Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Goon Matchmaker
Oct 23, 2003

I play too much EVE-Online

pixaal posted:

If you are okay with medium settings it should be do able. I can double check, I normally am find with 45FPS though, so I tune my settings around that not 60 and I'm fine with a 6850 in BF3. I think I have a mix of mid and high and maybe 1 ultra or something that's low intensity.

Right now I'm playing everything on low, with textures on medium I think, at 1280x720 and getting anywhere from 30 to 120 FPS. Op Metro I usually get 80 in the train station section and 30 outdoors with spikes all over the place. So if I could just knock stuff up to say medium and get 45-60 FPS with fewer spikes that'd be great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Setzer Gabbiani
Oct 13, 2004

Regardless if the 77xx's are worth it at current prices or not, AMD certainly had fun on the marketing end

http://www.techpowerup.com/160273/AMD-Pulls-Hysterical-Cape-Verde-Marketing-Stunt.html

quote:

No NVIDIA-styled Press Deck booklet, or even former-ATI styled Ruby doll, but a medicine bottle, which reads "Verdetrol". The label directed them to insert the blue capsules inside it to the heat vents of the graphics card, when benchmarking, so it "acts as a performance enhancement"

HINT - Green aaaaaaaaaaaaand...

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
That's what happens when you fire all your competent PR and marketing staff.

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
http://verdetrol.com/

wow

Srebrenica Surprise
Aug 23, 2008

"L-O-V-E's just another word I never learned to pronounce."

Alereon posted:

That's what happens when you fire all your competent PR and marketing staff.
I think they need to fire them again

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
As long as they're using memes in marketing, nVidia should put up a billboard in front of AMD HQ with a "no1curr" macro.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

If there's an EVGA "Cool Story Bro" edition GTX 680, I'm going to just use IGPUs.

Gherkin Jerkin
Jan 22, 2006

With great power, comes great crunchability...
Surprised to see hadn't been posted here yet: AMD's Graphics CTO Quits on Eve of Radeon 7700 Launch.
The article makes it seem like they are bleeding management over there. Are things really that bleak?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Agreed posted:

If there's an EVGA "Cool Story Bro" edition GTX 680, I'm going to just use IGPUs.

"We Got a Real Badass Over Here" edition, on the other hand...

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Gherkin Jerkin posted:

Surprised to see hadn't been posted here yet: AMD's Graphics CTO Quits on Eve of Radeon 7700 Launch.
The article makes it seem like they are bleeding management over there. Are things really that bleak?

This is probably a Pretty Big Deal. Probably more due to the current climate not exactly favoring his talents as well as it could and the corporate culture undergoing tremendous changes under AMD's new financial structure and top executive management, but this is a guy who oversaw a lot of extremely competitive designs from conception to launch. Not at the ground level, but "big picture."

I'm going to completely, wildly speculate that this could be the result of a bid on his part to try to grab something by turning in notice and them calling his bluff, because 1. he just finished overseeing an extremely successful graphics generation, so may have been feeling owed something for it, and 2. AMD isn't in any position to reward any executive exceptionally well at the moment regardless of merit.

As their extremely rose-colored press release puts it - and I'm paraphrasing - "blah blah blah hemorrhaging people and this particular guy really hurts, poo poo"

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan
In other news:

Nvidia (stop me if you've heard this before) says Kepler is going to be pricey because of yield issues. Get ready to consider the 7970s price a "bargain".

Intel, having no direct CPU competition, decides that it can sit on sandy bridge until inventory sells out. Nobody could ever have seen this coming, nobody.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Longinus00 posted:

In other news:

Nvidia (stop me if you've heard this before) says Kepler is going to be pricey because of yield issues. Get ready to consider the 7970s price a "bargain".

Intel, having no direct CPU competition, decides that it can sit on sandy bridge until inventory sells out. Nobody could ever have seen this coming, nobody.

drat. Remember those rumors that the GK104 would cost $299 and have 7970 performance? Not that it was ever likely but it seems impossible now.

Setzer Gabbiani
Oct 13, 2004

Dogen posted:

"We Got a Real Badass Over Here" edition, on the other hand...

poo poo's on fire, yo edition is reserved for the next lineup of Fermi rebrands Fermi is hot

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
TheInquirer is reporting that Piledriver cores (the successor to Bulldozer) implement Resonant Clock Mesh technology licensed from Cyclos Semiconductor in order to reduce power consumption by 10%. Details are sparse, but apparently this technology reduces the power required to distribute the clock signal throughout the chip. Combined with a more mature 32nm process and improved yields from not having a massive slab of L3 cache, this should hopefully improve Bulldozer's dismal performance and power efficiency.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
You can get much more detail from the EE Times. The 10% reduction is just an estimate for what the technology can do, not what the Piledriver implementation achieves. The tl;dr of the technology is that it uses dark magic (and inductors) to reuse some of the clock signal electricity instead of dissipating all of it, and the savings come at almost no cost above the innocents sacrificed to bind the pact of evil creating it.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
So what's the medium term landscape for desktop GPU's? Pitcairn 78XX cards with price:performance ratios matching the 6000 series from AMD in March? 28nm chips from Nvidia & AMD price readjustments in April? Looks like that will be a good time to put something together along with a new ivybridge cpu and a 7 series chipset.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Zhentar posted:

You can get much more detail from the EE Times. The 10% reduction is just an estimate for what the technology can do, not what the Piledriver implementation achieves. The tl;dr of the technology is that it uses dark magic (and inductors) to reuse some of the clock signal electricity instead of dissipating all of it, and the savings come at almost no cost above the innocents sacrificed to bind the pact of evil creating it.

Yeah, but are the inductors nanometer scale bright red Fasel inductors? Because the tone is going to be poo poo otherwise, gotta get that REAL wah-wah sound.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Longinus00 posted:

Linkdumping from the Intel thread:
http://vr-zone.com/articles/intel-is-only-delaying-dual-core-mobile-ivy-bridge-cpus/14933.html

TLDR;
The only thing being delayed is dual core mobile parts, dual and quad core desktop chips, and quad core mobiles are still coming out.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you
Goddamnit, managed to upgrade from a 5950 to some 7970's thanks to a friend. Except I didn't realize that the 7970 doesn't have two DVI outputs and instead uses DisplayPort, which would be great if I actually had a DP cable.

It's hard to go back to a single monitor, even if it is just for one night.

Though if I'm using the 7970's in CrossFire am I able at all to use the DVI slot on the 2nd card to output to a monitor?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
It has HDMI!

HDMI uses the same video as DVI, you can get a dirt cheap electro-mechanical adapter as opposed to some ghetto active DisplayPort adapter.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

HalloKitty posted:

It has HDMI!

HDMI uses the same video as DVI, you can get a dirt cheap electro-mechanical adapter as opposed to some ghetto active DisplayPort adapter.
Eh a HDMI -> DVI adapter is about as cheap as an actual DisplayPort cable, which I can hook into my monitors so I just ordered one of those.

I just kind of figured I could use the DVI output on the other card in the meantime

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Plus displayport is the ~future~

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

As one of the 3 people in the world actually using DisplayPort (and using it to carry sound too!), I feel qualified to say that it owns.

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

I'm gunna kill you BITCH!!!

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

As one of the 3 people in the world actually using DisplayPort (and using it to carry sound too!), I feel qualified to say that it owns.

Care to say why? It seems so similar to HDMI I don't really get it (although I plan to use it when my 7970 comes)

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Fatal posted:

Care to say why?
Bigger numbers, duh. I can feel the raw power of 17.28 Gbit/s (compared to HDMI's 10.2 Gbit/s) surging through the monitor and into my face.

In practice though it really doesn't matter. They're both one cable solutions for audio and video. I've just had an easier time getting everything to recognize and play nice with DisplayPort than I ever have with HDMI, especially when it comes to connecting PCs to AV devices (HDCP negotiation issues, wonky overscan, etc.).

Yinzer
Mar 24, 2008

Don't be fooled into replying, I am either a lesson in Poe's Law or incredibly fucking stupid, or both. Also I can't read charts and graphs and think image macros about Paul Ryan's genius are fun and exciting! Run me over with Biden's Trans-Am!
EDIT: Wrong thread.

Yinzer fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Feb 28, 2012

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
Plus isnt Displayport a packetised protocol? Meaning if you have a resolution far higher than the cable bandwidth can handle, it will still work (for slow 2D scenarios, eg windows desktop)

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Bigger numbers, duh. I can feel the raw power of 17.28 Gbit/s (compared to HDMI's 10.2 Gbit/s) surging through the monitor and into my face.

In practice though it really doesn't matter. They're both one cable solutions for audio and video. I've just had an easier time getting everything to recognize and play nice with DisplayPort than I ever have with HDMI, especially when it comes to connecting PCs to AV devices (HDCP negotiation issues, wonky overscan, etc.).

I've had kind of the opposite experience, where it makes my monitor not want to wake up from powersave, but that could be because it's displayport on an nvidia card, and I don't think any nvidia ref designs use it, so it might not be the best implemented.

Either that or it's the U2412m's fault, who knows. I've gotten used to turning my monitors off now because I'm not unplugging the swank BLUE ARGYLE displayport cable :hellyeah:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Fatal posted:

Care to say why? It seems so similar to HDMI I don't really get it (although I plan to use it when my 7970 comes)

It's also licensing cost free, or nearly so, in addition to what the parrot said.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
DVI Just Works so I'll be sad to see it go.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Fatal posted:

DisplayPort cable cannot fall out. It hooks in and has a release. That makes it completely better.

I guess I am one of those 3 people using displayport. I do not use it for sound. Maybe I'm number 4.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug
I'm #5 here, I guess. Though I partly do because I have three monitors.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

dud root posted:

Plus isnt Displayport a packetised protocol? Meaning if you have a resolution far higher than the cable bandwidth can handle, it will still work (for slow 2D scenarios, eg windows desktop)

Yeah, it's packetized. Also has an embedded clock and implements data scrambling, so it's very similar to PCIe in a way. (minus the clock I guess, since PCIe has a separate REFCLK).

And latched connector :woop:

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Killer robot posted:

I'm #5 here, I guess. Though I partly do because I have three monitors.

Same, considering ditching my old Dell 2007FP, and my two newer monitors (2211h and 2311h) for 3 2412m's but I dunno if I can convince myself to spell 1k on monitors, after having spent 500 last year.

On an unrelated note, I never realized my 2007fp was an IPS panel. I knew it was great, just didn't know why.

Setzer Gabbiani
Oct 13, 2004

I want to imagine another reason DisplayPort never took off all the way was because 90% of the first run of cables to hit OEM's/retailers that weren't $30 Belkins were defective and wouldn't let you turn your monitor on without unplugging it first causing everyone to apathyswitch back to DVI. Monoprice only just started carrying working cables about half a year ago, and I like it because it's small and thin, compared to the huge goddamn DVI cable I've been using since 2004. Only thing that bugs me is that powering the monitor off resets the display to 640x480, so all my icons get hosed up in the process

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Setzer Gabbiani posted:

I want to imagine another reason DisplayPort never took off all the way was because 90% of the first run of cables to hit OEM's/retailers that weren't $30 Belkins were defective and wouldn't let you turn your monitor on without unplugging it first causing everyone to apathyswitch back to DVI. Monoprice only just started carrying working cables about half a year ago, and I like it because it's small and thin, compared to the huge goddamn DVI cable I've been using since 2004. Only thing that bugs me is that powering the monitor off resets the display to 640x480, so all my icons get hosed up in the process

That is really weird. I've never had that issue on my dell monitors.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

movax posted:

And latched connector :woop:

Yeah, I always thought the original, full size DisplayPort connector was a fantastic looking thing. I've now got a monitor with it, I don't use it (because of Windows making it disappear if I turn it off), but it is a glorious feeling connector.

Mini DisplayPort is so boring in comparison. Thanks, Apple :(

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
I can't believe it's been two months now and Nvidia not only doesn't have competition to the 7000 series yet, they haven't even said anything about it.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Coredump posted:

Its like AMD is in a catch 22. "Hey you have poo poo cpus, we're not going to buy them. Hey you have good video cards, still not gonna buy them." I know there's more to it than this but this is the impression I'm getting from people talking online.

HalloKitty posted:

What? No. People are buying AMD GPUs, and have been for a long time. The 7970s have been selling, even at such high prices.
Don't forget that their GPUs are also in the Xbox 360 and Nintendo Wii.

I'm not sure where that idea is coming from. Their CPUs on the other hand, yes, they are dire.

http://techreport.com/discussions.x/22543
JPR: Nvidia ruled discrete GPUs last quarter

quote:

The latest discrete graphics shipment figures from Jon Peddie Research are in, and they suggest Nvidia is holding on to a growing piece of a shrinking market. Here are the research firm's market share estimates, which pertain strictly to "graphics AIBs" (a.k.a. graphics add-in boards, or discrete graphics cards):

Overall, JPR says shipments of discrete graphics cards shrank from 17.2 million in the third quarter to 16.1 million in the fourth—a 6.5% drop. For the year as a whole, JPR estimates a 0.4% decline from 2010, down to $14.9 billion. The firm attributes the, er, shrinkage to a pull back by consumers and a gradual decline in [average selling prices]."

Nvidia's market share may be growing, but the company did see its revenue and profits plunge in its last fiscal quarter. If my math is right, the company's forecast for the ongoing quarter would also equate to a year-on-year slump. AMD's GPU business isn't doing much better; in the holiday quarter, it shrank by 5% quarter-to-quarter and 10% year-on-year.

I know this is going back a ways. But this right here is where I getting that idea from. I don't know what AMD can do but they don't have the gpu marketshare that their products should have for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Zhentar posted:

From reading this, I fully expect AMD's next Radeon codename to be "Pentagram"

• Locked thread