Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?

GlazedMcGuffin posted:

?

I wonder if the guy that designed the busa reads the internet and softly weeps to himself whenever he sees poo poo like that.

An absolute marvel of motorcycle engineering...

turned into...spiderbike...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

invision posted:

I wonder if the guy that designed the busa reads the internet and softly weeps to himself whenever he sees poo poo like that.

An absolute marvel of motorcycle engineering...

turned into...spiderbike...

You could have left that second last line by itself for a great witticism, or do i have the wrong comic book house?

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!

Marv Hushman posted:

I actually have a vfr 750, thank you very much! But I'll never do it, I'd get laughed at :(

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

Nitramster posted:

I actually have a vfr 750, thank you very much! But I'll never do it, I'd get laughed at :(

Possibly by your contemporaries, but the classic rock boomers would be throwing the goat and fumbling with their camera phones at least 3 times per commute. TELL ME you don't want the mullet and menopausal groupie love...

Deliverator's bike looks fantastic, and this also seems like a nice low-tech idea if you have an older bike with subpar plastics and re-creating the factory scheme is impractical.

Besides, I think this makes it immune to radar and aerial photography. Sort of like pre-production car camo.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Nitramster posted:

Not to mention the middle aged tail...

orthod0ks
Mar 2, 2004
anger is a gift

GlazedMcGuffin posted:

?

Great, now I have to buy a new helmet.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Ponies ate my Bagel posted:

Not to mention the middle aged tail...

30+ tail is the best tail

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

slidebite posted:

30+ tail is the best tail

hell yeah! My wife is 40 I'm 24 and very happy. :D

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

2007 Honda VFR800 ABS :toot: 25th Anniversary Edition :toot:

Picked it up on Friday, loving every minute on it. Anyone have a good trick for getting that sticker off the front fork while keeping the surface clean?

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?

TheScott2K posted:

Picked it up on Friday, loving every minute on it. Anyone have a good trick for getting that sticker off the front fork while keeping the surface clean?

UGH everytime I see one of these it reminds me that I could have had it, but instead bought one in loving basic black instead. Since then I've vowed never to buy another bike in black (or silver or beige).

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

TheScott2K posted:

WD40 works wonders for me on stickers.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
That brings the CA Interceptor Anniversary 'COOL COLOR MODEL' count to two right? God drat I love those bikes. Congrats!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

TheScott2K posted:

:siren: sigtrap parachute account sighting! :siren:

Congrats on the bike...that's the best color scheme!

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Ponies ate my Bagel posted:

WD40 works wonders for me on stickers.

Thanks, I'll give that a shot.

Gnaghi posted:

UGH everytime I see one of these it reminds me that I could have had it, but instead bought one in loving basic black instead. Since then I've vowed never to buy another bike in black (or silver or beige).

Mcqueen posted:

That brings the CA Interceptor Anniversary 'COOL COLOR MODEL' count to two right? God drat I love those bikes. Congrats!

When I first started riding in 08 a friend from work loaned me and my roommate an 84 VF500F to play with. One day at work I asked him if Honda still made Interceptors and he showed me the Cool Color Model, and I wanted one ever since. He's going to come over and take it for a spin, which I'm happy to let him do since it's all his fault. My previously owned bikes are an '03 VZ800 metric V-twin cruiser and a '99 R6 that had been to hell and back. When I finally got on the 07 VFR last week I was amazed at how smooth everything felt. "So THIS is what a suspension is supposed to feel like!" I just hope my fender eliminator gets here quickly, it's like the rear end has a plastic beard.

Z3n posted:

:siren: sigtrap parachute account sighting! :siren:

Congrats on the bike...that's the best color scheme!

They found me! I don't know how, but they found me! Run for it, Marty!!!

deliverator
Aug 8, 2000
you know i'm your Hiro

Gnaghi posted:

Same here. They had a pair of the tricolored and one in silver. I bought the silver one. About a month later I realized my mistake. :doh:

Oh yeah -- the fender eliminator I bought tucked the plate up between the exhausts and angled it down so that the rear tire gave the plate a good whack on a big bump. That was, as you can imagine, not cool. Bending it out of the way made it even less visible. Eventually I cannibalized the remains of the stock fender and built something I could live with that didn't endanger me physically or risk my getting pulled over.

deliverator fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Feb 24, 2012

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

deliverator posted:

Same here. They had a pair of the tricolored and one in silver. I bought the silver one. About a month later I realized my mistake. :doh:

Oh yeah -- the fender eliminator I bought tucked the plate up between the exhausts and angled it down so that the rear tire gave the plate a good whack on a big bump. That was, as you can imagine, not cool. Bending it out of the way made it even less visible. Eventually I cannibalized the remains of the stock fender and built something I could live with that didn't endanger me physically or risk my getting pulled over.

I'm pretty sure I had a popular brand of fender eliminator (Competition Werkes I think) on mine that worked with no probs. Put the plate right in between the stock exhaust. With the luggage rack on I was told I was gonna get pulled over since it obscured it a bit but it never happened.

I actually liked the way the VFRs engine felt more than my Ninja, but the agility on the 636 is worlds ahead. Poor VFR...sitting in my friends garage forever. Not even 2k miles put on it since I traded it for the 636, which I've put around 11k on. I guarantee the chain has never been cleaned and now he's saying the clutch is bad, probably because he's never changed the oil either.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

TheScott2K posted:

Thanks, I'll give that [WD40] a shot.

Try lighter fluid first, less messy (it just evaporates away) and it wont leave a residue.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Gnaghi posted:

I considered selling the SV and picking one of these up for commuting and trips every time I see one. Seems like it would be a great bike.

sigtrap
Apr 14, 2002

MOIST
Yay, another tricolor!

I tried the Werkes fender eliminator, but I felt that it buried the plate too far. Every time I'm going to take a trip and I need to re-install the brackets for my Givi cases, I would have to put the stock fender back anyway, as its metal support bracket is one of the thing the Givi stuff ties into.

Then one day I just left the metal support bracket in place but took away all the plastic. Voila, clean tail without the plate being wedged between the cans. Now I can go from totally clean to having the hard cases on in about 30 minutes.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

TheScott2K posted:

Very nice bike. Congrats. Love that old school Honda tricolor scheme.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

There's one for sale 3 blocks from me :( Too bad he wants 6 grand for it.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
Heat guns work really well for some stickers, maybe a hair dryer would do the trick too.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

hayden. posted:

Heat guns work really well for some stickers, maybe a hair dryer would do the trick too.

Turns out a fingernail under the corner let me pull the sticker right off. Good for the dealer for using non-assholish adhesive. After I did that I installed the newly-arrived Competition Werkes fender eliminator:

(That's dust from the garage floor on the tires, not an incredibly narrow wear band - I don't ride like mootmoot)

It definitely buries it deep back there and I'm gonna have to rubber mallet back a couple millimeters on either side of the plate to get it in there and keep it from scraping, but I think it's a huge improvement over the giant plastic tail beard that came stock. I'm holding on to the stock fender in case I get hard bags down the line - sigtrap's idea of just using the metal part in that case seems pretty smart.

While I had the seat off I looked in the toolkit and found the previous owner's registration and insurance info, so if I find any stupid PO problems I can just show up at his house and demand satisfaction. Remember to pull that stuff out when you sell, kids!

TheScott2K fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Feb 27, 2012

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

TheScott2K posted:

I'm holding on to the stock fender in case I get hard bags down the line - sigtrap's idea of just using the metal part in that case seems pretty smart.

I dunno how it is with Givis, but with the OEM hardbags I just left the comp werkes on there with the bags. The metal bracket by the plate ties the mounting racks on both sides together and just doesn't bolt to the fender. I pushed/knocked the bags around and they seemed solid that way.

BTW I'd just like to note that now that the back is cleaned up if you're not taking passengers the single-side swingarm looks amazing without the passenger pegs.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Gnaghi posted:

BTW I'd just like to note that now that the back is cleaned up if you're not taking passengers the single-side swingarm looks amazing without the passenger pegs.

I've seen it and it does look amazing but I have the ABS version which has a preload knob for the rear shock mounted on the right-side passenger peg piece. Gotta figure out how to have that knob supported with the pegs off.

Niven
Apr 16, 2003
Since this is now apparently now VFR Talk - how much work is it to take off the passenger handles / honda luggage rack frame? I'm betting I probably need the luggage maybe 20% of the time I ride and after looking at these pictures I'm amazed by how much cleaner the bike looks without all that crap tacked on.

Also as a sidenote I've been looking for blanks to fill in the space left if I remove the passenger handles - I've found this which seems to be what I'm looking for, any thoughts? Also I can't entirely remember the setup (and there's ~5 ft of snow blocking the entrance to the shed) - is it necessary to take off the luggage rack if the passenger handles are removed? I feel like I remember them bolting in up there but I could be wrong.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

I don't remember it being to difficult, 15 minutes maybe? It just bolts to the passenger pegs (or peg mounts if you take the pegs off too) and the grab handles, like 10 allen bolts.

I had those covers and yes the handles need to be on for the luggage rack. So when I took it off it was the rack, grab handles and pass pegs all together.

Thelonious
Jul 16, 2005

Craigslist score. '71 and '74 Honda Trail 70. After some googling, I'm thinking $400 for the pair was a pretty good score. A bit rough, but all there.

I think a couple of 140cc Lifan motors might be in my future.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Holy poo poo, Thelonious, haven't seen you in ages. How's it going?
I finally threw away those lawnchairs when I moved

Thelonious
Jul 16, 2005

I'm doin good, you? I seem to recall in my lurking that you've upgraded to a new connie? I'm jealous.

Just turned 40k on the hornet this summer. In July I took a solo ride out west to visit Pimping Giraffe now that he's in San Fran. It was the first touring I've been able to do since we were up in your neck of the woods.

I maintain the chair was defective. My girth has yet to claim another.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Yeah, I still have the ST for the time being too. The 1400GTR is a different beast though.

We should get together. I ride south several times a year but be damned if I can remember your neck of the woods. I plan on going to Utah later this summer. In the neighborhood?

Also, gently caress the chairs. Size had gently caress all to do with anything, they were old and UV rotten. If it was size, I would have done it personally! :)

Thelonious
Jul 16, 2005

Hah. I'm in Michigan, a yooper to be exact. Between work and going back to school, I don't know if the summer will have much traveling in store for me. You still up north where we passed through?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Maybe pm so we don the hijack too bad, but no, I am less than an hour from the US border now in southern alberta. Sorry about the Utah thing!

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

TheScott2K posted:

Turns out a fingernail under the corner let me pull the sticker right off. Good for the dealer for using non-assholish adhesive. After I did that I installed the newly-arrived Competition Werkes fender eliminator:

(That's dust from the garage floor on the tires, not an incredibly narrow wear band - I don't ride like mootmoot)

It definitely buries it deep back there and I'm gonna have to rubber mallet back a couple millimeters on either side of the plate to get it in there and keep it from scraping, but I think it's a huge improvement over the giant plastic tail beard that came stock. I'm holding on to the stock fender in case I get hard bags down the line - sigtrap's idea of just using the metal part in that case seems pretty smart.

While I had the seat off I looked in the toolkit and found the previous owner's registration and insurance info, so if I find any stupid PO problems I can just show up at his house and demand satisfaction. Remember to pull that stuff out when you sell, kids!

That's beautiful.

Newport News-ian?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

That's beautiful.

Newport News-ian?

Portsmuf.

It's in a garage.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Better shot of my bike with the fender eliminator my friend and I made up.

I'm liking the look of it, but I definitely need to black the metal.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Pope Mobile posted:

Better shot of my bike with the fender eliminator my friend and I made up.

I'm liking the look of it, but I definitely need to black the metal.

The only way you'd be able to see the eliminator is by looking under the bike, and the only way that's going to happen is if someone gets run over by you.

"Arggggggggggg-Oh that's a nice fender eliminator, how did you ma-argggggggggh!"

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Odette posted:

"Arggggggggggg-Oh that's a nice fender eliminator, how did you ma-argggggggggh!"

sigtrap please make this the forum description

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

TheScott2K posted:

Portsmuf.

It's in a garage.

Wow that was my next question actually.

Sup? I used to go to CNU. Is Portsmouth still as ghettoscary as I remember it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Wow that was my next question actually.

Sup? I used to go to CNU. Is Portsmouth still as ghettoscary as I remember it?

They tried to gentrify it and failed. All the resteraunts, businesses and condos are getting forclosed on.