Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot

Pellisworth posted:

My judo dojo is $30/mo (no contract, just cut a check for however many months you want) and that's for 2x 2-hour practices each week. Plus a gi, but those are like $40-50. And we have a larger sister dojo on the west side of the city with whom we have reciprocity and I could train there for free.

Anecdotally, BJJ is much much more expensive, we've had two new members join primarily because BJJ runs $100-200/mo here in Los Angeles. They attributed the cost to the trendiness of BJJ in MMA.

I dont know if it's like this in the US, but in Canada and in a lot of other countries, Judo receives funding and tax breaks through the government by virtue of being an Olympic sport. Boxing and TKD get this funding too, and I think Karate might get some too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Meat Recital posted:

I dont know if it's like this in the US, but in Canada and in a lot of other countries, Judo receives funding and tax breaks through the government by virtue of being an Olympic sport. Boxing and TKD get this funding too, and I think Karate might get some too.

I'm pretty sure that non-professional Olympic sports in the US are not especially well supported by the government. I know that USA Judo gives a few top players stipends to help them get by and focus on training, but other than Travis Stevens and Kayla Harrison, no one is really a threat on the international scene.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Gt8vaF_0bE

Inoue doing randori with the number 2 player in the US at -100, and clowning all over him. Point is, lol no the US Government does not give a poo poo about Judo.

wedgie deliverer fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Feb 26, 2012

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Meat Recital posted:

While that is true, that has nothing to do with the costs of individual dojos. Those funds go to a select few athletes and a select few training centers and have zero impact on your average guy running a club down at the Y.

I think the big reason that Judo is cheaper than most martial arts is that the vast majority of clubs are run by people for whom Judo is a hobby and they are happy to break even or even lose a few bucks in order to have a club. You can count on one hand the number of people in most countries that make their living off of being Judo instructors. In most other martial arts the instructors are making their living off of their school, so that drives costs up.

Take, for example, my club. The students pay the University $80 a semester. The schools keeps part of that to cover insurance and expenses and gives me and my co instructor about $50 back per student. We use that money to help cover the cost of belts and stuff like gas and entry fees for tournaments. We don't end up making a dime and actually usually end up spending some of our own money each semester. I think in another generation BJJ in the US will resemble Judo in many ways as far as organization and how your average club is run.

Hydrolith
Oct 30, 2009
Can anyone recommend a good Brazilian Jiu-jitsu place in Melbourne? I've decided to get back into martial arts after a while (I did Karate back when I was a teenager). I'm wary of McDojos or other dodginess. I've had a bit of a look online, but it's a bit hard to tell from the websites.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

gimpsuitjones posted:

what's the choke that Joseph Gordon-Levitt uses on the guy in the hallway in Inception called?

edit: a youtube video called it the "snake choke"

http://www.lockflow.com/grappling-technique/no-gi-choke-mount

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
Crosspost from grappling thread

niethan posted:

I signed up for my first comp, 400 competitors, 59 of those in my weight/skill group, nogi beginners <168lbs.
So stoked/nervous. Calf crushers forbidden in the rules unfortunately, I had been hitting them quite consistently in the gym.

Gonna have to concentrate on takedowns and guard passing, we luckily don't have as many wrestlefuckers sandbagging as in the states I hope.
So here are the results.

Got taken down with a single, then had a pretty active guard and won the first by catching a reverse triangle while getting my guard passed. Almost got his back from the half guard at one point.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyjEshge2tQ

In the second I got dominated pretty much and kinda gave up when the RNC locked in and tapped pretty fast without really fighting it :smith:.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noJeXrlyfeg

Was a fun experience all in all, did ok for only training grappling so seldom. Dude who defeat me went on to the finals, where he got dqd for reaping the leg.

Critique obviously welcome, else I wouldn't post this poo poo here.

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

Practice knighthood and learn
the art that dignifies you

Makrond posted:

So there's a lot of in-depth discussion about sweaty man hugging in this thread but I know there's a few historical fencers here. I was wondering if you guys had an opinion on the correct execution of a zornhau (as well as the philosophies surrounding it). Basically a friend of mine has been reading some books because he really wants to get into this but can't find any decent schools or even training partners in his area, and a lot of the stuff comes from Ringeck's writings.

So the problem is that basically everything about the zornhau (and the meisterhau in general) runs counter to what I've learned. Essentially the purpose of every strike is to close in and achieve anbinden, which is considered safer. In fact one of the books explicitly warns against striking a zornhau to the man and instead recommends striking at the sword while moving off the center line, which seems so absurdly wrong to me that I cannot even put it into a coherent sentence. Is this just because Ringeck's manuals were based primarily on armour fighting, while the material I'm used to is designed for first-blood judicial duels? Did attitudes to the bind change over the years, and if so why? Is this just a weird interpretation of Ringeck's writings?

I'm really confused and wondering where this idea of not striking to the man comes from, basically, and if anyone has any ideas about why it doesn't seem to show up in Meyer's or Fiore's works (at least that I've seen) and maybe has some idea why it changed (or if it changed at all).

edit: I also realise this is not the best place to be asking about this but I just want to throw in some deeper discussion of our hobby about thrusting powerfully into other dudes.

I was gonna get into this after my class yesterday, which conveniently was about the zornhau, but then I went and watched movies and played videogames instead. True story.

A problem with a lot of HEMA books these days is that a good bunch of them are over a decade old, while research has kept marching on. Thus you get a lot of contradictory stuff--for example, the entire ARMA way of striking is entirely opposite to how we roll in Europe.

I don't know enough about the historical research aspect of HEMA to answer how Ringeck thought of the bind, but my understanding of the zorn/meister-hau has always been that they take the place of parries in the Liechtenauer system. The entire system is based around gaining the initiative, so you never want to make a passive movement like a parry, since that will mean your opponent maintains initiative, because the blades are too heavy for double tempo actions.

Which means that when you make a regular blow, you attempt to knife the fucker, failing which, you end up in the bind. And from there you do all sorts of fancy bind poo poo and stab/slash the fucker. Making a zornhau means you hold off on claiming initiative, then as a counter, actively attempt to displace the opponent's weapon, breaking his position and entering the bind in a very aggressive manner, earning you the initiative and putting you in a very threatening position.

Makrond
Aug 8, 2009

Now that I have all the animes, I can finally
become Emperor of Japan!
Yeah that's always how I've seen it as well, but it seems weird to me for something to recommend never attempting to strike at an opponent. If I can get out of the way of their sword and strike at their centre line, it seems absurd to give up that initiative and instead enter the bind, which was what the book seemed to recommend. Essentially, instead of attempting to knife the fucker and falling back on the bind if it doesn't work, the book says that the first and only goal of a strike is to get into the bind. I don't have the exact text anymore unfortunately or I'd be quoting it, but it says something to the effect of the bind being a safer position to attack from, which also seems kind of absurd to me because I personally don't feel safe at all in the bind, especially against someone more experienced than I am.

FreddyJackieTurner
May 15, 2008

Question for you guys when it comes to strength and conditioning. Am I right in assuming the basic idea is its best to focus on strength gain and lifting when you don't have a competition coming up, but when there is a competition coming up its better to focus on cardio, sport specific work-outs, and circuit training? The idea is that strength is slower to build and slower to lose.

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

Practice knighthood and learn
the art that dignifies you

Makrond posted:

I don't have the exact text anymore unfortunately or I'd be quoting it, but it says something to the effect of the bind being a safer position to attack from, which also seems kind of absurd to me because I personally don't feel safe at all in the bind, especially against someone more experienced than I am.

However, the bind *is* safer to attack from when you have the initiative. Keeping in contact with the opponent means you are dictating what actions he can and cannot take, and when entering the bind with a meisterhau, you both have the initiative and a superior position from which to attack. Getting out of the way of the blow and striking is fine and all, you should certainly go for it if you can, but defending yourself in that scenario is more difficult because you need to both score a succesful attack and make sure his blade is not threatening you in one motion. For which fighting from the bind is ideal. As an added bonus, if you don't kill the fucker with one blow, when bound, you are still limiting his actions, so he can't flip out and stab your rear end before dying.

I'm sure there are some strikers reading this, what's the deal with clinch fighting? I'd imagine there are a lot of parallels to the swordy binding we're talking about.

Makrond
Aug 8, 2009

Now that I have all the animes, I can finally
become Emperor of Japan!
Okay yeah that makes a lot more sense to me. I guess I'm still kind of spazzy and new to this (and haven't done a lot of binding in general, we generally focus more on deflection/displacement for sparring purposes), so I wasn't really sure why the bind would be considered safer. Looking at some stuff about entering the bind with a meisterhau they certainly do seem to leave you in an advantageous position.

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

JohnsonsJohnson posted:

Question for you guys when it comes to strength and conditioning. Am I right in assuming the basic idea is its best to focus on strength gain and lifting when you don't have a competition coming up, but when there is a competition coming up its better to focus on cardio, sport specific work-outs, and circuit training? The idea is that strength is slower to build and slower to lose.

Depends on what sport you're doing. All of my advice is for boxing/thai boxing, so keep that in mind.

What's really important is to consider your height. If you are something like 160cm, fighting in the 80kg division is really going to give you a lot of headaches. Your opponents will most likely be taller and have longer reach than you.

Assuming you want to fight boxing/thai boxing, in my opinion it's far far far better to do endurance training, roadwork, cardio, circuit training literally every single day. If you have to skip technique training in order to do it, skip it. Endurance is frequently the deciding factor in most fights. Who can stay cleanest the longest has a better chance of winning.

Strength training you're better off working explosive strength, instead of strength gain. So you'd rather work for repetition and endurance, instead of most kgs weighed on.

As to competition times, a large factor why people work like that is because you're more likely to sustain an injury/pull a muscle/overwork something lifting weights than roadwork. Other than that, I train like how you said, lift when there's no competition in sight, start focusing cardio six weeks before a fight. But if you have to choose, your priority chart should look something like this:

1. roadwork
2. technique
2a. sparring
3. lifting

Kumo Jr.
Mar 21, 2006

JON JONES APOLOGIST #4

niethan posted:

I can't really say too much because for the majority of the fights the camera is pointed at the ground away from the fight. I thought I saw you going for a gogoplata in the first fight, but I couldn't see a setup or how it was lost.

In both fights you seem uncomfortable on the feet, you're standing a bit straight up in the air, and you're hesitant to engage. It's almost like you're passively grappling and feeling it out, which don't get me wrong I often make the same mistake, but in a competition you want to be sharp. Attack anything rather than waiting to see what your opponent will do.

Also, unless you have some great throw from the collar tie-up that you weren't able to execute I'd advise abandoning that position. You grab the collar tie-up in both videos, but nothing really happens there because it's a relatively stale position. I see it a lot from guys that cross-train in mma, they're so used to wrestling for underhooks and overhooks that they just grab from it and see what's there (often nothing). It's kind of a stalling position, which is another part of the reason why your opponent was able to take you down relatively easily in the second match.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Guilty posted:

Endurance is frequently the deciding factor in most fights. Who can stay cleanest the longest has a better chance of winning.

You sometimes hear the principle: you have to learn to fight tired.
While that is true, I think it's overrated. It's way more awesome to fight fresh and be able to use your technique while fresh.

CivilDisobedience
Dec 27, 2008

niethan posted:

Crosspost from grappling thread

So here are the results.

Nice fights, thanks for posting. You're kinda halfway between the two most effective standing postures. Standing tall isn't a bad thing, but I'd suggest bending your knees a bit more so your opponent isn't starting shots with his hips under yours, and extending through the top of your head instead of looking down. Remember that the point of standing tall is that it gives you enough mobility to dance around and use forward throws, so you don't necessarily want to brace when the opponent tries to hang on you to break your posture- just slide away from the spot on the floor where they're committing weight, swing them around it, and attack when they base out to land.

It seems like the most practical advice I could give you would be that you should have a default gameplan to flow into as soon as you get a collar&elow grip. One reliable plan is to level change (fake a shot) so the opponent starts to back their hips away from you, and then rise up and try to lift them into the air by their shoulders with your C&E grip. It works because you catch them while their forward/backward equilibrium is off and they can't brace against anything to resist your lift, and you can finish however you want. I usually hit the fireman's carry if I haven't gotten all the way back to standing, hip throw if I have.

CivilDisobedience fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Feb 26, 2012

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Hydrolith posted:

Can anyone recommend a good Brazilian Jiu-jitsu place in Melbourne? I've decided to get back into martial arts after a while (I did Karate back when I was a teenager). I'm wary of McDojos or other dodginess. I've had a bit of a look online, but it's a bit hard to tell from the websites.

You're in a good place. There are two large BJJ organizations in Australia, and they're both run out of Melbourne. Here's John Will's school, for a start (he is an interesting dude, one of the first ten or so non-brazilians to get a black belt, and he also taught George Sotiropoulos until he moved to the US): http://www.blackbeltstudios.com.au/

If you give me a suburb name or something I will investigate the ones closer to you, there's probably lots of quality instruction down there.

Hydrolith
Oct 30, 2009

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

You're in a good place. There are two large BJJ organizations in Australia, and they're both run out of Melbourne. Here's John Will's school, for a start (he is an interesting dude, one of the first ten or so non-brazilians to get a black belt, and he also taught George Sotiropoulos until he moved to the US): http://www.blackbeltstudios.com.au/

If you give me a suburb name or something I will investigate the ones closer to you, there's probably lots of quality instruction down there.
Cool, that's really good news. I'm pretty much right on the edge of the city itself, Carlton technically.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

http://www.dominance.com.au/ at Richmond looks really good. It's probably pretty expensive, though. It doesn't list price on the website, the facilities look really high quality, the olympic judo team train on their mats, all of which lead me to believe you'd get great instruction here but yeah, expensively.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

This is a throw in sanshou as well as judo. I want to train it over and over now.

Hydrolith
Oct 30, 2009

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

http://www.dominance.com.au/ at Richmond looks really good. It's probably pretty expensive, though. It doesn't list price on the website, the facilities look really high quality, the olympic judo team train on their mats, all of which lead me to believe you'd get great instruction here but yeah, expensively.
Hm. I found that one when I did a bit of digging myself. I was a bit put off by their "register for a free training session" rather than "just come on down, say hi and join in a free lesson". That and the lack of prices, now that you mention it.

Oh well, I might as well check them out anyway. Thanks.

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

kimbo305 posted:

You sometimes hear the principle: you have to learn to fight tired.
While that is true, I think it's overrated. It's way more awesome to fight fresh and be able to use your technique while fresh.

You stay fresh longer by having better endurance, and you improve your endurance through roadwork! And lifting for repetition, instead of strength!

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe
Didn't someone post a research paper they'd done on training / exercise for MMA. I can't help but think that'd be useful, sadly I didn't read it.

Not sure if this is too far for this thread, but I found out my resting heart rate is 95bpm, I fix this by running lots of long distance and doing half hour ergs right?

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

kimbo305 posted:

This is a throw in sanshou as well as judo. I want to train it over and over now.

do you have a gif of the harai goshi he did later in the match? God those 2 throws were beautiful. I was so sad when he ended up losing the fight

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
So recently I've started exploiting night shifts by lifting weights at work and someone's dumped some free weights (and a bar? You call it a bar, right?) and a kettlebell in my living room, so I've slowly started lifting heavy metal things to the best of my ability on the days I don't grapple, but I actually have no idea what I'm doing, and I'll probably kill myself if I just keep looking at youtube instead of actually educating myself.
I'm a skinnybro that has never lifted weights before in my life- so does anyone have a link to some W&W thread or something that I should read up on as far as exercises go. I just want to be a little stronger.

kimbo305 posted:

This throw is so god drat cool.

Bohemian Nights fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Feb 27, 2012

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Bohemian Nights posted:

So recently I've started exploiting night shifts by lifting weights at work and someone's dumped some free weights (and a bar? You call it a bar, right?) and a kettlebell in my living room, so I've slowly started lifting heavy metal things to the best of my ability on the days I don't grapple, but I actually have no idea what I'm doing, and I'll probably kill myself if I just keep looking at youtube instead of actually educating myself.
I'm a skinnybro that has never lifted weights before in my life- so does anyone have a link to some W&W thread or something that I should read up on as far as exercises go. I just want to be a little stronger.

What sort of equipment do you have access too?

If you ask in W&W they'll guide you toward SS : http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2509212

I personally find this to be not so realistic if you train MAs a lot during the week since it's extremely taxing on your body. It's also geared toward pure strength. I tried it for a while but it didn't work for me.

I would personally suggest either : WSFSB http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3359584
Or one of Alfalfa's workout : http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3250231

I tried both of these and they are both awesome. I'm currently on Alfalfa's program 2a and I really love it. It's also only 2 days a week which gives me time for extra cardio or some olympic lifting and I need that right now.

Basically look for big compound movement (squat, deadlift, bench, pull-ups, military press, etc.), always favor free weight instead of machines and few movements per training sessions. When you feel fine stuff like power cleans and olympic movement can be great too.

KingColliwog fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Feb 27, 2012

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

KingColliwog posted:

What sort of equipment do you have access too?

If you ask in W&W they'll guide you toward SS : http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2509212

I personally find this to be not so realistic if you train MAs a lot during the week since it's extremely taxing on your body. It's also geared toward pure strength. I tried it for a while but it didn't work for me.

I would personally suggest either : WSFSB http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3359584
Or one of Alfalfa's workout : http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3250231

I tried both of these and they are both awesome. I'm currently on Alfalfa's program 2a and I really love it. It's also only 2 days a week which gives me time for extra cardio or some olympic lifting and I need that right now.

Basically look for big compound movement (squat, deadlift, bench, pull-ups, military press, etc.), always favor free weight instead of machines and few movements per training sessions. When you feel fine stuff like power cleans and olympic movement can be great too.

Since I have no idea what these things are called in English, I'll just post a picture of what I have available :v: http://i.imgur.com/nXo2J.jpg
That workout for skinny bastards sounds accurate, but I like that this starting strength program has actual descriptions of the exercises. The site it links to for exercises seems very comprehensive, I've been looking for something like that. I should reiterate; I am completely new to lifting weights, I barely know the difference between a curl and a deadlift so most of the terminology in those guides are completely foreign to me (I spent gym class thinking up the best strats for de_aztec or something) , and joining a gym to learn there isn't an option so I'm looking for something that'll be about as descriptive as possible so I can do it myself.
Maybe I can use the descriptions from that starting strength thing and cobble together something akin to one of those other programs!

Bohemian Nights fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Feb 27, 2012

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
If you go on exrx there are gifs of the excercises.

e.g. http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/ErectorSpinae/BBDeadlift.html

A very simple program would be doing 5*5 reps of these with as much weight as you can do them with good technique. This is the 5*5 program iirc

Deadlifts
http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/ErectorSpinae/BBDeadlift.html

Squats
http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Quadriceps/BBFullSquat.html

Military Press
http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/DeltoidAnterior/BBMilitaryPress.html

Bench Press
http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/PectoralSternal/BBBenchPress.html

Rows
http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/BackGeneral/BBBentOverRow.html

niethan fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Feb 27, 2012

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

Kumo Jr. posted:

I can't really say too much because for the majority of the fights the camera is pointed at the ground away from the fight. I thought I saw you going for a gogoplata in the first fight, but I couldn't see a setup or how it was lost.

In both fights you seem uncomfortable on the feet, you're standing a bit straight up in the air, and you're hesitant to engage. It's almost like you're passively grappling and feeling it out, which don't get me wrong I often make the same mistake, but in a competition you want to be sharp. Attack anything rather than waiting to see what your opponent will do.

Also, unless you have some great throw from the collar tie-up that you weren't able to execute I'd advise abandoning that position. You grab the collar tie-up in both videos, but nothing really happens there because it's a relatively stale position. I see it a lot from guys that cross-train in mma, they're so used to wrestling for underhooks and overhooks that they just grab from it and see what's there (often nothing). It's kind of a stalling position, which is another part of the reason why your opponent was able to take you down relatively easily in the second match.
Yeah the camera man was coaching me so when exciting things happened he didnt really concentrate on the camera.

I lost the gogo because I wasn't controlling his posture with my other leg, so turned out of it. Probably shoulda secured the arm and gone for an omoplata.

I have really lovely takedowns and I just was too nervous to pull the trigger and commit to anything, basically I was just reacting in both fights.

CivilDisobedience posted:

Nice fights, thanks for posting. You're kinda halfway between the two most effective standing postures. Standing tall isn't a bad thing, but I'd suggest bending your knees a bit more so your opponent isn't starting shots with his hips under yours, and extending through the top of your head instead of looking down. Remember that the point of standing tall is that it gives you enough mobility to dance around and use forward throws, so you don't necessarily want to brace when the opponent tries to hang on you to break your posture- just slide away from the spot on the floor where they're committing weight, swing them around it, and attack when they base out to land.

It seems like the most practical advice I could give you would be that you should have a default gameplan to flow into as soon as you get a collar&elow grip. One reliable plan is to level change (fake a shot) so the opponent starts to back their hips away from you, and then rise up and try to lift them into the air by their shoulders with your C&E grip. It works because you catch them while their forward/backward equilibrium is off and they can't brace against anything to resist your lift, and you can finish however you want. I usually hit the fireman's carry if I haven't gotten all the way back to standing, hip throw if I have.
I have really lovely takedowns and standup cause in bjj we usually start from the knees since our gym is so small (moving to a newer bigger one soon!) and in mma the standup is kinda different. Probably shoulda just gone for a double or single and sat it out in case of sprawlure.

The gameplan I had planned was to foot sweep, get mount, ezekiel. But soon as poo poo started I had forgotten all about that.

Polyrhythmic Panda
Apr 8, 2010
I've never understood that about BJJ. The style is entirely ground-based, so if you can't get your opponent on the ground in a fight, you are screwed. Why do the majority of gyms seem to spend very little (if any) time training takedowns?

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

Polyrhythmic Panda posted:

I've never understood that about BJJ. The style is entirely ground-based, so if you can't get your opponent on the ground in a fight, you are screwed. Why do the majority of gyms seem to spend very little (if any) time training takedowns?
When you train BJJ as a sport then you aren't really screwed if you can't get your opponent on the ground. And well, being on the bottom isn't really that much of a disadvantage as it is in a sport like wrestling or judo. The way it is scored you get two points for a takedown and four for positions like mount or knee on belly etc.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Getting thrown hurts.

Polyrhythmic Panda
Apr 8, 2010

niethan posted:

When you train BJJ as a sport then you aren't really screwed if you can't get your opponent on the ground. And well, being on the bottom isn't really that much of a disadvantage as it is in a sport like wrestling or judo. The way it is scored you get two points for a takedown and four for positions like mount or knee on belly etc.

I'm talking about fighting though, like self defense or MMA. I thought most people did martial arts so they could be portable rear end-kicking machines. If all you want is to be effective within the confines of very strict rules against practitioners of the same style, you may as well be doing sport TKD, because at least you can impress girls with your fancy kicks.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

I'm talking about fighting though, like self defense or MMA. I thought most people did martial arts so they could be portable rear end-kicking machines. If all you want is to be effective within the confines of very strict rules against practitioners of the same style, you may as well be doing sport TKD, because at least you can impress girls with your fancy kicks.

All martial arts are removed from "real fighting" to varying degrees. Do you complain about boxers not knowing how to wrestle? About wrestlers not knowing how to kick? BJJ doesn't really claim to be real world self defense.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Still in my never ending quest to find the perfect(cheap) dojo. The other day I went to this place that's supposed to be a combination of Shaolin and American Kenpo. The owner of the place seemed like the coolest guy ever. We spent like half an hour with him just explaining to me the history of these martial arts with a buttload of random facts. I'd wanna take his classes just cause he seemed so legitimately passionate about his work. He even offers a whole WEEK's worth of introductory lessons! We still haven't covered the price yet, so I'm hoping to be disappointed by the end of the week. D:

Having said that, I should have simply asked this question earlier on in the thread: Can someone here just recommend me a good place in Los Angeles (specifically the San Fernando Valley area)? One that teaches mostly striking, but if possible with some grappling?

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

When you include takedowns in grappling you significantly increase the chances of getting injured, especially if you don't spend a significant amount of time teaching both proper throws and proper breakfalls, something which is very rarely the case in a BJJ club- and there's also the matter of available space. My club has a traditional base, so we start standing up whenever we can, but if there's more than 25 people on the mat, this becomes pretty hazardous for the duders that have made it to the floor. No-one wants some thrown guy's heel crashing into their eyesocket at a million miles per hour.

Well uh, BJJ is a sport, and wanting to be effective within the rules of a sport isn't really a bad idea if you want to be good at that sport. Soccer players would be a lot more effective if they could catch the ball with their hands, but for some reason, they don't!

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

niethan posted:

BJJ doesn't really claim to be real world self defense.

This is true, however many BJJ bro's (I'm using 'bro's' as a derogatory term here) claim otherwise. Also, numerous advertisements for BJJ schools also make similar claims about self defense.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Guilty posted:

You stay fresh longer by having better endurance, and you improve your endurance through roadwork! And lifting for repetition, instead of strength!

Oh, I'm certainly not disagreeing.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

swmmrmanshen posted:

This is true, however many BJJ bro's (I'm using 'bro's' as a derogatory term here) claim otherwise. Also, numerous advertisements for BJJ schools also make similar claims about self defense.

Well, there's always that 9x% of fights end up on the ground statistic that gets banded around every so often. I suppose the idea is that if all fights end up on the ground, knowing your way around down there could be an advantage.
My grappling top game has definitely helped me out considerably in my job, at least. I think there's something to be said for defending yourself or controlling someone without having to hit them.

Bohemian Nights fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Feb 27, 2012

CivilDisobedience
Dec 27, 2008

niethan posted:

The gameplan I had planned was to foot sweep, get mount, ezekiel. But soon as poo poo started I had forgotten all about that.

drat, that sounds like it would be really hard to do smoothly. Do you drill this sequence? You might consider setting up the foot sweep with a trip or something else that makes them have to step in a predictable way so you don't have to just catch the sweep out of thin air. Also, maybe start from the russian 2on1 so you can start working the arm into ezekial position asap instead of trying to catch it after you take mount.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

CivilDisobedience posted:

drat, that sounds like it would be really hard to do smoothly. Do you drill this sequence? You might consider setting up the foot sweep with a trip or something else that makes them have to step in a predictable way so you don't have to just catch the sweep out of thin air. Also, maybe start from the russian 2on1 so you can start working the arm into ezekial position asap instead of trying to catch it after you take mount.
I was gonna armdrag them to where their foot was available for sweepage

Also no I never drilled it this gameplan is a product of dehydration and the flu on the day before tournament.

niethan fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Feb 27, 2012

• Locked thread