightweight-front-sprocket.p8097413.prd/8097414SC.sku

Also, I was going to grab the stuff for an oil change, do I need anything special or just an oil and a filter?

Also what oil should I use?

Which Ice cream should I get?
:madmax:

E;
Found my power issue, there's a 16t on the front. I ordered a new sprocket and some oil change stuff.

Ponies ate my Bagel fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Feb 25, 2012

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷

Aargh posted:

I have a 690E with the 17" wheels, and the stock 15:45 gearing. It's short... In 1st you have to make an effort to keep the front down. It's ridiculous, but I love it.

The gearing doesn't make any major compromises for the freeway. In sixth it felt comfortable around 70mph (no tach).

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

From the FIM SM World Championship.

Hang in there for "THE TURN". You'll know it when you see it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHJHQYvqqNk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Olde Weird Tip posted:

From the FIM SM World Championship.

Hang in there for "THE TURN". You'll know it when you see it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHJHQYvqqNk

I want to try this. One day.

• Locked thread