Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
Both of those shows show up for me on the netflix xbox program.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
And for me. Try reinstalling your app?

HappyBee
Oct 3, 2006
The happiest bee in all the land

jojoinnit posted:

And for me. Try reinstalling your app?

That's really weird. I'm in Canada, maybe that's the problem? Is the content different here compared to the States?

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math
Yes, media licensing differs from country to country, so Netflix Canada has a different catalog.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
So I've marathoned through the X-Files, am on season 9, and yeah...this just isn't working. Mulder's departure really hurting the show for me. Since I'm sure you guys have seen it already, which episodes in season 9 and worth watching? I want to believe it's the same show, but now it just feels off. :(

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

jojoinnit posted:

FYI all the Starz movies are leaving on the 29th, so you're down to the wire to watch stuff like Toy Story and Bad Lieutenant (which was surprisingly good).

And for god's sake, if you haven't watched Party Down yet DROP EVERYTHING RIGHT NOW AND WATCH IT! BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)

Gaunab posted:

So I've marathoned through the X-Files, am on season 9, and yeah...this just isn't working. Mulder's departure really hurting the show for me. Since I'm sure you guys have seen it already, which episodes in season 9 and worth watching? I want to believe it's the same show, but now it just feels off. :(

I really liked a lot of Season 9. It's not as good as the show's peak, but it has its strengths. John Doe is okay, Audrey Pauley was pretty good, but the absolute best one was Sunshine Days, the second-to-last episode. It rules.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I've been watching X-files as well, and am at the last ep right now. i think Mulder was great at first, but then sucked when he came back the first time, and then he leaves again and the show doesn't even hardly need him by then.

There is entirely too much Scully's baby / Terminator guy gets hurt episodes though holy poo poo guys.

Spanrah
May 6, 2006
These are small, Those are far away

Light Gun Man posted:

I've been watching X-files as well, and am at the last ep right now.

I marathoned X-files last year - the last episode was epic! Shame that I had no idea what was going on in the plot since season 6 though.

MacGowans Teeth
Aug 13, 2003

Gaunab posted:

I was not a big X-Files fan, but the best episode I saw in season 9 was "Improbable," with Burt Reynolds as...well, I don't know, but he was hilarious.

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro
That episode was awesome, I love how the X-Files would have a really great tongue-in-cheek episode every now and again. My favorite was the vampire episode, I can't remember the title. The series did kind of go downhill though, which was sad, but I ought to watch it again, too.

particle409
Jan 15, 2008

Thou bootless clapper-clawed varlot!

Gaunab posted:

I watched everything, and it just gets lovely. Read the descriptions. Anything that sounds like a one-off episode, monster of the week flavor might be good. Pass on anything that deals with the overall plot arc of Skully's baby or aliens. I had no idea what was going on by the end, it was all stupid bullshit.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Gizmodo made a list of the best Starz content that will be pulled tomorrow:

Toy Story 3
Tron: Legacy
That Thing You Do!
Elizabeth
Robin Hood: Men in Tights
Peter Pan
Scarface
Apocalypto
Hackers
JFK
Teen Wolf
Scream
Airheads
Twins
Tank Girl
Rumble in the Bronx
Spy Hard
Airport
The Nutty Professor
Young Frankenstein
Beetlejuice
Sparticus
Let Me In
Howl's Moving Castle
Party Down

raven77
Jan 28, 2006

Nevermore.
Didn't see this mentioned yet, it's not a "favorite available right now" but it's definitely something to look forward to: The Artist and other Weinstein Co. films will be coming to Netflix Instant. And since this is part of a multi-year deal, that bodes well for the future of Netflix Instant in my opinion.

As for stuff up right now that I'm watching: Farscape. I was such a fan when it was on SyFy and I got nostalgic for it a few nights ago when I saw it on Instant Watch. Man, it didn't necessarily age well in terms of special effects, but I'm still enjoying it. I'd recommend it to anyone who's up for some solid, fun scifi.

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

And I made a list of the worst Starz content that will be pulled tomorrow:

Are We There Yet?
Battlefield Earth
City of Life and Death
Daddy Day Care
Dunston Checks In
Friday After Next
Ghoulies II
Gnomeo & Juliet
Various movie spin-offs of Hercules: The Legendary Journey
Hulk
Kazaam
Little Bigfoot
Little Bigfoot 2: The Journey Home
Mars Needs Moms!
The Pebble and the Penguin
The Santa Clause 2
The Stupids

See? Always a silver lining!

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

MrGreenShirt posted:

And I made a list of the worst Starz content that will be pulled tomorrow:

The Stupids

See? Always a silver lining!
You shut your whore mouth. The Stupids is a masterpiece that will someday give Tom Arnold the recognition he deserves.

BrokenKnees
Aug 28, 2008

Ow.
I'm pretty sure you put Kazaam in the wrong list.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
All I know is, they pulled Boss without any warning. I was 3 episodes in and enjoying the hell out of it.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Does anyone else keep getting the same movies recommended, even if you've already seen and starred them?

For example, "Action and Adventure" has Lethal Weapon, Die Hard, Terminator, Way of the Gun, Escape from New York; all of which I've given 4+ stars. And all of these films are on the "Watch It Again" list as well.

Why doesn't Netflix clear them out, I'm certain there's more than 75 movies per genre.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
Yes. I think it's because Netflix has static lists like Action and Adventure that don't change in response to you having rated movies. It's definitely a flawed system though, like half the movies on the home page I've already seen.

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp
In another thread, the MPAA film ratings system was being discussed and it made me remember Intimacy, the only film I've ever seen in general release that had hardcore sex scenes but no X rating.

The basic plot is that a lonely divorced bartender, played by Mark Rylance, meets a woman; he knows nothing about her, not even her name, but after they meet she shows up at his house every Wednesday afternoon for a bout of frantic, wordless sex, then gets up and leaves. Eventually he can't bear not knowing more about her and decides to follow her to find out who she is and why she's doing this. It's actually a very good movie (thanks largely to the fine, courageous work of the two lead actors) though it has a muddled second act and falls apart more or less completely in the final third. What works well is its exploration of the nature of genuine intimacy, of human connection and the lack of it, not just between Rylance and Fox's characters but between husbands and wives, parents and children, brothers and sisters. It also has a ton of full male and female nudity (Fox and Rylance spend the majority of the first part of the film naked) as well as at least three scenes of unsimulated sex, if not more; the director was understandably reticent on the subject while he was still trying to get an NC-17 rating for the film in the US.

Both actors have given painfully honest interviews about the difficulties and lingering emotional scars from making the film, for both themselves and for their significant others. Intimacy may show up on a lot of those "Mr Skin"-type websites, but it is probably the most melancholy, thought-provoking, least sexy "erotic" film you'll ever see, and it's well worth a watch (good soundtrack by Tindersticks, too.) I was surprised it was on Netflix Instant.

Edit: fixed imdb link

bonestructure has a new favorite as of 00:17 on Feb 29, 2012

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Xandu posted:

Yes. I think it's because Netflix has static lists like Action and Adventure that don't change in response to you having rated movies. It's definitely a flawed system though, like half the movies on the home page I've already seen.

It's weird, even those non-static lists (on PS3) like "Dramas based on real life" or "Gritty 70's Thrillers" will still have Hunger or Midnight Cowboy on them, even though I've watched and rated them.

And then the Starz titles that are disappearing list will have movies I want to watch but had no idea were even available.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
I just tried watching High School of the Dead and it made me realize that never getting into anime was a good decision. It would actually be a decent horror show if every scene didn't have an obligatory teen girl upskirt shot or bouncing set of tits. Every damned scene.

I just don't get it.

I am going to go try this Tucker movie you guys are gushing about.

ZombieSnot
Jan 2, 2011

Entrenched in nutritious rotting flesh.

The Dregs posted:

I just tried watching High School of the Dead and it made me realize that never getting into anime was a good decision. It would actually be a decent horror show if every scene didn't have an obligatory teen girl upskirt shot or bouncing set of tits. Every damned scene.

I just don't get it.

I eventually gave up on High School of the Dead as well. The "fan service" was just nauseating after awhile. Tucker and Dale however is absolutely amazing.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I was scared to watch Tucker and Dale cause of all the gush and hype in this thread. I was afraid it wouldn't live up to it but it delivers on all counts.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
After the Disapointment of High School of the Dead, I figured I'd try another zombie cartoon. Dead Space: Downfall

Now this cartoon kicks all kinds of rear end even if you never played the video game. I am going to buy the video game now because of the rear end kicking going on in this movie. It is like Aliens meets Dawn of the Dead. With lightsaber-chainsaws.

Tucker and Dale was awesome as well.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
I actually like High School of the Dead. The bouncing tits start out gratuitous and annoying, then get disturbing... and then by the time you see poo poo like :nws: this :nws: it loops right back around to absolutely hilarious.

The people who made this have absolutely no shame, and they revel in it.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

WickedIcon posted:

I actually like High School of the Dead. The bouncing tits start out gratuitous and annoying, then get disturbing... and then by the time you see poo poo like :nws: this :nws: it loops right back around to absolutely hilarious.

I am so glad I stopped in episode two.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

WickedIcon posted:

I knew there was a reason I never bothered to add that to my instant queue.

scorpiobean
Dec 22, 2004

I'll have one sugar coma drink, please.
Guess who's having a frantic Party Down marathon... :smith:

Any episodes I should make sure I see before Netflix takes it down? And when they say that it's available until Feb 29, does that mean they take it down right at midnight? Or do I have until midnight March 1?

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)

scorpiobean posted:

Guess who's having a frantic Party Down marathon... :smith:

Any episodes I should make sure I see before Netflix takes it down?

The answer to this is "all of them", sorry.

Gordong Dongbay
Oct 18, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

The Dregs posted:

I just don't get it.

Don't judge the entire genre of anime based off this horrible show. I'm a casual anime watcher and don't know a lot about it but I know shows like this are the bottom of the barrel when it comes to anime. Try some of these:

Mushishi - The story essentially follows Ginko who is a Mushi Master. Mushi are creatures who have supernatural powers that interact and effect humans and nature in various ways. Mushi are described as beings in touch with the essence of life, far more basic and pure than normal living things. Due to their ethereal nature most humans are incapable of perceiving Mushi and are oblivious to their existence, but there are a few who possess the ability to see and interact with Mushi. Think of it as an anime version of house. Ginko goes from village to village each episode and every episode revolves around him helping people deal with various Mushi. The art is absolutely amazing and the scoring is fantastic. It's a very relaxing anime and it will really immerse you when you watch it. Everyone has to watch this, regardless if you like anime or not.

Eden of the East - Without giving to much away the story deals with a girl who meets a man who is naked and only has a gun and a phone that has access to 8.2 billion yen in digital money. Previous to this meeting Japan has been attacked by several missile strikes and upon meeting the characters Japan has been hit by another. The man is involved in a game set up by a mysterious benefactor who has charged twelve people with the task of saving Japan with the money anyway they wish. They use the money via a operator who will get whatever they ask, if they use up the money selfishly they are "eliminated" from the game. Once again, the art and sound is great on this one. The plot is extremely captivating and had me hooked all the way through. I believe there is a feature length film that follows up the series once it ends.

Baccano! - I've only seen a few episodes of this but I liked it so far and have heard good things. Baccano! is an action-packed murder mystery of the 1930s in America which involves a pair of insane -yet highly succesful- serial robbers, civil war in the mafia, blood-thirsty cults dressed in white, immortals from the 1700s, and above all, alchemists. Whether taking place in the gold mines of California or the mafia-infested New York, aboard the haunted Flying Pussyfoot in 1932 or a lonely ship at sea in 1711, this fast-paced series links countless characters and a myriad of plots simultaneously under the single name of Baccano, an Italian word meaning "ruckus". Presented in no particular order, nevertheless chronologically, Baccano! leaves the viewers to put this story together themselves.

Hopefully this will get you on the right track in terms of quality anime. All three of these are available on instant watch as well. There are a lot of good series on instant, you just have to find what kind of anime you like. There are tons of different sub-genres in anime but I just hope you don't judge it based on Highschool of the Dead.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Highschool of the Dead is like a trivia game to see if you can spot all the references to other zombie fiction... there are shitloads.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

The Dregs posted:

I just don't get it.

Well, that's the point. It's a fan service anime, 100%.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Liku posted:

I'd almost agree that it was just fan-service but then panty shots get intermingled with being getting savagely mauled by zombies....and then it just goes out of fanservice into something much more horrible. Additionally, I highly recommend people stay away from Queen's Blade on Netflix because well....it's worse.

scorpiobean
Dec 22, 2004

I'll have one sugar coma drink, please.

User-Friendly posted:

The answer to this is "all of them", sorry.

Dammit, I was afraid this was going to be the case. Well I at least got through the first season, and I'm just going to hope really hard that the rest of it's still up when I get home from work tonight.

SKEET SKEET
Jan 2, 2010
Harry Brown is pretty awesome. I am a HUGE Michael Caine fan though, so I may be biased, but he is pretty great in this one.

I was also pretty psyched to learn that Rise of the Footsoldier and Football Factory are on Instant. Been wanting to see both of those for a while.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

SKEET SKEET posted:

Harry Brown is pretty awesome. I am a HUGE Michael Caine fan though, so I may be biased, but he is pretty great in this one.

Going to second this, awesome film. And the original Italian Job is up for viewing for more Michael Caine goodness, it's been up for a while but drat if it doesn't have a sweet chase through Italy.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Liku posted:

It weird because my exposure to it has always been the opposite, that it's one of those animes that pops up every few years (the last time this happened was Death Note, I think) where anime fans swear that it's good even if you don't like anime. Some people whose opinions I generally trust and agree with assured me that it was a pretty decent tribute to old-school horror movies and then I watched it and it was just embarrassing.

SKEET SKEET posted:

I like Michael Caine but Harry Brown is one of those movies where I couldn't enjoy it because of the awful subtext. Even with Michael Caine the characters and action are nowhere near good enough to make up for it being an awful vigilante wank fantasy about how great it would be if we could murder all those shifty urban youth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

I watched Sin Nombre tonight and enjoyed it. The plot is a little contrived, but the acting is great and overall it's enjoyable. Also I don't know how long it's been up there but BASEketball recently showed up in either my recommended or new releases and was the perfect light-hearted follow-up to Sin Nombre. Definitely a solid swansong for David Zucker's career before it died along with the grossly unfunny American Carol.

The Third Man posted:

My favorite was the vampire episode, I can't remember the title.

Bad Blood, Season 5.

And as has been mentioned, Season 9 does have some solid monster-of-the-week episodes, but you still have to be weary of Reyes episodes because Reyes is 10 kinds of awful. I always wondered if maybe Reyes caught an unfair amount of poo poo because of her timing in entering the show during the initial airing, but every single friend that I have shotgunned through the series, the first episode she's been in they have all said something to the effect of "who the gently caress is she and why is she here? is she in more episodes?" The feeling of disappointment when I answer them is palpable. I think the only "arc" story worth watching in the final season is the one where Doggett finds out what happened to his son, Release. The creepy psychic kid is awesome.

mr. mephistopheles has a new favorite as of 11:58 on Mar 3, 2012

• Locked thread