Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

tinaun posted:

So I Am Reading Homestuck is a nice one.

quote:

I’m starting to wonder how much abuse the fourth wall is going to take in this.

Fruck I am now reading a guys reaction to reading homestuck I need to go get a life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady of the Beech
Dec 16, 2011

I clearly just want to be a good friend and bring all my AMAZING FRIENDLINESS to bear on your problems.
I honestly have no idea what kept my interest in Homestuck when I started out. I check it out because there was a lot of hype and yet as I went in I knew literally nothing about it, I didn't even know who the protagonists where (though I'd seen some troll fanart without knowing it was Homestuck).

All I know is that some time in Act 2 I was actually hooked. I know I was definitely hooked by the time I read the Vaulthalla page, which made me happy in my historically authentic wool-woven hose.

Fagtastic
Apr 9, 2009

I may have sucked robodick, fucked a robot in the exhaust, been fucked by robots & enjoy it to the exclusion of human partners; at least I'm not a goddamn :roboluv:
I started out a bit put off by the simplistic art in early act one, though that first animation of the wind eerily blowing through the streets was interesting, I jumped forward a bunch of pages to see if it was going to go anywhere / if the art would improve. I do that a lot, because it happens a lot in good webcomics. I probably wouldn't be reading gunnerkrigg court if I hadn't skipped forward and found that he stopped drawing people with football heads.

So when I did that for homestuck, I go from the first twenty odd pages of John in his house just walking around looking at badly photoshopped ornaments and paintings, to some kind of future-desert where giant robot worms are blasting ancient frog statues with laserbeams. I thought for sure I had accidentally started reading the wrong comic, or was looking at some kind of intermission side project. Took me a while to work out that no, that's where all this is actually going.

You just have to make it to the EoA1 flash.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
When I first read Homestuck, John had installed sburb, but TT hadn't started messing with his house yet. I didn't really understand what was going on with the commands or I would have probably been more interested and tried entering some.

Months later, troll avatars started showing up, and I had no idea how this was possibly connected with the webcomic I had seen. Then somebody mentioned MSPA as really exploring the internet as a storytelling medium so I looked into it and got hooked.

Lady of the Beech
Dec 16, 2011

I clearly just want to be a good friend and bring all my AMAZING FRIENDLINESS to bear on your problems.
Wow, that's really far back!

I got caught up just before Vriska's death during Scratch's narration. I took a two breaks early on in Act 1 and early in Hivebent, but the rest I pretty much bombed through at full speed.

I didn't get the whole story first time around as a result, so now I'm reading bits and pieces again. Currently rereading Hivebent.

Lady of the Beech fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Feb 27, 2012

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

I admire man's ability to see beauty in everything! Even a flame!
I didn't start reading Homestuck until the Midnight Crew intermission was almost over, and the first go through I skipped a lot of flashes and skimmed a decent amount of the text (I definitely skipped through the Jaspers flash and the sweet bass riff reveal of Prospit, along with some others because I didn't realize how vital to the plot they were).

Once I got caught up, though, I skipped back and actually read closer and watched all the flashes all the way through. Homestuck is a really weird thing to get into if you don't know what to expect, I skipped through so many Flash updates because I was unused to seeing them at the time.

TOAST7312
Oct 18, 2010

AT: uHHH, nO DAD NO!

A good poster posted:

First Dante Basco was getting put off by the pace of act I, then he had to go back because he was skipping pesterlogs. By the time he gets to the Rufio appearances he probably won't even care any more.

He's already re-read what he messed up on and caught up; he definitely seems interested, if not mostly due to the fact that his tumblr has become increasingly watched due to reading Homestuck.

hopy shipt an actor liking popularity? this couldn't possibly be a thing that will keep on being a thing! :v:

I can't say that someone, when making a mistake that big on anything, who goes back and re-does the entire thing isn't going to continue reading. If I had invested that much time I would definitely continue. It would be a waste otherwise. :colbert:

Besides, he called Hussie genius. He obviously likes it.

Lady of the Beech
Dec 16, 2011

I'm looking forward to Dante's future reactions, especially his reaction to becoming Tavros's self-esteem.

It's too bad that since he didn't read the other three adventures first, he's going to miss some of the jokes. But eh, that happened to me too, and I can't say my experience was tainted by that.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TOAST7312 posted:

hopy shipt an actor liking popularity? this couldn't possibly be a thing that will keep on being a thing! :v:

Meh, there are exceptions. Ever hear of Timothy Olyphant?

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Dante posted:

You know, this whole Homestuck fiasco, is one of the most unique and strange things that has happend to me. One, I’ve never read anything remotely close to this, I’ve never read a webcomic in my life. Also, I’ve never read anything with a couple thousand people kind of guiding me along the way, this whole experience is mind blowing! I mean the author greeted me on the screen and entering this whole world that I had no idea even existed a few days ago feels like stepping into a new dimension, and with tumblr, I can feel you guys all here with me… I don’t know, it’s late, I’m tired, my mind is tired… I’m Homestuck.

I think Dante is getting a little overwhelmed.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

I think this is going to be the first case of Homestuck driving a dude legitimately insane.

Lord of Laughton
Nov 11, 2008

It's hard to say for certain
But I think I like it here.
Maybe it's the crowbar, but did anyone else get a Felt vibe from these dudes?

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?

MSPA Front page posted:

YOU'RE DOING IT MAN

Hahaha, oh, Hussie. Never change :allears:

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Starmaker posted:

They would have had to enter post-apocalypse, like the Exiles do.

Nope! Skaia seeds meteors all across the history of the host planet's timeline, it's merely most of them that are concentrated into one apocalyptic meteor shower. In addition to the player/ancestor/First Guardian meteors we've seen at least two random meteors land on pre-apocalypse Alternia to deliver stuff to the trolls before the session began: one with Mindfang's stuff and one with Cal and the wallet. So there is room for Exiles to have arrived before the apocalypse proper.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Gabriel Pope posted:

one with Mindfang's stuff
Oh hey now that we have a Maybe Mindfang hanging around mysteriously, possibly this is a thing that will get explained!

because uh that's been bugging me for a while

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Considering that the Condesce can be the Black Queen on Derse while running Crockercorp on Earth it's entirely possible that these guys just came the old fashioned way: stowing away.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Cabbit posted:

Considering that the Condesce can be the Black Queen on Derse while running Crockercorp on Earth it's entirely possible that these guys just came the old fashioned way: stowing away.
If there is indeed a relatively "easy" way to go back and forth between the session and Earth, then this also might be a possible avenue for an explanation regarding Grandpa Harley's antics.

Scale Model Giant
Jan 19, 2009

Nate RFB posted:

If there is indeed a relatively "easy" way to go back and forth between the session and Earth, then this also might be a possible avenue for an explanation regarding Grandpa Harley's antics.

Not to mention another route for the kids to get into the game without prototyping (still hoping this isn't the case)

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Rambling time.

This story has timetravel, and the Medium is temporally independent of the universe, like the troll's universe was, so the Condence being in two places at one is pretty easy to explain given that she seems to be pretty much immortal, if not merely extremely long lived. She could have served as the Black Queen for Lord English, then went back in a meteor to arrive on Earth a hundred years or so before the current date and took up the mantle of Betty Crocker, which would also explain why Nanna thought the B1 Crocker was an alien too, if the Bifurcation theory is correct.

I guess these exiles could have come with her or something butit seems narratively inelegant, as that explanation would mean that some exiles probably should have been on B1 earth while humans still populated the planet and it just never came up. I guess Hussie could expound on that later but it seems a little bit of a stretch right now. I think we would need to know 100% if The Reckoning happens at all in the B2 universe (I think it must even if simply because of GCat's presence), and how those meteors affect the original B1 universe. If Bifurcation happened, not all the meteors must be Bifurcated, unless we see B2 Bec show up at some point.

a debaser
May 9, 2008

Lord of Laughton posted:

Maybe it's the crowbar, but did anyone else get a Felt vibe from these dudes?

This is definitely what I'm seeing. Do we know which universe the Felt existed in?

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

a debaser posted:

This is definitely what I'm seeing. Do we know which universe the Felt existed in?

The troll's universe, since the Midnight Crew intermission takes place in the Alternian future. The Midnight Crew (and Snowman, and maybe some others?) are the exiles.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(

a debaser posted:

A2, on Post-Hivebent Alternia. That's not to say that's where they originated, that's just where they ended up.

Come to think of it, Doc Scratch did say that the Condesce's new purpose was one of recruitment on Lord English's behalf.

The plot thickens...

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Bobulus posted:

Precision F-Strike is pretty good, because she picks up on foreshadowing and hints quickly and has interesting things to say, but I've already read that one.

Fffffffffffuck you, I just wasted 9 hours of my day reading through that whole thing.

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

Prison Warden posted:

I guess these exiles could have come with her or something but it seems narratively inelegant, as that explanation would mean that some exiles probably should have been on B1 earth while humans still populated the planet and it just never came up.

While I understand this line of thinking, it's pretty reasonable to believe that not all of the meteors arrived at exactly the same time or exactly the same way, or are even accounted for at all. It's perfectly reasonable to think that the B1 universe didn't have exiles until after the reckoning, but B2 did. The B2 universe already has a different frog temple, and the reckoning hasn't happened in 2009. The other possible difference would be the entry-item meteors, but that remains to be seen.

I'm curious about the idea that there are several meteors that fall to earth during the reckoning, all carrying equipment and technology that aids in seeding the new planet. To me, there's nothing saying that Roxy's lab isn't part of this. Maybe in the B1 session, she and Grandpa Harley commandeered the lab and folded it into the SkaiaNet corporation. If this is the case, then it's possible that there are several other stations that have Universe-to-Session capabilities. There's probably one that lets you go directly to your own session/universe.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

YF-23 posted:

Fffffffffffuck you, I just wasted 9 hours of my day reading through that whole thing.

Work is unexpectedly slow today so I was spinning through this and reading the Hivebent reaction section, I just finally remembered that there is a precedent of sorts to Roxy's cowboy wizard scribble.

Single greatest callback in all of MSPA.

EDIT: Also gently caress those squiggles look suspiciously reminiscent of the Life and Hope symbols don't they? Hussie you sneaky bastard.

the holy poopacy fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Feb 27, 2012

TOAST7312
Oct 18, 2010

AT: uHHH, nO DAD NO!

MSPA Front Page posted:

YOU'RE DOING IT MAN

If the next part isn't YOU'RE MAKING THIS HAPEN, I will ironically flip the proverbial table.

Tollymain posted:

No I haven't. Should I have?

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Tollymain posted:

I don't intend to start a derail but I gotta know what you're referring to here

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

TOAST7312 posted:

If the next part isn't YOU'RE MAKING THIS HAPEN, I will ironically flip the proverbial table.

I really hope that "WERE MAKING THIS HAPEN" is the name of the fan music album.

Cryophage
Jan 14, 2012

what the hell is that creepy cartoon thing in your avatar?
Just caught up on secret pony redux, and I'm not sure how I feel about it; if followed up on, it would mean that Roxy has an unreciprocated desire for every other character she knows. In other words, she's Eridan.

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape
GCAT what are you doing?! Bad god cat!

Hyedum
Jun 12, 2010
Uh oh... If these windows follow PS rules, Roxy is in some real poo poo now.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
Hey, at least the window got unplugged before she was halfway through it. Maybe Dirk will get the idea and plug it in.

FewtureMD
Dec 19, 2010

I am very powerful, of course.

oh nooo :(

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

That can't be good.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.
I was wondering how Nanna & Grandpa Harley were so much older than Rose's Mom & Dave's Bro, but this "trapped inbetween areas" thing might help lead to the age variance. Maybe?

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?

XkyRauh posted:

I was wondering how Nanna & Grandpa Harley were so much older than Rose's Mom & Dave's Bro, but this "trapped inbetween areas" thing might help lead to the age variance. Maybe?

They could've just been sent back on differing meteors.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Pastrymancy posted:

They could've just been sent back on differing meteors.

They were just sent back on differing meteors.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Man the server was really chugging when that last update first went live.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Roxy's mouth in the Solicit page just looks... weird.

And this update demonstrates why you don't give god powers to cats (or assholes in general).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

GCAT could actually be still helping her, in a roundabout way. If his intent was to disable the window, he could have just unplugged it. As it stands now, he's just changed the exit point to Dirk, who can presumably plug it back in, and then help Roxy.