Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
Yeah, the trade-offs aren't exactly proportional, so I'll take my victories where I can get em :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Z3n posted:

there are no corners in Florida!

Does Mootmoot know about this?

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Friend of mine helped fabricate a fender eliminator. lovely cell phone pick, but you get the idea.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Z3n posted:

Hate him a bit less because there are no corners in Florida!

Or mountains!

Same amount of retirees though....

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Pure water + WW is an old trick for hot rods running hi-po engines with old stock radiators. Unless you're running on the ragged edge of cooling system capacity (which no street-ridden bike in vaguely stock condition is going to be) the cooling advantages of water or pure water+WW over water+AF aren't going to be noticeable. If you think you're at a point where it will be noticeable, it probably means something in your coolant system is failing.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Took it to a mechanic. I don't have room to work on it at my house. :(

Getting carbs cleaned and rejetted, new air filter, fairing mount fabricated, GSXR forks set at the proper height, and other various odds and ends.

Peg risers are coming in next week then it's off to Highway 9 again. :madmax:

mootmoot
Jan 29, 2006

Sir Cornelius posted:

Does Mootmoot know about this?

What is your deal you creature?

Anyway I'm going to get rid of my black shorties and get some normal length black Pazzios. Shorties are kewl and everything but I've lost a lot of clutch control; with my stiff alpinestars GP Pro gloves I need something with more of a sweeping length for fine clutch control.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Cornelius has found the Yin to his Yang :munch:

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

mootmoot posted:

What is your deal you creature?

Anyway I'm going to get rid of my black shorties and get some normal length black Pazzios. Shorties are kewl and everything but I've lost a lot of clutch control; with my stiff alpinestars GP Pro gloves I need something with more of a sweeping length for fine clutch control.

Post a video of you downshifting on the highway, I would like to see your fine clutch control.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

I put some stuff on a couple things..

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

NIIIICE

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

SaNChEzZ posted:

I'm seriously considering doing this in black/red for the DRZ. I love the half & half look.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Someone on supermotojunkie did it with adhesive vinyl, which is a great way to get 99% of the look without risking expensive wheels.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

two tone wheels is simply the best visual upgrade to any supermoto or dirt bike

sport bikes get rim tape and look drat good in it

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

All of my friends are hating, but they either don't have motorcycles at all or have yet to enjoy a supermoto, so gently caress em' :smug:

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

SaNChEzZ posted:

All of my friends are hating, but they either don't have motorcycles at all or have yet to enjoy a supermoto, so gently caress em' :smug:

Motard and retard sound very alike for a very good reason. I believe one causes the other but not in every case...

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Spiffness posted:

two tone wheels is simply the best visual upgrade to any supermoto or dirt bike

sport bikes get rim tape and look drat good in it

gently caress it. Do both. Put blue reflective rimtape on the white side, and white reflective rimtape on the blue side.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
I've been thinking that maybe a completely asymmetrical design might work quite well, like an orange wheel on the front with maybe 1/5th of the diameter black, and then the inverse on the rear. I might run it by the local powder coating guy.

EDIT: Hmm, According to Googletm you can not only powdercoat over anodised aluminium but apparently it might offer a better surface than bare Al.

ReelBigLizard fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Feb 27, 2012

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

ReelBigLizard posted:

I've been thinking that maybe a completely asymmetrical design might work quite well, like an orange wheel on the front with maybe 1/5th of the diameter black, and then the inverse on the rear. I might run it by the local powder coating guy.

That'd be awesome. I'm probably gonna do the spokes on the SV blue with white areas between the spokes.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

The orange / white KTM wheels are pretty rad too. Really tempted to do something like that

Edit: or go with RBL's thoughts and run a white rear wheel and a KTM orange front.

Aargh fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Feb 27, 2012

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

ReelBigLizard posted:

I've been thinking that maybe a completely asymmetrical design might work quite well, like an orange wheel on the front with maybe 1/5th of the diameter black, and then the inverse on the rear.

Depending on the shade of orange it'd look like you were rolling around on Pac-Mans

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

BMW HP2 Megamoto with quartered blue and white wheels.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

SaNChEzZ posted:

So you just taped over the spokes, disc and wheel to paint? Did you tape your rear sprocket or remove it for the rear wheel? What kind of sanding prep is involved? I may do this to my DRZ this weekend, I just want to make sure I prep it all properly and don't screw it up. I want it to look good.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Ponies ate my Bagel posted:

So you just taped over the spokes, disc and wheel to paint? Did you tape your rear sprocket or remove it for the rear wheel? What kind of sanding prep is involved? I may do this to my DRZ this weekend, I just want to make sure I prep it all properly and don't screw it up. I want it to look good.

Took off wheel, degreased the rim, masked off spokes/valve stem. Didn't prep the original surface, 2 coats of primer, light sanding with 220grit, masked off half the wheel, 2 coats of white, masked off the white side, 2 coats of blue.

Also, playing cards between wheel/tire make it so you don't have to mask the whole tire, trade secrets my friend.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
I thought about doing this last year and didn't cause it'd be the pretty bike at the track. Ended up with a bunch of red anodized parts and a red chain and maybe I should just do it this spring already.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

SaNChEzZ posted:

Took off wheel, degreased the rim, masked off spokes/valve stem. Didn't prep the original surface, 2 coats of primer, light sanding with 220grit, masked off half the wheel, 2 coats of white, masked off the white side, 2 coats of blue.

Also, playing cards between wheel/tire make it so you don't have to mask the whole tire, trade secrets my friend.

Awesome, I will be doing this very soon!:smug:

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

After months and months of searching, finally a blue OEM front cowl with no cracks popped up on Ebay for my 636. It only had one small picture, so I contacted the guy asking if it had all the mounting tabs intact. The next morning I saw I had no reply...because it was sold already. Seriously starting to think about a streetfighter conversion at this point.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
The universe is trying to tell me something;

Yeah I know how toasted this tyre is, I've been ragging on it because I was going to replace it this weekend anyway

It think it's telling me to make crazy orange Pacman wheels.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

You hit the nail on the head. :v:

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Mega pro tip when spraying a color on top of a different color: for an extra crisp line with zero bleed, mask off your area, then spray one more coat of the first color over the area to be painted the next color. If you didn't spray a base color you can use a compatible clear spray before you spray the next color. This seals the edge of the mask and prevents any of the next color from bleeding under.

(Those shots look pretty drat good even if you didn't do that, SaNChEzZ)

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Gave myself an excuse to see the bike in storage today. Old heavy rectangular bar-end mirrors on the left, new ones on the right.

this picture is horrible sorry

Think those were the last aftermarket pieces still left on the bike from the previous owner. I hate having other people's poo poo on my vehicles, felt good to get those ugly things off.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

kylej posted:

Gave myself an excuse to see the bike in storage today. Old heavy rectangular bar-end mirrors on the left, new ones on the right.

this picture is horrible sorry

Think those were the last aftermarket pieces still left on the bike from the previous owner. I hate having other people's poo poo on my vehicles, felt good to get those ugly things off.

Can I have them? Please?
I need a big mirror and give no fucks how it looks.
In fact, the uglier the better.

Today I remounted the carbs only to discover that for some reason the starter switch no longer works. loving motorcycles, why can't everything just STAY fixed??

Here's a solid tip though: soft carb insulator boots are easier to work with and don't crack on accident!

So how do you soften 30+ year old hard as concrete carb boots?
I'm glad you asked. Here, have a shameless plug and link to corresponding blog post:
http://gnarlywrench.blogspot.com/2012/02/protip-soften-carb-boots-remount-carbs.html

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

So how do you soften 30+ year old hard as concrete carb boots?
I'm glad you asked. Here, have a shameless plug and link to corresponding blog post:
http://gnarlywrench.blogspot.com/2012/02/protip-soften-carb-boots-remount-carbs.html

What is the wintergreen oil for? I've used straight xylene before and it does a super job of softening up rubber on its own.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I didn't realize the clutch cable on the DT175 was so far gone until I replaced it today. I couldn't slack it enough to remove from the lever on the engine case so I had to cut it to get it off.

Oiled the new cable up as much as possible because I figure you can't over-oil the thing, and installed it. Went on without trouble, didn't even need to lift the tank. Also cleaned and oiled the chain, topped up the gearbox oil, and re-positioned the handlebar by tilting it aft by like 1 inch.

It's going to be a different bike!

On the downside, I discovered that I'll need a new throttle cable as well.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
Today it was snowing. Boooo. While I wait for less poo poo weather and new tires I put on some New Grips because the stock Tuono ones feel poo poo slick and thin.

Just something to pass the time really.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

As the search continues for a blue cowl, this guy tries to sell me one that he obviously sprayed himself.

:downs: "The tabs are all there, just cracked and glued back together."

:v: "So the tabs are damaged?"

:downs: "The tabs are intact."

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.

Brought the above plate to the DMV today to be destroyed. I love how it shows the fun acceleration of my 636.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
You have have the DMV destroy old plates? You have to destroy old plates?

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
Yeah. That's part of insurance requirements here too, if I want to get my bike off insurance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Mcqueen posted:

Today it was snowing. Boooo. While I wait for less poo poo weather and new tires I put on some New Grips because the stock Tuono ones feel poo poo slick and thin.

Just something to pass the time really.

Hm, those mirrors look like mine. A quick GIS says I may have just figured out where in the heck the mirrors on my Ulysses came from. I thought they may have been fleabay generics at first, but they work too well.