Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

A5H posted:

I absolutely despise that dr who bloke and I'm not sure why. I went to make a tea when he was on.

I haven't seen the Top Gear episode in question, but I've never really liked him as the Doctor. I think it's the hair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

onezero
Nov 20, 2003

veritas vos liberabit

Alex_DeLarge posted:

Loved the Saab tribute. The dead pixels on the SID made me laugh more than it should:

And I too went from a Saab 93 to a 5 series.

Ah, this absolutely killed me as well.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Delivery McGee posted:

I haven't seen the Top Gear episode in question, but I've never really liked him as the Doctor. I think it's the hair.

If it helps, Clarkson spent half the interview making fun of his hair.

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

let me shovel out your brains
hang my image in your skull
so I can be the vision
in your nightmares from now on

Delivery McGee posted:

It was a good episode, while David Tennant had the more enjoyable interview, Matt Smith is the better doctor :can:

That is, if you like older styler, 2nd Doctor type stuff it's pretty obvious who he got a lot of his mannerisms from the doctor from.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
I think we can all agree that this was finally a proper episode of Top Gear!

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Oh Em Gee posted:

It was a good episode, while David Tennant had the more enjoyable interview, Matt Smith is the better doctor :can:

That is, if you like older styler, 2nd Doctor type stuff it's pretty obvious who he got a lot of his mannerisms from the doctor from.

David Tennant played a much better pissed off Doctor though, while Matt Smith is a far better whimsical Doctor.

Also, Fezes and Bow ties are cool.

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp

vote_no posted:

I think we can all agree that this was finally a proper episode of Top Gear!

No, they recycled the first segment from a Top Gear DVD and the SAAB was a low budget, quick and dirty tribute. I think they must be having real budget problems if they are rehashing old material.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Jut posted:

No, they recycled the first segment from a Top Gear DVD and the SAAB was a low budget, quick and dirty tribute. I think they must be having real budget problems if they are rehashing old material.

I agree--this season so far is good but doesn't have the magic of 3-4 years ago. Driving sports cars around Italy? Racing mobile scooters offroad? Yawn. Let's see them launch a car as a space shuttle or travel across America nearly getting killed again.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

mod sassinator posted:

I agree--this season so far is good but doesn't have the magic of 3-4 years ago. Driving sports cars around Italy? Racing mobile scooters offroad? Yawn. Let's see them launch a car as a space shuttle or travel across America nearly getting killed again.
How banned from America are they now, anyway?

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Jut posted:

Are we sure it was recycled? I can usually tell how old a Top Gear piece is by the fullness and colour of Jeremys hair, the colour of Mays or the stupidity of Hammonds, and I don't remember Jeremys hair look different from the first segment to the news.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Jut posted:

Going to India is expensive.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.

Jut posted:

The SAAB tribute may have been low budget, but who cares? I think Top Gear is great when it's a car show, and that's what this episode was. Great cinematography of a rally course being driven professionally, and a heartwarming conversation about a car manufacturer that a lot of people haven't even heard of and certainly don't care about. The boys cocking about used to be great and allowed me to watch the show with people who don't care about cars, but it's clearly been played out or they haven't got the writing for it anymore, so I don't want to see another India special. I want more episodes like this and whenever they do go to other countries, I want it to be about showcasing the roads and beauty of the land, and about cars.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I would much rather they review an interesting cheaper car than another boring maseredeserarrighinimw.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

I would much rather they review an interesting cheaper car than another boring maseredeserarrighinimw.
No.

I want reviews of things that can be described as "Winnie the Pooh with road rage".

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Have they done a 'cheap car challenge' this season?

I'm not including that horrible India episode in this season, by the way.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Cojawfee posted:

More Renault Twingo and Ford Fiesta reviews plox.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I'm pleased with this season of Top Gear, it's great and the dissenters are wrong.

I even like the newer Top Gear USA... it's still too canned... and they really need to get rid of Adam. I feel like he doesn't actually add anything, all they ever show him doing is laughing at other presenters comments and delivering the script.

Tanner and Rut are finding their groove though

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Do we know how fast The Stig does a lap in the current Reasonably Priced Car?

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp

vote_no posted:

Great cinematography of a rally course being driven professionally

This had already been screened on one of the 2011 top gear dvds. It's not new.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Krakkles posted:

No.

I want reviews of things that can be described as "Winnie the Pooh with road rage".

"Here's the new Ferrari, it's four pounds lighter than the last one. Your wallet will also be ten thousand pounds lighter than with the last one."

That's boring. I've already seen all the new ferraris and lamborghinis and I'm even bored of BMW unless they review the new F30 with the four banger. There are lots of cool new cars coming out, but they keep reviewing the same drat super cars over and over again. Just because some guy took out a cup holder, it doesn't mean its new.

In the past four years, they've reviewed 11 Ferraris, 6 Lamborghinis, 8 Mercedes, 5 BMWs, 6 Porches, anD 5 Audis. A lot of times they have the same car on the show several times. The GT-R has been on about three times now. The Noble has been on a few times, as as the 458 Italia and the new McLaren. Sure if these companies come out with a NEW car, put it on. But I don't really care about the Lamborghini Super Voloce Superleggera Spyder Turbo Gallardo 670389483894.

I think they only review the latest fast cars is so they can put impressive times on the board. I'd like to see interesting reviews of other cars that cost less than a hundred thousand dollars.

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Feb 27, 2012

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I really liked the episode where they reviewed a whole lot of Malaysian cars. Sure they said all of them were terrible but it was fun seeing them drive regular cars and review them.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Perhaps because it's funnier hearing them come up with ways to say "this car is terrible" than ways to say "this car is awesome".

I swear if I hear the word "astonishing" come out of Jeremy's mouth six or seven hundred more times...

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

fivre posted:

How banned from America are they now, anyway?

If they go anywhere but Hawaii and certain parts of Delaware Tanner Faust is legally required to shoot them in the face.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Do we know how fast The Stig does a lap in the current Reasonably Priced Car?

Some say that's his actual car!

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug

CornHolio posted:

I really liked the episode where they reviewed a whole lot of Malaysian cars. Sure they said all of them were terrible but it was fun seeing them drive regular cars and review them.

That was the absolute best. Jeremy and James couldn't believe how bad some of them were and they were having an whole lot of fun doing it. More of that sort of thing!

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Clarkson was right about NASCAR: http://www.autoblog.com/2012/02/28/spoiler-alert-despite-the-elements-daytona-500-finally-finishe/

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

God drat it'd be awesome if they talked about it next Sunday.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

CornHolio posted:

I think they were general Pacific Rim cars, there was a Hyundai AccentAccident and a Kia somewhere in there, too.

But perhaps you were thinking of the "presenting cheap cars to investment bankers" segment, where they had three Malaysian cars and tried to play up their advantages to a bunch of bankers.

Both segments were really good, I thought.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Surely the officials will be having one hell of a pointed discussion with Montoya. WTF was he thinking going that fast?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

I think they only review the latest fast cars is so they can put impressive times on the board.

Of course they don't. Magnetic strips with sharpie marking isn't their primary motivation. Top Gear comes from the school of mainstream automotive magazine journalism and one of the big selling points of those magazines is going oooh and aaah at the latest Ferroni or Lamborati (lighter! stiffer! more power! and it's rubbish! by which I mean brilliant!).

Top Gear has changed the face of automotive journalism, but they're not pushing it. The ooohs and aaahs at the new Peroni Zamba makes up a lot of their viewers. I agree that it's a bit boring, but not terribly irrelevant. That's where car tech is being pushed, that's where good and bad ideas are tried out.

The most boring car I can think of is a new hot hatch. FUUUUCK it makes me sleepy to even type that. Impractical, yet slow, despite being expensive. But I realize a lot of people like them and I don't mind watching Top Gear review one.

So the cars that interest the car bores - grown men who cheer brands like sports teams and argue about which utterly unaffordable vehicle can go around a certain German track the quickest - brings a lot of ratings to the show which helps justify their budget and sell their franchise.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
That 99 they had is loving sweet.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
gently caress, sorry, wrong thread.

Booblord Zagats fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Feb 28, 2012

G-Dub
Dec 28, 2004

The Gonz
I think that rally driver guy is The Stig. Previously Ben Collins appeared as himself while he was The Stig in a race against a mountain boarder. The thing that race had in common with the race against the jet man is the car lost and I don't think they would want to show The Stig losing.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

G-Dub posted:

I think that rally driver guy is The Stig. Previously Ben Collins appeared as himself while he was The Stig in a race against a mountain boarder. The thing that race had in common with the race against the jet man is the car lost and I don't think they would want to show The Stig losing.

So what, it was staged and Collins was supposed to lose?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

"Car vs thing that isn't car" is never the Stig is it? Usually Hammond, sometimes May, sometimes guest driver.

G-Dub
Dec 28, 2004

The Gonz

jojoinnit posted:

So what, it was staged and Collins was supposed to lose?

No but I think they will always have an idea of the result. Perhaps it isn't always one take/the first take that gets shown either.

Ola posted:

"Car vs thing that isn't car" is never the Stig is it? Usually Hammond, sometimes May, sometimes guest driver.

Hmm, you do make a good point. But I like my theory so I'm sticking to it!

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

Cat Terrist posted:

Surely the officials will be having one hell of a pointed discussion with Montoya. WTF was he thinking going that fast?

He was coming out of the pits trying to catch back up with the pack. He wasn't doing anything wrong (that I'm aware of, not a huge NASCAR fan) and he just was unlucky that his rear suspension broke in that spot.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

SFH1989 posted:

He was coming out of the pits trying to catch back up with the pack. He wasn't doing anything wrong (that I'm aware of, not a huge NASCAR fan) and he just was unlucky that his rear suspension broke in that spot.

You do NOT just go that quick when you have safety vehicles anywhere near you. He needs at the least a clueX4 to hit some sense into him

quote:

I think that rally driver guy is The Stig.

Toni Gardenmeiser is not the Stig

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

SFH1989 posted:

Yeah, both the recently-retired drivers commentating said that's what you do, and he just had something break at the worst possible time.

Cat Terrist posted:

You do NOT just go that quick when you have safety vehicles anywhere near you. He needs at the least a clueX4 to hit some sense into him
It wasn't all that near him. It was right on the wall, he was as low as possible. You of all people should know that poo poo tends to go pear-shaped at the worst possible time.

Also it annoyed me that they kept talking about the jet fuel exploding when clearly it was Juan's gasoline making the fireball, and it took a good minute or so for the burning jet engine to light the spilled kerosene. And it was amusing that they made a distinction between the jet fuel in the trailer and the diesel fuel in the truck -- in the situation at hand, they're functionally identical.

Edit: for a triple dose of Murphy's law, it happened while they were in commercials (I said to the wife as we went out for a smoke during that break "Man, it must suck to be a director for that show, what if something happens while you're on an ad break?"), and they somehow didn't get a clear shot of it -- just the fireball rising in front of the camera it was just past, and a blurry shot of the crash from the camera on the far corner.

I'm betting Jeremy comments more on how all the boys adopted Danica's "OHSHIT GONNA HIT THE WALL HANDS OFF THE WHEEL WANNA KEEP MY HANDS" reaction from last Sunday in the 500. Is that actually a thing in the open-wheel classes like she said, or was she just making it up to make her panic look better? Either way, the guys seem to have accepted her explanation. I guess it could be a thing, if you leave your arms out they might get between the car and the track in a rollover, and it's not like you're going to have any suspension left to steer with after putting the front of a champ car into something.

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Feb 29, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Delivery McGee posted:

Edit: for a triple dose of Murphy's law, it happened while they were in commercials (I said to the wife as we went out for a smoke during that break "Man, it must suck to be a director for that show, what if something happens while you're on an ad break?"), and they somehow didn't get a clear shot of it -- just the fireball rising in front of the camera it was just past, and a blurry shot of the crash from the camera on the far corner.

The OB director at the track calls* through to presentation and tells them to cut straight back to the track feed.

* Varies from "How soon can you come back to us?" to "Back on us now! Nownownownownownow!"