Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Has anyone else using Chrome to Phone with beta Chrome lost the ability to select text in the browser, right click, and Chrome-to-Phone just that text?

Every time I do that anymore, it just opens that page in the browser on my phone rather than copying that text to the phone's clipboard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
On the topic of chrome to phone, it doesn't even work for me any more. Likely because I've flashed so many roms and there's an activation limit, but no way to clear it. I simply can't login anymore.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Thermopyle posted:

Has anyone else using Chrome to Phone with beta Chrome lost the ability to select text in the browser, right click, and Chrome-to-Phone just that text?

Every time I do that anymore, it just opens that page in the browser on my phone rather than copying that text to the phone's clipboard.

I've noticed this too. But, even though it opens whatever page I was on, it also copies the selected text. It doesn't notify me of it though.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime

Vykk.Draygo posted:

On the topic of chrome to phone, it doesn't even work for me any more. Likely because I've flashed so many roms and there's an activation limit, but no way to clear it. I simply can't login anymore.

Can't you just open the app and rerun the setup? That's what I do after every ROM flash.

sedative
Mar 20, 2003

‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ :allears:

Vykk.Draygo posted:

It's not working for me either

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Do any of the Android CBR readers hide or dim the button bar that comes up in ICS when you're using a tablet? I finally got around to trying CM9 on my Touchpad and I love it, but Comic Shelf HD on WebOS seemed so much nicer since it allowed for fullscreen. I've tried ACV, Komik, and jj, and they all left me feeling pretty underwhelmed.

Edit: Well, Komik will do it but it renders like Unreal Engine 3 and every page is blurry for the first few seconds. ACV's settings page is broken in ICS, jjcomic reader works okay but has no option to dim the bottom bar. Basically I am a whiny baby.

RichterIX fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Feb 28, 2012

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

When life becomes too painful, sometimes it's better to just become a drunk.

XIII posted:

I've noticed this too. But, even though it opens whatever page I was on, it also copies the selected text. It doesn't notify me of it though.

It did that for me, too. But I don't use the Chrome Beta, so maybe they changed some things or I'm doing it wrong?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

rotaryfun posted:

Can't you just open the app and rerun the setup? That's what I do after every ROM flash.

Error: unable to connect.

It hasn't worked for me for many months.

On a different topic, is there any way to change the app drawer in Nova Launcher to scroll vertically?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

RichterIX posted:

Do any of the Android CBR readers hide or dim the button bar that comes up in ICS when you're using a tablet? I finally got around to trying CM9 on my Touchpad and I love it, but Comic Shelf HD on WebOS seemed so much nicer since it allowed for fullscreen. I've tried ACV, Komik, and jj, and they all left me feeling pretty underwhelmed.

Edit: Well, Komik will do it but it renders like Unreal Engine 3 and every page is blurry for the first few seconds. ACV's settings page is broken in ICS, jjcomic reader works okay but has no option to dim the bottom bar. Basically I am a whiny baby.

I don't know how it behaves in ics but try perfect viewer?

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Cakefool posted:

I don't know how it behaves in ics but try perfect viewer?

Perfect Viewer seems cool but doesn't have an option to dim the bottom bar unfortunately. I wish WebOS didn't take roughly 7 hours to boot or I'd just switch back and forth to read comics.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

RichterIX posted:

Comic Rack does but I'm not sure how well it works on a Touchpad. The paid version is a little pricey (but worth it IMHO) but the free version has all the major features except for syncing with the Windows application. I think it gives you ads in the open comic dialog but not on top of the comics themselves (thank goodness!).

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Thermopyle posted:

This was intentional, and it annoys the hell out of me too. I used this a ton.

godzirraRAWR
Sep 11, 2003

godzirra will trample your scrotum
Hope this is the correct thread for this question, but is there an app that'll let me run the tablet version of all of the gapps, and other apps if possible?

I really love the tablet view of my labels, and its just a small annoyance.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

godzirraRAWR posted:

Hope this is the correct thread for this question, but is there an app that'll let me run the tablet version of all of the gapps, and other apps if possible?

I really love the tablet view of my labels, and its just a small annoyance.

Is the tablet view available on non-Honeycomb tablets, like the Galaxy Tab? If so, you could screw with your DPI or build.prop file to trick your gapps into thinking you're running a bigger device. This could probably backfire in a lot of ways, though.

It would be cool if there was an app list like SU that played middleman between apps and your device so you could do this fuckery on an app-by-app basis.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I have been using Miren browser for ages now and realised recently that it hasn't been updated in ages even though there are some annoying bugs. I browsed back about ten pages to see if there was any talk about browsers and found that there was a lot of talk about Chrome.

Is it worth trying? If not what is the best browser at the moment?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Boat is good. Firefox is nice for the sync but pretty slow and sluggish even on a high-end phone.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
Chrome has replaced any other browser on my phone. If you have Android 4.0+, there's little reason not to try it.

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam
For what it's worth: I used to use Miren until I started using the stock browser again for whatever reason. After this, I noticed that 3G Watchdog still reported Miren as using most of my bandwith despite me never opening it. Only after uninstalling Miren dropped my daily bandwith use from ~5 MB to ~1.5 MB.

This may not be an issue for other people, and it may be due to some other snafu on my phone, but I'm pretty down on Miren now.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

mediaphage posted:

Chrome has replaced any other browser on my phone. If you have Android 4.0+, there's little reason not to try it.
What makes Chrome so much better than ICS Browser+?

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

Vykk.Draygo posted:

If nothing else, it does tap zooming in the Firefox/Safari style rather than the horrible broken way the stock browser does it.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Thoom posted:

If nothing else, it does tap zooming in the Firefox/Safari style rather than the horrible broken way the stock browser does it.

I actually much prefer the way the stock browser handles zooming - maybe just because I'm used to it.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Thoom posted:

Plus it supports general web pages better than the stick browser, the tabs implementation is slicker, and the Chrome sign-in cross-device support has actually been working out super well for me.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

dissss posted:

I actually much prefer the way the stock browser handles zooming - maybe just because I'm used to it.

My issue with the stock browser's zooming is that it doesn't work on anything other than columns of text (and even then, not always). Images? Nope. Tables? Nope. And sometimes it zooms in on something like 2 inches away from where I tapped.

Chrome/Safari/Firefox reliably zoom in on the element I tapped, whatever it happens to be, and fit it to the screen.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I'm running a rooted HTC Desire with 2.3.7 so Chrome isn't an option unfortunately.

Is Boat my only alternative?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don't think I could ever use a browser without the quick touch controls again, I love those things. I installed Quick ICS Browser which lets you completely customise the menu, gives me different options in top and bottom of screen and allows click through. I thought about trying Chrome and then realised msot of the benefits involve using the desktop browser. And until Chrome (desktop) fixes the horrible white flash when loading between pages with a dark background (which has existed since launch), I cannot use it.

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011
HI, I'M HARDCORE SAX HERE TO DROP A NICE JUICY TURD OF A POST FROM UP ON HIGH
Is there a pdf app that renders faster than ezPDF and has annotation abilities?

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

Frozen-Solid posted:

Google Music is both a regular music playing app (that's really good!) and a streaming music app. If you don't have an actual Google Music account you can use it just like a normal music player and you don't even see the streaming features.

How do i organize my music? I listen to old time radio dramas, and would like to keep them in a folder separate from everything else. Android seems to read every file on the phone, even the audio files from games, which is annoying.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

b0nes posted:

How do i organize my music? I listen to old time radio dramas, and would like to keep them in a folder separate from everything else. Android seems to read every file on the phone, even the audio files from games, which is annoying.

That's the annoying thing about the stock player.
I just got PowerAMP for similar reasons (+ album art and actual EQ), you can select specific folders and sub folders to scan . It's not cheap but I love it so far.
I'm sure there are other really good free options someone can recommend, but that person isn't me.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

Is there anyway to set a wallpaper that isn't Google's hosed up notion of how to do it? I've been using android for 2.5 years now, and now that I have a tablet, I find out just how annoying it really is.

I have a picture that would look awesome in landscape, and has enough to work with for portrait mode. But not any way how they let you. Why the gently caress can't you just pick two crops? Is there any app or something that will let you do this? I'm all rooted running ICS if that would make any difference.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I'm not sure of this ever got mentioned, but Cerberus anti-theft is giving away free licenses through today through their Facebook page. I can't easily provide a link right now but I'm sure you can find it. You have to download the app and create an account first, then give them your cerberus ID and email through their web form. Seems like a pretty nice app.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I'm not sure of this ever got mentioned, but Cerberus anti-theft is giving away free licenses through today through their Facebook page. I can't easily provide a link right now but I'm sure you can find it. You have to download the app and create an account first, then give them your cerberus ID and email through their web form. Seems like a pretty nice app.

Just downloaded and threw my username/email at them. Thanks for mentioning this!

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Thanks, just did this as well.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I don't know if ICS Browser+ does it, but for example on the Penny Arcade page, when you go to press one of the web buttons to go back/forward a strip it'll bring up a little zoomed image of those 2-3 buttons your finger might have hit for you to press.

Cruseydr
May 18, 2010

I am not an atomic playboy.

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Yes thanks! I do have time, so here's the links:
Android Market for Cerberus
Facebook Page - the link to the actual form to fill out is the status update from today.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

PirateDentist posted:

Is there anyway to set a wallpaper that isn't Google's hosed up notion of how to do it? I've been using android for 2.5 years now, and now that I have a tablet, I find out just how annoying it really is.

I have a picture that would look awesome in landscape, and has enough to work with for portrait mode. But not any way how they let you. Why the gently caress can't you just pick two crops? Is there any app or something that will let you do this? I'm all rooted running ICS if that would make any difference.

In addition to this I'd like to be able to pick a wallpaper & lock it, regardless of system rotation.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Cruseydr posted:

Yes thanks! I do have time, so here's the links:
Android Market for Cerberus
Facebook Page - the link to the actual form to fill out is the status update from today.

Maybe I'm a retard or maybe it's the new timeline, but I see no such post...

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

hotsauce posted:

Maybe I'm a retard or maybe it's the new timeline, but I see no such post...

It ended at midnight GMT. I should have mentioned this when I found out a couple days ago. Sorry guys.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Vykk.Draygo posted:

It ended at midnight GMT. I should have mentioned this when I found out a couple days ago. Sorry guys.

Yeah, screw this. I installed the app first thing this morning and just emailed them. Here is the response:

Sorry, but the promotion ended on February 29, 23:59:59 GMT (3 hours ago). You can find all references on our Google+ page: https://plus.google.com/111441929456451548230/posts

Lame. I was flying all day and didn't have time to email them (installed right before we took off).

Instant uninstall.

Yes, it's only a few bucks, but it's the principle.

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Mar 1, 2012

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

hotsauce posted:

Yeah, screw this. I installed the app first thing this morning and just emailed them. Here is the response:

Sorry, but the promotion ended on February 29, 23:59:59 GMT (3 hours ago). You can find all references on our Google+ page: https://plus.google.com/111441929456451548230/posts

Lame. I was flying all day and didn't have time to email them (installed right before we took off).

Instant uninstall.

Yes, it's only a few bucks, but it's the principle.

What principle would that be?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Vykk.Draygo posted:

What principle would that be?

That the Eastern timezone is God's Own Timezone, damnit!

• Locked thread