Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Just cook them until they're done. Taste a bean before you take them off the heat.

Weird thing is I've ended up with batches were some are done, but some aren't. Guess I'll play around a bit more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I like turtles posted:

I mostly don't like electric stoves because you can set them to either be not hot enough to do anything, or :supaburn: and not much in between. I'm sure there are some better, more modern ones that do better, but the default cheap apartment model is a problem.

Mine has 4 pushbuttons instead of a knob, so it is really hard to maintain a temp that isn't one of the 4. Normal simmering is, of course, right in the middle of two settings.

vvv The joys of an affordable apartment in a great location.

taqueso fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Feb 27, 2012

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Phummus posted:

Get oil really loving hot in non-stick pan

you shouldn't really need a nonstick for searing, or get a nonstick to searing temperatures, unless by nonstick you mean cast iron. i just use a random small aluminum saute pan. you can get a nice brown crust on a sauteed scallop at a lower temp in a nonstick pan though

i will say though that about 2% of the time scallops seem to not want to sear properly and spew weird juice the burns to the bottom of the pan, but i don't know if it is the scallop's fault or if i am bad at cooking them 2% of the time, but i cook a lot of scallops and it's not like it's happened just a couple times.

taqueso posted:

Mine has 4 pushbuttons instead of a knob, so it is really hard to maintain a temp that isn't one of the 4. Normal simmering is, of course, right in the middle of two settings.

i would literally vomit in anger if i had to cook on that

pile of brown fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Feb 27, 2012

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Phummus posted:

I've never seared a scallop. I wish to do so tonight.

Please correct my intended method here:

Dry scallops with paper towels, season.

Sear on side 1 until deep golden.

Flip over.

Remove from pan and hit with lemon juice.
Do the ingredients include sodium tripolyphosphate?

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

OUR PEOPLE WERE BORN OF THE SKY

scuz posted:

The King Arthur brat rolls recipe is king gently caress of poo poo mountain:

2 tablespoons granulated sugar
2 packets or 2 scant tablespoons active dry yeast
1/2 cup warm water (105°F to 115°F)
2 cups warm milk (105°F to 115°F)
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 teaspoons salt
6 to 7 1/2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour*
egg wash: 1 egg beaten with 1 tablespoon cold water
sesame, poppy or caraway seeds or coarse salt (optional)

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/hamburger-or-hot-dog-buns-recipe

Use whole milk!

What is special about King Arthur flour? The only English-mythology themed flour we get in Toronto is Robin Hood

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Splizwarf posted:

Yes, that and if you added salt to the water, that contributed too. If you have this problem again, add some baking soda to swing the Ph of the water over to Base, which will actively help with softening your beans (and you don't have to boil them all day anymore).

I like this especially for trying to soften black beans to make a beany slurry for awesome burritos.

Salt in the water for cooking beans won't affect the time much at all. Salt is actually supposed to shorten the cooking time, but only be a few minutes. Salt is fine with cooking beans, it's acid that messes it up.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Cowcatcher posted:

What is special about King Arthur flour? The only English-mythology themed flour we get in Toronto is Robin Hood

King Arthur is one of the few brands in the US that has good quality unbleached flour available in most supermarkets nation wide. They also put up decent recipes on their website.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
/\/\/\ This, King Arthur is really good yet widely distributed, for cheap. Usually you only get 2 out of 3.

pile of brown posted:

you shouldn't really need a nonstick for searing, or get a nonstick to searing temperatures, unless by nonstick you mean cast iron.

Specifically, when you heat a Teflon-coated pan to the point at which it smokes, you're releasing toxic fumes that will kill your pets, starting with birds (this can take less than 3 minutes). It's also not good for your lungs or brain and probably human lethal in high enough dose via lung damage.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
King Arthur has slightly higher protein compared to other flours

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Best price for KA flours I've found is at Target. Everywhere else has a 5lb bag for like $7 but Target's price is around $3, which means they probably aren't making any money on it which means I don't feel so bad for shopping there :3:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Target's great for a lot of food shopping, they're relatively new to groceries so they're using low prices to lure in new customers.

Stay the away from their steaks though. I never heard of enhanced beef before Target. All their beef is candy apple red!

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:

Phummus posted:

I've never seared a scallop. I wish to do so tonight.

Please correct my intended method here:

Dry scallops with paper towels, season.

Sear on side 1 until deep golden.

Flip over.

Remove from pan and hit with lemon juice.

THIS IS A VERY IMPORTANT LIFE SKILL!!!!

Seriously, at the restaurant many instructions were simply "cook like a scallop." I'd go and buy scallops and post a video if I had time. You want a decent amount of oil, and for the pan (gently caress non-stick.. the best ones we had were stainless steel that could hold some heat) to be hot -- the oil should be just barely smoking. Then add your scallops and lower the heat to about mid. It's about heat management now -- you want a good even browning (which is why you need sufficient oil) without burning.. you should definitely see the color coming up the edge a little. Flip it when it's sufficiently brown, and do the same or slightly less (mediumish in the middle is the preferred method). Flip only once, dont move them around or shake them unless absolutely necessary.

Once you master this, you can pretty much cook any fish, too.

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

If I get ten spare bucks, it's going for a 30-pack of Schlitz.

Splizwarf posted:

Specifically, when you heat a Teflon-coated pan to the point at which it smokes, you're releasing toxic fumes that will kill your pets, starting with birds (this can take less than 3 minutes). It's also not good for your lungs or brain and probably human lethal in high enough dose via lung damage.

The smoke point of most oils should be well below the 450 degree F mark that the coating begins to break down though, yes?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's really easy to hit that on an electric stove by accident, though, and the pan (being non-stick) may not have an oil in it at the time. Also, this disqualifies all non-stick from doing 475F oven stuff like the steaks in the last page or two. (I dunno which because I'm on 10 posts/page)

Splizwarf fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Feb 27, 2012

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.
Buy Diver (Dry) scallops. Boom, problem solved.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Turkeybone posted:

for the pan (gently caress non-stick.. the best ones we had were stainless steel that could hold some heat)

Yeah this. Don't use non-stick.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Hard-anodized aluminum is highly non-stick, can be used with metal utensils, and tolerates high temperatures without releasing any fumes or taking any damage. They're sensitive to highly acidic food, so that's one drawback, and it's certainly not a miracle metal, but I like mine a lot. I'll admit they scratch way more easily than steel, but unlike coated pans the scratches don't really harm the surface that much.

I still have stainless, cast iron, and carbon steel in my kitchen, but I chucked all the Teflon and replaced it with hard-anodized. You do have to be careful because some of the cheapie versions still have Teflon or are made to lovely standards, though.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I have one Teflon pan that I use pretty exclusively for eggs. But I really like eggs, so it gets a lot of use.

Jenkin
Jan 21, 2003

Piracy is our only option.

pnumoman posted:

King Arthur is one of the few brands in the US that has good quality unbleached flour available in most supermarkets nation wide. They also put up decent recipes on their website.

And if you ever find yourself in Norwich, VT, they have a really nice storefront and bakery.

Delicious Sci Fi
Jul 17, 2006

You cannot lose if you do not play.

Steve Yun posted:

Target's great for a lot of food shopping, they're relatively new to groceries so they're using low prices to lure in new customers.

Stay the away from their steaks though. I never heard of enhanced beef before Target. All their beef is candy apple red!

Isn't enhanced beef just beef that has been injected with more water, salt and phosphates?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
It says it's injected with a "patented solution"

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

If I get ten spare bucks, it's going for a 30-pack of Schlitz.
Trip report:

I bought 6 "dry" jumbo scallops at the fish market, brought them home and rinsed, patted dry, seasoned with salt and pepper.

Copper skillet on medium heat until hot, added about 1 Tablespoon each of olive oil and butter. When it just started to smoke, the scallops went in.

After about 2 minutes, I could see the crust forming and the edges starting to pull away from the bottom of the pan. I turned them and seared for another 2 minutes.

They came out of the pan, got a hit of lemon juice and went on top of some fettuccine.

It was delicious. What did I learn? When flipping the scallops, you should flip them onto a 'clean' section of the pan. Don't flip them over in place, as that part of the pan is colder than the surrounding area, and the 2nd side will stick more.

I also learned that my camera is hosed, so I couldn't get the photos I wanted of the finished product.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Phummus posted:

Trip report:

I bought 6 "dry" jumbo scallops at the fish market, brought them home and rinsed, patted dry, seasoned with salt and pepper.

Copper skillet on medium heat until hot, added about 1 Tablespoon each of olive oil and butter. When it just started to smoke, the scallops went in.

After about 2 minutes, I could see the crust forming and the edges starting to pull away from the bottom of the pan. I turned them and seared for another 2 minutes.

They came out of the pan, got a hit of lemon juice and went on top of some fettuccine.

It was delicious. What did I learn? When flipping the scallops, you should flip them onto a 'clean' section of the pan. Don't flip them over in place, as that part of the pan is colder than the surrounding area, and the 2nd side will stick more.

I also learned that my camera is hosed, so I couldn't get the photos I wanted of the finished product.

Aren't you now amazed how that's one of the things that the "chefs" consistently gently caress up on Ramsay's "Hell's Kitchen" show?

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Can anyone recommend a basic cookbook? Basic as in "you're finally ready to move on from the George Foreman grill and actually do some prep work that's more than thawing a piece of meat in the sink for four hours?"

Most of my cooking experience comes from reading the direction on the back of a box. I'd like to change that.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Phummus posted:

When flipping the scallops, you should flip them onto a 'clean' section of the pan. Don't flip them over in place, as that part of the pan is colder than the surrounding area, and the 2nd side will stick more.

Ahahahaha, loving Hell! It's so simple! I've always wondered why my scallops stick after they're flipped. Phummus, you've changed my life.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That's also good advice if you're searing a steak and have room in the pan to put it on a fresh spot. You'll get a much better sear on the second side that way.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

CobiWann posted:

Can anyone recommend a basic cookbook?

How To Cook Everything by Mark Bittman for the practice.
On Food and Cooking by Harold McGee for the theory and a wealth of background.

POWERBALL
Feb 16, 2012

by zen death robot
Can someone tell me why my roasts keep coming out unbearably dry? I have tried to cook a 3lb pork tenderloin twice now, once in a shallow baking sheet uncovered at 350 and once in a dutch oven, covered and filled halfway with water at 350. I used about 30 minutes per pound.

Someone please just tell me specifically what to do because I am dumb.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

I'm making chicken tikka masala in the slow cooker. The recipe calls for 1 tbsp tikka paste but I forgot to pick this up. It gives the option to substitute curry paste + lemon juice but I don't have curry paste either.

Can I substitute curry powder or some blend of spices? The recipe contains plenty of tomatoes and diced garlic and ginger, so I don't think the consistency of the paste is critical. I also found this ingredient list for tikka masala paste:

quote:

2 cloves of garlic / a thumb-sized piece of fresh root ginger / 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper / 1 tablespoon smoked paprika / 2 teaspoons garam masala / ½ teaspoon sea salt / 2 tablespoons groundnut oil / 2 tablespoons tomato purée / 2 fresh red chillies / a small bunch of fresh coriander / 1 tablespoon desiccated coconut / 2 tablespoons ground almonds
Spices for toasting 1 teaspoon cumin seeds / 1 teaspoon coriander seeds

I have everything here except the chilies, almonds, nut oil, and fresh spices (have them dried though). But that just leaves things that I'll be throwing in anyway.

Thoughts? Here's the recipe I'm trying: http://www.mealplanning101.com/2009/07/slow-cooker-chicken-tikka-masala.html

I've got 90 minutes to get the slow cooker going. Any help is appreciated!

Fake edit: One more option would be to pick up tikka paste or curry paste on my way home from work, but that would leave it in the crock pot for only 1.5-2 hours instead of the full 8.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

BUTT CONSPIRACY posted:

Can someone tell me why my roasts keep coming out unbearably dry? I have tried to cook a 3lb pork tenderloin twice now, once in a shallow baking sheet uncovered at 350 and once in a dutch oven, covered and filled halfway with water at 350. I used about 30 minutes per pound.

Someone please just tell me specifically what to do because I am dumb.

30 minutes per pound is way too long. Do you have an oven thermometer? when I do pork loin, I sear it off in a blazing hot pan, then toss it in the oven and roast it until it reaches 138. Then rest it, and carryover will take it above 145(the fda approved temp for pork). A tenderloin is a little thinner, so you may want to cook it up to 140 then rest at least 15 minutes before cutting. A normal sized loin (2 or 2 1/2 pounds?) generally takes me 45 minutes or so.

Attempting to cook it based on weight alone is really difficult. The shape of the roast, the starting temperature, your oven's ability to hold heat... all affect how long it takes to cook. If you cook it to temperature, you will have perfect product every time. It also helps to tie it to make it rounder so that it cooks more evenly.

If you follow these instructions, you'll get a great product without having to water it down with brining.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

FGR is absolutely right, it is very hard to cook by time. Especially when the times were developed using a different oven than yours.

Get a probe thermometer like this, you can get one for less than $20:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

My favorite way to roast a pork tenderloin is rub it with olive oil and put it in a covered vessel of some sort, fat side up. Lay a couple strips of bacon on top if there's not much fat. Stick in the oven at about 225 for six or seven hours. You should get tender, juicy meat butter swimming in its own fluids, no seasonings or sauce required.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Splizwarf posted:

How To Cook Everything by Mark Bittman for the practice.

Ordered from Amazon. Thanks!

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

You should know that Bittman is a solid reference, but his recipes tend to be under-spiced, under-salted, and under-sauced. In that respect I guess it's a good tool for learning how to cook to your tastes. Just remember to taste your food as you're making something, and if a dish comes out bland you should feel free to gently caress with the flavorings.

Remember, there's no shame in making something that's not great the first time you make it. Tossing out the occasional failed meal is the price of learning how to cook, and things are always better the second, third, fourth, etc. time you make them. Good luck, and stop back in for any more questions – this thread tends to respond pretty quickly, sometimes in time for you to save dinner!

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

CobiWann posted:

Ordered from Amazon. Thanks!
Ratio by Michael Ruhlman is a phenomenal book if you like to tinker with recipes.

Bittman's pancake recipe is my absolute favorite because I barely have to remember anything, and I get to whip egg whites, which never fails to fascinate me because I'm a big idiot :3:

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Kenning posted:

You should know that Bittman is a solid reference, but his recipes tend to be under-spiced, under-salted, and under-sauced. In that respect I guess it's a good tool for learning how to cook to your tastes.

Yeah, it's intentionally bland and that's why. Anything you like, add more of next time you make it and see what that does.

scuz posted:

Ratio by Michael Ruhlman is a phenomenal book if you like to tinker with recipes.

Seconding this, heavily. Get it as a counterpoint to the Bittman book, I wish I'd started my cooking life with Ratio. It's a hard book to use for me because I was brought up in a rigid recipes cooking environment, I can only imagine how great it would be if I had found it when I was untrained.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Ratio is really awesome, it is such a simple concept but something that I just didn't get for years. The Flavor Bible is also cool, it really helps when trying to invent a recipe or decide how to spice something.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Splizwarf posted:

Seconding this, heavily. Get it as a counterpoint to the Bittman book, I wish I'd started my cooking life with Ratio. It's a hard book to use for me because I was brought up in a rigid recipes cooking environment, I can only imagine how great it would be if I had found it when I was untrained.
It's a beautiful wonderland of missteps, flashes of brilliance, and the persistent antagonizing of one's self to get off your rear end and make poo poo up.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
I got the impression Ruhlman is the "I wrote it because I wanted to" type rather than the "Hey I got a book contract, better do a good job!" type. So candid and off-center odd. The Elements of Cooking is the same way, and I love both books dearly. Sterile, his books are not; it's like he's in the room with you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

I made the mistake of leaving my marble rolling pin out, so when my kid did the dishes he decided to be helpful and put it away. He knew it went on top of the fridge, so he just stuck it up there...facing out. It has a cradle to keep it from rolling around, but he ignored it.

This morning he opened the freezer and hey, guess what? The rolling pin rolled off the top of the fridge.

He's lucky he didn't break his head open. I think it glanced off his foot, no broken bones. The handle shattered, and I was too upset to look at the stone and make sure it was okay.

I just... :argh:

And of course his attitude is that it's just a rolling pin, I can get a new one on Amazon for like sixteen bucks. My mom owned this rolling pin and a matching marble pastry board years before I was even born, it has sentimental value as well as being a damned fine tool.

When I get home from work I will assess the damage and decide if it's just a matter of gluing the handle back together or if there's more damage than that. I really hate to have to replace it :( Plus I just really hate the careless attitude that destroying something doesn't matter as long as you can get a new one.