Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

If it's failing a PAR repair, then there's nothing you can do.

Why didn't you just use the built-in par reparing in SABnzbd?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer

td4guy posted:

If it's failing a PAR repair, then there's nothing you can do.

Why didn't you just use the built-in par reparing in SABnzbd?

I did use it, it didn't report any error. On 25 files I downloaded, I have 21 corrupt ones, so yeah.

Danforth05
Jun 11, 2011

Why is mice sech cowards?

Olivil posted:

I did use it, it didn't report any error. On 25 files I downloaded, I have 21 corrupt ones, so yeah.

Yeah, I'd say that's a lost cause, unfortunately.

NVaderJ
Oct 27, 2003

OH YEAH? I'M FROM DETROIT(s suburbs)!
How long does it take for a new blocknews account to become active?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

I entered in my information into SAB right after I opened the account and it worked, maybe 30 seconds?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

kri kri posted:

I entered in my information into SAB right after I opened the account and it worked, maybe 30 seconds?

Same here, by the time I got it into SAB it was working just fine.

Posts Only Secrets
Jan 22, 2005
Breaking the NDA...

NVaderJ posted:

How long does it take for a new blocknews account to become active?

In the past mine has taken up to 30 minutes.

NVaderJ
Oct 27, 2003

OH YEAH? I'M FROM DETROIT(s suburbs)!
After two hours I sent a message to support, and now it's working.

NerdPolice
Jun 18, 2005

GINYU FORCE RULES
Just burned through my second 200 GB blocknews plan and wondering if I should get an unlimited plan for the time being. I sort of need longer retention currently but wondering

a) what's the best bang for the buck
b) who the hell should I avoid, since there always seems to be one provider having issues

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011
How long did it take you to burn through it?

NerdPolice
Jun 18, 2005

GINYU FORCE RULES

Sperg Victorious posted:

How long did it take you to burn through it?
Nearly a year, however I would say 90% of that was in the last 45 days and I plan to download at least another 150 gigs in the next 30 days.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Quoted from OP:

quote:

Do you download less than 92Gb/mo?
You want a block plan. Best deal for these is Blocknews which has a 200Gb block plan for $21.59. If you download less than 92Gb/mo these blocks come out cheaper than $10 per month, and the blocks won't expire. This is a also pretty decent way of testing if you really want to do this whole Usenet thing, especially since if you're really unsure you can pull it down as far as 5Gb for $2.75, and incredibly low barrier for entry.

If you're planning on exceeding 92GB/month on a consistent basis, then get one of the unlimited plans.

EDIT: The OP was made some time ago, so have a look at the block plans ... work out some $/GB math.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Just spotted this in my Spam folder, for the ones of people that care:

Newzbin2 posted:

In case you haven't been to the site for a while, the new domain name is newzbin2.es.

Please change your bookmarks.

Newzbin has left the American Internet. It just ceased to use the newzbin.com domain and moved to newzbin2.es.

We regret the need to do this but, thanks to the retards in the US Government and the MPA, a '.com' address is no longer viable. Really, any domain controlled by the US government proxy Verisign isn't viable.

See you at the new place.

The Newzbin Team

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Just a word on block accounts, watch what you download, particularly older stuff. Usually, when places like Supernews get a DMCA request, they'll pull a few blocks and a blocknews account will handle it.

However, depending on the post, an entire post will be nuked on Supernews/Giganews but work fine on blocknews.

I ate up 30 GB or so of my block the hard way a few times. :-/

Jay-Zeus
Jan 5, 2004
I don't believe it!
Fun Shoe
Does supernews delete accounts if they don't get payment for the next month? I don't like the idea of paying automatically every month and would rather do it myself so I cancelled the recurring paypal payment. Now that the month is over, I can't even login.

Strat
Nov 6, 2004

Odette posted:

Quoted from OP:

If you're planning on exceeding 92GB/month on a consistent basis, then get one of the unlimited plans.

EDIT: The OP was made some time ago, so have a look at the block plans ... work out some $/GB math.

That equation is great but when you actually buy an unlimited plan you end up downloading far more stuff that you wouldn't have downloaded on a blockplan.

So sure it will cost more per year, but the freedom is worth it. And let's be honest it's like $7 a month.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Strat posted:

That equation is great but when you actually buy an unlimited plan you end up downloading far more stuff that you wouldn't have downloaded on a blockplan.

So sure it will cost more per year, but the freedom is worth it. And let's be honest it's like $7 a month.

Yeah, I originally had a block account when I started out with Usenet. Then I swapped over to an unlimited plan with block backup.

My usage varies by quite a bit, but in the heavy bandwidth months, I am thankful that I'm on an unlimited plan.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Could there be a way to only use a block server only when retrying something that fails from the main server?

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

kri kri posted:

Could there be a way to only use a block server only when retrying something that fails from the main server?
On SABnzbd's server config page, uncheck Enable for all servers you don't want to use and save settings.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Hogburto posted:

On SABnzbd's server config page, uncheck Enable for all servers you don't want to use and save settings.

Yes I know this. I meant automatically.

ppp
Feb 13, 2012

by angerbot

kri kri posted:

The "Backup Server" option

Mthrboard
Aug 24, 2002
Grimey Drawer

kri kri posted:

If you're asking "can I have SABnzbd not use the backup server unless there aren't enough parts on the main server to complete and/or repair the download", then no, there isn't a way to do this automatically.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

kri kri posted:

Sorry, I assumed your server page was correctly configured, so you must have been attempting to test something with the simple solution slipping your mind, but Mthrboard's interpretation clears things up.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Mthrboard posted:

If you're asking "can I have SABnzbd not use the backup server unless there aren't enough parts on the main server to complete and/or repair the download", then no, there isn't a way to do this automatically.

This is what I meant, it would be a nice feature. For some reason blocknews downloaded 1 gig but none of the files had failed supernews.

NerdPolice
Jun 18, 2005

GINYU FORCE RULES

Odette posted:

Yeah, I originally had a block account when I started out with Usenet. Then I swapped over to an unlimited plan with block backup.

My usage varies by quite a bit, but in the heavy bandwidth months, I am thankful that I'm on an unlimited plan.
I purchased a short term unlimited plan on the cheap and will switch back to a block plan after my download nzb frenzy, worked out that it was about $5 cheaper to go this way so not a whole lot saved really but a penny saved is a penny earned.

inpheaux
Jul 12, 2001

kri kri posted:

This is what I meant, it would be a nice feature. For some reason blocknews downloaded 1 gig but none of the files had failed supernews.
That shouldn't happen. If you have an unlimited server set as "enable" and a block server set as "enable" and "backup server", then it should only ever download from the backup when files are missing off your primary server.

Edit: Maybe I'm misunderstanding. SABnzbd will attempt to hit the backup server during the first pass, before it tries to repair. So in a scenario where there are parts missing but enough parts on your primary to repair, SABnzbd will try to hit a backup for all the missing parts, which may prevent having to repair altogether. This is slightly overkill and means SABnzbd will try to hit a backup server when it *technically* didn't need to, but I think it's preferable for SABnzbd to try to go out and get as much data during the first pass.

inpheaux fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Mar 3, 2012

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

I think that is what must have happened. For now since I only got a 5gb blocknews plan I will just enable the backup server manually and run a repair on the download.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I have read drat near every page in this thread, and am still trying to play catch-up after 15 years on the internet without having ever used usenet until this thread (well, I used usenet once when I wanted to buy a Killer Instinct arcade machine but that's the only time and it was in alt.videogames.arcade or something). It was also back when AOL had usenet access :stare:

Anyway, some things confuse me; namely why certain search sites give better results than others? Isn't what appears in my search results dependent on the Usenet account I purchased? (Meaning if I get access with low retention that would explain why certain things wouldn't show up but when would it show up on some sites and not others with the same account?)

Also, I get this thing now where SAnzbdb downloads everything I click twice at the same time. I have no idea what the hell I did wrong. I recently added a new computer to my network so I feel that's somehow the culprit, but I have no idea what I did since I thought I followed the OP very specifically. If someone could give me advice on that problem, I'd appreciate it. I can always click "delete" on one of the downloads, but it gets kind of annoying after a while, and also some times it doesn't actually cancel the download and I end up downloading everything twice?

Thank you, wonderful thread!

Gimperial
Oct 5, 2006

And then there was silence...

Someone might be able to expand on this, but search sites don't know what account you have and what your retention is, they show everything that's available. I guess you might see different results if one website is ignoring some newsgroups. NZBs basically link groups of files and PARs so you don't need to download them all separately, but not all sites list NZBs.

As for the downloading twice, that can happen if you have nzbdStatus set to automatically "catch" NZB files you download and send them to SABNZBD, and then when you download them you also open them sending them to SABNZBD once more. SAB also has a "watch folder" option in the settings, and if that's set to your download folder, then it will open all NZBs that you download automatically.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Gimperial posted:

Someone might be able to expand on this, but search sites don't know what account you have and what your retention is, they show everything that's available. I guess you might see different results if one website is ignoring some newsgroups. NZBs basically link groups of files and PARs so you don't need to download them all separately, but not all sites list NZBs.

As for the downloading twice, that can happen if you have nzbdStatus set to automatically "catch" NZB files you download and send them to SABNZBD, and then when you download them you also open them sending them to SABNZBD once more. SAB also has a "watch folder" option in the settings, and if that's set to your download folder, then it will open all NZBs that you download automatically.

Thanks, this stuff is still very confusing to me. I remember once trying newsgroups out a few years ago, and I used some program called xnews or EZnews or something, and holy hell. I mean, I got the hang of it, but it was one of those things if I hadn't used it in a few months I'd have to relearn it completely.

As for the downloading everything twice issue, it's weird. I do in fact have it going like this: in Firefox, I click an NZB, it automatically opens up http://localhost:8080/sabnzbd. If I look in there, the two downloads of one file has started. I literally do nothing else.

Knowing me, I probably set this poo poo up all wrong :) But I certainly do not see any entry in the "watch folder" section of the settings. Can it be related to the whole API key thing? The only reason I ask is that whole thing confuses the hell out of me and I probably screwed something up in there.

Gimperial
Oct 5, 2006

Hamburglar posted:

Thanks, this stuff is still very confusing to me. I remember once trying newsgroups out a few years ago, and I used some program called xnews or EZnews or something, and holy hell. I mean, I got the hang of it, but it was one of those things if I hadn't used it in a few months I'd have to relearn it completely.

As for the downloading everything twice issue, it's weird. I do in fact have it going like this: in Firefox, I click an NZB, it automatically opens up http://localhost:8080/sabnzbd. If I look in there, the two downloads of one file has started. I literally do nothing else.

Knowing me, I probably set this poo poo up all wrong :) But I certainly do not see any entry in the "watch folder" section of the settings. Can it be related to the whole API key thing? The only reason I ask is that whole thing confuses the hell out of me and I probably screwed something up in there.

Do you have NZBStatus installed in firefox? It's an add-on

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Gimperial posted:

Do you have NZBStatus installed in firefox? It's an add-on

Yes sir.

Gimperial
Oct 5, 2006

Hamburglar posted:

Yes sir.

Go into the options, and there's a "Send NZBs to SAB" tickbox, make sure it's unchecked.

If it's checked, I guess you're opening NZB files, and nzbdStatus is sending the NZBs to SAB as well.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Gimperial posted:

Go into the options, and there's a "Send NZBs to SAB" tickbox, make sure it's unchecked.

I unchecked it. Thanks so much!

Now to get SickBeard to work. I tell it where my TV show directory is, and it's been on "Loading Folders" for 5 hours now. :negative:

LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006
How likely are we to see sab and sickbeard working (well) on a raspberry pi?

I imagine with all the Linux distros available, that it would work, but how well?

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
Both should work fine since all you need is Python.

Tychtrip
May 23, 2010

We are livid souls
I've been using Windows Media Center on my Xbox 360 to stream TV shows in HD quality to my TV. It's ok I guess, having everything done automatically with SickBeard is great and all but I'm wondering what alternatives people use to stream video to their TV. WMC is slow and clunky, and it's kind of picky over what mkv files it will play or not.

I realise this isn't really the thread to ask this, but I know a lot of people here use SickBeard so it'll be applicable to them. Any suggestions?

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
XBMC, Plex, Boxee.

Probably inferior alts: Media Portal, MeediOS

XBMC is the real answer, though, it's amazing.

BlackRider
Dec 28, 2004
Looks like Blocknews is completely down (including their website).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
When I'm downloading something and it failed to repair cause I'm just missing a measly 7 MB of 3+ GB, what can I do about it?