Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

I wish that I believed in fate
I wish I didn't sleep so late
I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders
Was just about to come back with Aquino's name. I don't think he would part with Kennedy or Bocachica.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, there's plenty of other balls in the sea. Plus, you're not very talented.
Yeah, that trade is awful for you. I think calling Martin a 3/4 is generous and Vern is nothing special and already into arbitration which sucks a lot of value from a guy like that.

Virgil is a step below Leo Egan territory as a hitter and you need to treat him as such.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

ThatsMyBoye posted:

Was just about to come back with Aquino's name. I don't think he would part with Kennedy or Bocachica.

Even still, I'd counter with Lewis and some other stuff you won't miss for Aquino and two of Kennedy, Bocachica, and Rosado. Worst case he tells you to pound sand, but at least it gets the right names on the table and gives him a negotiating point if he wants to make an actual big offer for Lewis. Can't hurt to ask.

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

Yeah, when I pushed for one of Kennedy/Bocachica, things stalled. He seemed willing to include Aquino but it's not quite there.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

Thinking of entering this team in petco if we do a goonrush soon. Someone just make me a pitching staff, as we both know anything I do will be terrible as usual.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Look at all those PAs

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Probably going to be looking for an OL to rush some time this week. Last count we've got Art, gardenald and ZJ interested. Any other takers before I start keeping an eye out?

saffi faildotter
Mar 2, 2007

me

Bob Shabazz
Oct 21, 2008

At 12:17 a.m. MU police spotted Mauk, 19, run a stop sign while driving his scooter east on Kentucky Boulevard - with two female passengers on board.
I want to do a thing but I can't build a team until later tonight

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
I have enough free SLB teams that I'd probably play, but I don't have anything sitting around either.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

That's why I'm getting it out there now so y'all have a chance to get something made in the meantime.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

Are we going to do another WiS yahoo fantasy baseball league like we did last year?

CanadianJericholeaf
Jun 9, 2004

by Lowtax
I just made the playoffs with all of my current teams (4) for the first time. In Mordecai I went from 51-111 to 93-69 with a first round bye.

I guess what I'm trying to say is

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

If you win a World Series and don't post a WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPION gif I will be very disappointed in you.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

AlleyViper posted:

Probably going to be looking for an OL to rush some time this week. Last count we've got Art, gardenald and ZJ interested. Any other takers before I start keeping an eye out?

Me please

ArtVandelay posted:

Are we going to do another WiS yahoo fantasy baseball league like we did last year?

Just don't let evilbeard create it, we'll have hits singles doubles triples dingers and total bases as scoring categories.

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

In the end, it comes down to throwing one pitch after another, and seeing what happens. With each new consequence, the game begins to take shape.
So I've decided to do team gritscraphustle for the goonrush, featuring:

C 2003 AJ Pierzynski
1B 2007 Chone Figgins (out of position, hey why not, plus I couldn't think of any good scrappy 1b)
2B 2011 Dustin Pedroia
3B 2006 Nick Punto
SS 2006 David Eckstein
OF 2007 Jeff Francoeur
OF 2003 Juan Pierre
OF 2001 Jim Edmonds

Did I forget anyone? Got any better suggestions?

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

gardenald posted:

I couldn't think of any good scrappy 1b

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

Would this team be any good?

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

In the end, it comes down to throwing one pitch after another, and seeing what happens. With each new consequence, the game begins to take shape.

AlleyViper posted:

That goddamn picture

Good call, though.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

I love you, Art. Don't ever change.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

AlleyViper posted:

I love you, Art. Don't ever change.

That's not helpful. Tell me why it sucks.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

It's not a matter of whether or not it sucks, there are just so many Art things going on with that team, it's a thing of beauty. Also, when has any of us telling you if a team sucks or not ever affected anything?

This is the monstrosity I'll be using. I was going to use it for the last rush but decided I wanted to do a performance history team instead.

Yes, that's Carlos Beltran at 3B.

Yes, that's Jason Varitek in the OF.

Yes, that's Juan motherfuckin' Pierre.

Pokey Reese is an A-/A+ 2B. He will be playing SS.

Roy McMillan is an A-/A+ SS. He will be playing 2B.

I'm really curious to see what kind of results this produces.

Bob Shabazz
Oct 21, 2008

At 12:17 a.m. MU police spotted Mauk, 19, run a stop sign while driving his scooter east on Kentucky Boulevard - with two female passengers on board.

gardenald posted:

C 2003 AJ Pierzynski
1B 2007 Chone Figgins (out of position, hey why not, plus I couldn't think of any good scrappy 1b)
2B 2011 Dustin Pedroia
3B 2006 Nick Punto
SS 2006 David Eckstein
OF 2007 Jeff Francoeur
OF 2003 Juan Pierre
OF 2001 Jim Edmonds

'11 is clearly the superior Franceour, also apparently I have his only performance history.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

AlleyViper posted:

It's not a matter of whether or not it sucks, there are just so many Art things going on with that team, it's a thing of beauty. Also, when has any of us telling you if a team sucks or not ever affected anything?

Bip isn't on it. I've never used Peitz or Clements, as well as Reynolds or Gavvy. Yeah, the pitching is boring, but i've always found drafting offense is more interesting than drafting pitching.

I have a feeling that whatever I drafted, you'd still criticize.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

I didn't criticize anything!

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:
God drat jeff, just god drat.

Jeff wins the awesome award for most Kingmans. If I might suggest Yankee Stadium III? My '79 Kingman hit 50 homers there in the last OL.

Bob Shabazz
Oct 21, 2008

:yum:

Zamboni Jesus
Jul 3, 2007

We don't really care about what that bug-eyed fat walrus has to say

w/e

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

:gonk:

CanadianJericholeaf posted:

I just made the playoffs with all of my current teams (4) for the first time. In Mordecai I went from 51-111 to 93-69 with a first round bye.

I guess what I'm trying to say is

And I have 9 more wins and have a WC1 :suicide:

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Kind of wish the All-Star break hadn't come when it did in Hometown

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

26-5 is some '07 Rockies-type poo poo.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

I was exactly .500, 30-30, before this stretch, and sitting in third place in the division. Now up by one game.

I signed this guy in the off-season to be a cheap back end innings eater and he has been an absolute horse, second in the league in innings with a league leading 15 wins (which is a career high). Even if he craters the rest of the way he has easily earned the $2.7m I've paid him.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

So, I guess i'll be the commish of the WiS yahoo baseball league. Signups start NOW. I'd say it's a 12 man rotisserie unless you all would rather do H2H. I'll figure out stats and stuff when I get home later tonight.

saffi faildotter
Mar 2, 2007

gardenald posted:

C 2003 AJ Pierzynski
2B 2011 Dustin Pedroia
3B 2006 Nick Punto
SS 2006 David Eckstein
OF 2007 Jeff Francoeur
OF 2003 Juan Pierre
OF 2001 Jim Edmonds

Scott Podsednik

e: oh and here's my team

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

I'm going to start keeping an eye out for an OL so everyone be prepared.

Double check of everyone who wanted in:

Art
gardenald
ZJ
MBU
Bob
jeff
kensei

Did I miss anyone?

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

:gonk:
Stupid updates being delayed, I have playoff games that need to be simmed!

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Devo posted:

God drat jeff, just god drat.

Jeff wins the awesome award for most Kingmans. If I might suggest Yankee Stadium III? My '79 Kingman hit 50 homers there in the last OL.

I did this same team over a year ago :colbert:

Except I had Davey Johnson so I could title it 'King Johnson of York'

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Oh and I can also probably be ready for an OL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

You also did Kingman Presents Dingerdrome 2 so jeff is way behind the curve here.

• Locked thread