Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Bioshuffle posted:

Santa, those shots are fantastic! Did you have to lower the camera to waist level to avoid the "dwarf leg" effect?

Thanks. Not really because I was far away, using the 85mm. In some cases I was taller than the person so I just half crouched to get them right in the frame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mathturbator
Oct 12, 2004
Funny original quote
This guy, a doctor, came to my studio for a portrait. He enjoyed it so much I ended up shooting his entire family.

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Happy Happy Breakdance Challenge 4

Santa is strapped posted:

Some people that I shot a while back and I just got around to processing them.

This is my favourite. I just ordered the 85mm and seeing these has made me even more excited, and let me tell you, I was already really frigging excited. Woop!

Mathturbator posted:

This guy, a doctor, came to my studio for a portrait. He enjoyed it so much I ended up shooting his entire family.

:smug:

Loads of character in this, I like it. How did the other shots of the family turn out?

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Gazmachine posted:

This is my favourite. I just ordered the 85mm and seeing these has made me even more excited, and let me tell you, I was already really frigging excited. Woop!

That's awesome, which one are you getting? I have the f1.8 and I love using it, it's by far my favourite our of my lenses.

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
Prepare for doom. doom. doooooom. doooooom.

Mathturbator posted:

..enjoyed it so much I ended up shooting his entire family.

Out of context, this is why photographers have to be careful talking within earshot of people that don't know you're talking about photography. ;D

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
What is the forum that hooks up photographers with models? (I think people were talking about something like that earlier in this thread)

I'd like to shoot some real models and my wife would like to be shot by a real photographer.

Thanks!

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred

dexter6 posted:

What is the forum that hooks up photographers with models? (I think people were talking about something like that earlier in this thread)

I'd like to shoot some real models and my wife would like to be shot by a real photographer.

Thanks!

Model Mayhem? Though the quality there varies wildly.

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

ERRYDAY I BE SPLIT-TONING! Honestly, its the only skill I got other than shooting the back of women and calling it "Editorial".

IMG_9440 by avoyer, on Flickr

Cold day but with a male model, woohoo!

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

ERRYDAY I BE SPLIT-TONING! Honestly, its the only skill I got other than shooting the back of women and calling it "Editorial".

Oh my god, those are _great_

Looks like Mannequin found a match

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.

xenilk posted:

IMG_9440 by avoyer, on Flickr

Cold day but with a male model, woohoo!

I really like this one. I liked the toned down processing too - bit different from your usual stuff, but nice to see you can do minimal processing too!

Part of me wishes there was a touch more contrast, but the other part of me likes it just the way it is.

brandino
Apr 15, 2002

Hope this isn't too big, but it's a collage so fuckit. This was a photo shoot for my friend's handmade jewelry store. And having shot on medium format film for the last year, it felt GREAT to shoot digital. SO PAINLESS. AND AUTOFOCUS!!

Rasbarri Handmade Jewelry, Collage by bjsmith1984, on Flickr

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

That bottom centre one is fantastic.

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

Screw what aliencowboy says (tee-hee) I think they're all fantastic! Great collage. :)

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

I had a busy, interesting weekend.

A while ago, I did a shoot for a band getting ready to go on tour. Just after I finished editing up their pictures, I got a call back that their drummer couldn't get off work for that month or whatever, so they had a new guy and needed a new shoot. Good guys, so I gave them a discounted rate. I got another call this weekend, and told them to just come over and we'll bang out whatever we can in an hour or so. Got a lot of good group shots, but their individual portraits were just... well...

Then yesterday, we visited three local bars with a van full of models and hair/makeup artists to get shots for a beer club. There are worse ways to spend a Sunday.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

bisticles posted:

Then yesterday, we visited three local bars with a van full of models and hair/makeup artists to get shots for a beer club. There are worse ways to spend a Sunday.

I like the pictures, but those don't look much like beers to me. :colbert:

\/\/\/ Much better. Let me guess, a nice blonde?

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Feb 27, 2012

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

big scary monsters posted:

I like the pictures, but those don't look much like beers to me. :colbert:

You got me... better?

big scary monsters posted:

Much better. Let me guess, a nice blonde?

The model, yes. The beer was probably an IPA, though, 'cause that's how we roll.

an AOL chatroom fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Feb 27, 2012

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred
Take a couple of steps back, use a longer lens (barrel distortion and pretty girls makes me sad) For the last one (blondie), provided that light is on a stand and remote triggered, move it upstage from the subject, the first image has this right, the second she has a fairly bright fill on the upside of her face anyway.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

xenilk posted:

Oh my god, those are _great_

Looks like Mannequin found a match

Thank you! I don't think I'm at mannequin level yet though haha. Where has he been lately anyway?

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

XTimmy posted:

Take a couple of steps back, use a longer lens (barrel distortion and pretty girls makes me sad) For the last one (blondie), provided that light is on a stand and remote triggered, move it upstage from the subject, the first image has this right, the second she has a fairly bright fill on the upside of her face anyway.

Thanks. I'm always fighting to keep my focal length long, but I'm on a crop body, and and some of the places were pretty tight. Definitely something I need to kind in mind, though.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

brandino posted:

Hope this isn't too big, but it's a collage so fuckit. This was a photo shoot for my friend's handmade jewelry store. And having shot on medium format film for the last year, it felt GREAT to shoot digital. SO PAINLESS. AND AUTOFOCUS!!

Rasbarri Handmade Jewelry, Collage by bjsmith1984, on Flickr

This is a great collection. I understand the photo shoot was for the jewelry, but I kind of feel like the bottom left jewelry shot is out of place. The bottom right and even top left show off jewelry, but the jewelry is definitely a second subject to the girls shown and easily looked over. The photos as themselves are great though.

These are all fantastic. I love them.

Falco fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Feb 28, 2012

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last
And double post whoops.

Falco fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Feb 28, 2012

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

Thank you! I don't think I'm at mannequin level yet though haha. Where has he been lately anyway?

For the newbies (like myself) could you possibly talk us through what goes on when you meet them? Do you pose them? Do you move them to a better location? Does it all depend on the circumstance and location? Give us the insider scoop!

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Falco posted:

These are all fantastic. I love them.

Thanks. The more I look at them the more I wish I had framed all the people the same way, not too far not too close. Oh well.

brandino
Apr 15, 2002

Falco posted:

This is a great collection. I understand the photo shoot was for the jewelry, but I kind of feel like the bottom left jewelry shot is out of place. The bottom right and even top left show off jewelry, but the jewelry is definitely a second subject to the girls shown and easily looked over. The photos as themselves are great though.

Word, thanks for the feedback. I see what you mean and agree with the placement of the bottom left one. Fortunately I did get a lot of other pictures that better highlight the actual jewelry.. I guess the collage was more for my personal favorite "photo for photo's sake". Here are a handful of others that have the jewelry in them more prominently:

brandino fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Feb 28, 2012

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Bioshuffle posted:

For the newbies (like myself) could you possibly talk us through what goes on when you meet them? Do you pose them? Do you move them to a better location? Does it all depend on the circumstance and location? Give us the insider scoop!

I was just walking around the streets and I was lucky because I had my gf with me. So when I approached the people they weren't freaked out or anything. I went up to them and just asked if I could take their photo. Most said yes.
I didn't pose them but if they were standing at a weird place I'd tell them to move a little bit to where looks better. I took 2-3 shots said thanks and moved on.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

brandino posted:

This one is fantastic as a portrait itself, but it might be too understated to work for a jewelry product shot.

Remo
Oct 10, 2007

I wish this would go on forever
brandino and Santa is strapped, I really like those pics you've posted!

My contribution - Koreans apparently know how to defy gravity

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure Part 6: Stone Ocean - Jolyne Kujo feat. Eki Holic by CorneliusK, on Flickr

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

red19fire posted:

This one is fantastic as a portrait itself, but it might be too understated to work for a jewelry product shot.

Great critique and agreed. Stunning portrait tho.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

brandino posted:

Jewelry Photos

I like the portraits and the continuity of style between all of them, but I think as product photos for jewelry some of them fail really hard... you're just way too far back from the product to the point where it's barely visible in some of the photos.

I think you need to approach the photos in a way that your goal is to make the jewelry the first thing a viewer notices- without having to tell them what the point of the photo actually is.

Clown
Mar 4, 2004
Rent this space!
I just bought some strobist kit to get me started. I’ve wanted this stuff since I did a photography course in Bristol and had a model to aim at.

2 x Stands
2 x black/white/silver umbrellas
2 x umbrella clamps
Canon 430EX-II
Yongnuo YN460-II
Yongnuo RF-602 wireless flash remotes
32 Duracell AA + AAA batteries

You might see more than just street shots from me now! It's going to be fun learning this poo poo.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Clown posted:

I just bought some strobist kit to get me started. I’ve wanted this stuff since I did a photography course in Bristol and had a model to aim at.

2 x Stands
2 x black/white/silver umbrellas
2 x umbrella clamps
Canon 430EX-II
Yongnuo YN460-II
32 Duracell AA + AAA batteries

You might see more than just street shots from me now! It's going to be fun learning this poo poo.

I would recommend getting rechargeable AA and AAA batteries and a good charger. More expensive from the outset, but the batteries can be reused over and over, and it's greener.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Clown posted:

Canon 430EX-II
Yongnuo YN460-II

Cool stuff. The Canon 430EX and the Yongnuo YN460 are very good on-camera TTL flashes. What camera body are you using? You may be able to trigger your 430EX as an ETTL wireless slave for some creative off-camera flash if it supports it through the pop-up flash.

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

bisticles posted:

Cool stuff. The Canon 430EX and the Yongnuo YN460 are very good on-camera TTL flashes. What camera body are you using? You may be able to trigger your 430EX as an ETTL wireless slave for some creative off-camera flash if it supports it through the pop-up flash.

Isn't ETTL as of flash basically a big no no? Simply because it's not consistent and when using umbrellas/softbox E-TTL will go all over the place since it doesn't know what the hell is going on.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

xenilk posted:

Isn't ETTL as of flash basically a big no no? Simply because it's not consistent and when using umbrellas/softbox E-TTL will go all over the place since it doesn't know what the hell is going on.

Nope, it's all good. A TTL system figures out the correct exposure based on light coming in Through The Lens, not what the flash itself sees. If I have a single bare speedlite pointed at a subject, it will fire however long it needs to create a "correct" exposure. If I back that light up five feet and put a bounced umbrella on it, now it's still going to create a correct exposure, compensating for the light loss.

an AOL chatroom fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Feb 28, 2012

Clown
Mar 4, 2004
Rent this space!
I have a Canon 550D which doesn't support it anyway :(
I'm just waiting on the remotes and the umbrella clamps now.

I had a quick test after work -

Had the 430EX-II on top of the camera with the YN460 behind pointed at a white textured wall. Yup, I paid £400 quid to take passport pictures...

I'll play around when I have more time.

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

Clown posted:

I had a quick test after work -

Had the 430EX-II on top of the camera with the YN460 behind pointed at a white textured wall. Yup, I paid £400 quid to take passport pictures...

I'll play around when I have more time.

It'll be night and day once you play with off camera flash only. The light from the top of the camera, even if you use a diffuser thingy, is still a small and concentrated light source... diffusing it with an umbrella opens up a whole new world.

Have fun playing with it, I know I'm having a blast :)

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008
That's my purse! I don't know you!

Clown posted:

Go to a camera store and pick up a $5 pc sync cord!!!!!

Clown
Mar 4, 2004
Rent this space!
Ah, it should be here tomorrow anyway :)
I've been rinsing out Youtube tutorials and scouring Flickr for inspiration to learn off. Is it weekend yet?

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

xenilk posted:

people frown on E-TTL as it sort of introduces an "automatic" element you can't control. Like if you shoot manual on your flash you can reproduce what you get exactly whereas E-TTL might be slightly different each time you shoot.

I know a lot of photographers that shoot E-TTL. I only moved off it because my cord is dodgy and sometimes produces wildly different exposures so I just keep the flash on a constant power and adjust my aperture to obtain the exposure I want.

One of the most important things I learnt about lighting is just if you like it that's in a way good enough. A lot of the tutorials and things you'll find online are sort of preaching very generic advice that tends to produce fairly samey photographs.

I was the lighting assistant on this shoot and it was all super simple stuff, but things you'd never find on a tutorial because it wasn't "text book"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Clown posted:

Ah, it should be here tomorrow anyway :)
I've been rinsing out Youtube tutorials and scouring Flickr for inspiration to learn off. Is it weekend yet?

Make sure to visit Neil vanNiekerk's blog, Tangents. He's got a gift for telling you exactly what you want to know and providing some amazing material along the way.

This is a particularly nice recent one about combining available light with flash.