Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
What the gently caress? That's not Tom Baker!

Edit: RAARGH 9000 MOTHERFUCKING AERO :awesome:

InitialDave fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Feb 26, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I would love it if Jeremy and James did a potted history of some aspect of motoring every week. Every time they do one (how modern controls developed/communist cars/Saab) it's gold.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
Yeah, Enthusiast Top Gear is much more fun than Arsehole Top Gear. James doesn't get to do enough history about cars.

I've nearly been hit by Siralun's Rolls-Royce twice in my life, one of those times being at the BBC. Glad to see it menaces other people and not just me.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Any idea how long this series is? I'm getting worried. :ohdear:

Evanauto
Jul 27, 2007

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God.

Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed among cocktails.
Pray for me now, and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.
Amen.

Residency Evil posted:

Any idea how long this series is? I'm getting worried. :ohdear:

Two more for a total of seven.

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

He looks so happy.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

My saab 99 turbo has 2 EXTRA buttons :smug:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Tomarse posted:

My saab 99 turbo has 2 EXTRA buttons :smug:
Read all about it!

Knobjockey
Jul 21, 2003

Crush your enemies.
Bang! and the alien is gone.
Hear the lamentation of Dr. Vahlen.
I'm going to press the extra button darling!
Must you dear? You remember what happened last time... to mummy.

What do they/it do? Why do you need two? Google mode = reticent.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
The race at the beginning was fluff, wish they would have used that time for the Saab segment, that was gold.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Yeah Saab segment was fantastic. I'd rather just watch more of James and Jeremy driving around reminiscing about old cars.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
I was sure I had seen the race at the beginning, it was on one of the dvd.

I love the Jeremy and James do some kind of history segments. I get the feeling they they like each other way better then they like Hammond.

I can't get into TGUS.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

sbaldrick posted:

I love the Jeremy and James do some kind of history segments. I get the feeling they they like each other way better then they like Hammond.
I loved how during the Saab segments, it was (at least it seemed like) they were just shooting the poo poo while driving around in the countryside. Not the most exciting episode, but definitely a great one.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Am I having extreme dejavu, or did they cut up an old top gear episode and a Jeremy Clarkson special into that Saab review?

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

I was specifically talking about the part where James and Jeremy compare the Saab to a jet.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

sbaldrick posted:

I can't get into TGUS.

I read the first two episodes of this new 3rd season were actually leftovers filmed from season 2. Fingers crossed the real new episodes will jump up a bit in quality. The last two episodes were good but not great.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
It doesn't have James, but Clarkson's old hot hatches special is really good if you liked the Saab segment:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRZpBakWJuE

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

You can always trust that there'll be a hottie up front.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
Girls not bad either yeah.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

jojoinnit posted:

Girls not bad either yeah.

:rimshot:

I knew that was coming.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
A thing I noticed during this week's TGUK was that the audience seemed to be... a lot more into it? Usually you can tell that they're just layering a bunch of canned responses because, well, really, but this week the audience legitimately was laughing a lot and having more fun this week than on average.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I know some people havent been too keen on the star in a reasonably priced car segments for this series, but I have enjoyed all of them lately. Sure, some of them use it to hock whatever movies they have coming out, but it has been way more entertaining lately.

Petekill
May 14, 2005

Where's Hammond?
Well I'll call him!
Perfect timing on the Saab tribute, I just sold my 9-3 a couple hours ago. Godspeed my little Swede. I wish the Saab tribute would have talked more about the crazy Aero models and Saab's rally history, but I still enjoyed it immensely. That 99 Turbo is gorgeous.

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp

KKKLIP ART posted:

I know some people havent been too keen on the star in a reasonably priced car segments for this series, but I have enjoyed all of them lately. Sure, some of them use it to hock whatever movies they have coming out, but it has been way more entertaining lately.
I've been rewatching season 1 and the SIRPC is much more tolerable then than now. Less "pimp my product" and actually more car discussion. Harry Enfield and JK actually had a good car conversation and seemed interested in the show. The guests this season seemed bored to be there.

whiskas
May 30, 2005

Jut posted:

The guests this season seemed bored to be there.

That's because the studio they are working for is forcing them to be there so they can market their movie.

the poi
Oct 24, 2004

turbo volvo, wooooo!
Grimey Drawer

Knobjockey posted:

I'm going to press the extra button darling!
Must you dear? You remember what happened last time... to mummy.

What do they/it do? Why do you need two? Google mode = reticent.

Apparently it's an extra button. Like literally, it's an extra button. You can use it to switch extra stuff on and off. Saab--clever, but no one realizes it.

Alex_DeLarge
Sep 28, 2001

Newcastles at Noon
Loved the Saab tribute. The dead pixels on the SID made me laugh more than it should:

And I too went from a Saab 93 to a 5 series.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

"shuffle shuffle shuffle shuffle"

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

the poi posted:

Apparently it's an extra button. Like literally, it's an extra button. You can use it to switch extra stuff on and off. Saab--clever, but no one realizes it.

Yep, its just an optional switch that fits into the standard dashboard cutouts that you can wire up whatever you like .
I imagine on the top gear 99 it controlled the pair of cibies that it had mounted on the front bumper.
Mine manually overrides the 5th cold start injector and the cooling fan.

Knobjockey
Jul 21, 2003

Crush your enemies.
Bang! and the alien is gone.
Hear the lamentation of Dr. Vahlen.
Thanks guys.

Enjoyed the saab section for the unforced blokey chat.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

That girl behind Hammond during the news :swoon:

Also he didn't give himself pleasure while driving, what's up with that?

And I had no idea Saab was being finally completely shut down, I thought someone had bought them (again). That sucks.

Sucks even more for all the E30 maniacs going nnnNNOOOOO!

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

japtor posted:

"shuffle shuffle shuffle shuffle"
I'm greatly disappointed that they didn't do the third challenge, where Richard would "perform an act on himself" while driving.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Just imagine this but with Hammond, and "himself" instead of a water bottle, challenge complete!

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Maybe he was going to apply teeth whitening products.

HauntedRobot
Jun 22, 2002

an excellent mod
a simple map to my heart
now give me tilt shift
This is from a few pages back but about LEDs flashing on the slowmo shots, people were saying "they dim LEDs by pulsing them"

While it's true you can DIM LEDs by pulsing them on and off, for headlights and brakelights it's actually done to make them brighter. They basically shove a higher voltage through them which makes them glow brighter than 100% brightness*, but that generates extra heat which would make them fail much quicker. So they pulse them with long gaps in between each pulse to allow them to cool down, and it's all done so quickly you get the benefit of the extra light without being able to see the flicker.

*In reality, this is such a common design talking about 100% brightness is handwaving, they pretty much expect you to run them that way, and give you a little chart showing brightness against voltage and thermal characteristics.

LED TALK.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I absolutely despise that dr who bloke and I'm not sure why. I went to make a tea when he was on.

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp
Wait, I swear I've seen the jetpack vs rally car thing before:S

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I loved that Saab part. I want them to do a segment like that for every car company, even the terrible ones.

So far they've done, let's see... Saab, Maserati (when reviewing the Enzo knockoff), Lancia, um... any more?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

CornHolio posted:

I loved that Saab part. I want them to do a segment like that for every car company, even the terrible ones.

So far they've done, let's see... Saab, Maserati (when reviewing the Enzo knockoff), Lancia, um... any more?

British Leyland :downs: