Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazy Pigeon
Nov 2, 2010

ZarathustraFollower posted:

Wait and watch for sales. I got the Falcon for $115 from Toys R Us. It really is the only choice.

Well I saw a falcon for $100 and Frigate for $70. Ended up buying the falcon tonight though! I'll just buy the Frigate some other time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Does anyone have the instructions for the oldschool space police jail cells, I found a bunch of old pieces and think I have enough to make a few.

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective
You mean these? http://www.peeron.com/scans/6886-1/2

I just rebuilt that particular set the other day. I had to substitute other colors / non-printed bits for most of the transparent / printed bits... and the Space Policeman... Now I am sad.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Am I alone in thinking the Marvel sets look like poo poo? They remind me of Mega Bloks sets.

This truck is really nicely done. If you actually look at the pieces used, they made it creatively, especially the grille.

Krazyface posted:

SHIBLO
what

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

John Carstairs posted:

I just rebuilt that particular set the other day. I had to substitute other colors / non-printed bits for most of the transparent / printed bits... and the Space Policeman... Now I am sad.

YES! I may only have enough to build one legit, but I'm gonna sub and build a few.

Edit: I flipped through that booklet, and think I have all the pieces to build the whole ship with no subs.

RodShaft fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Feb 26, 2012

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I want the quinjet but it'll probably be stupidly expensive. I'll just grab the Captain America motorcycle and the Wolverine helicopter, and be happy.

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective

RodShaft posted:

Edit: I flipped through that booklet, and think I have all the pieces to build the whole ship with no subs.

You lucky bastard. I wasn't even old enough to be in the recommended age group when that one was released, so it didn't hold up as well as my later sets. ...looks like I'm hittin' bricklink again.

FauxR34L
Feb 27, 2005
Serious Business

Shuppiluliumas posted:

That absolutely owns.

e: also, more pictures please. Is there an interior?

Here's something to get your attention:

Album full of pics here: http://imgur.com/a/q73aN

It's supposed to be something like a space police version of this:

and this:

I've spent about 6 months on it so far, a couple of hours per week on an off. It took me a couple of months just to decide on a general shape i wanted. It'll probably take me another 6 months until i think it's finished.

The engineering and docking bay part under the engines needs an interior, i'm not happy with the roof at the rear of the c&c area and the whole underside needs cleaning up and/or detailing.

Any suggestions on anything else to do to it would be great.

FauxR34L fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Feb 26, 2012

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

John Carstairs posted:

That site only has 4 pages, (or am I missing something). I could fudge the rest, but I'd prefer the full instruction book. Is it to be found somewhere?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Oops wrong thread

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Feb 26, 2012

engessa
Jan 19, 2007

For Dutch Lego goons: http://www.gebruiktlego.nl/lego sometimes has great sets for a low price. Right now they are selling this: http://www.brickset.com/detail/?set=6098-1 for 35 euros. Also bought this one for 9 euros: http://www.brickset.com/detail/?set=6248-1

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

engessa posted:

For Dutch Lego goons: http://www.gebruiktlego.nl/lego sometimes has great sets for a low price. Right now they are selling this: http://www.brickset.com/detail/?set=6098-1 for 35 euros. Also bought this one for 9 euros: http://www.brickset.com/detail/?set=6248-1

Woah, thanks for that!

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Red posted:

Has anyone ever tried making a boxing/wrestling ring?

I'd like to get three ropes in there. I can add lettering to the side of the ring later.

Just the rough idea I'm working out so far. I guess... it should be a little bigger? Also, I went with actual bricks instead of cables/ropes/etc. for the ring ropes, so that you can actually position figures on the ropes, if you want. I'll add in seats, barricades, an entrance, and ring steps.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
You should really use pneumatics piping for the ring ropes.

engessa
Jan 19, 2007

Taeke posted:

Woah, thanks for that!

Another tip: http://www.hetdeensesteentje.nl/ They sell new sets below the recommended retail price. A few month ago i bought this one: http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=7189-1 for 55 euros, every other places sell it for 65 euro minimum.

DrChud
Jun 18, 2004

So while at Walmart, they had only 2 clearance items left, the 297 piece PotC cannibal escape marked down to $30...and the 375 piece Alien conquest jet-copter encounter for $18.50. Hardest decision I had to make today :)

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006

dj-bbq posted:

I've spent about 6 months on it so far, a couple of hours per week on an off. It took me a couple of months just to decide on a general shape i wanted. It'll probably take me another 6 months until i think it's finished.

The engineering and docking bay part under the engines needs an interior, i'm not happy with the roof at the rear of the c&c area and the whole underside needs cleaning up and/or detailing.

Any suggestions on anything else to do to it would be great.

I love it. The only thing it needs from my view is a more solid connection between the forward sections and the engines, but it looks like you have plans and space for that anyway. I sometimes like to just browse what parts are available on bricklink in a color, say trans-blue in this case, to get ideas for things to add. At any rate, keep us updated, cause it rocks.

Shroud
May 11, 2009
I don't think anyone's mentioned it yet, but the instructions for a MOC for a UCS version of the ARC-170 star fighter has been posted here.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

engessa posted:

Another tip: http://www.hetdeensesteentje.nl/ They sell new sets below the recommended retail price. A few month ago i bought this one: http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=7189-1 for 55 euros, every other places sell it for 65 euro minimum.

Thanks! I've ordered from Brickshop before. Service was quick and good. :)

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

Captain Invictus posted:

what

I think he's saying that SHIELD on the side of the truck looks like SHIBLO

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Ziploc posted:

You should really use pneumatics piping for the ring ropes.

Can you link me to what you had in mind? BrickLink has a lot of hoses and tubes and things, and none of what I've seen is too appealing.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

illcendiary posted:

I think he's saying that SHIELD on the side of the truck looks like SHIBLO
Oh haha, I thought he was referring to some kind of Arabic thing or something based on the google results I was getting.

okkie
Oct 3, 2005

play nothing

So, Legoworld 2012 happened in Copenhagen and one of my Billund buddies did this

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

John Carstairs posted:

You lucky bastard. I wasn't even old enough to be in the recommended age group when that one was released, so it didn't hold up as well as my later sets. ...looks like I'm hittin' bricklink again.

Prepare to be jealous!

I was only short 2 bricks in the proper color, the hinges on the fold out wing things, and the blue snot pieces that hold the Police sheilds on the side. I subbed black for both.

My jail cells.

I only had enough pieces for one by the book. One is missing just one police printed side(subbed trans-red). Two were just me messing around to see how many I could build if I didn't care about color.
Edit: I played with putting the old magnets on top of the cells, but it messed with the dimensions too much and it wouldn't fit on the back without a rebuild.

I rebuilt the foldout bits like this...

Notice the hinge on the outside edge with the blue grate?

That allows it to do THIS!

Yehp. It can stand without a cell to weigh down the back. Pretty classy.

I also built this today...

Thats right, a Blacktron Alienator 6876. I can't believe I still have all the pieces(except the two old trans-yellow dots on the back. I subbed trans-neon-yellow). It's probably because I loved this set so much I never raided it for parts. I would also try to build similar ones in every space theme that existed. Also they're not exactly rare pieces.

Look at this guy go!

RodShaft fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Feb 26, 2012

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

I love seeing stuff built in other themes:

This is one of the first things I tried to replicate. I had the big trans orange panel from the Ice Station Odyssey, and 6 big orange wheels from one of the Mars Mission sets. I was able to recreate about 90% of a Mega Core Magnetizer before I realized the orange from Mars Mission and the trans orange from Ice Planet really clashed and I disassembled it.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

It's like the beginning of a softcore skinemax movie.

"I only got myself arrested to find out what happened to my sister."

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT

Pyroclastic posted:

I love seeing stuff built in other themes:

This is one of the first things I tried to replicate. I had the big trans orange panel from the Ice Station Odyssey, and 6 big orange wheels from one of the Mars Mission sets. I was able to recreate about 90% of a Mega Core Magnetizer before I realized the orange from Mars Mission and the trans orange from Ice Planet really clashed and I disassembled it.

I have six of those big wheels in white and I thought about making an Ice Planet version myself, but then I saw that guy already did it. Kinda killed my momentum, haha.

TheJadedOne
Aug 13, 2004
Walked into my local Toys R Us to find 2 full untouched boxes of series 6. Am poor right now and felt up and got a mino and a legionaire. Was happy to go 2 for 2. Was surprised that they had 4 full boxes of series 5 too.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

AlexJade posted:

Walked into my local Toys R Us to find 2 full untouched boxes of series 6. Am poor right now and felt up and got a mino and a legionaire. Was happy to go 2 for 2. Was surprised that they had 4 full boxes of series 5 too.
__________________/

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way
It's interesting to see how set design has changed over time. My wife bought me the new Droid Escape so I thought I'd dig out the original from 2001 and see how they looked together.

Tin can ahoy vs space egg.

The seating arrangements have significantly improved.

I don't know if the old C-3PO is supposed to look like that, it looks sun bleached but its been inside of the escape pod for pretty much the last 10 years. :iiam:

Also, the Sandtroopers own and I wish they had been printing faces on them from day one.

Launchpad McQuack
Oct 21, 2010
I have recently gotten back in Lego after years. This thread probably has alot to do with it.I forgot how much fun it is. Going to sort through me old collection some time.

I have a few mini figs and a few new set and my first MOC. http://imgur.com/a/Ps2qr - Here is a little album.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

Pyroclastic posted:

I'd like to see this design revisited, but with, like, less emphasis on magnets. That chassis would be perfect for some kind of heavy cannon.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
drat, I haven't had a Star Wars set since the 5-minifigure Millenium Falcon with the working loading ramp and escape pod, and that had the 3PO (and R2?) on the left...they just look downright lovely next to today's minifigures.

If I made a little bit more money and had a little bit more room, I could get back into this...

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...

BXCX posted:

I don't know if the old C-3PO is supposed to look like that, it looks sun bleached but its been inside of the escape pod for pretty much the last 10 years. :iiam:
The original C-3PO figure was about that color. It was definitely a lot lighter than the newer version.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
I don't know if there are any French or Spanish Legoons, but those regions are now up and running on Legoogel. Spain in particular seem to get some really solid discounts.

I've been pretty busy on the site. Each region now has a twitter feed that posts significant price changes. Still working on the paremeters for what constitutes "significant" and welcome any feedback on that. The advantage of these is they update as soon as the price is checked instead of when the entire site updates, so you might get the drop on stuff that sells out really quickly when the price plummets (I know I've missed out on stuff loads of times because of this).

The actual application is running 24/7 on it's own server (AWS free tier... which is all kinds of awesome) and updating every hour and twenty minutes or so. So far it appears to be fairly stable.

I've now got Lego store prices (including sale prices although these will only update every week or so as they're not as volitile as Amazon). Someone pointed out that Amazon's prices are inflated in some case so discounts are artificially high. This doesn't seem to happen too often, but where it has the line is marked with an asterix so you can keep an eye out for it. Although keep in mind Lego shop doesn't have free shipping unless a promotion is on.

In general Alien Conquest has been fluctuating a lot across the board and worth keeping an eye out on. I still reget not getting Eath Defense HQ when it was 40% off or so in the UK a couple of weeks back.

I built an Atlantis shark (Guaridan of the Deep) thing on the weekend, that I got for, and is still, half price in the UK. It was not as good as the sea scorpion thing (Deep Sea Striker - still 35% off in the UK) that I acutally really liked, more so than any other Atlantis stuff i've seen. It's got a big rear end tail which means it can't actually stand up when you're not playing with it, which is really amnoying. The one cool thing is his jaw is hinged with these rubber technic connectors I'd never seen before which makes it snap shut. My kid and I had a blast with daring ourselves to let it bite our fingers.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I took my 4 year old son to the Lego store over the weekend, which was a good excuse for me to go too.

I ended up getting a bunch of grey and black pieces for my old castle sets so we can build even larger castles, as well as one of the huge grey baseplates. I told him he could pick one set in the store (He went for the Maersk Train, which I then had to tell him was out of our price range), but he settled on the Lego Town Forest Fire Fire Truck (http://city.lego.com/en-US/Products/Default.aspx#4208) for his first official lego set. It was fun as hell to build it with him. The slide out equipment holder is pretty drat cool, although the air tank tends to get lost when he's playing with it as there's no way of locking it into place.

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love

Captain Invictus posted:

__________________/

I was thinking more

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

BXCX posted:

This has just pursuaded me to get that droid escape set, it looks really good, like a real space capsule (i had zero interest before). Also, the droids will look rad inside my falcon (which didnt come with them)

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Flavor Bear posted:

I was thinking more

The post contained too little complaining about society and human filth.

edit: say, do minifig cases have the same figure distribution in each of them? And by that I don't mean the number of each figure, but rather the placement of the pouches in the box. It would make finding specific figures much easier if that were the case.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Feb 28, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective
The Lego thread not on the first page? That won't do.

After turning in three separate major work projects at around 6 AM, I spent the rest of the morning reliving my childhood by recreating the second greatest toys from it (Dino-Riders) with the first (Lego, of course):

The side guns rotate vertically, the top one rotates horizontally, and the flick-fire missiles fire if you can get your fingers in there. I had to go with a brick-built Rulon head because I don't own any Ninjago (Minus the one I got this body from...) or Atlantis sets.

The back view is somewhat less exciting.

This one... has lasers. It's a Valorian because I was too lazy to find a way to build a brain box that would stay on the raptor heads.

Raptor butt.

Had the Dino line come out, say, fifteen to twenty years ago, I'm pretty sure I would have simply exploded on the spot.