Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Cowcaster posted:

What I want to know is why a jiang shi decided to marry a half fire elemental.

Probably because the elemental was, well, really h--NO WE'RE NOT DOING THIS

Probably because he saw in her something that really spa... something that ign... something that kindl... god damnit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Let's just say he's gonna have a hard time earning that World's Greatest Dad mug.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

have y'all posted this yet :

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
So I see that The Court sources their computer equipment from the same place as TV law dramas

ENHANCE

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Brannock posted:

Anthony Carver, the comic's ultimate villain.

The static in the speech bubble, the chapter title and the shock and desperate attempt to track him down on the part of all the adults nearby gives off a super villain vibe. Dr. Wily-ish (so he is responsible for boxbot!)

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Well, at least next chapter will be focused on Zimmy so we have more sadness to look forward to.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

Cowcaster posted:

What I want to know is why a jiang shi decided to marry a half fire elemental.

She was hot.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
I like how Tea-san can't even step foot in this thread right now. He'd either have to say absolutely nothing about the story to avoid spoiling where this is going next, or use the most featherlight touch imaginable.

Top marks, Tea-san. :golfclap:

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!
He should use my foolproof method of avoiding spoiling things, which is to say, "What? I haven't read that comic/book! Why are you asking me?"

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

rotinaj posted:

I like how Tea-san can't even step foot in this thread right now. He'd either have to say absolutely nothing about the story to avoid spoiling where this is going next, or use the most featherlight touch imaginable.

Top marks, Tea-san. :golfclap:
It has to be a pain sometimes to know what the next month of comics are and not accidentally reveal anything to your fans.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Soylentbits posted:

She was hot.
That's a very nice :iceburn:

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Fister Roboto posted:

Her hard-working dad just called, and finally, after all these years, Antimony has a chance to save her game.

Tender Child Loins posted:

Hahahaha this is perfect.

I don't get it.

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

Heliotrope posted:

I don't get it.

In Earthbound you save by calling your absentee dad.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I'm still holding out hope that story ends with the healing of the rift between the Court and the Forest :unsmith:

I quite like the motivations of all the characters. Bad Things happen not because of Wizard Hitler, but because people are petty and selfish and refuse to take responsiblity for their actions hurting others (Coyote is unique).

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」
I wonder if Tom will ever bring back up the point where Annie falls off the bridge and Eglamore screams out Surma's name instead of Antimony. http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=120

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Zorak posted:

Or maybe he's trying to find a way to reverse the process that resulted in Annie "stealing" her mother's fire (in essence killing Annie to resurrect her mother) as he only really cared about Surma and his daughter essentially killed her (thought to no fault her own) :unsmigghh:
As someone who only relatively recently binged through GC, this is exactly the impression I've gotten of Carver's character thus far. What little we've seen, at least. I would not be surprised at all if he were the "main villain" of this story.

Idunn
Apr 30, 2011

That's it?
My only problem with the whole "Carver is the ultimate villain" theory is, well, why would he have a child in the first place? Everyone knew what would happen to Surma if she had a child. I really don't see his story being "I wanted her to have an abortion but she refused".

Personally I think he's just so emotionally repressed and distant he can't deal with her. I'd like to imagine he's still looking for a cure so he can save her even though he failed to find one in time to save her mother. It would make Surma right, too, he did love her, he's just bad at showing it.

Now I'm not excusing him being a deadbeat rear end in a top hat, but I'm sure he has his reasons. It fits with the theme of everyone in Gunnerkrigg feeling their actions are justified, no matter how reprehensible.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I seem to recall that Anthony only found out after Antimony was born, when she was already a young child. At which point it would be flat out infanticide and Surma would almost certainly suspect him. (EDIT: It's heavily implied that this is when it happened: http://gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=815 )

I don't think Anthony is the ultimate villain though. But I do think he's going to get a righteous punch in the face at some point, especially if he pretends he did nothing wrong.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Feb 28, 2012

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Fangz posted:

I seem to recall that Anthony only found out after Antimony was born, when she was already a young child. At which point it would be flat out infanticide and Surma would almost certainly suspect him. (EDIT: It's heavily implied that this is when it happened: http://gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=815 )

I don't think Anthony is the ultimate villain though. But I do think he's going to get a righteous punch in the face at some point, especially if he pretends he did nothing wrong.

I'm pretty sure Anthony knew exactly what would happen. He probably thought that he could stop it and save Surma, but obviously that did not happen.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!

Soylentbits posted:

She was hot.

A more... elegant explanation.

I mean, she's PART fire elemental, like maybe 1/512th...

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Dodgeball posted:

Jones' nod in that fifth panel is interesting.
I think the time has come for me to read through the archives again. A lot of details are getting fuzzy.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Dodgeball posted:

So what you're saying is she was more of an old flame.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

Fister Roboto posted:

So what you're saying is she was more of an old flame.

You know I used to think that Anthony looked kind of like an alien. I've since decided that his face was drawn like a moth.

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

Soylentbits posted:

You know I used to think that Anthony looked kind of like an alien. I've since decided that his face was drawn like a moth.

I've seen plenty of sneaky attempts to fill threads with horrible puns, but these have been especially flagrant.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

Idunn posted:

Personally I think he's just so emotionally repressed and distant he can't deal with her. I'd like to imagine he's still looking for a cure so he can save her even though he failed to find one in time to save her mother. It would make Surma right, too, he did love her, he's just bad at showing it.
I refuse to believe that a person would dedicate their life to fixing something wrong with a person they really cared for (and that person happens to be their goddamn DAUGHTER) and still dump them at a boarding school right after her mother died, then make themselves uncontactable even in an emergency. I'm not saying he doesn't love her, but if he does it's not very much. So he either doesn't care for her very much or he's a spineless coward. Given that their conversation just now apparently didn't go along the lines of "I love you so much and am very sorry I couldn't be there for you but aliens were chasing us and I had to put you somewhere safe while I drew them away!!!", those are pretty much the only options left I can think of.

It's not very happy, but he's just a bad dad. I don't think there's a big mystery there and I hope there's not some lame cop-out to try and redeem him later. An awesome cop-out would be acceptable, though.

Torgover
Sep 2, 2006

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I just kind of don't want him to end up a typically terrible deadbeat dad. All we've heard about him in the comic so far has been negative, aside from Annie's lame half-hearted defenses. The sources were Eglamore and Reynardine, both of whom have reason to hate him, and Jones, who was deliberately trying to make Annie angry. It really sparks the contrarian in me, and if I am not completely off the wall regarding how stories work, I'd be willing to bet there is more to it. I have no idea what Tom has up his sleeve, but I really, really hope it's something we're not expecting.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
The secret twist is that Annie's dad is a robot.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Angry Diplomat posted:

Jones is Annie's dad in disguise.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Angry Diplomat posted:

Dr Pepper posted:

Jones is Annie's dad in disguise.

Haha, wow, I haven't heard these ones yet. Fantastic humor there, you guys.

Olivia42 posted:

I'd be willing to bet there is more to it.

I also assume there's a whole lot more to it. Tom's playing with our expectations of seeing the guy as a terrible father, but also at the same time trying to second guess his motives. Things will be a bit more clear when we see more of Anthony's background, even if just a glimpse. I've always found it interesting that while the forest doesn't care about most of the people in the Court, they know his name and who he is, but not because of his connection with Surma.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Feb 29, 2012

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Ironic Twist posted:

I say it was Eglamore's fault. Eglamore did her wrong in some huge way and is now bitter at Anthony for succeeding where he failed.
Well, Surma does say that all he had to do was to just be there. He probably threw himself in his training because he thought it was Important. Then, when Surma called him out on it, he probably brushed it off, or worse, flat out told her the training was Important and silly relationship things could wait. Surma doesn't seem like the type of person who would take well to being patronized or dismissed out of hand.

Fangz posted:

Someone working super hard to save his daughter could phone some time, or at least leave a goddamn message, or say a goodbye.
:geno: By expending all my time and effort to find a solution to my daughter's situation, I am already demonstrating my love for her. Any further declarations would be redundant and a waste of time, of which we have precious little. :geno:

Anthony being somewhere on the autism spectrum might explain a few things.

qa6
Jul 26, 2006

I'll tell ya how I been!
I BIN JUNK!
I just have to say, I really like the first panel in today's page. It immediately gets across the tense vibe in the room and how all three grown-ups are reacting, without any dialogue or expressions.

Eglamore's has to be the best, with the untucked shirt and angry gesture plus Kat's slightly aghast look at him. Oh Eglamore.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Tupperwarez posted:

:geno: By expending all my time and effort to find a solution to my daughter's situation, I am already demonstrating my love for her. Any further declarations would be redundant and a waste of time, of which we have precious little. :geno:

Anthony being somewhere on the autism spectrum might explain a few things.
Maybe he's part ice elemental.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

qa6 posted:

I just have to say, I really like the first panel in today's page. It immediately gets across the tense vibe in the room and how all three grown-ups are reacting, without any dialogue or expressions.

Eglamore's has to be the best, with the untucked shirt and angry gesture plus Kat's slightly aghast look at him. Oh Eglamore.

I agree with this. So many cartoonists would have tried to do this with dialogue, but the body language of the characters gives you all the information you need.

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh

idonotlikepeas posted:

I agree with this. So many cartoonists would have tried to do this with dialogue, but the body language of the characters gives you all the information you need.

Case in point. Ouch.

Elftor
Jan 10, 2003
Not that big an issue, eh Annie?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

My expression right now is just :ohdear: and :stare: combined. Jeez, Annie!

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
I'm finding the Donlan's behavior very interesting. Why is he the one to deal with an Annie who looks like she may melt down very soon? Based on his body language from the past two panels I'd guess he knows something about what Annie's father has been up to.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah, I find it curious that it's Mr Donlan being left with her. Of the adult gang, he's the one we've seen least of (besides the obvious).

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Always did like Donald. Apparently he can communicate nonverbally with Anja? Mysterious guy. And perceptive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?

MikeJF posted:

Yeah, I find it curious that it's Mr Donlan being left with her. Of the adult gang, he's the one we've seen least of (besides the obvious).
Yeah, even in these two pages he's been shown in panel as a kind of faceless man in the background. I've never thought about the Mysteries of Donlan, but here he is being all perceptive and commanding. So good one springing that on me, Tom.