Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.

Altoid posted:

I tried this and it worked kinda. My phone is now on 5.0.1 and 01.59.00. But no Cydia... I see a post after that says "Simply restart redsn0w, plug your phone in, put it in DFU mode and press Jailbreak. :-)" but won't that lose my unlock baseband?

I'm really confused. If it makes a difference all I have is an unactivated sim in there. Should I take the sim card from my 4s and use it to activate? Or whats up? It let me get to the springboard but there's no Cydia icon. I even tried a spotlight search.

The baseband gets upgraded during the update to 5.0.1, not the actual jailbreak process. All the custom IPSW did was get you to 5.0.1 while keeping that baseband intact. You're still not jailbroken. Yes, you just put it in DFU mode again and hit Jailbreak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Altoid
May 14, 2002

frumpsnake posted:

The baseband gets upgraded during the update to 5.0.1, not the actual jailbreak process. All the custom IPSW did was get you to 5.0.1 while keeping that baseband intact. You're still not jailbroken. Yes, you just put it in DFU mode again and hit Jailbreak.

Oh ok, but since I have to go into DFU mode I thought that you need to use a IPSW to get back out at some point? Should I go into extra-> Select IPSW and make sure it's the NO_BB? Or is there no need to do that?

All the sites/videos gloss over this point/part... Just don't want to lose unlock.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Altoid posted:

Oh ok, but since I have to go into DFU mode I thought that you need to use a IPSW to get back out at some point? Should I go into extra-> Select IPSW and make sure it's the NO_BB? Or is there no need to do that?

All the sites/videos gloss over this point/part... Just don't want to lose unlock.

No. You will not lose your 1.59 BB unless you install a stock IPSW. All you are doing now is letting redsnow perform the actual jailbreak process.

simplesnatch
Sep 6, 2011

simplesnatch posted:

I just purchased this Brookstone iPhone pocket projector- http://www.brookstone.com/pocket-projector-for-iphone-4

It will not play anything from GPlayer unfortunately. I was poking around on Cydia to see if something would allow for playback, but did not find anything that would work. Has anybody had any luck with this?

YouTube videos on iPhone
Also, has anybody found a work around for the YouTube videos that are set to not playback on iPhone? I searched around and saw User Agent Faker but it did not make a difference. Am I missing something here?

Thanks!

"display out" 1.6.6 worked perfectly for 5.01 on 4s if anybody is looking for a solution.

- I still haven't found a YouTube workaround for the files that aren't allowed for mobile play back. Any ideas?

gypsyshred
Oct 23, 2006
I have a 4s on 5.01, jailbroken. My phone app has decided to disappear half the time. It still keeps the slot open in the bottom launch board, and will pop up randomly, but when its gone, you can't click on it. You can go to the background switcher and its active there. I've tried rebooting it, but the issue persists. Short of a restore, anything else I can do to fix it?

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.

simplesnatch posted:

"display out" 1.6.6 worked perfectly for 5.01 on 4s if anybody is looking for a solution.

- I still haven't found a YouTube workaround for the files that aren't allowed for mobile play back. Any ideas?

I looked into the YouTube annoyance a couple months back and came to the same conclusion as you. UserAgent Faker didn't do anything, and that was the only option I saw available.

Altoid
May 14, 2002

frumpsnake posted:

Thanks, got a bit paranoid. But, did it this morning. Everything is perfect!

Oneiros posted:

No. You will not lose your 1.59 BB unless you install a stock IPSW. All you are doing now is letting redsnow perform the actual jailbreak process.

Thanks as well!

diremonk
Jun 17, 2008

Is MyWi the only tethering app that supports Bluetooth? I'm trying to tether my cars stereo to my iPhone 4. I have MyWi running with Bluetooth tethering enabled but I get nothing. But it works just fine with sending contacts or music over the Bluetooth connection.

All the guides say to use the tethering hot spot, but I'd rather not spend the extra cash per month as well as lose my unlimited data plan.

Any ideas or suggestions?

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

diremonk posted:

Is MyWi the only tethering app that supports Bluetooth? I'm trying to tether my cars stereo to my iPhone 4. I have MyWi running with Bluetooth tethering enabled but I get nothing. But it works just fine with sending contacts or music over the Bluetooth connection.

All the guides say to use the tethering hot spot, but I'd rather not spend the extra cash per month as well as lose my unlimited data plan.

Any ideas or suggestions?
TetherMe says it does Bluetooth though I've never tried it.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
That Fakeclockup app absolutely annihilated my battery. Just got rid of it and it's already back to normal. It's a cool gimmick but I don't miss it at all.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Godinster posted:

That Fakeclockup app absolutely annihilated my battery. Just got rid of it and it's already back to normal. It's a cool gimmick but I don't miss it at all.

According to a bunch of people in this thread the problem doesn't exist. I'm glad I'm not the only one seeing this problem.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
The only thing that FakeClockUp does is speed up animations. It isn't overclocking the CPU or anything like that, so it isn't going to drain your battery.

I think a lot of the misperception when it comes to jailbreaking and battery stems from people installing tweaks and then playing with their phone a shitload to see all the pretty new tweaks; this in turn drains the battery faster and makes them think the jailbreak is causing it, when it's just a result of increased usage.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

maduin posted:

The only thing that FakeClockUp does is speed up animations. It isn't overclocking the CPU or anything like that, so it isn't going to drain your battery.

I think a lot of the misperception when it comes to jailbreaking and battery stems from people installing tweaks and then playing with their phone a shitload to see all the pretty new tweaks; this in turn drains the battery faster and makes them think the jailbreak is causing it, when it's just a result of increased usage.

I literally only had FaceClockUp and BiteSMS installed. I removed the former and my battery increased from 3/4 of a day back to a day and a half. I'm not ruling out a bad install or whatever else but I had FCU for well over three weeks.

I'm also definitely aware that it doesn't overclock anything so it didn't make sense to me, just sharing my experience. I'd be willing to give it another shot but it seemed pretty gimmicky to me above all.

Nairbo fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Feb 26, 2012

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
FakeClockUp does hit the battery life. But, if you have a 4S, you don't really need FakeClockUp anyways..

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

89 posted:

FakeClockUp does hit the battery life. But, if you have a 4S, you don't really need FakeClockUp anyways..

FakeClockUp just tweaks animations - unless you're *constantly* playing animations, how can it have any impact on battery?
Perhaps it was a bad install, or maybe a combination of that plus some other app causes drain.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.
Views in iOS have a predefined animation durations. All FakeClockUp does is multiply the animation time by whatever option you choose. It's not going to have a big impact on battery at all.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Obviously FakeClockUp is just a really bad name. (or a really good one) Either way, it's misleading people into thinking that it has any significant impact on the battery, which it does not.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

89 posted:

The animations are the same on a 4 and a 4S so it should have exactly the same effect on both :confused:

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
I can't believe how many people are confused by what fakeclock up does.

It's just speeding up menu transitions and animations. Like the effect when you minimize windows in OSX. In what possible way can this effect your battery? I've had it for a month now and noticed no difference.

So, using the same logic, everyone who has a windows or mac laptop should slow all the OS animations down as much as possible. That should give you extra battery.

89 posted:

But, if you have a 4S, you don't really need FakeClockUp anyways..

:psyduck:

Dude, the OS animations are exactly the same speed on all iOS devices. fake clock up is equally useful on any iOS device that can run it. It has nothing to do with your phone having a faster or slower cpu. It's an effect, people. Things may seem quicker because animations are delaying certain screens from popping up sooner, but it's not like it makes your phone actually load things faster.

To clarify: In the situations where menu animations are the literally the only thing slowing you down (such as waiting for a folder you clicked on in your safari bookmarks to complete its sliding animation and open), fake clock up will make that folder animation quicker so you get to see the contents faster. It is not over clocking your phone or making things load faster. I don't get how telling an animation to be say, 250ms long instead of 750ms long would hit the battery any worse than the other way around. Actually, you'd figure percieved (important word here) battery life would be worse with longer animations because you spend more time waiting for animations to complete.

I'm no programmer though so perhaps there is a way a program can be written inefficiently to affect battery life. Other than that I can't see a way it can hurt your battery life.

Damo fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Feb 27, 2012

RedHasSandles
Mar 24, 2008

Woah dudes!
Are there any apps that will let you use a wiimote or other controller to simulate touch screen touches? Like something that will make the iphone think I touched an onscreen button when I press A or something? Would be great to play games with a real controller instead of the on screen buttons. I don't know if that would even be possible, can an app run in the background like that?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I've had a jailbroken 4S since Absinthe hit. Because of the hubbub recently over battery life, I installed FakeClockUp. I can't yet say for sure...(tomorrow will be a better test) but I did seem to drain a noticeable bit faster today.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.

Damo posted:

I'm no programmer though so perhaps there is a way a program can be written inefficiently to affect battery life.
The code is quite literally nothing more than (duration=duration*0.xx)

code:
%hook CAAnimation
- (void)setDuration:(NSTimeInterval)duration
{
  if (FCEditing && disableOnEdit) {
    %orig(duration);
  } else {
    %orig(duration * durMulti);
  }
}
%end
)

It just hooks into any existing CoreAnimation and overrides the duration variable sent to the standard setDuration method with its own.

Arrowsmith
Feb 6, 2006

SAGANISTA!

Damo posted:

Other than that I can't see a way it can hurt your battery life.
To get pedantic, I have my 3GS set at x10.0 [I really don't give a poo poo about iOS' "pretty animations"] and certain animations are crazy fast, for example the spinning "loading" graphic that will show up at the top of the screen from time to time. I am of the belief that a property of the display is that changing a pixel takes more power than a pixel that doesn't change on refresh. Therefore, that sort of rapid animation changes pixels way more often than the stock rate of x1.0.

The effect on battery life might be negligible, but I think intrinsic to the process. Of course this could be tested and obviated by including a x0.0 setting, eliminating animations altogether. In theory this should also increase battery life.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Arrowsmith posted:

I am of the belief that a property of the display is that changing a pixel takes more power than a pixel that doesn't change on refresh.

Making poo poo up doesn't make your argument sound

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
FakeClockUp has freed me up to be some exceedingly efficient that my battery usage suffers from the sheer amount of usage I am now able to take advantage of that was previously wasted.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Is there a way for FakeClockUp to specify which animations you want sped up?

I cannot stand that ridiculous wobble.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Kazy posted:

Is there a way for FakeClockUp to specify which animations you want sped up?

I cannot stand that ridiculous wobble.

It does have a humorous effect in Hero Academy.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Godinster posted:

I literally only had FaceClockUp and BiteSMS installed. I removed the former and my battery increased from 3/4 of a day back to a day and a half. I'm not ruling out a bad install or whatever else but I had FCU for well over three weeks.

I'm also definitely aware that it doesn't overclock anything so it didn't make sense to me, just sharing my experience. I'd be willing to give it another shot but it seemed pretty gimmicky to me above all.

I installed 5 Icon Dock and noticed that my phone was down to 60% battery life because it sat in an office with bad reception all day. See how that stuff works? If the phone's battery life can fluctuate wildly just based on how busy the towers are or how good the cell reception is then you probably shouldn't talk about how a program that swaps "1.5" for "1.0" in graphics.cfg is ruining your battery life.

It's annoying because there's lots of internet people who will say over and over again that jailbreaking alone will ruin the battery life of your phone, and when you jump to conclusions over a single app it can actually harm the developer when people read it.

Vertigus fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Feb 28, 2012

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
More anecdotal evidence! I've got all this installed on my 4S and have not noticed any change in battery life at all:

*SBSettings
    *Activator
    *5 Icon Dock
    *BiteSMS
    *3G Unrestrictor 5
    *WeatherIcon
    *AppStat
    *FakeCarrier
    *NoNewIsGoodNews
    *StayOpened
    *Barrel

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006

Arrowsmith posted:

I am of the belief that a property of the display is that changing a pixel takes more power than a pixel that doesn't change on refresh.

"Extraordinary claims demand extraordinary levels of evidence if they are to be believed." -Carl Sagan
/

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
I had a problem the other day unjailbreaking my iPad 2 on iOS 5. The way I solved the problem was 2-fold:

1. I had to load the iPad in DFU mode.
2. I had to switch computers (from my PC to my Mac) in order to successfully reset my iPad.

I read somewhere that the jailbreak app (or some other app) changes the host file in Windows and that's what prevents iTunes from verifying the restore? I believe step 1 is required, but for step 2, what could other people do to ensure that their devices correctly restore?

Arrowsmith
Feb 6, 2006

SAGANISTA!
Hey I'm sure I'm probably wrong, I just remember reading something to the effect that one difference between LCD and CRT screens is that CRTs have to refresh every pixel on every redraw, and LCDs don't have to switch a pixel that doesn't need to be changed. It's probably an oversimplification or just faulty memory on my part. Just trying to contribute to the conversation is all.

bonzaisushi
Nov 15, 2003

doo dee doo dmt, lsd doo dmt, lsd doo dmt...
This new Deck tweak that is about to be released looks incredible.

http://iphone-developers.com/news/new-jailbreak-tweak-deck-brings-a-swipe-out-side-bar-to-your-springboard

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

bonzaisushi posted:

http://iphone-developers.com/news/new-jailbreak-tweak-deck-brings-a-swipe-out-side-bar-to-your-springboard
Seriously, if awesome stuff like this isn't in the next version of iOS I will be very disappointed with Apple.

bonzaisushi
Nov 15, 2003

doo dee doo dmt, lsd doo dmt, lsd doo dmt...

Question Mark Mound posted:

Seriously, if awesome stuff like this isn't in the next version of iOS I will be very disappointed with Apple.

Haha, sadly i doubt we will see something like this from apple. Hell they didn't add sbs settings like functionality to notification center when they easily could have.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Are there really many other big features left to any potential iOS 6 other than stuff like this, though? Apple must surely pay attention to jailbreak development.

TheZodiac
Feb 2, 2004

gypsyshred posted:

I have a 4s on 5.01, jailbroken. My phone app has decided to disappear half the time. It still keeps the slot open in the bottom launch board, and will pop up randomly, but when its gone, you can't click on it. You can go to the background switcher and its active there. I've tried rebooting it, but the issue persists. Short of a restore, anything else I can do to fix it?

I had this problem yesterday, threw SBSettings goto Power then choose safe mode
let it do it's thing, then hit restart ..

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Question Mark Mound posted:

Are there really many other big features left to any potential iOS 6 other than stuff like this, though? Apple must surely pay attention to jailbreak development.

A more thorough integration of Siri with the OS and 3rd party applications is where some of the jailbreak developers are heading and I'm sure Apple will eventually follow.

One thing I'd like to see is the slow integration of active 3rd party apps into the UI. Like when you double tap home then swipe left for the music controls? I wouldn't mind that being replaced with the Pandora controls (thumbs up/down, skip) when I'm using that. I'd love to see Navigation apps overtake the lock screen when it's being used. Things like that.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

bonzaisushi posted:

Just watching that has drained my battery considerably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

Xenomorph posted:

Just watching that has drained my battery considerably.

Hahahahahaha this is the best post.

• Locked thread