Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

dissss posted:

Seriously? Software upgrades can go wrong, it does not matter whether its Windows or OSX or iOS or Android.

Ditching a device completely because the upgrade hasn't gone smoothly is incredibly stupid advice.

Ah, I mistakenly thought he installed a custom rom and that it hadn't received an official update yet.

So it's that slow with the official update?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011
HI, I'M HARDCORE SAX HERE TO DROP A NICE JUICY TURD OF A POST FROM UP ON HIGH

Dodoman posted:

ICS is...so...drat...sexy :love:. Still a few bugs here and there, but overall a much more pleasant experience than Honeycomb.

I'm pretty blown away by ICS on the Transformer too. The doubts I had about it have been pretty well dispelled so far, it's running really great so far.

steak ox
Dec 3, 2005
you're the milk in my refrigerator of love

Dodoman posted:

According to that guy since it's not original it's not good.

:what:

The rip-off part may be true, but it doesn't change my opinion of it. It looks good on my transformers screen. It's sharp and clear and, most importantly, looks better than the old font.

It's sharp and clear to you? It's actually a lot harder on the eyes than the old font to me. I really hated it after updating my Transformer to ICS, but I'm slowly getting used to it, although I really wish there was a way to switch back. I guess this all boils down to personal preferences.

Ciabatta
Aug 20, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

steak ox posted:

It's sharp and clear to you? It's actually a lot harder on the eyes than the old font to me. I really hated it after updating my Transformer to ICS, but I'm slowly getting used to it, although I really wish there was a way to switch back. I guess this all boils down to personal preferences.

I haven't tried on a Transformer specifically, but if you're rooted you can use an app called Rom Toolbox to change the font (and other things, too). There are almost certainly other apps that do the same if that one doesn't work.

Captain Cool
Oct 23, 2004

This is a song about messin' with people who've been messin' with you

Zoodpipe posted:

Has there been any additional information as to when Samsung will release Ice Cream Sandwich for the original Tab 10.1?

Is it still a vague timeframe of Q1?
The press release was an even more vague "soon after the devices that are updated in Q1" and I don't think there have been any other updates.

Zoodpipe
Jun 24, 2004

This is an important call. So, shut the fuck up.
Fallen Rib

Captain Cool posted:

The press release was an even more vague "soon after the devices that are updated in Q1" and I don't think there have been any other updates.

Well, there's still a month left in Q1 so I guess they're technically late....

I can't complain too much I guess. I received the Tab as a gift for doing product testing at work and I already have an iPad. However, I'm now testing a completely stock Galaxy Nexus and the difference between 3.2 and 4.0 is like night and day. I like the Tab for the most part. I think if it were running 4.0, it would just be that much better.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
The next Transformer, named Infinity, was shown at a presser. 1920x1200 isn't anything to sneeze at.

(EDIT: The people at Android Central need to take a break and rest, since they're listing a Tegra 2 instead of a T3 as reported on other sites.)

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Feb 27, 2012

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

http://www.theverge.com/2012/2/27/2827546/asus-padfone-pictures-availability-phone-tablet-laptop-stylus

Vagrancy fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Feb 27, 2012

Zoodpipe
Jun 24, 2004

This is an important call. So, shut the fuck up.
Fallen Rib

Is it a pen or a phone in a pen? How deep does the rabbit hole go?

Penpadphone?

Penphablet?

Phabletpen?

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
I'm sure the YOSPOS crowd will hate it but I think that's a pretty nifty solution to the issue of "my phone is in my tablet."

Only if the stylus comes with the dock and has a happy home in the dock. Otherwise lol.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
That looks pretty cool and seems like a nice way to tide people over until we get tiny unnoticeable bluetooth headsets.

Whooping Toff
Oct 21, 2010

*ahem*

I do beg your pardon.
We pretty much already do have tiny headsets already, but they can only be so small and still be usable. An in-earphone sized headset is good enough for listening to a phone call, but good luck with the microphone to pick up your voice. Being inside/only just outside your ear it will be picking up everything around you at about the same level as your voice. It would need a pretty good microphone and maybe even some sort of noise cancelling going on to make it good to use, i would think

A pen shaped one means you can have a low quality microphone much closer to your mouth, as well as a medium quailty speaker close to your ear.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

zachol posted:

That looks pretty cool and seems like a nice way to tide people over until we get tiny unnoticeable bluetooth headsets.

Don't we already have those? Why would anyone want to hold a stylus to their face to answer a call?

Also, :spergin: fonts :spergin:, really? How long until I have to hear one more time how Steve Jobs sat in on a calligraphy class at Nudey U, and how no one in the universe woulda ever put real typeface in their computers if some Nudey calligrapher hadn't shown him the world...

That said, that "one guy" isn't exactly some neckbeard with a blog, though I do like the '8's in Frankensteino.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Is that a digitizer stylus or a capacitive stylus?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Some hands-ons with the Transformer Pad 300, AKA "Asus Transformer without a backplate that blocks wireless signals"

http://www.theverge.com/2012/2/27/2827588/asus-transformer-pad-infinity-series-and-transformer-pad-300-series
http://www.engadget.com/2012/02/27/asus-transformer-pad-300-hands-on/
http://androidcommunity.com/asus-transformer-pad-300-lte-official-hands-on-20120227/

Man, the ruby red version is garish.

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

Asus is working on their tablet segments

300 series will replace the OG. Tegra 3, plastic backing, standard 1280x800 IPS screen (no super) http://www.anandtech.com/show/5588/the-asus-transformer-pad-300-series

Prime in the middle

Infinity at the high end. 1920x1200 screen. Tegra 3 like the prime. If yo want LTE it switches out the processor for a krait. http://www.anandtech.com/show/5586/the-asus-transformer-pad-infinity-1920-x-1200-display-krait-optional

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
Is there going to be any backward comparability with the older versions of the keyboard docks?

Secret Sweater
Oct 17, 2005
dup

E2M2 posted:

Is there going to be any backward comparability with the older versions of the keyboard docks?

With how they played their chargers, I'm gonna go ahead and say good loving luck.

Why yes, I would love to pay $30 for this $2 thermonuclear chinese charger :a2m:

Shorter Than Some
May 6, 2009

lamentable dustman posted:

Asus is working on their tablet segments

300 series will replace the OG. Tegra 3, plastic backing, standard 1280x800 IPS screen (no super) http://www.anandtech.com/show/5588/the-asus-transformer-pad-300-series

Prime in the middle

Infinity at the high end. 1920x1200 screen. Tegra 3 like the prime. If yo want LTE it switches out the processor for a krait. http://www.anandtech.com/show/5586/the-asus-transformer-pad-infinity-1920-x-1200-display-krait-optional

How big a deal is the lack of a super ips scree? I was kinda hoping the 300 would be just the Prime with less problems (if slightly uglier),

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Shorter Than Some posted:

How big a deal is the lack of a super ips scree? I was kinda hoping the 300 would be just the Prime with less problems (if slightly uglier),

It might be using the same screen as the OG transformer, if it is it means that the overall brightness is actually less. According to notebook review, I would link the articles however I am on a phone, the OG screen had an average brightness of about 332 cd/m^2 at maximum and the prime at 484 cd/m^2 without Super IPS+ mode(514 with).

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

:golgo:
EVERYONE EXCEPT THE HOT WOMEN
:golgo:

Install Gentoo posted:

I had the same thing happen, for some reason it didn't list Google +, Amazon Kindle and Dropbox on My Apps anymore, but it worked when I went to their market pages and chose to install again or update.

Had to factory reset and restore because when I went into the market it had an install link, but clicking on it just launched the app it thought wasn't installed.

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

SlayVus posted:

It might be using the same screen as the OG transformer, if it is it means that the overall brightness is actually less. According to notebook review, I would link the articles however I am on a phone, the OG screen had an average brightness of about 332 cd/m^2 at maximum and the prime at 484 cd/m^2 without Super IPS+ mode(514 with).
Pretty sure this is right

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
What kind of price difference is asus expencting between all 3 of these devices?

Captain Cool
Oct 23, 2004

Zoodpipe posted:

Well, there's still a month left in Q1 so I guess they're technically late....
The press release phrasing leaves room for them to release it after Q1. They might even push it until well after the Tab 2s come out so they can use ICS to sell those.

Captain Cool fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Feb 27, 2012

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

God I hope the iPad 2 gets price cut to $299 or $249 to force some downward pressure on the midrange Android tablets. The $399-$499 starting price of some mid tier Android tablets is kind of irksome, and no one at MWC has indicated that they are going to be priced more aggressively than last year's models.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Turnquiet posted:

God I hope the iPad 2 gets price cut to $299 or $249 to force some downward pressure on the midrange Android tablets. The $499 starting price of some mid tier Android tablets is kind of irksome.

I doubt it, Apple sells as many as they can make at $499+. No reason to cheapen it.

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

Don Lapre posted:

What kind of price difference is asus expencting between all 3 of these devices?

400/500/600/700(LTE) is the estimate on Anandtech. But I don't think there is anything official on the 300 and Infinity

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

400/500/600/700(LTE) is the estimate on Anandtech. But I don't think there is anything official on the 300 and Infinity

If its $700 on contract in the US then thats gonna be loving absurd.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Asus doesn't have any carrier agreements in the US, so I doubt it will be sold on contract.

Honestly, I doubt it will be sold at all in the US and will probably just be a variant for overseas.

Captain Cool
Oct 23, 2004

oops

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Pretty sure this is right

In retrospect of my previous post, they might also use an updated screen from the OG. According to the same reviews one notebook review, the contrast of the OG is petty bad compared to the Prime. 887:1 vs 1836:1

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Asus-Eee-Pad-Transformer-TF101-Tablet-MID.54258.0.html OG TF

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Asus-Eee-Pad-Transformer-Prime-TF201-Tablet-MID.69849.0.html Prime

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Turnquiet posted:

God I hope the iPad 2 gets price cut to $299 or $249 to force some downward pressure on the midrange Android tablets.

Don Lapre posted:

I doubt it, Apple sells as many as they can make at $499+. No reason to cheapen it.

According to rumor, the iPad 3 may come with a price hike. That doesn't bode well for a huge discount on the iPad 2.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Rastor posted:

According to rumor, the iPad 3 may come with a price hike. That doesn't bode well for a huge discount on the iPad 2.

Why would a chinese site and chinese document be using US prices?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
We have no idea what the iPad's price structure will be like, we've heard one Retina SKU and one without, etc. What we do know about the iPad is that it's margins at launch are extremely tiny, with Apple basically selling them for the cost of parts and manufacture, rolling in dough with their software distribution and their phone business of course.

It does make a compelling argument to drop the iPad 2 to $299 or so, because even at that price only about 15% of the iPad-buying segment is interested in that, and presently non-Android tablets collectively control about 5% of the industry.

Regarding ASUS, if their plan is to soldier on with the Prime as a mid-range device, do they have any plan to revise the hardware so that the backplate doesn't kill wireless signals? I'm okay with no GPS, but no wifi ruins it. I feel more compelled to get a 300 so long as they continue that error.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Feb 27, 2012

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Craptacular! posted:

It does make a compelling argument to drop the iPad 2 to $299 or so, because even at that price only about 15% of the iPad-buying segment is interested in that, and presently non-Android tablets collectively control about 5% of the industry.

Why would you lower the price of something you cannot build fast enough?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Don Lapre posted:

It doesn't matter, because that's not happening?

McLarenF1
Jan 9, 2004

Looking to Buy a McLaren, Anyone Selling One .... Cheap?
What happened to that Asus 7 inch Tegra 3 1200x800 tablet for $250? Wasn't that suppose to start a more competitive price war?

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.

Don Lapre posted:

A) There weren't even any shortages during Christmas. Supply will keep up with demand except immediately following launch. Half of China will be balls-deep in production.

B) To clear the channel in anticipation of a launch.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Craptacular! posted:

What we do know about the iPad is that it's margins at launch are extremely tiny, with Apple basically selling them for the cost of parts and manufacture, rolling in dough with their software distribution and their phone business of course.
Where did you get that idea? Wherever, it's wrong.

iPad2 launched on 3/11/2011 at $729 for the 32G 3G model and on 3/13/2011 iSuppli tore it down and put the BOM at $326 for the 32G/3G model. That's a cost of $403, or ~55% profit. Add in manufacturing and that's only another ~$7.

Apple's hardware profit margins are huge right out of the gate, and software profits are relatively tiny -- truly negligibly small and not even in the hundreds of millions. You don't get $100bn in the bank by selling poo poo at tiny margins or taking ~30% (before server/bandwidth costs) to sell some songs and apps for $1 each.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

randyest posted:

Where did you get that idea? Wherever, it's wrong.

It seems to be all over the place, with some people thinking they're making almost as much as 50% while others suggest a more modest 25%.