Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soundtrack To Mary
Nov 12, 2007

ZOMBY WOOF
What's the best way to compensate someone for using their bathroom as the gastrointestinal equivalent of the Hiroshima bombing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

alnilam posted:

I think maybe per person-mile is actually not as comparable because cars travel a ton more miles than people in a given time. But I see your point.

"Exposure" is the crux of the matter. There are different possible metrics -- per trip, per mile, you can probably think of more -- but none are perfect because different vehicles are used for different things, and while there is some overlap, there are things you would use one vehicle for (say, a plane) that you would never use another one for (say, your feet). The overlap (say, comparing five-mile trips between cars, bikes, and walking) is the only real area where comparisons are valid, if you are trying to calculate different injury rates.

What I'm saying is that there is no single answer because different exposures are valid in different contexts.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

alnilam posted:

I think maybe per person-mile is actually not as comparable because cars travel a ton more miles than people in a given time. But I see your point.

Although the main gist of their study seems to be the idea of "travel exposure," i.e. how much time you are "exposed" to the conditions of being e.g. a pedestrian. So in that case, maybe per [person]*[time travelling] would be a good measure? But maybe that's harder to get data on, since the data probably comes from people responding about how many trips they took by a given mode. So I think the authors of this study are only making inferences about the time-spent-travelling factor, based on some knowledge they might have of how long a typical trip in mode X is.
Hmm, yes that makes sense. Per-person-hour traveling would be interesting (yet hard to assess), but then again so would per-person-mile traveled in a way, since it seems unfair to compare the fatality/accident rate for a 3-block walk to the store "equally" versus a 1000-mile cross country drive (or a 10-mile bike commute to work) despite the differences in time involved in each. The more I think about the various ways to look at this the more complex it gets. I bet some smart statistician can figure out a way to mush it all together into something from which we can make (potentially or even probably unwarranted) sweeping generalizations :) but that's beyond me.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Soundtrack To Mary posted:

What's the best way to compensate someone for using their bathroom as the gastrointestinal equivalent of the Hiroshima bombing?

if it was someone I'm friends with, I'd say sorry, open the window, and not think about it again. I mean, if you plugged up their toilet you should plunge it, otherwise I wouldn't think there needs to be any compensation.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Do Nagasaki.

Soundtrack To Mary
Nov 12, 2007

ZOMBY WOOF

Lawnie posted:

if it was someone I'm friends with, I'd say sorry, open the window, and not think about it again. I mean, if you plugged up their toilet you should plunge it, otherwise I wouldn't think there needs to be any compensation.

What if the recipient is a business?

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

What if the recipient is a business?

What kind of business are we talking here? My local chinese place, or someone's office, or what?

EDIT: i am not an expert on poop etiquette, just want to get that out there

Coffee Wolf
Oct 12, 2007

Mmmmm Banana

Important info to know: are you posting from the bathroom, or is this a past event?

Soundtrack To Mary
Nov 12, 2007

ZOMBY WOOF

Lawnie posted:

What kind of business are we talking here? My local chinese place, or someone's office, or what?

EDIT: i am not an expert on poop etiquette, just want to get that out there

Coffee shop. Near where I live, but I don't go there usually.

Also:

Coffee Wolf posted:

Important info to know: are you posting from the bathroom, or is this a past event?

Past tense.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Coffee shop. Near where I live, but I don't go there usually.

Also:

Past tense.

forget about it entirely. it will be way worse if you go in and are like, "hey there barista, i brought you these spiced almonds because i took a megashit in your toilet last week. have a nice day!"

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010
The earth has music for those who listen.
In grade school I got put in a gifted program, and I remember one of the things they really hammered into us was the whole "right brain vs. left brain" thing, how the left brain was responsible for logical thinking and the right was creative. Many years later somebody told me that this was pretty much made-up, that there are parts of the brain that are used for specific kinds of thinking but the hemispheres as a whole were not specialized that way. Essentially, it was an analogy for explaining different kinds of thinking that somebody took literally.

Anyway, my kid just got accepted in a similar program, and they sent home a folder with their curriculum, and right on the first page it tells how they go into learning all the same left-brain/right-brain stuff I got in the early 80s and learning to categorize things by brain hemispheres is something they spend a lot of time on. I tried to find some information about how this isn't correct online for my wife but so far my searches haven't found anything debunking this, and I'm starting to wonder if maybe I was mislead when I was told it wasn't true. Can anyone point me towards some good articles online about this?

EDIT: I decided to give up on Google and search just Wikipedia, and they had some good stuff about the lateralization of brain function and how pop psychology misunderstands it. Now I'm wondering why gifted programs are still teaching this to kids after 30 years.

ClearAirTurbulence fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Feb 28, 2012

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
No, you're right, it's bullshit, at least in the simplistic version you heard. Wikipedia has a history of the left brain/right brain concept here. The New Scientists had an article about it here.

quote:

EDIT: I decided to give up on Google and search just Wikipedia, and they had some good stuff about the lateralization of brain function and how pop psychology misunderstands it. Now I'm wondering why gifted programs are still teaching this to kids after 30 years.

Here's what I think: the whole right brain/left brain thing is a metaphor for learning and personality traits, which may actually be useful in a teaching context. However, they have no credibility merely as metaphors, so people dress up the concept by scientizing it, locating it as an actual function in the brain, like, for real.

dokmo fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Feb 28, 2012

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled

Ask for a high five

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

ClearAirTurbulence posted:

In grade school I got put in a gifted program, and I remember one of the things they really hammered into us was the whole "right brain vs. left brain" thing, how the left brain was responsible for logical thinking and the right was creative. Many years later somebody told me that this was pretty much made-up, that there are parts of the brain that are used for specific kinds of thinking but the hemispheres as a whole were not specialized that way. Essentially, it was an analogy for explaining different kinds of thinking that somebody took literally.

Anyway, my kid just got accepted in a similar program, and they sent home a folder with their curriculum, and right on the first page it tells how they go into learning all the same left-brain/right-brain stuff I got in the early 80s and learning to categorize things by brain hemispheres is something they spend a lot of time on. I tried to find some information about how this isn't correct online for my wife but so far my searches haven't found anything debunking this, and I'm starting to wonder if maybe I was mislead when I was told it wasn't true. Can anyone point me towards some good articles online about this?

I can't tell you how many times in school and gifted programs the teacher had everyone take tests to say that you're right/left brained, you're a visual/auditory/kinetic learner, you're a myers briggs ABCD type or whatever. It got really annoying, and it struck me as inappropriately reductionist before I even knew that word.

A pro, though: As you guys have been saying, it provides a context for discussing differences in how different people think, learn, behave, etc. I think in particular myers-briggs is kind of interesting to look at the different "categories" and use them as a tool for reflecting on how people are, but I still maintain that it is stupid to take a quiz that tells you what your type is.

Or is it? :crossarms:
What I've been thinking is, maybe educators long ago realized the pros of it (tools for reflecting on behavior/learning styles), but they couldn't get anyone to listen to them drone on about personality types unless they made you personally invested in it. For better or worse, taking a crappy quiz provides a structured way of giving each kid a starting point in how (and why) to think about this stuff; it de-abstracts it a bit.
Maybe. Or maybe the education system is still misguided and takes it too literally.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I got some mail in my mailbox not addressed to me today. It was adressed to a different name at a different house on this street and it appears to be someone's tax refund check so I'm assuming they want to get this piece of mail. The problem is, the address doesn't exist. I live on a short street that only has 9 houses the house number listed simply does not exist.

I was trying to figure out if they transposed a number on the address but the only possible house with those number combinations is my house. I just moved in a month ago and don't know any of the neighbors, how can I get this check to it's rightful owner?

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

FCKGW posted:

I got some mail in my mailbox not addressed to me today. It was adressed to a different name at a different house on this street and it appears to be someone's tax refund check so I'm assuming they want to get this piece of mail. The problem is, the address doesn't exist. I live on a short street that only has 9 houses the house number listed simply does not exist.

I was trying to figure out if they transposed a number on the address but the only possible house with those number combinations is my house. I just moved in a month ago and don't know any of the neighbors, how can I get this check to it's rightful owner?

Mark it as "Return to Sender" and put it back in the mail. They'll get their refund eventually. If you know your postman, you can catch him and tell him he put it in the wrong box and he may recognize the name of the person it belongs to

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

FCKGW posted:

Google the address to see if it pops up in a nearby city, and if it does, write the correct city and zip code and send it off. If not, send it back to the post office with "return to sender / address unknown" on it.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I heard something about a story where Neil Armstrong or someone was at a party, and met a guy who denied the moon landing ever existed. Then Armstrong punches the guy in the face.

Did this really happen? Was it with someone else? Is this all some weird thing I misheard?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Avocados posted:

I heard something about a story where Neil Armstrong or someone was at a party, and met a guy who denied the moon landing ever existed. Then Armstrong punches the guy in the face.

Did this really happen? Was it with someone else? Is this all some weird thing I misheard?

I've seen the video, and if I recall correctly, he's doing an interview with someone else, or on his way from something.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

Avocados posted:

It was Buzz Aldrin, Neil Armstrong is actually a pretty solitary guy and I don't think he even talks about the moon landings outside of the occasional documentary,

Here's a video of the incident in question:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOo6aHSY8hU&t=14s

Emmjay
Aug 3, 2009

if you don't get the job/promotion/salary increase you want, getting your parents to ring me and complain will absolutely change the outcome

alnilam posted:

A pro, though: As you guys have been saying, it provides a context for discussing differences in how different people think, learn, behave, etc. I think in particular myers-briggs is kind of interesting to look at the different "categories" and use them as a tool for reflecting on how people are, but I still maintain that it is stupid to take a quiz that tells you what your type is.

Or is it? :crossarms:
What I've been thinking is, maybe educators long ago realized the pros of it (tools for reflecting on behavior/learning styles), but they couldn't get anyone to listen to them drone on about personality types unless they made you personally invested in it. For better or worse, taking a crappy quiz provides a structured way of giving each kid a starting point in how (and why) to think about this stuff; it de-abstracts it a bit.
Maybe. Or maybe the education system is still misguided and takes it too literally.

I'm accredited to use the MBTI personality inventory and you're kinda close to the truth. The tool was developed based on Jung's theory of personality type and it's original application was to assist with civilian job placement during and post WWII. The theory is that we are all born with certain personality traits and those traits develop over time - MBTI just gives you a framework to understand and best use them.

The problem with it (and all similar tests) is that it is often used in the wrong situations and interpreted and de-briefed poorly so people think feel like they've been boxed/categorized/labelled.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
They seem like interesting ways of thinking about characteristics, though?
Not as a "you're an INTJ go off in a corner and think and never come back" permanent categorization way, but more of a "here, take this test; oh look, it's classified you as INTJ, isn't that interesting? Here's an explanation of what that means and a list of other possibilities, it might be a useful framework for thinking about how you react to situations, and how others might react differently" way. I've taken bunches of tests, because it's fun to see how people construct them and present the result, and to see if I feel I've changed.
I mean, the theory that "people are born with certain personality traits and inevitably develop them over time" is obviously laughable and it's never been presented to me like that. Maybe I've just been super lucky?

Emmjay
Aug 3, 2009

if you don't get the job/promotion/salary increase you want, getting your parents to ring me and complain will absolutely change the outcome

zachol posted:

They seem like interesting ways of thinking about characteristics, though?
Not as a "you're an INTJ go off in a corner and think and never come back" permanent categorization way, but more of a "here, take this test; oh look, it's classified you as INTJ, isn't that interesting? Here's an explanation of what that means and a list of other possibilities, it might be a useful framework for thinking about how you react to situations, and how others might react differently" way. I've taken bunches of tests, because it's fun to see how people construct them and present the result, and to see if I feel I've changed.
I mean, the theory that "people are born with certain personality traits and inevitably develop them over time" is obviously laughable and it's never been presented to me like that. Maybe I've just been super lucky?

Yeah the idea isn't that you use an inventory as an excuse or that it will explain every behaviour in every situation - we are way more complex than that. So, for example, my type description means that I have a natural preference for analytical and logical thinking and generally prefer a good debate to solve a problem. That doesn't mean I can, or should, behave like an argumentative cow and disregard people's feelings or that arguing with others is always appropriate or even that I'll always want to operate that way in every single situation. Just that it's a natural preference. It's best use is to then think 'ok what jobs are likely to take advantage of that natural preference?' etc.

The theory that personality is both genetic and learned is pretty solid. The simplest way to think about it is like handed-dominance. We are born either left or right handed and as we practice and develop our fine motor skills, we become more dextrous. You can use your non-dominant hand to write but it will generally feel awkward and your writing will be messy. MBTI approaches personality type in a similar way - you can use non-dominant personality traits and do so successfully but you're more likely to feel stressed.

More than happy to answer questions about this tool but should probably do so elsewhere (I have PM's or AIM details are in my profile if you want to chat about it some more).

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Buh, I phrased that poorly. I get what you're saying.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

FCKGW posted:

It most likely belongs to one of your immediate neighbors; either the mail person missed it the house before & so it wound up with the next person's mail (yours), or they picked up one too many envelopes at your house & gave it to you when it belongs to the next person on the route.

Seriously, though, meet your neighbors, you never know when you'll need something they have and it's good to at least know each other's names when you make such a request.

BART IM PISS
Aug 4, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
If I have a 360ml bottle of Sochu, Korean rice wine, and its 19.5%...how many beers is that?

Beers also being in similar sized bottles (usually 375ml), and around 4.5%

BART IM PISS fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Feb 28, 2012

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
19.5% of 360 ml is 70.2 ml alcohol.

4.5% of 375 ml is 16.875 ml alcohol.

70.2 / 16.875 gives 4.15ish, so your soju is around 4.15 bottles of beer.

BART IM PISS
Aug 4, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

tarepanda posted:

19.5% of 360 ml is 70.2 ml alcohol.

4.5% of 375 ml is 16.875 ml alcohol.

70.2 / 16.875 gives 4.15ish, so your soju is around 4.15 bottles of beer.

Awesome. Thank you for working this out.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Captain Novolin posted:

It was Buzz Aldrin, Neil Armstrong is actually a pretty solitary guy and I don't think he even talks about the moon landings outside of the occasional documentary,

Here's a video of the incident in question:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOo6aHSY8hU&t=14s

Buzz was on Letterman or Leno or one of those big time late night talk shows and he mentioned this incident. After the host asked him what he did in response to the reporter he got a gigantic ovation when he bluntly said "I punched him in the face."

It was amazing :patriot:

Long Wang
Aug 28, 2006

The miranda warning is You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say or do can and will be held against you in a court of law.

Why do they have the "and will" bit? I understand that if I said something that the police can use it against me in court, for example if I made a confession.

But not everything I say could help them build a case against me. If I said something like "I have a cold at the moment so I just need to blow my nose" I could hardly imagine the police bringing that up in court in a way that makes me look guilty of a crime.

So it's not true that anything I said will be held against me, just that it can be. "can and will" could be replaced with "can". So why has no one else picked this error up and corrected it?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Mak0rz posted:

Buzz was on Letterman or Leno or one of those big time late night talk shows and he mentioned this incident. After the host asked him what he did in response to the reporter he got a gigantic ovation when he bluntly said "I punched him in the face."

It was amazing :patriot:

Haha, I didn't even know there was video evidence of the punching. Thanks for the answers guys :)

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.
Anything that you say is fair game to be used against you. Anything that can be used against you will be used against you. The Miranda rights version is a little less verbose, and gets the same point across. (Shut up and lawyer up.)

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
How come salt water crocodiles are larger than nile crocodiles? Nile crocs seem to be able to take down large prey like wildebeest and even small hippos, yet I'm guessing the largest prey a salt water croc has to face is a big kangaroo? Do they range as far north as to meet water buffalo and cattle? I tried googling this but either I suck at it or there isn't really anything, which is surprising.

I just assumed nile crocs would need to be larger to tackle bigger prey.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
Is there a website like kickstarter where you ask for money, but instead of it going toward a creative project it just goes to you being able to live reasonably. Like for people who have a ton of say, medical bills, and are just having a hard time keeping it together despite doing all the extra work they can?

It's a long shot I know but that's what the stupid questions thread is for I guess.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
I think WePay lets you do that. You'll have to pass the link around to a lot of people to get many donations, though.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

Huntersoninski posted:

Is there a website like kickstarter where you ask for money, but instead of it going toward a creative project it just goes to you being able to live reasonably. Like for people who have a ton of say, medical bills, and are just having a hard time keeping it together despite doing all the extra work they can?

It's a long shot I know but that's what the stupid questions thread is for I guess.
I'm sorry if it sounds harsh but if it's for you, you're going to have to do a lot of work to justify why you deserve a donation more than many, many other causes.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
^^ Oh, I know it, I'm only joking. Just having one of those "fridge and bank account are empty, payday's not til friday, new round of bills came in and insurance isn't covering them" kind of days, after a series of "I'm working 15 hours a day and have nothing to show for it" kind of days. I'm not so bad off enough that I'd get or deserve any charity, it's just lovely.

concerned mom posted:

How come salt water crocodiles are larger than nile crocodiles?
I just assumed nile crocs would need to be larger to tackle bigger prey.

It could just be their environment, or the amount of room they have to spread out?

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Is there a way to block texts from a specific number without paying my cell phone provider a monthly fee? I use AT&T and the phone isn't a smartphone if that helps.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

Long Wang posted:

But not everything I say could help them build a case against me. If I said something like "I have a cold at the moment so I just need to blow my nose" I could hardly imagine the police bringing that up in court in a way that makes me look guilty of a crime.

An alcohol crime "so you had a cold but you still went out drinking anyway, your honor this is the kind of problem drinker that..."

a sex crime "so you had a cold but you still went out sex criming anyway, your honor this is the kind of person with such a sex crime problem that..."

a murder crime "we got dna from your dried snot at the scene you basically told us to look for."

anything else "so you had an unknown possibly deadly foreign illness but you went out anyway willfully risking others becoming infected, patriot act says gitmo. cockmeat sandwich time"

Centzon Totochtin posted:

Is there a way to block texts from a specific number without paying my cell phone provider a monthly fee? I use AT&T and the phone isn't a smartphone if that helps.

If it's something you can load ringtones onto and assign per caller you could just put something silent on for the offender. Doesn't block but it keeps you from being bothered. Also if you can set some kind of auto respond for a specific caller you could have it auto respond with something like "The at&t wireless customer you are trying to reach has an inactive account or has traveled outside the coverage area. Message ED-209" they might believe it and give up.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Feb 29, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

Wagonburner posted:

If it's something you can load ringtones onto and assign per caller you could just put something silent on for the offender. Doesn't block but it keeps you from being bothered. Also if you can set some kind of auto respond for a specific caller you could have it auto respond with something like "The at&t wireless customer you are trying to reach has an inactive account or has traveled outside the coverage area. Message ED-209" they might believe it and give up.
Sprint has spoiled me because I can go to my online account and block an unlimited amount of phone numbers. They also allow unlimited wired tethering. All of which is free.