Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

MEET ME BY DUCKS posted:

tech background seems even better for getting a 1L SA position than URM

I haven't met any classmates with tech backgrounds without an SA position if they wanted one

Yeah, this. I know one whitey who was well below median and still got a 1L gig.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agesilaus
Jan 27, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

MoFauxHawk posted:

Even if firms call them Summer Associates, summer associates at Biglaw firms are still clerks. Since I was a little baby, I remember my dad always talking about the "law clerks" at his little firm. Biglaw firms may use that fancier sounding title, but make no mistake about the fact that you're clerking at these firms.

Lmao, ”summer associate” is something people actually say? ”law clerk” is already the fancy way of saying intern

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

Agesilaus posted:

Lmao, ”summer associate” is something people actually say? ”law clerk” is already the fancy way of saying intern

Sort of like how "prosecutor" is a fancy way of saying "publican".

Agesilaus
Jan 27, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

MoFauxHawk posted:

Sort of like how "prosecutor" is a fancy way of saying "publican".

Only prosecutors aren't publicans, but law clerks and summer associates are interns. Your post doesn't make much sense...

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

Agesilaus posted:

Only prosecutors aren't publicans, but law clerks and summer associates are interns. Your post doesn't make much sense...

Haha I know, I'm just being silly.

Law Prom last night was really fun. Direwolf, I didn't see you there! :-(

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
We just interviewed a Michigan grad for a spot we have opening up. He is currently a stock boy at Walmart. No jobs, etc.

qwertyman
May 2, 2003

Congress gave me $3.1 trillion, which I already spent on extremely dangerous drugs. We had acid, cocaine, and a whole galaxy of uppers, downers, screamers, laughers, and amyls.
First year as a biglaw associate: feeling like you're lazy becuase you weren't at the office, but only working from home, when you got called to help on an assignment at 10:00 AM on a Sunday.

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

qwertyman posted:

First year as a biglaw associate: feeling like you're lazy becuase you weren't at the office, but only working from home, when you got called to help on an assignment at 10:00 AM on a Sunday.

First year as a midlaw associate: Feeling happy because you woke up at 10:00 AM on a Sunday, went to the gym, made a large lunch, walked to the movie theatre, and then went to the park to enjoy the weather.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:

HiddenReplaced posted:

First year as a midlaw associate: Feeling happy because you woke up at 10:00 AM on a Sunday, went to the gym, made a large lunch, walked to the movie theatre, and then went to the park to enjoy the weather.

And for some reason you want to got to Michigan.

The Dagda
Nov 22, 2005

Agesilaus posted:

Usually interns don't get paid, though.

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

Omerta posted:

And for some reason you want to got to Michigan.

I most certainly never said I wanted to.

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
It took 32 years, but I finally figured out push-ups!
Look guys Michigan really isn't just a Mad Max style postapocalyptic civilization surrounded by sparsely-populated wilderness. We also have awesome beer.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

HiddenReplaced posted:

First year as a solo practitioner: get pissed because you won't get paid for 6 months, go make a will for someone, get drunk while interviewing them, pocket their $400, go home to where you live with your mom.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Attention crim lawgoons.
Job possibly opening up soon, in scenic far Northern California.
http://www.sacbee.com/2012/02/26/4291502/from-meth-addict-to-del-norte.html

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
Attention crim lawgoons.
Job opened up, in scenic far central Oklahoma.
http://newsok.com/troubled-nichols-hills-attorney-is-removed-from-court-during-arraignment/article/3647111

They'd make a great couple?

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

CaptainScraps posted:

First year as a solo practitioner: get pissed because you won't get paid for 6 months, go make a will for someone, get drunk while interviewing them, pocket their $400, go home to where you live with your mom.

Word on the street is that this so called "Captain" Scraps hates tex-mex. Can we hold a tribe circle and vote him off?

TheBestDeception
Nov 28, 2007

qwertyman posted:

HiddenReplaced posted:

CaptainScraps posted:

First year as an attorney for a state agency: took off Friday to take a three-day weekend in the Hill Country. Short week next week because of Texas Independence Day. That'll be my third long weekend in a row. And since our blackberrys were taken back after our trial ended (lol budget cuts), there's 0 chance of checking e-mail over the weekends.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
Second year as a small law plaintiffs attorney: son of a bitch!

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Elotana posted:

Second year as a small law plaintiffs attorney: son of a bitch!

There's no way that case is getting tried.

Schitzo
Mar 20, 2006

I can't hear it when you talk about John Druce
Happiness is waking up to a blackberry with no new emails.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

Phil Moscowitz posted:

There's no way that case is getting tried.
But I wanted to be in New Orleans until 2014 :(

Penguins Like Pies
May 21, 2007
I was making a joke about how poor I am the other day and my friend said "But you'll be making six figures when you graduate in two months!" It took a long time to convince him that being a lawyer isn't a quick get rich scheme. :shobon:

Also, I've had absolutely no obligations this week (not even classes) except for writing my 10 page double spaced paper that's due this Thursday. Did I write a word of it? No.

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor
I noticed the OP mentioned how a fifth year in undergrad might hurt, I did it in about 12 semesters over 9 years. I basically did two tries at undergrad. My first 2/3 is about a 2.5, then the last third was a 3.9. Culmulative is about a 3. Should I even bother trying for a T14 school with this GPA and a 170+ LSAT?

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon
You are what is referred to as a "splitter." Should you try? Yes. Will it yield results? Probs not very good ones, but you might luck out.

Just don't give in to the sunk costs fallacy and be prepared to NOT GO if you don't get in somewhere that doesn't suck.

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor

Feces Starship posted:

You are what is referred to as a "splitter." Should you try? Yes. Will it yield results? Probs not very good ones, but you might luck out.

Just don't give in to the sunk costs fallacy and be prepared to NOT GO if you don't get in somewhere that doesn't suck.

Great thanks that was my take too. my first choice is MPP, but I may consider a T-14 with some aid or T-30 with a lot. JD's seem to get a lot more positive feedback on the web than an MPP.

PatrickKilpatrick
Jul 11, 2007

menino posted:

I noticed the OP mentioned how a fifth year in undergrad might hurt, I did it in about 12 semesters over 9 years. I basically did two tries at undergrad. My first 2/3 is about a 2.5, then the last third was a 3.9. Culmulative is about a 3. Should I even bother trying for a T14 school with this GPA and a 170+ LSAT?

Depends on how far over the 170. I did pretty much the same thing as you, screwed up undergrad the first time, went back and got straight A's and LSAC gave me a GPA of 3.1. My LSAT was 171. I got shut out of the T14 but decent scholarship at a T25.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

menino posted:

Great thanks that was my take too. my first choice is MPP, but I may consider a T-14 with some aid or T-30 with a lot. JD's seem to get a lot more positive feedback on the web than an MPP.

Where are you finna go for the MPP and what are you finna do after you graduate.

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor

sigmachiev posted:

Where are you finna go for the MPP and what are you finna do after you graduate.

My GRE scores are top 5% and I decent work experience and languages so I'm shooting for WWS/Berkeley/Georgetown, depending on debt incurred I finna do fed govt or policy analysis, depending on where I finna get in.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
What is this "finna" poo poo? I assumed it was a typo for "gonna" since "fi" is right next to "go".

Lilosh
Jul 13, 2001
I'm Lilosh with an OSHY

menino posted:

My story is remarkably similar to yours. 11 semesters over about 10 years. Terrible first couple semesters back in the beginning. When I graduated, I ended up with a LSAC GPA a tad under 3.3, which updated to a little over a 3.3 when I updated LSAC with my final semester grades halfway through my application cycle. LSAT was 171.

Most of my applications were submitted at the deadline, and I got waitisted at a few T14 schools, and accepted to Cornell.

So it can happen, you just need to write a GPA addendum about how your upward trend reflects your growth as a student and blah blah blah. It probably doesn't count for much, but it couldn't hurt. Oh, and apply EARLY in the cycle, don't wait for the deadline and half-rear end it like I did.

Although I wouldn't hold your breath for scholarship money.

Lilosh fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Feb 27, 2012

The Dagda
Nov 22, 2005

entris posted:

What is this "finna" poo poo? I assumed it was a typo for "gonna" since "fi" is right next to "go".

From "fixing to", as in "I fixin to do fed gvt or policy analysis." Although that might be a folk etymology.

Lilosh
Jul 13, 2001
I'm Lilosh with an OSHY

entris posted:

See United States v. Arnold, 486 F.3d 177, 210 (2007).

quote:

More importantly, the statement contains no auxiliary verb (e.g., "is" or "was") connected to "finna," which I understand to be a slang contraction for "fixing to," much as "gonna" serves as a contraction for "going to." See, e.g., http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=finna (last visited Apr. 19, 2007) (defining "finna" as, "Abbreviation of 'fixing to.' Normally means 'going to.'").

Lilosh fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Feb 27, 2012

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
you have got to be kidding me

Let's give it the full quote:

quote:

Next, the majority places undue emphasis on its interpretation of the tape. Although I question the utility of semantically dissecting Gordon's statements, even if I take the majority's approach, the tape does not indicate that Gordon spoke to the 911 operator before sufficient time to contrive or misrepresent had passed. According to the majority, Gordon said, "he's fixing to shoot me," [**99] as opposed to "he was fixing to shoot me." Maj. Op. at 6, 7. After listening to the tape multiple times, I hear the words: "I guess he finna shoot me." I find this significant for two reasons. First, Gordon's inclusion of the words "I guess" (which the majority cleverly excises) renders her statement far less definitive than the majority chooses to present it. More importantly, the statement [***30] contains no auxiliary verb (e.g., "is" or "was") connected to "finna," which I understand to be a slang contraction for "fixing to," much as "gonna" serves as a contraction for "going to." See, e.g., http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=finna (last visited Apr. 19, 2007) (defining "finna" as, "Abbreviation of 'fixing to.' Normally means 'going to.'"). 8 The lack of an auxiliary verb renders determination of whether Gordon intended to imply the past or present tense an exercise in sheer guesswork. Accordingly, the words spoken on the tape do not establish that Gordon offered these statements before there was time to contrive or misrepresent.

FOOTNOTES

8 Understanding Gordon's statements in the 911 tape requires an understanding of slang, which is constantly evolving. Turning to a source that operates by consensus, and thus develops along with slang usage, therefore seems unusually appropriate in this instance. UrbanDictionary.com is such a source, as it permits users to propose definitions for slang terms, and other users to vote on whether they agree with the particular definitions posited. At the time of the last visit, the definition cited above (which was posted in June 2003) had received 272 positive votes, and only 45 negative votes, making it the most popular of the twenty proposed definitions of "finna," all but one of which connote future action.

Whatever law clerk wrote that opinion probably laughed his/her rear end off when s/he managed to get a federal Court of Appeals to cite urbandictionary.com in a published opinion. Wow.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

I have a new goal in life. Replace a Black's Law cite with an Urban Dictionary cite in something published.

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

MoFauxHawk posted:

Haha I know, I'm just being silly.

Law Prom last night was really fun. Direwolf, I didn't see you there! :-(

I didn't go last year, I'm getting $500 from SFPIF and can't really justify spending $150 of that on my own funding :(

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Wait,are we recommending that people go to just any t14 without a bundle of money? Crazy.

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

haha can't believe a court cited Urban Dictionary

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=law%20school

quote:

1) A place where stoners and alcoholics can get a graduate degree.

2) An institution where starry eyed idealists have their dreams of upholding justice and benefiting humanity heartlessly destroyed while incurring more debt than a third world country. These poor souls, after three years of brutal Socratic torture and exposure to the cruel reality of the broken justice system and the non-existent job market, come out of law school stoners or alcoholics.

Although it is very accurate.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Lilosh posted:

See United States v. Arnold, 486 F.3d 177, 210 (2007).

entris posted:

you have got to be kidding me

Let's give it the full quote:

Whatever law clerk wrote that opinion probably laughed his/her rear end off when s/he managed to get a federal Court of Appeals to cite urbandictionary.com in a published opinion. Wow.
ahahahahahahaha this is amazing

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

menino posted:

My GRE scores are top 5% and I decent work experience and languages so I'm shooting for WWS/Berkeley/Georgetown, depending on debt incurred I finna do fed govt or policy analysis, depending on where I finna get in.

Add HKS and Syracuse to your list of schools. Goldman is cool and I've met solid people there so if you want more on Berkeley lemme know. My understanding is it's heavy on quant relative to other places and quite good for that end of it. If you get one of those five I say go for it over law school depending on your work experience and if you have a background in stat, math or econ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

entris posted:

Finna is a way of life.