Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpaceBees
Jul 12, 2008

It cost me an arm and a leg to get into this club!

Starrett posted:

i've been trying but it's slow going. I can't get that Krispy Kreme bnb down.

Yeah, its really hard and takes awhile to get to the point where you can land it in matches.

Fenn the Fool! posted:

Same here, I like all of his tools but converting into real damage with him is hard as hell.

e: what combo do y'all go for after your opponent gets caught in repulsor blast?

Converting real damage with him is hard as hell. For repulsar blast you can actually link a c.M or s.M afterwards and do a full combo, buts its easier to cancel it into Proton Cannon, or spread and then Iron Avenger late, or spread and then smart bombs into Iron Avenger. Just play around with it.

SpaceBees fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Feb 26, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo

SpaceBees posted:

Yeah, its really hard and takes awhile to get to the point where you can land it in matches.

Converting real damage with him is hard as hell. For repulsar blast you can actually link a c.M or s.M afterwards and do a full combo, buts its easier to cancel it into Proton Cannon, or spread and then Iron Avenger late, or spread and then smart bombs into Iron Avenger. Just play around with it.

Yeah, I know you can combo out of it, is going into the krispy kreme the best option if you can reliably execute it? Currently I'm going for repulsor dMHS sj.MHdHS bombs proton, I played around with extending the air portion to sj.MMHflyMHdHS but it only added like 10-15k.

SpaceBees
Jul 12, 2008

Fenn the Fool! posted:

Yeah, I know you can combo out of it, is going into the krispy kreme the best option if you can reliably execute it? Currently I'm going for repulsor dMHS sj.MHdHS bombs proton, I played around with extending the air portion to sj.MMHflyMHdHS but it only added like 10-15k.

KK is generally always the best option for Iron Man as a bnb combo off any sort of low altitude hit or j.H or j.S and you can easily add assist extensions at the end using assists combined with Repulsar Blast. If you're talking about what to do when you catch someone with a Repulsar Blast, your combo seems really good and I'm actually gonna borrow it. You wouldn't be able to do a KK combo after a Repulsar Blast, c.M link because HSD would be too high, I think.

For extending his combos in corner you can just call an assist then do L or M Smart Bombs. They recover so fast that you will be able to do an H Repulsar Blast xxx Spread as long as the assist can pick them up and juggle them from L or M Smart Bombs. But play around with it. For example I can call Deadpool's Quick Work and do M Smart Bombs, and his Quick Work scoops them back up and I can do H Repulsar Blast. His Smart Bomb's fast recovery time is one of the best things he has going for him in this game I think, even if it makes comboing into Iron Avenger in the corner off of them kind of awkward.

Of course this is all good in training mode. I still have a lot of trouble landing the KK combo and airthrow combos in real matches. I just gotta grind it more in practice mode. In terms of execution requirement Iron Man is definitely up there. I'd probably say he's behind Jill and C. Viper in terms of execution requirement.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

SpaceBees posted:

Of course this is all good in training mode. I still have a lot of trouble landing the KK combo and airthrow combos in real matches. I just gotta grind it more in practice mode. In terms of execution requirement Iron Man is definitely up there. I'd probably say he's behind Jill and C. Viper in terms of execution requirement.

What is the airthrow combo? I tried to combo off of it in training mode and it didn't seem possible. I am still trying to learn the KK. It seems like the only hard part is the beginning. If I could get j.m j.m j.h xx unfly j.h down I would be golden.

I'm not yet able to play point Iron Man but I'm looking forward to getting KK and some situational combos down so I can give it a real try. IM is really weird. I feel like the foundation of his game should be bunny hopping around like an idiot and throwing out j.M and the j.H variations along with add j.M. The few times I've played him I've noticed that he's loving slow! He can't jump or dash away from anything on reaction. IM needs to constantly be moving (but that's true for anyone) and you need to have a good grasp on the range of his giant normals so you can defend him. I'm gonna use him with drones so I should be able to repulsar + drones when I get some space, protecting me from a lot of teleport mixups.

Spacebees do you work a lot of air unibeams into your game? It seems like if you could get a read that someone wanted to jump at mid-fullscreen distance IM could throw a ton of normal jump height air unibeams at them and really piss them off.

I was playing a bunch last night and either people on Sunday night are terrible or I finally am getting a bit better. I really started seeing the game in terms of spacing. That is, spacings where I know I can get a hit off vs. spacings where I know my opponent can hit me and I need to prepare for it. All of my hits and my movement are getting more deliberate. Top moment for me was my Sentinel vs some Vergil. I got fullscreen, spit at him to make him teleport and called the H bombs (the ones that drop even if sent gets hit). The Vergil guy teleported behind me (of course), started hitting me, and got blown up by the bombs for a full combo.

Safety Scissors posted:

Could someone explain Magneto movement to me? I saw some people doing triangle jumps (or something like that) in the air. How the hell do you that? Does anything else come with flight mode except infinite dashes and all hits are overhead?

It seems to me that every characters flight mode is different. This combined with their normals seems to me to be really important to their damage output. Does any analysis, faq, tutorial, etc. of this exist?
Firstly, almost all characters can cancel their dashes with normals. This means that after they begin to dash you can hit a normal -- the dash will end and the normal will come out, sometimes carrying some of the dash's momentum with it. Some characters can't cancel certain dashes with normals, or have restrictions. Iron Man, for instance, cannot cancel some of his dashes until after the 10th frame of the dash. I believe Dr. Doom cannot cancel his ground dashes at all but can cancel his airdashes which is why people trijump with him to get around as opposed to ground dashing.

Magneto can cancel his air dashes into a normal at any point during the dash. Magneto can also cancel the first few frames of his air normals with dashes (he can also cancel the recovery of his air normals with dashes after they connect or are blocked). This means that he can quickly dash, cancel with a j.H, cancel THAT with another dash, repeat. During flight Magneto can airdash an unlimited amount of times until flight runs out. If he is not in flight he gets only one airdash.

Magneto's quick air dashes are performed by "plinking" or "pianoing". I am not exactly sure why it's called plinking (I believe it was originally a street fighter term) but I know what the premise is and a couple of techniques for doing it. The premise is that you hit a button, say H, then rapidly hit a second button, say M. What happens is your character will begin to do the H but will cancel into a dash, the input for which is M+H. This works because MvC3 has an input buffer of 9 frames. That is, you have 9 frames after inputting the first button of of the dash to input the second button of the dash. Someone correct me if I'm wrong about the buffer size for dashes, the dash buffer size might be a little tighter than 9 frames. Magneto and Storm probably have the best/fastest air movement in the game due to their fast dash startup time (they instantly reach full dash speed unlike some characters such as Nova or Iron Man), fast dash speed, ability to plink air dash during flight, and strong air normals.

This technique is performed by drumming your fingers on the stick from H to M. You can achieve the same effect by hitting H then simultaneously pressing L+M. I prefer the second technique. If you're playing on pad I'd imagine you could bind a trigger to L+M and learn to plink by hitting H then pressing your L+M button. It might even be easier than plinking on a stick.

It's important to lead with H. H + forward or back is a throw. If you're within throw range you'll throw the opponent (or tech their throw). If you're not in throw range you'll get the dash as you would expect. When your input can do different advantageous things depending on the situation that input is called an option select. So if you ever hear that term, know what it means. There are other option selects besides the throw/dash option select.

Plink dashing is important for more than Magneto's air dashes. Most characters can cancel the first few frames of their normals with a dash and can cancel their dashes with normals. Characters whose dashes have these properties can plink dash. For many characters plink dashing means they can move very quickly along the ground. Fast ground dashes can also be achieved by wave dashing (cancelling dashes by crouching). While moving forward plink dashing and wave dashing are probably equally good. However, plink dashing has two distinct advantages over wave dashing. One, it is much easier to plink dash backwards than to wave dash backwards. Two, some characters (Wolverine for instance) have hypers that are input with down down atk+atk and wavedashing can easily cause the hyper to accidentally come out. Plink dashing poses no risk of an accidental hyper. For these reasons I recommend that you learn to plink dash no matter what character you play. It is an essential skill for beating some zoning teams. Aside from that you will often surprise opponents by moving so quickly. You'll get in their face when they don't expect it and cross under them when they try to up-back against you.

If you would like more information you should buy the new testament, http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Marvel-Capcom-Signature-Signatur/dp/0744013542/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1330351372&sr=1-1, in which you can read about the unique flight properties of every character and much much more. While the new testament has a ton of essential information about game mechanics and characters including frame data and discussions of strategies for individual characters, it is not authoritative. You should supplement the knowledge in the guide with the character subforums at shoryuken.com, knowledge gained from watching match videos, and your experience playing the game.

Dren fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Feb 27, 2012

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
I think Iron Man can only combo off his backward air throw, you do the DP otg balls while you are still in the air then you can link a H on the way down or c.M when you land or something.

Edit: There's an air dash down forward after the otg as well.

Fellblade fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Feb 27, 2012

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Did you guys know that Rocket Raccoon could make comebacks?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfD4C7oeNDI&t=16:19m

gently caress your Photon Rays, Doom, I can DIG.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Dias posted:

Did you guys know that Rocket Raccoon could make comebacks?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfD4C7oeNDI&t=16:19m

gently caress your Photon Rays, Doom, I can DIG.

This owns bones, I really need to spend some time learning Rocket Raccoon more.

SpaceBees
Jul 12, 2008

Dren posted:

What is the airthrow combo? I tried to combo off of it in training mode and it didn't seem possible. I am still trying to learn the KK. It seems like the only hard part is the beginning. If I could get j.m j.m j.h xx unfly j.h down I would be golden.

I'm not yet able to play point Iron Man but I'm looking forward to getting KK and some situational combos down so I can give it a real try. IM is really weird. I feel like the foundation of his game should be bunny hopping around like an idiot and throwing out j.M and the j.H variations along with add j.M. The few times I've played him I've noticed that he's loving slow! He can't jump or dash away from anything on reaction. IM needs to constantly be moving (but that's true for anyone) and you need to have a good grasp on the range of his giant normals so you can defend him. I'm gonna use him with drones so I should be able to repulsar + drones when I get some space, protecting me from a lot of teleport mixups.

Spacebees do you work a lot of air unibeams into your game? It seems like if you could get a read that someone wanted to jump at mid-fullscreen distance IM could throw a ton of normal jump height air unibeams at them and really piss them off.

The airthrow combo is: Airthrow Forward, Smart Bomb L, ADF, j.M, j.u+H [ ] j.M, j.M, j.d+H, j.S, cr.M, s.H, s.S, sj.M, sj.M, sj.H, sj.d+H, sj.S, Smart Bomb H xx Proton Cannon.

My IM is pretty rear end right now, but I haven't had very much training mode time with him due to being busy with school. When I do play, I get tons of hits off j.H, as you said its really good, my problem is hit confirming into the KK once I do hit with it. KK is a hard combo compared to the other bnbs in this game so it requires a lot more practice to get into muscle memory. To answer your other question, TK Air Unibeam is something I've heard some Iron Man players swear by, since landing immediately interrupts your recovery frames and lets you act again. It's probably really good but I haven't been using it much, I should be though.

SpaceBees fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Feb 27, 2012

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

SpaceBees posted:

The airthrow combo is: Airthrow Forward, Smart Bomb L, ADF, j.M, j.u+H [ ] j.M, j.M, j.d+H, j.S, cr.M, s.H, s.S, sj.M, sj.M, sj.H, sj.d+H, sj.S, Smart Bomb H xx Proton Cannon.

My IM is pretty rear end right now, but I haven't had very much training mode time with him due to being busy with school. When I do play, I get tons of hits off j.H, as you said its really good, my problem is hit confirming into the KK once I do hit with it. KK is a hard combo compared to the other bnbs in this game so it requires a lot more practice to get into muscle memory. To answer your other question, TK Air Unibeam is something I've heard some Iron Man players swear by, since landing immediately interrupts your recovery frames and lets you act again. It's probably really good but I haven't been using it much, I should be though.

Thanks for the airthrow combo I'll give it a shot. I don't think KK is really all that bad. The tough part is the beginning. If I could get that down I'd be good to go. Like you, I haven't had enough time to practice.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Chocolate America posted:

Combofiend and FChamp are about to start a FT10 in Marvel!

http://www.twitch.tv/fgtvlive

edit: Combofiend wins 10-8. Champ is on the same level. Good to see.

Can you narrow it down a bit? There's three vids from 2/25, and one of them is 44 hours long. I didn't see the match in the 4:48 video or the 3:xx vid.

Chocolate America
Nov 5, 2008

by garbage day

Phenotype posted:

Can you narrow it down a bit? There's three vids from 2/25, and one of them is 44 hours long. I didn't see the match in the 4:48 video or the 3:xx vid.

Sorry but I can't. I was watching it live and then I stopped because afterwards they got food or something.

SpaceBees
Jul 12, 2008

Dren posted:

Thanks for the airthrow combo I'll give it a shot. I don't think KK is really all that bad. The tough part is the beginning. If I could get that down I'd be good to go. Like you, I haven't had enough time to practice.

That combo is universal on the cast from normal jump height, so its a good one to know.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1kEKRi78kM

Some good stuff here!

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Some good stuff here!

"I feel like no one knows anything about Japan's Marvel scene and that it's probably the highest level right now." *two minutes of Taskmaster jumping diagonal arrows covered by hidden missile*

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
I'm interested in seeing this crazy secret Rocket Raccoon tech Japan is supposedly sitting on.

e: I really want to watch those videos but "free demo" is driving me insane.

The Rokstar fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Feb 28, 2012

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aP2SGtg_EBU

I love English commentators.

Probably a weird question since I'm bad at this game but why didn't they ever switch characters out when low on health?

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

SpaceBees posted:

That combo is universal on the cast from normal jump height, so its a good one to know.

I was practicing the fly/unfly bit last night. If you practice on Sent you don't have to do the c.M s.H xx fly first. He's so tall that j.M j.M j.H unfly j.H will connect on him. It's good to be able to focus on the unfly part. It only took me about 10 minutes to get it going pretty good.

Rollie the Guar
Sep 12, 2011

You can't change nature, Jack.

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Probably a weird question since I'm bad at this game but why didn't they ever switch characters out when low on health?

Because good players are going to block and punish raw tags far more often than not. With damage as high as it is in this game, raw tagging is usually going to get your second character killed, and then you need to deal with the incoming character mixup on your first character anyways. Raw tags have a ton of invincibility so you can kind of use them like a DP, but the risk is really, really high.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Some good stuff here!

That Nemesis/Hawkeye/Dr Strange player was freer than a free demo. It wouldn't have mattered if he had switched out a character low on health, he couldn't handle the other guy's Taskmaster or his Nova.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Sorry to be dumb, but when people on youtube are always shouting about FREE or ____ was FREE! Does that mean something like a free win? Would free demo = the other player was so bad it was basically an exhibition/demonstration for the other player?

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Electromax posted:

Sorry to be dumb, but when people on youtube are always shouting about FREE or ____ was FREE! Does that mean something like a free win? Would free demo = the other player was so bad it was basically an exhibition/demonstration for the other player?
Free demo in this case = the guy making the videos didn't shell out for a license for his capture software.

But otherwise you're right.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Electromax posted:

Yes free means it was a free win.

A free demo (i.e. of software, of a product) is as free as you can get, as it does not cost any money. So if you are even freer than a free demo, boy howdy are you free in a big way.

E: rereading this post it makes me sound like a dick, my bad.

Jmcrofts fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Feb 28, 2012

FossilFuelUser
May 8, 2004
Global Warming

Fungah! posted:

"I feel like no one knows anything about Japan's Marvel scene and that it's probably the highest level right now." *two minutes of Taskmaster jumping diagonal arrows covered by hidden missile*

I commented on it and he said this:

"Can't possibly be as bad as the dropped combos (of basic things might I add) in your typical american tournament, not to mention indecisiveness of the players."

Then he deleted the video.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Electromax posted:

The audio in that video periodically (every 10 or 15 seconds) said "free demo".

I can't believe the guy pulled the video because of the comments, Niddhog. He must not really believe in Japanese MvC3. The Taskmaster player might not be so bad but it's hard to tell since he was playing a total scrub.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine

Fungah! posted:

Niddhogg posted:

I commented on it and he said this:

"Can't possibly be as bad as the dropped combos (of basic things might I add) in your typical american tournament, not to mention indecisiveness of the players."

Then he deleted the video.

Congratulations, you both now have first-hand experience of being bullshitted by Emil, the single most infamous Japanese-dick riding troll of the FGC of the last 13+ years.

It's one of the rites of initiation into becoming a true grizzled FGC veteran.
Like going to your first major, or seeing your first rage quit during a cinematic super where you're about to win.

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Thanks for that explanation Dren.

I've completely ignored anything Japanese related to marvel after Tokido went 0-5 in that Good vs Evil Phoenix thing.

Pathard
Oct 23, 2011

Push the envelope. Watch it bend.
Dear god. I'm trying so hard to learn this game, but all I've gotten out of it so far is a good rear end pounding by other players and the AI. I'm just guessing fighting games aren't for me. I bought Super Street Fighter (one of them, dunno) a while back and immediately returned it after a 0/32 online streak and never managing to finish the arcade mode.

I think my problem is that I can't manage to get any of the moves down, and I just end up pressing everything in the hopes that something amazing occurs. It does happen, but not the the extent that I'd like. I also can't even manage to swap team members out during a fight, and so I just play one guy until he dies.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Pathard posted:

I also can't even manage to swap team members out during a fight, and so I just play one guy until he dies.

Can't help you with much more than this bit: Tap the button to call for an assist, hold it to actually swap.

Pathard
Oct 23, 2011

iolo_the_bard posted:

Can't help you with much more than this bit: Tap the button to call for an assist, hold it to actually swap.
Oh wow. Thanks for that. I can now keep someone alive for slightly longer!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Pathard posted:

And if you look at your damage bar, anything that's red will slowly regenerate as long as that character is not active.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Pathard posted:

Try getting your bearings in training mode. Pick a team of whatever characters you want to play, learn their moves and assists, get used to moving around, maybe do some of their trials. Then try your luck vs the AI and other people.

Pathard
Oct 23, 2011

iolo_the_bard posted:

And if you look at your damage bar, anything that's red will slowly regenerate as long as that character is not active.
I see. I was wondering why the guys kept coming back with more health than I had left them.

Jmcrofts posted:

Try getting your bearings in training mode. Pick a team of whatever characters you want to play, learn their moves and assists, get used to moving around, maybe do some of their trials. Then try your luck vs the AI and other people.
I've been trying the missions, but I can't manage to get the left -> down -> diagonal -> attack type to ever work. I always end up managing a -> left -> diagonal -> down -> diagonal -> button and nothing ever happens. :(

EDIT: Also, how exactly does blocking and "counter-blocking" work? Do I just hold back, and it'll auto-block? I figured counters were just hitting before they manage to hit you. I could be (and probably am) wrong.

Pathard fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Feb 28, 2012

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Pathard posted:

I see. I was wondering why the guys kept coming back with more health than I had left them.
I've been trying the missions, but I can't manage to get the left -> down -> diagonal -> attack type to ever work. I always end up managing a -> left -> diagonal -> down -> diagonal -> button and nothing ever happens. :(

If you've got the 360 version, I'd be more than happy to mess around in online mode with you and help show you the ropes.

EDIT: Let it be known though, I suck royal rear end at this game, so all I'm good for is teaching you basic "this button does this" and "What's a dragon-punch motion" type stuff.

Pathard posted:

EDIT: Also, how exactly does blocking and "counter-blocking" work? Do I just hold back, and it'll auto-block? I figured counters were just hitting before they manage to hit you. I could be (and probably am) wrong.

Yes, holding back blocks, but there are things than can circumvent blocks. Most (if not all) characters have some manner of throw, for example.

Hawaiian Shirt
Oct 10, 2006

I barely even drink a lot

Pathard posted:

They use a Z to annotate that typically, and that helps me out. I just draw a Z with my thumb/joystick

Pathard
Oct 23, 2011

iolo_the_bard posted:

If you've got the 360 version, I'd be more than happy to mess around in online mode with you and help show you the ropes.

EDIT: Let it be known though, I suck royal rear end at this game, so all I'm good for is teaching you basic "this button does this" and "What's a dragon-punch motion" type stuff.
I've only got the game on the Vita/PS3. You've been helpful though! Thanks for the advice you've given me. I just swapped people and then somehow did a super explosion 3-way and killed the entire screen. :psydwarf:

Hawaiian Shirt posted:

They use a Z to annotate that typically, and that helps me out. I just draw a Z with my thumb/joystick
Okay, I'll have to try that. Thanks for the tip.

Tamagod Sushi
Oct 26, 2009

One Bad Muthapaca

Pathard posted:

I've found that this page really helps too :) (Seriously read it, love it, and you'll become much better)

Shoryuken's UMvC3 Wiki: Click here

Basic blocking 101: To block, keep holding back. Standing blocks will block High and Mid, and crouching block (Done by holding down back) will block lows and mids.

Another very important aspect of UMvC3 is the Push Block, which is when you block an attack you can press any of the two attack buttons (A,B or C) and your character will slightly push the attacker away. This in itself has a lot of strategic positioning uses, as spacing or the 'footsie game' of most 2D fighters is important in making sure attacks hit and opponents can't get in on you.

And read up on the other mechanics of the game too! UMvC3 may seem like a lot to get into, but take it slowly one step at a time and it'll start to click.

In terms of 'counter blocking', Counters are when you hit your opponent with an attack faster than theirs, and this stuns them out of their attack. Most characters have fast A-button 'pokes' that you can use to interrupt opponents with slow moves. On the flip side, if you're a slow character you will need to anticipate if your opponent is trying to out-poke you you can push block to a safer distance or try an invulnerable move such as Nemesis's air S attack.

Some characters such as Wesker, Ammaterasu or Taskmaster have moves with counter properties that trigger when you opponent hits you. For example, Ammaterasu has a crouching counter which when it blocks a low attack triggers a special attack, effectively countering your opponent's attack!

Tamagod Sushi fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Feb 28, 2012

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Check the UltraChenTV Twitch archives too, James Chen did a whole segment last night just on how to do special move inputs.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
If it makes you feel better, I am generally terrible at fighting games and especially early on. I got a good amount of wins with vanilla SF4 Sagat but that seemed more thanks to the character. I use Oro in SF3 and at one point my record was like 20-80 before I started being able to beat people sometimes, and it's still pretty awful. Picked up Dhalsim in SSF4 recently and am something like 16-72. Went 2-50something in Marvel 3 trying to find a team I like and I still haven't found one.

I try to set my rank search to higher players under the belief that it will make me better eventually but it's generally just been a slow process... I say that to say, 0-32 isn't so bad. Especially because people have been playing it for a while, if you're just beginning you'll probably have to lose for a while before you even start to win occasionally (if you're like me anyway).

I did however do pretty well in some smaller local tournaments with Oro, somehow I felt more confidence or something when I could put a human face on my opponent sitting there next to me. You could see if you can dig up some local opponents? I wish there was a stronger scene around here, even based on small experience I think online pales in comparison to live competition.

Padical
Nov 29, 2004
After not playing online since Ultimate came out, I finally decided, against my better judgement, to return the land of online warriors. I managed to find some surprisingly good opponents who really put my best game to its test. Feeling good about things, I continued on and quickly found opponents and lag situations that made everything I have learned in the past 4 months obsolete. The winning tactic for the day being random meteor smashes and Akuma supers.

I spectated one match last night where a legimately good player did a huge Chun Li combo that linked into otg stomp> ex spining bird kick> lvl3. The lag in that game was so bad the other guy was dropping basic acbs combos. How do people get this good online?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waverhouse
Jun 8, 2009

A highly sophisticated simpleton.
Most of the time I don't get much lag other than the sort of inherent lag of playing online, so it's not quite so bad for me.

As for anyone learning this game (or any other fighting game): your first 200 matches or so, online or no, will probably be you getting your rear end handed to you in ways you were not even aware your rear end could be handed to you. Easily your first 20 matches is you doing a whole lot of mashing and hoping something good comes out. Some of the funkier stuff like the Crossover Counter or knowing when to snap back is stuff you should probably not even bother with until you get your basics down.

• Locked thread