Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
I watched Hetalia and found it to be fairly entertaining and I'm very happy to leave it at that. Do I consider myself a fan? Not really. Will I watch the third season? Probably, but only if it's on Netflix.

I also liasoned for two of the Hetalia VAs at my local con last year and they were both total bros. who were also a bit dismayed by the state of the fandom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Rabid Frog
Dec 12, 2009

DizzyBum posted:

It's been a while since I watched that show, but wasn't Dorothy Catalonia pretty much Relena's crazy lesbian stalker? At least that's the vibe I seem to recall...
If I remember correctly, she also had a pointed unibrow or something, and stabbed a couple of people. (I think it was Quatre?) Anyway, I haven't seen the show in over 10 years, but I loved it as a kid. (10-13 years old) I think still have some of the model sets in a box somewhere in my mother's garage.

Solemn Secularity
Nov 12, 2011
In my life I have really only met two people whom I believe to be utterly deluded in a more significant way than being overly religious or actively "practicing magic" and the like.

The first is a guy I only ever knew as Tsume. I had very limited exposure to the man; I was introduced to him through my then-girlfriend, and we would occasionally speak to one another over MSN, or perhaps YIM. Tsume was a guy she and some of her other online friends would occasionally involve in roleplaying sessions; things like pirate adventures on the seven seas or steampunk dystopias.

Our conversations were always rather short and unremarkable, but on perhaps the fifth or sixth time we spoke, he let me in on his great secret - you see, he was a wolf. Not just any wolf, mind, but a great wolf god who would smite evil cosmic forces. He proceeded to regale me with his daring tale: he was taken to an asylum in his youth because his parents, slaves of the Otherworldly Enemy, did not approve of his higher calling. One day when he was being fed, he felt a surge of power, his lupine heritage filling his blood, before he proceeded to tear out the throat of his caretaker with his teeth. He then escaped the institution, and has for years never been in any way faced any negative repercussions from the act.

His eyes still turn golden when he gets angry, he claims, and he currently lives far from civilization in order to protect himself from the police. This never seemed to affect his access to the Internet, mind you.

Even at fourteen, I was able to recognize complete and utter fabrication, but regardless of the invalidity of his tale, I assumed anyone who seemed to genuinely believe he was a Great Wolf from Beyond and claimed amazing prowess at ending others' lives with naught but his Gift and occasionally his fangs was perhaps capable of becoming dangerous. I quickly severed all ties with him and urged my ex to do the same; as far as I know, Tsume is still fighting evil forces to this day.

The other, Ryan, is one of my housemates, boyfriend to Keith, my other housemate.

Ryan is a condescending, manipulative, passive aggressive compulsive liar with massive egotism and slight paranoia. In minor interactions, he is a perfectly friendly and sociable person, but he becomes toxic after any prolonged exposure and is unfit to be in a relationship. I apologize if it seems all I've done so far is attack his character rather than explaining right away how this ties into the theme of "people being crazy," but I have a lot of withheld vitriol about how he acts and I really am trying to make this as civil as I can.

Ryan is twenty-three years old, and he has in his lifetime:

- Hacked the Pentagon at fourteen. He was then able to escape his two options, going to jail for twenty years or becoming a mole in a foreign country, by finding a loophole in a contract drafted by the U.S. government and was allowed to walk completely free.

- Worked as a hacker for the government, taking down various institutions. (For a hacker, he was rather worried when our unsecured wireless Internet connection was hi-jacked; rather than resetting the router and securing it properly, he holed himself into his room until my fiancè who happened to be visiting and myself fixed the problem for him.)

- Gained military top secret clearance. He knows security passes up to the
third highest level and has great information on much classified information, which he is not allowed to divulge but will often drop vague hints regarding. America is in for "big changes" in 2012; of the three biggest conspiracy theories surrounding John F. Kennedy's assassination, one is true; that kind of hint toward his "secret knowledge."

- Attended an extremely prestigious private school, the gleanings of which include extensive knowledge about music (something he lauds over Keith constantly; Keith is a music major currently in his sophomore year).

- Worked as an ambulance driver/EMT.

- Served as a state trooper.

- Became a medic.

- Was a sous chef.

- Was married, had a daughter who died of medical incompetence, then divorced. (This came up during a fight with a friend who was worried about the well-being of his daughter Chloe; she almost swallowed a bone at a restaurant, the father Nico was worried more to the point of suing the establishment than after his daughter's health. When Ryan tried to convince him he was overreacting and Nico retorted that Ryan had no idea what it was like to be in that situation, Ryan disclosed this piece of information.)

- Has lived homeless on the streets for a year.

- Designed the Worgen of World of Warcraft fame.

He also claims he can physically smell pheromones - that without turning his head, he can determine whether two people are attracted to each other by scent alone. I sincerely believe he only told me this so he could tell me what may have been a veiled threat - he informed me that the pheromones given off by physical attraction differ from those given off when in love, and told me that if, for example, I were to fall for Keith, Ryan would know probably before I did, myself.

This is only beginning to scrape the surface; keep in mind he claims he has done all of these things in his twenty-three years of life.

Currently he believes the CIA is monitoring him because of his prior hacking experience, and has claimed that various vans outside the apartment building contain operatives.

Currently, he is illegally living in the apartment Keith's parents have been paying. They do not know Ryan lives here, nor would they approve of paying his third of the rent for him. Because Keith doesn't like to lie to his parents, Ryan has instead been pushing him to sever contact with them beyond letting them continue to pay rent. He refuses to sign on the lease, is currently "waiting for his medical license to come in, but the paperwork is taking forever" and absolutely will not settle for any kind of lesser work. He plays WoW every hour of every day, and has for the past few months since convincing Keith to renew his subscription, with the claim that he will soon be a GM and employed by Blizzard as a justification for his addiction. He constantly puts down on Keith, berating him in small ways, occasionally getting angry over nothing and "apologizing" with a patronizing head-pat and a line like "I'm sorry, baby, but you really shouldn't have x." He has very expensive tastes - he absolutely must have his monkey-picked white oolong tea, after all - but will frequently refuse to let Keith buy something because "we have a budget."

He neglects both his local boyfriend and his Internet boyfriend, someone in London who has made it very clear he dislikes going for several weeks at a time without being able to speak to Ryan, spurning them both in favor of playing World of Warcraft. That said, he portrays Keith as cold and distant, and complains about Keith deserting him if Keith should leave for a fraternity obligation once every couple of weeks.

One of the few things Ryan has said that I believe is that he had a terrible childhood. Over the last few years, I've learned quite well that every person has a story. The issue is, I think he's been telling himself these fantasies for years, to the point where he now believes them. Essentially, I think it's escapism in its most base form, taken to an extreme. I know there are probably some mental problems underlying, but he should in no way be involved in a relationship.

I'm sorry this post probably turned into a wall of text, but I've seriously needed to vent for some time now, and this thread gave me an opportunity.

Solemn Secularity fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Feb 26, 2012

InEscape
Nov 10, 2006

stuck.

Solemn Secularity posted:

Crazy, manipulative, abusive rear end in a top hat housemate

:stare: holy poo poo this is incredibly unhealthy and hosed up

Usually I feel for the people in this thread. This guy's dangerous and an rear end in a top hat and you need to get yourself and your roommate away from him as soon as possible. If you can't convince Keith to leave Ryan on his own, would calling his parents or your landlords be an option?

I suggest clipping a list of abuse warning signals (there's a bunch online, and Ann Landers has a pretty well-respected one), highlighting the ones Ryan exhibits, showing it to Keith and holding a firm intervention saying this guy needs to get the gently caress out of your house, now. Work with Keith on getting this dude out because that's beyond hosed up. Maybe try and get Ryan into counseling or something?

I worry about him becoming violent if you call him on his poo poo though.

Solemn Secularity
Nov 12, 2011

InEscape posted:

:stare: holy poo poo this is incredibly unhealthy and hosed up

Usually I feel for the people in this thread. This guy's dangerous and an rear end in a top hat and you need to get yourself and your roommate away from him as soon as possible. If you can't convince Keith to leave Ryan on his own, would calling his parents or your landlords be an option?

It's definitely an option, but more of a last resort than anything. I really want to get a chance to speak with Keith alone about some of this (and more importantly, to find a tactful way to do it. I tend to be blunt, and I'm cautious about exactly how I should phrase things when I try to broach the issue) but I'm prepared to call his parents or the landlord if I have to.

InEscape posted:

I suggest clipping a list of abuse warning signals (there's a bunch online, and Ann Landers has a pretty well-respected one), highlighting the ones Ryan exhibits, showing it to Keith and holding a firm intervention saying this guy needs to get the gently caress out of your house, now. Work with Keith on getting this dude out because that's beyond hosed up. Maybe try and get Ryan into counseling or something?

I worry about him becoming violent if you call him on his poo poo though.

My mate's actually written up a very lengthy list of signals like that, specifically for this reason. He and I have been speaking a lot about this over the last few days, and we're both seriously worried about Keith's well-being. I think Ryan definitely needs counseling, but he has no money to his name and Keith's entire fiscal situation relies on his parents. I know they wouldn't pay to put their son's boyfriend into therapy the day they learn he exists at all.

The idea that Ryan might become violent has occurred to me, too. So far, he hasn't done anything that really makes me think he would, but then I've never actually had personal experience with somebody like this until now. I don't really have any way of knowing just how he'd react short of testing the waters now and then.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Dear Keith,

Ditch the lying scumbag and have some respect for yourself. You don't need to settle for horrible dudes in your life. Please ditch Ryan and I'll be happy to introduce you to loads of quality men.

Your Internet pal,

Cuddlechunks

This reminds me of a friend of mine (currently single) that has horrible luck with dating. Maybe I can hook them up and they'll both be happy dating a non-scumbag for a change. :unsmith:

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Hand Keith a torch so he can go out and look for his self respect.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

DizzyBum posted:

- He also played IRL Magic, but he didn't play with assembled decks or participate in drafts - he would just proxy ridiculously overpowered decks (i.e. play with fake cards), and I mean old-school broken poo poo like Fireball + Black Lotus + Mox gems decks that are almost guaranteed wins.

This is actually a legit way to play "Vintage" Magic, and a lot of people take it seriously and play for large prize pools. They use the fake cards because a set of real ones can cost tens of thousands of dollars. Plus, there is a lot of depth to the Vintage game, since the obvious broken poo poo has some not so obvious broken counters. Of course, if he brings his Black Lotus proxy into casual matches against people who only use real cards and don't understand the Vintage metagame, that's just being a dick.

Kimitsu
Jan 11, 2012

Bear with me for a moment.

Solemn Secularity posted:

The first is a guy I only ever knew as Tsume. [...]

Our conversations were always rather short and unremarkable, but on perhaps the fifth or sixth time we spoke, he let me in on his great secret - you see, he was a wolf.

Not to say anything else is a derail or not crazy, but did Tsume watch the anime Wolf's Rain? In which the four main characters were wolves, and one was named Tsume?

If so, hello again, anime crazy.

Solemn Secularity
Nov 12, 2011

Kimitsu posted:

Not to say anything else is a derail or not crazy, but did Tsume watch the anime Wolf's Rain? In which the four main characters were wolves, and one was named Tsume?

I don't know if he ever watched it, but if memory serves he met my ex via an anime forum, so it is entirely likely.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Konstantin posted:

This is actually a legit way to play "Vintage" Magic, and a lot of people take it seriously and play for large prize pools. They use the fake cards because a set of real ones can cost tens of thousands of dollars. Plus, there is a lot of depth to the Vintage game, since the obvious broken poo poo has some not so obvious broken counters. Of course, if he brings his Black Lotus proxy into casual matches against people who only use real cards and don't understand the Vintage metagame, that's just being a dick.

This kinda bugs me as a player from `96-2000 who's just picking up the game again as a lark (a friend's new boyfriend is a local-level DCI judge.) Back in the day, proxies were only meant for cards you owned but didn't want to shuffle up, you had to prove you had a thing before you could use it, so my knee-jerk reaction is that he's being a dick no matter what. I don't care what format I'm in, I see proxied power nine, that game is over.

Guesticles
Dec 21, 2009

I AM CURRENTLY JACKING OFF TO PICTURES OF MUTILATED FEMALE CORPSES, IT'S ALL VERY DEEP AND SOPHISTICATED BUT IT'S JUST TOO FUCKING HIGHBROW FOR YOU NON-MISOGYNISTS TO UNDERSTAND

:siren:P.S. STILL COMPLETELY DEVOID OF MERIT:siren:

Allen Wren posted:

This kinda bugs me as a player from `96-2000 who's just picking up the game again as a lark (a friend's new boyfriend is a local-level DCI judge.) Back in the day, proxies were only meant for cards you owned but didn't want to shuffle up, you had to prove you had a thing before you could use it, so my knee-jerk reaction is that he's being a dick no matter what. I don't care what format I'm in, I see proxied power nine, that game is over.

Yeah, that was my understanding about proxies as well, so you don't destroy your mint condition ultra rares.

But, I can also see about making up your own decks to play Vintage magic; no need to buy whole boxes just to see how a deck plays.

Petry
Apr 6, 2009
There was this guy a friend of mine talked on IM with. Nice 18 year old guy from Philly. We’ll call him Jafar.
Jafar talks to me for a while, and we become friends, and he eventually gets my phone number. Besides his crazy 13 year old voice he had, he was a really nice guy. Except that he really, really wanted to date me, and I just couldn't picture him more than a friend.
He told me all these horrible stories about how he witnessed his friend's death. The first one, his best friend had some kind of leukemia and bleed out. There was a lot of blood, is how he put it. Then three more of his friends hung themselves in front of him. And an ex had shot him in the balls. Okay...at this point, I didn't believe him but I went on with it. Just figured he was trying to be a tough guy or something.

He always wanted to be a chef, and then suddenly got in a car accident and shattered all the bones in his right hand....his cooking hand. Do you feel the tears swelling yet? I did, cause I was so, soo stupidly naïve.
Jafar had constantly told me he loved me with all his heart and all these sweet things he could find to say. Until he went out with a girl. He would call me up to tell me how beautiful and how amazing she was and everything he'd do for her. I think he went out with somewhere around 6 to 8 different girls, each lasting two weeks. And it went back and forth like this constantly. If he wasn't going out, I was the best. If he was going out with another invisible girl, then I was nothing. And I got really fed up with it. When he was at the hospital...i guess it was for his hand or something else I don't know- he of course found another true love. Everyday I'd talk to him...on IM while he was at the hospital, sure...okay? And he'd do that famous, “she means the world to me” crap again Then he asked to see a picture of my pussy. I was taken aback. I had a boyfriend at this time, so obviously I told him no. He said, he wanted to compare them. I was angry. And for once, I actually stood up for myself. Stood up to the guy who always told me to - unless it was standing up to him. He did a complete 180 on me. Told me I was crazy.

That was when I met his roommate, um...Iago?? I don't know, don't care. So yea, Iago, who was totally not Jafar by the way (sarcasm), and came online to call me a slut and how horrible of a person I am, and how I really hurt his feelings. I tried to talk to Jafar again, but he only got angrier. And with that he left saying goodbye and called me by my full name. I didn't know his at all, so I made it up. Which is probably the funniest things I've ever done.

It's been 5 or some years since that. And sometimes I love looking at people from long ago that were nutcases and seeing how terrible their life is. One day, I decided to look up Jafar, out of pure curiosity...wondering if he even sent a real picture of himself.

Apparently, not.
The only boy I can find who lives exactly where he does, has the right name, the right school, and everything looked like it fit...except for the age. He was just graduating highschool, which would have made him around 13 years old when I had talked to him.....explains the voice.

I've never felt so sick in my life.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Petry posted:

Apparently, not.
The only boy I can find who lives exactly where he does, has the right name, the right school, and everything looked like it fit...except for the age. He was just graduating highschool, which would have made him around 13 years old when I had talked to him.....explains the voice.

I've never felt so sick in my life.
That is seriously weird. Especially the "roommate" showing up to berate you. Classy kid.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

CuddleChunks posted:

Dear Keith,

Ditch the lying scumbag and have some respect for yourself. You don't need to settle for horrible dudes in your life. Please ditch Ryan and I'll be happy to introduce you to loads of quality men.

Your Internet pal,

Cuddlechunks

This reminds me of a friend of mine (currently single) that has horrible luck with dating. Maybe I can hook them up and they'll both be happy dating a non-scumbag for a change. :unsmith:

All these people are like my sisters-in-law and a couple of cousins. Put them in a room with 100 good, decent people and one jerk--and they'll fight to the death over the jerk.

InEscape
Nov 10, 2006

stuck.

Khazar-khum posted:

All these people are like my sisters-in-law and a couple of cousins. Put them in a room with 100 good, decent people and one jerk--and they'll fight to the death over the jerk.

NOTE TO CREEPY "NICE GUYS" LURKING THIS THREAD: Khazar-khum is saying that some people are attracted (for one reason or another, usually stemming from serious self-esteem issues) to dangerous, rear end in a top hat people who treat others badly. Khazar-khum is not saying that all ladies ignore boring "nice guys" for exciting "jerkwads".

I hate it when I see people entering into cycles of abuse, because it's all they've known or all they know how to cope with. I wish I had more tools to help people like that. :/

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

The other problem is that a pretty good swath of guys think they are "nice guys," but are in fact not. There are definitely genuinely nice dudes out there who get friendzoned, and it sucks for them to get lumped in with this group, but I have encountered a LOT of guys who complained about not being able to get a girl because they're "too nice" who were actually real assholes, just not in a way that women find attractive.

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

Kimitsu posted:

If so, hello again, anime crazy.

You know, I'm surprised that this is the first time "Wolf's Rain" has been brought up in this thread (and what a hell of a context for it to be brought up in). You'd think a series where the key premise is that there are people out there who are actually awesome beautiful wolves wouldn't have a chance out there...

InEscape
Nov 10, 2006

stuck.

RazorBunny posted:

The other problem is that a pretty good swath of guys think they are "nice guys," but are in fact not. There are definitely genuinely nice dudes out there who get friendzoned, and it sucks for them to get lumped in with this group, but I have encountered a LOT of guys who complained about not being able to get a girl because they're "too nice" who were actually real assholes, just not in a way that women find attractive.

Anyone who loses interest in getting to know someone else the moment it becomes clear that sex and/or a relationship is off the table is an rear end in a top hat.

Well, no, that might not be true. But anyone who does this regularly, or who assumes that the only point of interaction with the opposite sex is sex/a relationship. That's better. I guess I've met dudes I pretty much am only interested in boning, but they are few and far between.

It really blows as a nerdy girl whose friends are mostly guys when a dude suddenly stops wanting to talk to me if he finds out I'm in a relationship/whatever. It doesn't seem to get easier the older I get, either. I'm less surprised by it, but it still manages to feel like a slap in the face. "Oh, he doesn't really want to be my friend, I guess I'm not interesting/smart enough for him to care if I'm not gonna put out." You know it's more a reflection on them than you but it still feels bad.

On the other hand I have a bunch of dudes who I'm genuinely friends with who respect me and they are awesome and so I know those dudes definitely exist (and are even pretty plentiful! At least the majority of the type of person I seem to hang with), so I'm not trying to comment on genders as a whole here.

To make up for this slight derail, I'm going to tell an honest-to-god true story, narrated to me by Sarah's best friend, of the crazy girl I was talking about earlier in the thread drugging her mom so she could get laid.

Quick recap of the crazy girl since this was 20 pages ago: She thought she was an elf from LOTR with an astral elf boyfriend named Isilme and when I cast doubt on the veracity of that statement she spent several months devising a humiliating way to "get back at me" for "ruining her life."

When she started high school, she began to date a mutual friend of ours. He was blonde, greasy, wore a long trench coat and I'm going to call him "Gaylen" because that was his middle name (and because I did not like him very much).

Gaylen and Sarah, who were both virgins when they started dating, immediately began a highly sexual, highly advertised relationship. They talked all the time about all the sex they were having. I wouldn't have believed either one of them if either of them had been dating someone I didn't know, but since they were doing it together, I figured it was probably true. So one day, Sarah's slightly less-crazy friend Faith finds me online and tells me the following story:

:j: "InEscape! I have the best story. Sarah drugged her mom so she and Gaylen could have sex!"

:downs: "...what?"

:j: "So I guess they've been doing it at Gaylen's dad's house while he was out of town but he's back now and so they were over at Sarah's. And she wanted to have sex but her mom wouldn't leave. So she took some of her mom's sleeping pills and crushed them up in some tea and brought it to her mom so they could have sex!!!"

:downs: ".... then...then what happened?"

:j: "Well, I guess it didn't really work, and her mom walked in on them doing it and called Gaylen's dad and grounded Sarah for a month."

:confused: "She walked in? Like she woke up?"

:j: "I don't think she ever went to sleep, actually..."

:confused: "They didn't wait for her to fall asleep???"

:j: "Sarah did a spell on the pills! She knew they would work!"

:aaa: ".............."

The Bible
May 8, 2010

RazorBunny posted:

That kind of "nice guy" is nearly always the kind that is pissed off that regardless of how "nice" he is to girls, they still refuse to sleep with him, as if he is entitled to that after displaying that behavior. He's only being "nice", to get in their pants, which actually makes him a manipulative and misogynistic rear end in a top hat, which, surprisingly, women aren't too attracted to.

Most genuinely nice guys don't have too much problem attracting women, because they're nice guys, and most girls like that. Some go for the dangerous rear end in a top hat, but at least in my experience, they aren't in the majority.

Even the ones after assholes aren't after the manipulative passive-aggressive "nice guy" assholes.

The Bible fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Feb 28, 2012

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

InEscape posted:

Right up until that point, I thought :j: was just someone else who happened to know these two morons.

Nope.

She was one of them.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

The Bible posted:

That kind of "nice guy" is nearly always the kind that is pissed off that regardless of how "nice" he is to girls, they still refuse to sleep with him, as if he is entitled to that after displaying that behavior. He's only being "nice", to get in their pants, which actually makes him a manipulative and misogynistic rear end in a top hat, which, surprisingly, women aren't too attracted to.

Most genuinely nice guys don't have too much problem attracting women, because they're nice guys, and most girls like that. Some go for the dangerous rear end in a top hat, but at least in my experience, they aren't in the majority.

Even the ones after assholes aren't after the manipulative passive-aggressive "nice guy" assholes.
Wired has probably the best article I've seen summing up the Nice Guy Syndrome. I had a college friend who hit every single one of these points dead on, including seeing women as naturally broken individuals who don’t know what's good for them. (I really wish I could find some of the old chat logs from him...it was like all the worst posts in E/N come to life in one person.) I blame The Game for the rise in this stupid mentality.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned in this thread (yet) is crazy Star Wars fans. I had a friend who, for years, lived life as a jedi apprentice. He dressed the part, looked the part (rocking the haircut), and held a knighting ceremony when he finally graduated from padawan to jedi.

Unfortunately for this thread, he's a hell of a great guy who ended up dating one of my best friends after she got out of a years long abusive relationship. They're still going strong, and last I heard, he obtained jedi priesthood and was officiating wedding ceremonies for the Jedi Church in his free time.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Ugh, nice guys. There's one guy I know who's a bit of a brony who always talks about how "I wish I could find a cool, nerdy girl like you to date!" I told him to come hang out at the comic store, but he only ever came the one time. He'll also bring up my boyfriend sometimes like "So what did you guys do for Valentines? or How are you and your boyfriend doing?" He's not creepy or troublesome, but I can see why why doesn't have a girlfriend.

Farbauti
Dec 8, 2011

Colon V posted:

So, this is no longer just some sad individual trying to garner attention, this is a full-on investment scam.

Well from what I understand, he wasn't taking peoples money directly, just coercing them into spending it.

I got back in touch in the name of science (this thread) and he still claims to be a big shot developer and that it was 'cool that people are talking about me'. I pointed out that the places he was mentioned (in his female persona) was on forums that he himself set up. When pushed on the developer thing, he takes the snooty high-road and says he's independent. Very hip, gently caress big game studios right? When asked about games he's actually released, he just says 'well we have a license from x'. He stopped responding after that. Probably too busy coding his next triple-A title.

Farbauti fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Mar 2, 2012

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

InEscape posted:

:confused: "They didn't wait for her to fall asleep???"

:aaa: ".............."

Hahahah, Mom made her saving throw.

PiratePing
Jan 3, 2007

queck

Nessa posted:

Ugh, nice guys. There's one guy I know who's a bit of a brony who always talks about how "I wish I could find a cool, nerdy girl like you to date!" I told him to come hang out at the comic store, but he only ever came the one time. He'll also bring up my boyfriend sometimes like "So what did you guys do for Valentines? or How are you and your boyfriend doing?" He's not creepy or troublesome, but I can see why why doesn't have a girlfriend.

Frankly I don't trust people who have such a lack of self-awareness that they seriously cannot think of any other possible trait that might drive girls away. 'People don't like me, must be because I'm too good for them. Women must only like guys who are not as good as me' :downs:

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Nessa posted:

Yeah, he isn't looking for "a" nerdy girl, his sights are locked squarely on you, he just hasn't worked up the balls to tell you. Yet.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

CuddleChunks posted:

Hahahah, Mom made her saving throw.

Mom is probably an elf with a natural immunity to magical sleep. You know that makes perfect sense given what her daughter thought she was...

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Nessa posted:

Aww, he wants his chance with you so badly. He only wants you to be happy :allears:

I'm sure :argh: that jerk :argh: you're with couldn't possibly know you the same way that :swoon: he does :swoon:

Octane Diesel
Sep 27, 2011

People are disgusting. My own father and mother are disgusting. You must be disgusting too!

InEscape posted:

Well, at least she didn't put too much in her tea and killed her. Either that or the mom tossed the tea because it tasted funny from the sleeping meds.

Octane Diesel fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Feb 29, 2012

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

hyperhazard posted:

Wired has probably the best article I've seen summing up the Nice Guy Syndrome. I had a college friend who hit every single one of these points dead on, including seeing women as naturally broken individuals who don’t know what's good for them. (I really wish I could find some of the old chat logs from him...it was like all the worst posts in E/N come to life in one person.) I blame The Game for the rise in this stupid mentality.

Let's see what's in the comments section! :v:

quote:

I've found that the "not actually nice" nice guys get more girls than actual nice guys.

Men, don't listen to this crap. Go to sites like Ladder Theory and read books like "The Game" or "The Art of Seduction."

Women like assholes, and the ones that think this is a bad trait will never, ever, admit they like bad boys (while some honest women will admit it). There is an EXTREME minority of women who like actual nice guys, but they are generally either tom boys, ugly but smart, or old--basically, not lust-or-love inducing.

Nice guys? Treat your guy friends well, but practice ripping the heart out of women until you feel nothing, close to a sociopath. You'll be swimming in ladies. Remember, feminism is a stack of horseshit written by liars and lesbians who can do mental gymnastics. Men, if you want a woman, NEVER listen to a mangina or a woman.

I chose the "tom boy" route because it was easier (but I practice hitting on hot girls on the side and cut them loose when I win because I like my tom boy crutch). I watch my girl closely so I know when any threats come into the relationship and I squash them like a bug.

Go watch the "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia" skit "D.E.N.N.I.S. System." It has much more truth to it than this article.
:suicide:

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Stultus Maximus posted:

I refuses to believe anyone would go to Always Sunny for honest relationship advice.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Stultus Maximus posted:

Well that just reminds me of Roy's attempt at being a bastard on a dating website.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RALRPnG9E8Y

(The IT Crowd)

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Spiffo posted:

Aww, he wants his chance with you so badly. He only wants you to be happy :allears:

I'm sure :argh: that jerk :argh: you're with couldn't possibly know you the same way that :swoon: he does :swoon:

Also "I would take you to this cool Asian restaurant, but I should let your boyfriend do that."

He thinks he's being subtle!

Though he hasn't said anything remotely negative about you at all. I get the impression that he's "biding his time" until I'm single again. He'll probably be waiting a while.

Funny thing is, if I was single, I would probably date him. But then I would dump him for being clingy and spineless.

chokeandstroke
Jun 4, 2011

Wandering Knitter posted:

I refuses to believe anyone would go to Always Sunny for honest relationship advice.

Holy crap, those comments in Wired totally missed the point of the IASIP episode! People are supposed to look at that episode and realize how sleazy and manipulative the D.E.N.N.I.S system is and how there is no way in hell that a healthy relationship can come out of it. Not to mention that Dennis' approach likely only works b/c of his good looks and that anyone else trying to pull that poo poo is going to fall flat on their faces like any other PUA.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

Stultus Maximus posted:

Oh please oh please let those be trolls.
Please. :cripes:

Nessa posted:

Ugh, nice guys. There's one guy I know who's a bit of a brony who always talks about how "I wish I could find a cool, nerdy girl like you to date!"
I went on a first date with a fun guy like that, after finally giving in to his "courting." He chose dinner at a Chinese take-out place. We ate at one of the two tables, making stilted small-talk underneath the romantic glow of the flickering OPEN sign.

When we went to the counter to pay, he asked for separate checks.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
I've gone on a few of dates with attractive women who cannot shut the gently caress up about games and nerd culture and who seem like they've completely invested every part of their person into thinking that consuming media makes them a special snowflake and a part of something greater. Jumping that line between having a hobby and having that hobby dictate your identity. That's what I took away from the stories in this thread. That's where Denise lost it and I cannot think of a sadder, more pathetic existence.

As for people just waiting by the wayside of friendship for "his chance," is it the way they go about it-- pretending that they're friends and being dishonest about their feelings-- that makes you upset? I've had friends that I've wanted to fool around with. Sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't. When it doesn't, we're still friends afterward unless the overture made it uncomfortable and they don't want to be friends anymore. I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with wanting to fool around with friends while still being just friends. Or is the problem that they're just ugly and not attractive, and if an attractive person acted the same way it would be ok or even welcome?

InEscape
Nov 10, 2006

stuck.

Blinkman987 posted:

As for people just waiting by the wayside of friendship for "his chance," is it the way they go about it-- pretending that they're friends and being dishonest about their feelings-- that makes you upset? I've had friends that I've wanted to fool around with. Sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't. When it doesn't, we're still friends afterward unless the overture made it uncomfortable and they don't want to be friends anymore. I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with wanting to fool around with friends while still being just friends. Or is the problem that they're just ugly and not attractive, and if an attractive person acted the same way it would be ok or even welcome?

Yeah, as I said above, it's that these guys don't actually LIKE women, they don't WANT to be your friend. They want to be your boyfriend. They assume all your other boyfriends are "jerks". They don't understand why you keep seeing them as a friend only. They consider "friend" to be a bad thing, and honestly, they aren't your friend if they're just pretending so they can get into your pants. As much as it blows to have someone stop talking to you once you tell them you're not dtf or whatever, it's better than a guy who silently holds all your relationships against you and resents you for not gettin' with him. If I make a friend I wanna be his friend. If we're both single and attracted to each other and something happens then hooray, but I want to be friends first, and not just "friends" as some front to a different end.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Blinkman987 posted:

Oh look it's our old friend "this would be perfectly fine if they were hot" let's go ahead and just drop that bit at the end right there because it's stupid for reasons I hopefully don't have to explain to you.

That out of the way: It's not just the dishonesty of pretending to be friends when they have bigger intentions, it's also the almost invariable attempts to undermine the existing relationship. In Nessa's case, he's got to keep reassuring her that he's a really great guy, that he would take her out to this place she wants to go, that she can trust him with anything she needs. He'd always be there for her, so if she ever doubts her relationship, she could go "well what if...?" He's basically trying to plant seeds in hopes that he can reap them later. Unlike your example, there are no overtures.

I mean look at this:

Nessa posted:

Also "I would take you to this cool Asian restaurant, but I should let your boyfriend do that."

Actually, I had it all wrong... Nessa, this is truly the man for you. Leave now, go to him! Have your Asian food, but goddammit LIVE, WOMAN! LIVE!~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Blinkman987 posted:

Or is the problem that they're just ugly and not attractive, and if an attractive person acted the same way it would be ok or even welcome?
Oh for gently caress's sake not this poo poo again. No, it's because they're being your "friend" purely and simply to get in your pants. There's all the difference in the world between that and being friends with someone while also thinking they're kind of fuckable and if something happened that wouldn't be a bad thing.

• Locked thread