Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Luquos
Aug 9, 2009

how about we go back to my place and i conquer your world, if you know what i mean
It brings up the interesting point on whether being fired for something you said on Facebook is legal or not, provided you haven't added your boss as a friend. If the privacy settings are automatically public, couldn't one make a case that this was intended to be private, and have a case against the company for firing you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatStacking
Jan 9, 2010

~A Purely Preposterous Pussy~

Luquos posted:

It brings up the interesting point on whether being fired for something you said on Facebook is legal or not, provided you haven't added your boss as a friend. If the privacy settings are automatically public, couldn't one make a case that this was intended to be private, and have a case against the company for firing you?

Who knows anymore? Though, I'm sure within the next few years, we'll see more solid laws about that come into play.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Luquos posted:

Why risk it in the first place? You hear stories of people being fired for bullshit all the time. Facebook has been linked to people being fired a bazillion times.

Luquos
Aug 9, 2009

how about we go back to my place and i conquer your world, if you know what i mean

The General posted:

Why risk it in the first place? You hear stories of people being fired for bullshit all the time. Facebook has been linked to people being fired a bazillion times.

I wouldn't risk it one bit, just wondering what the opinion of the law is. Entirely hypothetical, and well, doing this is really loving stupid.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Luquos posted:

I wouldn't risk it one bit, just wondering what the opinion of the law is. Entirely hypothetical, and well, doing this is really loving stupid.

http://blogs.ajc.com/get-schooled-blog/2011/10/10/court-rules-against-ashley-payne-in-facebook-case/

This teacher posted "Crazy Bitch Bingo" and a picture of her with TWO alcoholic beverages in her hands and lost her job. Was intimidated into resigning, then legally hosed by the justice system :911:

edit:
http://blogs.ajc.com/get-schooled-blog/2009/11/13/barrow-teacher-done-in-by-anonymous-e-mail-with-perfect-punctuation/

quote:

To: Dr. Ron Saunders; Ken Greene

Sent: Aug. 27

Subject: Disappointed and worried about my daughter’s teacher

To whom it may concern,

My daughter is a pupil in one of Ms. Payne’s literature classes and friend of hers on the social networking site “Facebook.” Tonight, my daughter says to me casually, “Mom, I’m going to hang out with my bitches.” Shell shocked, I told her not to use profane language in my house ever again.

To make matters worse, my daughter laughs in my face, trying to comfort me by saying, “Mom, it’s ok! Ms. Payne calls her friends bitches! Then she comforts me more by proving to me via “Facebook” and sure enough, it is similar to what Ms. Payne had said in her status update, except hers exclaims: “Ashley Payne is at Bitch Bingo with her bitches.”

I’m standing over my daughter as she scrolls down the page thinking to myself, yes, Ms. Payne what an excellent way to teach my daughter the concept of alliteration!

Ms. Payne also has an unacceptable picture of herself smiling with alcohol for all her online friends to view. See attached.

I am repulsed by Ms. Payne’s profane use of language and how she conducts herself as an example to my teenage daughter. Her behavior is intolerable. I have a question to the Barrow County School System. Is it too hard for our educators to lack discipline online and offline?

I have chosen to remain anonymous regarding this matter for the sake of my daughter.

And that was that. :psyduck:

The General fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Feb 27, 2012

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?
^^^^
edit:
And this is why you're an idiot if you leave your poo poo public, especially if you're in a job like teaching where you're expected to be a role model. Again in the UK this would be hard for the school to get away with, but in the states...

People have been fired for Facebook shenanigans here in the UK, so I'd imagine you guys over in the states with your laws which tend to favour the employer are basically hosed.

Honestly, if you post something negative/derogatory about your job or employer and don't restrict the privacy of what you've posted then that's no different to posting it on any other public forum, except that you've been dumb enough to do it in a very identifiable way. You don't even need a social media policy for that one, most contracts include wording about not bashing the company. Obviously many companies do have a social media policy and violating it is no different to violating any other policy in terms of disciplinary procedures.

If you have restricted the privacy of your post but have co-workers within that privacy group and get called on it then you should probably consider who your real friends are. Maybe you shouldn't be friends with your managers. I'm not claiming to be a shining example here as I am Facebook friends with my manager, some other people on my manager's level and some of their managers. However, except for one guy who I've known since way before he got to management they're on a list which is locked down so tight that they could actually see more of my information if they de-friended me.

Getting disciplined for information which is available about you on Facebook but which isn't something you've actively done (e.g. relationship information, who you live with, who your other friends are) is extremely dodgy ground and would not fly in the UK at all, although clearly YMMV in the states. So far as I'm concerned if you go ranting about your job on Facebook without stopping to think about who might see it then you pretty much deserve what you get, but being pulled up for being friends with other co-workers or whatever is bullshit unless it's explicitly against a company policy.

Short answer:
Don't want Facebook interfering with your job? Don't be friends with people from your job on Facebook and set up your privacy settings properly so that your poo poo's not public. You've only got yourself to blame otherwise.

I'm not trying to defend corporate Facebook stalking, I'm just saying use some common sense.

rolleyes fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Feb 27, 2012

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

rolleyes posted:

Don't want Facebook interfering with your job? Don't be friends with people from your job on Facebook and set up your privacy settings properly so that your poo poo's not public. You've only got yourself to blame otherwise.

Several times Facebook has rolled out updates silently that made all your poo poo public. You would have no way of knowing unless you checked.

Christe Eleison
Feb 1, 2010

rolleyes posted:

Short answer:

I'm not trying to defend corporate Facebook stalking, I'm just saying use some common sense.

Agreed. Just tossed all my co-workers off my friends list last night and locked down my privacy settings even more tightly following this discussion. Just think: what amount of fear or money would cause one of these people to turn against me? The answer is usually less than you would hope.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

baquerd posted:

Several times Facebook has rolled out updates silently that made all your poo poo public. You would have no way of knowing unless you checked.

Do you have an example? I don't recall this happening at all. What do remember them doing is making stuff which was already public much easier to find, or saying "from now on when you post x it will be public unless you change your settings" but I can't remember them ever retroactively making private information public.

edit:
A great example of this is the new Timeline, which has no impact on privacy settings at all but makes old embarrassing photos incredibly visible to anyone willing to scroll down far enough.

rolleyes fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Feb 27, 2012

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

So, what the gently caress is with cigarette packages?

As a new(er) Cashier I just started doing the express lane which also handles tobacco purchases. I figured this would be fine and all and that it'd just be a matter of looking at labels. It turns out that it isn't. Here's how a transaction will go unless it's something really common like Marlboro reds "I'll take the Blahblah Lights 100 box" someone will say. I'll turn to the wall of cancer and begin my search. Usually if I take more than a second the customer will add the color. Of course this doesn't help much as there tend to be two to three of the same color product except you apparently only know the difference if you're a smoker and, judging by the rolling of eyes I've gotten a few times, i'm an idiot for not knowing.

Is the tobacco industry legally prohibited from adding this sort of stuff beyond color/size coding? The only text they'll have seems to be whether or not it's menthol.

Also, people who bag their own groceries are the coolest people because it means I don't have to lean down to the 3 foot tall counter and hurt my bag.

somethingawesomer
Nov 16, 2005

Testro posted:

You might get more mileage out of the fact that you feel the supervisor is negatively influencing the staff member - that the supervisor has a problem with you, and as she works together with the staff member everyday, she's encouraging her to be insubordinate etc to you. The company may be well aware that they're living together and may take actions off their own backs.

I definitely want to take the high road.
Thank you for all the responses. :D

somethingawesomer fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Mar 4, 2012

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

Sankis posted:

Is the tobacco industry legally prohibited from adding this sort of stuff beyond color/size coding? The only text they'll have seems to be whether or not it's menthol.
Yes, they are now. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Family_Smoking_Prevention_and_Tobacco_Control_Act

(Specifically, they can't say "light" or anything like that, which was the old differentiator. e.g. Marlboro Lights => Marlboro "Gold")

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical

The General posted:

http://blogs.ajc.com/get-schooled-blog/2011/10/10/court-rules-against-ashley-payne-in-facebook-case/

This teacher posted "Crazy Bitch Bingo" and a picture of her with TWO alcoholic beverages in her hands and lost her job. Was intimidated into resigning, then legally hosed by the justice system :911:

edit:
http://blogs.ajc.com/get-schooled-blog/2009/11/13/barrow-teacher-done-in-by-anonymous-e-mail-with-perfect-punctuation/

And that was that. :psyduck:

I used to live in GA, and almost every county has a morality clause in their teacher contracts. They can essentially be fired for anything if a parent complains about their "lifestyle". I once had a teacher ask me to pour her beer into a red plastic Coke cup so that anyone who saw her at this restaurant wouldn't know she was drinking alcohol (with dinner, the horror!) and get her fired.

Not that any complaints about crosses nailed up everywhere in math class went anywhere...

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

Bisty Q. posted:

Yes, they are now. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Family_Smoking_Prevention_and_Tobacco_Control_Act

(Specifically, they can't say "light" or anything like that, which was the old differentiator. e.g. Marlboro Lights => Marlboro "Gold")

The crap? I bought a couple packs of Basic Menthol Lights not two months ago and they very clearly said "Menthol Light" on the pack.

Is Basic breaking the law there?

D34THROW fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Feb 28, 2012

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Today I was talking with one of the head cashiers, just kinda bored about everything. Both of us realized something about the placement of out candy thing by the self-checkouts. Right under the heaters. So all of the chocolate is getting melted and then re-hardened, day after day. Bringing it up to manager only leads to "we can't move it, it's fine where it is", despite the old location last year being just fine, away from the heaters and not in the middle of everything. I guess since it is a Home Depot and people rarely buy candy it isn't a big deal, but it bugs me.

Trying working in a place where all the candy is stored in the backroom/receiving. In the summer time it can get around 85-105 on any given day. This lead to entire box of candy melted or in one case a entire pallet of candy was melted.

Also its small as hell. This means when truck days are the same day the pepsi and coke truck comes, pallets of soda will sit out side in the 110+ sun. Its amusing to see the 2 litters of coke suddenly start pop pop popping. Water gets hot enough that it is actually painful to touch.

Candles? Those scented wax cubes? All left in a dark trailer that can get over 120. All melted.

That was our thermometer completely capped before it busted later in the day.

So glad I will never have to work a trailer again.

Darth Freddy fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Feb 28, 2012

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Darth Freddy posted:

This means when truck days are the same day the pepsi and cock truck comes...

You meant 'coke', right? Surely, you did. There's no way you meant to say cock. :gonk:

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Rick_Hunter posted:

You meant 'coke', right? Surely, you did. There's no way you meant to say cock. :gonk:

wait til they start pop pop popping!

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.

Rick_Hunter posted:

Yea coke, wow I feel stupid.

trunkwontopen
Apr 7, 2007
I am a CARTOON BEAR!

Bisty Q. posted:

I never understood the change. When I used to smoke, every cashier in every store that I went to knew how to transcribe requests. Marlboro Lights? Oh, its this gold pack here. Full Flavored? Oh its this red pack up over here. I know they change it to make it less misleading, but we all know the risks when we smoke. It's stupid.

Anyways, not to derail; the Facebook thing. I think its possible for employers to make it part of a background check process, and possible use information discovered from Facebook to reprimand/terminate based on this being an "employment-at-will" state. Let's look at some examples:

I have a friend of mine in the ambulance business, that searches for applicant's Facebook pages. He did come across one person's FB page that contained many rants about commutes in morning traffic, not to mention belittling bad drivers in his town.

A friend of mine that is known for causing, and being included, into drama-filled shenanigans at her place of employment, has been suspended a few times here and there, oddly enough, after she bitches about said drama-filled shenanigans on FB.

...and at my job, a person was recently let go after an altercation with HR, after he came back from a six month stress leave, during which he updated his friends/family on FB about his two month vacation to London.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

trunkwontopen posted:

...and at my job, a person was recently let go after an altercation with HR, after he came back from a six month stress leave, during which he updated his friends/family on FB about his two month vacation to London.

Welp, that shows the difference between the states and some other places. What do you think someone on stress leave is supposed to do? They're not required to sit rocking in the corner all day for 6 months. One of the first pieces of advice doctors give to someone in that position (i.e. bad enough to be off work) is to get a change of scene as being physically away from the place where the problem is can be a big help - taking a holiday is a perfectly legitimate thing to be doing. If that was the in the UK the employee would probably have a case for unfair dismissal.

copy of a
Mar 13, 2010

by zen death robot
I had an interview with Complete Spirits today and I'm almost certain I have the job. They can't offer me as much as Pooblicks but they are giving me more hours. They even said they would offer me as many hours as possible if I considered quitting P. I still want to work a P to keep my dental benefits (also to supplement income and to have a backup plan), but if Complete Spirits can do good by me then I might just quit.
The personality assessment they gave me had some of the exact same questions on it that are on screenings for anxiety and depression that I've taken. I DO have severe depression and anxiety but that shouldn't stop me from getting a job. Or anyone. I think those assessments are stupid.

Robzor McFabulous
Jan 31, 2011

silversiren posted:

The personality assessment they gave me had some of the exact same questions on it that are on screenings for anxiety and depression that I've taken. I DO have severe depression and anxiety but that shouldn't stop me from getting a job. Or anyone. I think those assessments are stupid.

True, but if you end up having an anxiety attack in your first week and they find out you lied about it, that'll be instant termination right there I expect. You should probably be honest about it, tell them it's medicated and manageable or whatever.

Wootcannon
Jan 23, 2010

HAIL SATAN, PRINCE OF LIES

somethingawesomer posted:

Your colleague's living arrangements are irrelevant, and you are being incredibly goony by snooping about looking for evidence of their "fraternization". Get a grip, if the problem in the workplace cannot be solved by the documented incidents you have then it's either not nearly as big as you make out (insubordination? You're a supervisor in a shop, not Colonel Kwik-E-Mart) or you have crap management. Neither of these is reason to gently caress over a pair of 20-something's personal lives. You're coming on 30, for goodness' sake.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

After feeling like an imbecile and sub-human for the last seven years of my life, I am happy once again. Why you ask?

I got back into school. Just got an offer an hour ago to go to graduate school, pharmacology in particular. I would rather slave away at a lab bench doing something I like than to sling coffee across a counter to students who don't have enough respect to get off of their phones when they're ordering. Or screaming their order to me because I'm on a drive thru.

Starbucks was a decent job and I'm good at it but I can't wait to get back to school. :science:

Angry Guacamole
Dec 2, 2007

Oh God run away

Rick_Hunter posted:

Starbucks was a decent job and I'm good at it but I can't wait to get back to school. :science:

Run. Fly, you fool! Escape, lest they grab hold once more! Do what I cannot! Flee! (You lucky gently caress.)

Catsoup
Mar 4, 2009

Angry Guacamole posted:

Run. Fly, you fool! Escape, lest they grab hold once more! Do what I cannot! Flee! (You lucky gently caress.)
I would recommend heeding his advice. My friend lost all desire to go to school and is now working full time as a shift manager, I feel terrible for him (he's going on 6 years now).

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

Catsoup posted:

I would recommend heeding his advice. My friend lost all desire to go to school and is now working full time as a shift manager, I feel terrible for him (he's going on 6 years now).

It's kind of done the exact opposite. I don't want to advance in a company when I know I'm going to leave it, so I've stayed a barista my entire time. I just needed a little time (7 years...) to think about it. And there is no question if I had to make a choice today.

Let me be clear: I have an offer. I have it in my hand right now and can put a check mark in a box that says, "Yes, I will join your graduate program." It really isn't a question of if I want to go back to school. I am going back to school.

Happiest moment of my life to date.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Rick_Hunter posted:

After feeling like an imbecile and sub-human for the last seven years of my life, I am happy once again. Why you ask?

I got back into school. Just got an offer an hour ago to go to graduate school, pharmacology in particular. I would rather slave away at a lab bench doing something I like than to sling coffee across a counter to students who don't have enough respect to get off of their phones when they're ordering. Or screaming their order to me because I'm on a drive thru.

The same thing happened to me. It was the best decision I've ever made, leave retail never look back. Don't even pack everything just run as fast as you can away.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

Mmkay, I've lurked this thread a while, so I figured it's time for me to post my pet peeves.

I'm a cashier at a certain extremely-low-price store (where everything is less than $1.01, and I mean everything; no Dollar General or Family Dollar here) on the Treasure Coast (just east of Lake Okeechobee in Florida for those of you who don't know).

We get all classes of people in our store. Old farts who just want their snacks for the week, Hispanics (possibly illegals) looking to score some cheap toys to keep their kids entertained and cheap food to get them through the week, single mothers, teachers looking for cheap educational crap, et cetera. Oh, and the homeless guy that buys mouthwash 4 out of 7 days a week (ready to go blind there, pal?) and the other homeless guy who's always incredibly pleasant because he "woke up on the right side of the dirt."

Let's get a list going here...we'll start off with customers.
- People who watch me put my till in the drawer, come to my register with $6.36 worth of items, and get all belligerent when I can't break their $100 bill.

- People who pay with $100 bills on anything less than a $40 purchase.

- People who flash the money in their wallet on a $2 purchase, showing very clearly that they have singles, fives, tens, and twenties, then slap down a hundred.

- People who get pissed off when they bought $40 of stuff and try to use EBT but it only covers $12 worth.

- People who walk by and look right at the displays for reading glasses/sunglasses/batteries, then come up to me and ask where they are.

- People who refuse to take a balloon they want out of the corral because they "want a fresh one" even though the corral was filled not 20 minutes ago, thus making me hold up the whole goddamn line so they can have their PRECIOUS loving Happy Birthday balloon.

- Young people who come in in groups and ask "How much is this? How much is this? How much is that?" for the third time this week, even though every loving shelf says "Everything's $1" every 4 feet and there's "Everything's $1" signs every 12 feet on the store windows.

- People who let their kids run wild. We very nearly had an incident where a kid was running around with a light-up baton in his hand and decided it was a good time to run down the glassware aisle.

- Old people who pay in change and take a full minute to pick out $1.59 in quarters, dimes, and pennies. The line's 5 people long behind you and there's no other cashiers on, lady. GIVE ME THE SINGLE I CAN SEE IN YOUR drat WALLET.

- People who piss and moan that we don't take MasterCard. Get the gently caress over it. AmEx gave us a break on fees, MC didn't. Deal the gently caress with it.

- The standard "Oh, it's good, I just printed it" when I check a $50 or a $100 or the "Oh, it's not scanning, it must be free" when our old-rear end, Win98-running registers don't scan it the first or second times I swipe it.

- People who don't turn greeting cards over so that the barcode is facing out, wasting my time by making me turn over each one instead of just swiping them one by one.

- The "Double-bag everything" people. I've seriously had people ask me to double-bag a bag of potato chips or their greeting cards because they're on their bike. Our bags are lovely, but they're not that lovely.

- What I like to call the retail customer hivemind. My register's empty, I'm stocking batteries, and I look over at the cards and see, oh, five or six people standing there. Some have been in there for quite a while. Then one person walks over to my register and the rest of them follow. It happens, I know. But then 80% of the people left in the store descend on my register...and there's no one else on duty. I don't understand the goddamn hivemind that makes people do that. Are you shitheads waiting for someone to be a man and walk up to an empty the register?

- People who can't look at a loving register light. AM on duty asks me to, say, go stock the soda fridges. Okay, I turn my light off, B leaves her light on. Two people left in my line. Okay, I finish checking out person 1, then I look back and there's 2 more people. They don't even look at the light, they just run to where there's people in line whether or not that line is open. I should tell them, yes, but then I risk pissing somebody off and then they run to the AM on duty and bitch and citations and...eh.

- Scammers. A lady once brought back 7 of the Brunswick tuna salad meal boxes (they come with a can of tuna salad, some crackers, and a spoon to put the salad on the crackers) because they were expired. The expiration date on the bottom was 12/11 (December 2011). I politely told her that we couldn't possibly have been selling packages with that expiration date since December of 2010, since the packages on the shelves now expire in December 2013. I called a manager over since she demanded to see one, and the AM on duty took the return even though we were clearly getting scammed.

Then she was beating herself in the head about it later. Say no next time, L!

- People who can't read the back of the loving receipt. Our return policy clearly states that we can only do EXCHANGES, no returns. No cash back, no store credit, nothing else. Exchanges.

I've had people get belligerent to myself and my managers, then be extremely pissed-off when they bring back 5 food items (untaxed) and attempt to exchange them for 5 non-food (taxed) items. Sir, I need another 30 cents. Nope, can't do it. Last time that happened, the AM on duty actually told him to leave, taking his food with him, punching $0.30 into my register, and leaving me short 30 cents, telling me to make it up.

- Assistant managers who were never taught the value of standardized procedure. I have three assistant managers, A, L, and S. A and S were trained by previous store manager J. L was a store manager elsewhere until she told the DM to shove his job up his rear end, and he relocated her to this store and demoted her.

A has a lackluster approach to management. He gives us his register codes to save time and has the most efficient way of doing a Z-read. But he really doesn't give a poo poo about the AM job. Just an extra $2 an hour.

L doesn't care what the store manager says about certain things, like how to scan/punch in balloons (every balloon is marked with a 3-digit number that corresponds to the SKU; we can punch in the SKU or we can scan it, and it's always faster to punch in the SKU); she demands we scan them even though the store manager says to punch in the SKU. She also prefers that everyone do things her way (i.e. counting money at the end of a shift) and will often tell a customer in no simple terms to piss off.

S is very...ah...demanding. Take today for an example. We had two cashiers, myself and E. S asked me to recover (i.e. condense and block) everything in the register areas in preparation for inventory on Sunday, while she asked E to go and shop the store (i.e. pull crap off the shelves that customers left lying around) and recover the store. This leaves me the only person at the register UNLESS I get more than 3 customers in my line...which never happens. So after I get done with a dozen people or so, I get about 2 minutes to work on recovering, after which I deal with another dozen. Given, this only takes about 7 or 8 minutes, but when I get asked to stay late because I couldn't do what I was asked to because S can't loving manage what she asks people do do. gently caress no, I'm not staying late because of your fuckup. She always has us trying to do 10 things at once and there's never enough hours on our shift to do it all.

- Our cash-counting machine in the office. Simple enough. Weigh coin trays one at a time, then the rolls of coin, then the bills, one denomination at a time. Sounds good, right?

Wrong. This loving dinosaur can't count right. Last night, I was cashing out and it showed me about $.50 short. Okay, we'll count it again. Now I'm $.10 cents over. Okay, count again. Right on the money. We call it at that.

Then while the AM on duty is putting my cash-out amount in the computer, I start counting the till to make sure it's at $75 for the next day. First try, it comes out a penny over, so I take out a penny. Second try, it comes up a penny short. I don't know why it has the problem it does, but we need a new everything.

- Our registers. Our registers run Windows 98. And they're slow. I enter my numbers to sign in, it takes a full 10 seconds for the register to go from idle mode to ready-to-scan mode. I hit the total button, it takes a good two seconds to pop up the "Select Tender" box. I hit cash, enter the total tender, and hit Enter and it takes a second or two to pop the drawer open. More than long enough to do the calculation in my head. Never mind when it takes a full minute to complete the transaction and clear the screen for the next transaction after I close the drawer.

- Our district manager, RL. The shrimpy little gently caress gives me the willies, and he's a power-hungry poo poo too. He used to have two stores under his belt: Tequesta and Stuart. Now DT built two MORE stores in his district, another in Stuart and one in Hobe Sound. He also criticizes everything and everyone, like if an aisle isn't perfectly recovered at all times.

- The way DT runs things. We used to have two stores in this area, Stuart and Tequesta, as I said. That's what we knew the stores by. We had X amount of business in the area, call it 100% of business between the two stores, 50% and 50%.

Then in the space of two months, DT opened two MORE stores in the area, the Hobe Sound and East Ocean stores. We probably have about 110% of the business we did before, so the two original stores are barely doing half of what they used to because the new stores sucked away customers.

DT is now running 4 stores on pretty much the same customer base they did on 2 stores. And we're cutting hours badly because of it; us part-timers (only the store managers and the good AMs get full-time work) are getting cut from MAYBE 23 hours a week to MAYBE 15.

- AMs who don't stick to loving policy. I've been told time and time again by L that we need a receipt for returns. Okay, that's fine. I ask people for a receipt when they try to exchange something and they don't have it, then they go see a manager (specifically S) who says "No, it's fine, you don't need a receipt." Make me look like an idiot in front of the customer, why don't you? Make me have to apologize for taking the position of COMPANY POLICY.

- Double standards. I'm a smoker, and one of the things I always do on my break is have a cigarette or two. Most of us who work there smoke and we do it on our break.

But the store manager? HE gets to go outside any loving time he wants for a cigarette. He's working a 10-hour shift and he gets 3 10-minute breaks and a 30-minute lunch. Motherfucker, you can wait like the rest of us.

I have yet to bitch about it to anyone, but I might...I just might.

- The lack of training. My first day of work, I came in at 8, right at opening. The store was dead, so my first job was stocking toys with S and another cashier who was quitting, T. I wasn't officially trained on how to stock, just told to put X in position Y and make sure the pegs above it were filled. Easy enough.

Then the customers start coming in. T doesn't even walk me through the transaction, just tells me to hit the total button when everything's scanned and hit cash, check, or bank card for what the customer pays with. I have no loving idea what I'm doing and it's obvious to anyone with half a brain. Processing my first credit card, my first debit card, and my first check confused the hell out of me. I had to be shown how to run a check twice before I actually realized what the hell I was supposed to do.

I was also never given an associate handbook, and S tends to pull poo poo out of the associate handbook all the time. "No food or drink or cell phones at the register, it's right in the handbook."

Never got a handbook and why don't you say that to the other 5 cashiers that always have something to drink and something to snack on and text people in between customers? gently caress you and your double standards. I hope I take your job one day, you stupid bitch.

- Working a shift where I close. Usually, closing staff is an assistant manager, a stocker, and a cashier. It is the cashier's responsibility to, in the hour between closing and when we leave, empty the garbage cans, vacuum the store, and recover the store. The first two can usually be mostly finished before closing, because they're easy. Recovery always takes at least an hour and a half, even with two people, because even though the store isn't big, they want everything done right and that takes time.

And now for my favorite of stories that happened yesterday...

I'm sitting at my register when this Indian dude comes up with a full cart and another cart behind it with 7 gallons of bleach. Okay, fine, Indian dudes are usually cool. Then he slaps down a tax-exemption certificate and I just know the fun is going to start. (Little side note: The certificate was for a local Sunoco station. How the hell does a gas station get a tax-exemption certificate?)

I don't have any of the forms under my register, so I ask L to see if she can find one in the office. Nope, so while I'm scanning these 80 items, she prints out a few and brings 'em back. Dude fills out the form and I hit the tax-exempt button and punch in his certificate number, then wait for this old-rear end computer to take off the tax. Brings the total down to a nice, round $80. Then he tries to hand me cash.

Nope, can't do it. I need a company credit card or a company check. He pulls out his personal credit card and I take a good look at it. Sorry, sir, I need a company credit card or a company check. It has to say the company name on it, Sunoco in your case. He starts to bitch about how he's used cash before, and I think he broke into Hindi a few times during this rant.

We go back and forth about this a few times before he asks for a manager, so I call L over. We can't re-tax everything, so we have to complete and void the whole transaction, then I have to scan everything AGAIN. Another 80 times I swipe poo poo. He pays me $100 in twenties, I give him his change, and he leaves.

Wanna know what he was saving with his little tax-exempt status if he had done it right? Four dollars and two loving cents. His pre-tax total was $84.02. You cheap-rear end motherfucker, if you're going to resell the poo poo, you can make it up with markup. (I think that's what he was doing, because the tax-exemption certificate said something about not using it for personal use, only for non-profit or reselling purposes).

TL;DR - Don't work at Dollar Tree. Ever. EVER.

EDIT: Our store manager also has a tendency to gently caress with our schedules without telling us. For example, I'm scheduled to work, say 9 AM to 1 PM one day. Pretty standard shift for a cashier. Then at 1, I call for the AM to take me down and cash me out, but I'm informed that no, the schedule has you working until 2. Was I informed of this? No. But guess what? It's on the schedule (handwritten on a computer printout that has "9:00 AM to 1:00 PM" crossed out and "9-2" written underneath it, so I can't say no, even though I was never told about this. There go my plans for the evening if I don't want to get canned.

EDIT 2: I can't believe I forgot how much it royally pisses me off when I go to recover the store and find poo poo tossed literally 3 feet from where it belongs. Really, lady? You put those red party cups on top of the blue party plates even though the section of red party stuff is 3 feet away? You lazy loving twat.

Also when people can't at least try not to mix poo poo up. We have a section of dog food with beef chunks and dog food with chicken chunks. Please try to keep them separate so I don't have to waste 5 minutes separating them when I could be blocking the rest of the aisle.

D34THROW fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Mar 3, 2012

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
I'm only halfway through the thread 'cause I just found it again, but I had to post. I have been working at a certain department store with a large red star in the logo for a year and a half, since I got fired from a job I actually liked, over a stupid gently caress-up. When I started (as temporary holiday help) I was all smiles and light and "Customers aren't so bad!"... 17 months later I'm just about broken.

Let's see... I have loads of stories, but one of my worst comes from my time as “flex team” (basically contingency, the same thing Megera did at the start of the thread) in the cosmetics department. I got hired as flex team after the holidays despite the manager telling me that she was going to find a place for me... in the interview she mentioned I could stay on as a part-timer after the holidays if I was interested, and in January it was "we'll see when we get to the new year (which starts in February)" and in February it was "We're in a hiring freeze until the last week of the month", and then "I've got something for you but I need to see if it pans out"... and you see where this is going. I didn't get part-time in Fragrances till October last year, a full year after they hired me for holiday temp, and that entire first year of work doesn't even count - my one-year "anniversary" with the store is supposed to be next October! :suicide:

So anyway: midsummer last year I was on Flex team, and I was alone covering our biggest and busiest cosmetics bay – we're talking a counter that does easily $1.5m in sales every year, and has a regular coverage of 3-4 fully trained consultants. This is the last counter you want to handle by yourself, but everyone else was either scheduled off or was at 'school' (full-day paid training yay!). I was handling it ok but a few customers wanted makeovers, which is really hard when you are trying to juggle walk-up sales at the same time and have no backup. I had to send one woman away for a while because I was already doing a consultation with another one who was taking FOREVER to decide things, thankfully she was really patient and wanted to get some advice so she came back 45 minutes later as I was finishing up customer #1. I got her started with lots of apologies, and she seemed understanding. I'm showing her some pretty blush colors when a middle-aged woman :btroll: walks up with her adult daughter.

:blush: Excuse me, first customer.
:blush: Hi, welcome to <counter>, I'll be with you as soon as I can! (I turn back to my consultation and figure they'll wait).
:btroll: We're here for our 1pm appointment with <counter manager name>. (Counter manager was in class with the rest of them that day!)

poo poo. I scramble for the appointment book, realize she is scheduled and that I screwed up by not checking said book when I started my shift, and start screaming inside.

:blush: Oh, uh, she should have called you to reschedule because they're all in training, but I'd be happy to help you out... It will be a wait however.
:btroll: How long do you think it'll take? Because this is for my daughter's WEDDING CONSULTATION and we made an appointment! (She glares at my other customer as she says this)
:blush: I'm the only one here and this woman has been waiting patiently for an hour now... I can't sit you down right now. It's going to be at least half an hour, have any other shopping to do, or I'd understand if you want to resched-
:supaburn: UGH NO WE DROVE AN HOUR TO GET HERE WE HAVE NOTHING ELSE TO DO WE HAD AN APPOINTMENT YOU MUST SERVE US FIRST THERE IS NO EXCUSE FOR THIS IT IS AN OUTRAGE GIVE ME THE NUMBER OF THE PERSON IN CHARGE!!!11ONE!!
:blush: Sure, ok, of course, I understand that you're frustrated and this never should have happened, let me get that number for you... (trying very hard to be polite still)
At this point my very patient customer, who's been sitting in the chair looking more and more uncomfortable, decides she's going to play with the makeup herself. She goes about putting blush on and checking the mirror while I scramble to salvage the counter manager's blown-off appointment.
:btroll: continues venting at me, attacking me, telling me this is horrible customer service and that I'm doing a terrible job and that I'm unprofessional and that she's going to complain and has my name, that she is a paying customer who would have spent a lot of money with us, etc. Pure venom and rage over a mistake that admittedly should not have happened (but would it have killed her to browse our gigantic destination mall for a few minutes instead?)

I finally get the account coordinator's cell phone number (because it's the only thing I can find in the binder that's supposed to have everyone's contact info) and write it down on a business card for her and hand it over, visibly shaken up, while she delivers a final blast about how she's definitely not coming back now, and my other customer just stands there watching all of this in silence.

Finally :btroll: stomps off into the mall (she didn't come from that way) with her poor daughter (who barely said anything the whole time), and as I'm trying to apologize to my original customer she says “you know, I'll just come back another day.” So not only did I get blamed for loving up an appointment, but I lost another sale anyway.

I was utterly crushed that I couldn't resolve her issue and also terrified that she was going to get me fired. I was physically shaking and didn't want to deal with anyone else so I ran for my lunch break and called the counter manager to explain everything (I would never have expected her to mess anything up; she is awesome and very levelheaded). I warned her that bitchlady would probably call the boss, and she said “It's ok, you did the best you could and thanks for calling to tell me, but I made the mistake and I'll take the fallout. You enjoy your lunch.”. :unsmith:
(She actually somehow managed to get the lady to bring her daughter back in, sold them a bunch of stuff and smoothed everything over. I still don't know how!)

I think that still counts as the worst loving day ever in my retail life. I guess I've had it relatively easy so far... no threats of violence or anything, although I also had a customer once tell me (over the phone) that she bet I didn't even have a high school diploma and that she was sick of high-school dropouts working at her favorite cosmetics counter. I politely disagreed (“I'm sorry you feel that way but I have a college degree, m'am”) and hung up on her.

Now that I'm off flex team I'm more worried about my manager and my manager's boss than the customers... their latest decree is that we not only have to sell a certain number of Chanel fragrances every day, we also have to be in the aisles, “everyday, all day” according to the paper she just handed us... demonstrating the new Art of Shaving products on people's hands. Because our sales are low and clearly, it's not because the entire store's sales are lower than expected or because customers didn't want fragrances for valentine's day this year or because the economy still sucks. No, it's because Fae isn't in the aisle demonstrating this amazing shaving product which is also available at a store in our mall!
:smithicide:

I have been actively job hunting since Christmas... I applied to two jobs at the local branch of the city library but got no response yet. I did get an automated call back from Home Depot's Hiring Center, telling me to call it back... I applied there as a garden sales associate, because I like to garden and thought it would be marginally more pleasant (or at least less soul-crushing?) than where I am currently! I have tomorrow off, so I'm going to call back and hopefully get an interview... :ohdear:

Faerunner fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Mar 2, 2012

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

Faerunner posted:

:btroll:

...I applied to two jobs at the local branch of the city library...

You get paid to work at the library where you are? It's all volunteers where I'm from and I thought it was only ever volunteers anywhere.

And thankfully, at least in my experience, most people aren't like that, and a good record will tip the scales in your favor. I figure even if she had called the boss to bitch and it went somewhere, if you were good at handling customers and doing your job, the most you would have gotten is a citation. I also applaud your ability to maintain a level head, because I know how hard it can be to keep a calm tone of voice when the customer is freaking the crap out.

D34THROW fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Mar 2, 2012

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

D34THROW posted:

You get paid to work at the library where you are? It's all volunteers where I'm from and I thought it was only ever volunteers anywhere.
I used to work for the city library. Its a majority of volunteers for lower level positions like pages, but a few part-timers for those positions as well in case volunteers just dont feel like showing up. What it lacks in lovely customers, it makes up for in psychotic office politics. And it doesnt really lack in lovely customers, either :toot:

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

Welp, there goes the possibility of trying to get a second job there...I volunteered at a used bookstore run by our local library system for a volunteer-hours-and-GPA-based scholarship before and I was a library aide in high school, so I pretty much know how to work a library, but psychotic office politics? No thanks, see long-winded rant for why.

Pornographic Memory
Dec 17, 2008

D34THROW posted:

- Double standards. I'm a smoker, and one of the things I always do on my break is have a cigarette or two. Most of us who work there smoke and we do it on our break.

But the store manager? HE gets to go outside any loving time he wants for a cigarette. He's working a 10-hour shift and he gets 3 10-minute breaks and a 30-minute lunch. Motherfucker, you can wait like the rest of us.

I have yet to bitch about it to anyone, but I might...I just might.

Haha, this reminds me of the place I work. Officially, breaks go like this: 4 hour shift, 15 minutes, 6 hours, 20 minutes, and 8 hours, 2x15 min (and of course nobody gets over 8 hours because that would mean we get overtime, shock horror). In most departments I assume everybody actually adheres to this (maybe not I don't know), but in the bakery the manager and assistant manager (also the only two day time bakers) it's more like 15 minutes on smoke break for every hour or two they work. Considering they both pretty consistently work six days a week I kind of can't blame them for taking all the down time they can get, but drat I have no idea how they get away with it.

Funnily enough, the manager actually told me the entire reason he took up smoking was because when he was but a wee bakery grunt himself, HIS boss and another dude would always be loving off on unofficial smoke breaks of their own, so he was like "gently caress I'm a chump only taking my official breaks, I want in on that."

Personally I don't think I'd need to take up smoking for more break time - I haven't actually clocked out for my breaks in almost two years, and nobody's ever said anything about that, and my manager is chill enough he probably wouldn't care if I gave myself an extra five minutes, but I'm too rule abiding. :ohdear: Except when it comes to punching out for breaks I guess.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

D34THROW posted:

words
So why is it such a crime that people want the convenince of breaking a bill or using up change? You seem really gungho about rules and policy so maybe you should try to make it into a policy or something? Like those gas stations that refuse 100 dollar bills altogether.

miryei
Oct 11, 2011

Zo posted:

So why is it such a crime that people want the convenince of breaking a bill or using up change? You seem really gungho about rules and policy so maybe you should try to make it into a policy or something? Like those gas stations that refuse 100 dollar bills altogether.

Banks make change for large bills. Cashiers make change for purchases. When someone pays for a $2 purchase with a hundred dollar bill, the cashier's drawer is now a hundred dollar bill and some coins or something, and stays that way til he can get a manager over to swap it out, which can take a while. Especially at a place that does low-value transactions like a dollar store, buying 1-2 things and trying to break a hundred, when you can pay with smaller bills, is just being a dick.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

Zo posted:

When they do it when they saw that I JUST put my till in, I'm thinking it's deliberate. When they do it when they have plenty of other cash in their wallet, I feel like it's flaunting their money. Even worse when I tell them I can't break it yet and they get pissy and leave their purchases. Takes me at least half an hour of solid transactions to build up to the point where I can break a hundred.

The using up change thing I don't mind as long as it doesn't hold up a line. When it's holding up the line because you feel like paying in pennies, it crosses the line from convenient to rude. Sure, I could make it go a little quicker by not double-checking the customer's count and my count, but I absolutely hate any variance whatsoever in my till at the end of the day.

And making it a policy not to accept large bills under a certain minimum purchase...that's...that's a good idea. I should definitely talk to someone about that. Thanks for the idea :)

EDIT: Suppose I should add a bright spot to my day. Sometimes, people accidentally give me foreign currency. Panamanian quarter here, Canadian penny there. Actually had a 2-cent piece from Spain the other day. I like to collect foreign currency, so my collection has actually grown quite a bit since I've been there. Yay, snowbirds and managers who say gently caress it, take the foreign stuff, it's useless anyway.

D34THROW fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Mar 2, 2012

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

The hundred dollar bill thing can be annoying with a fresh till or on a weekend when there is little to no tens in the safe. After that though it just becomes kind of annoying but not to huge of a deal. I just don't understand why get 100s when you cash your check when you have to break it latter.

As for change? I love change give me all the change you have. I get payed by the hour.

As for a bitch. I'm working in a gas station/convince store that opened on july 1 last year. It still looks brand new. This is because we have to clean it ever hour, spot clean, mop, sweep. Hell I think the bathrooms are cleaner there then some microchip factories.

We have out of town and out of state people who always stop by there because of how clean its kept.

The problem? I live in West Texas. You want the weather for tomorrow? Windy and dusty. Want the forecast for the month? Windy and dusty.

This is one of the dust storms that rolled through last year. I had the pleasure of driving a forklift in this, when I came inside I was no longer white.

One a bit heavier then this rolled through town today and it was just right that it would suck the doors open even after locking one of them. The entire store was covered in a fine layer of dirt.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

Oh, Jesus, that would drive me insane. I've been on a cleaning crusade around the registers the past couple of days. Bottle of our best cleaner short of Mean Green and a roll of paper towels. Every counter, every register, every card-swiping machine, every scanning area, every receipt printer, as spotless as I can get it now. They were so dirty it was disgusting.

A fine layer of dust everywhere would make me tear my hair out in anger, then try and find someone else to cover the register while I cleaned frantically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

Zo posted:

We actively refuse bills larger than $20s (and have a sign that declares as much) because the register just doesn't have enough cash in it to deal with $100 bills (unless their order is over $100, so we can deposit it right away). But despite the sign, we still get people who want to give us large bills and expect us to handle it. We just don't make that kind of cash in a day!

EDIT: Dust Storms: They're doing construction on the road in front of our store (eventually widening/adding curbs/adding sidewalks). Which has hosed with our business as it is, but is also stirring up huge amounts of dust that keep blowing in. When it's all done it'll be awesome, but this poo poo has been going on since August of last year. Thanks a lot, guys.

vortmax fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Mar 2, 2012