Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

Zenzirouj posted:

You may want to keep in mind that the only source of that information is Coyote himself. All we know for a fact is that he's extremely powerful (swatting Ysengrim like a bug, his control over the ether, shapeshifting, his tooth), but he's almost certainly a huge fibber.

Coyote is no liar.

He's certainly omitting some things, but Tom's made it pretty clear that he's what he says he is.

I doubt it will ever be made clear whether he's got some hidden master plan or is just an omnipotent prank-loving idiot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torgover
Sep 2, 2006

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I'm going to go with omnipotent prank-loving idiot, or at least omnipotent prank-loving god. However, from the moment he was introduced my perception has been colored by Christopher Moore's Coyote Blue, in which Coyote does have a big master plan, but the master plan in its entirety is just to get people to tell more stories about him. I might add that so far the characterization has been pretty much exactly the same.

Torgover fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Feb 25, 2012

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
Which makes it all the more odd, unless he was being metaphoric about the sun and moon being his eyes. He took and hid the moon, his own eye, so that he could get the other animals to have him take its place. So that he could watch them.

Although that story could have been before his eyes became the sun and moon.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

Kgummy posted:

Which makes it all the more odd, unless he was being metaphoric about the sun and moon being his eyes. He took and hid the moon, his own eye, so that he could get the other animals to have him take its place. So that he could watch them.

Although that story could have been before his eyes became the sun and moon.

Nothing odd about it - I think he just wanted to screw with everyone's minds.

TOAST7312
Oct 18, 2010

AT: uHHH, nO DAD NO!
Could it be that Jones is part Earth Elemental in the same sense that Annie is Fire?

This might explain the strength/weight thing, and the personality of a rock! :v:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I like to think that Coyote doesn't have any plan. He just likes loving with people.

Do I really look like a guy with a plan? You know what I am? I’m a dog chasing blinker stones. I wouldn’t know what to do with one if I caught it! You know, I just, do things. The Court has plans, Gillette Wood has plans, Rendard’s got plans...

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

gobbledygoat posted:

I'm hoping it'll be a continuation of the story of the story of the moon-girl

I think she was another god :eng101:

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Read that chapter again (obviously) and now I'm wondering who's body renard stole. That seems like the sort of thing that would be important.
My last reading made me think that Eglamore would be the most likely candidate given what we know of their past, aside from the fact that he's still alive. Maybe the old games teacher?

Hammer Backspace posted:

What I'm trying to say here is Coyote is the best.

Agreed.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

ATP_Power posted:

My last reading made me think that Eglamore would be the most likely candidate given what we know of their past, aside from the fact that he's still alive. Maybe the old games teacher?

No, the old games teacher was quite an old man, the guy he stole was young.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

Hammer Backspace posted:

What I'm trying to say here is Coyote is the best.
No argument here.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!

MikeJF posted:

No, the old games teacher was quite an old man, the guy he stole was young.

Annie's dad. He survived by becoming a computer and moving into a robot body (not much of a change for him) and is currently a satellite. :tinfoil:

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Coyote not wanting to be pestered for teeth is a weak explanation, because we already know of two other cases of Coyote trying to give out gifts (Rey and Ysengrin) and both times it ended poorly. It's not exactly a secret that Coyote can be 'generous' if he takes an interest in you.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
On the bottom of the comic where the "young man" appears, Tom says "No, you do not know who the guy is yet." I believe that meant that it was a character we had not been introduced to at that time. Which is not surprising, since he's dead. I don't think this is one of those situations where he'll secretly turn out to be someone else; I think it's going to be a flashback story like Ties, Sky Watcher, or Coward Heart where we learn about who he was and why Reynardine chose to possess him.

Something to ponder: he went to the Forest. We would know that anyway because Reynard couldn't come into the Court except, presumably, on Official Coyote Business, but the little piece of a scene we see on that page shows him crossing the bridge anyway after being possessed. What was he doing there? Surma was the Court's representative there.

Elftor
Jan 10, 2003
Maybe he had green fever, like Jeanne.

edit: Forest fever?

Elftor fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Feb 25, 2012

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh

Elftor posted:

Maybe he had green fever, like Jeanne.

edit: Forest fever?

By the same extension, did Kat have the bird flu?

Robo Pope
Jul 17, 2004

I AM THE POPE, DO AS I SAY.
I'm betting that Annie's dad is calling cause the Court told him she was skipping detention.

Torgover
Sep 2, 2006

That would be great. Can't get hold of him when she has head trauma, but if she skips detention, oooh boy. Perfect joke for a school-age story.

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh

Olivia42 posted:

That would be great. Can't get hold of him when she has head trauma, but if she skips detention, oooh boy. Perfect joke for a school-age story.

While we're on the subject, it still seems weird to me that the response to her fleeing the Court and putting everyone there in danger was basically "unlimited detentions".

It'd be hilarious if that was their bureaucratic answer to everything.

Setting fire to a teacher? Detention.
Trapping someone in a hellish dimension with spider monsters and faceless people? Detention.
Exposing an old school secret where someone was sacrificed and turned into a hate-filled ghost? Saturday detention.

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

Ironic Twist posted:

While we're on the subject, it still seems weird to me that the response to her fleeing the Court and putting everyone there in danger was basically "unlimited detentions".

It'd be hilarious if that was their bureaucratic answer to everything.

Setting fire to a teacher? Detention.
Trapping someone in a hellish dimension with spider monsters and faceless people? Detention.
Exposing an old school secret where someone was sacrificed and turned into a hate-filled ghost? Saturday detention.

Well, the only escalation from there is suspension and expulsion. I doubt they really want to kick her out, she's probably considered too valuable just for being a potential medium (and unwitting spy on Coyote). I imagine they are bending quite a few rules for her, it's just not as obvious.

Tom's writing is pretty good about that. No real school administrator would tell a trouble student they are going soft on them, it'll just encourage that behavior.

zeekner fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Feb 26, 2012

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet
The Court sticks the normal students in a big metal tank with a terrifying crab monster. They got options is what I'm sayin', there's detention and then there's detention.

Couple hours of study hall in an abattoir with a bunch of screamin' ghosts and you won't be putting pins in no teacher's chair

Torgover
Sep 2, 2006

I know it's kind of a faux pas to compare Gunnerkrigg Court to Harry Potter, but that's really the same absurd conclusion. No matter what terrible things you've done, if the faculty doesn't want to expel you for some plot related reason of you being intrinsically important, you can do pretty much whatever you want and expect nothing more than a detention. It makes for lots of fun times.

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

Olivia42 posted:

I know it's kind of a faux pas to compare Gunnerkrigg Court to Harry Potter, but that's really the same absurd conclusion. No matter what terrible things you've done, if the faculty doesn't want to expel you for some plot related reason of you being intrinsically important, you can do pretty much whatever you want and expect nothing more than a detention. It makes for lots of fun times.

I was going to make a comparison, but it's not that apt. Harry Potter gets away with his shenanigans with the full support of the headmaster and very few consequences. Gunnerkrigg feels more realistic, with the administration unhappy about the situation but unable to really do anything about it.

This alone should tell you how strict they are. Getting in trouble after surviving that fall is pretty lousy, regardless of the fact she shouldn't have been there.

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009
Coyote is a living metaphor. His stories about himself won't be internally consistent, because his very existence isn't internally consistent.
The various coyote legends don't have much continuity, since all of them have been real legends/folk stories.

He's a god. He is the earth, and the woods, and the sky, and the sun and the moon. Did those stories about him actually happen, are they just stories people made up about him that he liked, or does he only exist because all those stories have been told? What if it's all three? What if even he doesn't know, and doesn't much care?

He is not the only God out there. He's not even the most powerful. He's one of the 'animal people' in his stories (mythological figures who are basically THE [Animal], instead of just one such animal), not a Creator god. He met the Creator God, he had chats with him, and he even tried his hand at the whole creation thing - and didn't do so well.

He's not the only thing in the world that can say it is the stones and the trees and the water and the sun and moon, and still be completely honest. Those woods are his territory, though, so it's extra-true in there.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
The world is Coyote's home, he came from America because he heard the tales of Renard, a trickster dog like him. They went to the forest because they were told it was a place of power and union, and only found a squabble. Which is why he divided the humans and the forest.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

wyoming posted:

The world is Coyote's home, he came from America because he heard the tales of Renard, a trickster dog like him. They went to the forest because they were told it was a place of power and union, and only found a squabble. Which is why he divided the humans and the forest.

He is very powerful you know.

I love Coyote.

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you
Coyote's whole deal reminds me of the themes that Neil Gaiman uses in American Gods and Anansi Boys. I like it, and I hope we learn more about it in time.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Esme posted:

Coyote's whole deal reminds me of the themes that Neil Gaiman uses in American Gods and Anansi Boys. I like it, and I hope we learn more about it in time.

He does seem have that whole deal of being extremely powerful in some weird way that depends on the stories people tell about him goin' on.

Man those were both fun books.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Well, Annie's fallen back into emotional repression so hard it probably made her teeth rattle. Good job, Mr. Carver!

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

Goddamn, that fisheye effect really conveys the emotion here.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat
Well, that's good guys. I'm glad that worked out.

Now can we get back to the faeries.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
Wow it's Elgamore again! Haven't seen him since he helped the boys sneak out.

e: obviously they can't trace the call because the program is only looking at Earth

Fecha fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Feb 27, 2012

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!
Um... there's two guys in green shirts in the first panel... Kinda... greyish... green, aww screw it.

Robo Pope
Jul 17, 2004

I AM THE POPE, DO AS I SAY.
Annie :(

Think that's an actual crack in the wall, or a metaphorical crack in Annie's psyche?

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

Robo Pope posted:

Think that's an actual crack in the wall, or a metaphorical crack in Annie's psyche?

Probably both. I also think it's kinda neat that we've got the narration bubbles in lue of dialogue again. We haven't seen those in a long time. I suppose one could read it as her closing down talking with other people about this.

Kismet
Jun 11, 2007

Robo Pope posted:

Annie was caught in the fire at the hospital and has been in a coma ever since. The court and forest are just manifestations of her subconscious built on fairy tales and the promises of a school she'd never attend

:can:

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

Robo Pope posted:

That would be quite the horrible construction maintenance on the court's part if it was an actual crack. Or Eglamore just smashed his fist into the wall in anger.

Looks like this chapter will advance the plot quite a bit, maybe. I would gladly pay to see a confrontation between Eglamore and Mr. Carver (if the latter shows up in the flesh).

Smooglii
Feb 22, 2011

Battle stations!
True story: I thought that was Eglamore, but I wasn't entirely sure because he looked a little different.

So I looked below the comic, and sure enough...

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The narration is in present tense, so this is her thought process right now. Does this mean previous chapters' panels, which were in past tense, were narrated at around this time?

Not that it matters.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Nondevor posted:

That would be quite the horrible construction maintenance on the court's part if it was an actual crack. Or Eglamore just smashed his fist into the wall in anger.

The court's in decay all over, though. Probably too big to properly maintain.

I'm sure it's both real and metaphorical.

And kudos to Tom on Annie in that last panel. Conveying so much in that one simple image.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Feb 27, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Welp, whoever predicted a mega downer after the fairy hijinx already nailed it. :smith: