Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZebraBlade
Mar 26, 2010

Something is rotten in the state of Denmark
Had my first Mens league game tonight. You guys were right, I can hardly walk. I did keep up a lot better than I expected for being about 100 pounds overweight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
Thanks for all the responses Cali goons. Sorry I didn't respond right away, busy weekend. I probably won't be moving until this summer (if it happens) but I'm pretty excited about it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

coldwind posted:

I put a lace lock around the ankle bend used some zipper lacing to help hold it or something like that. It's a bit of a chore to lace and unlace sometimes, but once they're in...goddammit they never let go. Never feel sloppy in my boots. It's great.

These thingies:
http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/zipperlacing.htm
http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/locklacing.htm

I experimented with some of these tonight, and couldn't get the laces situated in a way I liked.. the flat style of skate laces clump up and bind in really awkward ways when you start twisting them together.

Anyone ever used round laces on their skates? Not many companies seem to make them so it makes me wonder if there's some reason they don't work well.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

So, um, apparently I missed quite an exciting game last night?

robcat
Jan 31, 2005
That looks like the least fun game ever...every time my team gets a penalty it's like a guaranteed 3-4 minutes of gametime that I'm sitting out for.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

So, um, apparently I missed quite an exciting game last night?

So many penalties and only 1 PP goal...

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

robcat posted:

That looks like the least fun game ever...every time my team gets a penalty it's like a guaranteed 3-4 minutes of gametime that I'm sitting out for.

Yeah, the way our team does PKs, we usually sit a wing. Always keep a center and 2 D no matter what. I'm a wing :(

lazerwolf posted:

So many penalties and only 1 PP goal...

That was my first thought too. I wonder what the statistical probability of that is, given so many penalties.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

Yeah, the way our team does PKs, we usually sit a wing. Always keep a center and 2 D no matter what. I'm a wing :(

We were rolling 4 D last night and one of them took a penalty. I hopped on to be the 2nd forward and then I realized we had 3 D on and the ref was yelling at us for having too many men so I hopped off.

Then of course all 3 of them stayed out for the whole kill and there was nobody to come on for them so I got stuck playing D for most of the rest of the period because my team is really bad at managing our lines :psyduck:

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
My team usually just rotates whichever pairing for the guy who is in the box.

robcat
Jan 31, 2005

That was my first thought too. I wonder what the statistical probability of that is, given so many penalties.

Yeah. Sometimes if the center is the one who took the penalty, wings will just go on, but even that usually falls apart because a center just takes someone's place during the mid-PK shift. So then, if you play on the first or second line, that means your line is out on a PK, and will come back just as its ending because beer league shifts are never shorter than 90 seconds anyway, which means you've got a good 2-3 minutes post penalty of not playing too. Luckily, my team never seems to have too many penalties/game.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

So we played without a goalie for the first half of our game last night AND we had two of our goals waved off, and we still won. Good times.

Elbow pad survey: what do you wear? I'm in the market for some new ones. Currently I'm rocking a pair of low-end Warriors but I'm looking to switch up because they keep sliding down my arms. I've been using sock tape to hold them up but it's getting old and I'd rather just roll with something that will stay in place properly. The ones I have now have a single strap around the upper arm and a single strap across the forearm with some kind of stretchy fabric through the elbow that doesn't do anything that I can tell.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My Reebok 5k's stay in place well.. they loosen up a when the elastic gets all sweat soaked, but they don't drift. They just don't feel as snug when the skate is over.

I'm thinking I'll need to hem in the bands before long though.. even when dry, they don't tighten down as well as when they were new.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

I did some permanent nerve damage to my elbow in my previous lovely elbow pads, so I bought some thicker ones in a size small that are probably too small and could use replacing.

Anyone with ridiculously boney elbows have any good recommendations on pads? Basically everything I tried in the store didn't seem like they would help in the event I fell directly onto my elbow again.

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Pleads posted:

I did some permanent nerve damage to my elbow in my previous lovely elbow pads, so I bought some thicker ones in a size small that are probably too small and could use replacing.

Anyone with ridiculously boney elbows have any good recommendations on pads? Basically everything I tried in the store didn't seem like they would help in the event I fell directly onto my elbow again.

I have fairly bony elbows and I just use the Bauer x:20 elbow pads. They work fine and stay in place, but I also don't have nerve damage in my elbow so I'm not sure if they'd actually have enough padding over your elbow for you though.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I'd recommend Jofa elbow pads but sadly those aren't even made anymore.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Look Around You posted:

I have fairly bony elbows and I just use the Bauer x:20 elbow pads. They work fine and stay in place, but I also don't have nerve damage in my elbow so I'm not sure if they'd actually have enough padding over your elbow for you though.

I've got those too and it doesn't hurt too bad when I fall right on the elbow. The forearm protection kind of sucks though.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

shyguy posted:

Isn't all the reebok stuff just rebranded jofa gear? The straps seem to be mostly the same.. the shell around the elbow has changed a bit but it looks functionally equivalent.

bigmike
Oct 20, 2003

The RBK elbow and shin pads are the only ones I've liked. Also you can get the Under Armour shirts with the rubber dots on the arms that really help your elbow pads from sliding around.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

ZebraBlade posted:

Had my first Mens league game tonight. You guys were right, I can hardly walk. I did keep up a lot better than I expected for being about 100 pounds overweight.

Awesome! Hope you had fun. Stick with it and the weight will fall off in a hurry. I think, anyway.

I watched a lower division game before ours yesterday. One team had a kid who was way sandbagging, he had 3 goals in the time I was watching mainly because the other team's defensemen couldn't skate backwards and pokecheck at the same time. Then someone slashed his stick and the ref didn't call it, which prompted him to throw a full scale temper tantrum to include throwing his gloves and stick over the bench and taking himself out of the game for half a period. I felt compelled to make fun of him as his team was leaving the ice, which prompted him to wait for me all the way to the end of our game and challenge me to fight in the parking lot. I declined.

EvilTwig
Jan 31, 2001
Just got back from my first instructional hockey class in Plymouth MA. I had a lot of fun, and was sweating like a piglet by the end of it. I really need to work on skating - stops and backwards. Its too bad the only open skate time I can make is so packed, its more avoiding the kids who cant skate at all and trying not to get run over by the ones who can skate a billion times better then I ever will. Can't wait for next week!

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

bewbies posted:

I felt compelled to make fun of him as his team was leaving the ice, which prompted him to wait for me all the way to the end of our game and challenge me to fight in the parking lot. I declined.

haha...he wasn't sandbagging. It's just that no one will put up with his silly rear end in higher divisions.

In unrelated news, my captain just called me. Our team got moved into Mid-C for next season :whatup:

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you
loving hell, hate getting a 1st assist on an awesome breakout pass that sets a guy up for a glorious breakaway goal and not actually getting credit for it.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

real_scud posted:

loving hell, hate getting a 1st assist on an awesome breakout pass that sets a guy up for a glorious breakaway goal and not actually getting credit for it.

Our scorers are really awful, probably about half of our goals get credited to the right guy so we end up with one of our best players only technically having 1 point this season while a guy who can barely skate apparently had a three point game a few weeks ago.

Somehow all my points are accounted for though :whatup:

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

Thufir posted:

Our scorers are really awful, probably about half of our goals get credited to the right guy so we end up with one of our best players only technically having 1 point this season while a guy who can barely skate apparently had a three point game a few weeks ago.

Somehow all my points are accounted for though :whatup:
Yeah, I have a feeling they did the ole 'Give the assist to the first guy who touches the goal scorer' bit, cause that's who got the assist.

Guess from now on I'll hurry my rear end up when I setup a goal.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

shyguy posted:

I use RBK 11Ks. They're similar to the Jofas. The bottom 2 straps are nylon, so they don't stretch out at all. The top one is still elastic though. They've worked out great so far, but I only have had them since Christmas.

I previously wore Vapor X:40s, but those straps stretched out ridiculously quick. I ended up having to tie a ton of knots in them just to make them tight again. They'd constantly slip down too.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

real_scud posted:

Yeah, I have a feeling they did the ole 'Give the assist to the first guy who touches the goal scorer' bit, cause that's who got the assist.

Guess from now on I'll hurry my rear end up when I setup a goal.

I had a 3g 3a night a few weeks ago, but they missed credit on 2 (both primary) of the assists.

The last one especially I got a pass to the point, walked the line a bit and took a slap pass to the guy in front who tipped it in.

They missed both me and the guy who clearly passed me the puck on the scoresheet and must have given the assists to the two other guys on the ice cause I dont know what .

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
I have a pair of Reebok 10k's which have only been used twice. Wanted to know if anyone would be interested in them before I go to craigslist. They are size 7 and can still be baked. I'll post pictures if anyone is interested.

The reason I don't want them/wore them only twice is because I managed to get a free pair of MLX's from work. Man my job has some nice perks.

Acethomas
Sep 21, 2004

NHL 1451 684 773 1457

Benson Cunningham posted:

I have a pair of Reebok 10k's which have only been used twice. Wanted to know if anyone would be interested in them before I go to craigslist. They are size 7 and can still be baked. I'll post pictures if anyone is interested.

The reason I don't want them/wore them only twice is because I managed to get a free pair of MLX's from work. Man my job has some nice perks.

I'm interested but am worried about sizing. I wear a size 7 Bauer Vapor but have to step up to a 7.5 in Bauer Supremes. Any idea what the 10ks are closest to in sizing to other brands?

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.

Acethomas posted:

I'm interested but am worried about sizing. I wear a size 7 Bauer Vapor but have to step up to a 7.5 in Bauer Supremes. Any idea what the 10ks are closest to in sizing to other brands?

My original skates, Bauer Supremess, were a size 8 and slightly too large for me. I'd be fine holding on to them for a while if you wanted to go to a local hockey shop and try them on first. If you want more info my email is jormungandrmml at the gmail dot com.

cenzo
Dec 5, 2003

'roux mad?
Story time:

I was skating to play a puck along the boards, moving directly at the boards, while someone on the hated other team was skating parallel to the boards to reach the same puck. We basically got there at the same time and it ended in an explosion, neither of us were going to slow or stop -- we both wanted to play the puck. He got the worst of it mostly because I'm bigger than he is, and their whole team started screaming for a penalty. I asked the ref and he said we both were making a play for the puck and it was a legit play, even though the guy ended up with a cut on his nose (no visor or cage.)

So I ask: In the face of unavoidable collision, do you guys use your arms at all to try and cushion the impact?

ninja edit:

Lazer -- I finally got around to checking out those rinks. It looks like it's some Gloucester Township youth league if the posters and billboards can be believed. I went there at like 6:45 last night on my way home from work and the lights were on but no one was home. They lock up the nets but I didn't see any "no trespassing" signs so I might make a cameo appearance to work on my skating and stick handling, at least until someone kicks me off.

cenzo fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Feb 28, 2012

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

cenzo posted:

So I ask: In the face of unavoidable collision, do you guys use your arms at all to try and cushion the impact?

You have to, if you don't your ribs are going to take the brunt of the impact and they are nowhere near as durable as your arms. I get that it's going to make it look to everyone like a hit, but even if the call goes against you I think it's worth it to protect yourself.

Technically it probably protects the other guy too, it cushions the impact for both players.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

xzzy posted:

Isn't all the reebok stuff just rebranded jofa gear? The straps seem to be mostly the same.. the shell around the elbow has changed a bit but it looks functionally equivalent.
I think you're right, I wasn't sure if they kept producing the same quality stuff after they bought out Jofa.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

shyguy posted:

I think you're right, I wasn't sure if they kept producing the same quality stuff after they bought out Jofa.

I can't comment on long term quality because I've never had Jofa stuff, and I've had my Reebok stuff under a year. I can tell you the Reebok gear lasts at least 6 months with no problems and I'm constantly falling and standing in front of pucks and all that fun stuff. :science:

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

EvilTwig posted:

Just got back from my first instructional hockey class in Plymouth MA. I had a lot of fun, and was sweating like a piglet by the end of it. I really need to work on skating - stops and backwards. Its too bad the only open skate time I can make is so packed, its more avoiding the kids who cant skate at all and trying not to get run over by the ones who can skate a billion times better then I ever will. Can't wait for next week!

How old are you, how long have you been skating?

I'm in the second 6 week session of learn to skate and I'm getting confident in a lot of things, I just can't do all the stuff necessary yet to play hockey.

Anyway, my learn to skate classes are only like 40 minutes long, but they let you stay on the ice till the zambonis come around, which is like an extra half hour with a very low amount of people on the ice. So, basically what I'm saying is: maybe you should take a learn to skate class to get that extra practice and ice time and not have to worry so much about the pros and kids.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Doctor Butts posted:

I'm in the second 6 week session of learn to skate and I'm getting confident in a lot of things, I just can't do all the stuff necessary yet to play hockey.

Don't sweat it, almost everyone in the adult learn to play classes are going to be casual dudes who will give you space to learn things at your own pace. Getting out there and chasing the puck will beef up your skating skills absurdly fast.. the "game pressure" or whatever you want to call it prevents your brain from over thinking everything, and your body will naturally do what it needs to do.

I jumped into a beginner's league less than two months after buying my skates, and it was the best decision I could have made. I still have a ton to learn but I've also learned a ton.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

A lot of it is mental, too. Play NHL12 or something and get used to where each person should be on a play, that never changes no matter the skill level.

We had a guy on our beginner team who could barely skate, and while he improved his skating over the season his biggest improvement was when he started stumbling his way to somewhere in good position and putting his stick on the ice.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

Pleads posted:

A lot of it is mental, too. Play NHL12 or something and get used to where each person should be on a play, that never changes no matter the skill level.

We had a guy on our beginner team who could barely skate, and while he improved his skating over the season his biggest improvement was when he started stumbling his way to somewhere in good position and putting his stick on the ice.

I wish my team would learn positioning... We have NHL 12 tourneys all the time and yet no one knows where they need to be when we actually play.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

lazerwolf posted:

I wish my team would learn positioning... We have NHL 12 tourneys all the time and yet no one knows where they need to be when we actually play.

I think it's all communication and chemistry. The scrimmages I play are for the most part chaos because most dudes in pickup are all "ME WANT PUCK ME GO GET PUCK", but there's a handful of guys who know each other well and spend a second or two on the ice to call out positions and clear up confusion. The difference when they're out is pretty huge.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
I know we definitely lack some communication while we're out playing. We've been playing for 3 seasons together now so we should have some chemistry developing however we'll have a really awesome game followed up by a completely terrible game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Pleads posted:

We have a dude who can't really skate that well, but like your dude, he stumbles into the right spots and ends up scoring a bunch of goals. He's one of the team's top scorer's and its so :iiam: