Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

VodeAndreas posted:

Ouch, I was expecting it to cost but that's a bit more than I expected still... Thanks for the alternate suggestions I'll check some more reasonable options out :(

Personally I'd recommend one of the Buro chairs if you can - they're priced pretty reasonably, are AFRDI 6 rated, have 10 year warranties and are made to withstand the weight of the fat neckbeards at Whirlpool (150kg).

Edit: and even though they're a bit overpriced there, you can even have them ordered in from officeworks.

Tornhelm fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Feb 15, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Taima posted:

Thanks. I actually ended up getting the Rhythm since I found a pre-owned chair. Good to know that I'm not missing much.

Do you live close to a major city? Deals can be had on liquidated office chairs on Craigslist and such. Sometimes a long drive can be worth it, I made a 4 hour trip to San Francisco for my embody but it was $660.

well drat, I guess I better look into that - I live in Atlanta. I guess I was worried about like 'fakes', but I think a Herman Miller chair would be pretty tough to fake... without being obvious or something.

Jack_tripper
Jun 7, 2009

mindphlux posted:

well drat, I guess I better look into that - I live in Atlanta. I guess I was worried about like 'fakes', but I think a Herman Miller chair would be pretty tough to fake... without being obvious or something.

I can get you an Imbody by Howard Miller for only $250, send me a pm

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Pardon me if this has been asked recently, but what's considered the best option for bargain-priced chairs in the ~$100 range? Obviously you're very limited in the quality you can get, but surely there's some leaders in the bargain market.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Zorak posted:

Pardon me if this has been asked recently, but what's considered the best option for bargain-priced chairs in the ~$100 range? Obviously you're very limited in the quality you can get, but surely there's some leaders in the bargain market.

I am not sure how the prices compare to the UK, but since we are 'ripoff Britain' and I see used Humanscale Freedoms (no headreast) on ebay for £125 perhaps you might find one within your price range?

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

mindphlux posted:

I wouldn't be too worried about it, the Embody is ridiculously ornate compared to any other office chair I've seen. It would be extremely hard or impossible for some knockoff outfit to copy it.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Zorak posted:

There really aren't, basically all budget chairs are the same. If you can find a nice namebrand chair used, that's probably the best route, but even then I doubt you'd be paying $100.

DaRealAce
Dec 27, 2004
Touch It.. No I dont want to... TOUCH IT!
I have found a Herman Miller used on craigslist for $200.00. But it has a broken seat frame. I have found I can get a whole new seat for $169 which will fix the issue.

So is $369.00 worth it for a Herman Miller?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

DaRealAce posted:

I have found a Herman Miller used on craigslist for $200.00. But it has a broken seat frame. I have found I can get a whole new seat for $169 which will fix the issue.

So is $369.00 worth it for a Herman Miller?
Herman Miller what? They're the brand name, not the chair model.

DaRealAce
Dec 27, 2004
Touch It.. No I dont want to... TOUCH IT!
It is the Herman Miller Aaron.

Toper Hollyphant
Jul 31, 2010

DaRealAce posted:

Aeron, but yeah, that's quite great price if the chair is otherwise in proper condition. You might want to check if it has the tilt controls. The chair is great, but it really needs to be adjusted.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

DaRealAce posted:

It's a pretty good deal... If nothing else is broken/worn out on the chair. Buyer beware with used furniture.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

http://www.staples.com/Tempur-Pedic-TP8000-Ergonomic-Mesh-Mid-Back-Task-Chair-Black/product_324599

Any opinions on this one? Went to the local office store today and tried this out, felt pretty good and the seat felt like it wouldn't collapse after a few months. I have a cheap-rear end Costco chair right now and the padding has collapsed to the point where I think I've bruised my tailbone or something because I'm sitting basically on the base of the chair.

I've got about $300 in my budget right now.

cliffy
Apr 12, 2002

Just picked up a used Aeron for $300 off of craigslist. Everything appears to be working just fine. Really happy I picked it up, I think my back will thank me for this.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.

Zorak posted:

My IKEA Nominell with Arms is pretty comfortable, and while it squeaks like a motherfucker, feels really sturdy. It was around that.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

dunkan posted:

If you do get a chair from Staples buy their 3 year protection plan. It cost ~$17 and is a no questions asked refund. Fill out a web form with "arm fell off" and they send you a gift card to staples for the purchase price.

A unscrupulous fellow might even just do it if their chair is fine, for essentially a free chair.

It works out for me since a chair can only suffer my massive form for a yearish before needing replaced. (6'7" ~350)

This. I've done this twice with computer chairs from Staples after seeing it recommended in another thread a couple years ago. The faux leather of my current chair is starting to peel and crack after a year on one of the arms, I explained this to the customer service rep with as many words, told them it wasn't due to personal negligence or whatever it is they ask, and they sent me out a gift card for the value of the chair and told me I could throw it away. I'll probably give it to a friend instead.

almostkorean
Jul 9, 2001
eeeeeeeee
Sorry if this has been asked before, but I'm going to look at an Aeron tomorrow that I found on Craigslist. What should I look for to make sure it's in good condition?

Here's the pictures he sent me: http://imgur.com/a/6wmcb He says the only problem with it is that there's some scuffs/scratches on the arm rest. Other than that it appears to be in good condition (to me at least).

almostkorean fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Feb 22, 2012

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

almostkorean posted:

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I'm going to look at an Aeron tomorrow that I found on Craigslist. What should I look for to make sure it's in good condition?

Here's the pictures he sent me: http://imgur.com/a/6wmcb He says the only problem with it is that there's some scuffs/scratches on the arm rest. Other than that it appears to be in good condition (to me at least).

Make sure the pellicle (mesh material) isn't overly worn or thin in any spots. Also make sure it is fairly taught and springly, and not loose and stretchy.

Check the lumbar support pad on both ends to make sure it isn't wearing out or developing any cracks.

Use all the controls and make sure they work (height adjustment, tilt limiter, etc).

Make sure the armrests stay in place when tightened fully and don't slide up and down.

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

I'm sure this has been mentioned already, but those Herman Miller Aerons have 12 year warranties. We have a ton of them in the office that a customer gave us to pay off a debt and when anything breaks we just contact them and they send us a replacement part or have us send in half the drat chair for refurb work. I think they even pay shipping.

If I was buying a used one the first thing I'd do is get the serial number and look it up to see if it's still in warranty and how long. If there are issues -- who cares -- you can just get it fixed drat near free.

horchata
Oct 17, 2010
incase you guys were interested, steelcase seems to be having a chair sale on their online shop

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Just ordered a Steelcase Leap through work. 4 week countdown begins!

k\o\w
Sep 11, 2003

Cuz's Uptown Barbeque
Cabins & Resort
"This Is Hit!"
I want to order one of the fancy chairs at http://www.gabrielross.com/seating-10/task-chairs-107/

I'm sort of limited to an online shop, I haven't found any stores here for the fancy chairs that deal in individual sales.

I sometimes spend 16 hour days working in my computer chair and I have IBS which causes me to fart up a storm. I typically ruin a cheap office depot chair in under 2 months from the combination of farts and sweaty groin.

Given my situation, I figure I should stick to one of the mesh chairs like the aeron. Are there any other chairs that come recommended as fairly fart resistant?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I know a guy who has been farting in aeron chairs for several years to no adverse effects.

baby puzzle
Jun 3, 2011

I'll Sequence your Storm.
I just upgraded from a wooden kitchen chair to an Embody at home. This chair is awesome! The seat is extremely wide and feels very "roomy", while the back is very narrow and feels open and spacious. It is like the chair disappears while you are sitting in it. The steelcase Leaps in my office feel very confining in comparison. I got the "balance" fabric, which is really grippy compared to the slippery stuff on the Leaps.

Edit: I can make the seat as big as possible and sit cross-legged when I'm just chilling. This is so cool.

baby puzzle fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Feb 27, 2012

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

feld posted:

I'm sure this has been mentioned already, but those Herman Miller Aerons have 12 year warranties. We have a ton of them in the office that a customer gave us to pay off a debt and when anything breaks we just contact them and they send us a replacement part or have us send in half the drat chair for refurb work. I think they even pay shipping.

If I was buying a used one the first thing I'd do is get the serial number and look it up to see if it's still in warranty and how long. If there are issues -- who cares -- you can just get it fixed drat near free.

This is how I realized the Aeron was worth buying for me. I looked back and realized that I would spend $150 on a new crappy chair at Office Depot every 2 years since the cushion would go limp.

Over 12 years that's 6 $150 chairs I'd be buying for a total of $900, or one $750 chair that feels better to boot.

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame
I don't think there is a single spot in NJ where I can go sit in an Aeron or a Leap to see if I even like it, so I'm going to go to the closest Office Depot and pick something out. Never been to one of them before, is any chair in the store worth buying?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I bought a Realspace Calusa from Office Depot for about a hundred bucks (regular price claimed is 180). It's alright, I wanted a mesh backed chair because that's the main thing I like about the aeron. It's been comfortable enough sitting in so far, but I haven't done that too much as I don't have a desk yet. I got that instead of an Aeron because I simply don't have the money to buy an Aeron at the moment what with buying all kinds of other things for my apartment.

k\o\w
Sep 11, 2003

Cuz's Uptown Barbeque
Cabins & Resort
"This Is Hit!"
I got an aeron a few days ago and it's really making my back hurt and causing my rear end and thighs to fall asleep, maybe the size B is too small for my 6'1" 210lb goon frame.

Some poo poo you just can't buy online.

gently caress Herman Miller for pricing these at a point where no retail stores sell them!

k\o\w fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Feb 27, 2012

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

k\o\w posted:

I got an aeron a few days ago and it's really making my back hurt and causing my rear end and thighs to fall asleep, maybe the size B is too small for my 6'1" 210lb goon frame.

Some poo poo you just can't buy online.

gently caress Herman Miller for pricing these at a point where no retail stores sell them!

Yea, you should stop using this chair right away. See my post on the last page or two, I've got some nerve issue from using a Mirra that either isn't sized properly or something. I'm around 6'1" 235lb and found the Steelcase Criterion to be a great chair.

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame
So I picked up a Realspace Calusa today and I really like how it feels. Anyone else have this chair aside from that one goon a few posts ago? Do they take time to break in?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

ILikeVoltron posted:

Yea, you should stop using this chair right away. See my post on the last page or two, I've got some nerve issue from using a Mirra that either isn't sized properly or something. I'm around 6'1" 235lb and found the Steelcase Criterion to be a great chair.

This worries me. I'm 6'4" and fluxuate from between 230-280lb and I want to start saving for a chair that doesn't hurt my back/break constantly. What's out there for people who are genuinely large rather than corpulent midgets?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

This worries me. I'm 6'4" and fluxuate from between 230-280lb and I want to start saving for a chair that doesn't hurt my back/break constantly. What's out there for people who are genuinely large rather than corpulent midgets?
This one: http://www.ergocomfortwest.com/Office-Master/Paramount-Value/PTYM-TALL-(Yao-Ming)-p85.html

Made for people 6'4" and above, up to 300 lbs.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Steelcase makes large versions of their chairs. I used an Aeron size C for 5-6 years and are roughly the same size and had no issues.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Rotten Red Rod posted:

This one: http://www.ergocomfortwest.com/Office-Master/Paramount-Value/PTYM-TALL-(Yao-Ming)-p85.html

Made for people 6'4" and above, up to 300 lbs.

That one makes me laugh every time, they named it after Yao Ming but he's over the weight limit.

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame
If I'm getting lower left back pain after an hour of sitting in this thing, should I just take it back or does it take time to break in?

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

More drunk than a barrel of monkeys

k\o\w posted:

You probably have the seat bottom set too high, which is pulling down your legs down enough against the forward edge to cause circulation problems. Lower the chair a bit, maybe so if almost feels a bit too low, and see if you still have the same problem.

If the chair you bought is used, it could have a sagging seat bottom mesh, which would give you the symptoms you describe.

Your back problem is probably from having the lumbar adjusted too high on the back and/or too extended. Trying pulling it back and a bit lower.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Splizwarf posted:

That one makes me laugh every time, they named it after Yao Ming but he's over the weight limit.
Yeah, I agree. It's still a great chair for tall people, and you do have some leeway over the 300 lb limit, you're just technically breaking the warranty. I've been trying to get them to design one with a 350 lb limit at least.

get out posted:

If I'm getting lower left back pain after an hour of sitting in this thing, should I just take it back or does it take time to break in?
Is there any way to adjust the back height or lumbar strength? If you've tried every adjustment, and it's still not comfortable, get rid of it. There's no "breaking it it" with office chairs. If it's not capable of being adjusted to your body, and it's uncomfortable now, it will just get worse later.

EnergizerFellow posted:

You probably have the seat bottom set too high, which is pulling down your legs down enough against the forward edge to cause circulation problems. Lower the chair a bit, maybe so if almost feels a bit too low, and see if you still have the same problem.
Does the Aeron have a seat depth adjustment (seat slider)? If so, try messing with that. You should be able to fit 2 fingers in between your legs and the front of the seat, no more, no less.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Feb 28, 2012

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Is there any way to adjust the back height or lumbar strength? If you've tried every adjustment, and it's still not comfortable, get rid of it. There's no "breaking it it" with office chairs. If it's not capable of being adjusted to your body, and it's uncomfortable now, it will just get worse later.

Not that I can see. It's going back on Wednesday. I don't think mesh chairs are for me. There just isn't enough lower back support. Can anyone recommend another decent Office Depot chair? Maybe something similar to the Steelcase Leap?

epic Kingdom Hearts LP fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Feb 28, 2012

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
That's the only one I found remotely comfortable at a price I can afford right now. And mine has more lumbar support than any of the lovely flat backed chairs did in there. Just go sit in chairs they have. I think this one was rated for 3-5 hours which is the most I'd spend in it at a time anyways. If you need decent lumbar support, you'll have to bite the bullet and buy a more expensive chair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Sadly there's no real location for individual users to find and try out ergonomic chairs, other than maybe Relax the Back stores - and even they have a limited selection. I think your best bet is to look up furniture warehouses with a showroom that sells to the public, and try out chairs there until you find one you like. Don't expect the staff to help you at all however.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Feb 28, 2012